Chapter XVII - Why

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

[CHAPTER XVII]

Why

 

 

Although Taekwoon forcefully made Hakyeon sleep by his side, the one who couldn’t get any sleep was himself. He kept looking at Hakyeon’s peaceful face as he slept with his head resting on Taekwoon’s arms. He felt the needles poking and numbing his arms but didn’t dare to make a move in case he woke Hakyeon up. Hakyeon’s warmth was so close to his own that he could almost feel their hearts beating side by side in unison. Seeing that Hakyeon was so concerned about him made him forget about everything and relieved that he considered important to Hakyeon. He heard it all.

Hakyeon’s plead to the Gods.

“You’re all that I’ve got as well Hakyeon. I can’t let you go… I don’t know how,” Taekwoon whispers gently to Hakyeon who was deep asleep.

The morning came and Hakyeon woke up first. He realized too late that he had been sleeping so carelessly on Taekwoon’s arms even though the other was already covered in injuries. He felt sorry and slowly got up. He didn’t want to wake Taekwoon up as he was still recovering and decided to go down to the kitchen to prepare some food before his friend awakens. Hakyeon was relieved that Taekwoon was alright but he still couldn’t help but worry. Why does Taekwoon concern him so much? He still couldn’t understand.

“Hakyeon-ah,” his mother called out to him.

“Morning. What is it, mom?” Hakyeon trying to reply to her as brightly as he could.

“Are you okay?” She worried.

“Mhmm. I’m okay. It’s just… Taekwoon’s injuries… He got hurt because he was trying to save me. I…”

“Don’t worry. He’s stronger than he looks. I’m sure you know that.”

Hakyeon nodded.

“You’re right.”

“The mayor was looking for you this morning for something. It seems like an urgent matter so I think you should go speak with him immediately. I’ll help you bring the food up to Taekwoon once it’s ready, okay? Don’t worry too much. I’ll take care of him.” She reassured him.

“Thanks, mom.”

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

 “I heard you were looking for me, sir?” Hakyeon asked the man.

“Soo-ah told me you wanted to postpone the marriage back to next month? First, you rushed to make it earlier than planned and now you want to go back on your words? Does something about my Soo-ah that doesn’t please you enough?” The old man became grumpier as he spoke.

“No, sir. It’s just… I thought I was being too childish and rushing the marriage. It’s a very important event for both Soo-ah… and me.” Hakyeon said as his voice seemed to be lost at the end.

“Oh? Then, it is more than enough reason that the two of you get married as soon as possible. Don’t you forget that I’m the reason your mother is getting the treatment that she’s getting.” The old man said in a rather, threatening tone.

“I know. I really appreciate it for everything you’ve done for our family. My mother’s recovery and Soo-ah helping out at our bakery as well. I can’t thank the two of you enough,” Hakyeon trying to calm the man’s temper.

“Hmph. At least you know that very well. But I cannot have you going back and forth with your decisions. I make the decisions and I’ve made up my mind. The two of you will have your wedding by the first of next month. I will not have it any later!”

Hakyeon was troubled with the one-sided decision the mayor had. It was Hakyeon and Soo-ah’s marriage yet the two younger ones couldn’t say anything about it. Hakyeon left the mayor’s office disheartedly and let out a sigh. What do I do? He thinks to himself. Just a week ago, he had no problem with accepting the marriage with some girl he barely knew. He was very happy in fact that he was going to marry one of the finest ladies in town and even wanted to brag about it afterward. But now, he wasn’t so sure. What made him change his mind?

“Hakyeon-ah?” Soo-ah called out when she saw Hakyeon standing alone with a sad face on.

“What’s wrong? Did my father say something to you? Do you want me to talk to him?”

Hakyeon shook his head. “It’s okay. It’s nothing much. It’s just… he’s decided. The date of our wedding.”

“Huh?” She looked at Hakyeon, she had a troubled face.

“He said the first of next month, and no later than that.”

The two of them exchanged looks at one another, both were troubled. Although neither of them minded getting married to one another at first, they knew in their hearts that they only care for one another as friends. Nothing more.

“Do you think we can do something about it?” She suggested.

“I don’t know. Do you have any ideas?”

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Back at the Cha household, Taekwoon finally woke up from his long slumber and realized that Hakyeon was not by his side. He heard the sounds of the bedroom door opening and saw Hakyeon’s mother walk in.

“Good morning, Taekwoon.”

Taekwoon lifted himself from his bed to greet the lady but she stopped him.

“No need. You’re still hurt from your injuries, so you shouldn’t move around too much. Hakyeon made this porridge for you to eat. Please have some.”

“Hakyeon?” Taekwoon looking behind her to see if his friend was there.

“He left just now to the mayor’s mansion to talk about some matters. So I brought this up to you instead. Please have some before it gets cold.”

Although Taekwoon was slightly disappointed, he couldn’t refuse the fragile lady’s offer. After all, despite the fact that she was still ill and almost barely able to keep her balance, she brought him food all the way up to the bedroom.

“Thank you. It was good,” Taekwoon finishing the food and set the dishes aside.

Taekwoon could see the strange look that Hakyeon’s mother had on her face again. The same look since the first time they met as if she wanted to say something but didn’t.

“Um…” Taekwoon initiated, “is something the matter?”

“Huh? No. It’s just that…” She couldn’t reply.

As she fell silent, Taekwoon could finally see how Hakyeon’s mother really looked like. Her distinct features that he didn’t take notice of the first time because he was too absorbed with Cha Hakyeon that no one else really mattered. Her face was so pale compared to her son’s yet her eyes resembled him greatly. The wrinkles on the corner of her eyes were exactly like Hakyeon’s when he smiles.

They really resemble one another, Taekwoon thought to himself.

“Can I ask you something, Mrs. Cha?” Taekwoon initiated the conversation with her.

“Yes?”

“I remember Hakyeon used to talk about how energetic and healthy you use to be, just like Hakyeon himself. But he never mentioned how you got sick. You don’t seem much older than us so I’ve always wondered, if you don’t mind me asking, do you know how you got sick?” Taekwoon was curious. The human illnesses that never affects the Gods were something that the immortals have always tried to research into. Despite Hakyeon always telling Taekwoon about how energetic his mother had been, seeing her in such state, also worried him. When she suddenly fell ill, nobody had the answer to it. Even all the local doctors couldn’t understand the illness and therefore, she couldn’t receive the proper care she needed until the mayor offered to help. With a price that is.

“It’s-…”

Taekwoon could hear her hesitation.

Taekwoon could see she didn’t want to answer him despite obviously knowing the cause of her own illness.

“It’s okay. Don’t worry about it. Sorry, I didn’t mean to trouble you about it. It’s great that you’re doing better now though. Hakyeon was so relieved to see you standing and walking again.” Taekwoon tried his best not to upset her as she looked troubled by his curiosity.

There was a moment of silence until she decided to be the one who broke it.

“Why did you come here?” She asked.

“Huh?”

“Here. To the Mortal Realm.”