Two

Behind The Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two

Stay to this chapter to really understand our Min Ah's character development.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

February 2003 - Harbor Haven Orphanage

It has been two years since everything happen. Now, I’m already twelve years old. I’m thankful with my life – whatever happened this past two years, I walked and tried to survive this strong wind. I’ve been Father’s favorite kid in the orphanage – I guess I’m his favorite, because he always praise and always put me first before the others. That’s maybe because he had sympathy to me after what happen the day my brother left the orphanage. What happen to the troublesome kid? Some of them had been transfer to other orphanage. What a relief. Nobody got bullied and bully anymore.

All the kids are being nice to me and I’m happy living here. Sometimes, I will help other kids with study or any other chores they unable to do. Every one even called me noona and respect me like a real sister. Even after losing Minho, the other kid at the orphanage became my healer and medicine.

Today is a fine day like usual when I spent my time alone at the classroom during recess hour. I was drawing the scenery of the backyard garden that can be seen from my view. It was so beautiful. While I was busy drawing, I realized there is a person lurking behind the door looking at me.

“Hi. It is a beautiful drawing.” That woman approaches me and sits next to me while her eyes glued on my draw.

“Hi.”

“Are all these paintings yours?”

“Yes. Do you like them?”

“They're remarkable.”

“Thank you.”

“My name is Hyun Boo Jin. What's yours?”

“Shin Min Ah. Nice to meet you.” I bowed to her. That was the first time I ever talk to a stranger yet I feel so happy when I talk to her.

She is from a fine wealthy family who comes to the orphanage looking for a daughter to adopt. She comes with her husband, and they’re looking for a girl with age of twelve. The specification really fits me. Father suggests the family to take me into their family. That night, Father calls for me, to discuss this matter.

“Min Ah, I know there is still bright future ahead for you. I believe by living with this family, you will be happier and you will see the real picture of the world out there.” My eyes got sparkling as I heard Father’s word. I believe if I walk out there, I will look for Minho and I will build a new life with a new mom and dad even I don’t want to replace my real parents inside my heart.

“Father, this family seems like a good family. I want to be with them but I don’t want to leave my friends here and you and Mother and….” I couldn’t finished my word as I feel so sad thinking of leaving them.

Father caressed my head. “Don’t be sad kid. If you miss us, just come here and visit us. We always open our hand and heart to welcome you.” The way Father comforts me make it even harder for me to leave him and this entire place. I hug him as I feel so grateful to have a caretaker like him to take care of me after my parents died.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A week after

After I’m done packing all my stuff, I walked to Father’s office.

“Father, I have something here for you.” I give him a piece of paper that contains my sincere word that I want to give to my little brother.

“What is this Minah?” asked Father still don’t have any clue about the letter.

“This is a letter that I want you to give to my brother, if he gets back here. Please, tell him to find me with this family. I will patiently wait for him.” He nodded as I say the message to him.

After giving him the letter I walk to the hall where all the kid and Mother were waiting for me. I approach them with a happy-sad face. I don’t want them to be sad when I leave them but I know it is me who will be sad. I hug each of them and the farewell wishes-party didn’t really get well when I broke my tears the moment I hug Mother.

“Don’t be sad my dear. We are always here for you.” Mother said it while he wipes my tears.

As the farewell-wishes party ended, they walk me out and me to my new family car.

“Goodbye, Min Ah” they all waving their hands as a symbol of farewell.

“Goodbye, every one.” I said it while I tried to hold my tears.

The car drives leaving Harbor Haven Orphanage front yard, and moves to somewhere only God knows where the house is located.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Namyangju, Gyeonggi Province

We arrive at the new home. It is a super big nice house that makes me believe I’m going to live in a castle. I’ve learned from Father that my adoptive parent is from a rich family which my adoptive fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter