Chapter XIV - Coincidences?

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

[CHAPTER XIV]

Coincidences?

 

 

After seeing Hakyeon walk off safely into the distance, Taekwoon opened the door and walked inside the inn. The man at the counter jolted as the chimes from the door went off. He stood up to make sure he was presentable to the new customer that just walked in.

“Welcome to Starlight Inn. How may I help you, sir?”

“I’d like for a single room to stay in during my visit. Someone by the name of Lee Jaehwan introduced me to come here if I needed a place to stay.”

“Ah, you must be the traveler that Jaehwan was talking about earlier. Welcome. I’m his older brother, Jaeho. He said you might be dropping by so we had a room already reserved for you. Follow me please.”

How was Jaehwan so sure that Taekwoon was going to stay at the inn? They’ve only met not too long ago.

“Anyways, Jaehwan isn’t home right now so just make yourself comfortable instead. If you need anything, please don’t hesitate to ask me. Enjoy your stay.”

Taekwoon finally got a chance to plop onto a soft bed and relax. It had been such a long day today. So many things happened yet it still feels so unreal. But it’s all real. It wasn’t a dream like Taekwoon had feared. He was relieved at the thought and placed his hand across his chest thinking that his heart would calm down. But just thinking back at his meeting with Hakyeon only made it worst.

“He was really cute, wasn’t he? Just how I imagined him to be.” Taekwoon asking Hyuk.

Hyuk didn’t bother to reply to his love-struck master and jumped onto the sofa to rest.

“He’s really real.” Taekwoon chuckled a bit as he continued to talk to himself. “I’m glad he’s forgiven me though. I don’t know what I would do if he was still mad. To think, I finally got to meet him, talk to him face-to-face, and even … feel his touch.”

Taekwoon covered up his face that was burning from recalling those memories with Hakyeon and much more in love with him than before.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

The morning came and Taekwoon was awakened by the unfamiliar sounds that came from the window. The sounds of birds chirping cheerfully outside. The light from the rising sun pierced through the curtains and lit up the entire room. It took Taekwoon a few minutes to grasp back into the reality that he is currently in the human world. He sat up and stretched his body from a good night’s sleep. Hyuk woke up just right after.

“Good morning,” Taekwoon said. He has been craving to say it for a very long time. Mornings didn’t really exist in the Underworld and although they still say the usual greetings, it felt like night all the time. The sky was always dark no matter what hour of the day they were in.

As Taekwoon was getting ready and dressed up, someone knocked on the door.

“It’s Jaehwan. Are you awake yet?”

“Come in.”

“Morning! Sorry if I woke you up. How’s the sleep?”

“It’s good. Thank you.”

“By the way, I didn’t ask for your name yet.”

“It’s Taekwoon. Thank you for letting me stay here.”

“Haha, it’s not a problem. I had a feeling you would come to find me and I was right. Plus, you’re a friend of Hakyeonie’s so you’re a friend of mine as well!” Jaehwan let out a bright and welcoming smile.

“I see.” Taekwoon felt Jaehwan was being sincere and humble. Energetic as well just like Hakyeon.

Jaehwan invited Taekwoon downstairs for breakfast along with his two older brothers.

“This is Jaeho, you met him last night I believe. And over there preparing more food is Jaegwan.” Jaehwan introducing his brothers to Taekwoon. They didn’t have a big nose like Jaehwan though…

“So, how did you and Hakyeon become friends? I don’t think he’s ever left town before.”

“It’s… just a lucky coincidence. There’s nothing much to it.” Taekwoon didn’t want to be asked any further about something he didn’t know how to lie about. “What about you? How did you and Hakyeon become friends?” He said trying to change the subject.

“Haha. Long story but the kids around here love to pick on Hakyeon because he’s just so over-friendly with everyone. You know how he is. Anyways, sometimes they get too out of line like joking about his skin and all. Hakyeon doesn’t say it but he’s always feeling hurt when someone makes fun of his physical appearances. I admit I used to pick on him just as much since he looked as if nothing could hurt him. Then one day, I found him hiding in the alley and crying to himself. He felt really hurt by all the teasing and I guess, I couldn’t find it in myself to anymore. After that, we just became friends. I’m a big softy for cry-babies.” Jaehwan joked.

