Part One

In the Dark

Changkyun leaned in closer to the girl in his arms, so close their faces were only inches apart. She reached up and cupped his cheeks. Her eyes sparkled like diamonds as she looked up into his. He smiled back at her then brushed his lips against hers.

He leaned back the tiniest bit. "You're so beautiful," he breathed, so close he could smell the scent of her toothpaste.

He pressed their lips together again and tilted his head to deepen the kiss. He tentatively touched her lip with his tongue and she gasped. He started to press his tongue past her teeth-

"Yo, Changkyun! Are you awake?"

Changkyun let out a silent groan as he was rudely jolted from his dream. I was so enjoying that!!! He whined silently. Go away, Jooheon! I wanna go back to sleep!! 

He heard a click and the room flooded with light. 

He really wanted to throw his arm over his eyes to shield them, but he didn't move, hoping Jooheon would think he was asleep, he had been until he woke him up, and go back to whatever rock he had crawled out from under.

No such luck.

Jooheon walked to the bunk beds and climbed the ladder until he was eye level with him. He shook his arm.

"Are you awake?"

After waiting a moment and hearing nothing from him, Jooheon shook him again, harder.

Changkyun sat up with a growl.

"What do you want, Hyung?" He nearly yelled.

"Oh, good, you're awake," Jooheon said smiling, his yelling apparently not bothering him one iota.

He groaned again, out loud this time, and covered his eyes. His hyung's megawatt smile was blinding. The sun better watch out. It has strong competition, he thought sarcastically.

"I'm awake now," he said pointedly. " I was sleeping." He uncovered his eyes momentarily so he could throw a glare in the older's direction. "Why do you think the light was off? "

Jooheon scrunched his face a little in apology but then shrugged. "Oops. My bad, " he said in English.

Changkyun raised his head and just stared at him incredulously. "You stole that from me, " he finally said.

Jooheon let out a giggle. 

More incredulous staring.

"Don't ever do that again." He spoke slowly and distinctly, looking him in the eye, trying to make him remember that small demand. If he ever did that during an interview or game show, he would kill him.

Just thinking of the hosts and interviewers shocked reactions was giving him chills. If that happened, he wouldn't be able to live with it. He would have to go out in the woods away from civilization and live in a tent, and scrounge for food and take baths in a creek, and eventually a bear would come along and like the smell of his skin and he would eat him. 

That would be the end of Im Changkyun and what a sad, sad end that would be.

The worst part of it all, was that he would probably be happy the bear got him! It would put him out of his misery because he hated camping!! He hated outdoors!

He hated the lack of air conditioning, and no running water, and no cell service, and no electricity, and no actual bed, and he hated bugs, and he hated snakes, and spiders, and bugs, and squirrels, and chipmunks, and bugs, and -

"What are you doing?"

He whipped his head around to look at Jooheon. His eyes blinked rapidly.

"What do you mean?"

Jooheon shook his head and waved his hands a little trying to find the words to explain. "You spoke to me and then you started waving your hands and shaking your head. Your lips were moving but I couldn't hear anything." He stopped to take a breath and then reached out and tilted Changkyun's head so he could look at his eyes." Did you fall asleep with your eyes open? " he asked, his voice now barely above a whisper.

Changkyun swatted his hand away.

"Of course not, Hyung." He snorted.

"Then what were you doing?"

"I was thinking."

His left eyebrow raised in enquiry. "What were you thinking about?"

He felt his face start to get a little warm so he pretended to be stretching his neck and turned his face to the wall. "Nothing important," he muttered.

If only Jooheon hadn't come in their shared room and woken him up. If he wasn't careful, Jooheon would think he was delusional- or worse.

He turned back to face him. "What did you want anyway?"

Jooheon grinned cheekily at him. "Since we're the only ones here, I thought maybe we could play XBox. We won't have to fight Shownu hyung and Minhyuk hyung for a turn with the controllers."

"All right." It didn't sound too bad. Plus, he didn't have a hope of going back to sleep now that he was wide awake. "Sounds good."

Jooheon tugged on his arm again. "Come on then."

He tossed his blankets aside and motioned for Jooheon to climb down so he could use the ladder.

Just then, a loud crack of thunder shook the building and he jumped in surprise. He hadn't even realized it was raining.

He turned his head toward the window just as lightning lit up the night sky.

He hoped his other hyungs were okay. Several of them had gone back to the studio to practice some more and he had no idea where Minhyuk had gone.

He had seen him tugging on a hoodie and heading for the door. He had already been lying down on his bunk, half-asleep, and it hadn't occurred to him to ask him where he was going.

Wherever it was, hopefully he was smart enough to stay inside out of the rain.

Once his feet touched the floor he turned around. He caught his reflection in the tall, narrow mirror on the wall and cringed at the mess his hair was. He walked closer to the mirror and combed through his hair with his fingers and patted his hair down on the sides.

Jooheon groaned.

"Your hair is fine, man. Who's going to see it? We're the only ones here."

He looked at Jooheon's face in the mirror. "Exactly. You're here. You will see it." 

The older rolled his eyes in response. "I really don't care. It looks fine now and it looked fine before you messed with it."

Changkyun just shrugged his shoulders. He wanted to look nice wherever he was, and that included even when he was at the dorm.

He smoothed his clothes down and surveyed his image. 

Jooheon made an annoyed sound and took two steps so he could grab his arm. "Let's go already!"

He yanked him towards the door and Changkyun let himself get pulled along. It was either that or have his arm pulled out of the socket. Jooheon's grip was no joke.

Once they were halfway down the hallway, Jooheon released his arm and Changkyun rubbed it, trying to get the circulation flowing again.

As they passed the kitchen doorway, Jooheon abruptly stopped. "You know what? I'm hungry. We should make some food and then play XBox." 

He rolled his eyes. He had a feeling he knew where this was going. Since Jooheon couldn't cook to save his life, he was going to make him cook. When he wasn't even hungry!!

His stomach growled.

Okay, maybe he was.

A little. 

"What do you want?" He asked, conceding defeat.

"How about ramen? That's pretty quick to make." 

The older threw a smile in the maknae's direction.

Changkyun just looked blankly at him.

The smile not seeming to work, Jooheon decided to change his tactics.

He poked out his bottom lip and somehow, Changkyun really had no idea how he did it, he made his eyes become liquid pools of pathetic hope.

Ohhh, not the puppy dog look. He always caved whenever Jooheon used that on him. Even though he had done the same thing countless times before, it never failed to move him.

I hate you, Jooheon.

"All right, all right. Ramen it is."

The older's face became wreathed with smiles and he clapped his hands.

"Yay. Ramen!"

Changkyun rolled his eyes in exasperation and turned to enter the kitchen.

"I'll cook and you go set up the game, Hyung," he threw over his shoulder.

"Okay!"

He heard his rapid footsteps move away.

He shook his head. He was too old to always act like a little kid. Even he himself, while being the youngest, didn't act like Jooheon did. He was too mature for that childish behavior, he thought.

He got out a pot for the ramen and filled it with water, before placing it on the stove.

He was reaching for the knob to turn it on when suddenly all the lights went out.

He froze.

"Changkyun!" He heard Jooheon call his name from the other room. He sounded scared. 

He used his hands to feel his way out of the kitchen. He touched the side of the kitchen doorway and turned to the right to head towards the living room. He took four steps before Wham!

He collided with something. Or someone.

He rubbed his head where it stung because somebody ran right into him.

"Hyung!" He whined in pain. "Why didn't you stay there?"

"Because I was alone and it was dark," Jooheon whined right back.

"The entire dorm is dark, pabo! Not just the living room! Duh!"

Jooheon sniffed." Well, I was still alone." 

Changkyun couldn't see him but he could feel him move closer to him as he spoke. Soon, he was standing directly in front of him.

He pulled him closer and wrapped his arms around him. "Come here, you big baby," he said in English.

Jooheon stiffened slightly. "What did you call me? It sounded like an insult."

"Nothing you need to be alarmed at, " he cooed at him mildly sarcastically, though the sarcasm flew over his head.

He patted Jooheon's back and he burrowed closer.

I feel like a father comforting his newborn, he thought and had to stifle a laugh. Laughing right at this moment would not go over well. Been there, done that. He had the scars to prove it.

"It'll be fine, Hyung. The electricity will come back on soon. It's probably just because of the storm, " he soothed.

"Do we have any flashlights?" Jooheon's voice was muffled because it was currently buried in Changkyun's neck.

"I think so," he answered. "Let's go see." He moved backwards to the kitchen, still hugging Jooheon.

He finally maneuvered them both through the doorway and over to one of the cupboards. He retracted his arms so he could search for the flashlights. Jooheon still clung to him.

"Hyung, you'll have to let go so I can get the flashlights."

Jooheon reluctantly released him but still held onto his shirt with a fist.

Changkyun had to go by memory to find the flashlights but soon held a large one in his hand. 

"There's only one, Hyung. I thought we had three but the others aren't here."

"Hmmm." Jooheon made a noise but didn't have a response for that.

Thunder sounded and lightning flashed, lighting up the kitchen through the window behind the sink.

Jooheon let out a squeak and clutched his shirt with both hands now.

Changkyun rolled his eyes again. His hyung was a scaredy-cat.

"Let's go into the living room," he suggested.

Jooheon's only response was to let go of his shirt and hang onto his left arm instead.

Changkyun turned flipped the switch to the flashlight. Nothing happened. "Seriously?"

He tapped it against his leg, trying to get it to light up. No luck.

He sighed. "Hyung, I think the batteries are dead and I don't know where any extras are. I guess we'll just have to get used to the dark. Nothing else for it."

He moved toward the doorway. No use in staying in the kitchen.

"Should we just go to our room?" He shook his arm when he got no answer from Jooheon. "Hyung?" 

Still no response so he just decided to go to their room. Maybe once they were there, Jooheon would snap out of his coma and do something more than just cling to him.

He turned to the left to head to the bedroom when a sudden crash was heard from the direction of the living room.

"What was that?!" His heart was suddenly pounding. They were the only ones here!

Jooheon whimpered.

A second louder crash was heard and Jooheon let out a bloodcurdling scream directly in his ear, nearly deafening him. Jooheon's grip on his arm became painful.

With difficulty he removed Jooheon's hands from his arm and instead used his hands to pull him closer. 

He wrapped his arms around him, squeezing him tightly. Jooheon did the same, holding him so tightly, he couldn't catch a breath.

They stood there, knees knocking together in fear, hearts beating loud in their ears.

CRASH!

This time they both screamed.

 

 

~~~~~~~~

Hi, guys! This will have a second part (of course!) so please look forward to it soon :)

I would love to have you all comment and let me know what you think of it so far!!

Nine subscribers! You guys are awesome