Part Eight

In the Dark

Changkyun shifted in his seat for the twentieth time since he'd climbed into the van. Jooheon had chased him, but he'd gotten to the van quite a ways ahead of him. Because of that fact, Jooheon hadn't been able to hit him like he was sure he would've if he had caught him before he'd run outside. Instead, he felt the force of Jooheon's glares every other minute.

He was pressed as close to the window in the back seat as he could get. The others had climbed in before Jooheon had made it to the van, huffing and puffing from his headlong run, so he had been stuck with sitting by the door in the middle.

Changkyun let out his breath in a long sigh and looked out the window, trying to ignore Jooheon. It was hard, though. The elder member's eyes had the ability to bore into your skin and be felt like a pinprick. At least, he could feel them and the sensation was almost more than he could bare

He felt a hand tap his arm and he turned his head to look at Minhyuk who was seated beside him.

"Yes, Hyung?"

"Are you okay? You've been really quiet."

He nodded his head and made the mistake of glancing to the next seat. He encountered Jooheon's eyes, which narrowed at him. He quickly tore his gaze away and back to Minhyuk's face. "Yeah. I'm okay, Hyung."

Minhyuk however, wasn't buying his 'I'm okay' bit. He, too, glanced at Jooheon. He sighed before turning back to face the baby of the group.

"Did something happen between Jooheon and you?" He gave him a searching look. "And don't even think of lying to me, Maknae." His lips pressed together and his head tilted down to look at Changkyun's face better.

Changkyun swallowed nervously. Minhyuk was usually the oblivious one, but today, he was more observant than Shownu.

"Well?" Minhyuk demanded when he stayed quiet.

"I..I, um, kind of teased Jooheon-hyung and now he's angry with me."

"That's all?" Minhyuk's voice held his disbelief. "I've never known Jooheon to be this angry at you for just teasing him."

Neither have I. Changkyun didn't voice his thoughts, however. He just shrugged and returned his attention to the passing lights as the vehicle sped by them.

Did I go too far? All he'd meant to do was give Jooheon a little harmless teasing. Had he somehow struck a nerve? And, why?

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Wonho pulled Kihyun aside as they all filed through the door of the restaurant.

"Is everything ready?" He whispered close to his ear.

Kihyun's smile was mischievous. "We are a go, Hyung."

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Their manager raised his glass of soda and saluted all seven of them. " A toast to Monsta X and another great practice day." He smiled around the table and they all smiled back. All, except for Jooheon and Changkyun, that is.

The manager sighed as he set his glass down, and rubbed his eyes. "All right, you two. What's going on? You've both been quiet as church mice and you haven't once spoken to each other. Normally, neither of you will shut up."

Jooheon looked at their manager and scowled. "Won't shut up, Hyung? That's not very nice to say," he muttered under his breath.

He gave him a pointed look. "Well, do you?"

The answer this time was quieter than Jooheon's muttered complaining had been. "No, Hyung."

"I didn't think so." He clapped his hands. "Now, this is supposed to be a night for celebrating and you two better get past whatever is between you. Otherwise, both of you can grab your things and head back to the dorm now." He moved his gaze from one to the other. "What's it going to be? Are you two going to act civilized to one another or am I sending for a taxi?"

Changkyun risked his chances and looked in Jooheon's direction. He met his eyes. The nod was almost imperceptible, but he saw it.

"We'll stay, Hyung," Changkyun said to the manager, breaking his silence for the first time since they arrived.

The manager smiled, satisfied. "Good."

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Thirty minutes later, they were all in better spirits, talking and laughing. The food had just arrived and they couldn't wait to dig in, they were all starving.

Suddenly, they heard a commotion at the restaurant entrance and watched as someone stepped into the room.

"Who is that?" Changkyun overheard Hyungwon asking. He watched in confusion as Wonho and Kihyun rose from their seats and walked towards the figure, whom he still couldn't make out.

The two members bowed to the newcomer and each took an arm as they escorted them to the table.

Changkyun's eyes widened as Yujin noona was seated in the empty chair next to Jooheon.

Jooheon's eyes became saucers before he turned and glared accordingly at Changkyun. 

The maknae raised his hands in an ' It wasn't me' manner but it didn't change the other rapper's expression.

His bad mood returned and he swirled the soda in his glass as he heard the members greeting their noona. He quickly did the same, rising out of his seat slightly and bowing to her.

As he sank back into his chair, his eyes caught a slight movement from the other side of the table.

He saw Shownu's gaze flick from Yujin to Jooheon and back several times. Changkyun's eyebrows rose. This was interesting.

"So, Jooheon. Wonho and Kihyun told me that you wanted me to come tonight but was probably too shy to ask me yourself. Why?" Yujin's face was looking squarely at Jooheon and Changkyun could practically hear him freaking out.

"Um..I-I...." Jooheon's voice trailed off and Wonho and Kihyun were gifted with his glares this time.

Changkyun noticed all of this from the corner of his eye because his attention was fixed on their leader sitting across from him. 

The leader whose hand was now fisted around his chopsticks.

This was very interesting.

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Hi, Everyone. It's been a while, hasn't it? If any of you have read my latest blogs, then you'll know I've had a lot going on. I've finally had a few days off from work and where I have just relaxed and done basically nothing productive. I needed it. 

I hope you all enjoy this chapter and haven't given up on ever seeing an update for my stories. I also needed a break from writing. I don't know about any other writers here, but for me, writing can and does take a lot from me.

Anyway, enjoy and Happy New Year!!