Hello Brethren

IOI Shikshins One-Shot Collection

Problems, stress, and the likes of other factors, have twisted my brain in the most unusual way, not to mention the 20 and 40 dollar pays for part or full time in the apartment that I live in today.

It was Children’s Day, a day for fun and togetherness with family but to me, it was a time of envy and sadness. I watch the ads on TV and I cried like a wreck, consuming a whole bottle of aspirin to my heart’s content.

I am Kim Sohye, age 19, single. Scratch single. Forever alone is the correct term. And I am a woman that wanted to end this misery. I have no one and I have nothing. What’s the use of living anyway?

the ring that has disrupted me that I spat the tablets forcefully, drool present on my mouth. I huffed and went to answer my phone. “Hello?”

This is the landlady, Miss Kim. Twenty dollars for part-time and forty for full. If you have time or if you had read my reminder, you have a balance-

“Oh, shut the up.” I hissed as I hung up.

I continued to consume the aspirin, emptying the second bottle when my world started spinning. My physical state would’ve kicked my but my conscience was cheering.

I finally get to die.

“Yah! Miss Kim!!”

I spat the second load and I cussed at my head for this landlady to disrupt my plans.

Well, switch to Plan B…

+++

My vision was blurry and I felt cold as I was skidded towards a hospital. Plan B was falling down the bridge and drowning myself to death but alas, I was saved.

But with my state, I was getting weaker by the second. I could smile.

I didn’t do anything bad towards my life. Maybe I’ll go to Heaven. Surely, I’ll go to Heaven.

*snap*

. My eyes opened. Another failed attempted from Kim Sohye herself.

I got up, seeing myself in front of an infirmary, cussing internally towards the Almighty of another chance of living. As I did, I smelt smoke. I took a whiff and saw a tall man on my left. He looked innocent and charming but he had a lit cigarette on his hand.

He silently looked at me as he took and puffed smoke out, the grey mist blown straight to my face.

“Yah.” I spat. “Do you know it’s illegal to smoke here?”

He didn’t stop and still smoked. The grey mist was always direct on my face that I coughed and scolded him again. I sensed and glanced that the people inside were looking at me worriedly and I was one confused being.

“Yah.” I was shocked when a nurse was in front of me.

She looked cute but had a stern look. I heard her yell again and I was shocked that I had the cigarette on her hand.

“It’s illegal to smoke here, you know.” The nurse said as she grabbed it and threw it away.

“I didn’t do that. It was this guy next to me.” I defended.

The man just looked at me silently and the nurse cussed and skidded the bed quickly that I almost lost balance. “Wh-Where are you taking me? Is the guy going to join me?”

“Aigoo…for someone who’s gorgeous, you are a wreck.” She spoke.

I was still confused and the state of it went worse when the nurse skidded the bed quickly and I was sent to another sector in the hospital.

It was ridiculous. Never in my life have I been hospitalized like this.

+++

Lim Nayoung, Psychiatrist

Looking at the tag and the stone-faced specialist, I was dazed of what’s happening. To avoid any more confusions, I decided to ask. “Am I here due to some mental state?”

I saw her change into her stale look to a gentle one. “Not fully true. This is just part of the procedures for check-up.”

“I see.” I nodded.

“Have you been suicidal lately?” Dr. Lim asked.

“Yes. Not too long ago.” I answered. “I just felt that I have no reason to live anymore.”

“Until now?” She asked again and I nodded.

She jots some notes down and asked again. “Secondly…you have a friend?”

I could only look to the side and see the charming smoker silently looking at me. Dr. Lim asked me if he was the culprit of my suicidal thoughts and I was about to answer when I heard a cry. I looked behind Dr. Lim and heard the cry from the closet.

Dr. Lim kept asking about the charming smoker yet I gave her the attention of asking about the cry I just heard. I went curious and went towards the door, opening it as I flipped out, seeing a charming woman crying.

“What-What are you doing there crying?” I asked her.

Seeing her face, she was lovely despite the tears. But then, her cries grew louder as she sniffled. “I’m sorry…I’m sorry that I’m crying here~!!”

“Why is she doing here crying?!” I spat.

Dr. Lim could only turn around and call someone. The smoker was still as the woman continued to sob.

“Miss Kang, please take the patient away again.” I heard her talk.

“What in the-if you were embarrassed by her, you shouldn’t have hidden her! You’re a specialist in the medical field! You help lives, not destroy them!”

“Aish, not you again!” The same gorgeous nurse came back as she head-locked me then pinned me on the floor.

“Yah! This isn’t nice!” I batted as I was tied.

She huffed and took me away and placed me back on the bed. She skidded the bed as I sat…

…and the crying lady and charming smoker had to come with me.

+++

It was night. I was forced to be admitted in the same hospital. The gorgeous nurse would come but she was a badass, making me the meek lamb in intensive care.

I suddenly jolted up from a good sleep since I needed to pee. I rushed to the comfort room outside and as I decided to go back, I saw a man crouched by the information area. He was blowing papers and a woman would crouch behind him as he gets a good view of the woman’s .

“What the …” I hissed.

I froze when the man looked back at me. I turned around for a bit, gasping that the man was in front of me, crossing his arms. I look back again and the smoker and woman followed.

I backed away and ran back to my room, shutting the door. I huffed and stopped to look up, gasping to see the same figures from before, heads bloated and bodies floating like shaped balloons.

“Y-Yah…i-it seems you guys aren’t human…” I stuttered. “What business do you have with me anyways?”

“Well…” The smoker spoke.  “…starting today, we will be sharing bodies with you.”

“I’m sorry, what?” I was flustered. “You three. You will share a body with me?”

The smoker nodded like the rest of them. With my flustered self, I was shocked seeing these beings. I counted them and I felt myself spinning.

I must’ve gone nuts.

“Excuse me…I think I’m tired…” I mumbled as I moved away.

But I wasn’t. Technically, I ended up fainting and meeting darkness.

+++

I woke up again, seeing that it was morning and that the same psychiatrist Dr. Lim and the beautiful nurse greeted me again.

“Did you sleep well, pretty?” The nurse asked.

“Although the floor is harder than the bed.” Dr. Lim stayed.

I could only agree as I sat on the bed. I was about to ask of their presence when I felt another. Looking at the farthest bed, there was a little girl. She was jumping around and was making orangutan noises. I turned to ask them and I noticed that the two must’ve observed me.

This has got to be the most unusual happening in my life. I think that I became desperate to become close to death that I was seeing ghosts. A fourth one had to add and what are the odds? They were gathered on the same spot. The three were sitting and the fourth was still hyper.

“This isn’t helping, pretty.” The nurse said.

“I think it’s best if we release you now.” Dr. Lim said.

+++

The cute nurse volunteered herself to me outside. We were walking together and the four ghosts were by left. The smoker seemed to be a negotiable guy that I asked him.

“So…will you be following me around? Always?”

“Excuse me.” I heard the nurse and faced her. “You interested it me?”

I was in a way. She was cute after all. But what the , brain?

“Don’t be embarrassed.” She showed her eye-smile. “I’ll have to stop here. See you around, pretty.”

She went off and hearing her voice and seeing her made my heart flutter. But then, who was I to initiate with matters like these? And with my crazy state, I had to seek help.

I continued to walk as I call someone.

+++

Lee Daehwi and Jeon Somi were shamans and were the best of friends. I was in their stall and had opened up to them of my supernatural dilemma. Somi was spraying me holy water and Daehwi tossed a handful of holy rice in a square plate, grabbing a grain as he eats it.

“Noona, you must’ve opened yourself to spirits.” Daehwi spoke.

“What?” I was confused.

“You opened up or called to spiritual beings without a proper rite.” Somi explained. “If you had been crossing frequently between life and death, you might be able to make contact with the ghosts around you.”

“Seriously? I thought that you’d meet the end when you die.”

“Noona.” Daehwi called. “Until you send ghosts off, you can’t die. Understand?”

“Why?” I asked.

“What did you do in life to not understand someone?” He asked again.

“I did something once but now, I don’t do anything.” I answered.

“Aigoo…” Somi sprays directly on my face. “If you aren’t doing anything, you think they’ll just leave?”

“So…does that indicate of them using my body?” I asked them again.

“There will be times that they’ll need it. Coming in and out of your body, talking and eating, and the such.” Daehwi added. “Based on the ghost, many aspects of yourself will change drastically.”

“So what should I do?” I asked.

“Just let them be. And if they want to use your body, let them. Usually, ghosts come to you because of an unaccomplished motive. If you allow them to use your body, they can accomplish those motives and go up. Only then will you be in at peace.” Somi finished.

“Aish, why didn’t you say something in the beginning?” I huffed and decided to go. “I’m going now.”

+++

I resumed my walk of life since then. I had companions now. I had the hyper midget by my side as I carried two men and the crying woman on my back.

Ghosts were supposed to be light but why are they heavy? And how could I even carry them as I walked for a mile, up until I got to my home?

I greeted the landlady with her friends as she ranted to me. “Yah. For someone who’s so young, why do you live like a dickhead?”

“Tell that to a man. Would the person be even live like this if there’s nothing to live for?” I asked back.

“Tell the person to die, then.” She spoke.

“Oh…” I reacted. “…I tried.”

I opened and closed the door behind them and finally got inside. The three got off of my back as the little one ran around.

Looking at the ghosts, it has been a while since someone visited. I wished they were people.

“Is there anything fun in here?” The kid asked as she levitated.

“Don’t you have any alcohol?” The erted man asked.

Oh, .

I have a bad feeling about this.

+++

With the ghosts around my home, my life had changed drastically. I was a healthy woman but now, I touched myself various aspects of it.

I cannot tolerate alcohol but here I was with the old man, drinking soju endlessly. I hated sweets and junk food but here I was with the kid, eating cakes and chips until I couldn’t take it. And I don’t smoke but here I was with the smoker, inhaling and exhaling cigarettes and filling the ashtrays.

Emotion was another aspect. I cry a lot but as I grew up, I loathed it. But I never thought it came again. During a meeting of the apartment policies, I admitted to breaking them, not realizing that I was crying like . And the landlady had to join in.

The ghosts have used my bodies in those ways. Despite the warnings of the shamans, I wanted to die so bad.

“Nowadays…people used carbon monoxide to die, eh?” I mumbled as I searched through the Internet.

“Don’t even think about it, kid.”

I looked behind and the ghosts were watching me.

“ing …” I hissed and excused myself. “…I’m off to bed. Goodnight.”

+++

It was another morning. I was sleeping on the floor again and was meeting the look of my messy house again.

It had been three days but the presence of these ghosts had gone far enough. Because of them, I was even more wrecked. I wasn’t sober and I shat. I even puked. And seeing them watching a horror film just made me lose my temper.

“Yah! What are you, people?! I was someone who had clung onto the fact of health! Living alone, do you know how healthy I have to be?! Is there no one else besides me?! Why the did you come to me and what the did I do?!!! Aish, I’m so unlucky!!”

They only turn their heads at me. I looked away and cried internally.

When can I even get out of this mess?!

+++

I decided to meet Daehwi and Somi again. An incident regarding my air conditioner and my wounded finger was my reason. Another was that I had to defrost my home.

“Hmm…the chills may be an effect of a line of ghosts around.” Somi said.

“Really?” I asked as I winced of my wounded finger.

“Not just any line of ghosts but a provoked line, hence the chills.” Daehwi added. “I think you might have angered them.”

“So what if I did?” I pointed with my wounded finger. “Is there any way I can just send them off?”

“There’s none, unnie. You can’t.” Somi said.

“Why can’t I?” I asked.

“Power flows from top down and not the other way around.” Somi said.

“So what should I do?!” I asked.

“We told you before, noona.” Daehwi sighed. “Like what Somi said of letting them use their body.”

“I already tried that!”

“That’s just part of the process, unnie. They don’t just need assurance. They also need comfort.” Somi said. “Just let the process flow because believe us, human force won’t send them off. They have to be off on free will.”

“Well, how I could do that when they bug me all the time? I didn’t even ask them to come to me!” I hissed. “I can’t and I won’t.”

“Good luck.” Somi said as Daehwi sighed silently.

+++

I may have ignored them at one point but I had to try again. As I got back, I decided to talk to them. Despite their heads tilting slightly since I blocked the TV, I had to persuade them.

“I’m having a hard time since you guys came to me. I became unhealthy, I got fired on my jobs, and had my life ruined. I want you guys off at peace but I need you to tell me something.”

The old man and little girl seemed to listen. I spoke again. “You have unaccomplished motives, right? I’ll let you use my body to accomplish those. Just say the word and I’ll do EVERYTHING you guys want.”

“Well, I’m simple.” The old man said. “You see I have a camera-“

“Me first! I want to go up first!” The little girl raised.

“Watch your manners.” The old man hissed.

“What’s childish is the fact that you want to go first because you’re older!” She spat back.

“Wait.” I reacted. “You guys just pick the order but please…let’s do this quickly. I’m tired of already so…”

All of them finally listened and nodded. I was finally in relief.

+++

The old man went first and his unaccomplished motive related towards a camera. We went to every store but he would shake his head, saying that it wasn’t it. The search went on and on when I got tired.

“Yah! It’s all the same brand! What’s so different of the camera you’re talking about?” I asked him.

“It belonged to a person working at Seoul Police Station, just right near Seoul Hospital.” He answered.

“Why didn’t you say so in the beginning?!” I exclaimed.

“You didn’t ask.” He said and went.

+++

The old man and I came inside and met the said person in the police station in the name of Im Youngmin. The said old man used my body and asked for the camera but in the end, I was tossed outside the station.

“Again.” He said.

We tried much later. We followed him to his home and the old man used my body to force him to give the camera back. With that, I was detained in the police station.

“This isn’t helping, idiot. Now I’m behind bars.” I hissed.

The old man just stared at the people inside the station. A woman came in and gave Youngmin lunch, sharing it with the others.

“It’s his wife. I have a plan.” The old man said.

“Quickly.” I hissed and he takes over my body again. “Ah…the life of marriage. It’s not just a simple phase of love right?”

They stared at me but the old man carried on.

“It was so deplorable. That camera…you were supposed to sell it but you wanted to look good in front of your friend so you didn’t sell it. What use was that, idiot? You are married…”

He was shocked and the wife was asking who I was. My conscience was shocked but it seemed his plan was working.

“You’re really not giving the camera to me? And who would’ve thought that friend was a partner…your boyfriend, perhaps? What was the name of the boy again?”

I was back to reality when Youngmin panicked and wanted to give me some gimbap.

“No thanks. I don’t eat others’ food.” I said. “He said it’s in the second drawer. Either you give it or it’s goodbye to special friendship and marriage.”

  • ••••

Being a nurse, you are at the side of the doctors, watching people. Some heal while others suffer. Some come while others give in and go.

I was at my recent duty with Dr. Kim Sejeong as the patient passed away. His son was there to watch his father die and Dr. Kim gave the word to send the patient away.

“Aish, why so loud? A person just died.” A long-term patient walked and paced.

The son ranted as he walked away. In my case, she was a cocky that I really want to punch. But I cared nonetheless as Dr. Kim tasked me to check on a mentally ill patient with Dr. Lim.

Speaking of mentally ill, it made me wonder to where the pretty patient had gone. It had been a while since I’ve seen her.

“Noona~” A guy using a fork to comb his hair greeted.

It was Guanlin, the mentally ill patient that Dr. Lim had taken care of. I checked on him and I was happy that his tray was empty.

He was anorexic and had schizophrenia. He didn’t take meds and didn’t eat a lot of food at first but Dr. Lim and I didn’t give up on him. We saw that he wanted to change so we always guided him. And now, he was getting better.

“Wow~ you look cool today, Guanlin.” I smiled.

“Really?” He gleamed.

“Mina.” Dr. Lim called. “The cocky ’s operation is today. I saw him walk around. Please get him.”

“Ne.” I nodded then patted Guanlin’s head. “I’ll see you later.”

+++

I got to the rooftop and saw the cocky . She was gambling with the other patients as I hissed. “If you keep on acting foolishly, I’ll have to send you to another hospital.”

“Ha. I’m already near my deathbed so why should I go to another place?”

“Whatever, you .” I hissed and she turned around. “Your operation is due in a moment. Go and die unto it if you must.”

+++

“Mina.” Dr. Lim called. “Please check on Mr. Ha. He forgets his medicine sometimes.”

“Okay.” I nodded.

“She doesn’t need to.” Dr. Kim came inside. “He actually has his guardian, a woman.”

“What?” Dr. Lim was shocked. “Mr. Ha doesn’t have a female relative, so to speak.”

“Where is he, Dr. Kim?” I asked.

“At the canteen.”

I huffed and ran towards the place. Upon arrival, I saw Mr. Ha with a woman. What shocked me was that he was drinking.

“Enjoying your meal, Sungwoon-ssi?” I asked him, getting his attention. “You better not drink.”

Mr. Ha greeted me and I saw his guardian. It shocked me.

It was the crazy pretty patient from before.

“You!” I pointed.

She was silent and I couldn’t believe she had gone prettier. But then, her gaze changed. I saw her smirk as she got and drew closer. Too close…

“You’re looking my way. Are you looking at me or at the old man?” She asked.

“What?”

She inches closer and I was flustered. Why am I even blushing? Why is my heart even pumping in front of this woman?

But looking at her, why is she back onto her crazy self? Why is she even flirting with me?

Kang Mina, what in the world are you thinking?

She moved away and was heading to the window. She opened it, letting the wind blow onto her face as she continued her flirtatious expressions.

“I might go crazy with this idiot…” I hissed. “Sungwoon-ssi, is she even your guardian?”

“Must have been a granddaughter of my best friend, Jisung.” He smiled. “She had returned something so valuable to me. She brought my camera back.”

He never expressed happiness during his stay in the hospital but now, he had the biggest smile. In my case as a nurse, it was always a blessing to see the patients happy. Who knew Mr. Ha’s smile had to do with the pretty psycho?

“Mina.” Dr. Lim and Dr. Kim came. “The guardian was the crazy woman?!”

I sighed and got closer to the woman. I pinched her ear and she winced.

“That’s enough crazy , pretty.” I hissed. “Back to admission.”

She may have struggled but I sighed and pulled her back.

+++

“I want to go and see this movie~”

“Doyeon, sweetie. You have a cannula. And going outside is dangerous for you.” Dr. Kim said.

“How about I come with her, Doc?” I suggested.

“Unnie will come! Please Doc?” Doyeon pleaded.

“Okay.” She finally agreed.

Doyeon cheered and I prepared her clothes and her trolley for the oxygen tank. I got closer to the cheering child and I smiled. “Someone’s excited.”

“Let’s go, unnie.” Doyeon said.

“Okay.” I joined her in pure glee. “We need to change you first.”

+++

Doyeon and I were outside and at the mall. There was this cartoon movie that I recommended and Doyeon wanted to watch. Dr. Kim and I agreed to treat her and for her safety, I decided to come with her.

Doyeon was a special patient, depressed with a touch of cancer. She wanted to do a lot of things but her lungs took the best of her. Her parents and the medical team wanted to make her happy so with this opportunity, we hope to make that happen.

I got the tickets and saw Doyeon looking at someone. I smiled and patted her head. “Is the hotdog delicious?”

“Yes, unnie.” She nodded. “And I think that unnie wants one too.”

I wondered and looked to see the pretty psycho. I saw her draw closer as she bowed. I bowed back.

“You seem to like cartoons.” She said.

“I do.” I answered and I saw her holding two tickets. “Do enjoy your movie.”

I excused myself and Doyeon as we decide to go in. Doyeon stopped as she looked back and as we heard a voice.

“How much does that cost these days?”

I looked to see the pretty psycho in her state. She was picking her nose and making orangutan noises.

“What is?” I asked.

“That…” She pointed at Doyeon’s treat. “…is that ten cents or so?”

“Heol…it’s 2 dollars.” I answered.

Doyeon nudged me and we decided to go. As we got inside the cinema, she asked. “Unnie, she’s pretty.”

“But she’s crazy.” I said.

“But you’re blushing.” Doyeon said and I could almost fall onto my knees.

“Ahehe…I think we should watch the movie now.” I said.

+++

I had fun with Doyeon as we watched. But then, the pretty psycho was sitting on the bottom row as she laughed like crazy and talked to someone. She was cute but crazy. It was almost a turn-off.

After the movie, I had to pee and asked Doyeon to wait. As I finished, I was shocked that the pretty psycho was in front of Doyeon, carrying a large box of a robot figurine. She was given all of Doyeon’s candy and I was flustered.

“What are you doing?!” I got closer and almost yelled at her.

She saw me and puts the candy in her pocket. “Uhh…thanks, kid.”

“You’re welcome, ahjumma.” She said.

I chuckled of Doyeon’s call as the psycho ranted that she wasn’t an ahjumma.

“Mina-unnie, I’m hungry.” Doyeon said. “Let’s have black bean noodles.”

“Okay.” I nodded then faced the psycho. “Goodbye, lady.”

Doyeon and I went off and she nudges me. “You used to call her pretty.”

“Eh? Where did you hear that?” I was shocked.

“Dr. Lim would tell me funny stories about you.” Doyeon answered.

That stone…

+++

We got ourselves to a restaurant and ordered a bowl each with some kimchi and pickled radish. I enjoyed this meal as much as Doyeon did but I couldn’t help but look to the side.

The pretty psycho actually followed us and ate black bean noodles. She ate a bowl in minutes and ordered more. I gasped as she finished her fifth bowl.

“Unnie, that ahjumma must be a shikshin.” Doyeon cheered and got to the other table where she was at. “Ahjumma, can you really eat a lot?”

“Doyeon-“

“Are you kidding me? I can eat more than five bowls!” The psycho exclaimed and raised a hand. “One more bowl please!”

The people were shocked as I am. For Doyeon, she wowed and looked at the psycho eat her sixth bowl.

But it had to end when she held her stomach and collapsed. Being a nurse, I went to help her.

“Yah! Shikshin, my !” I helped her up. “You’re overstuffed!”

“It’s alright…” She huffed. “I just need to use the toilet-“

She ended up screaming and running to the wash area.

+++

Somehow, Doyeon got fond of the psycho and in the end, we waited for her to relieve herself from eating. Doyeon went to see a stall of fish-shaped taffy as I waited for the psycho to come out.

She was exhausted as she still had the box at hand. I was a little guilty. Doyeon somehow persuaded her to eat. As a result, the psycho suffered from an upset stomach.

“Sorry about Doyeon.” She said. “She couldn’t overeat her entire life. Seeing a shikshin always fascinated her.”

“It’s okay.” She huffed. “I didn’t know I was. I’m glad little Doyeon was happy about it.”

“We may have met before but I haven’t introduced myself.” I lend a hand. “Kang Mina.”

“Uhh…Kim Sohye.” She shook back. “Pleasure to meet you.”

“Sohye. Pretty name.” I commented.

Real smooth, Mina.

“Unnies! Try this game!” Doyeon waved.

Sohye and I drew closer to the stall and there was a wheel. Hit any part of the wheel and you could win a specific size of fish-shaped taffy. But hitting a red part would win you the biggest one on sale.

I had my two attempts and I ended up winning the smallest ones, just a size of a coin. I decided to let Sohye play since she’s been looking around like an idiot.

“You try.” I handed her the dart.

“No thanks-“

“Please, unnie~?” Doyeon pouted.

Sohye didn’t have a choice and had her go. The wheel spun and Sohye barely looked as she took a hit. Doyeon and I were shocked.

She hits a red part.

“You’re the best, unnie!” Doyeon clapped.

“Congratulations, Sohye.” I smiled.

She was gasping. Seeing the largest portion made her fidget.

“On second thought, you two should have it.” Sohye said as she looked at a distance.

“Really, unnie?” Doyeon was excited.

She nodded but then, her expression changed. She ended up walking and accepting the taffy and went on. She stopped by a car and I heard her talking.

“What in the…” I cussed.

“Mina-unnie, is she okay?” Doyeon asked.

Doyeon and I followed, only to see him talking to no one. I was just as shocked as Doyeon was.

She’s gone crazy again.

“Yah, Kim Sohye.” I spoke and she got my attention. “You eat the whole thing. We’ll be going now.”

“But-“

“Bye!” I spoke and Doyeon and I went ahead.

“Unnie, you think she’s going to eat all of it?” Doyeon asked.

“Yes. She will.” I said.

“That unnie is so cool.” Doyeon smiled.

I chuckled. She was crazy but yes…

…she was cool.

+++

We got to the hospital and I had dressed Doyeon back to her hospital gown. She was very happy with today but she did sulk a little.

“I can’t believe we didn’t get large taffy, unnie. Even the DVD of Adventure Time.”

“Don’t worry, Doyeonnie. Unnie will buy you one next time, okay?”

“Ne.” She nodded.

“Did you have fun, Doyeon-ah?” Dr. Lim asked.

“Yes, doctor~” She nodded.

“Dr. Kim will send you to your bed. I need to talk with your Mina-unnie for a moment.” Dr. Lim said.

Dr. Kim came in and carried Doyeon. She slept in her arms as she was sent to her room. I sighed and got my attention back to Dr. Lim. “What is it, Doc?”

“Your sister…” I gave her a glare and she coughed. “…I mean…the cocky had been looking for you.”

“Okay…” I nodded. “I’ll visit her.”

+++

Walking down the quiet hallways of the hospital, the happy expression I carried changed into a sad one. I got to the room where she was as I froze.

Kim Chungha. It seemed we have different last names but we had the same mother. Even if we share only have of the blood, I was her only family now. My parents and her father died years ago and we had only each other. She supported me with my studies and I graduated in nursing.

But it came with a price of mistreatment and gambling. She changed just because I accomplished my dream and she didn’t. She had tuberculosis and I stripped off her dream of dancing because her lungs were weak. If she did continue, I cannot let her die because of it. She got mad at it. She got mad at me. That’s why we weren’t in good terms.

She stays in the hospital because I wanted her to live but with her treatment towards me, I want her to die.

I called her when she had a seizure and coughed blood. I called doctors Lim and Kim and they were at my aid. Dr. Kim checked on her as Dr. Lim comforted me and got me away.

We got outside and I ended up frustrated.

+++

Dr. Kim wasn’t available. It didn’t make sense that a nurse would replace her for the time being but it was prior to her request.

Now, I was meeting with one of her patients.

“Did you ask your guardian about it?” I asked but she didn’t answer. “How about more treatments?”

“Do you think I can live for five more months?” She asked. “You may be able to provide treatment but it won’t help for long.”

“No?” I asked again.

“I’m sorry. Tell Dr. Kim about it.” She said and I nodded.

She left and I wondered as Sohye was in the hospital. She went through the emergency exit and I followed her. She was sitting by the stairs and lighting up a cigarette.

“You know Mr. Kim Jaehwan?” I asked her. “And please don’t smoke too.”

She killed her cigarette and I sighed. “It’s lung cancer. Mr. Kim has it and he actually presumed that his best friend had it too. That’s why he died.”

“What about Mr. Kim?” Sohye asked.

“He doesn’t want treatment. With that, his chances of living will be short.” I answered.

“I think he’ll live longer.” Sohye said.

“Umm…Doyeon and I actually had fun with your company and…she wants to see you again so…” I handed her a card. “…here’s my number.”

Sohye nodded and accepted it. I excused myself for duty when she said something.

“What about you?” She asked. “Didn’t you want to see me again?”

I stopped at the question. But in my case, it was better to be honest.

“I wanted to.” I said. “I hope I see you soon.”

  • ••••

Being with the ghosts took a toll in my life. With all the unaccomplished motives accomplished, I even got to know their names.

The old man was Jisung. He was erted and deranged. His antics actually got me arrested, all thanks to a camera. But in reality, it was actually for his friend’s camera, the old guy in the hospital by the name of Ha Sungwoon.  His accomplished motive was for friendship. The aftermath was much sweeter. I met the pretty nurse for the second time.

The kid was Yoojung. She was hyper and nosy. Her antics cost me my appetite. But in reality, it was just the mere desires of children from getting a toy to getting a treat. Her unaccomplished motive was about youth. The next aftermath was much sweeter. I made a child named Doyeon and got to know the pretty nurse, Mina.

The smoker was Minhyun. He was charming and silent. His antics cost me my lungs and my stamina. But in reality, it was for his friend suffering in a respiratory ailment in which had owned his favorite taxi and who got away from his pregnant wife. His unaccomplished motive was for self-fulfillment. The third aftermath was the sweetest so far. I got Mina’s number and in fact, she wanted to see me again.

Now, Minhyun got the taxi and he rode me towards a beach. The two of us sat down as I enjoyed the view of the sea.

“Are you married?” I asked him.

“I did.” He said.

“You had kids?” I asked and he nodded. “How does it feel like?”

“Why you ask? I could find it impossible in a woman.” He remarked.

“It’s not like that. I was just curious.” I said.

“When you get married, you two live together. If you have a kid, you three live together.” He said.

“How witty with arithmetic operations.” I said and we chuckled. “Do you like it?”

“Of course. It’s the best gift you could ever have. You live alone and then the next thing you know, you have a companion.” Minhyun sighed. “Most of it had hardships. Seriously, living is hard. But the more the merrier as they say.”

“Well, if you would imply that living with people would multiply the strength, it would multiply the hardship. Are you stupid?” I spat.

“That’s true….but it’s family that gives you strength all the time. It’s an important vessel in everyone that keeps them living.”

I was fazed. His words actually lifted me in a way. The next phase of events shocked me when he started to take off his clothes. My body was in control as I also took off mine.

“What are you doing?!” I struggled as I got myself covered.

“A part of my unaccomplished motives was to swim in the sea.” He said as he got his pants off.

“Yah! You said you only have one wish!! And I’m a woman!! I only have my bra and , you idiot!” I exclaimed.

“It’s part of self-fulfillment.” He smiled.

Minhyun and I ran and dipped onto the cold and salty sea. I struggled since I wasn’t a good swimmer but he advised me how to float and I somehow calmed.

Looking at the distance, the other ghosts caught up. They were smiling watching us. And somehow, I plastered a smile.

+++

Minhyun drove us back home. I reached outside, feeling the cold wind beyond my fingertips.

“Wow. It is real wind.” I said.

“See?” Minhyun spoke and I nodded.

“Can we stop by to eat?” Yoojung asked.

We ended up laughing. For the first time in my life, I was happy.

+++

Looking at the ghosts, it has been a while since someone visited. I wished they were people. That was my thought before. But now, their presences weren’t that bad anymore.

I had fun with them. From the large taffy together, shopping for cartoon tapes to rides in the taxi. I even smoked and had fun. Minhyun somehow stopped and it made me stop too.

“That’s odd. Are you concerned of my health now?” I asked.

“Yes.” He said.

“You must’ve died of lung cancer, huh?” I asked.

“No. I died in a car accident.” He said.

I heard calls and saw a police car, calling me to stop driving. My inner conscience sighed.

Even I said that their presences weren’t that bad, it would also become the worst of me.

+++

I was detained due to driving without a license and smoking. My eyes saw the perception of the police yet my body couldn’t stop it. They may see me as a woman with a multiple disorder but if only they could see that I was a lonely woman controlled by mere ghosts.

“What are you doing?!” A cop spat. “Didn’t I tell you to call your guardian?”

“I’m at my age, officer. Can’t I be my own guardian?” I asked.

“You’re mentally unstable, miss.” The cop said. “You know what, if you have no guardian, how about your family?”

“If I have none, would you arrest me?” I asked again.

“Yah! We’re doing all we can to get you out of here quickly. Seriously? There’s no one?” He asked again and I shook my head. “Aigoo…how could you even live life like that?”

Those words triggered me and I became a body of negativity. I lowered my head and fidgeted my hands in my pockets when I felt a piece of paper. I grabbed it out and gulped.

Should I call Mina to get me out of here?

  • ••••

It was unnatural but my feet had gone involuntary with just one call. The next thing I know, I was at the police station. I got inside when I froze as I saw Sohye talking.

It wasn’t her crazy side nor her happy side. It was a sad one.

“Do you know when the most people die? It’s the holidays. With that, loneliness grows. But seeing the happy faces of many, I realize that I was the only one living differently.”

I was never a fortune teller. I couldn’t even care less of the greetings the cops had. Seeing and hearing Sohye made me want to listen even more.

“It’s true that my life is crap. I would’ve just earn the money I work, marry the person I love, have children, and work my off for them despite the hardship but it was just a dream. It’s a dream that a person with no one could never have…”

I gulped. I guess Sohye wasn’t the pretty psycho after all. She’s a lost beauty…

“I lived really hard, afraid of being called an orphan. I mean, ever since I was born, I asked myself. Is there anyone who was born with a family set? You can make them one by one. If you look at my pictures, it only had me by myself. But looking at them, it made me see as if they were right behind me. Thinking of them myself, I was each member.”

“Sohye…” I finally spoke.

“Miss, how are you related to her?” The cop asked.

I didn’t answer him. I had a shocked Sohye to worry about. I worry not just a nurse. I worry as a friend.

Or maybe something more than that…

“Mina…”

I got closer and hugged her, letting myself hear her heartbeat. I sighed. It was the heartbeat of the lonely. It may be quick but it was a quick heartbeat of sadness.

“Mina, why are you-“

“I came here for her. She’s a friend.” I said to the cops. “If I file some papers, then will you release her?”

+++

I got Sohye released. I also ended up driving the taxi since I got my license weeks ago. It was quite a ride for the both of us and the silence was unpleasant.

“You seem to have a intriguing story back there.” I said to her. “If there was one thing I wanted to throw away, it was family.”

“Oh…” Sohye reacted.

“Where’s your home?” I averted the thought.

Sohye relayed the directions and I managed to get her home and parked the taxi. We got out and Sohye stopped me.

“I didn’t expect you to come. Thank you.” She bowed.

“No sweat.” I said and offered her a pouch. “It’s candy. I’ll give you so that you won’t take from children.”

Sohye could only nod and I decided to go when she stopped me again. I looked back and I was shocked to be given a large carton. I looked at the content and it was full of cartoon tapes.

“You said you liked cartoons. Those were from home and I don’t watch them much anymore so…they’re for you.”

I blushed as I thank her and left. But then, I stopped when she ran and got in front of me.

“On second thought, let me help you with that.” She said and carried the box for me.

She was funny. Nonetheless, I followed her while we walked to the bus stopped. I took glances at her as we waited. She carried that box for someone with a skinny stature.

“My bus is here.” I said.

Sohye nodded and I got the box. I nodded goodbye and got on the bus, got a seat and held the box when it stopped. I was shocked to see Sohye getting in as she sat next to me and held the box for me again.

“Sorry…I couldn’t bear you carrying the weight all the way home.” Sohye said.

“Oh…t-thanks…” I stuttered and looked away.

I can’t believe I was blushing. I relax myself and got back to her attention.

“Mina.” She called. “Why did you hug me?”

“Back as the station?” I asked and she nodded. “Sorry. It was a habit when I see someone so sad and to hear your heartbeat.”

“Was it healthy?” She asked.

“It was.” I answered. “Your parents gave you a strong heart.”

. Did I trigger her?

I looked at her and she smiled. I was relieved.

“Then, to be fair…can I hear yours?” Sohye asked.

“What?”

I couldn’t move as Sohye drew her ear closer to my chest. My blush would be visible by now as I try to relax. Sohye sat properly again as she commented. “It was quick. It had a bright sound too.”

*ring*

“I’m getting down here. Thanks again, Mina.”

“You’re welcome, Sohye.” I smiled.

She got off and the rode went on until I got home.

For the first time in my life, I plaster a large smile.

  • ••••

I walked back to the station and Minhyun waited with a chuckle. This ghost has scored another aftermath for me and I was so happy.

The next day and I came face to face with the last one. The crying woman was Chaeyeon.

“I…” She began. “I wanted to make a meal for my loved ones and enjoy that meal with them.”

“Then can you give me a list of your loves ones? Finding them would take too long.” I said.

She was thinking hard as if she had no answers. I wondered. “Don’t you have any people you want to eat with?”

She couldn’t tell me that she ended up crying again. She sniffled and wiped her tears and asked. “Shall we just eat together?”

“If we did, you might say something else later. Best if you say it now and correctly.” I said.

“Then just a dinner with you and the others.” Chaeyeon said.

“Okay, then.” I nodded.

“Then…” Chaeyeon added. “…can we add one more person?”

+++

We got ourselves to the hospital again. I wonder who was Chaeyeon inviting but as she smiled, I got the idea. It made me excited and giddy.

She was going to invite Mina.

Chaeyeon and I saw her on duty and she grew closer. I tried to stop her but it was too late. I got closer to Mina, my fingers touching her clip.

“This looks pretty. How much is this?”

She gasped but regained her smile. “Sohye.”

“Hey, Mina. I have business here.” I grinned.

“I see.” She nodded.

“Mina.” I called and there was a weak woman shorter than her. “Is she your girlfriend?”

I was shocked. The woman faced me. “I’m Chungha, Mina’s sister-“

“You need to get back to your room. I’ll deliver your medicine.” Mina batted.

“Uhh…I saw two shamans before, male and female. They told me my Mina here would get married.” Chungha spoke and got closer. “Are you married?”

“Huh?” I was shocked. “Well, it’s my dream, unnie.”

“How about kids?” She asked excitedly.

“Maybe two-“

“Unnie, please…” Mina spat. “…just go inside.”

I felt awkward as Chungha-unnie walked off slowly yet came to my attention quickly. “Mind me for asking. It’s just that I couldn’t wait too long. I wanted her to get married soon-“

“Stop being so ing condescending and just go inside!!” Mina yelled.

Chungha-unnie went silent. I was shocked. “Mina…why did you yell at your sister like that?”

“What is it to you if I treat her that way?” Mina spat. “Do you know my history with this person?! Do you know what she did to me?!”

“Mina…family is still family…” I said.

“You say that despite not having one, thinking that it would be great. But not to me, Sohye.” Mina began.

“Mina…”

“You know what, forget this.” Mina sighed. “Don’t get into my business again.”

She passed by me and her unnie coughed as she walked away. I had gone frustrated and ran off, with Chaeyeon telling me to wait.

+++

With the frustrations and the garage sale downstairs, I sold all of my stuff. Chaeyeon was the most worried as she tried to stop me but I stopped her instead. “The things don’t matter, okay?! I don’t live through them and I will fulfill your motive so would you please leave me alone?!!”

A ring was heard. I got to the door and I was shocked to see someone.

“Chungha-unnie?”

“Sohye-ssi…” She spoke and I let her come in. “…I won’t take long.”

“What brings you here? And in your hospital gown?” I asked.

“Can you do something for me?” Chungha-unnie asked. “My deathbed is drawing near. Could you send a message to Mina for me?”

+++

And as expected on the next day, Chungha-unnie passed away. I got to the funeral home and saw Mina by the coffin. I called her as she wondered of my visit.

“Sohye…”

“Mina.” I greeted. “We need to talk.”

+++

We got ourselves outside and I had to confess everything.

“Mina, it may be hard to believe but…I can see dead people.” I began. “You may not also believe this but…your sister came to see me and she told me to tell you she’s sorry…”

“Weird. Why did it have to come from you?” She spoke as she teared up. “I also wonder why I feel angry? I was the reason why she became like that…”

“But she realized that you did it for her. You didn’t want to let her die, Mina. You know that.” I spoke again. “With that, she’s sorry.”

“I’m sorry…” She sniffled. “…please leave.”

I nodded and left. I ended up crying lightly as I went home.

+++

Mina and I would’ve had something but I realized it wasn’t meant to be. Now, I only had an empty apartment and money from the garage sale.

I faced a closet with Minhyun, Jisung, and Yoojung, hearing Chaeyeon’s cries. I opened it and she was hiding.

“Again with the crying…” I sighed.

“I feel sorry, that’s why…” Chaeyeon sniffled.

“You said you wanted to make a meal and have dinner.” I said. “Let’s go, Chaeyeon. We need to buy ingredients if you want to cook.”

+++

Her frown faded as she went to the market with me. There were times I made the initiative to get some ingredients and there were times she took control, making me look like a motherly figure.

Nonetheless, we bought the ingredients together and got home to make dinner. Looking at Chaeyeon as she mostly made the meal, I was happy that a part of her motive was accomplished.

A ring greeted the place again and I went to greet an unexpected guest.

  • ••••

Losing Chungha-unnie was supposed to be a relief of my thoughts. I would’ve been glad she’s gone. Her inside the hospital was a burdensome. She wasn’t doing her will to live properly and sometimes mistreated me.

But I suddenly miss her. Somehow, I regret of those times I stopped her dream to dance. I regret of my mistreatment despite of seeing her change and wish me the best of life. What’s worse was that I got mad at Sohye, the one Chungha-unnie suddenly paired to me, the pretty psycho, and the person that I finally liked.

I was outside to relieve everything. Mr. Ha came to sit next to me as he got something.

“Sungwoon-ssi…”

“Mina. Let me tell you something.” Mr. Ha spoke. “You’ve been a good nurse. You have worked hard and lived yourself to mend for the sick. Now that you’ve lost a sick person, instead to trying to live with the dead…why you don’t try to live with those who want to live?”

“Would I be able to do that with regrets?” I asked.

“You won’t have regrets if you believe you don’t have them.” He said as he scooted something. “It seems that this needs to be returned to that special one.”

“Sohye?”

“She may have lost her way but she resembled Jisung a lot. I may have owned this camera but I give it to her now.” He added. “It’s about time she enlightened herself with who she really is.”

He left me there and I looked at the camera. With sudden steps, I make the move.

+++

I got back to an apartment and knocked on the door. I waited and the door opened as I saw her again.

“Mina…”

She had gone more beautiful. Seeing her wear an apron made her look cute. But then, I realized my agenda and handed the camera to her.

“Sungwoon-ssi said to give it back to you.” I said and noticed a meal by her table. “Are you with someone?”

She accepted the camera and looked back at the meal then at me. “No. I’m by myself. Technically, I’m with some people…the unseen ones…”

“I see…” I nodded.

“Mina.” Sohye called. “Have dinner with me.”

+++

I accepted it after all that had happened. It was silent and the food was left untouched. Sohye said her thanks for the meal and even served me some meal. I slowly joined her and we finally start to eat.

“Do you usually cook?” I asked.

“Cooking?” Sohye asked. “Well, if you have someone you love, you’ll cook everyday. And that’s what I’m doing now.”

I was flustered in a way but I couldn’t help my smile. Sohye scooted some gimbap and I got a piece.

“Sohye, did you stop smoking?” I asked.

“Not anymore. Health comes first.” She answered.

“And you seem to like sweets.” I added, eating some egg.

She looked up and I did too, seeing her taffy being hung, wrapped in cellophane, with only the tail portion left.

“Should we do it again?” Sohye asked. “I got confident with the wheel thing. I’ll get another and give you and little Doyeon.”

I chuckled at her and she releases that goofy smile. But seeing it, it made me recall the time we had our meetings, especially those times she would go crazy. And with the confession, I decided to ask her. “Sohye?”

“Yes?” She responded.

“What kind of a person are you?” I began. “I saw you as a person with a lot of characteristics but you had a healthy heart. I wonder if it’s yours.”

Sohye and I stopped eating. She sighed and spoke.

“When you were young, she said you loved your stepsister despite the blood. Even if you stripped her off of her dream due to her condition, you did it for her. She was happy that she was with you before she died. She was thankful that she actually wanted to give you something…that she left it at a place where you always played.”

“Sohye…” I spoke. “…can you really see dead people? Are there any in this room?”

She didn’t answer.

“Where I work, people go almost everytime. But you…you see them, even talk to them. You even see my sister.” I continued. “Thinking it like that…I’m suffering right now.”

“Mina…”

“In fact, you saying this makes me confused of you, like I don’t want to know you anymore.” I sighed and stood up. “I ate dinner well. I’m leaving now.”

I excused myself and left the house. As I closed the door, I walked away with tears in my eyes.

Was I right to push Sohye away?

  • ••••

You saying this makes me confused of you, like I don’t want to know you anymore…

What kind of a person am I? Is this heart even mine?

Why am I even asking this? No one wouldn’t know.

I saw the four of them still eating and I had gone sick of it. I excused myself and faced them. “I fulfilled all your motives, didn’t I? Shouldn’t you all be leaving?!”

They stopped eating and lowered  their heads. I pointed at a midget. “Yoojung, I got you the toy, the taffy and the movie. So shouldn’t you be leaving?”

“Jisung, you ert.” I batted. “I gave to Sungwoon-ssi your camera and now he wants it back so shouldn’t you be leaving?!”

Minhyun looked at me as if he wanted to say something but I stopped him. “Minhyun, I got back and forth to the police station now. Isn’t that good enough for you? And you got to drive that taxi and swim at the beach so shouldn’t you be leaving?!”

“And Chaeyeon.” I huffed. “I ate well. I’ll do the dishes so go.”

I went to my room to sleep.

Good riddance to those four…

+++

A new day has come and so did my old life. The ghosts were gone, my furniture were gone, even Mina was gone. I lived on with the usual life, trying the activities I did before but up to what extent? I was still lonely.

Sitting in the taxi, I was reminded of what those ghosts did to me. I realized that they may have caused me trouble but they also brought me a new view in life: to love.

And Mina became a vessel of it…

“Mina…”

I shouldn’t have clung back to this ed up life. I can’t live with the dead. I have to live with the living.

I got out of my taxi, getting my apron and deciding to cook.

  • ••••

Where I work, people go every second. But never in my life have I expected that I have to face an important death twice.

Guanlin and Doyeon passed away at the same time and I watched their families mourn for them as they were sent away. I ended up crying silently, even Dr. Lim and Dr. Kim were teary.

“Mina.” I heard Dr. Lim say. “How about you get a day-off?”

“Thanks…” I said. “I need to go somewhere anyway.”

 +++

I got to the park, the place where Chungha-unnie and I used to play. I wouldn’t be going to this place but Sohye’s words were ringing too much in my head. I headed towards the tree swing since we usually played.

And I have found out initials by a rock. I got closer and saw an X mark. I dug the dirt out with my bare hands and I saw a little box. I opened to see a necklace with a caduceus as a pendant.

Sohye was telling the truth after all…

I ended up crying and wore the necklace when a hand stopped me. I looked up, seeing Sohye.

“You got dirt in your hands.” Sohye wipes my hands and my necklace.

She got the necklace and puts it on me. I look at her again as she had something. “Will you have lunch with me?”

I could only nod and we sat on a bench. Sohye opened her package and she brought gimbap.

“I made them myself. You seemed to like them on the last dinner.” Sohye said.

“Thanks.” I said and got a bite. “These are delicious.”

“I’m glad you like them.” Sohye smiled and ate with me.

“You know…” I spoke as I ate. “…when people get a big shock, they say they forget their memories.”

“Really?” Sohye asked.

“Yes. It was what Doyeon felt.” I said. “It was almost unfair. She couldn’t remember her family and she didn’t even know that she would die. It’s why the team and I…we care so much for our little patients.”

“I’m sorry for Doyeon. But as I could see, she was really happy.” Sohye sighed. “I never thought that my first and last for her.”

“And Sohye…” I spoke. “I’m so sorry for last dinner. I was so confused and didn’t get used to it.”

“It’s fine. Those unseen beings left. I’m not the psycho anymore.” Sohye said.

“Is that possible?” I asked.

“Weirdly, yes…” Sohye nodded. “I thought I was dead yet someone wakes me up. And I get mad about it and at that, I made a recent attempt of suicide through carbon monoxide.”

“Sohye!” I was worried.

“The gas wouldn’t be foggy since it’s colorless and odorless. But it did make me dizzy. But beneath the deadly gas, I saw a face…” Sohye began. “I saw you, Mina…and with that I decide to wake up…and be with you…”

That was the best confession I’ve ever heard. It was from the real Sohye and I liked it. But of course, I was awkward as she was.

“Anyways…” She coughed. “….the necklace looks good on you.”

“And anyways…” I grinned. “…the carton you sent me had adult videos.” I then smirked at her. “That was the best of the set.”

Sohye spits her gimbap and I chuckled. I ate again and Sohye stuffs with gimbap again. We ended up having puffy cheeks as we gulped and ate again.

“I was curious…” I ate again. “…usually they put spinach in gimbap. But these have parsley.”

She said that it was from her mom, that it was good for the blood. I wondered as she froze and the gimbap fell from .

  • ••••

“Oh, yeah…” I spoke and ate. “My mom said that parsley is good for the blood so…”

I could feel the gimbap fall from my mouth as the thought hit me. I gulped the remaining gimbap and I felt my tears fall.

I saw my mother cooking gimbap and she always added parsley. I saw her face as she feeds me. I always see her face as she would sleep next to me and one time at the market, she saw a mother and a tall daughter and that mother looped her arm around her daughter’s.

“How big must my Sohye grow so that I could loop my arms around her?”

It made sense. The way she smiled at the market and the way she looped her arm around mine.

Chaeyeon the crying lady was my mother.

“Sohye, what’s wrong?” I heard Mina ask.

“Mina.” I faced her and I held her hands. “We should rest. I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Uhh…okay.” Mina nodded.

I pecked her forehead and let her have the rest of the gimbap. I bid goodbye as I went far enough, I ran as I cried.

Memories kept flooding. Those ghosts, whom I thought were nothing to me, were actually the integral part of my life.

I was a beaten kid when my sister fought the bullies. They ran off as she spits on the dust and helped me out.

“Don’t worry, Sohye-ya…” She smiled and scraped the dust off of me. “We’ll watch that movie soon.”

The midget kid Yoojung was my sister.

“Honey! Yoojung-ah! Sohye-ya! Father!”

My father came and got the new car we have which looked like a taxi. We all wowed and I even felt the metal.

“Since I got this as ours, we’ll go to the beach and swim.” He cheered.

“For someone so charming and innocent, you had gone active, Honey!” My Eomma Chaeyeon smiled.

“Minhyun-ah, I’ll get the camera.”

Minhyun the smoker was my father.

“Yah, Jisung! You better bring that back!” I heard Sungwoon-ssi yell.

“Yeah, yeah!” My grandfather spoke.

He ran back and got a camera and a stand. He sets the camera and we stood to pose. Grandpa ran and joined the picture.

And Jisung the ert was my grandfather.

I recalled the time when Daddy Minhyun drove us to the beach. I recalled the time when the gas was empty and a strong impact came. I recalled the time the car fell where Grandpa Jisung held onto the railings, where Yoojung-unnie was protected by Daddy Minhyun, and when Mommy Chaeyeon wrapped herself around to protect me. I recalled the time someone took the camera and took me away from a car wreck.

When people get a big shock, they say they forget their memories.

The car accident was the beginning of my lost life. And now that I know who they were and why they were here, I had to ask for forgiveness.

“Where are you guys?!” I cried as I got in my apartment. “Come as you please. How could you just do whatever you want and go?!”

I crouched and cried, begging them not to leave. My tears dropped when I felt a pat by my head. I looked up and sniffled. “Unnie…”

“Sohye-ya. Don’t cry or else I’ll kick your like those bullies did.” Yoojung-unnie said as she pointed at the figurine she wanted. “I’ll leave that to you. I can’t bring it to Heaven plus it’s childish. Don’t give it to other children, excluding your future children.”

“Did you confess now, my grandchild?” I looked to the side and there was Grandpa Jisung. “Always remember that sincerity is the lock of love.”

“You have grown us so much, my daughter…” I looked at the back and there was Daddy Minhyun. “Just as charming as me. But please quit smoking.”

“You taught me that, Dad!” I chuckled.

“I did…” He laughed then got teary. “Don’t be scared of cars now. Learn how to drive properly and remember that I’ll always guide you so that you won’t get into an accident.”

“Dad…” I sniffled as he wiped my tears.

“I’ll drive with you…” He said.

“I’m so sorry, Sohye-ya…” I looked back and there was Mommy Chaeyeon.

“Mommy…” I sobbed as I got closer. “…let me come with you…”

“No, my Sohye…your life is here…” She added and wiped my tears. “I’m so sorry that I left you alone first. Mommy is really sorry, okay? But please remember that Grandpa, Dad, Yoojung-unnie, and I will always be here for you.”

“And Sohye-ya…” Grandpa Jisung patted my head as they all gathered around me. “Mina had lost her family. And now, she has you. She will need you now. And I know you need her too. Let her be a reason to live, okay?”

“She’s a precious girl, Sohye-ya. Did she like my gimbap?” Mommy Chaeyeon asked.

“Yes…” I teared up. “…she made me remember you guys…”

Mommy Chaeyeon sighed and hugged me. I ended up crying in her arms as I hug her back.

“I would’ve forced you to remember before I left but it had to be on you to remember. Thank for remembering us, Sohye-ya. Thank you for remembering me and for growing up so well.”

“Ah…our time is almost up.” Grandpa Jisung said. “Why don’t we take a picture?”

He got the camera on and we got to pose again. He sets the timer and he ran back to take a picture.

“Say cheese~”

“Cheese~”

+++

“I may be alone in my memories from my graduations, the wedding, your 100 days, and up to this day, I know that they’re always there.”

“Appa, that’s a sad story. Tell me another one.”

“Wanna hear about your grandfather and great-grandfather?” I asked and she nodded. “Your grandfather was charming and a good taxi driver. Your great-grandfather was a photographer and a good airplane pilot but-“

“Meh.”

“Seriously, Doyeon…what story should I tell you?” I asked.

“Your love story with Eomma~~” She cheered.

I chuckled and got up, looking for my wife. I saw her with my pictures. We may have been married for almost five years but she was still beautiful. I got to hug her from the back and kissed her head. “Mina-ya…”

“Sohye-ya, stop it…” Mina giggled as I give her multiple kisses. “Our little Doyeon might see…”

“So sweet~~” And she did, doing a heart sign.

Our child was named after Mina’s favorite child at the hospital and the child that brought us together. And just like her, out little daughter was as cute as her. I chuckled and hoisted her up as she got the pictures. I hugged her, kissing her cheek.

“We must eat again.” Doyeon pouted.

Mina and I nodded and went back to the table to eat black bean noodles. Just like me, Doyeon was a great eater. Mina would join in and the pictures she had retrieved were placed on the table.

“Appa…” I saw Doyeon look at my graduation picture. "...who are these people?"

Mina and I had our heads up, noodles by our mouths. For Doyeon, she slurped hers and smiled at us.


That was the story, everyone. For Agyusshi, my bae, sorry that it took me time to finish but I hope you like it.