Chapter XII - Welcome to Pinewoods

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

ACT II

[CHAPTER XII]

Welcome to Pinewoods

 

 

Taekwoon finally set foot into the world of mortals. A world in which he was only allowed to imagine up until now. With Ravi’s help, he made the impossible, possible. He looked behind to make sure that he ended up where he was supposed to be. There was a door just like the one back in the Underworld and it seems like they have arrived inside a cave. There were scribbles of pictures and figures that resembled his own but much better drawn.

It must be Hakyeon’s drawings.

The two seems to have the same hobbies as in drawing everything that happened between them. Hakyeon drew figures that were like a diary all over the cave in memories of their past such as the first time they met or the first birthdays they had together. Taekwoon let out a small laugh thinking how alike he and Hakyeon were despite their contrasting personalities.

“Let’s head out,” Taekwoon directed Hyuk to follow.

The light almost blinded the two of them. It was the first time they saw such a radiant scenery. Everything was as if it was drawn straight from a painting. So much life and so much color that Taekwoon finally got to witness for the first time in his life. As he made his way through the woods, he saw what flowers looked like before they withered and animals that were happily playing around rather than gloomy, frightening creatures and sounds that were much more pleasant than cries. Taekwoon was bewildered by how different this place was compared to his own world even though it was just on the other side of the door.

Soon after he exited the woods, he was welcomed by the vivid blue skies and clouds that looked soft enough to touch. What strikes him the most was that as he looked up into the sky, the ‘sun’ blinded him.

This was the sun.

In the Underworld, only the moon was visible and just bright enough to light up the endless night skies. There were no mornings but in the mortal realm, not only did the moon existed but the sun as well. It was so radiant and bright yet warm at the same time. Taekwoon felt relaxed and absorbed by his surroundings. Before he got too enchanted by the picturesque landscape, Hyuk gave him a nudge to get back on track.

Right. Taekwoon didn’t come all the way here just to admire the scenery. He had to look for Hakyeon. According to his memories, Hakyeon mentioned living in a town not too far from the woods. He glanced left and right trying to make sense of the long road but not know which way to head for. He looked at Hyuk for advice.

Although Hyuk doesn’t know of Hakyeon’s scent, he had great instincts. Much better than his master’s and led the way. While Taekwoon continued to follow Hyuk, he couldn’t help but continue looking at the landscape to as far as the mountains. As they walked further along the path, Taekwoon could hear sounds of life from afar.

Humans.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Just as Taekwoon and Hyuk made their way closer to where all the noise came from, he saw a girl looking at the running stream. Taekwoon tried to ignore her and continued on his way but the moment she saw Taekwoon, she stopped him in his path.

“Excuse me? Please help me.” She asked.

Taekwoon looked at her and ignored her. He had no time to deal with other’s troubles. Just before he could walk off, she grabbed his arm by surprise and Taekwoon slapped her hands away and glared straight at her.

“What do you want?” Taekwoon annoyed at her actions. Do not touch me.

“Please. You have to help me. My cat is stuck there between the streams and it’s running too fast for me to help her. Please, you must help me.” The girl pleaded desperately while pointing in the direction of the stream.

Taekwoon let out a sigh. As much as he didn’t want to help her and just ignore it, the girl was being too persistent. To think, the young master of the Underworld, having to drench himself in a stream to rescue a mere cat…

As Taekwoon walked into the waters, he could feel the rapid currents pushing him downwards. He secretly cast a spell to control his balance so that he wouldn’t get casted off the running waters. He saw the cat curled up on a rock, scared for its life. As Taekwoon reached his arms out to help it, the cat hissed and scratched his hands. It was too afraid.

“It’s okay,” Taekwoon said in his softest voice trying to comfort it and reached his hands out again. Finally, the cat gave in enough for Taekwoon to hold it.

“Here.” Taekwoon handed the cat back to its rightful owner.

“Thank you so much!” she said and finally got a good look at Taekwoon in the eyes. She was enchanted by Taekwoon’s physical appearance. His dark abyss hair, pale white skin and his custom-tailor made clothing… he was definitely not a common folk. Before she could look at him once more, Taekwoon turned around and walked away.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

No longer being interrupted, Taekwoon and Hyuk finally saw a small town from the distance. Taekwoon remembered Hakyeon saying that the town was very close by and ran along the streams. He heard the crowd all the way from where he stood. They were so ‘alive.’ As Taekwoon made their way closer into the town, he saw people busily working and chatting with one another. He has never felt so much life in the Underworld. Everyone was so friendly towards one another, even towards an obvious stranger. This is the environment that Hakyeon grew up in.

It’s no wonder why he’s always so cheerful and energetic.

Taekwoon and Hyuk glanced around trying to make sense of it all. It was just so full of energy that he didn’t know how to absorb it all at once.

“Now where do you think we can find Hakyeon?”

Taekwoon had hurt his lifelong friend with words he didn’t mean to say. Ravi was right though, Taekwoon had to make amends and whether or not Hakyeon would forgive him is another story. He just wants to apologize to Hakyeon and he didn’t go through all that trouble getting to the human world for nothing.

Taekwoon decided it was useless to just stand around and brought his courage up to ask someone. He saw a merchant yelling from the top of his lungs trying to make the day’s sales. Taekwoon walked up to the man but didn’t know how to ask. He stood there dumbfounded in front of the stand while observing the man from top to bottom.

His nose…it’s unusually big, Taekwoon thought as his eyes kept staring at the man’s nose. The man caught Taekwoon looking at him.

“Can I help you, sir?” The man asked.

Taekwoon finally broke out from his daze.

“I… I’m looking for someone.”

“Oh? You don’t look like you’re from around here. Welcome to Pinewoods. Are you a traveler perhaps? Who are you looking for?”

“A friend.” At least Taekwoon still considers Hakyeon as a friend.

“Name?”

“… Hakyeon. Cha Hakyeon.”

“You know Hakyeonie? I didn’t think hyung had any friends aside from me. Especially outside of town. How did you two meet? What’s your name?” The man continued bombarding Taekwoon with questions and not allowing Taekwoon to answer him in time. This man called Hakyeon his friend, is that why he strangely resembles Hakyeon? This energetic and overly enthusiastic personality of his. Is everyone in this town like that?

“Do you know where I can find him?” Taekwoon interrupts the man’s endless blabbering.

“Of course I do! Everyone is talking about him in town right now. Anyways, he’s most likely at the mayor’s mansion up the hill to prepare for his wedding. I see. You must be here for his wedding, right?”

“What? Uh…” Taekwoon really didn’t like the word wedding. It gave him an obnoxious feeling.

“Seems like Hakyeon is in some sort of rush to get married or something. They were only talking about setting up a date for the wedding sometime next month but the other day, he raced into the mayor’s mansion asking to hold it earlier. He must have fallen deeply for the girl. Because of him, the town is in full panic mode and rushing to get preparations done in time. Gosh, what is he thinking?” The man crossed his arms and shook his head in disagreement.

Taekwoon panicked inside as soon as he heard the news. No, forget it Taekwoon. This isn’t what you came for. You only came here to apologize to Hakyeon. Nothing more and nothing less, as he tried to calm down.

“Thank you,” Taekwoon said.

“Anytime! We folks here have to help everyone we can. Especially travelers like you. You must be from the higher class though. Looking at the way you dress. Is that silk?”

“Huh? Um, no. Not really.”

“Haha. Don’t be so modest. You stand out a lot if you didn’t realize it yet.” The man leans in closer to whisper something to Taekwoon. “The folks are all staring at you. Anyways! I hope you have a good stay in town and if you need anything, you can find me up this street. My family runs an inn here in town and if you need a place to stay, don’t hesitate to come find me. The name is Lee Jaehwan.” Jaehwan waved Taekwoon farewell and Taekwoon walked off to look for the mayor’s mansion.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Taekwoon continued his way to the mayor’s mansion to be stopped by a large tall gate that blocked him in his path. He was able to see the mansion from where he stood and it was not as big as his own home. But he didn’t know how to get through the gates. He looked left and right to see if there were any guards to ask to get in but there wasn’t anyone around and the gates were locked tight.

“Oh? You’re the one from earlier, aren’t you? Thank you so much for helping my kitty.” The girl from before bowed to thank Taekwoon again. “I wouldn’t know what would happen if you didn’t pass by.”

Taekwoon didn’t bother with her. He was still troubled by how to get through to the other side.

“Um, are you looking for something? My father maybe?” The girl asked.

Taekwoon finally took notice of her.

“Your father?” He finally said.

“Yes, my father. He’s the mayor of this town. He’s a wonderful man.” She boasted. “You seem like you’re a traveler, do you need something from him perhaps?”

Her father. Taekwoon didn’t like where the conversation was going. As he could remember, Hakyeon mentioned that the mayor of this town had three daughters. Taekwoon instinctively became irritated looking at the girl.

She can’t be, he thought.

“Yes. I’m looking for him.” He lied.

“I see! Don’t worry. Let me invite you inside and allow me to thank you for helping me earlier. My name is Soo-ah by the way. Kwon Soo-ah. I’m the youngest daughter of the family. Nice to meet you.”

She is.