Bonus Chapter - Heaven's Descendent II

(LeoN/NEO) The World of Us

A/N: What's this? A KenVi bonus chapter?!?!? This takes place before and middle of the actual story.

Just a small chapter though, nothing too fancy.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

[Heaven’s Descendants – Bonus Chapter]

 

 

There are times where we end up saying things we don’t actually mean. We act according to our emotions more so than reason, which causes us to lose all rationale. That was exactly the case for Wonshik, who now goes by the name of ‘Ravi’ the witch.

After being caught for trying to steal the Sun from his father, he found himself imprisoned at the deepest parts of Heaven. He was furious for his lack of abilities and that he couldn’t carry out his plans perfectly. He thought it was flawless until he was proven otherwise.

Where did it go wrong? What did he miscalculate?

All of these things preoccupied his mind throughout the days of his imprisonment and as he was locked away, he kept thinking about why his plans had failed. No one should have known, no one except…

Did someone betray me?

That’s when he began to lose himself.

The only one who knew of his plans was Lee Jaehwan. His childhood friend and his ‘lover’. But how could that be? Jaehwan said he loves Ravi a lot to the point of breaking down into tears, so why would he betray his beloved? Was it all a lie when he confessed just so that he could trap Ravi into revealing himself?

Ravi wanted to believe in Jaehwan but he also knew of the playful and tricky side to the older. He couldn’t find himself to trust anyone by then.

“You betrayed me! No one else knew about me stealing the Sun except you!” Ravi pointed at Jaehwan, furious and full of rage. “If it wasn’t you, who else could it be?!”

“I can explain. Please, just listen to me,” Jaehwan pleaded in tears.

“Save it. I don’t need any of your excuses. I don’t ever want to hear or see you ever again,” Ravi turned away from the other.

And that was the last thing Ravi said to Jaehwan and it became the first time he’s ever regretted his decision.

Ever since that time, Ravi noticed that Jaehwan really didn’t visit him anymore, just as he demanded. But knowing what type of person Jaehwan is, Ravi thought the older would be more persistent.

As days went by and as Ravi waited for the day of his sentencing, he suddenly felt empty inside knowing that no one, not even his own father, would visit him anymore. He began to hope, just a little more every day, that Jaehwan would visit him just once more.

He couldn’t help but wish to see the other’s face even if he knew that he was asking for too much.

The doors to the prison chambers finally opened one day and Ravi hoped to see Jaehwan walk through those doors but unfortunately, it was not who Ravi was expecting at all.

It was the King of the Heavens, Jaehwan’s father, himself.

“Bring him out,” the King commanded the guards that followed him closely by his side.

They opened the cell and chained Ravi’s entire body, immobilizing the dangerous ‘witch’ so that he couldn’t make any attempts to running away.

Not that Ravi would in the first place.

Then, without another word, the guards took Ravi out of the chambers and into the distance. The King was watching quietly along the way.

“Where are you taking me?” Ravi felt uneasy as he saw the distance from the palace growing further and further away.

“You have committed a high treason of the Heavens and betrayed your father. What do you think will happen to you?” the King finally spoke up.

Ravi knew exactly what types of punishment would unfold for him.

Death.

“Wait,” he said. “I… I want to see Jaehwan first!”

The ring of death made Ravi more desperate into wishing to see Jaehwan just one last time.

Ravi has thought about it long and hard while he was held prisoner. He came to regret lashing out on the older and not hearing what Jaehwan had to say. He knew he should’ve given the other a chance to explain yet his emotions took the better of him. Now, Ravi began to miss Jaehwan even more.

It’s true that Jaehwan can be very aloof and playful. Sometimes even to the point of being oblivious to those around him, even to Ravi’s feelings. There was many times where they didn’t agree on somethings but no one could deny the fact that Jaehwan was loyal. Even if the entire Heaven turned against Ravi when he decided to throw away his Godly identity, Jaehwan was the only one who stayed quietly by his side.

For Jaehwan to persist so long and supporting Ravi for so many centuries, would the older really betray him? No. And Ravi clearly knew the answer to that. He should have listened when he had the chance and now… it was too late.

“There’s no need,” the King told Ravi.

“But-“

“Bring him down to the door,” the man instructed his guards.

Door? Ravi looked around, trying to resist taking another step further down the path. He was afraid of what is to come.

The guards forced Ravi to head down a long stairway from Heavens and in that moment, the brightly lit sky suddenly grew dark and eerie. The atmosphere was chilling and heavy.

Ravi felt his body trembling slowly in fear.

As far as he could tell, they were no longer anywhere in Heaven.

“W-wait,” Ravi tried to plead once more. “I don’t care what you want to do with me but please, let me see Jaehwan just once more. I just want to tell him that I’m sorry!”

The King signaled his guards to halt.

“Give us some space,” he told his guards.

Obedient, the guards walked away for the two to talk privately.

The King stood tall in front of Ravi.

“It is already too late,” he said.

“Too late? What do you mean?”

“My son, Jaehwan is no longer in the Heavens.”

“What?”

The King let out a deep sigh of sadness.

“The both of you are indeed foolish and stubborn for your own good. You clearly knew of the consequences if you were to fail in obtaining the Sun yet you still tried to do it anyways. Do you not feel sorry for your father who has raised you so well over the years?”

“I…”

Ravi did feel the guilt about going against his father, who he still respects even now. After all, despite his hatred for the Gods, the guardian of the Sun was still his father.

“And just as foolish as you are, so is my son.”

“Jaehwan?” Ravi asked.

“He traded his freedom for your execution to be lifted.”

“W-what?” Ravi felt a heavy weight on his chest and began to panic for Jaehwan’s sake.

“He came to plead with me, so desperately for the first time since he was born, in order to forgive you and not sentence you to death. He was willing to give up all his freedom and powers as the heir of the Heavens in order to save your life.”

It can’t be…

“My son was never once interested in taking over my throne after I retire even though he was the first candidate in my mind. But he never once defied my orders either. He obeyed everything I asked of him in order for him to roam the Heavens with freedom until the day he becomes King. Freedom was all he’s ever wanted yet because of you, he was willing to give that up.”

“If he gave up his freedom… what’s going to happen to him now?” Ravi was desperate for the answer.

“He no longer resides in the Heaven. He is now in the mortal realm in order to monitor the mortals for the Gods as well as to carry out the missions the Heavens have assigned him to do. He can no longer be free to do as he pleases and his position within the skies will no longer be the same.”

No way… Ravi could not believe it and he felt even more regretful for not seeing Jaehwan once more. He should have listened to the older after all.

The King also told Ravi that it wasn’t Jaehwan’s fault that his plans were exploited but rather, it was his own father. Ravi’s father has been suspicious of his actions ever since Ravi abandoned home and his identity. Since then, his father has kept a close eye on Ravi and was able to predict what his son was going to do. After all, they were still of the same blood.

Ravi finally realized that he really did blame the wrong person. He blamed the one person who he should not have because even if the universe was to turn against Ravi, Jaehwan would never.

“But where are you taking me?” Ravi asked the King.

“Even though you will be kept alive, I can not allow you to stay in the Heavens any longer. Unfortunately, I have no other choice but to exile you into the Underworld.”

As Ravi walked through the gates that linked between the two worlds, he was reminded of all the times he’s spent with Jaehwan. Ever since their first meeting in the palace when they were children.

Those memories were indeed precious to Ravi, so precious that he couldn’t help the tears that fell as he passed through the gates.

If only he wasn’t so stubborn, if only he was willing to listen, then all of their misunderstandings would not have been created in the first place.

Ravi didn’t lie when he believed that he felt something special for Jaehwan, but now he was certain, he really did love Jaehwan.

 

*   *   *   *   *   *

 

How can you be stupid? He asked as he watched Jaehwan still unconscious after transferring his powers to Hakyeon. Why can’t you think about the consequences? Why don’t you think about what could happen to you?

Ravi slouched on Jaehwan’s bedside as he watched the older laying still on the bed. It has been almost a week and Jaehwan has yet to open his eyes.

“Always sacrificing yourself for other people… why don’t you ever think for yourself first? Dammit, wake up already… I still have so much to tell you,” he could feel the jabbing pain in his chest as he saw how pale Jaehwan has become after losing his powers.

Jaehwan was no longer a God but merely a mortal; one who was vulnerable to all diseases and illness especially time.

“What kind of face is that?” Jaehwan finally woke up and said in a weak voice.

“You!” Ravi stood up immediately, almost in disbelief that Jaehwan has awaken.

Ravi was obviously worried for Jaehwan who looked so weak and fragile unlike the usual. He’s never seen Jaehwan in such a state before. Just how did he manage to live in the mortal realm all this time? Ravi wanted to take things slow when it came to Jaehwan because he knew their misunderstanding was going to take some time to clear up.

He is no longer angry with Jaehwan, nor did he have the right to be but what about Jaehwan? Jaehwan was accused of something he didn’t do and sacrificed his freedom in order to save Ravi… would he end up holding a grudge against the person he once loved?

“I’m tired of this,” Jaehwan suddenly said.

Ravi was surprised that Jaehwan knew exactly what the consequences were going to be when he transferred his powers to Hakyeon. He knew the outcome yet he still performed the ritual anyways.

Tired of what? Ravi worried as his hands trembled to keep Jaehwan in balance.

“I’m tired of being a God,” Jaehwan continued.

Ravi was almost in disbelief with what he was hearing.

“And… I’m tired of being separated from you. I have so much to tell you, but I was too afraid to say it.”

Me too. Ravi wanted to tell the other the exact same words.

“Wonshik-ah, won’t you hear me out?” Jaehwan asked with anxiety in his eyes.

Ravi didn’t hesitate and took Jaehwan’s hands in his own. He didn’t know what came to him but tears began to fall, which surprised Jaehwan quite a bit. He’s never seen Ravi in such a state before.

“What’s wrong,” Jaehwan reached out to Ravi’s face to see whether or not the witch was really crying.

Ravi took Jaehwan’s cold hands and even though he was trembling as he touched Jaehwan, he didn’t want to let go. Ravi could no longer afford to let go nor did he want to see Jaehwan out of his sight anymore.

“I’m sorry,” Ravi said through his tears.

“Huh? About what? I should-“

“No. It’s not your fault. It was never your fault in the first place yet I kept blaming you for my own failure. I’m sorry… I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” he kept repeating those words of guilt and regret. He felt anger for himself and how long it took him to say those words to Jaehwan finally.

Ravi broke down completely.

Jaehwan who witnessed such a broken friend could feel the exact same pain inside of him, as if he could tell how sorry Ravi was. He grabbed Ravi tightly and held him with all the strengths he could put out. Through his weak state, Jaehwan tried his best to reassure Ravi that everything will be all right again.

“It’s okay,” Jaehwan held onto his tears as best as he could through his weakened state. “We all make mistakes but what matters the most is that we learn from them.”

“But…”

Ravi couldn't find it in himself to forget all that he’s done and said to Jaehwan. He said all the things he shouldn’t have and it was difficult for him to move on.

Jaehwan could see that Ravi was blaming himself a lot as the other continued to nurse him through his ill-state. Jaehwan who had lost his abilities as a God, grew sick and weak each and every day. He tried his best not to worry Ravi and the others, but he could feel his body losing its strength and powers. It was hard to even breathe.

He knew well that after he lost his abilities as God, he would eventually experience something known as death. Ravi tried his best for Jaehwan and find the best cure he could to help the older but there was not enough research or answers done in the past to help a God who has lost his powers. Everything had to start from scratch.

Jaehwan felt sorry that he had to watch Ravi lose sleep every night in order to attend to his illness. It wasn’t Ravi’s responsibility and nor it should be. It was himself who chose this path. It was Jaehwan’s own decision to go through with the ritual and discarding his identity as a God.

Being a God was tiresome. He’s lost so many things that were once dear to him because of being a God.

“Did you know that Hakyeonie used to cry in the corner every time someone picked on him? He’s so silly,” Jaehwan told Ravi one night as he was being nursed in bed.

Ravi quietly listened to Jaehwan’s story of him being in the human world.

“But, he tries his best all the time and I’ve always thought he was a weird kid,” Jaehwan laughed. “You heard a lot of Hakyeonie from Taekwoon right?”

Ravi nodded. He’s heard all about the mortal from the heir of the Underworld himself since years and years ago.

“It’s such a strange fate don’t you think?” Jaehwan asked. “That we’d be able to meet again like this… sometimes, it just feels so unreal.”

“But it is real,” Ravi took the other’s hands and gently caressed it. “Please Jaehwan-ah, promise me that you won’t ever do something like this again… something that would end up risking your life for anything. I don’t know if I can handle it anymore… I don’t want to be separated from you anymore.”

Jaehwan looked at Ravi’s eyes, which were full of worries.

He didn’t know how much time he would have left now that he was nothing but a mortal. Yet, he wanted to cherish every minute he could with Ravi because even now, he still loves the witch.

The two’s separation meant something.

The both of them were divided into two worlds and the misunderstanding between them allowed them to broaden their views and learn their mistakes.

Ravi learned to trust in people and believe in those who stood by his side. He’s learned to allow others in his life because of his encounter with Jaehwan.

Jaehwan also learned to love the mortals who he was once envious of and become friends with them. He’s learned to befriend the mortals and learn why they were so precious.

Their separation and their reunion allowed them to see what was most important to them. The two of them also realized how important it was to hold dear onto the things that matters most and learning not to let go. Because if they were to let go of each other once more, there may not be a second chance.