“I see.” Taekwoon was somewhat relieved to hear that there was someone like Jaehwan by Hakyeon’s side in the human world after all. Even though Hakyeon never mentioned about Jaehwan before, Taekwoon felt the boy can be trusted. Maybe Hakyeon might have felt it unnecessary to talk about Jaehwan in front of Taekwoon because they didn’t think they would ever meet.

“So what are your plans during your stay? Are you going to attend Hakyeon’s wedding?” Jaehwan asked, catching Taekwoon off-guard.

“Huh? I’m not sure yet.”

Right, the wedding…

“I see. Well, I’m sure Hakyeon would like it if you went. Seems like you’re really close to him.”

Of course, Hakyeon would be happy, even Taekwoon knows that for a fact. But they fought and he hurt Hakyeon’s feelings over this matter so he wanted to put his mind aside from it for the time being.

“Are you doing anything after this? I can show you around town since it’s my day off from looking after the store.”

“I appreciate it very much. Thank you.” Taekwoon accepted Jaehwan’s offer.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Jaehwan took Taekwoon and Hyuk all around town and showed him the landmarks that made the town as important as it is today. He told them stories and history of this town and how it grew from a small farmer’s settlement to the upscaled town that it came to be. 

Jaehwan also told Taekwoon that his parents left town in order to find jobs far away and only his brothers were staying here with him. Taekwoon sympathized with Jaehwan but at the same time happy that his two brothers cared about him so much.

“Um, where’s the bakery? The one that belongs to Hakyeon’s family?” Taekwoon finally asked during their rest.

“Ah right. I totally forgot about that. Sorry to be dragging you all over the place. I’ll take you there right now. I’m sure you and Hakyeon have a lot to catch up to still.”

“Well, we’re here! Vóila!” Jaehwan finally brought them to Hakyeon’s shop.

It was a small little bakery but it was warm and cozy. It emitted a very sweet yet pleasing smell even from standing outside.

“Good afternoon. Is Hakyeon-hyung around?” Jaehwan asked one of the workers there.

“No. He just left. He said he was going to meet someone. Do you want to wait for him here?”

“Could he have gone to meet you?” Jaehwan turned around to ask Taekwoon.

“How long did he leave for just now?” Taekwoon asked the worker.

“About five minutes ago.”

“Sorry, Jaehwan. I’ll talk to you later. I’m going to see if I can catch up with Hakyeon. Thanks for showing me around again,” and Taekwoon dashed outside.

Although Taekwoon was still unfamiliar with the town and slightly frightened by the crowds of people that swarmed around him, he desperately wanted to catch up with his friend. He looked all around but couldn’t seem to find Hakyeon though. Them, Hyuk barked to the front and told Taekwoon to follow him. Moments later, Taekwoon saw Hakyeon’s back from afar and called out to him with the loudest voice he could pull.

“Hakyeon-ah!”

Hakyeon turned back by surprise at his name being called out so loudly.

“Taekwoonie! I was just about to go find you. Why are you here?” Hakyeon replied while running back to meet up with Taekwoon.

The two was already out of breath trying to catch up with one another. They stood in front of each other and silently glanced at one another without saying a word.

“Jaehwan took me out to show me around. I was just at your bakery and they told me you left to go find someone. I guess that someone was me?” Taekwoon finally said.

“Mhmm. I didn’t think you’d be up so early though? Aren’t you tired from yesterday?”

“I was but I couldn’t sleep long. Too excited I guess?” Taekwoon smiled at Hakyeon trying to hint to his friend that the reason he couldn’t sleep was because of him.

Hakyeon knew exactly what that smile meant and blushed a bit.

“You’re really sly, you know that? That smile… anyways, do you have anything else planned for the day? Let’s hang out! It’ll be my turn to show you around this time.” Hakyeon winked at Taekwoon causing Taekwoon to burst out a chuckle. It’s been a while since Taekwoon had smiled this much.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

 “Honestly though. I still can’t believe it. Jung Taekwoon. You’re really here. Here, next to me. Talking to me. I almost thought I was dreaming last night,” Hakyeon said as the two found a spot under the tree and sat down in front of the riverbank to rest.

“I’m real,” Taekwoon assuring Hakyeon and took his hands. “See? I’m real.”

“And cold! Your hands are cold you know that?”

“Sorry.” Taekwoon flinched and took his hands away.

“But that only means your heart is warm!” Hakyeon responded and grabbed Taekwoon’s hands again as if telling him that it’s okay. “That’s what my mom always tells me. Someone with cold hands must have a warm heart. Especially you, Taekwoonie. That’s why… when you said those things… I was really hurt but at the same time I knew you probably didn’t mean it.”

“I’m sorry Hakyeon. I…”

“It’s okay now. Don’t worry about it.” Hakyeon stopped Taekwoon from speaking at further.

He knew that Taekwoon felt guilty for what he said.

“I was just afraid of being told the truth. I didn’t want to admit it. The things you said, they weren’t entirely untrue. I know that. But somehow hearing that from someone else just made me more upset and I ran away. I wanted to go back to the base several times to find you but I was just too afraid to do so and I just…” Taekwoon could see his friend’s eyes beginning to water.

Taekwoon pulled Hakyeon in for a hug to comfort his friend.

“It’s okay Hakyeon-ah. We both made mistakes and we know it now. We’re here together and that’s all that matters right?”

Hakyeon nodded nonstop.

“Mhmm!” Hakyeon responded as he wiped his tears on Taekwoon’s shoulders.

“Now stop crying. Your eyes are turning red.”

“How long will you be staying here for?” Hakyeon asked Taekwoon as he continued drying his tears.

“I’m not sure. How long do you want me to be here for?”

“I don’t know… but to be honest, I would like it if you stay here forever but that’s not possible, right? You have your own home and life to go back to…” Hakyeon looked desperately into Taekwoon’s eyes.

“You want me here forever?” Taekwoon didn’t mind. His whole life has been revolving around the boy, Cha Hakyeon, so much that as long as his friend wanted him to, he was willing to stay.

“Can’t you?”

Taekwoon responded with a hesitating nod. “I’ll try my best.”

Deep down, Taekwoon knew that forever might not happen. He was a God and Hakyeon was a human. He wasn’t sure if Hakyeon’s forever was the same as his. However, at the moment, only the present mattered.

The two of them sat under the warm sun and talked so much without knowing when to stop. As usual, Hakyeon would talk the most and Taekwoon would quietly listen to his chattering friend but it felt so different compared to when they met at their secret base. Because this time, they were talking while facing each other, not a door.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

After a long while, the two got hungry and Hakyeon invited Taekwoon back to his home to have dinner with him and his family. Taekwoon was delighted to meet the Chas and followed along.

“I’m home!” Hakyeon shouted. “Come in Taekwoonie. I’ll introduce you to my family. They’re going to be so happy to finally meet you.”

“Welcome home dear. How was your day?” An older woman came walking slowly down the stairs to greet them.

“Good mom! I brought a guest home! Mom, this is Taekwoon. The one I always talk about. Taekwoonie, this is my mom.” Hakyeon introduced the two of them to each other.

“Hello, I’m Hakyeon’s mom, it’s nice to me-,” She stopped as she took a good look at Taekwoon’s face. She was shocked for some reason and lost her balance.

“Mom!” Hakyeon ran up to assist her. Taekwoon went to help her out as well.

What’s wrong? He thought. Why did she look so shocked seeing me?

“I’m okay dear. Sorry.” Hakyeon’s mom reassured the two worried boys and looked at Taekwoon once more.

She held Taekwoon’s hands to balance herself up again.

“I’m sorry, I’m Hakyeon’s mother. It’s nice to meet you.” She said as she got back up. She was acting differently compared to just now.

Much calmer.

“Gosh, you worry me so much, mom! You just got a little better to be walking around you know.”

“I know. I’m sorry to have scared you.” Hakyeon’s mother hugged her son to make him feel better.

“Anyways, Taekwoon, go and sit down with my mom while I grab us some food. I’m starving!” Hakyeon walked off leaving the two of them alone in the living room.

Taekwoon felt slightly awkward not knowing how to start a conversation with Hakyeon’s mother, who looked so pale and fragile.

“Hakyeon has told me a lot about you. But he said that it was impossible for the two of you to meet. So how did you manage to get here?”

Taekwoon was slightly annoyed at being as the same question from several different people since yesterday.

“I just took a long time to travel here. That’s all.”

“I see…” Hakyeon’s mother responded as if she didn’t really buy into Taekwoon’s little lie.

“Anyways, I hope you will enjoy your stay here for the time being. Just make yourself feel at home. Hakyeon came home last night talking about you. He was very happy. Not too long ago, he was feeling very down and wouldn’t talk to any of us. We were all very worried. I’m glad that you came.”

“I’m sorry ma’am. I think that might have been my fault but Hakyeon and I talked it out and cleared our misunderstandings.” He reassured her.

“That’s great to hear.”

Their conversation came to a stop and didn’t know what else to talk about. Taekwoon has never had a long conversation with an adult before so he really didn’t know what more to say. As the two continued to wait for Hakyeon’s return, they sat quietly at their spots. But Taekwoon could feel Hakyeon’s mother stealing glances at him when he wasn’t looking. As if she was trying to make sense of something about him but didn’t know why. Was it because of the way he looked? The way he dressed? He tried to avoid her stares.

“I’m back!” Hakyeon came back just in time before Taekwoon falls deeper into awkwardness. “Look who’s here as well!”

Hakyeon moved aside to let someone else inside the room. It was Soo-ah.

“Good evening, Mrs. Cha. How are you feeling today?” She asked.

“Wonderful. Thank you, my dear. The doctor your father introduced me has helped me out a lot. Please tell your father thank you.”

“That’s no problem. I’m just glad to see you doing better.” Soo-ah said as she made her way to Hakyeon’s mother’s side and sat down. She looked at Taekwoon finally as if she didn’t see him the first time. “It’s nice to meet you again. Taekwoon right? Hakyeon told me that you will be staying in town for a bit.”

Taekwoon nodded slightly in response. He didn’t want to ignore her and appear rude in front of Hakyeon and his mother.

“So has your father decided on the day for you two’s wedding?” Hakyeon’s mother brought up the topic that Taekwoon wish he wasn’t here to listen for.

“Huh? Oh no, not yet ma’am. He’s still deciding, I think,” Soo-ah answered in surprised as she was obviously too absorbed at looking at Taekwoon.

“Well, I hope soon. After all, our Hakyeon here has finally agreed to this marriage. Right?”

“What? Um…” Hakyeon was also lost in own thoughts. “About that mom… can we just hold it off until another month or so? I was just out of my mind the other day. I don’t think I’m ready for it just yet.”

Taekwoon was slightly relieved to hear Hakyeon’s response.

“Are you worried about something?” Hakyeon’s mother asked. “We can’t make Soo-ah here wait for you forever you know.”

“I don’t mind. Hakyeon is wonderful.” Soo-ah answered with the brightest smile she could pull off.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.” She nodded.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

After supper, Soo-ah left first to head home before it gets too dark. Hakyeon’s mother suggested that Hakyeon should take her home but Soo-ah politely refused and said that she would be okay.

It was getting late and Hakyeon’s mother also decided to head back to her bedroom to rest. Hakyeon’s father also came back home and greeted Taekwoon on his way. The two didn’t talk much as he was too tired from the day’s work and promised to talk more with Taekwoon another time.

Taekwoon also thought that it was time to head back to the inn but was stopped by Hakyeon blocking his path.

“Can’t you stay here tonight? Just one night?” Hakyeon asked.

“But… your family.” Taekwoon was unsure.

“It’s okay. Don’t worry about it too much! I’m sure they don’t mind. They seem to really like you. Please? Just one night? I want to talk to you still. About so much more. I…” Hakyeon fell silent.

“What’s wrong?” Taekwoon became worried at the way Hakyeon looked.

“I’m just… afraid still. Like, what if you’re gone by the time morning comes after you leave here?”

“Huh? Why do you say that?”

“It’s just… I had a dream before. A really scary one. One I don’t want to have any more. I didn’t know what it meant at first but when I saw you, it all made sense.”

“A dream?”

“Mhmm. It was really scary. I was walking and then running down a long black corridor. I couldn’t see anything up ahead and then I saw the back of a person. He was walking away from me even though I tried to call out to him and chase after him. But I couldn’t reach.” Hakyeon grabbed Taekwoon’s arms tightly as he spoke. “I’m afraid that that person is you. That you would be out of my reach, again.”

That dream sounded awfully familiar. A nightmare to be exact. Similar to the one Taekwoon had before. Was this just a coincidence? Or did it mean something more?

 

 

A/N

 Cover image was inspired from Dynamite MV during Hongbin's solo shots ~

When will Hongbin appear? ~ Who knows ㅋㅋㅋ