I'm in Love with the Libero

IOI Shikshins One-Shot Collection

"Break!!"

I panted in relief. I went to one of the benches where my bag was, getting a bottle of water and my phone. I text a certain someone as I downed the whole bottle.

-Meet me at the lobby at 4. See you there ♡-

"Who're you texting?" Suhyun-unnie meddled, taking a peek at my phone.

"Unnie~" I whined, blocking my text message.

Just then, I saw the members of our glee club's subunit: the Angels (vocalists) pass by. I saw Sejeong-unnie oogling at (K)Nayoung-unnie again. Haein-unnie moved closer hugging her girlfriend.

"Have you been meddling to Mina's texts again? I told you before not to." Haein-unnie pinches Suhyun-unnie's ear.

"Ow." Suhyun-unnie whined.

All of us were called again. Haein-unnie and Suhyun-unnie ruffle my head and went back on their rehearsal. I huffed and went back to dance practice.

---

After practices, I scurried past the crowd of dancers and actresses and went to the sports arena. I saw Yeonjung by the bleachers and went to sit next to her.

"Mina!" Yeonjung greeted and we hi-fived.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I'm waiting for my girlfriend to finish," said Yeonjung.

Yoo Yeonjung, one of the 'University Avengers' was one of the best vocalists in Angels. And the best part is that she's in a relationship with another UA, Kim Doyeon, the best tennis player in the university.

"I see." I nodded as I looked at the top athletes practicing.

All of them were also UAs. Jeon Somi was a Taekwondo player. Park Soyeon was our best swimmer, Jung Chaeyeon was our figure skater....and my crush was at the volleyball court.

"Yah! You're oogling at the best libero again," said Yeonjung.

"Get used to it." I mumbled.

I watch her serve as the game became epic. With every set and spike, she always has a counter-attack. Not only that, she is so pretty and was as cute as a penguin.

"Kim Sohye is an outstanding player." Yeonjung mumbled.

"Yeah...speaking of which, are you excited for the Hallyu Games?" I asked her.

"Of course. We'll be competing with other universities. Also, my Doyeonnie's playing. I can't wait!!" Yeonjung said excitedly.

"You can also see Kim Sohye play too." She winked.

I lightly slapped her shoulder. Well, she was right about it. All of us will be competing and as for volleyball, it became a reason why I am anticipating the said event.

---

I was in a hurry once again. I gulped as I checked the time: 4:45 P.M. I was supposed to meet someone and I'm late again.

"Hyeyeon-ah!" I called.

Hyeyeon was my girlfriend. She was from another branch of this university and I told her to meet me here. I felt guilty for I was late again.

"Mina~♡" She reached to hug me.

"Sorry I'm late." I apologized.

"It's okay." She said.

"Let's eat! I'm hungry." I pouted.

"Alright. Come on." Hyeyeon grabbed my hand and we were off to eat.

---

At the cafeteria, Hyeyeon and I had our meal. I ate heartily and noticed Hyeyeon smiling and chuckling, busy on her phone.

"What're you doing?" I asked her of her busy world.

"Nothing..." Hyeyeon said, her face turned serious.

I nodded and continued to eat again. I noticed her chuckling again, her hands, eyes, maybe her ears, busy on her phone. I found it a bit disturbing and decided to talk to her of dance practice.

"I became star dancer now."

"Oh really? How nice." She said.

"And guess what? I suggested to do a collaboration for the Hallyu Games. That way, we can dance together." I said again and she just gave me a nod.

I noticed her phone ringing. I got a peek on the dialler when Hyeyeon grabbed it and answered the call. I continued to indulge on the food when I heard Hyeyeon's change of voice. My senses were tingling as if...she's cheating on me.

'I couldn't believe this!!'

Over the past few months of our relationship, she never says things cheesily. Our dates were always serious as if we're more like acquaintances than girlfriends. And as I hear this different side of her, I felt my senses leading to somewhere legit.

"Hyeyeon-"

"Excuse me. I have to take this," she interrupted me.

I felt a bit offended. We were supposed to be in a date. I talk to her but she doesn't answer me properly. I felt left out of this date that I had to do something about it.


"Hyeyeon-ah." I held her hand.

She gave me a serious look again and shoved my hand off of hers. She sighed and answered her call again, leaving me hanging for the second time around. I sighed hard, resisting the urge to cry. I went to the comfort room to relief myself but then my eyes got wetter by the second. This has just gone far enough...

---

I got out of the comfort room, relieved. I went back to our table to see Hyeyeon back on her seat, still busy with her phone. I noticed her texting someone and I managed to see some messages, which really hit my heart like a stake.

-Sorry, babe. I'm still on a date with the UA. I'll come, okay? Love you ♡-

-Hyeyeon-ya? When will you stop this??-

-I will soon. I have to let everyone on our branch think that I dated the UA. It's for your sake, okay? Bear with me. You know I'll always be loyal to you.-

My blood boiled. I sat back down, facing her and giving her a serious look. Hyeyeon noticed me and held my hand tenderly, making me feel icky of her fake facade.

"Hey...how about I order you another one of your favorites?" She smiled, reaching to cup my cheek.

I backed away and stood up. She also stood up to reach my hand when I grabbed my glass of water and splashed it towards her.

"Thanks for cheating on me, lying to me, and using me, babo!" I yelled.

I pulled our pact and threw it at her. I grabbed my stuff and ran hastily. My vision was a bit blurry and I couldn't stop crying. How could she do that to me? I cared for her. I trusted her! I loved her!!

---

It was a hard week for me. I couldn't get over of what Hyeyeon did to me but I couldn't distract myself from practices. I was thankful there would be no collaborations from the other branch yet I was hurting inside.

"Mina? Are you okay?" It was Hyeri-unnie.

"Ne..." I said...ever though I was lying again.

"She isn't again." And then came LNayoung-unnie.

(L)Nayoung-unnie, Chungha-unnie, and Hyeri-unnie were my closest friends in our dance troupe. They treated me as their precious maknae and they knew almost a lot about me. It was risky at first but they were trustworthy...and yes...they knew about my break-up with Hyeyeon.

"I never thought the maknae of the couple could do that," said Chungha-unnie.

"True...but the important thing is that we have to be here for our maknae," said (L)Nayoung-unnie.

"That's right. Now...smile for us, Mina~" Hyeri-unnie pinched my cheeks.

And I did. They smiled with me and I was thankful for being there in my troubles.

"Come on. Let's practice," said Chungha-unnie.

"Also, we have a meeting later. Now come on and dance~~" Hyeri-unnie the music and danced.

I nodded and danced with them. They were right. I need to move on and start focusing on what's at hand.

---

(L)Nayoung-unnie, Chungha-unnie, Hyeri-unnie and I were rushing towards an underground lair inside our university. We typed the password to the base and managed to get inside with seventeen other people waiting for us.

"Finally you got here," said Sira-unnie.

"Mianhe." We apologized.

"It's fine, guys. Now sit down." Sohee-unnie said.

We nodded and got to our seats. Sira-unnie was at the front. Being the eldest of our group, she led us throughout our years in this university.

"Welcome, University Avengers. I have gathered everyone today for two agendas: we'll have a new member and we'll discuss about the upcoming Hallyu Games."

We all mumbled. It has been a while since we had a new member. Eunwoo was the recent recruit and we were excited for another new member.

"To introduce her to us, we have our top athletes." Sira-unnie gave the floor to them.

Doyeon went to the podium as (P)Soyeon and Somi had the new member, her head covered in a red cloth of satin. I sighed for it was one of the initiation rites.

"The new member was born on July 19, 1999. She was an aspiring actress for one year but later transferred here at this university...and became a volleyball player." The last words hit me.

'Volleyball? Could it be...'

"She, together with the top athletes of our university, will represent this name for the Hallyu Games. She plays an important role in the field of sports, specifically in volleyball...for she is the best libero of the team."

I gasped as Chaeyeon-unnie came up the podium and took the cloth off of the new member's face. All of us applauded while I was shocked.

"Our new member is the university's  libero in volleyball, Kim Sohye." Doyeon ended and we all clapped once more.

'Kim Sohye...oh my...' I was fangirling again.

I saw Sohye bowing and looking at the crowd, greeting some of them. We had eye contact and she waved at me. I was stunned...yet I waved back. I gulped and felt my heart beating so fast.

'She's so cute~♡'

"Welcome to the University Avengers, Kim Sohye. You may sit anywhere you like now for we will discuss of the Hallyu Games." Sira-unnie said.

"Ne." Sohye said.

I was in awe, hearing her speak for the first time. I lost my focus again and listened to Sira-unnie and Haein-unnie discuss. I didn't notice much of my surroundings when I fidgeted. I looked to my side to see Sohye sitting next to me. I squeal in my thoughts but in reality...

"Hello?" A hand waved in front of my face.

"Uh...hello..." I bowed while she shook hands with me.

'Wow...her hands are so soft...'

"You must be Kang Mina, one of the best dancers in the UAs. It's nice to finally meet you." She smiled.

I was flattered. I would've said the same thing to her but I couldn't believe she knew me. My crush knows me!! ♡♡♡

"Yeah...and I'm glad to finally meet you too. I saw you train with your team at the arena yesterday." I said and made a mental note to slap myself of my sudden confession.

"Really? Well...we've been preparing and I have been playing for a while." She said, flattered.

'She's even cute when she's shy ♡♡♡'

We stopped there as we listened to the discussion. Sohye was still next to me, listening as much as me. I was still fangirling in my head and I hope I get to know her better.

---

The days went by. We often had our classes but we had a lot of practices. Our practices were straightforward that sometimes we manage to see the top athletes train as the sports were the highlight of the event. My unnies come with me and I frequently saw Yeonjung supporting her girlfriend. The four of us sat next to her as we watch the athletes.

"Somi's off the hook!" Chungha-unnie pointed at her doing a full kick.

"You're here to see (P)Soyeon. You don't have to hide it, Chungha," said LNayoung-unnie.

Chungha-unnie blushed. Well, they were official about three days ago. I noticed Soyeon with a bunch of roses on her hands as we were done practicing. Then, I saw her confess to Chungha-unnie and they were official, just like Doyeon and Yeonjung.

"Check out the volleyball team!" Hyeri-unnie pointed.

My eyes were quick as I scanned the members. Sohye was one of the 'first five' in their team and did the first serve. All of us were focused on the game...except for Yeonjung, as always...

"Sohye's sets are really good." Hyeri-unnie did a thumbs-up.

"Her services are good too. I hope we see her as a forward soon. I wonder how she does her spikes," said Chungha-unnie.

She diverted her eyes towards the swimming pool as the three of us continued to watch the game. My eyes were mostly on Sohye as she counterattacks all hits. And the one thing that wowed me was that she did a spike and the opposing team missed it, making her team win.

"Good game!!" I heard their coach.

The three of us applauded. I cheered and my three unnies cooed at me.

"Mina and Sohye~" They chanted.

"Yah! Stop it!!" I whined.

"Who's gotta crush on Sohye~?" Chungha-unnie chanted.

"Mina's gotta crush on Sohye~" (L)Nayoung-unnie and Hyeri-unnie teased.

Yeonjung joined in the teasing and made up a song about it. I shushed them while blushing, afraid that Sohye might hear it. All of the athletes finished their training as I noticed some people waiting for them.

"Heehyun-unnie's here? And she's with Chaeyeon?!" Hyeri-unnie gasped.

"Also for the artist Choi Yoojung. Wow... two vitamins in a relationship," said Chungha-unnie.

"Some couples we're seeing...all from our group." (L)Nayoung-unnie mumbled.

"Also us...right?" Chungha-unnie raised an eyebrow at us.

"(L)Nayoung has the pipa player, I have the swimmer, Yeonjung got the tennis player, even Hyeri here has Sohee the singer." She added and the rest blushed, except me.

"Well, I got nobody." I pouted.

"You will get somebody soon enough." Yeonjung nudged me and pointed at Sohye.

"Yeonjung-ah." Doyeon called.

Yeonjung bid us goodbye and went to her girlfriend. They kissed and went on their way. Chungha-unnie went next, getting a text from Soyeon to meet her at the shower rooms.

"I gotta pick up Pinky from the other branch. See ya." (L)Nayoung-unnie went ahead.

"So it's just the two of us, unnie." I said.

"On second thought, I'm just going to find Sohee-unnie and leave you two lovebirds." She cooed, referring to me and Sohye.

"What?!" I yelled as Hyeri-unnie ran, leaving me.

'That's just great.'

"Is this seat taken?" I heard a voice and was in a shock.

I was startled but when it was just Sohye, I was nervous. She already changed. I could smell her cool perfume and she was wiping sweat with her face towel. I almost mouthed the word 'wow'.

"Uhh...no..." I answered.

She smiled at me and sat next to me. I felt so awkward to sit next to her and fiddled my fingers to distract myself from the tension.

"What brings you to the arena?" She asked.

"My friends came here to support their girlfriends." I answered.

"Woah." She reacted, looking so cool.

"Actually, that shouldn't be of an exaggeration. This is an all-girls university after all," said Sohye.

"True." I replied again.

"So...you're waiting for someone?" She asked me again.

"No. I just...want to sit for a while, think about the competition..." I babbled.

"Yeah. The arena is a relaxing place. Sometimes I contemplate after a good game..." She said.

I giggled. I look at her rubbing her arms, having bruises from all the hits she counterattacks in every game. I held her arms and grew worried. The both of us froze, getting awkward once more.

"Sorry." I let go and looked away, blushing hard.

She chuckled. I felt a hand holding mine. I look at her again and she gave me her charming smile.

"It's fine. I got used to these bruises." She said.

"Mind me for the sudden approach. I just grew worried. I never thought you had to go through a lot to be the best." I said to her.

"Yeah. You felt it too, right? I mean think about it. I heard from my team that you are the best dancer in the university. You had to go through tough training and became the person you are now. I guess that's just people and goals..." She said again.

I've never been moved by such words before. And I never thought I could get this close to Sohye. She felt like a good person, someone that I can trust...maybe better than Hyeyeon.

'Hyeyeon...'

I almost moved back, remembering her white lies. I couldn't get it off of my head quickly that I could almost cry in front of Sohye.

"Are you okay, Mina?"

I was going back to reality when Sohye gave me her worried look. I felt a drop of water in my head as it started to rain. We hastily moved towards the shaded bleachers as Sohye shielded me with her big towel. We managed to get to shelter as Sohye wiped herself. I was so grateful but Sohye got wet again...

"Yah...y-you shouldn't have-"

"It's fine." She smiled as she wiped her drenched hair.

Roaring thunder filled my hearing and I yelped, grabbing onto Sohye. I gulped and froze, my heart beating quickly. I prayed Sohye wouldn't hear my heartbeat and see my red face.

"It's okay...don't be scared." She pats my back.

That was hearthwarming. Hyeyeon never does that to me. Sure it would remind me of her but something felt so different in Sohye. I felt...safer...and being taken care of...

"Thanks, Sohye..." I said, hugging her.

It was a sudden start for us. She chuckled and felt her hug me back. It might take time to heal my wounds but I hope that we could finally be friends.

---

We were giving our best in practicing for the Hallyu Games. Usually the practice go smoothly and straightforward but on this session, it was a bit different.

"Attention, everyone. May I have your attention, please?" (L)Nayoung-unnie said and we all listened.

"We will initiate a crowd test. One of our students will watch us perform and they will rate us according to our performance." She began.

"Where's the crowd?" I asked.

"Who's the crowd?" Hyeri-unnie asked.

(L)Nayoung called for the people to come out. We wowed. It was the volleyball team!! Some of us cheered to the extreme, especially to Sohye and Katherine.

"What an honor..." Hyeri-unnie mumbled.

"I know right?" (L)Nayoung-unnie said to her.

"You should invite our swimming team next time. My Soyeon needs to see me." Chungha-unnie said.

(L)Nayoung-unnie went down and shook hands with Katherine Lee, the captain of the team and the youngest captain in the history of our university's volleyball team. They talked of some things as the rest of the team sat down. Some of our dancers were fangirling of their favorite players. But me? I was honored yet happy to see Sohye.

"Mina." Sohye called, waving at me.

I blushed lightly and smiled, waving back at her. Some dancers cooed that I was luckty to get personal with the best libero. I smiled and went towards my unnies, squealing silently.

"Lucky you~" Hyeri-unnie cooed.

"She finally got noticed by her crush~" Chungha-unnie cooed with her.

"Alright, girls. Formation!" (L)Nayoung-unnie called.

We nodded and went to our formation. I was at the center and I huffed my breath as the music was played. With an audience watching us, we had to perform at our best. I could glimpse some of the players and they wowed. Katherine was applauding as Sohye watched in astonishment. As the dance ended, all of them applauded. I looked straight onto Sohye and gave her a wink. Sohye was befuddled and clapped louder than her fellow players. I laughed in my thoughts, finding her so adorable. We lined up and (L)Nayoung-unnie asked them of our performance. Most of them said that it was already good. Katherine commented some points, which we really consider the most. And lastly, Sohye also said some comments like Katherine. But then...

"It'a such a privilege to see the best dancers of this university of their performance, especially Kang Mina. You really are the best dancer. And for all of you, I love your passion towards dancing. May this lead to a championship in the Hallyu Games!" She cheered and we all applauded.

She sat back down, getting a hi-five from all her fellow players. (L)Nayoung-unnie went to talk with Katherine again as my fellow dancers cooed at me, especially my unnies.

"That was legit. The cutie libero admires our star dancer~!" Chungha-unnie said.

"Unnie, you're so lucky~" Eunbean said.

"I wish I felt that too. You got the best of the best in the volleyball team, unnie. You're so lucky~" Younseo said.

"Okay. That would be it for our practice. And one more thing, Katherine Lee also gave us the privilege to see their preliminary game against our other team in the branch campus. We will be at the arena by Friday to witness their game." (L)Nayoung-unnie said as we all cheered.

All of us readied and packed our things, ready to leave. I saw Sohye still sitting with Katherine that I went closer to them and sat next to Sohye.

"See you at practice, Sohye-unnie. That was a wonderful dance, Mina-unnie." Katherine bid us goodbye.

We both waved our hands and got awkward again. But now, I feel really happy to see her.

"Hi." I said.

"Hey." She replied.

"You're waiting for someone?" I asked her.

"Yeah...you." She replied and I was flustered.

"M-Me?" I pointed to myself and she nodded.

"This might be too sudden but I wanted to treat you. There's this ddeokbokki restaurant and I got a coupon worth two meals. I could ask Katherine but she's busy. But honestly, I wanted to treat you." Sohye responded.

"But if you're busy, it's fine if you don't want to-"

"Sure. I'll go out with you." I said suddenly.

"Really?" 

One thing for sure, my response was too sudden as well. Seriously, I just knew Kim Sohye. I know her as a volleyball player but never a friend, more or less an acquaintance. What happened yesterday at the arena was almost out of the topic and I am making sure not to get twisted with someone again. But something in me wanted to get to know her better.

"Really." I nodded.

"Okay. Shall we go?" She asked.

We both stood up and exitted the auditorium. She lets me out first and she followed, us walking side by side. It was a silent walk for the both of us until we reached the ddeokbokki restaurant. She lets me sit down first then she sat by me, facing me. I was in awe of Sohye. I compared her to my ex and she was respectful that not even my ex could offer me a seat and would seat first.

"Pick your order." She said.

"Can I really pick what I want?" I asked and she nodded.

"Okay. I'll have this one." I pointed to a big serving of ddeokbokki.

"Alright." She replied and stood up.

"What about yours?" I asked.

"Don't worry. I'll order at the counter," she said.

I nodded as she went to the counter. I felt so nervous of this but this was my greatest opportunity. Here I am, having a little encounter and got treated by my crush ♡. I watch Sohye again as she came back and sat down. I fiddled my fingers again and saw her rub her arms. They were covered with bandages as she massages them lightly.

"You've been practicing a lot." I started conversation.

"Yeah. Katherine may be our maknae but she's serious as much as I am. I have to give my all everyday," said Sohye.

"You practice everyday?" I ask.

"Yeah, together with other athletes. Sometimes I see one of your unnies, supporting their girlfriends...at least that what I heard from Doyeon." She answered.

"Chungha-unnie usually goes there to see (P)Soyeon. I even have a friend, Yeonjung, who supports her girlfriend, Doyeon." I said.

"The blond girl with hamster-like cheeks? And I knew Yeonjung since Doyeon and I are close friends," said Sohye.

"That's Chungha-unnie." I answered and we chuckled.

Our order finally came. We ate heartily and talked random things. I knew already her name and age but I never thought she was five months older than me. I also talked some stuff about her from my birthdate to my favorite hobbies. Then the talk came to a serious note wherein...

"Do you have someone? Boyfriend or girlfriend, maybe?"

"None..." She said, sipping her drink.

"Seriously?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah. I was too focused on my studies and volleyball." She said, making me chuckle.

"How about you?" She asked.

I froze, almost dropping my fork. I was reminded of that event again. I felt a hand holding mine. I gazed at Sohye and she looked at me with apologetic eyes.

"I'm sorry if I might trigger your memory. It's okay if you don't want to talk about it." She answered.

She lets go of my hand when I grab it again. I sighed. I made a mental note in the past not to talk about it to anyone.  I even saw people a threat once I was reminded but Sohye was respectful to me.

"I don't want to." I pouted as I look at her eyes.

"Okay." Sohye nodded.

She's so sweet. We continued to eat as my hold on her hand was still intact. I even caressed her arm as I felt the bandaged and thought of the bruises hidden beneath. I finished my meal just like her and thought about all this. Why am I getting a bit clingy to my crush? Why am I almost getting personal? We just knew each other two days ago and now this happened.

"Mind me for the sudden approach again." I apologized.

"It's okay, really. I don't mind." Sohye answered.

I became intrigued of Sohye. She looks devoted on her passion yet solaced in the true world of people. In general, she's a good person, making me admire her more.

"Are you done? Shall we go?" She asks of my assurance and I found it so precious.

"Yeah." I gave her my crescent smiles

"Wait. You got something in..." She had her hanky and wiped something out of the corner of my lips.

I was stunned. I did my best not to blush but my heart was beating quickly.I looked at the stained hanky as Sohye folded it and placed it inside her pocket.

"Thanks, Sohye."

"No problem." Sohye responded.

She gave the coupon to the counter and went back at the table. She lended a hand to me and I held it as we exitted the restaurant. I pulled towards the bus stop and she didn't mind about it again. Seriously, how is Sohye a very kind person?

"Where do you live?" I ask.

"Just right there by the hill. It's just a walking distance." Sohye pointed to a hill not far from where they are.

"I see. I still have to wait for the bus," I said.

"I'll wait with you." She smiled.

"You don't have to. You just treated me and with volleyball practice, you might get tired." I said again.

"It's okay for me. But if you want to be alone, I understand." Sohye responded again.

"I'm fine by company. I'm just worried about you and your health." I said.

"So...you want me to wait with you or you want to be alone?" Sohye asked.

"No. I want you to stay..." I said, holding her hand.

"Okay." Sohye nodded and held back.

We sat by the benches and waited. I took a glimpse of Sohye and smiled. I leaned onto her shoulder, feeling her freeze. But she sighed and stood still. It made me admire her to the extent. How could GOD leave her single? She deserves to have someone in her life. Anyone who would date her would be so blessed. But me? My oogling towards Sohye was just all in mere sight but now, I got to talk to her, know her, and even got this close to her.

"Mina, the bus is here."

I stood up with her and said my goodbye before I climbed aboard. I sat by the window to see Sohye wait until I was off.

"See you?" I mouthed.
 
She gave me a nod. I waved my hand and she waved back. I watch from afar as she walked home. I had my hands on my chest and sighed. I giggled as I thought of our friendship. With the Hallyu Games coming and of their preliminary game, that privilege was the best opportunity in my life. I opened my phone with a photo of her from Choi Yoojung as my home screen and thought:

'See you again, Kim Sohye ♡♡♡♡♡♡'

---

Another session of practice has finished. All of us packed our stuff and we went to a bus reserved for us. Sohye's preliminary game was today as we were spectators for the said game. We aboarded the bus and were so excited. Some of our dancers were already fangirling and betting on their favorite players. Most of them betted for Sohye and I was like them.

"The game's gonna be awesome," said (L)Nayoung-unnie.

"Please, unnie. You're just excited because of Kyulkyung," said Hyeri-unnie, making (L)Nayoung-unnie blush.

"But Mina here's excited to see Sohye~"  Chungha-unnie cooed as I was the one blushing.

"I heard from Sejeong that she saw you and her by the ddeokbokki restaurant." She whispered and the three of them squealed.

"She treated you, right? How was it?" (L)Nayoung-unnie asked, unexpected for a Stone Buddha.

"Share it to us!" Hyeri-unnie said.

"She treated me food. We talked and what really made it the best day of my life was that she's a very kind and sweet person. My 'crush senses' were finally correct." I said and they squealed.

"Our baby Mina has fallen in love." Chungha-unnie cooed.

'Is Chungha-unnie right? Are my feelings developing for Sohye?'

"You're right. I may be a bit crazy right now but...she could be the one for you." (L)Nayoung-unnie's words caught me off-guard.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"In comparison to your first who's now your ex, Sohye is the exact opposite. She respects you, she treated you almost like a cute cinammon princess, and she even waited for you despite of the time." Chungha-unnie said.

"And despite of suddenly knowing each other, she shows a good example. Honestly Mina, you two look really cute together," said Hyeri-unnie.

"But mind you this, Mina. Don't get too attached yet. Give it time for the two of you to know each other. As your closest unnies, we don't want our closest maknae to get hurt again." LNayoung-unnie said and the unnies nodded.

"Okay, unnie." I said as I hugged the three of them.

We arrived at the other campus. Katherine was waiting for us and we followed her towards the arena. The rest of us saw the volleyball team once more as I checked on somebody. Katherine patted my back and said:


"Sohye-unnie is still at the shower room, Mina-unnie. She'll be here soon."

"Why are you having this preliminary game, Katherine?" Chungha-unnie asked.

"Our head coach noticed potential players in this branch that she wanted us to compete with them. Most of the students protested, saying that we were already the best team. But the head coach has decided. If one of us wins, they will compete for the Hallyu Games," said Katherine.

"That's nuts. Your team has the best players. Even if there are new players, the level of experience they have is nothing compared to your team's." Hyeri-unnie said her opinion and most of the players agreed.

"True. But then we will do our best to win. We don't want to disappoint our audience and our libero." Katherine said.

"Sohye's really into her passion." I uttered.

"Yeah. She even told me that we really have to do the best for all of you, especially for you, unnie." She added, pointing at me.

I chuckled lightly and blushed. My unnies and the rest cooed.

"We heard from someone that our libero treated you as if you were dating." She began.

"Kim Sejeong?" Chungha-unnie guessed as Katherine nodded.

"(L)Nayoung-unnie, have a mental note to tell your counterpart what her girlfriend has done." She added and (L)Nayoung-unnie nodded.

The team went to the court to stretch as the rest of the dancers went to one of the benches to watch. Being the captain,  Katherine was still with us as Sohye came to our direction. I wowed. She looks so pretty.

"Annyeonghaseyo." She greeted all of us and my unnies greeted back.

"Hello, Mina." She said and waved at me.

"Hi." I waved back and the rest cooed.

"Have the opponents arrived?" She asked Katherine.

"Not yet, unnie, but they'll be here any minute. How about you accompany Mina-unnie while I the unnies at the bench to get a good view of the game?" She instructed her unnie and Sohye nodded.

Katherine escorted my unnies, leaving me with Sohye. We shared our smiles as I held her arms, showing a lot of bruises.

"How are your arms?" I asked.

"A bit bad. Some bruises healed but I get a new batch of them everyday," said Sohye.

"Don't play too much. Not only you'll get bruises, you might get an injury." I said worriedly.

"I know. But I have to give my all for this game. I don't want to let the team down." Sohye said to me.

"Okay. I got some ointment. Let me heal those bruises afterwards, okay?" I offered and she nodded.

*whistle*

"Come on." She lent a hand and I held onto it.

We headed towards the benches when I froze. I saw someone just now. Chungha-unnie went closer to me as Sohye asked worriedly:

"Mina, is something wrong?"

"Hyeyeon's a volleyball player?!" Hyeri-unnie came closer too as Chungha-unnie calmed me down.

"You know Cho Hyeyeon? She was a former dancer here but transferred to the sports department as a volleyball player." Sohye said.

"She's-"

"She's my ex." I mumbled and my unnies were shocked.

Sohye gasped a little. Everything was sudden again but Sohye had to know. I trust her to know this. But as I saw Sohye's look, I know I have to explain everything now but she still has a game to play.

"Sohye..." I held her hand.

"It's okay if you don't want to watch. I don't want you feeling uncomfortable." Sohye said.

"Aww~♡" My unnies said.

"I want to. I want to watch your team play and win. I want to watch YOU play." I said as I held her hand again.

"Okay. But you may tell your unnies that you want to go. It's fine by me and my team," said Sohye, patting my head.

She pats my back and went to the field. My unnies hid me from Hyeyeon's sight until we got to the bench. As we sat down, Chungha-unnie comforted me.

"That was really brave of you to tell it to Sohye," she said.

"And as far as we saw, Sohye is such a charmer. She's cute and has a good heart," said Hyeri-unnie.

"Oooh~ I'm going to tell Sohee-unnie of this. Sohye belongs to Mina, okay?"

Chungha-unnie teased as Hyeri-unnie shook her head. We heard the whistle and we were all excited for the game to start. Sohye did the first serve as the game went smoothly. They got points altetnatively. Well, Hyeyeon did play good but she was far from Sohye's league. I didn't want to see the likes of Hyeyeon after everything she did and only focused on Sohye. When the scores reached 15 for both teams, we were feeling intense. I was cheering for Sohye but made sure not to let Hyeyeon hear. She was really good, making sure all hits are blocked. I also saw how serious Sohye can be. She was really cute outside but turned into a serious volleyball chick in the court. And when Sohye's team won the first set, we were happy. 


"Change court!!"

I gulped. Hyeyeon's team is at our side of the benches. Chungha-unnie made a notion to move to the other side of the benches to get a better view. But as I moved, Hyeyeon glimpsed at me and finally saw me. She was shocked, her eyes dilated and her conscience unaware of the game.

"Cho Hyeyeon!!" One of her teammates slapped her head to focus on the game.

I was busted but went to the other side to get a good view of Sohye's team anyway. I was excited again as I watch Sohye's flawless gameplay. The score was 11-9, with Sohye's team leading again. They did the switch and I cheered her. Sohye smiled and nodded then played again. I watch the ball move alternatively and I also noticed that the impact grew stronger. Sohye managed to counterattack their shot but then, she was panting. I watch her rub her arms and Katherine checking on her. Sohye brushed it off, saying she was fine. They played again as Hyeyeon served. The serve went in but it was too quick. One of Sohye's teammates blocked the shot but she fell. The game continued and Hyeyeon's team scored. The fallen member was injured and was substituted.
"I have a bad feeling about this game." Chungha-unnie came and sat next to me.

"Unnie, Hyeyeon saw me." I confessed.

"What?!" She was shocked.

"I guess my presence triggered her to play violently. Look..." I pointed to the injured member in Sohye's team.

We watch the game again. As the ball went towards Hyeyeon, she delivered a strong spike. Sohye's teammates blocked them but they were substituted everytime.

"This is crazy! Why isn't the referee seeing this?!" I was flipping out.

"This is bad..." Chungha-unnie mumbled.

The coach of our team was complaining to the referee. There was a timeout as both teams huddled up. Chungha-unnie nudged me to get up and walk away as she went towards us.

"Mina." She called and I froze.

"Mina..." Chungha-unnie grew worried.

"Unnie, go back to the other side of the benches. I'll take it from here. Please..." I pleaded.

Chungha-unnie nodded and went. I sighed as I faced the person whom I've avoided for almost a week.

"Mina..."

"Hey, Hyeyeon." I greeted her coldly.

"Mina." She tackled me for a hug.

I didn't hug her back and pushed her off of me. She asked how I was and I snickered:

"I've been great ever since you cheated on me."

"Mina...I'm sorry. But I'm not like that anymore." Hyeyeon said sadly.

"Really?" I asked sarcastically.

"I broke up with my girlfriend. I try to call you and text you but you wouldn't answer and reply. I really miss you."

"You should've thought of that sooner before you cheated on me." I said, crossing my arms.

"Mina-"

"Stop it, okay? I've treated you like you were everything but think about how you repaid me. You're rude to me, you don't treat me well and you even had the guts to lie to me?! What did you think?! That I was gonna come back to you?! Face the facts, Hyeyeon. We're through!!" I yelled, pushing her away.

A teammate of hers went to us and pulled her to play. I huffed, trying to bear my tears as my unnies went to comfort me.

"We should go home." (L)Nayoung-unnie said.

"But I want to watch Sohye play." I reasoned.

"Now's not a good time. Next time, okay?" Chungha-unnie reasoned back.

"I won't think about Hyeyeon anymore. I came here to see Sohye play and nothing else. Please, unnie..."

"Okay. But if she makes you cry one more time, we're going home." Hyeri-unnie said and I nodded.

I saw Sohye resting as her teammates played. She was substituted with another libero as she rubbed her arms. I had the ointment in my pocket and wanted to mend her bruises when Chungha-unnie shook her head.

"Don't call her. If she plays again, Hyeyeon will target her because of you two together."

"I'll call her and you can mend her bruises at their sports room." Hyeri-unnie said, going to Sohye.

I went ahead and went inside in Room 1. It was their sports room. I saw the cleanliness of their lockers and found Sohye's locker. It was open, showing her selcas and pictures of penguins.

"Mina?"

I turned around and saw Sohye. I smiled and went to her, holding her arm and making her sit down. I held her arm and got the bandages off of her arms. I gasped as I saw her fresh bruises. I grabbed the ointment and applied some on those bruises. She winced of the sudden touch.

"Sorry. Am I too rough?" I asked.

"It's okay..." She said.

I applied pressure, hoping the blood clot would ease a little. She winced a lot and I grew pity and worried for her. I managed to finish mending her bruises and wanted to apply a new bandage.

"They're in my locker." She said, huffing.

I nodded and found the bandage. I stopped when I saw her pictures. She was with the UA athletes and they were still little. I shook my head and went back to Sohye, wrapping the new bandage around her arms.

"You knew the UA athletes before?" I asked.

"You saw the picture? Yeah, we're childhood friends and Somi is our maknae. I was separated from them because of acting training. And when I stopped, they recommended me to study here, technically in the main branch." Sohye answered.

"Done." I said.

"Thanks, Mina." She smiled at me.

"You're welcome." I said, holding her arms softly.

"Aren't you playing?" I added.

"Katherine will let me play in the third set. And by the looks in our situation and the final whistle, the opponent wins the second set. I have to go and play the last set." Sohye said as she stood up to play.

"You don't have to." I held her hand before she could go.

"I have to, Mina. It's for my team. We have this passion to compete for the name of the university and I'm playing." Sohye said again.

"Sohye, no! You're gonna get hurt." I grew more worried for Sohye.

"I can take the pain, Mina. Don't worry. Me and the team are going to win and you'll be watching me." Sohye reasoned.

"Sohye-unnie! You're up!" Katherine called.

Sohye nodded. I couldn't let go, afraid that Hyeyeon might hurt her a lot in the next game. Sohye sighed and did something: she kissed my forehead.

"I'll be off." She said and left.

I was caught off-guard. My heart beated fast again. I could squeal to the world that my crush kissed me in the forehead. But instead, I could giggle and got out to watch Sohye play.

---

The third set was too epic. Sohye's team had the advantage of having good players, making the interval of substitution short. For Hyeyeon's team, they were exhausted and ran out of bench warmers. And by the looks of the game, Hyeyeon and Sohye were on a one-on-one battle.

"The score's all tied up." Hyeri-unnie said.

"Bets are all on Sohye's team," said (L)Nayoung-unnie and all of us agreed.

Sohye served as the game got intense once again. Both teams defend their side of the field with no exception of letting their opponents score. Hyeyeon spiked. We were done for...when Sohye managed to block it and it got in, setting the scores 25-24.

'They won...'

And we all cheered. Our team won!! Sohye's team won!! The members cheered and huddled up despite of their injuries. I looked to where Sohye was and there she was, lying down the court. I grew so worried that I went to her and checked on her. I didn't care if Hyeyeon saw us. I had to check on her.

"Sohye-ya!!" I held her face, nudging her to wake up.

She opened her eyes and smiled. She winced. Her arms must've given in to the pain that she couldn't move them.

"We won?" She asked me.

"We won." I smiled at her. 

Sohye sighed. I giggled, patting her cheeks lightly. Her teammates lifted her and cheered. I could only watch with my fellow dancers and we felt happy. For me, I felt happy for Sohye.

"Cute, isn't it?" (L)Nayoung-unnie asked.

"Yeah. You know unnie, she kissed my forehead." I giggled and my unnies gasped.

"Aweeeee~" Chungha-unnie squealed.

"I bet you two will be together," said Hyeri-unnie.

I chuckled. Well, she was right of one thing. I had the interest that I wanted to be with Sohye.

*two months later*

The Hallyu Games was a big event. Everyone managed to witness every event, even the athletes. One example is that Sohye supported me in my dance competition.

*after the competition*

"Hey, penguin." I hugged her tight.

"Hi. You did great." Sohye gave me a thumbs-up.

"Really? Did you see me wink...and bite my lip at you?" I whispered the last part and kissed her cheek.

"I did." She said, her face as red as a tomato.

"How could I not support my girlfriend now?" She added and I show her my crescent smiles.

Yes. Sohye and I became official. We both shared our confessions after the preliminary game. It was a bit risky and sudden. But Sohye? She treated me like a precious stone. She waited for me to accept, which also took me a month to say yes. And when I did, she was so happy. I felt happy too, knowing I had someone who really cared for me. I was blessed to have Sohye, which gave me a mental note to love her as much as she loved me.

"Are you finished?" She asked me.

"Ne. Treat me food, my penguin. I'm hungry~" I pouted.

"Okay." She replied and I hugged her again.

---

The most important highlight of the athletics was volleyball. A lot of students and teachers watched the game and my Sohye was always playing. As a supportive girlfriend, I sat at a good spot to cheer her on. (L)Nayoung-unnie, Chungha-unnie, Hyeri-unnie, Doyeon, PSoyeon, Yeonjung, Yoojung, and Somi joined me. During her substitution, I was always there to check on her. I even noticed Hyeyeon by the benches. We moved on towards each other but I didn't look at her the same way again.

"How can Hyeyeon be here?" I asked Sohye.

"She's still part of the team. Maybe she'll take over as captain after Katherine," said Sohye.

"She won't. YOU will be captain. I just know it." I said as she chuckled.

She played again and managed to turn the tables into their favor, which made them win. In general, our university was the overall champion.

---

*Third Person POV

"That's not how it happened!" Sejeong whined.

"Yes it is." Chungha said back.

"It did turn that way," said Sohye, emphasizing Chungha's opinion.

The three of them laughed as a pair or arms wrapped around Sohye.

"Hey, penguin." Mina squished Sohye's cheek.

"I'm out." Chungha raised her hands and went out.

"You're restricted to make out yet the cheesy things you do are annoying enough," said Sejeong as she left the two.

Mina shrugged and wrapped her arms around Sohye. They exchange their 'hi's and planted each other's kisses.

"Too cheesy~" Somi whined.

"Mina's ing on Sohye again." Doyeon came in with Yeonjung.

"No, I'm not!" She protested, pinching Sohye's cheeks.

"Let's do it too?" Yeonjung smirked as Doyeon blushed.

"Disgusting." Somi went with the rest of her unnies.

" off too, Yeonjung. Gimme some alone time with my penguin." Mina pouted and Sohye could only laugh.

"But we're both in the branch of performing arts dating athletes." Yeonjung pouted.

"Let's go somewhere else. And Mina? Tell Sohye she should work out again. She's getting flabs again!" Doyeon said as she pulled Yeonjung towards her and they leave the couple.

As the door closed in front of them, Sohye felt something heavy on her lap. She watched Mina already sitting up her lap as she asked.

"Should I really start working out?"

"You know Doyeon pranks you a lot. Besides, you still got a six pack from all your games and training." Mina said as she held onto Sohye's stomach.

"Marry me, Oppa~♡" She added, making a kissy face at Sohye.

"You're revolting. I'll marry you soon enough, alright? Priorities first." Sohye said as Mina laughed.

"How about me? Should I diet?" Mina asked her.

"It's your choice, Mina. But for me, you can without doing much effort. You're body's fine. You look hot already." Sohye said.

"You and your words..." Mina mumbled and pecked her lips.

"You think our relationship will be the same as mine with Hyeyeon?" Mina asked.

Sohye was caught off-guard. She would be jealous and scold Mina for saying that in front of her but she knew her girlfriend was just curious.

"We'll face some problems like, seriously,  that cannot be predicted but we'll get through them. And even if you get mad at me forever, I won't stop caring for you." Sohye said her 'words' again.

Mina wrapped her arms around Sohye. Sohye held her waist as they were about to share their kiss when...

"Time's up, you two! There's still more couples waiting here!!" They both stopped and faced the door to see Yoojung.

"er." Mina threatened her.

Yoojung gulped. Somi laughed and pulled her girlfriend outside. Sohye reprimanded her of her language and Mina does her apologetic pout. You think Sohye can resist that? She stop resisting thanks to her.

"My penguin...and my precious libero." Mina mumbled as she plants soft kisses on Sohye's cheek.

She ended it by placing her head on Sohye's shoulder. Sohye hugged her back as she placed a kiss on her head and caressed her hair. The rest of their friends took a peek and they found them so sweet. For (L)Nayoung, Chungha, and Hyeri, they were so happy to see their maknae blooming again. She went down of a break-up and as Sohye came, her shattered pieces formed her broken heart and with love, that heart became intact and beated once more.

---

Aspirants who study. That's what they were all are. For them, their passion of their fields didn't not hinder them to find their other half. A dancer got lost in that field yet found a new and better field thanks to a libero...her penguin libero...

 

That was the fifth, everyone. ^^ Sorry it took a while to publish. A broken phone plus mobile data is of no help at all.

@yunkaer: Here's your request, my friend...

@hccc49: Yours will be in the next one-shot.

Keep them suggestions coming, everyone.