Chapter Eight

Soulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: No special A/N this week, only praying that I don't disappoint too much with the following few chapters...

***

Taeyeon slams the door after entering the apartment, drops her bag and slumps into the couch.

“Did the door offend you?!”

She hears her housemate’s shout but she can’t be bothered. Her mood has been ruined since what happened with Tiffany in the morning.

Sunny appears in the living room and sees Taeyeon’s face buried in one of the cushions. “What happened?”

Taeyeon doesn’t reply.

“Move.” Sunny kicks one of Taeyeon’s legs. 

Taeyeon reluctantly moves, making way for Sunny.

“What’s making you so angry?”

“Everything.”

“Did something happen in school?”

“…”

“Shall I make a guess?”

“…”

“Tiffany?”

“Don’t even mention her name,” Taeyeon firmly states.

“What did she do?”

Taeyeon recalls what Tiffany said that morning. It’s burdensome. “Ugh!”

Taeyeon almost throws the cushion but Sunny manages to pull it out of Taeyeon’s hand before she could.

“This poor cushion did not offend you!”

“Ugh!” Taeyeon groans in frustration and kicks the air.

“Seriously, why are you acting like this?!” Sunny tries to hold on to the agitated girl. “What did she do to make you so angry?”

“Go ask her.”

“You know we’re not exactly friends.”

“I don’t care.”

Taeyeon stands up after saying, picks up the bag that she carelessly threw aside earlier and goes to her room. She throws herself on the bed and replays everything that happened.

So you find my actions burdensome? That’s the reason behind your avoidance? What the hell did I even do that’s burdensome?!

She huffs and flips, now facing the ceiling.

I don’t understand. What do you mean by my actions are ‘burdensome’? Did I cross the line? Did I do something overboard? But that doesn’t make sense because I didn’t do anything over, did I? If anything, she was the one who tried to kiss me in the car.

Something dawns upon her.

Wait, why did she try to kiss me?

Taeyeon feels the steady increment of her heart rate.

She doesn’t like me so why did she do that? Could it be?

She shakes her head and slaps herself lightly.

Nah, that’s impossible. Stop dreaming, Kim Taeyeon.

A sigh.

Is this it? I can’t even be friends with you now because I’ll make you feel uncomfortable?

She sneers at herself.

As if it wasn’t bad enough that I can never be with my soulmate. Now my soulmate hates me and I can’t even stay around her anymore.

She lets out a sad chuckle.

So this is how my life is going to end up huh?

===

“Where’s Taeyeon?”

“She said she isn’t hungry so she went to the student lounge.”

“How was she in class?”

“The usual? Although a little quieter.” Sooyoung takes the seat across Sunny. “Why?”

“She slammed the door when she came back yesterday and was furious,” Sunny explains. “I don’t know what happened but it has something to do with Tiffany.”

“Tiffany? She’s angry at her?”

“I think so, though I’m not sure why.”

“Didn’t you ask?”

“I probed but she told me to ask Tiffany myself. She even told me to not mention her name so I think she’s really angry.”

“What can Tiffany do to tick her off like this?”

“Beats me.”

Sooyoung suddenly recalls something. “Do you think it has something to do with the avoidance recently?”

“Avoidance?”

“Ah, right. You weren’t there. Taeyeon and I went to the library last week and we saw Tiffany there. Taeyeon got rejected again when she tried asking Tiffany if she was free so she thought Tiffany was avoiding her.” Sooyoung then frowns. “It can’t be, can it?”

“I don’t know. I honestly don’t.” Sunny sighs. “But it has to be something serious for her to react like this.”

“Should we ask Tiffany about it?”

“Let’s give it some time to see if there’s any change.”

Sooyoung nods her head. “I’ll take note of Taeyeon in class in the meantime.”

“Thanks, Sooyoung-ah.”

===

Tiffany stirs her coffee mindlessly as her mind travels somewhere else.

“Did you ask me out to watch you stir your coffee?”

“No.”

“Then?”

Tiffany sighs and looks at the cup sitting in front of her. Even coffee reminds me of you now.

“First you space out, then you stir your coffee like no tomorrow and now you’re looking at it and sighing?” Jessica leans back into her chair. “Something is wrong.”

“You’re right. Something is.” Very wrong, in fact.

“What?”

Tiffany only lets out another sigh.

“Does it have to do with Taeyeon?”

Tiffany raises her brows. “What makes you say that?”

“Well, it can’t be Hojoon Oppa since I just saw you two yesterday and you don’t exactly have other friends besides me.”

“I have other friends!”

“You mean acquaintances.”

“Whatever, Jess.”

“So what did she do?”

“…”

“Tiff?”

“Yeah?”

“I asked what Taeyeon did.”

“Nothing.” Tiffany sips her coffee. It’s because she’s not doing anything that’s worrying. I would rather have her dump coffee on me then this. Or does she hate me now that she doesn’t even want to waste her energy doing that?

“It can’t be nothing for you to behave like this.”

“She did nothing. Really.”

“So you’re the one who did something to her?”

“…”

“What did you do?”

“…”

“Does it have something to do with what happened at the library last week?”

“…”

“Did you lie to her again?”

“…”

“Tiff.”

“It’s nothing huge, don’t worry.”

“So you’re going to keep things from your best friend now?”

“I don’t mean to, but I just…” Tiffany sighs. “I don’t know how to put it.”

“Just tell me.”

“It’s not that easy. I’ll tell you after I figure it out okay?”

“Fine. You promise?”

“Promise.”

===

It has been a week since what happened and Taeyeon has calmed down, although she wishes that she can remain angry at Tiffany for what the latter did.

She told herself to ignore Tiffany and to avoid her at all cost and she succeeded. She managed to stay away for a week, but now that she has cooled down, she finds herself starting to think about her soulmate again.

Are you eating proper lunch instead of just a sandwich? Do you have coffee to help you stay awake in class? And most importantly… Are you happier without me around you now?

So she decides to check on Tiffany without the latter knowing.

She starts eating her lunch slower. She starts taking a longer time to start her car in the campus’ car park. She starts taking long ways to the lecture halls and tutorial rooms. She starts staying in the library for no reason. She doesn’t want to, but she finds herself doing it anyway.

Why am I so weak against her?

However, whenever she really ends up in the same place as Tiffany, she escapes subconsciously. At first, she thought she escaped because a part of her was still angry at Tiffany so she didn’t want to see her, but she realized the real reason later – It’s because she didn’t want to remind herself that Tiffany and her are no longer friends that can hang out around each other again.

But here I am caring about you eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter