Chap 2: Last Moments Pt. 1

24 Hours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Byulie-ya?" It wasn't long before the angelic voice came through the other end of the phone. Just from her voice, I could already feel her presence right beside me, brightening up my world as though this dark forest never existed. "I thought you were asleep! Why didn't you reply if you weren't asleep? I was waiting for your message didn't you know that! Hmph~!" 

How can I ever...

How can I ever leave you behind when I know that you will always be there...

Waiting for me? 

"I... Miss you..." At that instant, the tears that has disappeared come right back once again. However I held back my tears, not wanting to let my princess know that I'm about to drop one.

"Geez, what a liar! If you missed me what took you so long to reply~!" Her giggles could be heard from the reciever. I could even imagine that dimple of hers appearing on that pretty face. "My Byulie is turning into a little liar~"

The cheekiness in her tone will always be etched in my memory...

Even if I die, I'll make sure that cheekiness never disappears...

Even if I die, I'll make sure your laughter remains...

Even if I die, I'll make sure that I remember this voice... 

This beautiful, angelic voice of yours...

Jung Wheein.

"Byulie-ya? Are you there? Asleep again?" Wheein's voice came from the other end, pulling me back into reality.

"I'm not sleeping... I just want to hear your voice..." Leaning my back against one of the tall trees, I closed my eys, allowing the droplets to freely flow down my cheeks now. "Just hearing your voice calms me down..."

"But just hearing your voice is a distraction from my work Boss-nim" "If I keep talking to you, I'll never complete developing the 3000 photos you left me with... And then I'll never be able to close up this advertisement... And then we can't have the annual leave approved next week... And then..."

"And then you will be left alone..." The words escaped my mouth even before I had realised what they were.

"What?!" I'm pretty sure my little princess who was previously lying on the chair have jumped right up from it. "MOON BYULYI! You are not going to have a day off by yourself and lave me behind in the office! We promised to go to the themepark together next week! Or are you intending to go with that new model you set your eyes on?! What's her name again? Krystal Jung? I swear I'll transfer her to my brother's studio if you keep this up!" Her jealousy could be felt even from this end of the reciever.

Having remembered the promise I made to her, I came to a decision on my own. "Let's go to the themepark tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?!" This was the second time she startled. "I was kidding, my jealousy is not of that much emergency~ Besides I'm not really jealous, just a bit concerned that you gave her your signature..."

"I mean it. Let's go tomorrow." Calmly, I replied.

"We have a model photoshoot scheduled tomorrow Byulyi-ya~ Are you trying to skip work?" Just from her voice, I had imagined her standing infront of me with the skeptical face while saying this to me. "Even though I'm your assistant, you know that I'm actually the owner of ShiningStar Studio right? I will not allow that~!"

"Let's go tomorrow, I have a photoshoot there with a model." Quickly, I made up a lie in order to convince her without telling her about the death news.

"Since when? Why didn't I know that?" After a long silence accompanied with flipping sounds, Wheein's voice came through the reciever once again. "That's weird... It's written here in my scheduler that your photoshoot is in the studio tomorrow..."

"Trust me, the pictures will be best at the themepark." I nodded even though I was the only one standing in the dark forest.

"Alright... I'll text the model then." Sighing, I could hear her disappointment at this end. "I wanted to visit that themepark only with you though..."

"Don't worry about that, I'll text her." I reassured, knowing fully that I am not going to invite any models over.

If I were to die tomorrow, I only want to spend that day with you and no one else...

Jung Wheein.

"Okay then, I'll get back to work so that we can have a great day tomorrow~!" The sound of closing doors came through. It was then followed by Wheein humming her favourite song.

She is most probably in the dark room by now. 

"Forget about the photos and come over. I miss you, Wheein-ah." I tried to coax Wheein into spending the full 24 hours-- of which I have left, with me.

"Geez~ You're going to see me tomorrow, Byulie~! I'll make you miss me more so that you won't be sick of me when I appear tomorrow~" Excitement was delivered through the phone. Of course, not forgetting to add on her signature laughter.

"I will never be sick of you..." A smile was spread across my face. "I love you, Wheein-ah..."

I wish I can wake up to see you everyday...

How will I ever be sick of you?

"Aww~ I love you too~! But it's late already, I'll wake you up from your sleep if I head over... So be a good girl and we'll have the sleepover tomorrow night alrights!" Leaving me with a kiss, I know that the conversation is going to end anytime soon.

"At least promise me that you're going to head home now then..." Quickly, I replied before Wheein had the chance to hang up. 

"Yes Boss~" Chuckling, I bet Wheein could feel my love even from miles away. "I'll just finish up this last photo and be gone~!"

"I'll pick you up tomorrow at 6." I earnestly do not want this conversation to end. 

I wish we could talk for the whole 24 hours...

"Oh the last one is developing! Gotta get my hands busy, goodnight Byulie~!" At that, she hung up before I could even utter a word.

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

"Is that your girlfriend?" The bone-chilling voice rung once again, sending cold chills down my spine. "You guys seems really 'in love' huh?"

"You again... I don't need to report to you about my personal life do I? You're only in charge of my death." Unwilling to let my mood be ruined by a mere death angel, I did not even bother to turn and take a look. "Besides, didn't you say I have 24 hours?! Aren't you too early for that?!"

"Let me correct that, by right you are only left with 19 hours." Following a gush of wind, a dark figure started to walk towards me. Instinctively, I turned away. As though she had read my mind, the death angel appeared right before my eyes again, so close that I could no longer take my eyes away from her. Her hand was on my chin, lifting it up while continuing with her cold, harsh words. "But by left, with a compassionate heart of mine, I shall not be petty and grant you that additional 5 hours since you want it so badly."

"How about not even taking my life?" Gritting my teeth, I answered as I struggle to get out of her grasp. "That would be the greatest grace you can offer."

"Poor human, don't let your greed bring me down." Her words were still emotionless. Even though her words seemed to put others down, there were almost no feelings embedded in it. I wondered how did she even become this cold hearted, or even, how could someone like this exist in this world. Just as I was immersed in my thoughts, her grip loosened. "Furthermore, there is no such thing as escaping death. Those are just nonsense told by crazy death angels who are probably approaching their deathbed soon."

With that being said, she turned around and disappeared in a wisp of black smoke

So my 24 hours starts now...

Countdown: 18 hours...

My phone buzzed as I walked towards the lift lobby to pick up my princess.

--- I'm downstairs already~! --- 이 세상에서 가장 빛나는 사람  ,6.00 AM

Emerging from the lift is a young lady clothed in a grey hoodie who was approaching me with her brightest smile. That little dimple on her right cheek appeared with a tinge of pink right above it, helping its owner to send over morning greetings even before she spoke. 

Moon Byulyi, the best thing that happened to you in this lifetime is her.

Her brightest smile...

Her prettiest dimple...

And her shiniest presence.

It's your responsibility to keep that smile on her face...

Even till your last second, you have to...

So you're not going to cry today, because if you do you know she would too...

The tears... They are not going to fall today...

Not today.

"Byulie-ya~" Her angelic voice could be heard as she ran towards me. Even though she knew that the whole block of apartment would have heard her, she could not contain her excitement. Within seconds, she crashed into my chest like a car that had malfunctioned brakes, giving me that hug which I had longed for the whole night. "Did you miss me?"

"Of course I did." Unknowingly, a smile was painted on my face. Putting my hands around her waist, I tightened the embrace as I pulled her closer. "And I wish we could stay like this forever..."

"And then the model will have to wait for us the whole day~" With her head resting on my shoulders, Wheein giggled.

"Model?" I asked for I had completely forgotten about the lie I told yesterday.

"Didn't you bring the model over already?" Wheein pulled apart from the embrace we shared and pointed afar.

Following the direction in which she was directing to, a young lady was leaving the lift lobby in hurried footsteps. 

"That's probably your neighbour, I didn't bring anyone over." I turned back to face her and placed my hand on her shoulders. With my index finger poking on her prominent dimple, my lips arched upwards. "There's only one model on my mind, and that is... You, Jung Wheein."

"Ya~!" Delivering a punch onto my chest, the shade of pink on her cheeks turned brighter. "I don't really like to eat greasy food early in the morning~"

"But you'll like it if it's me~!" I took her hand while adding a tune to my words.

"Seriously~!" Her hurried footsteps tried their hardest to keep up with me. "So we'll meet the model there then?"

"There's really no model." I shook my head as I replied. Standing right before the pavement leading to the carpark, I pinched her soft supple cheeks. "You are my model of the day~ And we're going to the themepark for 'work'~"

"Really?" Her eyes widened in surprise as though this was the first time she heard it, even though I have been repeating it over a million times.

"Really." Our gaze met and I nodded. "You're going to be the model for my next project~"

She broke out in fits of laughter, something that I had never expected from this situation. "How can I be a model? I mean I'm not even 160cm, and I don't have a pretty face. I don't even have a pretty smile."Pointing at the awkward tooth that was out of line amongst her other shining white teeth, she continued to reason out. "Just look at my weird teeth..."

I pulled away the hand that was singling out that precious tooth. "To me, you're the best model I can ever have. In my eyes, you're the prettiest and shiniest person. Your smile... Is out of this world." As our faces continued to inch closer, I could hear her heart pounding loudly. Before she could even push me away, I swooped in for my first kiss of the day. "Let's go!"

"Ya~! Moon Byulyi who said you could kiss me this early in the morning?!" Running right after me, is the love of my life, Jung Wheein.

Countdown: 15 hours...

"Should we get something for breakfast before going in?" Wheein stood before the themepark entrance, turning around to look at me with her head cocked to the right side.

"Is my little princess hungry?" I headed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter