Part Six

In the Dark

Changkyun exited the restroom and yawned tiredly. They had been practicing for hours and it was now nearly 6:00. Since they had released their new album, they were constantly going on music shows and so needed to practice even more to make sure they got all their new choreography down perfectly.

He made his way down the long hallway toward the practice room letting his mind wander a bit. He was really happy over the great response they had gotten from all their fans. He really loved the Monbebes and wanted to keep creating new lyrics and songs that would make them happy.

He was even more happy over his song, Madeleine, which he had recorded with several others. It had been a little different from most of the songs Monsta X recorded but it was his own and he was ecstatic over the fact that Starship had given him this chance.

He had become so lost in thought that he didn't see the body kneeling on the floor and so tripped over the person and went sprawling.

"Wha-!" He started. His exclamation was cut off when the breath was knocked from his lungs.

He groaned, just lying on the floor for a minute. He was already so tired that now he was lying down, it didn't seem like he had the strength to get back up again. He finally lifted his head and looked over his shoulder to see just who had tripped him up.

"Jooheon?" He asked shocked. He pushed himself up to his knees then sat down on the floor beside his group member.

"Shhh!" The other rapper turned his head and held his finger to his lips.

"Huh?" Changkyun looked around but saw no one else. "What are you doing, Hyung?"

The elder shushed him again and pointed down the next hallway. "Be quiet! He'll hear you."

"Who will?" He felt very confused. Jooheon wasn't making any sense to him. 

"Shownu-hyung!" 

"So what?" He asked slowly, raising his brows.

"So he'll know we're spying on him! Duh!"

Changkyun felt the need to make an observation. A very important one. "You mean he'll know you're spying on him. I have nothing to do with-with-" He stuttered as he tried to find the right word to describe this situation. "With whatever this is," he finished.

The older waved his hand as if swatting at an annoying fly. "Doesn't matter. If he sees us he'll think we've both been watching him."

"But I haven't. I haven't seen him at all since I left to go to the restroom."

Jooheon yanked on his arm until his head was past the corner. "Well, now you see him," Jooheon said sounding pleased. "Now I won't be the only one he yells at."

He caught a quick glimpse of the leader talking with a woman at the end of the hallway before he jerked his arm away and hurriedly ducked back behind the wall. "Why did you do that?" He yelled quietly. "This is all your business. Not mine. Don't drag me into things I know nothing about." His voice held a hint of anger.

"But you do know about this."

Changkyun leaned his head back and sighed. "How could I possibly know why you're spying on Shownu-hyung?"

"Because! Didn't you see who he was with?"

The younger blinked. "You mean the makeup noona? What about her?"

"He might like her. If he has any slight feeling for her, we can set him up with her." Jooheon laughed with glee. "This way will make finding Shownu-hyung a girlfriend so much easier."

"What?"

"You know, maknae. I told you about this weeks ago."

"No." He shook his head. "No, you didn't. You mentioned that you wanted to find him a girlfriend for some weird reason but you never told me any of this!"

Again the fly-swatting wave of Jooheon's hand. "That's just a minor detail. I've told you now."

"After you want me to take the fall with you! And I didn't even do anything!" Without trying, his voice had risen an octave and Jooheon quickly clapped his hand over Changkyun's mouth.

"Will you hush?" Jooheon exclaimed, sounding tired.

"Maybe I could if you'd stop freaking me out!"

"There is nothing for you to freak out about. Shownu is who we're finding a girlfriend for. Not you. You already said you're too busy to date. Remember?"

"Yes," he said between gritted teeth. 

"Good. So why are you getting freaked out then?"

"Because."

Jooheon rolled his eyes in response. "Whatever."  He reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded sheet of paper. "Over the last two weeks I've made a detailed list of all the females I know around Shownu-hyung's age." He passed the paper to Changkyun who opened it reluctantly.

On it were various names, all of which Changkyun thought he recognized. Some were makeup artists, stylists, dancers, backup singers. Basically every female that Starship employed over the age of 20. This was detailed all right. It was obvious Jooheon had spent a lot of time on this. Speaking of that....He turned to Jooheon.

"How in the world did you have the time to do all this research?"

The older rapper's face turned crimson and he nervously pulled at a tuft of hair near his ear. "Um. I stayed up late most nights." Well, that certainly explained why his face had kept looking so pale lately.

Changkyun sighed in defeat before speaking. "So since you keep insisting on finding our leader a girl, did you find anyone you thought would suit him?"

"Actually-"

"What are we whispering about?"

They both jumped and whirled around at the new voice.

Kihyun was crouched behind them with an amused expression.

They scrambled to their feet as fast as they could.

"Hyung!" Jooheon came in for a hug which Kihyun returned but his face was now serious. He hadn't bought the innocent act.

"What are you two up to?"

Jooheon opened his mouth ready to speak again but Changkyun had had enough.

"I'm not doing anything, Hyung. It's all this guy." He tapped Jooheon on the shoulder before he took off down the hallway.

"Hey!" Jooheon yelled after him. He didn't turn around though. He just jogged to the practice room as fast as he could without gaining attention.

Jooheon looked back at Kihyun. He looked back at him before he folded his arms, raised his eyebrows and tapped his foot.

"Well?" He finally said after he heard nothing.

He shrugged, deciding to play it cool. "Nothing really, Hyung. We were just watching Yujin noona down there," he said, naming the makeup artist they had seen Shownu speaking with. Kihyun didn't need to know that they had actually been watching them both. 

Kihyun's expression changed and a smile grew on his face. "Oh, my goodness! You have a crush on Yujin noona, don't you!"

What? What?!

"No, no," he denied hurriedly but Kihyun wasn't listening.

"Wait'll I tell the others!"

"What!" 

Kihyun turned and danced down the hallway, laughing. "This is great! I've gotta go find Wonho-hyung and tell him."

Jooheon chased after him, his heart beating a mile a minute.

"No! Wait!"

How did this turn bad so fast? he thought.