Part Nine

In the Dark

Changkyun watched as Shownu suddenly pushed back his chair and stood.

What is he doing?

The leader walked around the end of the table to where Jooheon and Yujin were seated. 

Jooheon was still trying to formulate a coherent sentence. 

"Noona, I-I, um, you..."

"What my dongsaeng is trying to say is that he's glad you were able to come."

Shownu looked at Jooheon, who tried to maintain eye contact. Shownu's stare was piercing. His lips suddenly pulled into a smile but his eyes retained their stone-like quality. Jooheon gulped.

"Isnt that right, Jooheon?" Shownu continued. His eyes narrowed and Jooheon found himself nodding without conscience thought.

"We all are, Noona."

Changkyun's head swiveled in the direction of the new voice. It seemed that Minhyuk's powers of observancy were in full force tonight. He watched as Minhyuk, too, walked around the table to stand next to the little group at the end of the table.

Minhyuk smiled at Yujin but Changkyun saw him surreptitiously place his hand on Shownu's shoulder and squeeze.

Changkyun saw Shownu jerk at the sudden touch. His head turned and he met Minhyuk's gaze. Minhyuk's action seemed to have been the right thing to do, however. Watching how Shownu seemed to go from being a statue to almost becoming Salem in his comfortable, sleepy state, was a very revealing sight. Until his stance had relaxed, Changkyun hadn't realized how tense the leader actually was. 

His mind wandered as he tried to figure out why Shownu-hyung was suddenly so upset. He had seemed fine in the van earlier, talking and joking with Wonho and Hyungwon who had been in the middle seat with Jooheon.

He was jerked from his thoughts as Wonho raised his soda glass and saluted Yujin. "To Yujin-noona! We're all so happy you could join us."

He threw a sly smile at Jooheon, whose mouth dropped open and then snapped closed. Changkyun saw him narrow his eyes and knew that Wonho better watch out.

Jooheon was normally the most level-headed of them all, but if you riled him up...well then, you better watch out. Jooheon would lie in wait until he'd figured out the best way to get his revenge. His patience would give you a false sense of security and when you least expected it- he would strike. 

Changkyun threw a glance at Kihyun and saw him looking unsure. He must've picked up on the fact that Jooheon was more than just a little miffed at Wonho and he for inviting Yujin and making it seem like something he had wanted.

Kihyun backed up and half hid behind Minhyuk. A wise move on his part. Jooheon could barely see him now.

Wonho, however, acted as if nothing was of the ordinary or wrong. Maybe it wasn't for him. Wonho didn't always see what was right in front of him.

He moved and stood beside Jooheon and threw his arm around his shoulders. "Jooheon is certainly happy you're here." He smiled at Jooheon. "Aren't you, Jooheon?"

Put on the spot like that, Jooheon did the only thing he could. "Of course I'm happy," he said through gritted teeth. "Yujin is a great noona and friend to us all." At the word friend, he looked Wonho in the eye and moved his head a little, trying to get his view of Yujin across to him, but Changkyun didn't think he got it. That, or he was just ignoring it.

Shownu had turned his gaze to them when Wonho had started speaking again. His face had a frozen look now. His smile had disappeared and his eyes looked blank. He turned back to Yujin but didn't plaster on his smile fast enough and she caught sight of his blank expression.

Yujin's face fell and her eyes dropped to the floor. She stood. "O-oh." Her voice faltered a bit as she spoke. "I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come. I'm interrupting your group dinner." She fumbled for the handle of her bag and then gave a deep bow to them all. "I hope you enjoy your evening. E-excuse me." She brushed past and walked rapidly towards the door.

All seven of them blinked in shock, trying to process what had just happened. Jooheon recovered first.

"Noona!" He called out. "Wait!" He pushed back his chair and ran, but didn't make it to the door in time. 

He pushed the door open and looked both ways down the street. There was no sign of Yujin anywhere. "Noona! Yujin-noona!!" He shouted anyways, but only a barking dog answered back.

He fisted his hands and stormed back inside. As he marched toward the rest, a little voice whispered in his mind, asking him why he was so angry.

He reached Shownu and shoved his chest, knocking him back and causing him to stagger.

"Jooheon!" The shocked voice belonged to Minhyuk, who grabbed the leader's arm and helped him stand upright. "Why did you do that?"

Jooheon's breath was labored. "Because!" He shouted. He tried to push Shownu again, but Wonho and Hyungwon grabbed his arms before he could. He struggled to get away, but their hold was too tight for him. "Let go of me, Hyungs!" 

"I don't think so," Wonho said glaring. "Apologize to Shownu-hyung."

"No." Jooheon finally shook of their hands. He stepped right up to the leader and looked him in the eye. "I won't. This is his fault." He moved so his mouth was next to his ear. "Hyung, listen. I don't like Yujin that way."

Shownu frowned in confusion. "What?"

Jooheon continued his whispering. "I saw your reaction when Wonho-hyung and Kihyun-hyung told Yujin-noona that I wanted her to join us." He pulled back a little so he could see Shownu's eyes. "I saw and it's your fault that she left."

He turned towards the door, grabbing his jacket as he went. 

"You need to fix it."

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Hello, Everyone!! I hope you all enjoy this update ;)