Part Two

In the Dark

Minhyuk perused the shelves of the convenience store, frowning. He was really hungry for some kind of junk food. He just didn't know what exactly.

He had decided to go out walking since some of the other members were going back to the studio and Changkyun was apparently going to take a nap, if him being in bed was any indication.

He didn't know how that kid slept so much. He, himself, could only sleep maybe seven or eight hours at the most and he almost never took naps. The maknae on the other hand, could sleep ten hours a night or more and he still somehow fit in naps almost every day too.

He stopped at a display of cookies and candy and thought about picking up a package of M&M-flavored cookies but then decided against it. Lots of food coloring in those, most likely.

He turned the corner and entered the next aisle. 

On his left were rows of girly magazines and on the right- on the right were feminine products!

He exhaled in surprise and felt his face turning red.

Wrong aisle, wrong aisle, wrong aisle, he chanted in his head. Go back, go back, go back....

He quickly backed out of the aisle and went back the way he had come, passing the cookie aisle and turning down the next one.

This one had two customers, an elderly man looking at the packages of ramen and a woman who looked to be in her twenties staring at the carbonated drinks.

She glanced up and he averted his face slightly, pulling at his hood to make sure it was still partially covering his face. He hadn't taken the time to grab a mask and now he really wished he had.

He walked by them as fast as he could without seeming like he was running and tried the next aisle.

This one was empty, and he sighed in relief.

It also had just what he now knew he wanted to get...

Chocolate.

He grabbed several kinds of chocolate bars and a package of soft peppermints that appealed to him, before heading to the refrigerated section.

There, he found the strawberry milk that he loved, and put four cans in his shopping basket.

He headed to the counter and the young kid there grabbed the items and scanned them, barely even looking up.

He told him the total and Minhyuk pushed some bills across the counter to him.

Taking his change in one hand, and grabbing the bag with the other, he turned around and made his way to the door, anxious to be gone, because he had just seen the woman coming up behind him.

The doorbell jangled as he pushed it open and exited and then he just stood frozen on the sidewalk, as he realized it was pouring rain outside.

Great! Why didn't I think to grab an umbrella? he pouted. 

Because you weren't thinking, stupid, his mind replied to him.

He shook his head back and forth in annoyance.

He finally started to walk toward the dorm because the rain was coming down in sheets now and his hoodie was getting soaked.

He yanked his hood down as far as it would go and hurried as fast as he could without slipping.

Ten minutes later, the apartment building housing their dorm came into view and he started to run.

He entered the code at the gate and again at the lobby entrance. 

The security guard on duty glanced up from the surveillance screens and nodded his head at him as he walked to the elevator. He nodded back.

He pushed the button for the eighth floor and leaned against the back wall catching his breath.

The elevator dinged as it arrived at the correct floor and the doors opened.

Minhyuk blinked in confusion. Where are the lights? Everything was pitch black outside of the elevator.

He stepped out and the doors swooshed closed behind him, leaving him in almost total darkness. The only lights he could see were the lit up EXIT signs at either end of the hallway.

He pulled out his phone and shown the built-in flashlight in front of him. He walked slowly past the other doors, a shiver making its way down his spine.

Everywhere was eerily quiet. Too quiet. He was used to the neighbors bustling to and fro as they came and went.

Now everything was silent. He wondered if all the neighbors were just out or if they were all as creeped out as he was and just hiding out in their dark homes.

Squeeeak

At the sudden noise he jumped and spun around, waving his hand with the phone in every direction but not seeing anything.

He patted himself on the chest to calm his racing heart.

"It's okay, Minhyukkie. No one is there. You just heard an old building making noises. Nothing to be alarmed about." Hearing his voice somehow relaxed him and he smiled proudly, happy he had done something smart for a change.

He continued walking and was nearly at the dorm's door when he felt something brush against his leg as it flew past him.

He jumped in fright and let out a loud shriek.

He backed up against the wall and frantically turned the light left to right.

Finally, just when he thought he had imagined the entire thing, he spotted a dark form sitting near the dorm's entrance.

He kept the light trained on it but it didn't move, so he forced his frozen feet to move forward, and made his way closer to the shape.

When he was about five feet away, he realized it was an animal, and when he was three feet from it, he realized it was a black cat.

"Awww." 

Suddenly he wasn't afraid anymore and he crouched down and slowly reached his hand out to the animal.

It backed away in fear but slowly inched forward as he froze in place, and finally sniffed at his hand.

It's head butted at his hand and he smiled as he petted it. It wasn't a very big cat, more a half-grown kitten, and its fur was wet.

After a few minutes, Minhyuk grew bold, and picked it up, cuddling the soft, wet thing to his chest.

He decided he should take the cat inside and dry it off, so he got out his key and unlocked the door.

He pushed the door open and it let out a loud squeak as he did so.

The cat, frightened of the noise, jumped down and disappeared through the door.

"Yah!"

He stepped forward and tripped over something, sprawling on the ground.

As he laid there, unable to move as the breath had been knocked out of him, he heard what sounded like something falling over, before being practically deafened as screams filled the dorm.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Changkyun clutched Jooheon tighter to him. He had no idea what had made those sounds, but he was scared out of his mind.

Jooheon and he were the only ones who had stayed at the dorm. All the rest had left, so who could have possibly made those noises?

Unless....someone had broken in.

His throat went dry and his body tensed as that thought floated through his mind.

Had someone found out that Monsta X lived here and come to kill them? Could it possibly be sasaeng fans?

Jooheon made a mewling sound and dug his fingernails into Changkyun's back. The pain barely registered, as he tried to figure out what to do.

Should they go towards the sound and investigate, or should he take Jooheon to their room and hide them both under the covers on his bed? 

The latter idea sounded the best to him but he also didn't want whoever it was to come and find them.

He decided they should try and figure out who or what, was inside with them, so he slowly inched his feet along the hallway, pulling Jooheon along with him.

When he realized what direction they were headed in, he resisted, pulling Changkyun back so hard he almost lost his balance.

"Hyung!" He said in a hushed tone. "What are you doing!"

"What are you doing?" He asked in return. "You're going the wrong way!" 

Wow. The mute speaks. I'll have to remember that the next time I want him to shut up. Scare him badly enough and he'll shake like a leaf in someone's arms.

"Do you want whatever that is to come and find us? Because I sure don't!" He hissed the last part, again tugging on Jooheon's arms.

He proved stronger and soon they were approaching the living room doorway.

He peered inside trying to distinguish shapes, his eyes finally adjusting to the dark.

He squinted and thought he saw a shape by the front door. He cautiously made his way towards it, trying to walk quietly.

Jooheon, now again hanging onto his arm, followed him. He was more afraid of being alone than of whatever had made the noise.

Changkyun was only a few feet away from the door when something suddenly ran past him, knocking into his legs and throwing him off balance. He windmilled his arms, searching in vain for something to hold onto. Finding none, he toppled backwards, landing on Jooheon.

"Oww!!"

"Sorry, Hyung!"

"Changkyun?"

At the sound of his name, Changkyun stopped trying to regain his feet and looked at the door.

That voice sounded so familiar.....

"Who's there?"

Suddenly voices were heard outside in the hallway. At the same moment, the lights came back on.

Changkyun looked up from his place on the floor to see the heads of Shownu, Wonho, Hyungwon and Kihyun peering inside.

One by one, everyone looked down to see Minhyuk lying sprawled on the floor, half in and half out of the door.

"Okay. Someone better tell me what in the world happened while we were gone." Shownu looked around the room, causing Changkyun, Jooheon and Minhyuk to do the same.

The lamp was knocked over, the glass bowl from the coffee table that held candy was shattered in pieces on the floor, and the stereo had gotten knocked off the table somehow, and was now lying on its side by the couch.

"Umm..." Changkyun began, before he was cut off by Wonho.

"What is that!" His finger shook as he pointed to the corner, where on top of a tall cupboard, sat a black cat washing its face.

"Meow!" 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

 I hope you all enjoy this second part! As always, let me know what you thought! I love to read your comments!