Chapter VI - The One Who Tried to Steal the Sun

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

[ Chapter VI ]

The One Who Tried To Steal the Sun

 

 

As Hakyeon and Taekwoon grew up, the two became much busier with their lives and studies. The two were sixteen already and it was the most important time of their lives. Important meaning school and exams as well as getting ready towards another step into being adults. They missed their times as children, who had zero care in the world and could be as free as they could ever be. They could meet up, laugh and cry as they wanted and whenever they felt like it.

Becoming adults was hard.

It meant growing up and maturing but Hakyeon, especially, didn’t like that idea. Somehow he wished he could enter a world where he didn’t have to grow up and just play all day long with his friends, especially with Taekwoon.

Hakyeon has been adjusting to his studies and although he placed first a few times during their exams, his heart just wasn’t there with school. Although it may not look like it, Hakyeon didn’t enjoy school one bit. Sure he laughed and boasted about his grades to his classmates and tried being friends with every single one of the teachers, but he knew that there were people jealous of him. Someone who seems so carefree yet still getting good grades was unfair is what they thought. So, they made fun of him. Again, with the comments about his skin and height. Hakyeon is good at controlling his emotions in front of other people though. He easily puts on a fake smile and made people think like nothing can hurt his feelings or confidence. The more they made fun of him, the more he would smile or talk. People can call him obnoxious or ignorant but it was the only way for Hakyeon to not burst into tears.

“It’s okay, Cha Hakyeon, you’re okay. You can do it! Just stay calm and be strong!” He tells himself.

Hakyeon would take a deep breath and let it all go, relax his body and shake off all the stress he gained from school and finally, he would tell himself one more time, “you can do it. You are perfect the way you are so don’t mind what others say.”

Those words were not something Hakyeon taught himself to say but rather, something that his lifelong friend said to him many times when Hakyeon was feeling down.

“It’s okay, Hakyeon-ah. I know you the best, you’re good at whatever you do, so be more confident in yourself. Trust me,” Taekwoon would tell him.

Although Hakyeon has never met his lifelong friend face to face, he always had this strange feeling of familiarity with Taekwoon. Is it because of his voice? The way he talks? Or just the person his lifelong friend is? Taekwoon doesn’t talk much and is very secretive about himself but it didn’t bother Hakyeon one bit. He just liked Taekwoon the way he is because Taekwoon liked Hakyeon for who he is as well. Hakyeon was glad that he made Taekwoon his lifelong friend. He couldn’t have asked for anyone better.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Just like Hakyeon, Taekwoon was also very busy with school work, except his studies were done from homeschooling. There was no way he would have fit in with other kids in a public school. Either they would avoid him or pick fights with him.

Aside from studying, Taekwoon also had to train hard on his powers. His powers that would prove essential in taking over the throne as the next "Ruler of the Underworld". Taekwoon didn’t ask for that position and to be honest, it only meant more pressure. As much as Taekwoon didn’t want it, his powers, however, said otherwise. When he reached the age of fifteen, his powers began to awaken. His powers were very unstable and hard to control especially when Taekwoon felt anger or frustration. Taekwoon was good at keeping a poker face when it comes to holding his laughter but he was bad with controlling his anger. He didn’t know how to deal with it and his powers would reflect those intense emotions by destroying everything around him.

Because of his powers, there would be times when Taekwoon would have to trap himself in his home and let it loose until his powers run out. It could take hours or even days, which became another reason why Taekwoon couldn’t meet with Hakyeon at times. Taekwoon tried thinking about Hakyeon and imagine his laughter in order to calm down each time. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Although the two couldn’t meet at their secret place as often as they did when they were young, neither of them ever stopped thinking about one another.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

After his usual training exercises, Taekwoon would head back to his bedroom to catch up on his studies and try to find ways to improve. Just as he passed by the living room, he overheard two of the maids talking about something rather intriguing.

“Did you hear about the rumors?” One of them said.

“About?” The other looked at her curiously.

“The witch… you know, the one that got exiled from the Heavens.”

“Oh my, yes why of course I did. What about it?”

“Apparently she got banned down here to the Underworld!”

“What? Not executed? Didn’t she commit some sort of high treason?”

“Yes. She tried to steal the ‘Sun’ from the Gods!”

“What?! Is she crazy? But how? I thought that place was highly guarded and nearly impossible to approach?”

