Chap 3: Where are you?

24 Hours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ailee's Heaven is a pretty good song to hear as you read this...

The bright sun battled with the leaves dangling on the tall tree branches. Unfortunately, the defence put up by the tree was certainly much stronger, allowing us to be in the shade. The weight on my chest diminished as the young lady in my embrace slowly sat up to face me.

I picked up her hands with mine, knowing very well that I'm the happiest person on Earth to have her like this. The warm spring air blew past us and her soft bangs started to dangle with a life of its own. Her hands had always been colder than mine, but today it was different. It felt unusually cold to the touch.

"I have to go..." She stood up from the grass patch that we were previously seated on. Her hands were still held on tightly to mine, secretly indicating to me that the owner does not want to leave either. "I'll miss you, and remember that I'll always love you. No matter where I am, I'll always do."

"Don't go!" I pulled her towards me, tightening my grip so as to make sure that she would not be able to escape. "Where are you going?"

"I'll always be with you... Just..." Tears welled up in her eyes while she sighed. As though the time had slowed itself down, she was removing my hand from hers with all the force she had, but slowly. Droplets fell onto my hand under the bright sunlight that managed to pierce through the tree's defence. She was glowing under the stream of light. Between sniffles, she continued. "I love you..."

"Bring me there! Bring me there too..." Once again, I tried to grab hold of her but it was to no avail. She had disappeared into the air within seconds.

Don't go... Don't go... Don't go...

No... No... No...

My world was then back to pitch black.

"I saw her fingers moving, I really did!" The long silence was broken by a familiar voice coming from the right.

"You must have been dreaming." The answer came from someone on my left. "I can't believe you're still dreaming at this time of the day! I know you miss her, but dreaming at 8pm in the evening is abit too much you know~"

Curious, I summoned every ounce of energy in my body and fluttered my eyelids open. The tall white ceiling seemed far and out of reach as I stared at it with my eyes wide open.

Where am I?

Is this what they call as heaven?

Am I already dead?

My throat was sore, yearning for a drop of water to quench it. I swallowed hard, but my saliva was not enough to cure that burning sensation. The two figures standing by my bedside continued to bicker endlessly. The room was lit, but somehow the two figures appeared to be blurry. Simply opening my eyes was already too much for my weak body to handle. As such, I shut my eyes to a close and focused on calling out to the others within the room.

"Wheein-ah... Water..." I tried my hardest to bring a sound out from my hoarse throat. Out of instincts, I had called out for that one person I have been longing to see.

"Oh god!" Alarm could be heard from his voice. "She's awake!"

Sounds like... Sandeul...

That means I'm... Alive?

"See I told you!" On the other hand, the familiar voice was accompanied with rushing footsteps. "I'll get her water!"

This definitely doesn't sound like Wheein...

As my body got accustomed to the new environment I was in, I could now open my eyes effortlessly. Just as I had predicted, Sandeul was on my left and helping to prop me up on the bed.

"I'll call the doctor over!" Making sure that I was seated nicely for water to be served, he left the room with quickened steps.

Left alone in my bedroom, I took in all that was before my eyes. My bedroom in the apartment that I have spent my whole life saving up for, had its walls painted pearl white. The furnitures were still stuck in their respective places-- the hardwood wardrobe at the far end corner with the full length mirror standing on its left; the vanity on the right of my bed still has its table top in a mess. The room was definitely familiar to me since it has been where I resided ever since I returned to Korea as a successful photographer. However, there was something different about my room... Something has changed, yet I could not figure out what it was.

Is it the opened windows in the evening?

Or is it the white sheer curtains that are dancing in the night breeze?

Reaching out my hand towards my nightstand, I picked up the newspaper laying on it.

I don't usually read newspapers...

And I hate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter