I See You

IOI Shikshins One-Shot Collection

This is inspired by the Filipino movie, Kita Kita (I See You). Hope you'll like it.

===

*beep*

What did you just text me? Are you going to cancel again? I just got my leave, man...sheesh...

One more of the mascara and the woman was finished making her face up. She sighs and answers the call.

"We'll just see each other next year. We still need to save. I haven't seen Hyeyeon either since she had gotten busy."

Seriously? Come on, Mina. You and Hyeyeon have been engaged for two years. Why the delay?

"So what if we're two years engaged and there's a delay? It can wait, even the wedding can wait."

Aigoo...anyways, I'll just cancel my leave so I don't have to waste time. I'll call you later.

"Okay, Sejeong-unnie."

The call ended and so did her get-up. She got up, checked herself in the mirror before getting her duffel bag and stepping outside to water her plants.

"What is this? Why are you guys still short? You're not even bonsai trees..." She sighed and continued while pointing at her flowers. "You guys don't even bloom. The sun's up 24/7. Don't go all lazy or else I'll replace you with a tangerine seedling."

It was almost weird to talk to plants but they say it's a way to make them grow nicely. Nonetheless, she placed the sprinkler back and bid goodbye to her plants. She got to her bike, riding around the streets of Japan.

Her name was Kang Mina. She was a half-tangerine and half-cinammon roll because of her cuteness. She wss a tour guide and a pure Korean working in Japan. She would go around the city of Sapporo with a cool bike, almost like a bellow taxi, giving tourists a wonderful experience of their stay in the said city and the said country.

Her main stop was the Odori Park as most tourists would always stop there. It was the heart of Sapporo. Mina would work and see tourists and locals do their walks of life in the said park. When the tour was over, she'd give them paper cranes. It was a Japanese thing. It gave peace and luck. They say that when you make a thousand paper cranes, your wish will come true.

At the end of the day, Mina would rest and sometimes talked to locals. One of the most significant people she talked to was with a mother and child, together with a friend. They shared some stuff and a topic of time came to a point. Mina would explain about it but the kid was stubborn. The kid ended up running away and almost trioped herself but thanks to another local, the kid was safe.

"Aigoo...come on, little one. Back to your mom." Mina said and the kid went to hug her mom.

"I'm sorry for my daughter. She can get frisky sometimes," said the Japanese mom. "Anyways, when are you getting married?"

"Well...only time can tell." Mina grinned. "Nice meeting you."

They nodded and bid goodbye. Mina waved backa and checked the time. It was 8 PM and she was excited. She got to her bike and went to a place.

She was seeing Hyeyeon again.

+++

"Hello? Hyeyeon? Where are you?" Mina called as soin as she got there.

Sorry, babe. I have a meeting. 

"What? And what if you have a meeting? Did you forget that we're supposed to meet tonight? Yah!" Mina batted. "You promised me!"

Heol...I did?

"Heol...of course you did!" Mina batted. "Whatever, just get in here!"

I can't... I'm really sorry, babe.

"You know what? Fine! Don't go! I'm going home anyways. Sorry, my ..." Mina mumbled and hung up.

Mina could flip out but she would've gotten used to it since Hyeyeon had gotten way busy. She sighed and looked at the place.

The place was special to Mina. This is where Hyeyeon proposed to her and this was almost a turf wherein they would spend time together. But lately, they had less time for each other. Mina was lost in this as she decided to go home.

Mina rode back dejectedly on a cold night. She has seen and fet things like this and she learned that whatever surprise coming up ahead, whether good or bad, she would've just accepted it. At the time, it was a bad surprise that she needed to accept. 

Mina got her bike parked and looked at her plants. She gasped. Not only her flowers bloomed, she got a bouquet sprawled on the table. Mina giggled and got it, all while calling Hyeyeon.

"Hello? Babe? Thanks for the surprise!!" 

You got the bouquet? I had Haebin to send it there. Mind me for being busy and not coming tonight. I'm really sorry. You're still mad at me, right?

"I'm not now. I'm alright, Hyeyeon-ah. Thank you."

Okay. I'll see you soon. I love you.

"I love you too. Bye."

Mina looked at the bouquet and smiled. She thought of accepting whatever surprise up ahead and she got it. She chuckled and got inside her home with a smile on her face.

+++

Another day came and Mina was at the park, eating yakisoba. She was slurping some noodles when she saw a familiar person. "Omo-Siyeon!!"

The tall girl looked at her and smiled sadly. Mina noticed it. "Are you alright?"

"Hey, Mina. I'm good...although work is tolling me of my life. It's stressful." Siyeon said.

"Lunch?" Mina asked, raising her cup.

"I'm good, Mina." Siyeon answered.

"Hey..." Mina slurped then gulped. "...you can talk to me if you're down. Besides, we're Koreans in Japan. We need to help each other out." 

"I know. Thanks, Mina." Siyeon smiled lightly. "Is Hyeyeon around?"

"Yes...but busy." Mina answered.

"Anyways, I need to go. Take care, Mina." Siyeon said and waved goodbye.

Mina waved back as Siyeon left and continued to eat. As she was done, she walked around, onky to be greeted by a mysterious woman giving her a letter. As Mina accepted it, she read it.

Meet me at the bar. I'll see you there.

"Sapporo beer, huh?" Mina asked and chuckled.

She shrugged and went on. She was giddy and was hoping to see Hyeyeon, for real this time.

+++

Mina got to the said venue and called Sejeong to pass the time. They talked about how Mina was ogling of Hyeyeon and even an assumption of a wedding coming up. The talk lasted for a while until Sejeong had to go because of a busy schedule at work. Mina hung up, counting the glasses of beer she had drunk and also retouching her face so that she can look good to Hyeyeon.

Mina got her mirror up to put some foundation when she saw a familiar pair by the reflection. Mina took another look and it hit her. She got up to get a closer look at the pair and she froze, seeing Hyeyeon with Siyeon. Mina faced them, frozen, silenced even. For Hyeyeon and Siyeon, they broke apart from their moment, lowering their heads lightly.

Mina wanted to scream, to kick their asses, and to cuss at them. She even wanted to just die or let her life be taken in a snap. But she can't flip out. She had to calm herself down. But in times like these, how can she not?

One.

Cho Hyeyeon, you indecent little piece of ! How could you do this to me, huh? You said you were busy, huh? You're busy flirting!! You're even worse than a , you !! You're so indecent I could slice your nether region into tiny pieces and feed them to the dogs!

Two.

Park Siyeon, you ing prissy pole! After being so willing to comfort you of your worries, you had the decency to betray a fellow Korean?! Yah! I taught you of the place and was even grateful that you and Hyeyeon were fellow Koreans in Japan. But what in the actual ?!! You flirt with my woman?!! I could just cut your stupidly long hair, bawl your ing eyeballs with lenses out, mix the two into spaghetti and meatballs and feed it to the dogs for their main course!!! You're a beast!! You're more beastly that a beast itself! You're a thief!!

Three.

We're three fellow Koreans working our asses out in a foreign country but why the do we have to be in a field of theft, of deceit? And you two!! You two are ing es!!!

Four.

Four years I've waited for a goddamn wedding and here you two are, kissing in front of me, doing lovey-dovey stuff in front of me. Have you got no decency? And you Hyeyeon!! You almost let me wait for the fifth year!

Five.

It's has been five years since I found out that Hyeyeon was a Korean working in Sapporo. We first met in a bar. I got fired in my last job as a penguin mascot and was relieving myself with some drinks. That became a rountine and I saw Hyeyeon everday, making me fall for her bit by bit.

Six.

She had six dimples when she smiles. Two visible ones and four at the bottom, almost microsopic yet I had keen eyes.

Seven.

I drank a total of seven shots times seven days after she changed my life, making it forty-nine...

Eight.

Eight times I kept together for her sake, even eight times resisting myself to piss at the very moment just so that I can be with her for a long time. I can't believe I'm more concerned of my moments with her than my excretory system.

Nine.

We only had nine major dates back then until such time she proposed to me. I thought Hyeyeon's the one. No more blood clots on the heart. This was fate so my heart will be eased anyways.

Ten.

It was the start of the misery. I always called her ten times when we were supposed to meet. The reason? Forgetfulness. Such a petty reason. Yet I didn't change. I was still coming. I was expecting. I was waiting...and I wondered if she felt the same...and I even shared my misery with a person wearing a shark costume.

And when Mina finished counting again, maybe this was fate's way of saying that it wasn't fate at all, that this whole relationship was a big fat lie.

She ran away from the scene and had her heart shattered into tiny pieces. Hyeyeon ran to her, telling her to wait when Mina threw the ring in front of her face and ran off again. Hyeyeon had become indecent. She didn't bother to ran after her.

Mina was conposed despite of her torn heart. And she was albeit composed when she felt her vision getting blurry, the steady flash of city lights going disoriented and unsteady. Mina was confused of the way her vision was affected rather than her broken heart. She would've panicked but she didn't feel any worry.

Mina couldn't do anything as she collapsed in the streets of Sapporo.

+++

Mina, I got everything in the house under control. I've made meal preps so that you'd just hear them up using the microwave. I've made indications of everything in the house and fixed all the things. Bring your cellphone always because I'll be calling your frequently. Be careful okay. Sejeong-unnie loves you so much.

A clack of a stick greeted the morning. Mina was going out of her house slowly as she decided to sit down by her garden, thinking if they'd already grown to the right sizes.

Why think when you can see? Well, Mina already had a broken heart, a broken soul...and a pair of broken eyes. In other words, Mina was a weary blind Korean in Sapporo.

"Konnichiwa!"

Mina wondered as she heard a voice. It sounded cute. Mina thought it was a girl...although her Japanese and English hardcore.

"Sorry for my language. I'm not fluent."

Heol...a fellow Korean?

"Yah! Why didn't you just say anything from the beginning? You had to struggle with your words. Sheesh..." Mina mumbled.

"Omo-you're Korean?" The girl spoke excitedly. "Mind me. I didn't know you were Korean. Anyways, I'm your new neighbor. The place is nice..."

For Mina, it always was. But now she wonders if had gotten nicer. The girl kept talking but she was utterly tired of hearing stuff that Mina went inside her home slowly.

For the new girl, she was shocked that Mina wasn't around. She saw her go inside and even asked. "You want some kimchi?"

+++

The next day came and Mina was out of the house, clacking her stick around and a cup of coffee on her hand. She would've just enjoyed a normal morning feeling the cool breeze of Sapporo slap her skin when...

"Good morning~"

She tripped herself and spilled her cup of coffee. Not only that, her cup broke. Mina sighed. It was her new neighbor. 

"Omo- I'm so sorry. Here. Let me help you." She heard her say.

Mina felt a hold by her arms as she was guided back up. A thump made its way on her chest but she felt threatened. She got herself off and got back inside again. The neighbor said her apologies and waved a pack around.

"Sorry, neighbor. I got you some ramyun...for long life..." The new girl mumbled.

+++

The third day came. Mina got out in the morning again but she had gone alert just in case the said neighbor shows up out of the blue. She sat down and ranted.

"Wherever you are, don't come see me again. I get that you're my neighbor and all but don't come see me, okay?"

She heard footsteps and yelled but it wasn't the neighbor. Mina apologized and sat back down again. She was relieved. The neighbor didn't show up.

"Good morning." She heard the annoying voice, only that it was softer.

Mina was wrong. She cussed in her head.

"Yah! Why did you come here again? You're like a thief waiting to steal something." Mina spoke.

"Well I won't do that. Actually, I came by again to stand by." The neighbor got a little penguin-themed chair and sat. "I wanted to talk and all. You know, you're something. I came by to say hi and you say I'm a thief instantly? I just want to come by and talk to a fellow Korean since I don't know anyone else around these parts."

"Why don't you just call your friends? Because I for one don't need friends so please don't bother me again." Mina said as she stood up.

"Aw, come on, neighbor~" She whined and Mina thought it was too cute. "I made some bingsu. Maybe...you need some sugar..."

Mina didn't pay any heed and got in. For the neighbor she sighed. "...because you look so sour."

+++

"Neighbor~ good morning!! Ireona~~"

Mina groaned and woke up. She did the usual routine and got out slowly. And with the usual day, hee neighbor came by again.

"Yah! What is it this time?" Mina asked.

"I cooked some bulgogi. It's a specialty. And I'd like ask permission and get my containers within the last three days. I'm sure the food has spoiled." She said.

"Why are you asking permission?" Mina asked again.

"Because you'd think I'm a thief again." She answered.

"Yah! I won't eat your food! And why do you always come here? Don't you understand that I don't need friends?! I told you not to bother me again, didn't I?! Why don't you do something decent of your time rather than speaking to a blind person?!"

The neighbor was shocked as Mina got inside again. For Mina, she was utterly pissed and hoped for a day without her neighbor bothering her.

+++

The neighbor came back to Mina's place again but she didn't disturb her. She noticed Mina's plants withering that she decided to water them. Not only that, she talked to them.

"Wassup plants? How long will you stay as plants?" 

"Yah! Who's there?"

She stopped watering as Mina got out. She greeted her again and even told her of what she did.

"Did I say you could water them?" Mina asked, crossing her arms.

"No. But I did come to get the bingsu back. Besides, the container is penguin-themed. I'd like to have it back." She spoke. "Thanks by the way...for spending a bit of your time for me through those harsh talks. Although I wanted to come by here to be your friend, don't worry. I won't disturb you anymore." She got her container. "Bye~"

"Wait." Mina spoke.

The neighbor froze. She turned around slowly to meet the blind girl.

"Yes?" Her neighbor asked.

"I'm sorry for being so harsh on you on those days, especially yesterday, knowing you were just sociable and all..." Mina confessed.

"Is that it?" Her neighbor asked. "It's fine. It's nothing, neighbor...although I couldn't sleep because I've been thinking of it. Seriously, I heard my heart crack like how could the heart crack? It's not made of glass."

"I'm so sorry. Maybe it's best if you don't talk to me." Mina said.

"Heol... I'm just kidding. I'm not affected by it, really. You were just provoked. It's natural to react so it's okay." Her neighbor said back. "To be honest, I'm not a person who bares a grudge, especially hate. It's okay, really."

Her neighbor got another container and got in front of Mina, giving it to her. "I made radish soup. And to make it up to you for being albeit annoying, you can eat and I'll even join you. But if you say it's poisonous, you can scream. The road is wide anyways."

Her neighbor placed the new container on the table and Mina went there to sit. She got to her chair as her neighbor was albeit excited to dig in. "You know what they say, if it's your intestine, it's your life's intestine."

"Huh? What?" Mina didn't understand.

"Wait, haha...what I mean is that...the man can prove one's self through the intestine." Her neighbor said.

Mina laughed for the first time in a while. "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Is that what you mean?" 

"That's it, ahaha!!" Her neighbor laughed back. "Sorry. My choice of words are always bad."

Mina chuckled and decided to finally eat what her neighbor brought. She could feel a bowl or two and smell rice and radish soup. Mina felt the spoon, grabbing it and tried to get some soup. Mina indulged herself and boy, was it good?

"It's been a while since I slurped wonderful radish soup. This is delicious." Mina commented.

"Thanks, I made that," said her neighbor. "Excuse me. I need to check on you if you're poisoned."

"You'll know soon, maybe in the next few hours or tomorrow." Mina answered and resumed eating.

Her neighbor chuckled and the two of them ate together. As Mina gulped and heard a car speeding just right, she heard her neighbor speak. "I'm Sohye by the way. Kim Sohye."

Sohye. Mina thought it was such a wonderful name. But then, she just nodded. "Okay. Won't you ask my name?"

"Heol, that's right..." Sohye nodded. "What's your name?"

"Kang Mina. My name is Mina." Mina answered.

"Wow. What a wonderful name." Sohye said. "The name suits you."

As Mina ate with Sohye, she felt a thump on her chest as she heard Sohye say that. She could only smile. It was a very shameful start for her meeting Sohye. She couldn't even see her but meeting a fellow Korean who wanted to be her friend was a privilege. This time, she learned to open up and got a new friend, her neighbor.

+++

"Yoo-hoo~ Mina~ wake up~~"

Mina groaned and got up. She went outside right away and Sohye was there. For Sohye, she could almost cough of what she saw. Mina only had a shirt and on.

"Yah! Why are you so early?" Mina asked while yawning.

"Well, I made some kimchi and uhh..." Sohye stuttered as Mina raised her shirt lightly to scratch her stomach. "...bulgogi and chicken thighs..."

"Is it lean meat?" Mina asked.

"Yeah...almost as lean as your stomach and thighs." Sohye mumbled, her cheeks red as a tomato.

"What?" Mina asked.

"Well, you forgot to put some shorts or something." Sohye said honestly.

Mina went back hastily as Sohye turned around to relieve her flushed cheeks. She then yelled. "Don't worry! I didn't see anything! My eyes were closed!"

When Mina was inside, Sohye got the food ready by Mina's table and Sohye went back to her usual penguin-themed stool and got her share of breakfast. Mina came out afterwards and she had shorts this time.

"Mina, I got your food ready. It's on the table. All complete." Sohye said.

"Thanks." Mina said.

"You're welcome, Mina." Sohye smiles. "It's so nice to hear that from you."

"Thanks for the life since I wasn't poisoned by your soup."

Sohye was whipped but she continued to eat. Mina got to her spot and said. "Join me, Sohye."

"I'm fine here by my stool. Don't worry." Sohye assures her.

"But it's not nice that I eat within a chair and a table and you eat close to the street." Mina said as she munched some kimchi.

"I'm not close to the street, Mina. It's fine." Sohye said.

"Don't you want to sit with me?" Mina asked.

"Uhh...it's not that. But if you want to, okay." Sohye said as she got her container and stool. "My back's hurting for sitting here anyways."

Sohye got to join Mina by the table and they ate silently once more. Sohye decided to initiate conversation. "I'm new here and all and I wonder where to stroll around. Hey, Mina...do you know some spots?" Sohye scratches her head as she got some chicken thighs. "I got it...is that Root Canal or Bobaru Canal?"

Mina almost spits her rice as she laughed. Sohye chuckled and was happy to see Mina smile. "Silly. It's Otaru Canal."

"I see. Is it a nice place? Is it clean? How far is it from here?" Sohye asked.

"It's far from here. You can get there by a trip via train which lasts for an hour or less. There's also an express which last half an hour but it's expensive. If you don't get seasick, you can go via ferry which last for eighteen to twenty hours. No matter the ways, you can still get there." Mina answered.

"Woah. You sure know a lot. You'd be an excellent tourist guide." Sohye said.

"As a matter of fact, I am." Mina smiled as she answered.

"Daebak..." Sohye mumbled. "What a coincidence. In fact, why don't you come with me?"

Mina chuckled almost bitterly as she shook her head. However, Sohye insisted. "Don't worry. I'll take care of everything. Food, expenses, even transportation."

"Are you blind? Don't you see that I'm a blind Korean woman?" Mina batted.

Mina hated the fact that she lost her sight. And with Sohye engaging on a vacation, she thought it was preposterous. 

"So what if you're blind?" Sohye asked. "I'll serve as your eyes, your vision..." Sohye smiles. "You'll be my guide but I'll be your sight."

Such words lifted her spirit up. It had been a while since someone said that to her. She never thought her neighbor could say that to her.

It wouldn't make sense to fall for it in a first impression but she wanted to give it a shot.

+++

Mina got herself ready. She didn't know if she faced the mirror properly or not but she wanted to try some lipstick on. It had been a while since she did that. How can she when she couldn't see? But then, something in her wanted to look good for Sohye so she went for it. A call from Sohye startled her and she felt the lipstick smudge by her cheek. Mina sighed and didn't put some on. Maybe next time.

Outside, Sohye was pacing and waiting. She ate a breath strip and sprayed perfume on herself. She fixed the creases of her collar shirt and sweater as she heard the door open.

Sohye saw Mina as she wore her jumpers outside a blue shirt. She was also wearing unmatched shoes but what would it matter to Sohye? For her, looking at Mina made her say that Mina was really pretty that it almost made her heart grow bigger wings.

Sohye went back to reality as she guided Mina. "Shall we go?"

"Ne." Mina nodded.

+++

The trip lasted for an hour since they went to Hokkaido by train. Nonetheless, with Mina as a guide and Sohye as her vision, they got to the Otaru Canal. Sohye handled everything as promised and the two shared a boat ride by the canal.

"Konnichiwa, Otaru~~" Sohye cheered.

"Shh...watch the scream. It's not part of Japanese culture to do that." Mina said.

Sohye apologized and realized that it was starting to dim and rain. She got her umbrella and shielded Mina, wrapping an arm by her neck.

"Sohye...what is this?" Mina wondered as she felt Sohye's arm.

Mina shoved it off and Sohye's umbrella deformed with the wind, causing her to laugh again. Mina asked about it but Sohye didn't say anything and closed the umbrella.

The sun shone again. Mina and Sohye were still on the boat ride, maintaining a gap. Sohye looked by the waters and pointed it, adding a noise Mina wondered again.

"A shark~ I love sharks~" Sohye cheered.

Mina tried her hardest to resist laughing as Sohye scooted closer. Mina noticed it again and wondered. "Yah, Sohye...you seem closer than usual."

"What? I'm not." Sohye reasoned.

"You are. I can't see but I can feel." Mina added.

"Haha, now why would I do that?" Sohye grinned cheekily.

Mina was still waving at her to scoot off. Sohye sighed and did just that. "Meanie."

"It's abour respecting space, Sohye. How can we grow close when you act like that?" Mina batted.

Sohye moved her body farther yet her face was still close. Mina felt the gap and she sighed. "Thanks Sohye."

"Thank you too." Sohye grinned.

Mina pushed Sohye off and Sohye almost fell off the boat. The two shared their laughters and Sohye got closer again. "Hey, Mina!"

"Sohye~!!" Mina slaps her face and Sohye reacted wih a laugh.

"Wear this lifesaver then!" Sohye added and the two erupted on laughter.

Sohye sat down again and the two had eases themselves from all the laughter. Sohye scooted closer and sighed.

"You know, it reminds me of the Han River." Sohye said. "It's a thing that I miss."

"I miss Korea. I even miss Jeju and Seoul, and a moment wherein I can speak Korean." Mina said.

With that, Sohye and Mina shared their talks of life. And believe me, Mina felt happy.

+++

A lullaby was heard and Mina loved hearing it. Despite of being blind, her other senses are enhanced, especially her hearing. And with soft music from a music box, she somehow felt heavenly.

"You love music boxes?" She heard Sohye ask.

"Yes. I listen to those in iTunes." Mina answered.

"But traditional music boxes sound better. Listen..."

Mina gulped, feeling the tension as she felt Sohye close to her. But then, she hears another tune from another music box and she loved it. Once it was over, Sohye smiled and placed it back.

"You spin them to play wouderful tunes like working hard in life to get wonderful results."

Mina's heart pounded. She might never see Sohye's looks but she felt happy to have her around.

+++

The two boarded a train back to Sapporo. Sohye was face to face with Mina and she couldn't help but look at her so lovingly.

"Why are you gazing at me?" Mina asked.

"Heol...uh, nothing much." Sohye said as she sat back. "Wait a minute, you can see me?"

"No. It's just a guess." Mina said. "Well, I could hear your voice and feel your fresh breath. Did you take a lot of breath strips for that?"

Sohye wowed then kept on gazing and tried something out. Despite of her beating heart, she puckered her lips and inched closer to Mina's face. She then backed away. "Did you see what I did?"

"What?" Mina asked.

"Nothing." Sohye grinned.

The trip went on until it was time to go home. It was a nice evening and Sohye got Mina back to her home.

"Touchdown." Sohye cheered.

"Thanks, Sohye. Thank you also for the music box." Mina said.

"Hold this." Sohye said and got something for Mina. "Thank you also for coming with me. You know what..." Sohye lowered her head as she smiled. "... I think we click."

Mina wondered of Sohye's words. Sohye did her all to resist a blush as she spoke again. "We have similarities. I even make you laugh, like right now." Sohye pointed at a cute laughing Mina. "I like the way that I make you happy even if I joke around sometimes." They both chuckled. "Maybe tomorrow we can go-"

"Good night." Mina said. "Good night, Sohye."

Mina went towards the door slowly. Sohye watches her go as she said. "Hey, maybe you can invite me to your part here. We can drink coffee, tell stories, and listen to music boxes."

"Good night." Mina said one more time before she got in.

"Good night, Mina."

Sohye grinned and skipped happily back to her own home.

+++

It was another day and Mina was awake earlier than usual. It was almost inevitable of her reason to why she woke up so early. And maybe it had to do with her expectation to meet Sohye again.

"Mina? Are you awake? Good morning~"

Mina grinned and got herself ready. She got out and even though she can't see, she felt a loving hold on her hand, a hold from Sohye's hand. 

The two decided to go to a field with beautiful flowers. Mina and Sohye stopped by and had their distance, all while having their talks.

"Have you experienced winter here before?" Mina asked.

"In Korea, yes. But in here...no." Sohye answered.

"Your answer?" Mina asked.

"Yes. Because I felt it in your heart. And we're here in Japan so...yes." Sohye chuckled.

"What a lame joke." Mina chuckled back.

"Maybe you should warm it up a bit." Sohye said as she scooted closer. "You know, this place is wonderful. It's a great place for lovers to hold hands and share warm hugs."

Sohye made her move and slowly wrapped her arms around Mina. Mina felt Sohye's hug warm her heart in a way she can never explain but she slaps it off and Sohye scooted away again.

"Yah, Kim Sohye. What was that?"

"Whoops." Sohye raised her arms and chuckled. "Anyways, let's go to the fish spa."

Sohye got a motorcar and she and Mina drove to the said spa. Sohye drove slowly, not wanting to scare Mina. Mina felt her cheeks flush of the proximity. And when her arms wrapped around Sohye's waist, there was that thump in her chest.

Sohye felt it on her own heart too and she could only plaster a smile.

+++

Mina, where are you?

"I'm outside, like literally outside far from the house. I'm with someone." Mina spoke through a call.

Heol...who are you with?

"A fellow Korean. Female." Mina answered. "She's my neighbor. Hold on." Mina hands her phone to Sohye. "Here. Answer this."

"What? I'm shy-"

"Just answer it." Mina said.

"Okay." Sohye nodded and answered. "Hello?"

Is this Sohye? This is Sejeong, her sister.

"Hello, unnie. Nice to meet you." Sohye answered.

With the passing time, Sejeong and Sohye had a talk. Sejeong also made notion to Sohye to be responsible for Mina. Sohye agreed and the conversation ended smoothly, although Sohye was nervous.

"What did my unnie say?" Mina asked.

"If I don't marry you, she'll put me to jail." Sohye said.

"Seriously?!" Mina reacted.

"Just kidding. She said to take care of you and we'll just talk later because she said that we should have fun on the tour." Sohye said. "What do you call this?"

"It's Ashiyu. "Ashi" meaning foot, and "yu" meaning hot water." Mina said. "It's good for the body and it'll suffice without the onsen, a full body bath in a hot spring."

"I see. Do you know what "ashiyu" means?" Sohye asked.

"What?" Mina asked.

"I see you." 

Mina grinned cheekily as she and Sohye had a wonderful time.

"Haha...Ashiyu...I really do see you, haha..." Mina chuckled.

+++

The two had their next stop at the fountain and drank such wonderful and fresh Japanese water. While drinking and strolling around, Mina asked. "Don't you want to ask me why I'm blind?"

"I haven't thought of it. Why, though?" Sohye asked.

"The doctor says it's temporary blindness, all because of stress. Well, I never thought stress could destroy a pair of eyes." Mina answered as they got to a temple and rang the bells.

Sohye and Mina bowed and did their prayers. "I've been like this for a month. If it'll last long, it's critical, maybe I'll go blind forever."

"Well, why don't we pray that to the Sashimi Shrine?" Sohye said.

"It's Fushimi Shrine." Mina corrected. "And I fear that it won't be granted so nevermind."

"How can it not be granted when you won't ask for it?" Sohye asked back.

"You know, Sohye..." The two decided to walk around this time. "...you're something. You're a funny cocky woman sometimes."

"Of course. I'm funny because I'm a nice person to be with. It also has to do with my healthy lifestyle." Sohye said. "Which reminds me, you need to eat more carrots to keep your eyes healthy."

"I remember one making unnie some honey-glazed carrots and her stomach didn't feel so good." Mina shared.

Sohye laughed but Mina heard her stop. For Sohye, her face scrunched while she was holding her stomach.

"Sohye, you okay?" Mina asked.

Sohye chuckled. "It's nothing."

+++

Mina and Sohye had their times together. It came to a point when Mina invited Sohye inside her home and they were having a great time making fun of each other. But at the time, they were drinking and they were drunk as .

They also had their time poking each other like cute kids. Mina had a wonderful time but she noticed Sohye stop again. A part of her worried lightly. "Sohye-ya?"

"This is nothing, Mina. It's just a little heartburp." Sohye answered.

A burp was heard and Mina wondered again. "Was that a heartburn?"

"No...it's different from a burp. When you fell bloated and your chest is on fire, that's a heartburp." Sohye mumbled.

Mina was sitted on the bottom of the couch and Sohye was just behind her sitting on the couch. Mina held Sohye's hand and lets it touch her own. Mina even leaned her head by Sohye's thigh as she loved the feeling of Sohye's touch warm her heart.

"Tell me, Mina..." Sohye began. "...what do you miss?"

"Well..." Mina began. "...I miss biking."

"Well, do just that." Sohye said.

"The beer has taken effect on you like hello? How could I do that? I'm blind, remember?" Mina mumbled.

"How? What a stupid question. You're not even disabled." Sohye chuckled. "Don't worry. I'll be there for you. Just trust me."

Mina smiled again. Sohye shared too. "If there's one thing I miss, it's dancing."

Mina felt Sohye drift away that she held her leg. Sohye smiled of the gesture and went to turn on her radio. 

"Why did you stop? Have you danced here before?" Mina asked.

"Nope. This will be my first here." Sohye said.

She went back to help Mina get up. Mina wondered and she felt a handkerchief by her hand. 

"It would be unfair for me if we dance together and you can't see. So...blindfold me, Mina." Sohye said.

Mina nodded and did just that. Sohye turned around as she and Mina walked forward when Sohye tripped. Mina heard it and asked. "You okay?"

"Yep." Sohye got up." I felt a roach by my foot and I just had to kill it."

Sohye and Mina faced each other and danced like party goers. Sohye even talked about herself being a good dancer and Mina asked if she was taller than her.

"Hmm..." Mina felt Sohye's cheek. "...you really are taller than me."

"I am...also..." Sohye inched closer and whispered on Mina's ear. "... I'm still a ."

Mina slaps Sohye's cheek playfully and they shared laughter again. Sohye had her arms around Mina's waist as Mina wrapped hers around Sohye's neck. A slow music was played and the two swayed with the beat.

The proximity was too close to call. It would've been the alcohol. But feeling Sohye close to her made Mina's heart pound quickly. Sohye felt the same and it still stayed ever since she met the girl. Mina felt Sohye wrap around her tighter as Mina hugged her back, their faces close to each other. Sohye gulped and planted a kiss by Mina's head.

"What was that?" Mina asked.

"A kiss." Sohye said.

"Are you planning something fishy? You know what they say...when there's alcohol, it's close to call." Mina mumbled.

"Heol...can it be just a gesture of love?"

Mina didn't think of it that way. She exhaled and cupped Sohye's cheek, planting soft kisses by her cheek then a chaste one on Sohye's lips, making Sohye back away and take off her blindfold.

"And you had to blame me for planning something fishy, huh?" Sohye said playfully.

"What? I'm drunk!" Mina cackled and they laughed hard again.

Sohye and Mina shared their hugs again. Mina still can't see the fact of why she was hanging out with her neighbor all this time, even to the point that a blind woman like her got her kiss from her.

But maybe it's what fate wrote for her this time. 

+++

Just as promised, Sohye took Mina out and they rode bikes. Being blind, Mina was still unsure as she rode but Sohye was there for her. The ride was risky yet fun for Mina until they got to the starting point again. Sohye guided Mina and they had their bikes placed by their respective spots.

Next, they decided to ear lunch by the fields. Sohye and Mina got themselves to dig in as Sohye asked. "How will you know when you love someone?"

"Well...when your world changes wonderfully, when you think of the person always...when you have priorities yet you prioritize the person first, even your face goes vibrant when you look at the person..."

"So...how can you if you're blind?" Sohye asked.

Mina slaps her head and Sohye apologized. "Mind me. Have I offended you? Well, in my case..." Sohye sighed. "... I've gone blindly in love."

Sohye saw Mina blushing and she . Mina would give playful slaps and Sohye only replaced them with laughs.

"But you know, Mina...you don't need to see in love...you just have to feel." Sohye said. "Like the way you're blushing. It's all about the feeling."

"Aigoo...Kim Sohye..." Mina sighed. "I hope I can see you...if only I can see you."

"You don't have to see me. Believe me, my face isn't helpful to the society." Sohye said.

"But come to think of it, it's better if I get to feel or see your face. To the least I know you more." Mina said.

"Do you really want to know of what I look like?" Sohye asked and Mina nodded.

Sohye didn't have a choice as she scooted closer. Sohye held Mina's hands and slowly guided them towards her face. Mina would've had gists during the time when they got drunk to how Sohye looked like but she was still curious. For Sohye, feeling Mina's hands hold her face and kneading her cheeks like dough made her heart pound once more.

"Heol...you have a wide face...and..." Mina touched her eyes. "...your lashes are quite long." Mina got to her cheeks. "Your cheeks are so squishy. And you have a fine chin. And your nose..." Mina pinches her nose that made Sohye's eyes dilate. "...you have a sharp nose."

Sohye chuckled and smiled as Mina's hands were on her cheek. "You must be really pretty. If I see you, you'll look like a leading woman in a series."

"Yep. You're blind." Sohye sighed and Mina chuckled and slapped her playfully again.

+++

The two got to Tokyo Tower and got their locks locked with the others. Sohye guided Mina's hands towards their friendship lock and Mina wondered where the key was. Sohye hands her one.

"Heol...it's more of a key to the house." Mina commented.

"It's a spare key, Mina. Besides, you'll throw it-"

"No, no! I'll keep it." Mina said as she puts her key in her pocket.

The two shared the night once more and got to the bell and rang it together. Then, they got to a restaurant and ordered ramen.

"You know, hearing the bell ring made me hungry. It reminded me of snack time." Sohye shared and they laughed. "Well, if Eomma found about me eating this, she'd slap me with a slipper for not eating well."

"Heol...just like my Eomma. She even shoved a riceball on my mouth so that I eat healthily." Mina shared too. "Do you have admirers? I had mine, in Jeju. They always ogle when I eat. But I bet you have more admirers than I do."

"Nope." Sohye answered.

"Liar." Mina teased.

"I'm humble but let me share this. I do have a lot of admirers. I have some waiting at the gate of my house and I make a run for it. But then I face them and say, "Whoops. Sorry ladies. I'm taken.". Actually I didn't have a reason back then...but I do now."

"Really? Who's the lucky girl?" Mina asked, almost hurt.

"You." Sohye spoke, tapping her palm lightly.

Mina froze, all while she slurped noodles. Sohye looked onto Mina's eyes, all while she slurped noodles too. 

It was unexpected but the two never thought that they did have mutual feelings. For them, it would be a start of something more wonderful.

+++

The two were at Mina's place after their little 'wedding'. They played tag, shared cute kisses, and made fun of each other like in those times they went out to travel Japan together.

Sohye got something for Mina as her wedding gift. Mina opened and Sohye had to be cheeky as she lets her guess.

"It's round." Mina said.

"It's a love potion in a ball." Sohye cackled and Mina slaps her playfully again. "It's a cute doll. Here." Sohye got a marker and lets Mina draw her eyes. "You can draw its eyes and maybe, your wish will finally come true."

As Mina drew, she teared up. Sohye knew it was out of timing for her to say that but she got closer and hugged Mina tight. "Don't cry, Mina. Who knows maybe tomorrow, your wish will come true. And if you can now see the world..." Sohye pats her back. "...you can see me and we'll color the other eye together."

It had almost been two months and Mina was still blind. Her silver lining had depleted as if there were less chances that she'll see again. But with Sohye's voice and her presence, she was eased and she hoped again.

+++

The two went to travel again, riding on a cable cart and enjoying the view of Mt. Fuji ona rainy day. As they had their moments, Mina asked. "What if there's less chances that I'll see again?"

"We'll stil travel together, Mina. It won't change." Sohye said. "If you can see again, we'll visit those places all over again. We'll drink a lot and dance a lot." Sohye whispered. "And maybe go to tier 15."

Mina felt a peck on her nose and she whined. "Yah, what did you just say?"

"Hehe...nothing." Sohye cackled.

"Sohye-ya." Mina pouted.

"Mina-ya." Sohye did a cute voice.

Mina and Sohye shared their hugs. Mina didn't think of the inevitability of her sight. For now, her time with Sohye mattered.

+++

Mina and Sohye walked around town. They stopped be a crossing as Sohye held her hand tight. "Mina, don't go anywhere and stay put. I'll be right back. It won't take long."

"Okay." Mina nodded.

"Promise?" Sohye asked, pinching Mina's cute cheek.

"Promise." Mina nodded.

Sohye lets go and went to cross the street, going somewhere to only she knew. Mina was like an innocent lost girl as she stayed put and waited for Sohye. Mina flickered her eyes and looked around and gasped as she saw the city lights then darkness again. Mina tried again and she was beginning to see more of those lights. She flickered her eyes again and she was seeing people, walking around, riding bikes, and even running while holding hands.

Mina shook her head once, twice, thrice...and she finally saw the streets of Sapporo looking vibrant with the city lights, the places, even the people.

It felt like a wave of sudden hope and Mina could scream and cuss of pure joy.

Mina wasn't blind anymore. She can now see.

"Mina-ya!"

Mina turned around and there was a really beautiful girl with a warm smile, holding a little bag. Mina thought that Sohye wasn't pretty. She was gorgeous. Mina waved at her. Sohye gasped but she was happy and waved the stuffed penguin that was on her hand. "Mina-ya~"

"Sohye-ya..." Mina was so happy to finally see her. 

Sohye went closer. A car passed as it filled Mina's vision and she was shocked that Sohye was gone after that. But then, hearing an impact and the people worrying around made Mina's conscience quite clear.

It was all too sudden. Ringing sirens, mumbles of people, a beep of the monitor, and all those flashbacks Mina had with Sohye in the midst of blindness.

In reality, it was fate's twisted ending for her. Who knew Sohye was meant to be with her in darkness and was meant to lose her in the light?

+++

Mina... I'm sorry. I didn't get to see Sohye and I was really hoping to meet her personally. You of all people never thought her life had to be taken so soon. But please, know that she has been there for you and will always be there for you. Take care, Mina.

The call ended again and Mina just sat by her garden. The flowers had bloomed, even the bushes had grown bigger. But her heart didn't. In fact, it had gone colder and smaller.

The stuffed penguin was on her arms as she hugged it close to her heart. She couldn't bear to hug it longer as it reminded her of Sohye. She was torn, her heart broken twice. Her tears dropped as she clutched onto her skirt.

She felt something inside and looked to see the key Sohye gave her. Seeing the size and the weary curtain of Sohye's home dancing with the wind, it hit her. She crossed the street and tried to unlock Sohye's home. It worked.

Mina had gotten inside the dark home, the things already covered in white cloth. There were little paper cranes hanging with little penguins yet Mina was still inside. Nonetheless, she checked Sohye's things.

She saw her Korean cookbooks, her ID, the doll with the unpainted right eye, and the white dress Mina could've sworn Sohye had worn on their 'wedding'. Mina clutched onto as she cried. It had been weeks since Sohye died and she missed her so much. She wiped her tears away and went search inside her home. She saw more paper cranes and was shocked to see a shark costume. She even saw pictures of Sohye and she was there too, just before she knew Sohye.

A piece of paper was attached by the mirror and Mina got it. Inside was something she didn't expected to read but it was fate's way to lead her to read it for the said paper was a letter for her.

Hey Mina,

During this day, I finished creating my 1000th paper crane and my 1000th paper penguin, with hopes that you can see on the day of our stroll around Sapporo, as soon as possible.

See the thing is, I was a weary woman working at Tokyo but got my heart broken because my Korean ex replaced me with another Korean. I resigned and got drunk as I decided to start anew.

One. I only thought once of where I need to go and start over. And in fact, a can of Sapporo beer was my sign that I should go to Sapporo, far from and far from memories. I also loved once like is it a sin to love? And I fell onto my feet once...all because of that one love.

Two. There were only two of us. Me and good old Sapporo. I was moving on, tearing my ex's picture apart and taking a selfie with that good old can of beer. As I did, I thought I looked hella cute. But then there was a photo bomber. That was you, a cute woman wearing cute jumpers. And I decided to go and follow you together with Sapporo.

Three. Three times I puked and fainted in the streets of Sapporo. My third attempt was by your house and I woke up seeing your face. You said good morning and I blinked three times as three rays of the sun struck on my eyes.Three days also passed after I called the owner about the other house since it was sold and three times you came by to give me food and place a blanket by my body. I kept three cans of Sapporo beer in which you tried to dispose and three night I saw you with someone, also a female Korean.

Four. Four times I was woken up by you and I got to my senses on the fourth wake and boy, did I smell like ? Four times I got a call from the owner and four times I cheered since the house was finally mine for free.

Five. Five times I paced around, telling myself not to follow you, the penguin mascot, around. I couldn't resist and I did, dressed up as a shark. I watched you and you were drunk as . And then, you hitched me for drinks and I accepted. You even told me that I was smart, funny, and pretty. Heol...I was struck...

Six. Six drops of piss smudged my good old pants as I walked with the penguin. I was stupid. How could I my own pants as I got lost on the look of you? It also took me six seconds to get your advice of counting 1 to 10.

Seven. Seven times you rang the bell in pure happiness. You didn't know at that time you cried seven times and laughed for seven times. We even danced back to your house and you laughed for seven times again.

Eight. I followed you around within your walk of life after eight attempts of deciding. I gave you those eight flowers, got your eight pictures from the booth, and was even late for work every eight minutes. But what does it matter? I realize that those eight minutes were all for you.

Nine. Nine years was a period wherein I lived to realize that I have heart failure, that my heart was nine times painful than it is now. And at one point in time, it'll blow. I was hoping that before it explodes, I'll get to know you. Life is short. When it's your time, it's your time. That's why, I thought for nine seconds before deciding to finally do it. 

Ten. It took ten steps from where I stood and you fainted. It took me ten charges to carry you back to your home and ten seconds to make me realize that I was truly in love with you and that I need to be there for you.

Mina, I decided to write this because who knows, when you finally see, I won't be there to greet you a good morning. I would've said that I'm Kim Sohye, the weary girl who fainted and whom you helped, the girl who ate your carrots, and whom you ranted to because I smelled bad. I was also that shark whom you've shared your misery with, and the one who saw your fiance with another woman. I didn't know if all that I did was right of wrong but I was thankful to meet someone like you.

You changed me wonderfully and made me live happily. You know, you really are blind. When you still had your vision, you didn't see me. When you lost it, you saw me. Thank you, neighbor. Thank you, my cute tangerine and cute cinnamon roll. Thank you, Penguin mascot.

Always loving you,

Shark mascot

Mina sniffled hard and hugged the letter close to her chest. She felt regretful at this point but somehow, she knew Sohye will always see her in mind and in by heart.

But man...if she got her eyesight the moment she saw Sohye, what would've happened?

+++

Times passed and Mina came back to all the spots she and Sohye visited. While she stood, she looked and got a hold of Sohye's blindfold. Mina smiled, tearing up as she put it on.

As she did, she thought and visualized of her and Sohye in the different places they visited and thought what if. What if she didn't lose her vision and knew Sohye and fell for her like the typical person. They would've did everything together. They would've danced too.

Mina's tears dropped harder as she remembered that time in her home when they drunk, danced, and shared cute kisses. She even thought of that by the tower and it would've been nice if they shared a more wonderful kiss. 

But one thing she can never forget was the time by the bell and the two of them wore costumes and they would dance to their hearts content. Oh, how wonderful it would've been. A thought of it hurt Mina even more.

"A...shi...yu..." Mina mumbled through her tears.

I see you... 

She would visualize Sohye again, saying those words with the cheeky grin she had. She would've remorsed. Instead, she smiled.

"Sohye-ya...Aishteru...Ashiyu..." Mina spoke.

I see you, Sohye-ya... I'll always will...

===

This is the twentieth.

@Agyusshi: Thanks for the idea. Heto na bes. Huwag mog sayangin yung tissues.

If you have requests, don't forget to comment.