Chapter 19

Impossible Love (Hiatus)

Seohyun held Yoona's hands tightly in hers as the breathing apparatus was placed over her nose and mouth. Feeling Yoona's grip tighten in her hands, Seohyun placed her ears close to Yoona's face as she struggled to say something with the breathing equipment on. Seohyun frowned as the equipments in the ambulance were too loud for her to hear what Yoona had to say and after a few attempts, Yoona suddenly coughed as a mist of blood coated the breathing apparatus she had on. Seohyun hurriedly shushed her and and told her to just save it for later as Yoona traced something on her palm. Seohyun struggled to figure out what Yoona wanted to say admist the movement of the vehicle and  it took a few attempts before she could correctly guessed that the first alphabet was I. The 2nd alphabet was harder as it involved a more. Seohyun felt Yoona's finger trace a straight line down the middle of her palm and then formed a 90 degrees angle on her hand as Yoona's hands slipped from her grasp and fell limply onto the stretcher as Yoona passed out from the extertion.

Seohyun shook Yoona's shoulder begging her to stay with her as she screamed  "I L what??? At least finish what you wanted to say before sleeping, you...you..." The paramedics hurriedly pulled her away before she could finish as they didn't want her to aggrevate Yoona's injury further. They only allowed her to return to Yoona's side after making her promise to remain calm at all times. Seohyun gently picked up Yoona's hands as she absent mindedly traced the alphabets I and L on her palm over and over again while praying for Yoona to be safe and sound.

 The ambulance arrived at the hospital as Yoona was pushed into the one of the cubicles in accident and emergency department as doctors and nurses ran around fervently attending to the many patients of varying dieases and injuries. Seohyun was told to wait outside as a doctor rushed into Yoona's cubicle to assess her situation. A mixture of sounds echoed around the entire waiting area as Seohyun anxiously waited outside her cubicle and grew more and more frightened listening to the sounds around her. There were sounds of people groaning, sounds of crying family members as they lost a loved one and even sounds of screaming either from pain or from concerned family members outside letting their loved one know they were there for them. Seohyun contemplated screaming to Yoona herself but she stopped herself in time as she didn't want to pressurise the doctor inside further.

Just as she paraded down the walkway outside Yoona's cubicle for the 10th time, Yoona's grand dad arrived with Lupin and DD by his side as they rushed over to Seohyun and asked her how the situation was currently. Seohyun managed to keep her feelings in check as she tried to explain what had happened at the staircase landing. After hearing her story, Yoona's granddad took Seohyun's hand and led her to sit down on one of the chairs as he gently reassured her that Yoona was going to be fine as Lupin and DD stood worriedly by his side. Yoona's granddad took out his phone as he scrolled through the contact list and dialed a number. Speaking in hushed tones, he briefly explained Yoona's situation to the person on the other line and Seohyun heard him thanking the person before ending the call and placing the phone back into his pocket.  Explaining to Seohyun that he had just gotten off the phone with an old friend of his who happens to be the chief medical officer of this hospital, he reassured her that Yoona will be in good hands this time. Moments after he placed the phone down, an elderly looking doctor exited from one of the lifts and nodded at Yoona's granddad as he entered into the cubicle Yoona was in and spoke to the doctor who was inside.

E

Yoona was wheeled out from the cubicle as the doctor removed his face mask and smiled at Seohyun and Yoona's grandad "We are going to perform a minor surgery on her right now as the nail had servered a few of her veins so we have to suture them close before we can stitch her up and give her the tetanus shot. Dont' worry, she will be fine." Seohyun nodded as she headed upstairs with the three of them in tow and they sat outside the operation theatre waiting for the final outcome. Pierre which was the name Yoona's granddad called himself, tried to lighten the situation a little as he told Seohyun that he was actually fully recovered from laryngitis already but being lazy, he decided to feign sick and make Yoona do all his work for him. Laughing at his cleverness he nodded as he told Seohyun all abut how responsible Yoona is and the guilt he sometimes feel for exposing her to such a life from birth.

Pierre gently took Seohyun's hands in his as he revealed a surprising secret of Yoona that she had intially wanted to keep from Seohyun. Yoona's parents died in an accident when she was 13 and Yoona came to live with her granddad. Perhaps it was the company she was mixing around with or perhaps it was because she didn't know how to face with her parent's sudden departure but Yoona became a changed person overnight. She would hang out with her so called group of friends every night as they went around picking fights, vandalising public properties and creating havoc and wreckage everywhere she went. Whatever her granddad said fell on deaf ears and he couldn't remember the amount of times he had to bail her out from the police station. Luckily for her her granddad was influential enough in town for the police to drop the charges against her.

She continued on like this for months and months and her granddad was on the verge of giving up on her when an incident happened. Yoona had gotten herself drunk again as she laid in the back alley of a pub that sold drinks to underaged kids and was puking her guts out when a girl walked past and offered her a hanky to clean her face up. The next time she saw the girl again, she was being chased by a rival street gang for beating one of their members up. She was exiting from a piano school downtown when Yoona barged into her nearly knocking her down. Her hair got caught in one of the accessory Yoona wore and she was forced to run along as there was no time to untangle the mess. That was the first time Yoona held her hand as they ran along the alleyways finally managing to hide in the narrow gap between two walls. Yoona had her arms around the girl as she shielded her from the view outside and the two of them took the opportunity to catch their breath. Yoona looked into the frightened eyes of the girl and tried reassuring her that everything was going to be alright as she felt the stirings of a warmth feeling from within the depths of her own heart.

The both of them managed to get away in the end and when Yoona finally cut away the lock of hair that was tangled in her accessory, the girl laughed and told her to keep it in remembrance of the exhilarating moment they shared. Every since that incident. Yoona has been wandering aimlessly around downtown day after day in the bid to catch another lucky glimpse of the girl again. She picked up her books again when she saw how much the girl loves reading and even tried learning the piano when she knew the girl could play the piano well. Because of her behaviour, the group she hung out with gradually shyed away from her and she amazed everyone at home when she got into one of the most prestigious college in town. Unfortunately, Yoona somehow found out that the girl was coming in a year later and purposely failed her exams just so she could repeat year 1 all over again with her

Taking out Yoona's wallet in his hands, Pierre opened it and took out a small plastic bag with a lock of hair inside and handed it to Seohyun, "the girl is you my dear. You are the girl that my grand daughter has stupidly fallen head over heels for, the one that changed her over completely, the one she loves with all her heart." Clasping the lock of hair tightly in her hands, Seohyun now knew what Yoona had been trying to tell her in the ambulance just now. I L Y, I Love You.