Chapter Ten

Soulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Thank you to every one of you who wished me for my trip. I'm finally back and here you go.

***

“Oppa just appeared at the door with this. What a surprise! Thank you, Oppa.”

She reads the tweet and taps on the photo that is attached to it. It’s a photo of Tiffany with the bouquet of pink roses from Hojoon.

Those roses can’t hold a candle to you.

She continues scrolling and sees another tweet from the same girl.

“Why are we at a sailing club? Don’t tell me…”

So you’ve used your dad’s yacht huh, Oppa? Taeyeon chuckles to herself.

“Oh. My. God. We’re on a yacht.”

“Sunbathing on a yacht, check.”

“Oppa is making us dinner and it smells really good. I’m so hungry.”

“The stars look extra pretty today. Or is it because I’m looking at it from a deck?”

“Thank you for the amazing surprise, Oppa. It’s one of the best birthdays I’ve ever had.”

The tweets stop there and Taeyeon exits the application. She looks at the time.

23:52

She opens the chat application and stares at it for the longest time, ambivalent.

Should I send it or should I not?

She taps on the chat box, types a message and stares at it again.

No. She doesn’t want you around her.

She backspaces.

But she’s still a friend.

She retypes the same message.

Will she even want to see a text from me?

She backspaces again.

It’s only courtesy though.

And she types another message.

Nah, she sounded like she enjoyed herself today. Better not ruin this good day for her.

She backspaces and presses the home button on her phone, exiting the application before she wavers again.

Happy birthday, Fany-ah.

===

Tiffany spends the next day at home, locking herself in the room.

Hojoon has called her several times but she refuses to pick any of it up. All she did was drop him a message assuring him that she is fine and just needs some rest after the long day yesterday.

A lot is going through her mind. She is tired, confused and very much scared.

Okay. Calm down, Tiffany Hwang. Let’s go through this from the top.

She first pictures the times with Hojoon in her head – from the time they first bumped into each other to how they got together followed by every date they went on and all the moments they’ve had together.

I was happy. I really was.

She then thinks about the time she has spent with Taeyeon. A smile creeps up her face unconsciously when she remembers the first time they watched Iron Man together.

Which friends watch movies like this anyway?

The smile remains on her face when she recalls the night Taeyeon ordered her to warm some milk for herself through a phone call when she couldn’t sleep and that one time Taeyeon brought her coffee when she was still sleepy for a morning lecture.

You were always the attentive one.

The smile disappears when she remembers Taeyeon’s profile from the exhibition they went together. She can still remember the sad look on Taeyeon’s face vividly.

Are you still sad? Have you solved the problem you had from back then?

Every moment with Taeyeon appears in her mind one after another, and it was only then she realizes that with Taeyeon, she always felt happy or even blissful and never sad. Taeyeon always has a way to make her smile regardless of how tiny the gesture is. Sure, she felt blissful too with Hojoon but something is different whenever she’s with Taeyeon. She would feel inexplicably comfortable and Taeyeon never ceases to surprise her with how thoughtful or observant the girl can be. Taeyeon always made her feel cared and important – something that she didn’t feel as much in comparison with when she’s with Hojoon. 

And I’m only realizing it now. But what does this mean?

The memory from last night replays in her mind again.

This can’t be… Right? It can’t be.

She retrieves her phone from the side table and unlocks. She goes to her photo album and looks through the photos she took with Hojoon yesterday.

It was a great day. I was happy with Oppa. I am happy with Oppa.

She stops scrolling when she reaches a photo she took with Taeyeon. She sees Taeyeon’s goofy expression and chuckles to herself.

How are you my age? You look like a kid. A cute kid.

She stares at the shorter girl’s face.  

I miss you, Taeyeon-ah.

She had to stop herself from using her finger to trace Taeyeon’s jawline. Her eyes travel down to Taeyeon’s lips. She gulps.

I’m not falling for you, am I?

===

“Hi Taeyeon. It’s me, Jessica. I heard you’re looking for me?”

“Ah, yes, I am. I need your help. Will you be able to meet me today? It won’t take long.”

“Sure. Time?”

“I’m free for the whole of today so you can pick.”

“In that case, 4pm?”

“Sure. You can text me the place later.”

===

Taeyeon sees Jessica entering the café they agreed to meet at and waves to catch the girl’s attention.

Jessica sees it, smiles, and walks over.

“Hi. Thanks for agreeing to meet me. The coffee is on me so go ahead and order.”

“Thanks in advance then.”

Jessica places an order quickly and thanks the waiter before turning back to Taeyeon.

“So what kind of help do you need?”

Taeyeon slides a paper bag across the table. “I need you to pass this to Tiffany for me.”

“Why can’t you give it to her yourself?”

“As you may already know, we’re not exactly on talking terms right now.”

“Speaking of that, what happened between you two anyway?”

“You should be asking your friend that question.”

Jessica can sense Taeyeon’s subtle anger in her tone and is secretly glad when she sees the waiter coming back to their table with her coffee.

Taeyeon too, takes the time to calm h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter