Gotta Catch Her Heart

IOI Shikshins One-Shot Collection

"Eomma, I'm going out!" A cheerful girl yelled as she rushed to pack her stuff.

"Okay. Don't come home late!" Her mother yelled back from the kitchen

Kang Mina, 16 years old, was rushing outside, her phone on her hand. She scrolled to search for an app and opened it:

Pokémon GO

It was the trendiest game in SoKor. Almost everyone with a smartphone plays it and Mina managed to join the majority of the population who plays it. It was a major reason for her cheerfulness and her loss of weight from time to time. And now, she's walking around and catching some cute Pokémon.

*ring*

Mina saved her game and wondered of her call. She looked at her phone as she got a call from Somi.

"Y'hello?"

"Don't make a pun of an Instinct, Valor!" Somi said on the other line.

"I'm just kidding. What makes you call me and disturb my game?" Mina asked her.

"I called you because we're meeting with the squad. I got news that Chungha-unnie is transferring on our team because Team Mystic will have a new member." Somi answered.

"Alright. When and where?" Mina asked again.

"At the Han River by 2 P.M." Somi answered again.

"Okay. See you there." Mina agreed and hung up.

Mina managed to continue her game and travelled around town. She would disregard the ugly ones and would always catch basic cute Pokémon. Her recent stop was at the conveniece store wherein she would catch a Pikachu. Mina found it so cute and was about to catch it when someone caught it first.

"Hey!" Mina whined.

She looked up and she saw an innocent girl. She gulped. Her heart went involuntary as she thought that the girl was so pretty.

"Did you want that Pikachu? I'm sorry if I caught it first. But I detected one by the corner. I'll show you." She smiled at her.

Mina was dazed but followed her anyway. They went to the corner and Mina detected the Pikachu she was talking about. She caught it and felt victorious and grateful.

"Thanks." Mina smiled at the girl.

"You're welcome." She answered back.

"I'm off to somewhere now." The girl said.

"What's your name?" Mina asked before she could go.

"Kim Sohye." She shook hands with Mina.

"Kang Mina." Mina introduced herself.

"Nice meeting you, Mina." Sohye waved and went off.

Mina smiled. She checked her Pokedex and was admiring her catch of cute Pokémon. At the back of her mind, she couldn't get her eye off of the girl. She hoped she will see her soon.

---

Mina was at the Han River and met her squad. They were in their teams as she joined up with hers.

"Our cutie Mina!" Kyulkyung cheered.

"Annyeonhaseyo~~" Mina sang.

"Lemme check your Pokédex!" Chaeyeon cheered.

"Nayoung-unnie and her Rock Type Pokémon." Kyulkyung mumbled.

"Yah! Rock Type Pokémon fit me. And besides, Kyulkyung has one of those 'couple' Pokémon again," said Nayoung.

"She and Doyeon have these couple Pokemon. She has a Nidoqueen, a Flareon, even a Clefairy." Chaeyeon said.

"While Doyeon gets ones like Nidoking, Jolteon, and a Jigglypuff," said Mina and Team Valor laughed.

"Hey!" Doyeon was yelling from Team Instinct.

It was all fun and games for them until the leaders of each team gathered them. They were talking of the upcoming Pokémon GO Tournament and Sejeong introduced the new member of Team Mystic.

"Hello. I'm Kim Sohye. Nice to meet you all."

Mina gasped. Sohye saw Mina and waved at her. Mina waved back as Doyeon and Kyulkyung cooed.

"You know each other?" Sejeong asked.

"Yeah. About a while ago." Mina answered.

"Great! Now let's go to our secret lair." Sejeong said.

Sohye got the chance to meet everyone. Chungha gave her tips and Sohye appreciated them and even took note of them. She then went to Mina and the both of them were unexpected of their meeting.

"What a small world." Sohye smiled.

"I know. You're missing the fun. Come on." Mina said as she held Sohye's hand.

All of them went inside and Sohye wowed of their lair. It had stations per team, a snack bar, even an arcade and some study tables with an archive of books and cool stuff. What caught Sohye's attention was the throne in the center with their banner.

"IOI." Sohye read.

"It's our squad name. We're a group of Pokémon GO enthusiasts who love the game. Jeon Somi is our best player and she sits in that throne." Mina said as she pointed to a cheerful Somi with the rest of the Instincts.

"Kim Sejeong, leader of Team Mystic. She's mostly specialized with Grass Type Pokemon. She managed to evolve all her Grass types." Mina said as Sejeong greeted her new member.

"Nice to have you, Sohye."

"Thanks, unnie."

"Sohye-ya~" A petite tackled her for a hug.

"Choi Yoojung, your fellow member and our recold holder for having the most number of Pokémon."

"Yeah. I almost got a Ditto but Chungha-unnie caught it before I could." Yoojung pouted.

"Slowbro." Chungha said back.

"Kim Chungha is a former Mystic but transferred in Team Instinct for leader promotion. She had an attempt to catch Zapdos but she ran out of Ultra Balls."

"Next we have Team Valor." Mina pulled Sohye towards her team.

"I'm Pinky. Nice to meet you, Sohye." Kyulkyung shook hands with Sohye.

"Joo Kyulkyung is from China. She ranked 3rd in the International Pokémon GO League."

"I was this close to getting that Moltres... this close!"

"But instead you got a Charizard. Jung Chaeyeon, by the way..." Chaeyeon got her turn to meet Sohye.

"Jung Chaeyeon is the brains of the squad. She is an expert of locating Pokémon, getting access in getting our Pokéballs and knows Pokémon like it's her life." Mina said.

A tall girl came to them and tackled Kyulkyung for a hug. The rest cooed yet Chaeyeon scolded them to do their lovey-dovey stuff somewhere else.

"Kim Doyeon has a peculiar taste of Pokémon. She chooses the strong and ugly ones and catches 'couple' Pokémon for Kyulkyung-unnie's sake." Mina said and Sohye chuckled.

"Lim Nayoung is the leader of Team Valor and the whole squad. But as you see, she has a on Rock Types, Ground Types, Fighting Types, and Steel Types." Mina said as Nayoung wore her Onix shirt.

"Why? It's cool." Nayoung said with a stoic face.

Mina and Sohye chuckled. A booming singing voice was heard as the rest of the squad cheered.

"Yoo Yeonjung, an Instinct and our best singer. She also holds a record for the most Normal Type Pokémon." Mina finished.

"And I, Kang Mina, am a Valor and I catch cute Pokémon." Mina laughed.

"Me too. But as you see, I'm known for having a full set of evolutions," said Sohye.

Mina took a peek of Sohye's Pokédex. What caught her eye was her complete set of two-stage evolutions.

"Same." Mina said, showing her full set of evolutions of Ekans.

"Help me catch a Voltorb." said Sohye.

"Sure. Let's ask Chaeyeon-unnie." Mina agreed.

And there began another phase of friendship. Sohye was happy to meet new friends and Mina? Well, she'll control her heart somehow.

---

Mina and Sohye got a list from Chaeyeon and went almost anywhere in Seoul to catch Pokémon together.

"I already completed the first six of three-stage evolution Pokémon," said Sohye.

"Really?! When did you capture a Pidgeot?" Mina wondered.

"When Eomma and I went to the mall. She was getting her hair done so I decided to play and roam around the mall. I found one and captured it." Sohye answered.

"Sohye-ya~ help me catch my three-stage collection...please~~" Mina pouted.

Sohye couldn't resist. She nodded and Mina cheered and hugged her. Sohye felt a little itch on her chest but she hugged back and helped Mina search for some three-staged Pokémon.

---

"Sohye! Mina!"

Mina and Sohye saw Doyeon and Kyulkyung. Just like them, the couple was also catching some Pokémon.

"I got a Farfetch'd!" Kyulkyung cheered.

"Onix for me," said Doyeon.

"Are you two on a date?" Doyeon added.

Mina and Sohye shook their heads but the couple cooed.

"The both of you are blushing~" Kyulkyung cooed.

"Mina and I are catching some three-staged Pokémon," said Sohye.

"Nice, nice..." Doyeon gave a thumbs-up.

"If you'll excuse us, we saw a Weedle and a Caterpie. We need to catch both. My dibs are on Caterpie," said Kyulkyung.

"I get the Weedle. See you guys." Doyeon waved as Kyulkyung pulled her.

Mina and Sohye watched the couple and they couldn't hold their smiles. Sohye checked her phone again and she got excited that she pulled Mina and they ran again.

"S-Sohye-ya!!" Mina exclaimed.

"Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan are around the corner! Let's catch them!" Sohye exclaimed back.

The two of them were excited. Mina got to capture Hitmonchan as Sohye got Hitmonlee. Mina found another Pokemon, a Chansey, and caught it. She was happy but afterwards, she pouted at Sohye.

"What's wrong?" Sohye grew concerned.

"I got two Pokemon and you got one. I'm sorry for being so selfish." Mina apologized.

Sohye smiled and patted Mina's head. Mina gulped and blushed lightly, her heart beating involuntarily.

"It's okay. I already have a Chansey and I can complete my Pokedex next time." Sohye assured her.

"I found a Bulbasaur at the square. Let's go and complete your set." Sohye added.

Mina held her hand and Sohye led the way towards where the Bulbasaur was located. Mina checked her Pokedex again and saw that she completed Bulbasaur's evolution. Yet she still had more to go.

"This is going to take forever. How am I going to complete this?" Mina whined.

"Don't give up. I'll come with you to find them. With Chaeyeon-unnie's map, we can find all of them. We'll have meet-ups and we'll complete the sets together," said Sohye.

Mina gave Sohye a hearthwarming smile and hugged her. Sohye was taken aback but she hugged her back afterwards.

"Thank you." Mina said.

"No problem. Anything for you, Mina." Sohye spoke.

Mina heard it right. Their hug lasted a little longer as she hugged Sohye tighter, her head leaning on her shoulder. Mina checked her phone and detected another group of Pokémon.

"Come on." Mina said as she broke from the hug and held Sohye's hand.

"A Tangela and Scyther, plus an Eevee." Sohye said.

"I got dibs on the Eevee." Mina said back as the both of them went to catch Pokémon again.

---

At the secret lair, the teams were discussing on the upcoming Pokémon GO Tournament in the country. Each team picked their representatives in the various field requirements for the tournament. After their discussion, they gathered as the leaders of the teams discuss the most important field in the tournament.

"We'll be talking about the Legendary Tournament." Nayoung began and they wowed.

"For the first time, our squad can join this event and compete with other enthusiasts from different squads." Sejeong cheered.

"We'll be picking five contigents for the event. And it's going to be a head-to-head battle because our main opponents are IBI."

"IBI?" Sohye wondered.

"IBI is our main opponent in every PG Tournament. They're composed of ten members and they have beaten us last year. We hope to win against them this time," said Chungha.

"For now, each of you will be evaluated and Somi, being our top player, will decide who will compete for the said event." Nayoung said.

"Okay. Back to your teams for some training," said Sejeong and they all nodded.

---

"Squirtle's evolutions at that part of the Han River." Sohye pointed.

Mina nodded and went to catch the three. She cheered lightly and showed her Pokédex to Sohye.

"Okay. Come on. I saw evolutions of Caterpie and Weedle by the trash bin." Sohye said and they continued.

She and Mina strolled by the Namsan Tower this time, following Chaeyeon's map in order to find all three-staged evolution Pokémon. Mina managed to complete another set when they reached the top, leaving her and Sohye to find the last set of three-staged Pokémon.

"So...where are they?" Mina asked Sohye as she read the map.

"Oh my...it didn't state a specific place but it says here that the Dratini's evolutions are a bit rare." Sohye said.

"What? What are we going to do?" Mina was shocked.

"Don't lose hope. We'll find them." Sohye said.

Mina nodded. The both of them searched the whole place. The sun was setting and Mina felt tired and hungry from their little adventure.

"Sohye-ya...I'm hungry~"

"Me too. Stay here. I'll buy us some ddeokbokki." Sohye said and went to the food stalls.

Mina smiled as she watched Sohye buy some food. Sohye came back with two servings of ddeokbokki and sat down next to Mina. She gave Mina her serving and ate her own while reading the map.

"Where do you think Dratini is located?" Mina asked.


"It could be near bodies of water. Dragonair could also be in the same location but Dragonite could be in higher ground," said Sohye.

"The sun's down. We should continue tomorrow." Mina suggested.

"Alright." Sohye agreed.

---

The two of them walked home. Mina found that Sohye lived near her place and in the end, they walked together while searching for some Pokémon. Mina held Sohye's hand as Sohye completes her Pokédex. Mina noticed Sohye's play, getting extra points due to her accuracy in throwing the Pokéball.

"Wow...how do you do that?" Mina was impressed.

"I got used to it. I practice precision in many aspects and applied it in the game. It really helps," said Sohye.

"Woah! You're almost complete?!" Mina wowed of Sohye's progress.

"Yeah. Dratini and her evolutions plus five Legendary Pokémon," said Sohye.

"I still have 75 more to go." Mina pouted again.

"We have all the days until the tournament. Don't worry, okay?" Sohye said to her.

They stopped by a junction. They will go in seperate ways towards their homes but Mina remained on her spot, her hand still holding Sohye's.

"What is it?" Sohye asked.

Mina didn't say anything but she tackled Sohye for a hug. Sohye hugged back as Mina whispered:

"Thank you for always spending time with me."

"You're very welcome, Mina." Sohye answered.

"See you tomorrow?" Mina lets go while asking.

"See you tomorrow." Sohye answered back.

Mina gave her a kiss on her cheek. Sohye watched Mina wave goodbye and walked home. Sohye blushed, holding her cheek where Mina gave her kiss. She smiled lightly and went home as well.

---

-Meet me by the DMZ-

Mina gulped of receiving a message from Sohye. How on earth could she be sent in a restricted zone? Nonetheless, she agreed and walked again. She caught some Pokemon along the way, almost completing her Pokédex. As she got to the DMZ, there was Sohye, her back facing Mina. Mina went to Sohye and hugged her from the back. She heard Sohye chuckle and Sohye faced her.

"Good morning."

"Morning." Mina greeted back.

"I'm glad you made it. I found pairs of the last three-stage evolutions for Dratini." Sohye cheered.

Mina went closer to Sohye, her phone pointing at the top of the entrance. Mina focused and managed to capture Dratini and Dragonair. Sohye was finished with hers as Mina aimed to catch Dragonite. She couldn't catch it right away, wasting her Pokeballs. Mina gulped as she only had two Pokeballs left. Sohye saw her struggling and went to help her.

"Let me catch that for you." Sohye said as she grabbed Mina's phone.

Mina whined but Sohye focused on catching the Dragonite. In one swipe, she caught the Pokemon. She gave the phone to Mina and said:

"Done. Our adventure's over," said Sohye.

"Yah! What are you girls doing here?!" A guard saw them.

Sohye held Mina's hand and they ran. The guard went after them as they had their wild goose chase on the streets. Sohye saw a tight space and she and Mina hid. Sohye pinned Mina to the wall and they ducked. Sohye checked as they guard searched and eventually gave up, going back to his post. Sohye sighed in relief but Mina froze. Sohye noticed she had pinned her and their faces were inches away from each other.

"Sorry..." Sohye looked away and unpinned Mina.

Mina could only nod. The both of them crept out and were tired from their adventure.

"You want to walk home?" Sohye asked her.

"No. Let's grab a taxi." Mina answered.

---

Mina was pacing back and forth inside her room as she had her call with Kyulkyung.

"OMO-I knew it!!" Kyulkyung cooed on the other line.

"Sh!! I know it's cute but it's bit weird. How could I like her when we just met?" Mina asked her.

"Admiration has its suprises, Mina. I was like you when Doyeon was recruited. I felt like I jumped on clouds. I found her pretty and I had a crush on her at first sight," said Kyulkyung.

"What about the confessions?"

"You know, she confessed to me and I took almost a year to say yes to her." Kyulkyung answered.

"Unnie! Help me with this!! My heart's beating so fast when she's around, especially when she holds my hand. My face blushes when we look at each other's eyes. I even hug her tight and gave her a kiss on the cheek!" Mina flipped out.

Kyulkyung squealed on the other line and Mina felt hopeless for her unnie. She slumped on her bed and placed a hand on her chest.

"Let's get serious, unnie. What do I do?" Mina asked again.

Kyulkyung stopped squealing. Mina waited for her unnie's advice as she huffed her breath due to her feelings.

"I would be saying to you that you tell her of your feelings but knowing you, you're afraid that you might get hurt if Sohye doesn't feel the same way." Kyulkyung began.

"You read my mind, unnie." Mina mumbled.

"But it's important to let her know, Mina. You can't hide your emotions forever. And besides, even if you might get hurt if she doesn't feel the same way, you'll be relieved because you got it out. If you do get hurt, don't be afraid to approach me and Doyeon because we'll be here to ease the pain, okay?" Kyulkyung said.

"Okay, unnie. Thank you." Mina agreed.

"You're welcome. Are you and Sohye going out tomorrow?" Kyulkyung asked.

"I don't know. Usually, our hangouts were PG-related."

"Seriously? You only hang out because of Pokémon GO? Come on, Mina. If you want to try expressing your feelings, try a different field. Doyeon and I may got to know each other through the game but we hang out all the time, even if it's not related to the game." Kyulkyung babbled.

"Alright. I thought of asking Sohye out on a date tomorrow." Mina said.

"Well, Doyeon and I are going to the Hello Kitty Café for our date. You should take her there and we'll go on a double date!" Kyulkyung suggested.

"Okay! Great!!" Mina agreed.

"I'll text you where we will meet. I have to go. Doyeon's calling me," said Kyulkyung.

"Okay, unnie. See you tomorrow."

Mina ended the call and dialled Sohye. It took a while and Mina grew nervous. As Sohye answered, she gulped and answered.

"Sohye-ya?"

"Yes, Mina. What is it?"

"Well...Kyulkyung-unnie and Doyeon are going to this café and she invited me. I don't want to be a third wheel on their date so I was wondering if you wanted to come with me."

"Okay." Sohye agreed right away and Mina was taken aback.

"Really?" Mina asked.

"Really." Sohye answered.

"Okay~ meet me at the subway tomorrow. I'll send you the time later," said Mina.

"Okay." Sohye answered.

"Sohye?" Mina asked.

"Yes?"

"Good night." Mina sighed.

"Good night, Mina. Sleep tight." Sohye said.

The call ended. Mina sighed again as she tucked onto her blanket. She tossed and turned as she held her chest.

'I have to tell her soon...'

---

Sohye got her text from Mina of the time and place. She walked, got a bit of time to catch some Pokémon and stopped by a store as she saw something cool. She went inside and the clerk entertained her.

"This is one of the cheapest Pokémon franchise we have. It's an interconnecting Pokéball necklace. You can give the other half to a special someone."

"How much is it?" Sohye asked as she held onto it.

"1000 Won."

Sohye smiled wide and purchased the necklace. She got out of the store happily and kept the box on her pocket. She arrived at the subway and searched for Mina. As she found her, she was giddy and went behind her.

"Omo-who's this?" Mina asked as she held onto some hands.

"Try to guess."

"Yah, Penguin!" Mina whined and Sohye wondered.

"Sohye-ya~" She whined again and Sohye met her vision.

"Penguin?" Sohye wondered of the nickname as she sat next to Mina.

"I just want to call you Penguin. Is it fine?" Mina asked.

"Fine? It's perfect!! I love penguins~♡" Sohye cheered.

"Hmm...I have a nickname for you too." Sohye added.

"And what would that be?" Mina asked.

"Orange..." Sohye said and Mina went quiet.

"Oops-" Sohye gulped but froze when Mina kissed her cheek.

"I love it. I like oranges." Mina whispered.

They heard cooing. Mina and Sohye turned to the side to see Doyeon and Kyulkyung.


"You look so cute together," said Kyulkyung.

"Is my ship sailing?" Doyeon cooed.

"Hey!" Mina pouted and Sohye chuckled of her cuteness.

"Come on, lovebirds. Let's go."

Kyulkyung and Doyeon walked side by side. Mina and Sohye did the same thing as they followed the couple towards the café.

---

The pairs were in separate tables. Doyeon and Kyulkyung were doing lovey-dovey stuff as Mina watched in disgust.

"Ew." She muttered.

"There's nothing wrong about it, Mina. It looks cute," said Sohye.

"But look at them. They're kissing in public!" Mina whispered.

"I guess that's the essence of having special someone," said Sohye.

Mina could only nod as she ate a piece of her chocolate cake. She stole glances at Sohye who was on her phone while sipping her matcha frappe. Mina got a piece of her cake and inched it closer to Sohye's mouth. Sohye took a bite and she  fidgeted, the piece of cake hanging on .

"Cute~" Mina cooed.

Sohye chuckled and finished the piece. She grabbed a tissue and wiped as Mina continued to giggle.

"Yah." Sohye mumbled, her face as red as a tomato.

"You only have your drink. You might get hungry," said Mina, feeding Sohye another piece.

"Thanks..." Sohye munched cutely.

Mina giggled again and Sohye started conversation. They talked about stuff and it's not about Pokémon GO. It was about almost anything life has offered to each of them. From hobbies, academics, even puppy love.

"You know...I'm having a crush on someone lately," said Mina.

"Really? Who's the lucky guy?" Sohye asked.

'You...'

"It's a girl." Mina said and Sohye almost spits her frappe.

"Woah...me too..." Sohye mumbled.

"Ah, really?" Mina asked, shocked.

"Yeah. I'm not a lesbian but a biual, rather..." Sohye confessed.

"Do you feel weird about it?" Mina asked while eating.

"No. Love can never be weird because it's essential to all of us. Anyone can love, even us..." Sohye said.

"You and your words..." Mina mumbled, placing a hand by her chin and leaned closer to Sohye.

Sohye chuckled. Mina giggled and held Sohye's hand.

"I never thought I really like hanging out with you," said Mina.

"Me too." Sohye answered.

"I wish we could do this all the time. We'll only have this until the tournament...right?" Mina asked and Sohye noticed the sudden change of her mood.

"Why would you say that, Mina? I'll still hang out with you even after the tournament or any other day," said Sohye.

"Tell you what..." Sohye held Mina's hands.

"...the next time we hang out, disregard the game. We'll hang out because we want to spend our days together. I mean it...and we'll meet at the Han River tomorrow or meet at some place and go at my place-"

Sohye froze as Mina ran her hand on her forearm, the other holding her cheek. Sohye almost gulped, her heart beating quickly than usual.

"Sure...but let me complete my Pokédex first." Mina answered.

"Okay, okay..." Sohye nodded.

"Tell me more about yourself." Mina said as she held Sohye's hand.

Sohye began and told her story. Mina listened eagerly and even giggled of Sohye's embarrassing and funny moments. Mina continued to listen when she felt a nudge on her shoulder.

"We need to go." Kyulkyung said to the couple.

"Let them stay here and have their moment, Pinky," said Doyeon.

"No, it's fine." Mina said and stood up.

Sohye followed her and the four left the café. Later, the pairs went seperately. Mina and Sohye walked side by side as they both work on completing Mina's Pokédex. They got to the park and Mina only had like 10 Pokémon left to catch.

"You want to catch more?" Sohye asked as she pets Mina's head.

"We'll do it next time. Let's sit by the benches," said Mina.

Sohye nodded and went towards the benches. She sat next to Mina as they watch the cherry blossoms fall. Mina leaned her head on Sohye's shoulder and whispered:

"I like you."

Sohye's eyes dilated. She looked down and Mina looked back as they gaze at each other's eyes.

"Mina..."

Mina wrapped her arms around Sohye and leaned closer to her.

"Time may have been too quick for us but I can't stop my feelings any longer. It was love at first sight for me and I never thought I could be at bliss with our moments together. I found you pretty and I love spending time with you." Mina broke and held Sohye's hands.

"I like you, Kim Sohye. I really like you." Mina hugged Sohye tight.

Sohye froze. Her whole being felt dazed as her heart beated quickly and she felt heat beyond her face. Sohye gulped and her arms wrapped around Mina. But as she did, Mina forced herself to let go.

"Mina, what are you-"

"I'm sorry. How stupid of me to say such nonsense." Mina mumbled.

Sohye held Mina's shoulders and lets her look at her. She saw Mina in the brink of crying. She gulped.

"Mina...I-"

"Disregard everything I said. I'm sorry for making you confused and everything." Mina apologized.

"I should go." She added and stood to leave.

Sohye held her hand before she could go any further. Mina's heart shattered again. She shoved her hand away but Sohye stood up and hugged her from the back.

"Don't go." Sohye muttered.

Mina struggled on her grasp but Sohye held onto her tight, not wanting her to go. The cherry blossoms faded, its tree already barren from the petals and the moon illuminated the whole place, secrets were revealed, and a wave of confusion flooded in the dormant mind of the penguin and orange.

---

IOI were in the square as they wait for their opponents. Sejeong, Chungha, and Nayoung got their teams ready as a van arrived, ten women exitting the said vehicle.

"Greetings." The leader of IBI went closer.

Nayoung welcomed her back, adding a bit of a snicker in the end. All of them were face to face, avoiding blinks and inhibitions. Kyulkyung and Doyeon managed to sit next to each other and they noticed something was off.

"What happened to Mina and Sohye?" Kyulkyung noticed.

"That's weird. I thought they were really close," said Doyeon.

Mina and Sohye became distant after the confession. Yoojung was in between the two and she felt a lot of tension. Sejeong also noticed it that she started another phase.

"Who's Team Mystic in IBI?" Sejeong asked.

"It changed, Sejeong. It's now me and the two Soyeons," said Kim Nayoung.

"Yours changed as well, right?" She added as she noticed Chungha.

"Yeah. I got Sohye and Yoojung in my team," said Sejeong.

Another vehicle came in. It was the proctor of their competition, Jang Geunsuk.

"Annyeonghaseyo~" All of them stood up and bowed.

Geunsuk greeted them back and they sat down.

"Welcome to the SoKor Pokémon GO Tournament. As of this event, some previous players of the tournament cannot compete because they didn't meet the requirements on the minimum number of 10 members."

"That's right. WJSN can't even come here because of a conflict," said Sira.

"And I even heard that it involved Yoo Yeonjung," said Sohee.

"It was a recruitment but I declined!" Yeonjung exclaimed.

"Yeah. We were there." Team Instinct of IOI defended her.

"Wait. I got a text. WJSN will be competing," said Geunsuk.

"Will there be male competitors?" Heehyun asked.

"Yes. Pentagon, of course," said Geunsuk.

"Pledis Girlz won't be coming...and Team Valor of IOI have something to do with it." Haein snickered.

"Same with Yeonjung's case." Nayoung said to her.

"And we had then same response so don't assume," said Kyulkyung.

The other two teams arrived. Some girls were attracted by the male competitors but they had their objective of winning rooted on their minds. As soon as all of them settled down, Geunsuk stood and began the orientation of their tournament.

"Welcome to the tournament, IOI, IBI,  WJSN, and Pentagon. For the newbies of this, I am Jang Geunsuk, your proctor and moderator for this tournament. For this tournament, we have three categories: Type Catching, Extra Catching, and our very first Legendary Catching. For the first category, each member should pick a certain type to catch. For the rest of the types, members can have two depending of the choices of the group. Catch 10 and you get a Bronze, 50 to get a Silver, and 200 to get Gold." 

"Our big 6 should have two," said Somi.

"Good point," said Sejeong.

"Second is the Extra Catching, composed of three acheivements: Fisherman, Pikachu Fan, and Youngster. You may pick three members per acheivement. 10 for Bronze, 50 for Silver, and 200 for Gold."

"I got dibs on Mina, Yeonjung, and, Sohye," said Yoojung to Sejeong.

"Last is the Legendary Catching. The top 5 of every group are the only one's who can participate. Members will search for the 5 Legendary Pokemon: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mew, and Mewtwo. The group who catches the most number of Legendary Pokemon will be the winner."

They wowed. All of them were hyped. The rest were a bit nervous, especially Sohye.

"The time on my watch is 8:23 A.M. You have the rest of the hours to discuss your teams. You are to submit to me your list for each category by 11:30 and make sure to eat your lunch. The competition will start at 12 Noon. Late submissions will not be entertained and will be considered default. Are we clear?"

"Ne." All of them nodded.

Geunsuk called the leaders of each team as they were asked for their phone numbers. Once they were done, they were told to discuss stuff in any place they want.

"Let's go to our lair," said Nayoung.

---

IOI were gathered to meet again. Sejeong, Nayoung, and Chungha were at the front as they discuss their positions.

"Based on your field, Somi's observation and ours, we have the list for the first category," said Chungha as they presented a visual.

Bird Keeper (Flying) - Kim Chungha
Black Belt (Fighting) - Jeon Somi
Bug Maniac (Bug) - Kim Sejeong
Depot Agent (Steel) - Lim Nayoung
Dragon Tamer (Dragon) - Joo Kyulkyung
Fairy Tail Girl (Fairy) - Jung Chaeyeon
Gardener (Grass) - Kim Sejeong
Hex Maniac (Ghost) - Kim Chungha
Hiker (Rock) - Lim Nayoung
Kindler (Fire) - Kang Mina
Psychic (Psychic) - Jung Chaeyeon
Punk Girl (Poison) - Joo Kyulkyung
Rocker (Electric) - Kim Doyeon
Ruin Maniac (Ground) - Jeon Somi
Schoolkid (Normal) - Yoo Yeonjung
Skier (Ice) - Choi Yoojung
Swimmer (Water) - Kim Sohye

"For those whose names were repeated, they were my choice for the extra types. My decision was based on their status and field. Nayoung-unnie knows a lot about Steel Types, Sejeong-unnie's field interconnects Grass Types, Chaeyeon's broad knowledge on Pokémon itself, Kyulkyung-unnie being an international winner, and Chungha-unnie's courage." Somi explained.

All of them agreed. Next was the Extra Catching.

Fisherman - Kim Sohye
Pikachu Fan - Kang Mina
Youngster - Yoo Yeonjung

"Each representative per team," said Yoojung.

"Sohye and Yeonjung have a good background based on their field. Mina here knows Pikachu's locations." Sejeong said.

"Sohye and Mina should switch," said Yeonjung.

"Why?" Chungha asked.

"I cannot assure on catching Pikachu. It's a bit rare plus I only caught two during my training." Mina reasoned.

"Sohye caught 15. At least we're sure to get a Bronze." Yeonjung shared.

"But Sohye-unnie's precision skills on Pokémon catching are needed to get that Giant Magikarp." Somi said.

"What are we going to do?" Sejeong asked her fellow leaders.

"Don't change the list." Sohye said and everyone gasped.

"Are you nuts, Sohye? It's not that I insult Mina's skills-"

"Hey!" Mina reacted.

"-but it'll lose our chance of winning if we don't get medals for all acheivements. We need to be sure of our strategies in order to win," said Yeonjung.

"I know. But if our best player sees potential in Mina, I trust her. And besides, I trust Mina on anything. She can do it. I just know it," said Sohye.

Kyulkyung and Doyeon cooed silently as Mina was flattered. She wanted to give Sohye a hug but she was worried of her feelings again. She didn't want it to develop any further. For her, it was the only thing to do.

"Alright. No more questions?" Nayoung spoke.

"None." All of them responded.

"For the Legendary Catching, this is new, but I have my pick for our Big 5." Somi said.

"Who?" Sejeong asked like the rest of them.

"Me, you, Yoojung, Chungha, and Sohye." Somi said.

Almost all of them agreed but Kyulkyung and Chaeyeon wondered why Nayoung wasn't included.

"If you're wondering who will capture Moltres? I will." Somi said.

"But Sohye? In terms of experience of the game, Yoojung, Nayoung, and Kyulkyung were the veterans. You could've chosen from either of them but why Sohye?" Chaeyeon wondered.

"Are you questioning her skills, unnie?" Somi asked her.

"No. I'm worried for Sohye. I read something just now from the Pokémon archives...of the risks of the Legendary Catching. It became a reason why it's never included in the tournament." Chaeyeon went to the front and showed a scanned copy of the archive.

"Five trainers died during their attempt to catch the Generation 1 Legendary Pokémon. The 5 Legendary Pokémon were together in one area and with interface of the Pokémon in the game, it caused natural calamities and radiation, which was the cause of their deaths."

"Why is Sohye your only concern?" Doyeon asked.

"I was the next recruit next to our big four. I've known Somi, Sejeong, Yoojung, and Chungha engage in Legendary Pokemon before. Somi got an advance platform of the game from her father at the military and caught Arceus."

"That's true...but my game was deleted due to piracy and beta testing," said Somi.

"Sejeong almost caught Articuno, Yoojung almost caught Mew and Mewtwo and Chungha almost caught a Zapdos." Chaeyeon continued.

"She's right. We faced the natural calamities and radiation before we formed this unit and believe me, we still made it," said Sejeong.

"As expected from out genius Jung Chaeyeon," said Kyulkyung.

"I can do it." Sohye insisted.

"You're not playing! You're going to die out there!!" Chaeyeon scolded.

"Please, unnie...trust Somi and Yoojung, and the leaders." Sohye pleaded.

"She can do it." Nayoung said.

"Yah, Stone Nayoung!!" Chaeyeon and Kyulkyung exclaimed.

"Our best player and us leaders made that choice. If my fellow players trusts Sohye to do this, I trust her too."

"Are there still any objections?" Sejeong asked.

Mina raised her hand. The leaders were obliged to entertain her when Mina asked.

"Can I talk to Sohye for a minute?"

Sohye reacted. It had been a while since they notice each other's presences and the confession. Sohye was a bit nervous. She didn't want to talk to Mina yet as she waits for the right time to do it.

"Okay." Chungha nodded.

"Sohye." Mina called.

Sohye stood up ad she followed Mina to a private sector. Doyeon and Kyulkyung cooed lightly, getting a scold from Nayoung as they took their break.

---

"What do you want to talk about?" Sohye asked her.

"Don't play for the third category." Mina said to her.

"Why?" Sohye asked again.

"You heard Chaeyeon-unnie. It's risky." Mina reasoned.

"I can do it, okay? I'm not going to be affected by the factors. Everyone agreed to this yet you don't." Sohye spoke back.

"I worry about you, Sohye. I can't let you play. What if you get hurt? What if you die?" Mina said all possibilities.

"It's just a game, Mina. If Somi and the others survived, I will too," said Sohye.

Sohye went back when Mina hugged her from the back. Sohye gulped as feelings and memories came back again.

"No...please, Penguin...don't play for the third category. I can't bear to see you hurt..." Mina pleaded.

"Mina..."

Doyeon and Kyulkyung came in to check the both of them. They didn't coo this time as they felt something serious was going on.

"Doyeon-ah, Kyulkyung-unnie." Sohye called.

"The names have been submitted. I'm sorry, Mina...but Sohye's playing," said Doyeon.

Mina gulped as she bears her tears, her hug on Sohye still intact.

"Can you leave us for a minute?" Sohye asked the couple.

"Sure, Sohye," said Kyulkyung.

Sohye thanked the couple as Mina still hugged her. She faced Mina and wiped her tears away.

"Hey..." Sohye began.

"I miss you." Mina mumbled.

"I miss you too. I'm sorry if I don't talk to you anymore," said Sohye.

"I'm sorry too. I was so worried I won't talk to you and be with you again." Mina said.

"I'm the one who's really sorry. I'm sorry it took me a while to reciprocate my feelings for you."

"Sohye-ya..."

Sohye could only smile as she held Mina's hands. She huffed a little and faced her.

"I like you too, Kang Mina. Ever since we met and became one with the squad, I was so obliged to meet you. I even get excited and happy of our meet-ups." Sohye began.

"I was afraid to confess. I thought all those meet-ups were just for the game but I was so blind to see and feel anything. I'm really sorry for being so blind...but I hope you let me in your heart again." Sohye finished and hugged Mina.

Mina's feelings that were trapped with chains of doubts and inhibitions broke free. She hugged Sohye with twice the  passion and nuzzled her head on Sohye's shoulder.

"So...are we okay?" Sohye asked.

"Yeah. But don't get yourself hurt in the third category, okay?" Mina said cutely.

"I won't. I got a good team with good members. Another thing is that we're playing together with Yeonjung. And as long as we have fun and win this tournament, it's cool, right?" Sohye said as she faced her.

"You promise?" Mina asked as her arms wrapped around Sohye's shoulder.

"Here's my promise."

Sohye told Mina to close her eyes and she did. Sohye went behind her and got a box from her pocket. She grabbed a necklace inside, picked the upper half and wore it around Mina's neck. She wore the lower half on herself as she told Mina to open her eyes. The rest of their squad went to call them and they went quiet, seeing the two looking so cute together. Mina felt the necklace around her and took a look at the design.

"Sohye..."

"I bought it at some franchise store. It reminded me that we met, got to know each other, and always had our meet-ups because of Pokémon GO. And at time, I developed my feelings but I hid it so well." Sohye explained.

"A top half of a Pokéball...and the button is on my half." Mina said as she loved the necklace.

"Because you deserve more, Mina. I hope I can be the person who will give you that," said Sohye.

Mina held Sohye's shoulders and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Their little moment had to be interrupted due to Doyeon and Kyulkyung's loud squeal. The rest of the squad joined in.

"Yah!" Mina yelped as she blushed.

"My ship is sailing," said Doyeon.

"And as much as I want to let you have your moment, the tournament will start soon. So...we should get going. Somi already got the van running," said Nayoung.

All of them nodded. Mina held Sohye's hand and they followed their squad towards the van.

---

The tournament was a blast. The interface of the game applied virtual reality with real effects on their environment. For the first category, everyone was scattered in the specialized gym wherein Pokémon was everywhere. All of them aimed to catch a lot of Pokémon during their alloted time. After the first category, everyone gathered with their respective team. Mina checked on Sohye, who was wet because of her field.

"How did you get so wet?" Mina asked as she wiped.

"A Gyrados jumped in front of me," said Sohye.

"You have a burn in your arm," she added, mending Mina's wound.

They were called to sit down. But for the both of them, they went to another door for the second category. Yeonjung joined them and joked:

"I'm a third wheel for this game."

"You'll be our child." Sohye joked back.

Mina giggled. Yeonjung agreed and was in between the two lovebirds. The time started and the three of them rushed. They were in stealth mode, catching their respective Pokémon with accuracy. Sohye seperated with Yeonjung and Mina as she detected the third Big Magikarp by the sea. She ran towards the edge of the cliff when she saw Jeon Soyeon.

"Shoot..." Sohye mumbled.

She and Soyeon raced towards the cliff. Sohye detected the Giant Magikarp in front of her and hastily chose an Ultra Ball. She gulped as she aimed, hoping not to waste any Ultra Balls. Soyeon made her move to catch it but she failed. Sohye got her turn...and she failed as well. The Giant Magikarp was descending to the sea but Sohye was persistent. She ran towards the edge and jumped. The Big Magikarp was still detectable and she decided to catch it again. She finally succeeded. She hastily grabbed a rock from the cliff. She gulped, looking down at the sea.


*beep*

"You only have 10 minutes to submit your Pokémon."

Sohye puts her phone in her pocket and grabbed another edge with another free hand. She huffed as she climbs back to the cliff. It was a struggle for her to reach the edge but she was persistent to succeed in this category. She got up, checked her phone in her pocket, and ran towards the exit.

---

Yeonjung and Mina suceeded in their achievement. Members if IOI were worried as they didn't see Sohye.

"Where's Sohye?" Sejeong asked.

Soyeon arrived. IBI were relieved. But as Soyeon shook her head and the screen showed she only caught two, IOI were flustered.

"Sohye caught the third Big Magikarp." Chaeyeon whispered to the team.

"What are we going to do? We only have five minutes." Yeonjung said.

"I have to get to her," said Mina, going back to the exit.

"No one is allowed to go back. Once you finish, you cannot go back and help your fellow member. Rules are rules," said Geunsuk.

Mina didn't care about the rules and wanted to go back when Yeonjung stopped her.

"Trust Sohye. She'll make it. She promised you, remember?"

The clock ticked as the rest of the representatives came back in utter failure. IOI were getting more worried for Sohye as they only had one minute. Another 30 seconds passed...then another 15 seconds...then another 10 seconds.

"Sohye!" Somi saw their member.

Sohye rushed to the podium and lets the proctor check her phone. Everyone was anticipating the result and they wowed for she caught three Big Magikarps.

"The third and last category of the tournament will be held later at 12 AM. Be here on time."

"Ne."

---

IOI were back at their lair. Some fell asleep to rest while Chaeyeon, Mina, Yeonjung, and Sohye were awake. In the group, Chaeyeon and Yeonjung were the closest ones to medical missionaries as they mend Sohye's wound and Mina, being the concerned friend she was, sat beside Sohye.

"How did you get these wounds?" Chaeyeon asked worriedly.

"The Giant Magikarp was descending but I had to catch it. I almost plummeted to death when I grasped a rock at the edge of the cliff and climbed. I ran towards the exit, stumbling myself in the process."

"God, Sohye. You rest after this, alright? You still have one category to play," said Yeonjung as she covered Sohye's arms with bandages.

Sohye nodded. Chaeyeon and Yeonjung were done mending her as they went to their spot to rest. Sohye huffed her breath as Mina lets her lean on her shoulder.

"I was so worried..." Mina mumbled.

"I'm sorry I broke your promise that I'll come back fine." Sohye apologized.

"That didn't matter. I'm just so relieved you're safe." Mina said and hugged her softly.

Sohye nodded and hugged her back. Her body was getting tired. She closed her eyes instinctively when she felt lips beyond hers. Sohye looked and saw Mina kissing her. Mina broke from the kiss and lets Sohye lean onto her again.

"You need some rest." Mina whispered, her hand caressing Sohye's hair.

"Rest with me." Sohye whispered back.

"Sure. Anything for you, Penguin."

---

The groups reunited early morning for the last category. The Big 5 of every group assembled by their respective exits. Some of the members of each group spent time with their Big 5, talking before the game begins.

"Win this, VitaMi, Leader-ssi!" Team Instinct cheered.

"Sure!" Somi nodded.

"Okay!" Chungha did a thumbs-up.

"Sejeong, take care of your group." Nayoung said.

"Of course!" Sejeong nodded and held Yoojung and Sohye's shoulders.

"One minute." Geunsuk spoke.

The remaining members went back to their seats as the Big 5 got ready. Mina stayed as she and Sohye talk for a bit.

"Don't hurt yourself again," said Mina.

"I cannot promise that. But I promise to come back in one piece." Sohye said honestly.

Mina didn't argue and nodded. They hugged each other and laughed. Their necklaces connected during their little hug and they held each other's hands.


"I'll be going now. Good luck, Penguin."

Mina went back to her seat as the Big 5 got ready. As the timer started, they ran inside and faces their last and critical game.

---

*three months later*

It was the beginning of classes. Sohye was sitting on her chair, the necklace on her hand. She sighed. She missed Mina and regretted of not expressing her feelings openly. She and Mina weren't official and they didn't see each other after the tournament just like the rest of them...except for two.

"Sohye!" A slap greeted the latter.

"Yah, Doyeon!!" Sohye yelped.

"Enough with the daydreaming. Come! I need you to see something." Doyeon said as she pulled Sohye outside the classroom.

---

Doyeon and Sohye were at the terrace. Sohye was asking a bunch of questions while she was pulled until she stopped to see Kyulkyung with a mysterious person. Doyeon went to hug her girlfriend tight as Kyulkyung welcomed Sohye.

"What brings the two of you here? Why am I dragged here?" Sohye asked again.

Kyulkyung went to the mysterious person as Doyeon held her shoulders and said:

"There is a special someone who's transferred here to see you."

Sohye saw Kyulkyung with the person she longed for since the game. The cutie smiled at her and went to her, tackling her for a hug.

"Penguin~♡"

Sohye smiled back and hugged her with twice the passion. Doyeon and Kyulkyung cooed and decided to leave them for a bit.

"I miss you..." Sohye mumbled.

"I miss you too. I wondered why you wouldn't call me." Mina mumbled back.

"Sorry if I was busy. I couldn't call you by then." Sohye said.

"Me too." Mina said, her head nuzzled on her chest.

"Yah, Kim Sohye!! Ask her already!" Doyeon yelled.

Sohye faced her and gave her a threatening look. Doyeon and Kyulkyung laughed lightly. Sohye sighed as she held Mina's hands and said:

"I know I've been oogling towards you for the past few months and I hope that I'm not too late to say this. I like you a lot, Kang Mina. Will you let me catch your heart and make you mine?" Sohye held her half of her necklace and connected it with Mina's.

Mina held onto it too and pulled Sohye and they kissed. Doyeon and Kyulkyung cheered and also shared their kiss. Sohye and Mina broke and they share their hug again.

"Come on, you two! Let's go on a double date!!" Kyulkyung cheered.

Mina and Sohye faced the other couple and nodded. The pairs of couples went together as they await their days of infatuation and their games.

---

 

It started off as a little game and an unexpected meeting. But all in all, the two found love. All it had to do was to catch her heart...

 

 

That was the tenth, everyone. I deeply apologize for updating so late or less frequently. Dance practices and academics are not in my favor so the intervals of my updates won't be as frequent as it used to be.

@hccc49: DoKyul ship granted.

@nicz04: I like you suggestion for a certain part of the next one-shot. Yours will be next so I hope I can update by then.

Thanks for the suggestions. And for those whose requests are not yet granted, I am so sorry. I'll do my best to update as quick as I can.

-asahdako