“I don’t know either but apparently she created some sort of magic or craft to do so. Some said she almost succeeded.”

“Yet she still didn’t get prosecuted? That’s very weird, I wonder why.”

“Who knows but it could be because she’s the direct descent of the God of the Sun? The one who guards the Sun himself. It’s a bit strange though. The heir trying to steal the sun from her own father. Maybe they had a huge fight?” She shrugged.

The Sun, Taekwoon stopped to imagine. He’s heard stories both from his mother and Hakyeon. From his mother, she mentioned it was a treasure amongst the gods that provided light to the worlds it shined over as well as a symbol of ruling the Heavens. For Hakyeon, it was just something that was bright and told them when it was day or night but he didn’t like it very much because it only meant causing him to become more tanned. Was it possible to even steal the Sun though? Taekwoon doesn't know.

All he did know was that there was someone crazy enough to attempt stealing something so important and angered all the Gods from above. What was most interesting was that she nearly succeeded though.

Just how powerful is this witch?

*   *   *   *   *   *

 “Do you believe in witches?” Taekwoon asked Hakyeon when they finally met.

“Huh? Why do you suddenly ask?”

“I don’t know… well, do you?”

“Maybe? Mom always said that there are a lot of unexplainable things in this world that we may never see. I believe in ghosts so what’s there not to believe? Wait… don’t tell me - “ Hakyeon suddenly cut his own words and paused.

“... What?”

“Is our Taekwoonie a witch?! Heol! Is that why you never talk about yourself??”

“Huh?” It’s one of Hakyeon’s ‘dumb’ moments again, Taekwoon thought.

“I’m not. I was only asking.” Taekwoon defended himself.

“Che. And here I thought you were one. I would totally have believed you if you said you were though. You barely talk about yourself and I don’t know how you look like, so anything is possible right? Plus, if you were one, maybe you can find a way to open this darn door in front of us.” Hakyeon said disappointedly.

I wish, Taekwoon thought to himself, depressed that his powers were useless when it came to trying to pry open the door that stood between him and his friend. He’s tried before when he first discovered his powers but it all led to failure.

“So, you know what day it’ll be exactly two weeks from now?” Hakyeon suddenly interrupted.

“Huh?” Taekwoon was still too deep in his negative thoughts that he didn’t pay attention to Hakyeon talking on the other side.

“Don’t ‘huh’ me! Grr… you definitely forgot! Even though I mentioned it last time too! It’ll be exactly ten years since we met!”

“Huh? …. Oh, is it?” Something didn’t sound right to Taekwoon though.

“Oh? Is that all you have to say? You should be more excited! Ten years, Taekwoonie! Ten whole years!” Hakyeon sulked.

“... Wait, that doesn’t sound right though. I think you made a mistake? It’s only been nine years as far as I can remember.” They first met when they were seven and they’re currently sixteen, so that only makes it nine years right? Taekwoon kept calculating in his head.

“Nu-uh. It’s going to be ten years this year and ten years again next year! Because…. I say so!”

“What? So it isn’t our ten years then…” Taekwoon became even more confused.

“I say it’s ten and ten it is. I don’t like waiting until next year to celebrate and I don’t like celebrating such an odd number like eights or nines!”

“Pfft. I see.” Taekwoon gave up. He never understood Hakyeon’s logic, to begin with. Despite Hakyeon being a self-claimed genius, he has his ‘dumb’ moments in which Taekwoon couldn’t help but think it was rather, cute. There was no use in arguing was what Taekwoon concluded. If Hakyeon says it’ll be their tenth year since they first met, then ten years it will be and ten years again next year.

“Anyways! Promise me you’ll make it! Okay?” Hakyeon asked.

“Mmm.”

“Don’t you dare disappear without a word like last time or I’ll be really mad!”

It’s not like Taekwoon wanted to skip out on their meetups. It just so happened that Taekwoon’s power went out of control so he couldn’t get out of the house even if he wanted to. Taekwoon had gone through several teachers in order to help him learn to control his powers but one by one, they all failed and only ended up with severe injuries all over. If only there was someone who could help him...

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Although Taekwoon was able to manage his own powers to a certain extent, it was both mentally and physically exhausting. Aside from the physical training and meditation, he’s also gone through several libraries and reference halls to find a possible solution. He would go through books and books every night to the point that he had read through almost every book that was available in the Underworld.

