Chapter Nine

Soulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author note at the end of the chapter this week!

***

Taeyeon unlocks her car and sees the familiar car that is parked right next to hers. She sees the owner of the pink car coming out of the driver’s seat and tightens the hold of her car keys. You don’t look bad so I assume you’re living well without my burdensome actions?

Tiffany pockets her car keys and looks up to see Taeyeon in front of her.

“T-Taeyeon-ah…” Tiffany calms herself down from the surprise meeting. “How have you been?”

“Great.” Taeyeon puts on a cold front. “I mean how bad can things get when the worst already happened right?”

“Whatever happened the other day, it’s not what you think–”

“My ears are still working well so I heard everything you said. Loud and clear,” Taeyeon says as coolly as possible. “And sorry, I didn’t mean to appear in front of you but my car happens to be next to yours. Don’t worry, I’ll be out in a few seconds so you don’t have to feel burdened by my presence.”

Taeyeon walks past the girl to get her car but Tiffany catches her arm.

“Don’t be like this?”

“Be like what?” Taeyeon yanks her arm free. “I think you’re the one who shouldn’t act like this if you have decided to cut off friendship with me.”

“That was never what I wanted.”

“Oh, so you’re uncomfortable around me but you still want this friendship? Talk about irony,” Taeyeon scoffs. “Or do you think I’m an easy person who would come crawling back to you despite what you said?”

“I don’t mean that.”

“Whatever, Tiffany.”

Taeyeon goes into her car and drives off within seconds.

Tiffany can only watch Taeyeon leave. I really didn’t mean that, Taeyeon-ah. I’m sorry.

===

Sunny hears the door unlocking followed by a slam.

“Yah! The door is innocent!”

Another slam.

Sunny sighs. I guess something happened again. She walks to Taeyeon’s room and knocks on her door.

“Can I come in?”

No reply.

“I’m coming in if you don’t say no.”

Sunny gives it another five seconds before opening the door. She sees the discarded bag on the floor and its owner laying on her bed.

“Did something happen again?”

“…”

“Did you see Tiffany?”

A muffled reply comes. “How did you know?”

“No one else can get you so worked up. What did she do?”

Taeyeon groans and sits up. “She asked how I’ve been.”

“Out of the blue?”

“I met her at the car park and that was the first thing she asked.”

“What else did she say?”

“That what she did is not what I think it is.”

“What is that supposed to mean?”

“I wish I knew.”

“And how did you react?”

“I don’t know. Cold?”

“How cold?”

“Well, I didn’t stay there for long.”

“Did she apologize?”

“No.”

“Good job on being cold then.”

“She said she doesn’t want to cut off our friendship.”

“After telling you that she gets uncomfortable around you?” Sunny furrows her brows. “Then what is it that she wants?”

“Like I said, I wish I knew but I don’t and I never will,” Taeyeon states. “Don’t think I want to know either. I’ve already resigned to fate.”

“Taeng…”

“This is bull, by the way.” Taeyeon points at the countdown timer on her wrist after taking her watch off. “Don’t ever look forward to it because you can end up being miserable.” She moves to her wardrobe to grab a clean set of clothes. “Exhibit A right here in front of you.”

“I’m not really looking forward to it either after seeing you like this.”

“Thanks for the comfort, Sunny. I appreciate it,” Taeyeon smiles in sarcasm before she walks towards the door. “I’m gonna shower.”

Sunny exits with Taeyeon and goes back to her room. Looks like the talk will have to come sooner than I thought.

===

Sunny tells Sooyoung everything about what happened with Tiffany that Taeyeon told her.

“I don’t understand. So what does she want?”

“We’re about to find out.” Sunny raises her hand to catch the attention of the girl who is looking for a seat in the bustling cafeteria.

“What do you mean?” Sooyoung looks behind. “Oh.”

Tiffany sees a raised hand from one of the tables nearby and walks over.

“Hi Sunny. Hi Sooyoung,” Tiffany greets.

“Hi. Join us. It’s going to be hard finding a table now.”

“Thank you.” Tiffany takes a seat across the two people. “Where’s Taeyeon?”

“Don’t act like you care…” Sooyoung mumbles.

Sunny elbows Sooyoung’s side when she hears what the latter said.

Tiffany looks at Sooyoung in confusion. “Sorry?”

“Taeyeon said she didn’t feel like eating so she’s staying in the student lounge,” Sunny explains. “She hasn’t been joining us lately actually.”

“Does she feel unwell? Is she okay?” Tiffany asks worriedly. Have you not been eating, Taeyeon-ah? Why?

“She’s anything but okay thanks to you,” Sooyoung says aloud on purpose.

Sunny sees the shock on Tiffany’s face and quickly tries to save the situation.

“Sorry, she didn’t mean that.” Sunny looks at Sooyoung and sends a signal with her eyes. “Don’t you have a class soon? You should get going.”

“But–”

“Remember to get Taeng a sandwich on the way back.”

Sunny stares at Sooyoung with a serious expression and the latter finally exhales in defeat.

“Fine. I’ll see you after school.”

Sooyoung shoulders her bag and leaves the table without saying anything to Tiffany.

“Is there a misunderstanding between us?” Tiffany asks cautiously.

“Well, you weren’t expecting a nice treatment after what you did to our best friend, were you?”

“Oh.”

“Can you spare me a bit of time now? I think we need to talk.”

Maybe Sunny can explain to Taeyeon for me. “Sure.”

“I’m going to cut to the chase then. What did Taeyeon do to make you say something so hurtful to her?”

Tiffany swallows. She didn’t expect Sunny to come with that question straight on.

“I really didn’t mean to say that. It was a slip of the tongue.”

“But you thought of that, didn’t you? That slip wouldn’t have happened if you haven’t actually thought of it.”

“I really didn’t mean what I said.”

“That’s not important because the damage has been done. You don’t steal something and then say, ‘Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean to steal,’ and take it as it never happened because the world doesn’t work this way, Tiffany.”

Tiffany bites her tongue, knowing what Sunny said is true.

“Okay, look. I know you’re not a bad person and I believe you didn’t mean it if you say so. What I want to know is the reason behind it. There has to be a reason for you to do something like this.”

“There… is.”

“Was Taeng not a good friend?”

“She is a very good friend.” Too good, in fact…

“Did she pissed you off?”

“No…”

“Did she do something to irritate you?”

“No…”

“Did she cross the line?”

“No…” But what did you mean by her crossing the line? What line?

“Then what did she do to deserve this treatment from you?”

“I…” Tiffany tries to explain but she can’t. She didn’t know how. “I don’t know how to put it.”

“Is it that hard to tell me the reason? That’s the least you can do to justify your action, no?”

“I know, but I really can’t. Not at this point of time because I’m not sure of it myself either.”

“What do you mean?”

“It’s really complicated right now and I need some time but I promise to give an explanation once I have it figured out.”

“Not me. You don’t owe me an explanation so tell that to Taeyeon yourself.”

“I will, I promise.”

“I’m really curious what she did to you to get pushed away like this.”

“Can I ask you a question, Sunny?”

“Shoot.”

“Does Taeyeon treat every of her friends really well?”

“Not every but if you’re a precious one, she d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter