Chapter XI - The World in Which He Lives In

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

[CHAPTER XI]

The World in Which He Lives In

 

 

“Is he awake yet?”

Taekwoon could hear a voice as he tried to wake up from his blurred vision.

As he slowly opened his eyes, the lights in the room blinded him. What happened to me? He vaguely remembers what happened before passing out but have no clue as to why. But he finally did it. He has successfully slain the Ruler of the Underworld, his father. All for the sake of his own selfishness and desperation in which he could not control.

As he gently lifted his body to sit up, the door opened.

“You finally woke up. You've been sleeping for three days straight you know? We were worried.” Ravi enters the room along with Hyuk by his side. “How are you feeling?”

“I'm fine. What happened?” Taekwoon asked.

Ravi sighed.

“You passed out. That's what happened. The power of the Moon was too much for you to handle so you fainted the moment you touched it. Anyways, even I can't get near it yet, so we left it where it is at the moment until we can figure out a way to properly dismantle it from the gargoyle’s mouth.”

“I see..,” Taekwoon disappointed to hear that he was still too weak even after all the training he went through.

“But we have something else you might want to worry about though...” Ravi said as he looked straight into Taekwoon's eyes worrying about something.

“Hmm?”

“You do realize... we killed your father. Who was technically the Ruler of the Underworld right?”

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Of course, Taekwoon remembers. The once feared and merciless Ruler of the Underworld was no more. Rumors began to travel throughout the Underworld, both the living and the dead. The merciless man was slain by his own son, his own blood. They were in an uproar. No one would have guessed that Taekwoon had it in him. That Jung Taekwoon, who was both timid and powerless. When they found out that Taekwoon killed his own father, the people began to fear that the sleeping lion has finally awakened.

Soon enough, Taekwoon decided to dismiss all the old maids and housekeepers within the mansion in order to cease of any gossips they were to bring. Besides Hyuk and Ravi, the mansion was now empty from any other forms of life. Ravi agreed to stay at the mansion with Taekwoon since he no longer felt the need to hide away in the swamps and the mansion had an entire library for him to do his research and experiments.

With Taekwoon's father gone, it was only right that Taekwoon would replace him as the new Ruler of the Underworld. But Taekwoon had another objective in mind. He didn't care for the power nor the status. He allowed Ravi to look after political matters and assigned a few trusted officials to handle the job. After all, Taekwoon's one and only purpose were going through to the other side.

The mortal realm.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Preparing to get to the other side required more work than Taekwoon had initially thought though. It wasn't an easy task and needed time to make sure everything was going smoothly.

“The key through that door was sealed and kept away by someone else a long time ago. He's been missing for a while so there's no way we can take it from him. Without the key, the door won't open. But there is a way we can get you through to the other side. For example, how does the dead arrive from the other side to the Underworld? Upstream and through the gates at the end of the River Styx. Although the living cannot enter it, we have a chance now. With the power of the Moon, we can create a barrier to protect you while you enter the gates. But you will only have a limited amount of time to make it across so you need to hurry before the barrier disappears. If it disappears, you'll be trapped in there forever. It seems risky but this is the only way for you to get through.” Ravi suggested.

“What should I do?” Taekwoon asked.

“Okay. Since you seem ready for it, just give me a few more days to prepare a few things to help you out. In the meantime, you need to be able to handle the powers of the Moon. I know you want to rush things like always but this can't be rushed. We have to be careful with every step we take and because everything relies on whether or not you can wield the Moon’s powers, you need to train again. We don't want you blacking out again now do we?”

Taekwoon agreed and listened to every one of Ravi's instructions. Initially, when he held the Moon or even got too close to it, Taekwoon would lose consciousness and felt as if his powers were completely drained. But he definitely felt himself getting stronger. Progress was slower than he expected but the results were there. After a couple more trial and error, the Moon no longer rejected him as violently as it did before. He was slightly delighted by the positive results he was getting and everything was going according to plan.

“Hyuk. Let's go see if Hakyeon is at the base today. We can tell him the good news that we might finally be able to meet him!” and Hyuk followed his master, who finally let up a smile after a long while. Hyuk has been worrying about Taekwoon especially on the nights where he would cry by himself yet Hyuk didn't know how to comfort his master. The only person who could comfort him was Hakyeon after all.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Despite the hundreds or thousands of times, he made his trips through the Forest of Nightmares, Taekwoon still finds it an enchanting place. He was scared at first of course because of the rumors but after several more times, the forest became his second home. The wandering souls that avoided Taekwoon at first also became more comfortable by his presence. Over time, they became Taekwoon's friends and accompanied him during the times when he couldn't meet with Hakyeon. Taekwoon learned a lot from conversing with the souls and they taught him many things or told him many stories.

“Do you think we will hear from Hakyeon today?” Taekwoon asked Hyuk while the two sat down in front of the door.

“Yup!” Hakyeon's voice came out suddenly and responded to his question.

Surprised by Hakyeon, Taekwoon shot back up from his spot yet let out a smile. It seemed that the two of them had the same thoughts again. Being able to meet one another even when they didn't plan to. As if they knew the other wanted to hang out.

“Seems like you're extra enthusiastic today Taekwoonie!”

“Mhmm.” Taekwoon couldn't agree more.

“Well then, since you're THIS happy, I must request a song from you, right? It's been so long since I've heard you sing,” Hakyeon asking in the cutest way possible that made Taekwoon's heart melt. Who could say no?

“What do you want to hear?”

“Anything as long as it's you singing it.” Hakyeon chuckled.

Taekwoon sang his tunes and Hakyeon hummed along to Taekwoon's beautiful voice. Everything felt so magical and dreamy for the while. If only this moment could last forever...

“Bravo! As expected of my lifelong friend!” Hakyeon clapped enthusiastically like a seal.

Taekwoon blushed from the comment.

“Ah~ it would be so great if you could sing during my wedding though.” Hakyeon sighed.

“Huh?” Taekwoon finally snapped from his momentary happiness.

“Well, I did tell you I was going to agree with the marriage last time right? I talked to my parents about it and they had a conversation with the mayor as well. It seems like they're planning on the date right now and might be sooner than I expected. But I have no idea what I should do to help prepare. It seems like the adults are doing all the work and I can't even help.” Hakyeon let out another sigh.

“When...”

“Hmm? I don't know yet. But probably soon, something like the end of next month at the latest. Why?”

“I...” Taekwoon didn't know how to reply as his heart was beginning to weep in silence again.

“But seriously, how I wish you could be there. We've known each other for the longest and honestly, you're the second person I'm closest to after my parents and I don't even tell them everything I tell you! You're going to at least wish me the best for my marriage when it happens right?”

Tell him Taekwoon. Even if it's a lie, tell him you wish him the best and make him happy... Taekwoon trying to persuade himself.

“...” But the words wouldn't come out.

“Taekwoonie?”

Just tell him. You've lied about who you really are this entire time to your lifelong friend. You can lie even more. You're a beautiful liar, aren't you?

“I can't. I'm sorry Hakyeon. I really can't.” Taekwoon said as he was unable to lie any further. He clenched his fist so tightly as he told the truth that his nails dug into his palms; hoping that the pain would wipe away his broken heart once again.

“What do you mean you can't? What's wrong Taekwoonie?” Hakyeon was surprised by Taekwoon's rejection. Taekwoon has never said 'no' to anything Hakyeon asked of him before.

“I'm sorry Hakyeon but it's impossible. I can't. I don't... wish for the best of your marriage.”

“Why not?” Hakyeon was beginning to feel hurt by Taekwoon's words. The one person he hoped to get his best wishes from, rejected him and he didn't even know why. Why couldn't Taekwoon wish him the best?

“I...”

Don't say it Jung Taekwoon. You won't be able to go back if you do.

“I can't and won't do it. I don't agree with it in the first place. You marrying some girl you barely even know and only agreeing to this marriage because your parents say so. What makes you think she's the right person for you?”

Hakyeon was speechless.

“What if she doesn't actually like you? What if she's not as she seems to be? You're bad at judging people because... you've only had me as your closest friend and you're too oblivious about everything else.” Taekwoon continued, not knowing how to stop the words from coming out. “Your marriage was a setup since the beginning, not because you love her. You talked highly about her and even thought she was too perfect for you. So why the sudden change of heart? Just for your parents? What about yourself? You only think you can love her because you've never loved anyone else before. You don't know anything about loving someone...”

Don't.

“That's why you're so insensitive about other's feelings and... a complete idiot.”

Hakyeon felt hurt by Taekwoon's words. He didn't know how to fight back. Was this how Taekwoon felt about him this entire time? An idiot? An oblivious fool?

“You don't mean it right Taekwoon?” Hakyeon tries to deny everything that came out of Taekwoon's own mouth.

I don't.

“I do. Everything and all of it. It's the truth. Even after you marry her, can you really guarantee that you'll be happy? What if you realize you don't like her as much after you guys get married? What happens then? You'll only regret it afterward and there won't be anywhere to go back to. You're only marrying for your parents' sake, not your own. If you think you can make others happy by sacrificing your own happiness, it just proves my point, you’re an idiot.” Taekwoon repeated.

Unable to stop his own words, Taekwoon realized it was too late and that he had hurt Hakyeon's feelings. He could hear his friend sobbing from the other side even though Hakyeon was trying so hard to conceal his tears.

“But! She isn't like that! I know it! I can feel it!” Hakyeon trying to fight back. “She even laughs at my stories or jokes and we have talked a lot recently. She's not the way you make her be.”

“Are you sure she's laughing at your jokes and not at you?” Taekwoon argues back.

“Me?” Hakyeon's voice cracked as he was beginning to break down. He knew well how it felt to be laughed at by people who called him a 'friend' after all. All those jokes about his foolish character and dark skin.

“Yes, you. You're so easily tricked by others because you have nobody else who would accept you as a lifelong friend except me. You've only had me to help you this entire time that you don't even know how to depend on yourself except me. You can laugh and smile all you want but you and I both know that half of the reasons why you smile so much is so that you can cover up how lonely and sad you really are. You're a horrible liar Cha Hakyeon.”

“Take it back. Don't say any more.” Hakyeon pleaded.

But it was already too late, there was no going back.

“Enough,” Hakyeon said. He didn't want to hear any more from Taekwoon.

As much as he wanted to deny everything Taekwoon said, there was some truth to it. Hakyeon was aware of it but didn't want to admit it.

“I'll prove you wrong. I know she can accept me for who I am. She's not the way you think she is. You haven't even met her! Even if she doesn't love me in the end, I don't care.” Hakyeon's voice was breaking and stuttering. “From this day on... I don't need you as a friend! Because friends aren't like you! I don't ever want to see you again, Jung Taekwoon!” Hakyeon declared as he ran away.

Without being able to say anything more, Taekwoon was left on the other side, alone and dumbfounded. Why did he say all those things he said to Hakyeon just now? Why couldn't he control his heart the way he wanted to? But before he could find the answers to those questions, it was already too late to realize his mistake.

Hakyeon had left him.

His lifelong friend had left him because Taekwoon couldn't set aside his own feelings. He knew in his mind what he shouldn't have said but his heart argued otherwise. He couldn't deny his heart and how much it longed for Hakyeon's affection to belong to him only but when he heard Hakyeon was about to marry someone else, he snapped.

“What have I done?” As he fell to the ground, curling himself and crying.

Hyuk could see that his master was in pain once again and even more so than before. Taekwoon had hurt the one he loved the most.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

As Ravi was busily making preparations for Taekwoon's departure from the Underworld, he was rudely interrupted by the said person entered his lab without even knocking.

“What the hell? Knock first before you enter, would you? How many times...”

Ravi was annoyed at Taekwoon but could see something didn't feel right. Taekwoon had a dark expression on his face as if he had given up all hope... The face that Ravi knew too well of.

“What wrong?” Ravi asked worryingly.

“I... I don't want to go to the human world anymore.” Taekwoon said in his sad voice and staring blankly at the floor.

“Huh? What do you mean? What happened?” Ravi confused.

“I've lost my purpose to... he hates me now. Hakyeon said we are no longer friends.” Taekwoon finally breaks down into tears.

Taekwoon told Ravi everything that he said and shouldn't have said. Ravi could see how much Taekwoon was regretting it and tried to comfort him. He has never seen Taekwoon this broken before and wanted him to feel better.

“Then... you have more than enough reason to go to the mortal realm. You have to go apologize to him. To Cha Hakyeon.”

“...”

“Look. Just go there and find him. Tell him you're sorry and that you didn't mean it all. Just tell him the truth. Tell him everything and how much you love him and reacted the way you did when you heard him talking about marrying someone else.” Ravi suggested.

“I can't do that. What if he gets grossed out or rejects me? I don't know if I can handle any more than that after losing Hakyeon as a friend already.”

“So what? You're just going to sit here forever and being depressed about it for the rest of your life for a mistake you didn't even mean to make? The longer you deny your feelings, the more hurt you will get. Your words hurt Cha Hakyeon and you're hurt because he's hurt right? Then go clear up the misunderstanding so that he's not as upset because of you. That's the least you can do right?”

Ravi had a point. Taekwoon said things he didn't mean to and as much as he was hurt by Hakyeon's marriage, he felt more pain when he realized how much he hurt his friend's feelings. The friend that trusted him so much. Taekwoon nodded and wiped away his tears.

“You're right. Thanks.”

“Thank me after you clear everything up. Anyways, I've finished the preparations. How's your training going?”

“I think I've improved a lot compared to before.”

“Good. Then we'll get you to the other side as soon as possible.”

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

Taekwoon spent the next week or so focusing on nothing but training and eventually, he was able to reach for the Moon and take hold of it. After possessing the Moon, Ravi suggested Taekwoon transfer some of its powers onto a spell that he was working on for Taekwoon. A spell that carved an eye on Taekwoon's right hand.

“What's this?”

“It's the eye of the Moon. It will allow you to wield its powers on top of making sure you don't overuse your own. If you use too much power to the point that you can't control yourself again, the eye will react to it and drain the excess power. Don't worry, it only burns a little. It's better than you losing consciousness and going berserk. Trust me.”

Although Taekwoon was slightly worried, he trusted Ravi.

The time finally came as Taekwoon and Ravi sailed up to the gates of the River Styx. When they finally reached the gates, Ravi set up a spell that opened up the gate for Taekwoon to enter.

“Anyways, remember, you have to follow the path I paved for you. I've already cast a spell that makes sure you end up on the other side of that door so don't get lost. You can't afford to waste even a second once you've entered the portal, okay?”

Taekwoon nodded.

“And you,” Ravi bent down and patted Hyuk on the head. “Make sure you protect this idiotic master of yours, okay?” Hyuk nodded and gave Ravi a nudge as thanks for everything he has done for them.

Taekwoon took a deep breath and cast the Moon's barrier on himself and Hyuk. He glanced back at Ravi one last time and bid him farewell until the next time they meet again. Then, he set foot inside the gates. Without wasting a second, as Ravi advised, Taekwoon followed the string of light that led him to where he needed to be. He raced to the end of the path while making sure he didn't get distracted by the souls that were going in the opposite directions. Just as his barrier was beginning to weaken, he saw the exit and made a dash for it.

Finally, he arrived.

In the world in which he lives in.

 

 

End of ACT I