“Master Taekwoon? You’re here again tonight,” an old man asked. He was the bookkeeper for the library that Taekwoon was staying at for the night to study.

“Mhmm. I just want to go through these books again just to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I have tried all the books on magical items and spells but there’s still nothing that can help me. What should I do?”

The bookkeeper was silent in trying to help Taekwoon brainstorm of something to help the lost young master.

“I don’t know if I should suggest this but….” he paused. “I don’t know if she will be willing to help either…”

“Who?”

“Have you heard of the witch from the Heavens that was exiled here to the Underworld?”

“Yes. I overheard rumors about her. The one who tried to steal the Sun right?”

“Yes. Apparently, she's the heir to the God of the Sun and was going to be the next guardian after her father but for some reason, she committed the crime of trying to steal the very thing her father was trying to protect. Because she’s the direct heir and excels in witchcrafts, rumors say that she is awfully powerful.”

“How powerful?”

“I’m not quite sure but rumors also mentioned that she has a rather, odd personality. Maybe because of her crafts and powers but she’s quite introverted and doesn’t like to meet people. And when she does, she would practice spells on them without zero mercy.” He continued.

Taekwoon became a bit more interested in the said witch. If she’s as powerful as they say, then maybe, just maybe, she has a way to help Taekwoon control his own powers.

“Do you know where she’s hiding?” Taekwoon asked after coming to a conclusion. It wouldn’t hurt to try, I guess.

“Hmm. She’s probably located in a place somewhere amongst the marshlands. Neither dead nor the living would go there and there have been strange things happening lately around that area. But are you sure you want to find her?”

“I’ll see. Thank you.”

“But what if she harms you?”

“Don’t worry. I have Hyuk to assist me on the way.”

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

The marshlands had no name, it had nothing to be exact. It was far out in the middle of nowhere except an empty wasteland that no one cared to go to. The grounds were so moist that one wrong step could lead you sinking deep below and never able to come back up. It was the perfect place to isolate someone and trap them there to defend for themselves. Taekwoon was careful on his way to the find the witch and he had Hyuk by his side, so there wasn’t anything to be afraid of. Hyuk has become a very well-trained hellhound in the family and grew far more powerful than he was compared to when he was a puppy. Hyuk has become dependable.

The place was further than Taekwoon presumed and took more than half a day by foot to get to. There was no way any carriages or horses could make it through because of the landscape. Taekwoon had no choice but to cast a few spells to protect himself from sinking as he walked above the land. Although it was a long walk, Taekwoon knew he was getting closer to something. The air became hotter, so hot that Taekwoon could feel his sweat streaming down from his sides.

She’s definitely nearby, Taekwoon thought.

The unusual heat Taekwoon felt was strange and it was only possible if someone was practicing magic or spells in the middle of nowhere to create such distortion in the temperature. If anyone was able to create this heat, it would be none other than the heir of the God of the Sun herself. As he approached deeper into the swamps, he could see bubbles starting to boil from underneath his feet. The heat made Taekwoon feel very uncomfortable and even though he had already cast a barrier to shield himself from the piercing temperature, the air felt like it was going to penetrate through and burn him.

He began to see a bit of light from afar and as he walked to approach it, he found a cottage lying in the middle of the boiling sea. Taekwoon walked up to the porch and knocked on the door but there was no answer. He went around to see if there was an opening to peak into but every window was completely sealed shut. Whoever lived here definitely wanted to be isolated.

Breaking in might not have been the brightest idea Taekwoon could think of but he had no choice. One, he was desperate to find the witch for help and two, the heat was starting to irritate him so much he wanted to get this business over with as soon as possible.

He blasted open the door to find the place completely pitched black. There were a few candles lit on the desk and some lying on the floor around a used spell circle. The place definitely had a sense of ‘witchcraft’ or sorcery type of atmosphere around it but there was no witch to be found. Taekwoon walked to examine the room and its creepy decor that Taekwoon could not make sense of. Just then, something caught his eye. It was a drawing pinned onto the wall.

A picture of a door.

Just as he was about to approach to drawing to see it closer, a blast of fire ran right past next to Taekwoon’s face.

“Who the hell are you?!”

Alarmed, Taekwoon turned back getting ready to defend himself. He expected it to be the witch he was looking for but instead, it was a tall young man standing at the doorsteps getting ready to fire a second time.

“Well? Answer me!” the man interrogated Taekwoon for the last time with his deep caved-like voice.