Eleven

Behind The Line
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eleven

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

June 2007 - Seogwipo, Jeju Island

It has been five months since dad was caught by the police. He's been in jail for five months already. He admitted committing contempt of court by abusing me and faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison for attempting to sell me into ion to pay off his debts.

All this past five months, I’ve move to Jeju and live with grandma and grandad. I’m happy that at least I have them. Unfortunately, since I move I never even see Woo Bin. Truth to be told, actually I miss him so much and I would do anything to meet him again.

I still the same me, and I don’t talk to anyone here too. People here are nicer and friendlier than people in Namyangju. I smile a lot here than before. Maybe living as a normal person and not a slave of money is what I really need.

“Min Ah, come here and join us for dinner.” I can hear grandma calls me for the dinner. Finally I can have a normal family dinner where the family member sits together and have dinner together.

“I’m coming grandma.”

I walk to the dinner table and sit next to my grandma.

“Let’s pray first.” Grandma and grandpa are both really religious. They always pray and never abandon God in any situation. Grandad will always lead the prayer.

“Bless us, Oh Lord, and these, Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen.” Then followed by the sign of cross.

“Jal meokgesseumnida” I bow to them and start eating.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ohyun High School

My grandparents sent me off to this school as this school is the closest to the house. There is nothing special to this school – just a public school where students learn new and boring things every day. Today is the last day of school before summer breaks. I can’t wait for school breaks because finally I can have time on my own and forget about school and homework.

“Let’s go to Jeongbang Waterfall this summer. I will take care of the transportation. Who with me?” Suddenly So Eun Ah – my classmates announces her idea to have a trip during school break in front of the class. They are all excited and cheers together. They look so fun. I want to follow them but I don’t think I can. I don’t think people will accept me. I was always the quiet one in class who doesn’t even have friend since I moved here.

Eun Ah walks and stop next to me. I look at her in confusion. She smiles to me and I admit her smile is one of the sweet smiles I’ve ever seen from someone.

“Min Ah, do you wanna join us?”

“Me?”

“Yes, you should join us. This could be opportunity for us to know you and for you to know us.”

“Well…….I’m……” Damn my mouth. I answer her with my intermittent stutter. I don’t know how to react with this sudden request and I can see that all eyes are on me. I have become the center of the class all of sudden.

“It’s okay if you can’t answer me now. Let me have your phone number. Then I will contact you and receive your answer. Are you okay with it?” She hands me her phone and ask me to dial my number on it.

There is no one who has my phone number except my dad, my grandparents, school and Woo Bin. Now, another person who is my classmate asks for my phone number. I’m quiet nervous about this but I think this can be a new start for a better me.

“Well….here is my phone number.” I dial my phone number and hand her phone back. She smiles to me and leave me. This is gonna be a new summer experience for me.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A day after

Finally the summer brea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter