Chapter XXIV – Unpredictable

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

[CHAPTER XXIV]

Unpredictable

 

 

“How long did I pass out for?” Taekwoon asked Ravi. It was the first thing he said the moment he woke up. He lost consciousness in the past so many times that he knew very well how it felt like.

“Two days.”

Taekwoon was concerned. He knew that during these two days where he has lost his consciousness meant that he was already two days late from the promised time to go back to the human world. He wanted to rush back to the other side as soon as he got up but his body did not allow him to do so. The excessive use of his powers have been drained completely dry from his body and now, he had to spend more time to retain them again. As much as he wanted to go back to the human world, it was impossible unless he restored enough of his powers to make it across the portal.

Restoring his powers took another few days.

“You need to come back here the moment you feel something doesn’t feel right okay? Although you’ve restored most of your powers by now, the effects of being in the human world are too much on your body and mind. It seems like your body itself isn’t used to being on the other side. If you’re late even a bit coming back here, your life will be at risk. Got it?” Ravi told Taekwoon as he got another portal ready for Taekwoon again.

Taekwoon nodded and stepped immediately inside.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Taekwoon has been late to return to the human world as he had originally promised Hakyeon. Exactly a whole week late…

He was worried about his lover because he knew of how insecure Hakyeon could be sometimes. As soon as he arrived back to the human world, he rushed back to the town of Pinewoods. Taekwoon was still very tired but he was more worried about Hakyeon then he did for himself.

“Is Hakyeon here?” Taekwoon asked Hakyeon’s mother the moment he arrived at their home.

“You’re back. Did you get your powers back? How’s your body feeling?” She replied. She was worried for Taekwoon.

“Yes, but I may need to make trips back to the Underworld if I feel like any of the symptoms are coming back. Ravi said that it may be because I’m from the royalty that the effects affected me faster than others.”

“I see. That could be the case indeed. Hakyeon is upstairs resting I think. He’s quite upset because you’re late getting back but don’t let it get to you, you know how that child can be. You were busy recovering in order to stay here, he should be understanding at least that much. If he doesn’t, I’ll talk to you for him. Anyways, go upstairs and tell him that you’re back.”

“Thank you, ma’am. I will.” Taekwoon bowed and headed towards Hakyeon’s bedroom.

Taekwoon knocked on Hakyeon’s door but there was no answer. Did he fall asleep? Taekwoon slowly opened the door to peek inside, making sure he didn’t wake Hakyeon up if the other really was asleep. But there was no one on the bed.

“Hakyeon-ah?” Taekwoon called out.

No answer.

Taekwoon went inside and saw that Hakyeon was curled up in the corner behind his bed, heads tucked in between his knees.

“Hakyeon-ah!” Taekwoon ran up to his lover to make sure he was okay. “Is something wrong? Are you okay?”

Hakyeon slowly looked up to see who was calling his name. Unlike the usual Hakyeon, who would instantly bounce up at the sight of seeing Taekwoon again, this Hakyeon did not say a word. He looked up blankly at Taekwoon and slowly opened his arms to hold his lover. A weak grasp. He didn’t have any strength to give Taekwoon a tight hug as he usually does. Taekwoon became worried about seeing Hakyeon in such a state.

Something definitely wasn’t right. What happened while I was away?

“Hakyeon-ah, what’s wrong? Are you mad that I’m late? I’m sorry. Some things happened back home and I got held back.” Taekwoon tried to lift Hakyeon’s face up to see what sort of expression the other had but Hakyeon was stubbornly hiding his face against Taekwoon’s broad shoulders.

Hakyeon shook his head slightly and tighten his grasp a little more.

“It’s okay… I’m just glad that you’re back.” Hakyeon finally said. But in a very weak and almost inaudible tone.

“You sure?”

Hakyeon nodded.

The two of them held onto one another for a while until Hakyeon slowly returned to normal or at least what seems to be his normal. Hakyeon’s mother called the two down for supper that night and after they finished, Hakyeon asked Taekwoon to go home alone because he was tired. The usual Hakyeon would cling onto Taekwoon regardless and not want his lover to leave but the Hakyeon that Taekwoon saw was unreadable. Taekwoon couldn’t make out the expression on Hakyeon’s face nor read his mind. Was he mad that I was late? If so, why does he look like that rather than getting mad at me?

“Did something happen while I was away?” Taekwoon asked while he walked with Hyuk back to the inn.

Hyuk didn’t know the exact answer to the question either. He only knew that Hakyeon has been acting rather strange since he first went to visit Soo-ah and the many times after that. Hyuk was left either at Hakyeon’s home or Jaehwan’s whenever Hakyeon left to visit Soo-ah. Hyuk barked at Taekwoon to give his master a signal that something probably did happen while Taekwoon was gone but he wasn’t exactly sure what it was either.

Taekwoon was worried about Hakyeon. What can he do to make up for his lateness?

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Taekwoon wanted to be the first one to see Hakyeon the next morning since Hakyeon would usually be the first instead. However, his body still felt the aches from his battles in the Underworld. He hasn’t fully recovered yet. Although his powers did restore during his time back home, he was still physically drained.

He tried to force himself to get up and walk but it was almost impossible. Just then he heard a knock on his door. It was Hakyeon.

“Morning!” He said.

Hakyeon looked different compared to last night. As if yesterday didn’t happen at all…

“Look at you! Sleepyhead as always.” Hakyeon approached Taekwoon and ruffled his bed hair.

“Morning…” Taekwoon stared at Hakyeon, still bewildered by the sudden change in attitude. The Hakyeon that he saw yesterday was no longer here, or was it just a dream?

“What’s wrong? Can’t get up?” He said as he clung onto Taekwoon’s arms.

“Just tired. Sorry.”

“I see. Are you getting old now?” Hakyeon giggled.

“You forgot, you’re a few months older than me.” Taekwoon tried to talk back.

“But I’ve got more energy than you do! You’re like a grandpa already!” The other was being playful with Taekwoon again.

Taekwoon was relieved to see the usual Cha Hakyeon but at the same time, he could not shake the image of the expressionless Hakyeon from last night. Where did he go?

“Sorry I’m late,” Taekwoon said again to Hakyeon, making sure he was able to emphasize how apologetic he was by breaking their promise to returning after a week.

“It’s okay. What matters is that you’re back.” Hakyeon held Taekwoon tightly. “Mhmm. What matters is that you’re back...” He said again as he muffled his voice next to Taekwoon.

After Taekwoon was able to get his body back to shape, the two of them made back for the time they lost. Everything was back to normal and Hakyeon seemed to be fine as well. Maybe the Hakyeon that Taekwoon saw that night was just a dream after all. He wasn’t sure but he kept a close eye on Hakyeon in case anything out of the ordinary happened again.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Just like all other days, Taekwoon and Hakyeon went around town to play and chat with the people in town. The town welcomed Taekwoon’s stay with them and really adored him. They offered him meals and discounts, gave him homemade crafts and more. The folks loved the handsome young man who seemed cold at first but were actually very kind and well-mannered. Especially to younger children and animals. Despite his usual poker face, whenever Taekwoon smiled, everyone felt as if their hearts were melting from the warmth he emitted. It was rare but it was definitely not impossible. Everyone loved Taekwoon and Taekwoon loved the people of Pinewoods.

“So where are we going to next?” Taekwoon asked Hakyeon. Curious about what his lover has planned for the two of them.

“Hmm? Just follow me.” Hakyeon took Taekwoon’s hands to make sure the latter followed.

Although Taekwoon was happy to wherever Hakyeon would take him, the sight that stood momentarily afterward, began to irritate him.

“Why are we here…” Taekwoon questioned.

“Hmm? Nothing. Just come.” Hakyeon did not give Taekwoon a proper answer and dragged him along.

They were at the mayor’s mansion, the one place Taekwoon did not like in Pinewoods. The only place he didn’t like because of her. Why did Hakyeon bring him here?

“Answer me Cha Hakyeon, why are we here?” Taekwoon was slowly becoming irritated at Hakyeon, who continued to remain silent.

They walked the halls until Hakyeon stopped in front of a certain door and knocked.

“Soo-ah, it’s me. Hakyeon. Can I come in?” He said.

“Come in.”

Hakyeon brought Taekwoon inside despite how reluctant he was to step through the doors.

“How are you doing?” Hakyeon asked her while she was busy staring out the windows.

“Okay…” she answered and didn’t seem to want to turn around.

“Soo-ah. I brought someone with me today,” Hakyeon forcefully pulled Taekwoon forward. What was Hakyeon thinking?

“Hmm? Who-,” she became shocked to see Taekwoon. She hasn’t seen him for so long yet spent days and days thinking endlessly about him. She broke down into tears and ran towards Taekwoon. She did not hold back and held him tightly.

Taekwoon did not like her touch. She was forceful and he didn’t like her. He tried to push her away but weakened when he realized the door closed behind him.

Hakyeon had left. Left Taekwoon with Soo-ah…