Chapter XXI - Promise

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

[CHAPTER XXI]

Promise

 

 

After being interrupted on his way, Hakyeon finally made it to Jaehwan’s place.

As he went in, he heard the Lee brothers all laughing away happily. He peeked in the living room and saw Taekwoon sitting amongst them. Just the sight of his ‘boyfriend’ made him feel like having butterflies in his stomach. He’s never felt this way before. So in love yet so nervous.

Taekwoon caught sight of Hakyeon peeking by the door and couldn’t help let out a smile.

“Morning Hakyeon-ah,’”Taekwoon greeted him with a smile along with his mesmerizing voice. It’s as if it has the ability to pull you right in.

“Oh! Hakyeonie is here too!” The brothers all cheered loudly.

“Why are you guys so happy? What are you guys talking about?”

“Nothing much~,” Jaehwan said while grinning.

“What?” Hakyeon was dying from the curiosity.

“They were just telling me stories about you,” Taekwoon told him.

“What?!! What did you guys say about me? Don’t you dare tell him any lies!” Hakyeon ran up to them and hoping they didn’t say anything that could embarrass him in front of his lover.

“Nothing. Really.” Jaehwan said again. “It’s not like Taekwoon doesn’t already know you wet your bed even after you turned fifteen and cried all night long after getting caught.” He giggled.

Hakyeon was so embarrassed. He pulled Taekwoon away so that the brothers couldn’t tell any more embarrassing stories about him to Taekwoon.

“Don’t get too upset with them. They were only telling me things about you because I asked. Sorry.”

“Why are you sorry? If… you want to know more about me, just ask me instead!” Hakyeon clapped his hands onto Taekwoon’s face and brought it up close to him without realizing. He was embarrassed right afterward when he finally realized how close their faces were together.

“I understand. I’ll ask you instead next time.” Taekwoon pulled Hakyeon to the corner and looked around to see if anyone was around. He hugged Hakyeon and gave him a peck on the forehead when he saw that they were alone.

“You’re… seriously a flirt you know that?” Hakyeon nudged Taekwoon. He didn’t dislike Taekwoon’s affection for him though. He felt loved. “By the way, I have good news. Although it’s not confirmed yet, Soo-ah told her dad that she didn’t want to get married. Something about her falling in love with someone else. Isn’t that great? I was so worried about how to reject her after all.”

“Mhmm.” Taekwoon was happy to hear that but who did Soo-ah fall for? Whatever, it’s not like I care, he told himself.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

It’s been a few months since Taekwoon had left the Underworld to be with Hakyeon. Their relationship has been going so smoothly and every day was as happy as the day before. Hakyeon’s wedding plans were also canceled by the mayor because Soo-ah was rebelling against her father and he couldn’t figure out what to do. The mayor had also been very grumpy since his daughter refused to marry Hakyeon but he had troubles of his own so he had no time to vent his frustrations out on Hakyeon like he usually did. He left Hakyeon alone and the words about the marriage being canceled traveled fast. This affected the man’s influence and status in town, so he was busy trying to make things go back to normal. If only his two older daughters didn’t get married at an early age and had already left the town, he would’ve made Hakyeon marry one of the other two instead. Fortunately, that couldn’t happen.

Although everything had been sailing smoothly and didn’t want to think about anything that could affect his mood, he knew very well that happiness may not last forever. If only he had an eternity, then he could be with Hakyeon until the end of time.

Even though Taekwoon has only been in the human world for a few months, he felt the effects of the human world affecting him. Just like Hakyeon’s mother had warned him initially. Even with his powers from the Underworld and the Moon watching over him, he felt the symptoms slowly kicking in. Sometimes he would have fevers at night and be better by the morning but humanly illnesses never affected him when he lived in the Underworld. Cuts and bruises also started to heal rather slowly unlike before. Hakyeon was also worried about him whenever those incidents happened but Taekwoon tried his best to cover up the truth behind his fevers. How could he tell Hakyeon that he was getting sick just by staying by his lover’s side?

“I heard you’ve been getting fevers again,” Hakyeon’s mother asked Taekwoon during his visit while Hakyeon went out to run an errand.

Taekwoon nodded.

“I told you already that this would happen but you wouldn’t listen to me. As happy as I am seeing how happy my son has been since you’ve come here, the one who is suffering is you.”

“I’m fine,” Taekwoon trying to persuade her. “I’ll be fine.”

“But you’re not. You can’t hide that from me you know that. In fact, it seems like this is affecting you much faster than I had thought. It took me years after I got married to Hakyeon’s father to become this sick. Why is it having such a huge impact on you instead? Is it because you’re from the royalties?”

“I’m not sure either. I wish I knew.”

Hakyeon’s mother went silent as if she was trying to come up with an answer for Taekwoon. Initially, she was very against Taekwoon staying at the human world for his sake but seeing that her son and Taekwoon’s relationship, she couldn’t find it in her heart to split them apart. She came to the conclusion that she would care for Taekwoon as if he was her second son, especially after Taekwoon told her his true identity. True, she was shocked at first but since the first time she had met Taekwoon, she could sense that he wasn’t just any ordinary God from the Underworld.

“You’ve mentioned before that the one who helped sent you here was a powerful witch that you met in the Underworld right?”

“You mean Ravi?”

“Do you think that he can help you? Maybe with his extensive expertise on sorcery and witchcraft, he might have the solution to slow down the symptoms.”

“But how? I’ve lost contact with him since I came here. I don’t know how to reach him.”

“Hmmm… Wait here.” Hakyeon’s mother went into her room to search for something.

Moments later, she returned with a small handheld mirror in her hands.

“What’s that?” Taekwoon asked her.

“I stored this away for a very long time since I no longer had the use for it and totally forgot about it. But this is a device that can connect you with anyone in the Underworld. You can use this to find the witch and tell him your situation. You have to use it wisely though. It doesn’t always work especially if your powers are weakening.”

“How does it work?”

“Just hold onto it and channel your powers to the mirror. I’ve lost my powers long ago so I can no longer activate it but you should still have enough to use it.”

She handed the mirror to Taekwoon and he held it with his hands. After a while, the mirror finally reacted to Taekwoon’s powers and showed a rather, familiar landscape. It was an image that looked down on the entirety of the Underworld. It had been so long since Taekwoon saw his home. He had nearly forgotten how it looked like.

“Now try to imagine where you may find this witch. Concentrate.” She taught him.

Taekwoon closed his eyes tightly and imagined where his mansion was located. After the mirror found the mansion in the Underworld, he imaged going inside and through the long corridors, room by room, trying to look for Ravi. Soon, he came upon Ravi’s lab. He went inside and saw the witch’s back. It’s been such a long time. Although he didn’t know Ravi for a long time, the two had worked hard together and he’s been helped by Ravi time after time. To think, he would have to ask Ravi for help again. He felt apologetic but there was no other choice.

“Ravi-ah,” Taekwoon called out through the mirror.

Ravi was too absorbed in his experiment to hear anything. He didn’t respond so Taekwoon called out even louder.

“Kim Wonshik!” He yelled.

Ravi jolted at hearing his real name. There’s only one person he told about his real name. He turned around and an image of Taekwoon appeared before him.

“What the- How? What’s going on?” He questioned. “Why is … your face here? Aren’t you supposed to be in the human world?”

“I am still. Anyways, long story…” Taekwoon told him.

Without wasting any time at all, Taekwoon told Ravi about what had happened for the past few months and Ravi was shocked to hear that Taekwoon was also affected by the human illnesses that would’ve never affected any immortals if they had just stayed put in the Heavens or Underworld.

“I knew this would happen to you eventually but seriously, I didn’t think it would happen so quickly. I’ve been working on a remedy to help you when it does take effect but I haven’t found the solution especially when the symptoms are showing so rapidly.”

Taekwoon thought, not only is Kim Wonshik a witch, an ex-God, descendant of the God of the Sun, but a doctor as well? He was impressed. Ravi had been thinking about helping Taekwoon even after he had left the Underworld. Why did he go to such extent to someone like him? Taekwoon has never met someone as kind as Ravi besides Hakyeon or even Jaehwan. He appreciated everything Ravi was doing for him.

“Thanks. Really.” Taekwoon said.

“No need. Just stay healthy. You and Cha Hakyeon just got together after so many years. I’m happy for you. I wouldn’t wish for anything bad to happen to neither of you. Have you thought about telling him your identity though? Maybe if you told him what’s happening to you, you can bring him to live with you here in the Underworld instead?”

Taekwoon did think about that at first but Hakyeon’s mother would never allow it. She knew how dark and evil the Underworld was and if Taekwoon brought her only son to such a place, she would be furious. Taekwoon couldn’t take any chances especially after how much she had cared for him.

“There’s no other way huh? What about… coming back and forth to the Underworld from the human world to replenish your powers? If you stay with the mortals for too long, you get sick easier and your powers weaken right? But if you could travel between the worlds, maybe you won’t get sick as often?” Ravi suggested.

Going between the worlds? That was definitely a good idea. Taekwoon didn’t think it was possible though.

“But how? The portal has been sealed hasn’t it?” Taekwoon asked.

“Give me time. I’ll try to open the portal again for you and when the time comes, you can just step in it like you did when you first went to the human world. Okay?”

It was the only way. But how would he explain to Hakyeon when he has to leave for the Underworld, even if it’s for a few days or a week? Hakyeon still believed in Taekwoon’s lie about his long travels to get to Pinewoods after all. Plus, just spending enough time with Hakyeon, he realized the latter was very clingy to him. Wherever Taekwoon went, Hakyeon would question and follow.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Like always, Hakyeon would go find Taekwoon to hang out when he didn’t have to help out at the bakery. Somehow, even though the two saw each other nearly every single day, he never got tired of it. It’s as if he no longer knew how to separate himself from his friend and lover.

He had been worried about Taekwoon a lot lately too. He had never thought Taekwoon would have such a weak immune system. There would be times when Taekwoon couldn’t get out of bed because of his fevers or headaches. Hakyeon wanted to help him but didn’t know anything about nursing Taekwoon. He realized how his father must’ve felt when his mother fell ill. Although his mother’s conditions didn’t seem to be getting any better either.

The first thing Hakyeon did after finishing his breakfast was rushing to where Taekwoon was staying. He thought that Taekwoon would be glad to see him as usual but when he saw him, Taekwoon’s face was paler than usual. Was he getting sick again?

“Are you not feeling well?” Hakyeon asked.

“I’m fine.” Taekwoon patted Hakyeon on the head to comfort him.

“But you look pale. Should I make something comfy for you to eat?” Hakyeon offered.

“I’m okay. Don’t worry too much about it. Hakyeon-ah, I need to tell you something.” Taekwoon said in a serious tone despite his lack of energy.

“What is it?”

“I need to return home for a week or so. There’s something I need to do…”

“Huh? Why?! Didn’t you say you left home for good? You said you’d be living here with me.”

“Hakyeon-ah, please. It’s not like I’m never coming back. You worry too much about it. There’s no way I can leave you. It’s just… there are matters that I need to attend to. Okay? Please.”

“But… what if I go with you too? I’ve always wanted to visit your home. You never talk about it.”

“No. It’s alright. I have to go by myself. I’m sorry, okay? Please understand.” Taekwoon pleaded him.

Hakyeon didn’t talk for a while and was obviously sulking. But seeing Taekwoon asking him a favor, which he never did, he couldn’t refuse.

“Fine. But you better return! If you don’t… I’m going to hate you forever. This time for real!”

Taekwoon nodded.

“I’ll return. Promise.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”