Chap 18: The Heartache

24 Hours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The giant yet empty library was all silent except for the shuffling sounds coming from the end of the shelves. Deep within the rows and rows of shelves was a tiny girl swamped in a pile of books with black velvet covers. Spines of the books were all engraved with different sets of letters, and within these books lay the life and death of every single person-- living or dead.

And here I am, lying on the thousand-year-old wooden desk with my hands propping up my chin and my two feet dangling just slightly off the edge of the desk.

"Were you even listening to me?" I asked, for there was no reply from her although I had been speaking for hours.

"Nam Joohyuk... Okay, the next one should be Nam Joo something... Nam Joohyul? Nam Joohyum? Nam Joohyun?..." Just as I thought, none of my words has reached her as she was fully concentrated on the task at hand. Her eyes stayed glued to the initials engraved on the spine, it was as if I had been talking to the unknown entity living in the air. 

A somewhat long and deafening silence ensued as my eyes stayed on her, slowly burning up with fury. "Jung. Whee-"

"Oh here it is! Nam Joohyun! I found it!" Before I even managed to finish my sentence, the ever bright smile that shone from her face almost blinded me as she looked up from the stack of books, more triumphant than ever. Sensing from the unusual atmosphere, the young traveller quietened down her excitement and let out an awkward smile. "Oops sorry, you were saying something?"

"So I was saying, I, as a death angel who guided you here listened to each and every one of your problems and even helped you to sort out some. In that case, you as a smart and somewhat knowledgeable traveller should reciprocate my kind acts, am I right? So why aren't you listening attentively to my problems and helping me to resolve them?!" I sat up on the desk, clearly showing my displeasure to this traveller who had followed around me for nearly ten months. With the amount of time we had spent together, it was no surprise that she could see the unhappiness just from my actions even if I'm putting on a poker face.

"Because..." Picking up the book that brought her to happiness, she waved it before my eyes. Just from the look in her eyes, I could feel the tease coming from her mere words. "I'm tasked by yours truly to arrange the shelves in repayment to your kindness?"

Wheein, you're so sneaky to use my own words against me.

"That's true... Erm..." Unable to scrap my own orders in view of my pride, I quickly brushed her off. "That aside, you're supposed to listen when I'm speaking. So will you listen now?"

Looking at me like a puppy she was, Wheein nodded.

"So you see, a friend of I has been facing this problem..." My eyes darted back and forth, avoiding her eyes. "Do you know this weird feeling where you see that person once and then you just have to see her again? Like a magnet that is attracted to the nails but no matter how much you want to stop it, no amount of distance can cease the attraction?"

Without a reply, Wheein nodded again although this time she seemed to be engulfed in deep thoughts.

"So what do you do about it?" I probed, while finally gathering up my courage to look at her in the eyes.

"Just follow it." As though she was talking about the experience of another, she shrugged her shoulders and answered casually.

"What?!" Her words struck with me surprise and I swear I almost fell to the floor for I had not expected such a reply. Regaining my senses, I cleared my head and asked further. "What do you mean by just follow it?! I'm asking you to get rid of it somehow, not let it grow!"

"Since no amount of distance can stop the attraction, what makes you think that I can help you to stop that feeling?" Unbothered, she shrugged her shoulders again and replied just like an innocent puppy. "It's you who is feeling it so you should face it and find out why it is happening to you."

"Nono! It's not me... It's... Err... Like I said... It's my friend!" I waved my hands infront of me, trying hard to deny whatever that was the truth.

Wheein nodded again as though she fully understood my words. However, just from the look on her face, I know that she has clearly seen through my act. 

"It's really my friend! I mean I'm not saying that it's my friend so that I can hide that it was me who felt the feeling... But it's actually me... Eh no! I mean It's actually my friend and not me who felt that weird feeling... " Nervous, I started to trip on my words.

YAH~!

1779!

What's wrong with you today!

"But it's you." Blinking twice, the puppy eyes were filled with nothing teases at me. "You said that you only had one friend in this realm and considering that she has somewhat -you know what happened and I'm not going to say it again-, it can only be you right?"

"Fine, I give up..." "It's me. And you gotta help me somehow, because the person it's that weird lady I talked to you about! The lady that could..."

"Kim Yongsun. The lady that can see you." She nodded, looking like she had actually heard of everything before i had taken this chance to tell her.

Her eyes... There's something hidden in her eyes...

It seems like there's something tingling and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter