Chapter XV - Our Time

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

[CHAPTER XV]

Our Time

 

 

Although Taekwoon agreed to stay at Hakyeon’s place for the night, it was because he didn’t know how to refuse when he saw how afraid Hakyeon looked. He wanted to make sure he was alright and wanted to help Hakyeon by reassuring him that he wasn’t going anywhere.

“Don’t worry too much about that dream. Okay? It’s just a dream.” Taekwoon patted Hakyeon the head to comfort him.

“But…”

“It’s okay. Just a dream. Let’s just go to sleep okay? It’s getting late and you must be tired as well, right?”

Hakyeon nodded. “Can you um… sing for me? While I fall asleep? I know it’s a bit weird but I want to hear it. Your singing voice. Without being blocked by a door…” Hakyeon held Taekwoon’s hand, unwilling to let go until he fell asleep.

Taekwoon agreed.

He placed his hands above Hakyeon’s eyes and sang a soft lullaby until Hakyeon fell asleep. As Taekwoon watched Hakyeon fall asleep, he couldn’t help but wonder why Hakyeon had the exact same dream as he did before. A nightmare that he doesn’t want to ever see again. Why would he ever leave Hakyeon now that he’s finally here, by his lifelong friend’s side? As he continued to think of their coincidences, Taekwoon fell asleep next to Hakyeon while continuing to hold onto his hand.

The morning came and Hakyeon was the first to wake up. He was still half asleep but he felt his own hand being held by a rather cold one. It was gentle though. He looked up and saw Taekwoon’s face, peacefully sleeping with his back laying on the bedframes. Hakyeon felt slightly sorry that he made his friend sleep in such an awkward position all night long just because of his own selfish request. As he became mesmerized by the sleeping Taekwoon, tears slowly formed in his eyes.

Why? Hakyeon wondered but didn’t know the answers to it. Could it be because his dear friend is finally here after all these years? The hand that held his own, Hakyeon didn’t want to let go.

Just as Hakyeon was still busy looking at Taekwoon’s face, Taekwoon woke up to see his friend becoming teary and he panicked.

“What’s wrong?” Taekwoon asked.

Hakyeon shook his head. “Nothing. Good morning.”

“Good morning.” Taekwoon was relieved that Hakyeon seemed fine and caressed Hakyeon’s soft bed hair.

“Sorry for making you sleep like this all night. You could’ve slept on the bed too you know?”

Taekwoon wouldn’t dare. He didn’t know what he would do if he did. He tried not to give into temptation.

“It’s okay. Let’s just get up and wash your face, okay?”

“Mhmm.” Hakyeon obediently followed Taekwoon to get ready.

As the two went downstairs to the kitchen, they saw Hakyeon’s mom and dad busily preparing breakfast.

“Morning mom! Morning dad!”

“Good morning Mr. and Mrs. Cha.”

“Good morning you two,” Hakyeon’s dad replied delightfully. “Did you two have a good sleep last night? Hope my son didn’t bother you too much.”

“Yes. Thank you for letting me stay the night.”

“That’s not a problem, right dear?” Hakyeon’s dad asking his wife.

She shook her head with a fragile smile but Taekwoon could still feel that something felt off about the way she looked at him.

“So what are your plans for today?” Hakyeon’s dad asked the two young ones around the table as they waited for breakfast to be ready.

“Not sure yet. What about you Taekwoonie? Is there any place you want to go?” Hakyeon asked.

“I don’t know either.” Taekwoon thinking had. He doesn’t have a clue about the human world and what they did during their free time. He was still in the process of adapting to the new environment.

“Why don’t you two visit the Water Mills upstream? You’ve never been to our town before right? There’s a great view of our town up there and it’s a good place to relax or run around. Isn’t that what kids do nowadays?”

“That’s right! I haven’t been up there in a while either. Let’s go there Taekwoonie! I’m sure it’ll be fun!”

Taekwoon agreed.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

After helping Hakyeon’s parents with the dishes, the two got dressed and headed out to the said Water Mills. They also grabbed a few snacks to bring along as well.

“Hakyeon?” A girl called out. It’s Soo-ah again.

“Morning Soo-ah.” Hakyeon waved at her.

“Where are you two going so early in the morning?” She asked.

That look again, Taekwoon thought as he caught the gaze of Soo-ah looking at him. Taekwoon didn’t like it but couldn’t say anything.

“We’re going up the Water Mills. You want to join us?” Hakyeon offered. Taekwoon wished he didn’t.

“Sure. I made some sandwiches from home and was going to bring it to you anyways.”

“That’s great! We also brought some snacks ourselves. But the food you make is always better. You have to try them too Taekwoonie!”

Taekwoon remained silent but didn’t show his displeasure with Soo-ah suddenly interfering his time with Hakyeon. As the three went uphill, Soo-ah looked as if she was beginning to get tired and Hakyeon offered to piggyback her the rest of the way up. The two of them looked so happy up front that Taekwoon could only watch in envy. He knew of what to expect when he tried so hard to set aside his own feelings to make sure Hakyeon was happy and safe but at the same time, he also wished that he could express it all.

The three sat by the Water Mills and looked down at the small town. It felt so big when he was walking around there but it looked so small looking at it again from afar. The view was definitely spectacular. They were able to see the entire town from up where they sat and everything was so calm and refreshing. The splashes of water that flowed downstream and clacking sounds that the water mill made as it turned were strangely enchanting. There was no noises and no interruptions from the busy town that was below them and all they could see or feel made Taekwoon forget everything for a moment. He looked to his side and saw Hakyeon was feeling the comfort of the scenery as well but also his happy smile while trying to entertain Soo-ah. How Taekwoon wish Hakyeon would stop that smiling for some other girl and only look at him instead. No, I can’t think like that. If I do, I’ll only hurt Hakyeon again. I can’t afford to lose him again, he repeated in his head trying to persuade himself.

After a long day, the three of them decided it was time to go back to town before the sunset. While they made it back into town, Jaehwan ran to meet them.

“Hey! Hakyeon-ah! Taekwoon! Where’d you two go? And without me!” Jaehwan said. “Oh, you’re here too Soo-ah?”

“Yes, I-,’ she got interrupted.

“Anyways, so I was looking for you two and was wondering if you guys can help me with something.” He went on and ignored Soo-ah completely.

Taekwoon saw that and almost felt too happy inside. Does Jaehwan not like her as well?

“Actually, the church needs a bit of touching up with some of the repairs and they’re looking for people to help out. Me and my brothers have already agreed and we’re looking for more people. So I thought of you two first! Aren’t I great?”

“Whatever Jaehwan. Do you want to help out, Taekwoon?”

“What kinds of repair?” Taekwoon asked.

“Just some simple hammering and painting. That church has been in this town since the beginning of time. It’s older than most the folks here so it’s kind of falling apart. But since it’s a town monument, we can’t just let it go. So want to help? It’s not like you guys have much going on anyways.”

The two were looking at Taekwoon for a reply and could sense a bit of pressure from their gazes as if all decisions fall in the hands of Jung Taekwoon. The one who only recently came to town and knew nothing of it. But this town was where Hakyeon grew up and where all his precious memories laid and just that thought, was enough to make Taekwoon agree.

“Yay! Alright, let’s head over now and I’ll tell you guys about what needs to be done. We can do the interiors tonight and start the repairs outside the church tomorrow when it’s bright again.” Jaehwan said.

“What about me?” Soo-ah finally spoke up while the three boys were in their own world.

“I don’t think you can handle anything there. I think you should go home. If your dad finds out you’re doing heavy work, he would scold us for sure and I don’t want to be scolded. So just… go home.” Jaehwan sounded a bit rude.

Hakyeon kicked him for being mean to Soo-ah for no reason.

“Ow! What?” Jaehwan bends down to rub away the pain.

Hakyeon gave him a glare.

“Ignore him, Soo-ah. But he’s right. It’s too dangerous for you to help out. I don’t want to worry your father either. Just be safe and go home for the day okay?” Hakyeon suggested while he placed his hands on her shoulders. Taekwoon didn’t want to see that and looked away.

“Okay… but if there’s anything you think I can help out with, please tell me. Goodbye Jaehwan, and you too, Taekwoon. Thank you for hanging out with me today.” Soo-ah said as she waved the boys goodbye.

It’s not like Taekwoon even wanted to hang out with her. She only got in the way.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

The three of them, along with Hyuk, made their way to the church and inspected the interiors. It was rusty and old as if the place could fall apart at any time. To have lasted this long for so many decades, this church must have been really strong. They split their duties and was hammering away to replace any old parts of the church with seemingly new ones. They tried to cover up holes around the walls and refreshed the old paint with a new layer. The sight of Hakyeon’s face covered with paint made Taekwoon laugh a bit.

“Did you just laugh at me?” Hakyeon pouted.

Taekwoon shook his head but couldn’t hide his smile. The mess Hakyeon made all over himself was rather amusing and Jaehwan caught the two having too much fun on their own.

“Gosh, you two! Work, work, work!” Jaehwan joked resting his hands on his hips as if he was the leader of the two older boys. Even Hyuk nodded in agreement with Jaehwan.

The four of them laughed while they were fixing and repairing the church. Time flew by in an instant. It was getting late and although they have been working nonstop for several hours, they weren’t tired at all. They had one another’s company and enjoyed every moment of their talks and laughter.

“Alright. I think this is good for the day. We did a lot already so we can continue some more tomorrow. My brothers will also bring more tools to help fix the roofs as well so we’re going to be even busier tomorrow. So let’s rest up.”

“Okay. Let’s go Taekwoonie!” Hakyeon pulled Taekwoon’s arms to follow.

Just as they were about to exit the church, Taekwoon could hear something creaking from above. He looked up and saw a part of the ceiling rather loose and dangerous. He could sense it was going to fall, right above the two of them. Out of reflex, he panicked and pushed Hakyeon out of the way.

“TAEKWOON!” Hakyeon let out a cry.

The ceiling had collapsed on top of Taekwoon and rubbles sealed his body entirely.