Coniuctio

IOI Shikshins One-Shot Collection

DISCLAIMER: Some of the information here are based on facts yet there's no real interconnection in this story. 

***

“Kang Mina for two!”

Kang Mina, age 16, was doing her victory dance after a successful shot. Her fellow players were exhausted and their faces scrunched as they wonder of Mina’s stamina.

“How do you…do that…?” Yoojung panted.

“I just play…” Mina shrugged, checking the time. “We should stop here. Last one on the showers is a rotten egg~!!”

+++

The school bell was of great timing as the basketball players rushed towards the shower. Then again, they waited in line, with Eunwoo going first. Mina was falling in line with a bar of soap and a bottle filled with shampoo on her hand when she saw someone pass by the corridors.

Mina couldn’t help but admire the person and in return, she got a snort from Yoojung.

“Ohohoho~ looks like our MVP admires one of the students in the Star Section~~” Yoojung cooed at Mina.

“Save your little admiration, Mina. Students of the Star Section are waaay overrated and are out of our league. They’re like minions of Stephen Hawking, models of leadership and academics and are more popular compared to us.” Somi jumped into the conversation and she got inside one of the shower rooms.

Mina pouted. She got her turn to shower and despite of what Somi said, she couldn’t get that girl out of her head.


Mina got a call from Sejeong, saying she wanted some pictures of Kim Doyeon, one of the campus crushes and a student of the Star Section.

Aish! That ahjusshi!!

She went to the Glee Club building as she searched for someone. Hearing the nightingale’s voice, she knew her singer friend was there.

Yoo Yeonjung was one of Mina’s friends and who’s one of the people close to Doyeon.

“Yeonjung-ah!” Mina called and the singer waved at her.

“Mina~! What brings you here?” Yeonjung went close to her and gave her a petty headlock. “Let me guess…Kim Sejeong requested you for a picture of Kim Doyeon.”

“You read my mind like a goddamn book.” Mina mumbled. “Pictures rather…”

“Your friend is a bit weird. We’re in the same club yet she asks you instead of asking me directly.”

“But can I still get them?” Mina asked.

“Yeah. You’ll get them tomorrow. I still need to talk to Yoojung about it again.”

Mina nodded and thanked her. Mina asked of her practices and Yeonjung said she was finished. The both of them went together and were also going home together. They passed by the corridors and Yeonjung gulped and hid on Mina’s back.

“What?” Mina turned around yet Yeonjung continued to hide.

“It’s Kim Chungha…” Yeonjung mumbled. “She’s by the field with the other members of the Dancing Club.”

Mina laughed as she remembered something: her singer friend liked the dancer…

“Hey! I know Chungha personally. How about I let you say hi to her?”

“What?! No way!” She exclaimed.

Mina cooed and pulled Yeonjung as they went closer to the Dance Club members. Chungha was teaching her members and even met Yoojung there as she took pictures. Chungha gave them their break a few minutes later and I greeted her.

“The cutie Mina~~” She said as she went to give me a hug.

“Annyeonhaseyo~” Mina chanted. “Unnie, one my friends wanted to meet you.” Mina pulled Yeonjung close.

“Woah! You’re friends with a Glee Club member?! OMO-it’s Yoo Yeonjung, my favourite singer~” Chungha cheered lightly.

Yeonjung blushed lightly and she and Chungha introduced each other and got the chance to talk. Mina was watching them from a distance and she smiled…then her gaze averted to something she was dying to see.

Kim Sohye was there and she was writing something as she examined Somi as she delivered her kick. Mina gulped and felt her heart beat again. She felt hands on her shoulders and her cooing.

“Mina’s gone gaga over Kim Sohye again~” Chungha cooed.

“Who’s got a crush on Sohye? Mina’s got a crush on Sohye~ Yeonjung sang and Chungha joined her.

Mina snapped the off of their little mocking. She gulped and coughed a bit, trying to hide the blush covering her cute face.

“Chungha~” Someone cooed.

Mina turned around and there was Sohye. Now it was her turn to hide on Yeonjung’s back. Chungha and Yeonjung laughed as Chungha went to talk with the top notcher.

“What gives you here, Penguin?” Chungha asked.

“Uh, I’m here to study the motion of your dance members for my formulation for my capstone in Physics. I was finished with Somi and her kicks. Now, can I examine your team?”

“Sure, Penguin...” Chungha nodded, pointing at a member. “Im Nayoung could be a good basis. How about you study her first?”

Sohye nodded, thanked them, and left. But before she could, she saw Mina hiding behind Yeonjung and waved at her. Mina froze, watching Sohye leave to examine Nayoung. Yeonjung and Chungha witnessed it and cooed.

“Caught on act...” Yeonjung mumbled and Mina shoved her lightly.

Chungha joined her, pinching Mina’s cheeks and cooing at her. Mina was annoyed of the mocking but then, deep inside, she was celebrating.

Finally, Sohye noticed her.


Yoojung and Somi were pouting in front of a wondering Mina. The two vitamins, known to be the happiest of them all, were sulking like weary little kids looking for candy.

“Look at this. I got a D in Math.” Yoojung flipped out.

“I got a B. Daddy’s going to kill me.” Somi mumbled.

“Lucky for Mina here she got an A-.” Yoojung grabbed her paper and she and Somi looked at her paper.

Mina shrugged them off and decided to slump on her desk. She was too sleepy because she stayed up all night, studying and doing shoots on the basketball court by her house. She was in the brink of going to dreamland when someone called her.

“KANG MINA!!”

“Wh-What??” Mina jolted up, her eyes twitching.

“Yeonjung and Chungha are here!!” It was Yoojung, yelling.

Mina got out sloppily, only to be greeted by the two nudging her…and another pair of unexpected visitors.

“Who are…” Mina stuttered.

“Ah, they’re from the Star Section. Mina, this is Kim Doyeon and Kim Sohye.” Yeonjung introduced.

Mina was obliged, shaking hands with Doyeon first. But as she shook hands with Sohye, she felt a little spark. She felt her heart beating fast and she heard coos from Yeonjung and Chungha.

Aish! Those dweebs!!

“So…what brings you two here today?”

“Ah…this might be a little embarrassing but…even though we’re academic aspirants, we, the Star Section, kind of at the extra-curricular regime in the field of arts,” said Doyeon.

“I can’t help it but it’s true,” said Chungha.

“So…what’s the gist here?” Mina asked again.

“We need your help.” Sohye answered, taking Mina aback. “We need your help for our multi-intelligence event next month.”

Mina became eager to listen. She nodded and lets them gather in a nearby table. Yeonjung and Chungha were coming with her, even Mina had to drag Yoojung along.

“Now let me ask you something. Why ask us?” Mina started.

“Well, in our case, we need to gather the best people in many fields. We asked Chungha and Yeonjung because both of them are the best at a certain aspect, mainly singing and dancing. We called you, Kang Mina, because you’re the MVP.” Sohye spoke.

Mina chuckled, scratching her head, and Yoojung nodded while talking about it to everyone. They all wowed and laughed as Yoojung spoke of them embarrassing moments, getting headlocks from Mina.

“And for Yoojung, she’s the best photographer and impersonator in the whole campus.” Doyeon said, making Yoojung chuckle.

“Also, she’s a basketball player like Mina,” said Sohye.

“So…will you help us?” The two top-notchers pouted.

Chungha and Yeonjung agreed. Yoojung thought about it for a minute and agreed in the end. For Mina, she loved to but then she has a busy life. She doesn’t help people much, much less a person from the Star Section. She found it a bit eerie because come on! Why would someone so low help someone so high?

But as she gazed at Sohye, she went soft. She was almost coming to her oblivion in admiration. She felt like she was in a dream, getting an opportunity to talk to her crush. And with her crush asking something, how could she say no?

“Yah…Mina…” Yoojung called.

“Alright…we’ll help you.” Mina finally agreed and they all cheered.


Mina, Yoojung, Chungha, and Yeonjung gathered by the court. The four gulped as the Star Section gathered themselves in two straight lines. Them, teaching students higher in rank than them, was a big responsibility and a heavy one to bear.

“So…hello, Star Section.” Chungha began and they responded right away. “We heard from your class representatives, Kim Doyeon and Kim Sohye, that you will be having a multi-intelligence event. And being aspirants of both the academe and the extras, you asked help from the best of the best.”

They all nodded. The four saw the determination in their eyes. As the mentors, they had to teach them properly.

“Alright, divide yourselves into the corresponding fields: fine arts and sports. You will be grouped into these groups. Chungha and Yeonjung will be in the fine arts group while Mina and I will be in the sports group.”

They all divided themselves and the four were impressed of their discipline. Mina checked everyone, seeing some determined faces and one she didn’t expect.

She gulped. Kim Sohye was one of those students…

“Mina?” She heard Yoojung.

“S-Sorry…alright, let’s do this.”

Mina and Yoojung also divided themselves and taught four sports common to everyone: basketball, volleyball, archery, and lawn tennis. Yoojung taught archery and lawn tennis as Mina taught the two remaining sports. Mina was getting along with the students as they were always alert and disciplined. Mina assigned two from each team to guide them in their training: Sohye and Hyeri.

“Okay…now you know the basics and rules, how about we put those teachings to the test?” Mina got the balls ready. “Sohye, you guys practice at the left side of the gym. Dani, you guys will be on this side.”

Sohye and Dani led their teams and did their tasks diligently. Mina watched from afar and was impressed. There were times that both groups were having a hard time and she came to help them. She watched from her post and thought of the Star Section.

She despised them in the first place. They were smart, they were popular, and they were admired by the administration. Mina felt envious of that. Being the MVP, she was below the social rank if compared to a student of the Star Section. She was only good at sports and wasn’t as smart and popular as one of them.

But seeing the determination in excelling through all means, how can she not help? And with Sohye in her team and asking them, how can she make contradictions?

She watched Sohye lead her team well…until one of them snickered. Sohye scolded them to participate but they shrugged it off. Mina’s senses were tingling as she went closer to the group and said:

“What’s going on here? Shouldn’t you listen to your leader?”

“Look who’s talking. You may be mentors for this event but not to our whole population. Remember your place, MVP.”

“What did you say?!” Mina said, pissed.

“Stop it, Haein! Mina, I’m so sorry.” Sohye apologized and bowed.

“Where’s your place, Kim Sohye? You shouldn’t be sorry. You’re more powerful than her. Remember that.” Haein snickered and went to obey.

“Mina…I’m so sorry.” Sohye apologized again.

“No…you shouldn’t be. You’re powerful than me and besides, it’s not your fault. But please…do manage your team next time.” Mina said and Sohye nodded hastily.

++

“Mina…may we not practice today? We still have a capstone to finish.” Chaeyeon asked permission.

“Alright. But you will double-time tomorrow, you understand?” Mina spoke and they nodded.

The students of the Star Section left one by one. Mina sighed, a hand on her forehead. She was a bit tired. With Chungha and Yeonjung’s respective contests, they wouldn’t be able to manage their part of the team. Yoojung was also like that, attending her press conference as the photojournalist of their school. She would’ve been training the students alone but luckily, they were busy.

But on this day, one of them stayed to practice…

“Huh? Sohye?”

“Ah, Mina…can I stay here and practice?” Sohye asked. “Don’t worry about the capstone. I’m already done. I want to practice and do my best.”

Mina nodded and just sat there, watching Sohye practice her serves. Mina sighed and decided to teach her properly. Sohye did her last serve when Mina bounced the ball back, letting it in.

“Come on, Sohye. Let’s play.” Mina gave her crescent smiles.

Sohye nodded and did her best to play properly. Mina was taking it easy, knowing she’s playing with a mentally-oriented student. As the game went on, Mina was getting impressed. Sohye was playing so well despite of learning the basics on one day. As Mina played with Sohye, she noticed the Star Student getting tired. She did her last serve and Mina caught the ball this time.

“That’s enough, Sohye.” Mina said.

Sohye nodded and continued to pant. Mina grabbed an extra shirt and face towel from her bag and tossed it to Sohye.

“Change yourself. You’ll get spasms if you don’t,” said Mina.

“Mina…what about-“

“I got an extra shirt to change on, okay? Go and wear it.” Mina smiled.

Sohye nodded and went to the shower room. Mina could only watch her go, her heart beating involuntarily again. She thought of doing something about her emotions but she can’t.

They were too different and were in opposite aspects.


The four friends didn’t stop teaching the Star Section for their event. There were often times that there were feuds happening between the trainers and the students and Doyeon and Sohye would reprimand them of their respect.

And when they’re done, Chungha took desperate measures and talked with the class representatives.  They told them that they would not continue teaching them but…

“Please, Chungha. Don’t do this. We need this for our grades,” said Doyeon.

“How can we even teach them when they disrespect us? Sure it’s natural but this is a serious event. I thought the Star Section was supposed to be a role model for everybody. But by the looks of it, they got no respect,” said Yoojung.

“True…but not all of them…” Mina mumbled.

“Mina’s right. Surely we can spare our patience for the decent ones.” Yeonjung mumbled.

“We’re really sorry for some of our classmates. But please don’t stop teaching us. We’re aspirants of good grades. I don’t want to let the team down. As the Class President, I will take full responsibility,” said Sohye.

Mina’s eyes dilated. Yeonjung and Yoojung had the hearts to give them one more chance. Chungha was having second thoughts but with the majority agreeing to it, she agreed and gave one last chance.

“But let me warn you. We’ll be serious tomorrow.” Chungha said and the two Star Students nodded.

Doyeon and Sohye thanked them. They had their meeting settled and made their leave.

“I’ll be staying to train,” said Sohye.

“Me too…” Mina said too.

Doyeon chuckled. Chungha, Yeonjung, and Yoojung were giving Mina their little chants and cheers as they left the court. Sohye grabbed something from her bag and gave it to Mina.

“Thank you for letting me borrow your shirt.”

“No problem.” Mina smiled and received her now-clean shirt.

“Mina…can you train with me again?” Sohye asked.

“Sure. It’s the reason why I stayed…”


Another phase of training has begun. The four members, who would go submissive against the Star Section, were acting like real leaders, giving instructions and reprimanding those who were not abiding. They got criticism but mostly, they got good results and good feedback. The students were grateful for the four, even the non-abiding ones.

“Good job, everyone. We won’t be having practices next week in preparation for the exams.” Chungha said. “But you will have a dry-run after the exam. So please be ready.”

They all nodded. After the little meeting, some of them took pictures with their favourite mentor. Mina also got her batch, even Sohye wanted to take a picture of her.

Mina was flattered to that. She never thought her crush would want to take a picture of her. Everyone was leaving one by one as she stayed.

“Sohye.” She called and the girl turned to face her. “Can I take a picture with you?”

Sohye nodded. Once everyone left, Mina grabbed her phone and had a selca with Sohye. Mina thanked the student and they left together. Sohye and Mina walked awkwardly and side by side. They were both quiet until Sohye broke the silence.

“Mina…are you having a hard time studying?”

“A little. Actually, I don’t study at all. Then again, I get A-s,” said Mina.”

“Because…I was wondering…if you wanted someone to tutor you.” Sohye said, lowering her head.

“Well, I could use some help in English,” said Mina.

“Can I tutor you, Mina?” Sohye looked at Mina as she asked that question.

Holy ! That gaze!!

Mina felt heat on her face, seeing Sohye so cute. For her, it was lowering her ego if Sohye would tutor her. But then, this was her chance!

“Sure…if it’s okay with you-“

“Yaay~” Sohye cheered and tackled Mina for a hug.

Mina was taken aback as her emotions mixed up inside her being. Her arms were shaking a bit but they wrapped around Sohye as she hugs her back.

“So…when do we start?” Sohye asked.

“Well…how about this weekend?” Mina suggested and Sohye nodded.

“I can hardly wait!” Sohye said and went off.

Mina stood there watching the girl go. Her heart felt a bit relieved…but then again, having this chance could lead some risks.

Why did they have to be in opposite aspects?


-Meet me at the café. Bring your English book and a big notebook.-

Mina got a text from an anonymous. She wondered of the owner of the number but as she read the message, she got the gist.

It was a Saturday, the day wherein Sohye would tutor her. She cussed and went to grab her book, her big notebook, and some markers. She puts them in her bag and left her secured apartment, heading to the café.

*at the café*

Sohye was sipping her latte as she gazed at her own table, an extra latte on top for a special someone. Mina arrived, greeting Sohye and sat down, facing her.

“I got a latte for you, Mina. I hope you can drink caffeine.” Sohye smiled.

“Omo-thanks…” Mina bowed and took a sip.

“So…what part in English do you find difficult?” Sohye asked. “I would say that sentence structuring and grammar and the hard ones.”

“That…also with speech coordination and vocabulary…” Mina said.

“Okay. Shall we start?” Sohye asked and Mina nodded.

Sohye began reviewing Mina the basics and went to teach her of her weak points. Mina did her all to pay attention…but there were times that Mina’s attention were on Sohye.

She saw how pretty Sohye is. She may look timid and cute but she saw a strong will of leadership in her. Not only that, she was smart. But Mina was different. Mina used to dub herself as the smartest of the players but then, she was mostly physically coordinated. She could play any sport, especially basketball and volleyball, making her the MVP of the school.

“Mina?” Sohye called, noticing her dazed look.

“S-Sorry…go on. I’m listening.”

And there comes her admiration towards the genius. Sure it was like a mere scene of a drama but this was different. It’s not a drama. It’s the reality.

She admired Sohye for a while. She may not have a lot of skills and is too engaged in getting her grades up but there’s something in her that made Mina attracted of her. She had determination written all over her face and Mina liked that.

“Okay. That’s it. How about I test you?” She heard Sohye and was back in the real world.

Mina went with the flow as Sohye gave her a little questionnaire. Mina shrugged and answered the test will all her mind and heart. Mina finished it and waited for Sohye to check it. She saw her reaction and she inched closer to see her paper.

“What?”

“I’m impressed. You got 19/20.” Sohye wowed.

Mina chuckled and cheered herself. Sohye laughed and found Mina funny and clapped with her. Mina scooted closer to see her score and bumped onto Sohye’s face, their lips almost inches apart.

“I’m sorry!” Mina yelped and moved away.

Sohye was blushing wildly. Mina regained her composure and gasped when she saw Chungha and Yeonjung on one table.

“Is there something wrong?” Sohye asked her.

Mina continued to gaze somewhere as Sohye followed her eyes. She saw her two mentors. She felt flustered because she saw them so clingy and touchy.

“Are they dating?” Sohye asked Mina.

“I don’t know…but let me tell you this: Yeonjung has a crush on Chungha.” Mina said and Sohye’s eyes dilated.

Mina chuckled with Sohye. They were disrupted by thunder. Mina and Sohye checked outside and it started to rain.

“Oh my…” Mina mumbled. “Do you have an umbrella, Sohye?”

“No…” Sohye shook her head. “I never thought it would rain today.”

“Don’t worry. I have one. Let me take you home.” Mina said.

Mina and Sohye walked side by side, holding the umbrella, protecting them from getting wet. Mina might’ve been obliged to do this for her but she was nervous. She was so close to her crush, her arm wrapped around her to protect her. On the other hand, Sohye was blushing lightly but she walked with Mina properly, not letting her dazed conscience take over.

“Watch out!” A sedan skidded close to them and Mina protects Sohye form getting wet again.

The skidding car splashed water by their part but Mina protected Sohye from that. The both went to rest at the bus stop as Mina dries herself up. Sohye looked at Mina and said:

“I’m really sorry, Mina.”

“It’s fine,” said Mina, drying her hair. “At least you didn’t get yourself wet.”

“I’ll just take the bus. Thanks for keeping me dry.” Sohye bowed and smiled at Mina.

“You’re welcome.” Mina smiled back.

The bus came and Sohye boarded. Sohye saw Mina getting ready to leave when she tapped the glass as Mina faced her. She waved goodbye. Mina waved back and walked home. Sohye sat down and somewhere inside her being, she felt ecstatic.

“Sohye~!!”


Sohye turned around and saw Doyeon and Chaeyeon. The exams were over and the three closest friends-slash-class representatives were checking their ranks in their corresponding bulletin boards. Doyeon and Sohye checked theirs and they were the Top 2, Sohye being first.

“Congratulations, Sohye~” Doyeon cheered and hugged her friend tight.

“You too.” Sohye said. “Chaeyeon got third. Yay~~”

“Nice, nice…” Chaeyeon remarked and even hugged her two friends.

Sohye lets go of their hugs and went somewhere. Doyeon and Chaeyeon were curious as they followed their Penguin President. They were shocked as they passed by the Arts Department, then stopping at the Sports Department.

“Sports…isn’t this Mina and Yoojung’s spot?” Doyeon asked.

“Yah, Kim Sohye! What are we doing here?” Chaeyeon asked her too.

Sohye went towards the bulletin board, checking the ranks of the students during the exams. She looked at the top and she wowed. Doyeon and Chaeyeon checked on the board too and they share the same reaction.

“Wow…Kang Mina…first placer…” Sohye mumbled.

“Jeon Somi and Choi Yoojung in 2nd and 3rd …” Doyeon wowed like her.

“I got to hand it to them. I’m impressed.” Chaeyeon spoke. “Even though their grades are nothing compared to ours, they sure can handle things pretty well.”

Sohye couldn’t agree more. As she gazed at Mina’s rank, she felt a little flutter on her chest. It was a bit awkward on her case but there are feelings in which it cannot be stopped.


Mina, Yoojung, Yeonjung, and Chungha reunited with the Star Section and conducted a dry run for each group.

“Alright. Let’s start with singing.” Yeonjung spoke.

Haein and her group started as Yeonjung had her eyes focused. Chungha would pat the girl’s head and Yeonjung gulped as she focuses harder. The performance went well and Yeonjung gave her feedbacks, which turned out to be a good response.

“Okay, next is my team.” Chungha cheered.

“You’re dead by me later.” Yeonjung whispered.

Mina and Yoojung saw it and they chuckled. They saw the dancers and they cheer for Doyeon and Chaeyeon. The dance went so well that all of them clapped and cheered.

“Mina, Yoojung, time for some games!!” Chungha and Yeonjung cheered.

Yoojung hopped off of her seat and divided her teams according to their respective sport. Yeonjung and Chungha watched their favourite sport as Mina gathered her team and lets them stretch.

“Kim Sohye, manage your group for me, please? I need to watch the games with the mentors.”

Sohye nodded and Mina went to watch the games. Sohye led the team and they obeyed every word she says. When Sohye saw that they were good to go, one of them went closer and whispered:

“Is it me or Kang Mina shows great affection towards you?” Eunbean, the youngest of their team spoke.

“Nah…I’m the President, remember? I have to be assigned,” said Sohye.

“It’s really different, Pres.” Soyeon said as well. “Usually, they should’ve been formal. But it’s different when Mina deals with you.”

“Soyeon’s right, Pres. It seems the MVP has this affectionate side towards you. That explains why you two stay and train.” Juna joined the conversation.

The three cooed, leaving Sohye blushing wildly. But then, it had to wait as Mina called them. They were in their separate sport. Sohye had Hyemin, Soyeon, Juna, Eunbean, and Soomin on her team as they compete with the opponents led by Hyungeun.

“Play!” Mina spoke and Hyungeun did the first serve.

The game went smoothly as Chungha and Mina watched. Mina eyed every player and found out that some of them weren’t competent enough to play. However, seeing Katherine, especially Sohye, she was impressed. She gazed at Sohye and somehow, she couldn’t avert her gaze, even if Chungha waved a hand in front of her.

“W-What?” Mina shook her head, going back to reality.

“I know you like Kim Sohye and all…but please focus on your agenda,” said Chungha.

Mina shrugged her off and focused again. She saw Sohye blocking the hit but as the first half ended, she noticed her panting and rubbing her arms.

“What’s the score?” Mina asked Chungha.

“11-13. Sohye’s team is leading…” Chungha answered.

Mina checked on everyone and they resumed playing. Mina felt uneasy. She watched Sohye play at her best but she noticed she was getting weak. They were still in the lead but Mina grew worried for Sohye. Luckily, Chungha noticed it too.

“They should stop the game.” Mina said.

“Yeah…but can they play for one more interval? The scores are tied up.” Chungha said.

“I don’t want to risk that.” Mina said and stood up. “Stop the game!”

Everyone looked at Mina as she went closer to someone. They mumbled as Mina went to Sohye and held her shoulders. She checked the girl and Sohye was wondering.

“You’re in the brink of hyperventilating…” Mina spoke and looked intently at Sohye. “That’s enough of the dry run-“

“Come on, Mina! We have like a point to settle. Can we continue playing?” Hyemin insisted.

“You can…but the opponent must let one member rest to make the game even.” Mina said back.

All of them protested. Chungha told them of risks they didn’t want to happen but they won’t listen. Sohye noticed the feud was getting out of hand and held Mina’s arm.

“It’s just one round. Please let us play…”

“Didn’t you see yourself? You’re going to blow and if I let that slip, it could risk your health!” Mina yelped.

“*sigh*…come on, Mina. It’s fine. I’ll call the school’s medic team in advance, just in case…” Chungha said.

Mina sighed, sat down, and the volleyball players continued with their game. Mina turned away as the crowd cheered for the intense game. Mina was fiddling with her fingers, waiting for the medic to arrive.

She watched Sohye and she was playing well. But for her, it didn’t suffice. It’s wasn’t her talent that didn’t suffice but her incompetence to last the whole game. She couldn’t hold the hype of her sporty spirit that she could almost cheer for Sohye’s team to win. Sohye delivered the last spike and it got in.

But that’s when Mina ran towards the girl and the girl landed on her arms.

“Shoot…where are they?!” Mina yelled as she nudges Sohye to wake up.

Mina carried Sohye and they went to the door when the medic just arrived. They helped Sohye and sent her to the infirmary. Doyeon and Chaeyeon were worried sick as they caught up to the medics. The students of the Star Section went silent as Mina faced them.

“Now you see why we can’t risk things?! Because of your hard heads, your President was sent to the infirmary! Don’t force anything that’s incompatible!” Mina admonished the volleyball team.

The team lowered their heads. Mina groaned in frustration and left the court. She scratched her head then ran towards the infirmary. As she got there, she saw Doyeon and Chaeyeon on Sohye’s sides. Doyeon and Chaeyeon bowed at Mina as Mina asked of Sohye’s condition.

“The doctor says she’s just stressed out. Her body couldn’t carry any strenuous activities without enough rest,” said Doyeon.

“Did she do anything before the dry run? She would’ve had the weekend to rest after the exam.” Mina said.

“Yeah…she practiced volleyball every night. We tried to tell her to take it easy but she wouldn’t listen.” Chaeyeon said.

“And just between us, Mina…she said she practiced to impress you.”

Mina gulped as Doyeon and Chaeyeon excused themselves to leave. Mina stood there, watching a sleeping Sohye with an IV drip on her hand. Mina sighed and went closer to the sleeping girl and gazed at her.

“Goodness, I never thought you’d practice just to impress me…” Mina said as if Sohye was talking to her now. “You shouldn’t have done that. Now look where it led you…”

“Yah, Kim Sohye. Don’t you know I was worried sick of you during that dry run? If you felt tired, you should’ve just told me that you can’t play. I would’ve exempted you. Seriously, you need to be concerned of your health to play well.” Mina continued to babble.

Mina gazed at Sohye again and hesitated to reach her hand towards her head to give it a little pat. She did do it…and her fingers brushed on her hair gently.

“Hey…I hate to be a shocker but I need to say something. I hope you’re not hearing it…” Mina began, her hands patting Sohye’s head. “…I’ve been admiring you lately. Ever since I saw you pass by the shower room, I couldn’t get my gaze off of you. They say that I’m far from your league because you’re from the Star Section but that didn’t stop my admiration.”

“When you asked our help for your event, I felt like I was blessed with a wonderful opportunity. From our after-training to the time you tutored me of English, that feeling never faded…but…” Mina stopped patting Sohye’s head and stood up.

“…we’re of opposite aspects. I’m not even sure if you feel the same way and I’m far from your league so it’s better if…” Mina finished and decided to leave.

“Mina…”

Mina stopped, feeling a hand hold her wrist. Mina turned around and saw Sohye, her eye opening. Mina sat back down as Sohye smiled, seeing the MVP.

“I heard you…” Sohye spoke and Mina’s face turned red in an instant.

“Uhh…hehehe…well, I was honest about it-but if you find it eerie, I-“

“I like you too.” Sohye said, making Mina freeze for a while. “I trained late even in the weekends for you. I’ve seen you play in the shadows and I couldn’t help but admire you, Mina.”

“*sigh*…some confessions we’re saying…” Mina mumbled and they both chuckled. “But Sohye…we’re different. You’re famous and smart, admired by the administration…and where does that lead me? I’m the MVP and I am out of your league-“

“That doesn’t matter. Social status can’t hinder our feelings for each other. In the eyes of the people, it may seem unrealistic but I’d risk that…”

“Mina…”

“I never got to be free of my feelings because of it. But now…I want to step it up.” Sohye said; her hold on Mina’s hand still intact.

The two remained on their positions, their hold in integral as they contemplate of the sudden interconnection of confessions.

Sohye was the genius.

Mina was the MVP.

They were in opposite aspects. Social status is of the essence wherein it could lead some risks if they step up their relationship further.

The two would want to get out of that barrier…but will it be worth it in the end?


Mina, Yoojung, and Somi were doing their shoots. Mina was the last one to shoot, aiming to get a 3-point shot when…

“Mina~”

She missed the shot. Yoojung and Somi were wondering when they saw Sohye. Mina turned around and a smile plastered on her face as she went close to the Star Section student.

“Hey…what brings you here?” Mina wondered.

“I brought these for you.” Sohye said, giving a pack of treats for Mina.

“This is strike two for me…I owe you a lot, Sohye.” Mina said, accepting the little yet thoughtful gift. “Thank you.”

“Okay…” Sohye blushed lightly. “I need to go now. I still have homework to do.”

Mina nodded and they both bid goodbye. Mina couldn’t help her chuckle but once she turned around, Somi and Yoojung were giving her the serious look.

“What?” Mina asked as she grabbed a piece of chocolate from the bag.

“What in the world was that?” Somi asked back. “Why are you getting close with the genius?”

“I trained them with their event together with Yoojung.” Mina answered, growing frustrated. “What’s wrong of socializing with the Star Section, Somi? It’s not like we’re messing with them or anything.”

“That was one risky move, Mina…” Somi went closer and held her shoulder. “Look, I understand that. But let’s face facts. People here are judgmental and hysterical. What if there would be news that you’re courting her then date her, and it would spread throughout the school? Not only you’re wrecking her reputation but also yours. The administration already dislikes us, now you want to double it?!”

“I hate to be a bummer but…she’s right, Mina. You need to stop it.” Yoojung gave her opinion.

“What about Chungha and Yeonjung? They’re opposites yet they are close.” Mina defended.

“That’s not the case, Mina. They’re both in the same departments but you and Sohye?” Somi said again then snickered.

“We must know our place, Mina. You’re the MVP…and we’re not going to let the genius wreck that reputation,” said Yoojung.

“Don’t you ever say that! Do you ever think that maybe we can change things and feel unity rather than divide ourselves because of social status?!”

Yoojung and Somi went silent. Mina grew angry and left the court. She hated it. She hated the system of people and their judgment. What’s wrong of getting personal with Sohye?

How idiotic of them... Mina thought as she went off.

++

“You got an A. What happened, Sohye?” Haein was shocked.

“Come on, guys. It’s just an A. I’ll get an A+ again.” Sohye said, shrugging it off.

“You’ve never been relaxed on your grades for the past six years. What happened?” Doyeon asked her.

“I heard you bought treats and gave them to the MVP.” Haein said and Sohye blushed. “Yah…didn’t I tell you that we’re far from their league? That MVP showed up and it messed you, Sohye-“

“She didn’t mess with me! Mina is a very nice person!” Sohye defended.

“Well, dragging you down doesn’t make her very nice.” Haein said back. “Look…if you felt it or not, we’re united. In the academe world, we’re united. If one’s grades are getting lower, then we’re all affected because we’re concerned and we know of your potential, Sohye.”

“And one more thing, if we can’t manage our time in everything, we focus. But with Mina…you seemed to have lost it. We’re opposite to them, okay? It’s best not to let it go further.” Doyeon said.

“They’re right, Sohye. You need to understand that we have a different mindset compared to students like Mina. We can’t be with people different from us. It’s the reality.” Chaeyeon finished and Sohye stood up instantly.

“I don’t care of what you guys say! Mina had nothing to do with my depreciation of my performance!  Don’t you ever say that! Do you ever think that maybe we can change things and feel unity rather than divide ourselves because of social status?!”

They all went silent and Sohye walked out of the room. She ran and ran and went towards her favourite spot in the school. It was isolated, far from the real world. Sohye felt calm…but she knew she wasn’t the only one there.

“Mina?” Sohye gasped as she saw a down Mina.

“Oh, Sohye…you know this place?” Mina spoke as she saw her.

“Yeah…I come here whenever I want to let all the stress out.” Sohye said.

“Me too…” Mina chuckled.

Mina and Sohye sat in silence. Sohye stole glances at Mina and she saw her so down. Knowing Mina to be always cheerful, she couldn’t stand seeing her sad. She scooted closer to the girl and pats her shoulder.

“Are you okay?”

“*sigh*…Yoojung and Somi felt a bit…peculiar seeing you coming to the court and giving me treats. They talked something about you and I didn’t like it. I didn’t want them talking bad about you.”

“Same.” Sohye answered and Mina looked at her. “Doyeon and the rest think you were the reason of the change of my performance. Seriously, A and A+ have a little difference so why would they flip out about it?”

“Our friends are just concerned. But I was just hoping they wouldn’t misinterpret anything. I don’t want a feud to happen,” said Mina.

“Mina…the visit on the court was just the first. Do you want me to stop? If you do, I will.” Sohye said.

“It’s not like that, Sohye. If you want to do it, then do it. I don’t mind.” Mina answered.

“But I don’t want to ruin you-“

“You’re not at fault. No one is at fault. The people are judgmental, that’s all.” Mina interrupted her.

“But Mina…do you want to stop this? Tell me…” Sohye said.

Mina froze. She sighed and looked at Sohye. “No…I don’t want to stop it. It’s just the beginning. I like you, Sohye. I was so happy that you came to see me that I kept my treats on the fridge, hoping my sisters won’t grab them and eat them without asking me.” Mina said and they both laughed at the last part.

“But in general, I like you. I like seeing you and I was hoping we could go out.”

“How about this: a date this weekend?” Sohye spoke and Mina chuckled.

“I’d love that.” Mina replied.

*RING*

“I need to go. I still have classes.” Sohye said.

“Okay. Mine’s already over but I’ll stay here for a bit.” Mina smiled.

“I can hardly wait for our date this weekend!” Sohye smiled back.

Mina felt something on her cheek. Sohye gave a little kiss on her cheek and left. Mina held her cheek where she gave the kiss and blushed. She chuckled, her bad mood gone because of that one kiss.


“Hello?! EARTH TO MINA!!”

Mina was back to reality. Yeonjung and Chungha were facing her, giving their confused looks. Mina asked them of their looks and Yeonjung slaps her shoulder lightly.

“You’ve been zoning out for the past five minutes. What’s the gist today?” Yeonjung asked.

“It’s that…” Mina scooted closer and whispered to the two. “…Sohye and I are going out for the first time.”

The two squealed and Mina shushes them. The two calmed and asked of the details.

“That’s the problem. I wanted to initiate it after all she’s done for me. But I don’t know where to start.” Mina said.

“I suggest this. You should go to the karaoke bar-“

“We can’t sing.” Mina mumbled.

“How about at the dance-“

“Not the dance studio. Sohye shared to me she can’t dance much.” Mina said and Chungha cooed.

“Think of this. What do you guys have in common?” Yeonjung asked Mina.

“Uhh…volleyball?” Mina spoke.

“Exactly. How about you take her to the volleyball court?”

“And another thing…you should take her to museums and arenas.” Chungha suggested.

Mina gave a thumbs-up and listed it. Yeonjung and Chungha found her so cute. Chungha nudged Yeonjung and wanted to give her a kiss.

“If you guys are kissing in front of me, I’m out.” Mina mumbled while she wrote.

“How did you…” Chungha was shocked.

“I had tutorials with Sohye and saw you at the café. I was like: look at you, acting all lovey-dovey~~” Mina laughed.

“Yah!” Yeonjung and Chungha blushed.

“Anyways, thanks for your suggestions.” Mina said as she packed her things. “I need to go. I still have basketball practice.”

*at the court*

Mina met with the team. Yoojung and Somi went to bug their captain and they started training.

“Where’s Coach?” Mina asked as they got in the shower rooms.

“She’s sick. She left the both of us in charge,” said Yoojung.

“Okay. Gather the teams. We’ll be having our dry run and a game.”

After Mina was ready, she had a little meeting with the team then dispersed them to train. She managed her team as Yoojung managed hers. They had a little review of the basics and had a game. During the game, Mina was too hyped, making her teammates and the opponents enjoy the game. They would exchange passes, shoots, and rebounds. But then, Mina was too hyped as her thought flooded on Kim Sohye.

“Watch out!!” Eunwoo yelped and Mina was hit by the ball.

“Oww…” Mina winced as Yebin helped her get up.

“Yah! What happened back there? You were like this…” Yoojung said as she impersonated Mina’s look.

They all laughed for a while and Mina shrugged it off. Yoojung scolded Mina to focus and Mina continued to play. Mina attempted to shoot when Yebin did a rebound. Yoojung declared a time-out and pulled Mina towards the side.

“What in the world was that? Is Kang Mina in there?” Yoojung knocked Mina’s head.

“Sorry…I’m just excited.” Mina giggled and Yoojung felt like she was talking to a drunken woman.

“Yah!” Yoojung slapped her shoulder. “Is it Kim Sohye again? If it’s her, I’m going to rip your head off. Focus!!”

Mina nodded and they resumed the game. Mina focused this time and managed to deliver her play to a whole new level. Yoojung and Somi liked it as much as the rest of the team and they were impressed as Mina did a three-point shoot.

“Kang Mina for three!!” Eunwoo cheered as the game continued.

Mina was getting hyped in a good way. She was excited about her date with Sohye and she was so excited for their game and the event. She was blocked but then she got in through the defense line and did a dunk, a move she hasn’t mastered and now, her teammates witnessed it.

“Good game.” Mina panted.

Yoojung and Somi gave a thumbs-up and the rest wowed for that dunk. Mina rushed to the shower rooms and changed in a matter of ten minutes. She excused herself and left hastily.

“What’s with the captain, Yoojung?” Yebin asked.

“She’s more hyped than me.” Eunwoo muttered and Yebin gave her a headlock.

Yoojung and Somi went to the shower rooms. Once the coast was clear, she talked to her while they took a shower on their isolated shower rooms.

“What’s with Mina? Why did she make those mistakes?” Somi asked.

“It’s her again.” Yoojung spoke as she rinsed her hair. “The genius is messing our captain’s focus.”

“Hm…we have to do something about it,” said Somi.


-Meet me at the café-

Sohye got a text from Mina and she was excited. She was all ready and she got out of her house. She got there in less than an hour and went inside. She saw Mina and sat with her.

“It’s macchiato. I found it out through the clerk. I never thought you were one loyal customer here.” Mina gave her crescent smiles.

Sohye giggled and took a sip. Mina took a sip of her latte as Sohye spoke:

“So where are we going?”

“We’ll be heading to a museum and I want to show you a special place…” Mina said.

“We should go now!” Sohye cheered and held Mina’s hand.

“Okay.”

Mina and Sohye got their drinks and they left the café, heading to the museum first.

It was a new museum that Sohye didn’t even know the place existed. Yes, she is a mathematics and science enthusiast and yes, she knew every amazing scientific and historcal museum in the world. Well, at least she thought she did.

She wondered. Did she really hate going out that much she forgot one of those museums? The Mind Museum was the best! Mina, a bit of a hater in the field of science, was all excited on their first stop. At first, Sohye was trying to keep it cool, but when she saw a gallery on cells, she couldn’t deny it, she was impressed. The hologram was mesmerizing to her vision. In a few minutes, Sohye and Mina were going nuts about everything, especially the food section. Mina noticed that Sohye was so happy. It was one thing that she admired and she never grew tired seeing it.

After a few hours of taking pictures, they stopped by the museum’s café for some first-grade organic coffee while eating various treats based on other cultures of the world. They talked while viewing their pictures and made fun of each and every one of them.

“We’ve toured around already. Where do we go next?” Sohye asked excitedly.

“Ever heard of Original Drawing Show Theater? Even though you’re a science enthusiast, I want to show you the field of art.”

“Okay. Let’s go!”

Sohye was experiencing a new view when they got to the theatre.  She never thought an opposite field could be so interesting. But, the theater part, she wasn’t so sure about that. She’s not really a fan of theater arts. She tried acting before tbut the field didn’t embrace her.

But when the show was over, Sohye totally changed her mind. It was amazing!

“So,that’s what happens when ‘drawing’ and ‘theater’ come together. The actors were living art!”

Yes, that was a metaphor. Sohye saw how good they were. Mina was also impressed but she thinks the water drawing was the best part. She never thought she would like it. It was her first time to see it live. It was just awesome.

“There’s more.” Mina smiled.

“Where are we heading?” Sohye asked again.

“Let’s go back in time.” Mina cheered.

Alright, Mina told Sohye that she wanted to show her of historical culture she didn’t know that she’s gonna be serious about it. The World Culture House was their third stop. They saw some historical artefacts and even joined in classes on how they were preserved. Sohye enjoyed the class a lot since she has experience. The learning to play taiko was fine too, though Sohye tried to get a rhythm.

“I’ll count and you beat.” Mina smiled.

Mina counted and Sohye managed to get the beat. Once they finished, they went to a crocheting class. But for the crocheting, Sohye though it would’ve been the worst if Mina was not as bad as she was, thank goodness she was even worse than her, so she thought everything was just alright.

After having lunch, Sohye thought the date was over. Guess she was wrong, again. Sohye’s been to some sports arenas before in her past trips, but the last thing she expected to happen today was going to each and every one of it.

 “Are you tired? Just say something, okay?” Mina said and Sohye kept insisting.

Though it seems a lot like it, Mina would’ve been bored to death. But it was different.

Sohye was there and her presence and her smile mattered on the whole date.

It was 6pm before they knew it. And finally, now they’ll be at their last stop, the moment Mina been waiting for since their recent meeting. Sohye tried to have the time of her life with a very busy and somehow adventurous date but her classmates have been calling her and sending her text messages to come and conduct another project.

They said it was some emergency change in their additional for their grades. No. Sohye said no. She told them she can’t come. Doyeon tried to call her too even Chaeyeon asked her where she was. Sohye tried to hide it from Mina, but she wanted to cry the whole time. Being looked up as a model of their section, things were never easy for her. There are a lot of things that you have to sacrifice in order to be at the top. Back then, Sohye was willing to give it all up just to get good grades. She’s always been fine with it actually. But now, with everything she missed from life is being given back to her by the girl she’s with, she can’t just walk away from it. She wants to feel free. And with her admiration towards Mina, she can’t let it go.

She turned off her phone and now they were standing beside each other, staring at the view of the city. Sohye could sense the happiness in Mina’s eyes. Excited, she prepared something.

“Mina?” She called and Mina responded.

“Thank you for today. I’m so happy.” Sohye said.

“No problem.” Mina said. “Besides, I had to make for all the things you did for me.”

“Mina…” Sohye reached to hold Mina’s hand. “I like you so much. I wanted to ask something…”

“…will you be my girlfriend?” Sohye looked onto Mina’s eyes.

Mina gulped. She wanted to say yes right away...but everything went wrong. As usual, nothing ever goes her way.

“Sohye!!” Sohye turned around and there was Doyeon and Chaeyeon.

Sohye gulped, seeing Doyeon and Chaeyeon’s angry looks. Not only that, she saw Yoojung and Somi. Mina got her turn to gulp and Yoojung and Somi pulled her away from Sohye.

“Where in the world have you been?!! Coach has been looking for you for two hours!!” Yoojung yelled.

“You went on a date with her?” Somi snickered, looking at Sohye. “Don’t see her again.”

“No!” Mina shoved herself away. “Can’t you see we’re going out? You’re disturbing us.”

“The date is over! You’re coming with us and that’s that!” Somi pulled Mina and dragged her.

