Chapter Thirteen

Soulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi readers!! I am so sorry for the long disappearance because I've been busy with life but just so you guys know, I haven't given up on this fic and I plan to finish it. To make up for the month-long hiatus, I'm giving you double updates today and I hope you'll enjoy them!

***

It’s officially the last day of school before their mid-term break.

“Alas!” Taeyeon clicks the ‘submit’ button and sinks back into her chair.

“Congrats,” Sunny says in a flat tone while focusing on the document she is still typing away.

“How much more to go?”

“I’m actually done but I’m way over the word limit. I’m trying to cut it but I don’t know where to cut.” Sunny ruffles her hair in frustration. “This is so hard!”

“And this is the first time I’m seeing someone having trouble cutting it short instead of writing it.”

“Help me, Taeng.”

“I don’t even know what you’re writing about.”

“Ugh.”

“You’ll get there.” Taeyeon pats Sunny’s shoulder. “You’ll have to eventually.”

“I know,” Sunny groans.

“I’m going to get a drink. Need one?”

“Get me a soda please. I need all the sugar for this assignment.”

“I’m not sure what the link is but sure. Which soda?”

Sunny looks at Taeyeon, unamused. “Do you have to ask? As my best friend, I trust you to know what my favorite is.”

“Who knows if you would like a change today.” Taeyeon rolls her eyes. “This assignment is making you annoying. Please finish it quick.”

“Thanks for that, Kim Taeyeon.”

“You’re most welcome, Lee Soonkyu.”

“Yah!”

“Bye. I’ll be back in ten.”

Taeyeon takes her wallet from her bag and leaves the library.

===

Taeyeon browses through the choices at the vending machine. Coffee or soda? She frowns, not sure which to pick.

“Soda.”

Taeyeon flinches at the sudden voice from behind her. “Jesus, I almost got a heart attack!”

“Hi.” Tiffany laughs. “Sorry I scared you.”

“Hi to you too. Why soda?”

“Because I assume you are done with the assignments you have to hand in before the break?”

“And why is that so?”

“Or else you’ll be burying your head into your laptop still instead of being out here.”

“Stop knowing me so well. It’s borderline creepy."

“Hey! You know me even better and I didn’t even call you creepy!”

Taeyeon stops retaliating because she knows she can’t refute. She turns back to the vending machine and gets herself a soda.

“Want one?”

Tiffany shakes her head.

Taeyeon opens the can and holds it in one hand while the other digs her pocket for more coins. She buys another one for Sunny.

“Who’s that one for?”

“Sunny. She’s still in the library.”

“Oh.”

“Are you done with everything too?”

“Yup. Just submitted the last one about fifteen minutes ago.”

“Congrats on being a free one.”

“Thanks. You too.”

Taeyeon sips the soda and sighs deeply after swallowing it.

“You’re right. Soda was a good choice.”

“Soda always tastes better after you submit your assignment.”

“Are you sure you don’t want it?” Taeyeon holds the can in front of Tiffany. “Come on. Take a sip and feel the greatness.”

“T-thanks.” Tiffany takes the can and drinks a little from it. She then realizes that she just indirectly kissed Taeyeon and blushes at the thought. You’re hopeless, Tiffany Hwang. “Oh yeah, Taeyeon…”

“Hmm?”

“Now that we are finally free from assignments, do you think we should…”

“Ah, the talk?”

“Yeah.”

“Sure. Whenever you’re ready.”

“I am. Are you ready to explain yours too?”

Taeyeon has temporarily forgotten about the explanation she has to give Taeyeon regarding her lie and only remembers when Tiffany brings it up. .

“Taeyeon?”

“Yes?”

“Not ready yet?”

Taeyeon exhales. I’ll have to face it someday anyway.

“Nah, I’m ready.”

“Okay. Um… What about tonight?”

“Fine by me.”

“I’ll see you tonight then. Let’s fix the time and place through text.”

“Sure. See you.”

===

Taeyeon places the can next to Sunny’s laptop.

“Thanks.”

Taeyeon waves it off. “How is it going?”

“50 more words to cut.”

“That’s not too bad.”

“It’s easier said than done. I took forever to cut 50 words just now.”

“Well, good luck with it.”

“I’ll need all the luck to make it before the deadline so thank you.”

Taeyeon leans against the back of her chair and takes off her watch. She touches her countdown timer, staring at it.

What do I tell her? Do I tell her the truth? Do I tell her another lie to cover up this lie? But what is a reasonable lie to come up with? One that she will believe without too much questioning about t? How will she react if I tell her the truth? Do I want to tell her the truth? Will she want to know the truth if I were to tell her honestly? Will she regret knowing it?

“What are you thinking about?”

“Huh?” Taeyeon looks up and turns to Sunny. “You said something?”

“I asked what you’re thinking about.”

“Oh. The timer.”

“What about it?”

“Fany found out that mine is at zero.”

“How?”

“When she came to our apartment last week. You know, the day I was sick?”

“Dang. How did she react?”

“Not as bad as I thought? She didn’t scream at me for lying to her at least.”

“Did she ask you why you lied?”

“We promised to give each other explanations for what we did. We’re doing that tonight, in fact.”

“Tonight? That’s fast. Are you going to tell her the truth?”

“That’s what I’m pondering about,” Taeyeon sighs. “Do you think I should?”

“Well, she deserves to know why. Just like how you deserve to know why she avoided you.”

“What if she reacts badly to it?”

“And what if she doesn’t?”

“You do know that telling her about this literally means confessing to her, right?”

“I do.”

“And you’re still asking me to do it? What if she starts avoiding me again?”

“Like I just said, and what if she doesn’t?” Sunny almost cracks a smile at the excitement of both of them confessing to each other. If only I can tell you now, Taeng.

“You know the chances are slim, Sunny.”

“A slim chance is still a chance.”

“You’re really positive about this, aren’t you?”

“Be optimistic! Everything is possible. Just like how I just finished cutting my essay.” Sunny saves the document. “Finally! Freedom!”

“Congrats on your submission but really? Tell her the truth?”

“Okay, why not you decide after hearing her explanation?”

“What does her explanation have to do with me?”

“You’ll never know.”

“Huh?” Taeyeon is confused. “Do you know something that I don’t?”

“Of course not. Why would I know anything about what happened between the both of you?” Sunny shuts her laptop down after submitting her assignment, suppressing a smile. I swear I can get an Oscar for this act.

“True.”

“Just… think on the spot if you really can’t make up your mind.”

“Best advice I’ve ever gotten. Thanks,” Taeyeon says sarcastically. “You’re no help at all.”

“Hey, I give the best a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter