Chap 8: That Girl

24 Hours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Song reccomendation is back and this week's song is Even though by Lee Haeri (Davichi)

Back at the Office...

"Let's go, death angel..." I called out towards the death angel while following behind Byulie who was also exiting her office. However, I looked up only to see the death angel disappear in the familiar wisp of black smoke. "Hey! Wait where are you going?!"

Why did she disappear just like that?

Wait...

I can't follow Byulie without the death angel... 

I mean... What if she can't find me?

"As long as the bottles are placed near together, the energy would not deplete. Once they are away, the volume drops." Giving a pre-warning, the death angel remarked.

"What will happen if the liquid inside is all gone?" I asked out of curiosity.

"No one knows... It has never happened before. No one has ever seen it happened since death angels guard these two bottles as their lives, carrying it with them. No one has even misplaced them either. But there's rumours saying that once it's all gone, the death angel would dissipate and return to nothingness." Her warning rung at my ears, reminding me that we are now dependent on each other.

"You can knock off early. I don't have any photoshoot today so I'm going home." Byulie's words snapped me out of my reverie. Giving two knocks on the empty desk placed right beside her office door, Byulie called for the attention of the young lady standing before her without even looking up.

Face filled with bewilderment, the young lady turned around from facing the sofa, "Boss-nim... Just now..."

Hmm?

I've never seen her at the studio before...

To be exact, I've never seen her anywhere before...

And she's... Quite pretty...

"I told you not to call me boss. You can call me anything but that. That... Is reserved for someone else to call..." Byulie paused in between, before meeting the eyes of the lady before her. "Anyways, our studio goes on a first name basis, hierarchy doesn't matter."

"Yes... I know that... Just now..." Seemingly deep in thoughts, she pauused. Then, she shook her head before continuing as though she was shaking off her previous thoughts. "Hani has given instructions for your personal assistant to see you home so..."

"Do you have a license?" Byulie interrupted her rudely.

"No..." She shook her head once again, this time round in reply to Byulie's question. "But..."

"I don't like to take public transport. Unless you're driving my car, if not we'll part here." Byulie's words sounded cold and emotionless as she walked pass the lady with her backpack swinging into place.

Hmm? Don't we always take public transport from one end to another for our dates?

You loved public transport that you didn't get a car until I injured my foot 2 years ago, where you insisted on driving me around for the rest period...

"Can't I accompany you home?" Once again, the young lady did not want to give up. 

"No. My house only permits three different types of people to visit." Reluctantly, Byulie put her footsteps to a halt and replied to the golden-brown haired girl. "My family. My friends. My... Nevermind. Just know that you belong to none of the above so no."

"One day I'll make it to the above list." She exclaimed as though she was setting a goal for herself. However, her voice sounded like she was questioning Byulie, or even trying to get a big response from Byulie. "Your best disciple should make it to that list too."

"I don't teach. And to be honest, I don't need a personal assistant. I only need one but that's not you, so you can feel free to quit." Byulie's tone was still harsh towards this girl. It was as though she wanted to stop talking to this lady but was restrained from walking away. "The 7 days adjustment compensation still applies if you leave within the next 2 days."

"Why are you always so cold towards me?" Indeed, Byulie's tone has hurt this new personal assisstant. "I mean you joke around with Hani and Sandeul... But you don't even talk to your personal assistant. You don't even know my name after 5 days of work."

"Because there's no need to." Byulie shrugged her shoulders.

"My name is..." The young lady started to walk towards Byulie, the golden brown curls were bouncing while rested on her shoulders.

"I don't want to know. I don't need you. You're not the personal assistant I'm looking for." Seemingly irritated, Byulie cut her off without hearing her out.

"Are you looking for that person named Jung Whee..." Irritated, the lady forcefully turned Byulie around to face her. Having realised her mistake, her hands let go of Byulie's shoulders and covered . "I'm sorry... Hani told me not to even put that 3 words together... I'm sorry..."

"Don't act as if you know me very well." For a moment, Byulie looked like she was hurt by the bringing up of my name. However, her calm composure resumed as she continued the conversation. "All that you know about me are what Hani told you. And that name, is not someone like you can call. You are just another chesspiece from Hani to keep a lookout on me. I'm fine and I don't need it. So I'll be happier if you leave."

"Why do you sound like Hani is not your friend but someone who is keeping tabs on you? Why don't you tell Hani about firing me then? Why do you want me to leave on my own instead? Why don't you just sack me?" She seemed to be boiling as she shouted right at Byulie's face. "It's because you want to seem normal infront of your friends but in fact you're not, am I right?!"

"You are no one to judge me." Byulie scoffed. I can sense that her anger meter was slowly rising upwards. "And, what do you know? What makes you think you can say whatever you want?"

"Because if you fired me, your friends would think that you're shutting the world out and trying to act normally infront of them. Because what I've been telling them about is such a stark contrast from what you've been showing." By now, the young lady was no longer concerned that Byulie is her superior. Her words were no longer voiced in a calm tone but rather, were close to screams. "Yes, I've been telling them. I've been telling them because you are still kept to yourself which they thought you aren't. It's because I care that I'm telling them. To me, you're not just someone I want to learn the best skills from, you're a person who is in pain. I want to help you. I want to help you, Byulyi."

"You don't even know anything." Byulie's eyes have started to turn red and watery. Exhaustion could be seen reflected from the brown orbs.

Tears...

Those were tears in Byulie's eyes...

Tears that I have only seen at night...

Tears that Byulie has never shown anyone except to me (unknowingly) since she started working...

Who exactly is this girl that can make Byulie show the emotions she's been concealing inside herself all these while..?

And...

What is this uneasy feeling rising within me..?

Why is she making me so nervous..?

Not wanting to stay here any longer, Byulie quickened her footsteps and left through the main door of the office.

Should I wait for the death angel here? Or should I follow Byulie?

What if the death angel can't find me?

Clutching onto the power necklace hanging at my neck, my eyebrows were so close they are likely to be tangled together anytime soon.

Then this thing will continue to deplete...

Oh no...

What should I do?

What should I do...

"Wheein!" A loud whisper came through my ears. Immediately, I glanced around, in search for the source of the voice.

"Here!" The whispers directed towards me were slowly getting louder as I approached the desk nearest to the main office door. "Down here!"

"Oh? What are you doing there and not coming out?" Squatting before the empty desk, I could see the death angel crouching in the small space underneath it.

"Shhh!" Fingers placed on her lips, the death angel slowly crawled out of the desk. Still with her back bent, she headed towards the main door. "Quick let's get out of here! Where did your Byulie go now?"

"Oh?!" Puzzled at her actions, I stood rooted to the ground. "Err... That way..."

"Quick, let's go Wheein! This place is weird." Taking my hand in hers, the death angel pulled me along as she ran out of the main office door with her back still bent.

This is the first time she held my hand...

I was usually the one who initiated since I needed to drag her along or ask for favors...

What has gotten into her today?

Wait...

Did she just called me by my name?

She called me Wheein right?!

Oh my goddesses...

The death angel called my name. She called me by my name. She called me... Wheein.

At the Rooftop...

The co

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter