chapter 2

all over again


CHAPTER 2




5 years later united states, Houston Methodist Hospital


SHK POV


It's been already 5 years since i am here in the Houston Methodist Hospital and i like it very much. People always have a smile for me.


"good morning doctor song"


"good morning" exactly like this,they where so good to me from the start,everyone here are so welcoming,very good people,not to mention they are really good at their work. The hospital where i work at,is ranked nationally in 10 adult specialties. It scored high in patient safety, demonstrating commitment to reducing accidents and medical mistakes. Houston Methodist Hospital is a 856-bed general medical and surgical facility with 35,542 admissions in the most recent year reported. It performed 15,661 annual inpatient and 18,588 outpatient surgeries. Its emergency room had 55,370 visits. Houston Methodist Hospital is a teaching hospital. It is also accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities, meaning it's one of the best and i am part of the stuff in this fantastic hospital.


"song hye kyo! good morning dear,how are you feeling?" asked my friend, doctor karen,she is a doctor too and work as a researcher,her job is really an important one.


"so how did it go? that patient of yesterday,i mean"


"well,the operation went well, i was able to find what was wrong"


"wow,so in the end it's true that you are a genius"


"tsk,as if,you know i am still a trainee,i must do another ten years of work to become a true cardiologist, plus the end exams too,it's really hard,sigh"


"ahahah,still you like it right?"


"...right,i do like it "


"don't worry you will become great cardiologist"


i smiled and then i answered her"of course,i will become the best!"


That's right,i am a cardiologist,well at least i want to become one,i am still in training, but my job till now was good enough to make my name known to my teachers. Sometimes they make me be their assistant, till finally 1 year ago i was able to perform surgeries,i was good at it,but not as much to do complicated ones yet,fortunately they told me that if i will keep on going like this maybe i will have more chances to watch them while doing the complicated surgeries and learn more,i can't wait for that time to come.


"dear shouldn't you go in the research lab?aren't you going to be late?"


"don't worry i am going right now,bye then" she kissed my cheeck and then left. Karen was the first girl i have known when i came here,she come from malaysia,but has an american father. She is a really good and warm person, i am glad we are friends.


"drrrrr,hu? my phone?who is it?" i grab my phone from my pocket and then look at the caller,it was my superior


"hello?...yes i am coming right now!" my superior asked me to go in his office,he is a good but strict person,i am always a little scared when i have to go in his office and i was always with someone,but this time i was called alone! i am worried he will be unpleasant with me,aish what will he want to talk about?. I am running as fast as i can,hoping not to be late.


"please,please say something good to me please,director" i am finally in front of his door,i try to fix myself a bit and after i finally finished and think i am in an acceptable state i knock the door.


"tock,tock"


"come" i walk inside his office


"good morning director"


"good morning,doctor song"


"did you want to see me?director?"


"that's right,i have something i want to inform you about"


"s-sure" i am a bit nervous right now.


"you are going back to korea" i was speachless,why? why in korea? why now?


"d-director,if i may ask,why? i mean,i think i am doing a good job here,or maybe...maybe am i not good enough?" i ask concerned


"calm down,doctor kang,it's not what you think"


"then what is it?why are you sending me away?"


"it's because i need someone who can help me there"


"hu? -help you?"


"right,i want you to go in the Haesang hospital and become a doctor there,i think you will do well as cardiologist you cand do simple surgeries and i heard you can even do some surgeries that are more difficult,still you can't perform the most complicated  of course,but you are still considered a really good and capable surgeon. You can consider this a test i am giving you."


"director,i-"


"think about it,you will stay there for seven or if they ask for more time,maybe a year a year,then you will come back here"


"director i don't think it's good idea i-"


"are you disctuting my orders?" he said with a threatening voice


"n-no,i will...i will go...as you told me"


"good,now you can go back to work,tomorrow you will have to be in korea"


"what?! already?" i was schocked,i mean it's too soon,i will have to take a flight today?


"hu?"


"no,i mean,so soon?"


"that's right, now go"


"o,ok" i get out of his office and i can't help but being unsey,i don't really like the idea of going back in korea,but... if i have to,i can't say no to my superior,sigh.


"sigh it seems like i have no other choice"


NEXT DAY


"Hello karen dear! yes i just arrived to korea and i just got inside the taxi,yes i am heading to my house for now...no i don't plan to stay with them for a long time...no i searched on internet and i think i found a good place, but i have to go and see it in person,sure,bye"


i look outside the window of the taxi and look at this city that i left five years ago,now i am back and i wonder...how can i live here now that i feel like a stranger.


20 minutes later


I already called my family and told them i would arrive today and now that i finally am at home,my parents are all here,with my friends too.


"song hye kyo! gijibeya!" my mom run to me and we hug each other like there is no torrow


"ahahah,mom, i can't breath,please let me go"


"no,or you will fly away from me again"


"ahahah,cough,mom i won't but...let-let me go,i really can't breath-"


"ya,let her go yobo" said my father saving me from my mom love hug


"dad,it's been awhile" he look at me with teary eyes and then i hug him


"welcome back dear daughter,we missed you"


"me too"


"song hye yo!!!" i look behind my dad and see all my friends


"look who came! bad girls!" i open my arms and they run to me and hug me too


"ya! who is the bad girl here!you left and didn't come for five years!"


"aigo,but i did call you when i had time,i was busy and it was so hard i could barely sleep"


"ya,it was hard for us too,sigh,anyway,come inside now dear,you must be tired"


"a bit"


"it's ok,we just came to say hi we are leaving now"


"don't worry you can stay"


"we girls have work to do and you have to rest,by the way you will work with us from tomorrow right?"


"o yes,now that i think about it i will work in the same hospital as you girls"


"that's right so we will see each other tomorrow,now go and rest"


"ok then,thanks for coming,see you tomorow" my friends left and me and my parents finally went inside our house


"omo,i am so happy dear,we missed you so much,but are you going to stay for good?"


"i am sorry,just a few month or if they need me to stay,no more than a year"


"i see,well at least now you are here with us,by the way,you said you want a house all to yourself,but i won't let you"


"mom,i will have to go home even late at night,you won't be able to sleep"


"we will so stay here!"


"mom-"


"no,that's all,also the song are coming to greet you they missed you so much"


"the song?" song jong ki's parents? i think to myself


"right,the song family so be good and stay here"


"mom,i need to rest let's talk about greetings another day now i need a shower and a good sleep"


"o right!" i run to my room they left it as it was,just like i left it 5 years ago.i missed it,so much...the song family...his family...


"no just sleep,i am too tired to even shower,i will do it tomorrow and stop thinking about stupid things hye kyo" i close my eyes and finally sleep.


A FEW DAYS LATER


I am finally starting my new life as a doctor in this hospital,fortunately they seems good people and the department i will stay at gave me an important role,i could do some surgeries and i did them well,everyone were speachless to see how good i was and complimented me a lot.


Now i am eating with my friends.


"hey you sure are famous"


"what do you mean?are you talking about those guys?"


"of course,they all want to go out with you"


"right,sigh,i don't really know what to say to them"


"i already tought about it"


"hu?" i look at my friend Hyun Jyu-Ni a little confused,she takes something out of her pocket,it's a a little box


"what is it?" i ask to her who is smirking and looking at me in a scary way


"you will know soon"


"...no i wont'"


"in this little box is the solution to all your problems, so..."she give it to me,but after she saw,my refusal she opened it herself


"here"


"w-a ring?" i asked surprised"ya,are you crazy?"


"it's a fake,just put it on and they will likely leave you alone"


"ya,then she will remain single for the rest of her life, what a great solution!" said my friend Lee Seung-Joon


"she will take it off,when she encounter someone she is interested in ok?" answered Hyun Jyu-Ni


"but still rumors that she is married will spread like fire,are you really going to do this to her?" onew made her remain speachless for awhile


"sigh,guys it's ok,i don't need a boyfriend or what else,i will just take care of it on my own,sorry everyone, i have to go and start my usual visits"


"ok,sure" everyone said to me then i finally left to do my usual round of patients.


"good morning doctor song"


"morning" i answered,when a boy,one of the male nurse came and asked me out


"sorry i am not interested"


"i see..."he goes away in silence looking all sad


"sigh, what did i ever do wrong?"


"doctor song!" asked one of the female nurse


"dae?"


"there is someone who want to ask you some informations"


"ok,i am coming" as i go i see a male back "maybe it's him"


As i walk towards him i still am thinking if putting on the ring is the right thing to do, but while i was in my own world i stambled and the ring fell on the ground.


"omo,no,no,no,where are you going!"i run to follow the little gold ring that suddenly stop in front of a pair of black shoes,soon after i see a hand taking the ring,it must be a married man since he has a ring on.


"omo,thanks,i almost-"i look up to the man and see someone,i hoped not see for the rest of my life...


"...song jong ki?" i was schocked,there was no trace anymore of the guy who always wore comfortable clothes. In front of me, is a different person,with new and shiny clothes just like a boss of some company,he looks really handsome.


"song hye kyo?" he was as surprised as me.I was still speachless,for a few seconds


"are you really...song hye kyo?"


"...o dae" i looked down a little uncomfortable and my eyes went accidentaly to his hand and then...on his ring...


"song hye kyo...it's been awhile"


"he-he-he...dae,realle" i answer try not too look at him the he ask again


"how are you?"


"i am fine,thanks...what about you?"


"i am fine too..."i looked at my fake ring and then back at his


"is that your ring?"


jong ki asked me in a serious way,but i looked at him seriously too. Now i really want to run away,but in the end what's the point? i left and he married, maybe he has children too...why should i put on this fake ring on? why should i lie?...but in the end...it still hurt me seeing him. In the end i put the ring on,because i don't want him too se that i still have no one,while he is happily married.


"dae"


"...so,you are married?"


"dae,i am" i smiled while answering his question,i must seem really happy,but he didn't smile at all.


"...i see...is he here?"


"no,he is from huston,we married there"


"withouth your parents?they never said anything" damn to me why the heck did i say this?why is he asking anyway?!


"we just had a little ceremony,his parents where abroad too,we were rushing things. Later we will have the real wedding" i fake a smile,gosh i don't think i can go on with this for too long. Jong ki still didn't congratulate me or gave me a smile he just remained serious,what the heck,shouldn't you congratulate to me? since i am married?...well i am not in reality buth this is not right,he also...i won't ask him about the ring,i don't really care.


I became as serious as him "so,that's all...i have to go,i have a patient...bye" i turned around and looked at my patient,i am not going to become an idiot again,i won't go back to that time,not again.


END OF SHK POV


Meanwhile,song jong ki, watch as she walk away,looking at her timy and small back,from a distance. The in a lower and serious voice he said


"...so you came back...song hye kyo"