Chapter XXXVII – Hello Again

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

[ Chapter XXXVII ]

Hello Again

 

 

The Hyuk that Hakyeon remembers was clearly the name of the dog that followed Taekwoon around no matter where his master had gone.

However, the tall boy who was standing in front of him at the moment also introduced himself with the same name.

“Hyuk?”

“Mhmm. Hyuk.”

Hakyeon looked at the boy dumbfounded, still not knowing how to make sense of the strange introduction.

“Don’t tell me you’ve already forgotten about me. You only remember my master and not me? I thought I was important too. At least to the point that you kept calling me ‘Hyogi’ even though I didn’t like it…”

“But… the ‘Hyuk’ that I know of… is a dog. A black and caramel-colored Doberman.”

“Oh right! I forgot. Oops. Guess I’m too used to this form that I totally forgot. One second.”

Immediately, Hyuk cast a spell around himself and transformed into the dog that Hakyeon remembers but much bigger and no longer a child. The boy really was Hyuk.

“But how?” Hakyeon was surprised.

“We guardians usually have two different forms, one of an animal and another of a God. But only high-level guardians can obtain both forms. So, how do I look?” Hyuk asked while he transformed back and forth between his two forms.

“You’re… tall and handsome.” Hakyeon looked up at the boy’s height. Quite envious of it.

Hakyeon couldn’t stop staring at Hyuk and his old memories with him and Taekwoon started to rush back into his mind. Hyuk was a small puppy the first time Hakyeon heard his call. If it wasn’t for Hyuk’s barking, Hakyeon wouldn’t have noticed that there was someone on the other side of the door. When he met Hyuk for the first time, he was delighted to see how cute the pup was and immediately thought of a nickname for him.

“Hyogi.”

Even as a puppy, Hakyeon could tell that Hyuk didn’t like the nickname but he also couldn’t resist calling him that because he thought it suited him too well. Hyuk was quite quiet as a puppy but he was also very courageous and obedient. He listened well to Hakyeon and especially his master, Taekwoon. He did his absolute best at staying quietly by his master’s side at all times and protecting him.

When Hakyeon first received the job as Hongbin’s bodyguard, he sometimes thought back at Hyuk’s role as Taekwoon’s guard dog. He wanted to perform his position just as greatly as Hyuk did.

As Hyuk led Hakyeon down to the Tower, a magical spell was aimed at Hyuk. Hyuk dodged immediately but separated him from Hakyeon.

“Get away from him!” Hongbin came yelling and trying to protect Hakyeon from the unfamiliar face.

“Wait wait! Stop Hongbin-ah! I know him!” Hakyeon said.

“Huh?”

“Nice to meet you too. You must be the hot-headed Hongbin that Ravi told me about.” Hyuk said while chuckling away.

“Wait. You talked with Ravi?” Hakyeon asked.

“Mhmm. We’ve been in touch for a while since the both of you arrived in the Underworld. He told me he found two mortals wandering around the Forest of Nightmares that came from the direction of the secret base. I was surprised. But more surprisingly, even Jaehwan came with you two as well as him being a God. Ah! But even crazier is the fact that you’re a Demigod! Who would’ve thought…” Hyuk sarcastically shook his head in disbelief.

Apparently, Ravi and Hyuk have been secretly keeping in touch for a while and trying not to get caught by Taekwoon in the process. After all, Ravi had failed to persuade Taekwoon and Hyuk saw the consequences of defying the Ruler of the Underworld. Hyuk knew that he had to keep quiet and watch over Taekwoon in order to report back to Ravi. They both had a common goal and that was to bring the old Taekwoon back.

“Why didn’t Ravi tell us that he was keeping in touch with you all this time?” Hakyeon questioned.

“He’s got a bit of a trust issue on top of being a total paranoid. So he wasn't sure whether he could trust you or not especially after what happened between you and my master.”

“I see…”

“I see? Can you two please stop ignoring me here and tell me who this kid is?” Hongbin interrupted.

“Oh. Right. You two haven’t met before right? Hongbin-ah, this is Hyuk. He’s Taekwoon’s guard dog.”

“What?” Hongbin looked at Hyuk, the one who looked nothing like a dog.

Action spoke more than words and Hyuk transformed into his other form to answer Hongbin’s questionable facial expression. Hongbin was rather surprised at Hyuk’s transformation and immediately ran behind Hakyeon, hiding.

“There’s nothing to be afraid of, com’on Kong-ah,” Hakyeon laughed.

Hongbin shook his head.

“I’m… not good with dogs.” He said.

“I see,” Hyuk transformed back so that Hongbin wouldn’t be so scared of him. Although Hongbin calmed down a bit, he was still wary about Hyuk’s presence.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

The three went back to the cottage and reunited with Jaehwan and Ravi.

“It’s been a while since I’ve been here,” Hyuk said as he welcomed himself into Ravi’s home.

“It’s been a while since I’ve seen you as well. Seems like you’re doing good for yourself,” Ravi heard the door open to see Hyuk came in.

The two were glad to see one another and friendly hugged one another for their reunion.

“Mhmm. How’s Jaehwan? I heard he’s now a mortal.”

“Don’t worry about me. To think that our little Hyogi has grown to be such a fine young man. I’m almost too proud.” Jaehwan walked into the room to see the party gathering in the living room. He sobbed sarcastically at the sight of a well-grown Hyuk and acted like a proud mother watching his precious son grow to be so fine.

“Dammit. Go back to sleep. You’re still running a fever!” Ravi demanded.

“I said I’m fine. If I stay in bed any longer, I’ll go insane!” Jaehwan whined. “So were you able to find Soo-ah?”

Hakyeon nodded but had a disappointing expression.

“What happened?” Ravi asked.

“I was too late. She was already possessed by the darkness.” Hakyeon replied.

“She was already lost since the day she had arrived here in the Underworld. She wasn’t conscious of her own greed for my master’s love and it made her vulnerable to the darkness. When she was trapped in the Tower, it made her lose her mind and death had possessed her.” Hyuk said.

“If that’s so, why didn’t you just bring her back here when you can?” Hongbin asked.

“That’s easy for you to say. If I freed her, my master would be furious! He’s really scary when he’s mad. We all know what happened to Ravi here when he tried to persuade my master right? And also, it was too late the moment we found out that she had already been possessed. The one who took over both her body and mind was one of the Goddesses of the Dead. She’s too powerful now with only hatred in her mind. If I brought Soo-ah back to the mortal realm while she was possessed, the Goddess of the Dead would definitely try to bring chaos to your world as well.”

“The Goddesses of the Dead? Like Taekwoon?” Hakyeon asked.

“No, not really. My master is called the God of the Dead but in reality, he only rules the Underworld as one of the most powerful Gods that reside here. The true Gods of the Dead are ones that wield the power to control one’s death and birth. They manipulate the fate of others and also tries to possess the innocent to bring chaos and destruction to everything around them. They like to lurk from one empty vessel to another and never really stays in a single body for too long after they’ve had their fun.”

“What happens when they finish?”

“They will abandon that vessel to find a new one of course. They get bored quite easily.”

“Huh?”

“It also means that once the Gods of the Dead abandons their vessels, that same vessel would cease to exist, nor would they be allowed to reincarnate or return to who they were before. They either get disintegrated into nothingness. Lost forever.”

“Then… Soo-ah will…” Hakyeon gulped, unable to continue his words.

“Unfortunately, we cannot help her anymore. It’s already too late.”

Hakyeon could not believe it. He was too late. The possessed Soo-ah meant that she was nothing but an empty vessel, a nobody waiting to be abandoned.

Hakyeon felt even worst about himself now that he thought that the reason why Soo-ah had been taken away in the first place was that of his hesitations and inability to keep Taekwoon. If only he wasn’t so cowardly or insecure, none of this would have ever happened. Because of his foolishness, everyone around him was getting hurt as a consequence.

Ever since Soo-ah was taken to the Underworld, she was scared of Taekwoon’s true identity. She was horrified at the dreadful landscape and creepy surroundings that she was forced to live in. She begged and cried to be released, to go home and see her father as well as the people she cared for the most. When she saw how indifferent Taekwoon was treating her, she started to suspect his actions in taking her here in the first place. Eventually, she found out that the one Taekwoon truly cared for and loved was Hakyeon, her ex-fiancé, and friend. She felt tricked and betrayed by the both of them and started to get angrier day and night thinking about the hatred she was feeling inside. Her thoughts became her grudge, and that made her the perfect target to be possessed by the darkness, the Goddess of the Dead.

The perfect vessel born from greed and vengeance.

 

 

Hyuk comes to the cottage more often after reuniting with Hakyeon, Jaehwan, and Ravi as well as his newly acquainted friend, Hongbin. Hongbin was still skeptical around Hyuk but Hyuk didn’t mind it. He thought it was quite interesting.

Hyuk became Hakyeon’s new trainer as well in replacement for Jaehwan, who no longer had the power to help Hakyeon. His master also didn’t seem to notice that his guardian has been leaving the mansion on a daily basis to go somewhere else.

Hyuk was strong indeed. He wasn’t just any hellhound descendent, but one of the strongest now in the Underworld. One of the strongest guardians to have existed after many centuries. It could have been his master’s influence that he was able to change and grow so much in just a matter of five years. He was determined to help his master return to normal. He’s grown up alongside Taekwoon and watching the change in his master frightened yet saddened Hyuk a lot.

With Ravi no longer being in the mansion either, Hyuk was the only one who was able to watch over his master, making sure his master didn’t act irrationally or harm himself from his negative thoughts. Hyuk knew that he should not say a word that could anger his master and instead, watched over him. While guarding his master during the day, he would secretly train on his own by night. Eventually, he was strong enough to be one of the best guardians to have ever existed in the Underworld. Of course, his powers were still no match for the Ruler himself. The wrath inside of Taekwoon’s heart was just too much for anyone to handle and that allowed him to gain a tremendous amount of power that no one could defy.

Hyuk thought that he had lost all hopes of persuading or making his master go back to normal until one day, Ravi sent him a message saying that Hakyeon had come to the Underworld.

Hyuk did not hate Hakyeon as his master did. In fact, he had already suspected that Hakyeon wasn’t being himself when he said he wanted to break up with his master and going back to friends like before. Hyuk was a quiet observer and there would be times when he was left to stay by Hakyeon’s side to watch over the boy. By quietly observing Hakyeon, he saw a different side of the boy he didn’t think he would witness. A sad, fragile boy who would shatter into a million pieces from his own insecurities and self-hatred. He wasn’t able to communicate with what he saw to his master when he was younger and it was already too late before he could do anything.

Hyuk has always wondered why his master and Hakyeon could be friends despite such opposing personalities the two had. However, by seeing Hakyeon’s other side, he felt a strangely familiar feeling in which the boy resembled his master quite a lot. Both his master and Hakyeon were lights that shined on their own, even brighter when they’re together but when unnoticed, their lights would die out and fade into darkness. They were fragile beings who needed someone by their side to help them bring their lights back to life.

When Ravi revealed that Hakyeon was a Demigod, Hyuk saw hope once more. He knew he had to do something this time before it was too late, to the point of no return.

If Hakyeon was as similar to Taekwoon as Hyuk fears than Hakyeon must be taught well in his training and to refrain his darker side from taking over.

Hyuk isn’t the type to express his love aloud but he truly cherished Hakyeon’s presence and brightness. Hakyeon’s existence was as important as Taekwoon’s and Hyuk couldn’t afford to lose either of them. Hence, he decided to do whatever it takes to help Hakyeon with his training and making sure that he doesn’t fall into the abyss ever as his master did.

 

 

“It seems that you’re controlling your powers much better now,” Hyuk praised Hakyeon.

“I think that’s because of the Moon. I couldn’t do anything before I found this. Whenever I tried to awaken my powers before, I would end up being too drained and the darkness would try to take over. But with the Moon at my side, that is no longer the case. It’s like its protecting me.”

“I’ve noticed that as well. It’s quite different from the one my master has though.”

“How so?”

“Well, I know that both pieces of the Moon serve as a catalyst for power and control but the one my master has, only increased its powers when it can feel my master’s anger. But yours doesn’t do that. Instead, it tries to calm you so that you wouldn’t feel despair or frustration.”

“Is… Taekwoon okay than?” Hakyeon worried.

“It’s true he’s not really the Taekwoon that he was five years ago, always violent and angry but he’s okay. We just have to make sure he returns to normal before we’re too late. Don’t worry, we have time. I’ve been watching over him for a long time now, trust me.”

Hakyeon nodded. Relieved to hear that Taekwoon could still return to how he was before.

There was really nothing else he could do except to strengthen himself further. Instead of being depressed and weak, he knew that he had to toughen up in order to fight power with power. Only then, would the stubborn Ruler of the Underworld hear him out? Hear what he had to say. Everything that was on his mind.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Ravi sent Hakyeon and Hongbin one day to go on an errand to help gather some supplies for the cottage. They were short on food as well as medication for Jaehwan. Although medication for Jaehwan’s illness didn’t immediately cure him, it at least helped him soothe his symptoms.

Ravi has been studying and experimenting with different ingredients in order to help Jaehwan, so he needed the assistance of the other two while he was busy in his laboratory. Trying to help Jaehwan went through a lot of trials and errors. Even after many attempts, Jaehwan’s illness still hasn’t subsided but at the very least, his illness didn’t pain him as much as it did initially. Jaehwan kept trying to tell the others not to worry but who wouldn’t worry when they missed his smiles and energy so much?

“Here. Don’t forget to take this list with you guys. Just get all the ingredients on here from town and come back immediately. Don’t wander around too much and come back immediately so you can go back to training.” Ravi sent them out.

“We’ll be back,” Hakyeon replied.

The town was too familiar to the two now that they’ve been here countless times already. It’s as if this creepy place was their second home. Also, now that Hakyeon has awakened his senses as a Demigod, he no longer needed any barrier to cover his scents. It was different from full-fledged Gods or the dead but with Hongbin by his side, he was able to cover up the half of him that was still considered human.

Hongbin made a charm for himself that he invented after his many research. As long as he wore it, it could mask his identity as well as those who stood by his side.

Hongbin however, was still slightly annoyed at what Hakyeon did back when they were trying to rescue Soo-ah at the Tower. Even though its been weeks already.

“Kong-ah… stop glaring at me whenever you can. It makes me feel uneasy okay?” Hakyeon said.

“If it makes you so uneasy, then stop doing everything on your own! You know how dangerous this world is! Do you not trust me? Am I really that weak in your eyes?”

No of course not. I trust you a lot. But I just… didn’t want you to be in danger as well. You didn’t even know Soo-ah nor Taekwoon yet you still persisted in following me here. You’re human and it’s too dangerous for you.”

“What I do is up for me to decide. If I decided to come here with you, of course, I want to help out. But you just left me on the other side. Do you know how scared I was? Scared that you wouldn’t be returning at all.” Hongbin grabbed onto Hakyeon’s arms tightly. Just the thought of what could have happened back then scared him again; making him tremble.

“I’m sorry. I won’t do it again. Sorry to keep making you worry for me.” Hakyeon comforted and apologized to the younger.

“Promise?” Hongbin looked straight into Hakyeon’s eyes.

Hakyeon nodded.

The two of them finally erased the awkwardness that they were having for a while and continued to make their way to complete their errand for Ravi. Since they were familiar with the town now, the supplies were easy to find and could return home very soon.

Hongbin told Hakyeon to take a rest at the park that was safe from anyone around while he went to grab the final supplies. Hakyeon was tired from the lack of sleep he was having, all the training he was going through and everything else that Hongbin knew that the older needed a rest.

“I’ll be right back. Don’t go anywhere okay?” Hongbin said.

Hakyeon agreed.

Minutes have passed by and Hakyeon felt quite bored just sitting around. He had rested enough and his eyes started to wander about. He was itching to move around and got up. He promised Hongbin not to go anywhere, far at least. Just as he turned around the corner for a short walk, he heard cries and screaming from ahead. Instinctively, he ran towards the plead and saw a woman begging for mercy. She was holding onto a young child and trying to shield him from danger.

 Standing in front of the two was someone in a dark black cloak, covered from top to bottom and carrying a rather large blade. The mysterious person lifted his blade up as if he or she was ready to slay the innocent two in front.

“Please. I beg you. My child really didn’t mean to bump into you, sir. Please forgive him.” The mother pleaded desperately.

The child continued to cry in his mother’s arms, frightened and scared for both of their lives.

Hakyeon couldn’t believe that someone would punish an innocent child and his mother for such a small mistake. He knew he shouldn’t be interfering with the affairs of the Underworld but he wouldn’t be able to forgive himself if he had turned a blind eye. Just when the cloaked man was about to swing his blade at the mother, Hakyeon’s body responded and immediately jumped in to help them.

“Stop!” Hakyeon yelled.

The man halted his blade right in front of Hakyeon’s face and froze. Hakyeon looked up to see whether or not the blade had hit him but rather than being relieved that he was still alive, he was surprised to see a familiar face.

The face that he could never forget.

 

 

The two of them froze just at the sight of one another, unable to comprehend the situation. Unable to realize that the moment in which they have been longing for, finally came. After five long years, Hakyeon was finally able to see the person whom he came to the Underworld to meet.

Their reunion.

“Taekwoon?” Hakyeon muttered in disbelief.

The cloaked man was indeed Jung Taekwoon. His cold gaze was more intense than ever. Hakyeon could feel the chill through his body just staring straight into the latter’s eyes, the eyes that seemed to be able to read his mind. There was no way he could ever forget those eyes. Even in his dreams, Taekwoon’s face would still reappear, making him unable to forget. Those pale features, smaller lips, and taller build… Hakyeon missed it all too much.

Hakyeon came back to his sense of looking at Taekwoon to realize that the frightened mother and child were still behind him. He spread his arms out to guard them against Taekwoon’s blades.

“You can’t. Taekwoon-ah. Let them go.” Hakyeon said.

“…”

Taekwoon was silent. Still trying to figure out why the boy who looked exactly like Cha Hakyeon was here in front of him. Here in the Underworld.

“Why…” he finally muttered aloud,” are you here?”

Just listening to Taekwoon’s cold voice made Hakyeon’s heart beat faster.

“I…”

Hakyeon couldn’t say anything for some reason, as if something was clogging his throat from forming the words that he’s been longing to say. He was subconsciously afraid of Taekwoon, especially after hearing so many stories of how merciless the man has become.

“I asked you, why are you here!?” Taekwoon demanded a reply.

Taekwoon didn’t hesitate to lift his blade against Hakyeon’s face, trying to interrogate for answers. Was Taekwoon really so angry at Hakyeon after all? That he was willing to threaten or even kill Hakyeon at sight?

“Hakyeon-ah!” Hongbin came running in to help when he saw that the man in a cloak was ready to hurt Hakyeon.

Hongbin cast a blaze of fire towards Taekwoon’s arms, disarming him from his blade. Hongbin ran up towards Hakyeon to make sure the older was alright.

“Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?” Hongbin frantically looking all over at Hakyeon’s body to see if there were any injuries.

“I’m fine Kong-ah. He didn’t hurt me.” Hakyeon replied. Yet anyways, he thought to himself.

Hongbin sighed a relief but their moment was soon interrupted again when Taekwoon got back to his senses and picked up his blades once more. He saw a stranger was holding onto Hakyeon, being over-friendly and worrying for him.

“Who are you?” Taekwoon asked, annoyed at Hongbin’s interception.

“I’d like to ask who you are as well! If you’re going to fight, you better be ready to fight me first!” Hongbin stood in front to defend Hakyeon and taunting the unknown man.

“Kong-ah, he’s… Taekwoon.” Hakyeon said weakly trying to stop the boy from jumping into trouble.

“Tae-what? Then, he’s…” Hongbin was shocked.

The name Jung Taekwoon was mentioned multiple times that he couldn’t believe he’s finally meeting the man himself. But he was indeed sure of the man in front being Taekwoon, Hongbin’s body was trembling in fear just from finally looking at the cold yet intense gaze of Taekwoon.

“If he’s that Jung Taekwoon, than that means he’s going to be too dangerous. We need to get out of here. Now.” Hongbin suggested.

Hakyeon knew that Hongbin had a point but at the same time, he was slightly reluctant to leave. He wanted the moment to last a bit longer, to see Taekwoon’s face for a little while longer. Hongbin snapped Hakyeon out of his senses and pulled his arms to make the older get up.

“There’s no time to be zoning out. Com’on!”

“Uh, yeah right. Okay. Let’s go.” Hakyeon replied somewhat in disappointment.

Just as the two were about to step back and make their escape, Taekwoon cast a dark barrier in front, blocking their exit. No was allowed to leave, especially Hakyeon until he’s given his answer.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Taekwoon interrogated them again. Ready to kill anyone who didn’t listen to him.

“Dammit. Hakyeon, go. I’ll distract him while you escape.” Hongbin said.

“What? Are you crazy? He can kill you!” Hakyeon worried.

“Don’t worry about me. I can handle him. Just go.” Hongbin pushed him.

“But-”

Without hearing any further from Hakyeon, Hongbin dashed forward and cast a powerful spell towards Taekwoon’s direction. Taekwoon was surprised to see that the magic was oddly familiar, a mixture of the God’s and witchcraft. It was similar to someone he knew in the past.

But that surprise didn’t last for long. He was furious that the stranger was trying to make an escape route for Hakyeon, right in front of his very eyes. Taekwoon would not allow it.

The two fought one another and Hongbin defended well against Taekwoon’s attacks but the difference in their powers was too great. It was obvious who was more advantageous in this battle. Each time Hongbin tried to defend himself, the weight of Taekwoon’s attacks would weigh him down. Taekwoon’s every strike against Hongbin was intense and merciless. He was ready to kill. After a while, Hongbin could feel his body becoming more and more exhausted. His legs and powers were giving out.

He was human after all.

Just as Taekwoon was about to deal the finishing blow, a ray of light and lightning flew straight at him. He was shocked by the sudden surprise attack that was aimed at him and when he looked to see where the lightning was coming from, he saw Hakyeon running back. Hakyeon was no longer afraid and stood next to Hongbin to defend him against Taekwoon.

 


"Why didn’t you leave like I told you to?” Hongbin said.

“How can I? If I’m leaving, you’re coming back with me as well.” Hakyeon persisted.

Hakyeon stood his stance next to Hongbin, ready to fight with him side by side against his beloved. It ached his heart to do so but he knew he would never forgive himself if he had run away and watched Hongbin die in the hands of Taekwoon.

Hakyeon started to cast his powers and lightning warped around him. Taekwoon’s eyes widened to see the mysterious power coming from Hakyeon.

Hakyeon was supposed to be human. Just what is going on?

“How…” Taekwoon was confused.

“Sorry, Taekwoon but I can’t let you hurt Hongbin. Please let us go. Or else… I’ll have to fight you.” Hakyeon said.

“Fight… me?”

Hakyeon nodded.

Hakyeon could see the wavering and confusion in Taekwoon’s eyes and saw it as an opportunity for an escape. He brought out all of his powers and cast straight at Taekwoon’s feet, blinding Taekwoon’s sight. Before Taekwoon could even react, Hakyeon and the stranger named ‘Hongbin’ had vanished.

How? Why? Why is he here? Why is Cha Hakyeon here? In the Underworld…

Finally, Hakyeon got to reunite with Taekwoon. He was longing for the moment to come but it was not what he had expected.

 

A/N:

 

Fun Fact #13 - If even Hyuk hated Hakyeon, it'd be too sad. Hyuk was never supposed to hate Hakyeon even in the original storyboard :) But rather, helps Hakyeon instead. Now 5VIXX have gathered. Just one left.

Fun Fact #14 - The mother and child ran away while Hakyeon was confronting Taekwoon. Just didn't want to add it in to ruin my flow but just so you know.

Fun Fact 15... not really but more like spazzing:

HAKYEON IS FINALLY CASTED IN A DANCE MUSICAL CALLED 'IN THE HEIGHTS'!! HIS FIRST MUSICAL AFTER DEBUT! (His actual first was in 2011 before VIXX) Is the industry finally seeing light in Hakyeon's amazingness both in singing and dancing?

Also, I'm obsessed with Desperate (totally because it Hakyeon who choreo'd it.. also the sound ofc. I might end up liking this more than the title unfortunately.) 

Oh! and 'Romance is Over' is such a beautiful song. I have a soft-spot for VIXX doing ballads and slow tempo songs.... *sniffles*

Also, a gift to dump in for all you wonderful readers who might not know I draw fanarts:

Please continue supporting VIXX and The Closer by streaming the MV on YouTube and the music on Melon, Naver, Genie and Bugs!