“I’ll call you later. I’m sorry.” Mina said to Sohye as she left with Yoojung and Somi.

Doyeon and Chaeyeon went closer to Sohye and shoved them away. Doyeon and Chaeyeon were taken aback as Sohye yelled:

“You guys ruined everything!!”

++

Mina was scolded by their Coach in their office and Mina didn’t like every word she spoke. She was in the brink of suspension in playing for their upcoming tournament. It would’ve been announced with grace and dignity but with Mina’s incompetence of her obligation as captain, she had to know it the hard way.

“You haven’t missed anything important in this game since grade school. What’s gotten into you, Mina?”

“It’s nothing, Coach. I just went out with someone.” Mina answered.

“You only have one streak from me, Mina. If anything like this happens again, I will depose your position as captain and give to Yoojung. Am I making myself clear?”

Mina nodded. The Coach excused her and she left the office. She saw Yoojung, Somi, and the rest of her teammates. She was so disappointed in them, especially to Yoojung and Somi.

“We’re sorry, Mina-“

“Shut it.” Mina spoke. “If you want to practice, go…but I’m skipping.”

++

Mina slumped on her bed and contemplated of her good-then-bad day. She was about to doze off when someone called. She wasn’t in the mood to answer anyone. But as she saw the dialler, she answered instantly.

“Sohye?”

“Hey…” She heard Sohye’s down voice. “…how are you?”

“I should be asking you that instead. I’m really sorry earlier.” Mina apologized.

“It’s not your fault. I was so angry. I managed to help with the project and made progresses better than they did. They told me to join for some coffee but I went home afterwards.”

“I got called by my Coach…and I almost lost my position as Captain.” Mina shared and Sohye gasped on the other line. “Yeah. It’s a pain in the …but she gave me a chance.”

“But I had a great time earlier. Thank you, Mina.”

“You’re welcome.” Mina answered. “I want to share something. We’ll be having our game in two weeks.”

“That’s nice. We’re also having our quiz bowl in two weeks too,” said Sohye.

“Hey…Sohye? If you have time…I hope you can watch me play.” Mina said softly.

“I would die to see you play!” Sohye spoke and Mina chuckled. “And…I hope you can see me beat the opponents with my wisdom~”

“I’d be obliged to.” Mina answered.

“Mina…” Sohye called again. “…will you take me out again?”

“Of course.” Mina answered without hesitation. “But l want you to decide the place.”

“Okay. How about at the park?” Sohye suggested.

“Sure. When?” Mina asked.

“During the weekends.” Sohye answered. “And please bring some treats~”

“Hahaha…alright.” Mina agreed.

“I’m hanging out now. I need to sleep.” Sohye yawned.

“Me too,” said Mina.

“Good night.” Sohye said.

“Good night.” Mina replied.

“I love you.”

Sohye hung up and Mina gulped and blushed, the three words lingering on her thought like a broken record. She puts her phone on the table and laid on her bed, her arms and legs sprawled apart. She looked up at the ceiling and dozed her, Kim Sohye being the last person she could dream off…


Sohye and Mina were doing the separate obligations and they gained their excellent performance back. At the court, Mina was focused on playing. She did her shoots, passes, assists, and blocks so well, even their Coach was impressed.

“Good game, everyone. Have a nice weekend.”

They bid goodbye to their coach. The team went to the shower rooms as Yoojung and Somi apologized to Mina.

“I forgive you, guys. Let it all pass behind us,” said Mina.

“Hey…” Somi spoke as the three were on their respective shower cubicles. “There’s this cool new restaurant in town. We should hang out and eat there, you, me, Yoojung, and the rest of the team.”

“That’s a great idea. What do you think, Cap?” Yoojung asked Mina.

“Hmm…I’m not coming.” Mina said, rinsing her hair.

“What? Why?” Yoojung asked suspiciously.

“Is it Kim Sohye again?” Somi asked and Mina was triggered.

“You want me to take back what I said earlier?” Mina spat and Somi said no. “It’s not because of Sohye. I’m off to Jeju to visit my grandparents.”

“Oh, okay…” Yoojung said.

Mina was the last in her shower cubicle as she continued to shower. Once she was finished, she changed and got to her locker. She looked to the sides to see no one. She was the only one left inside their shower room and grabbed a picture hidden inside her locker.

It was a picture of her and Sohye. They took it when Mina took Sohye on their first date. Mina treasured the picture as much as she treasured her moment with Sohye.

And tomorrow, they will go on their second date. She had to lie to her team. They didn’t support of her decision to hang out with the genius and she was dying to go on a date with Sohye.

For her, opposites attract and at that, she had to be there for their date.


Sohye was at the park early. She had gone too excited on their date that she got herself ready quickly and arrived before the sun would shine its rays to irritate one’s skin. Sohye was checking her phone every five minutes, waiting for Mina to send her a text.

Where could Mina be?

*tack*

Sohye heard something and turned around. A smile plastered on her face as she saw Mina, a paper bag on her hand. Sohye went to her and hugged her tight. Mina was taken aback but she hugged Sohye back.

“I brought ddeokbokki and mochi.” Mina smiled and Sohye cheered.

“How did you…these are my favorites…” Sohye smiled as she and Mina sat on the bench.

Mina and Sohye enjoyed eating some treats as they watch the view of the park. Mina enjoyed this serene moment with Sohye. Sohye felt the same, holding Mina’s hand tenderly while leaning on her shoulder. Mina was tensed, her heart beating at a fast pace. But then again, she shrugged it off and held back, leaning her head a little towards Sohye’s.

“Watch out!” 

Mina reacted as she caught a basketball. She saw a little girl and her friends were at her back.

“I’m so sorry, unnie.” She bowed and Mina gives the ball back to her.

“It’s alright.” Mina smiled. “Is there a court here?”

“Yes, unnie. How about you come with us?” The girl offered.

Mina looked at Sohye for approval and she was fine with it. The two of them followed the little girls towards the court and Mina couldn’t help her chuckle as she saw the kids having fun. They weren’t good at playing but seeing their friendship and their happy faces sufficed the scene in front of her.

“They’re so adorable,” said Sohye.

“Yeah…they remind me of myself when I was a kid.” Mina said.

“Unnie…do you play?” The girl asked Mina.

The girl tossed the ball to Mina. Mina bounces the ball and played like a true basketball player. The kids cheered for her and Sohye couldn’t hold her smile and admiration towards her. Seeing Mina play close made her heart flutter. She never thought Mina looked cool when she plays.

Mina did a three-point shot and the kids gathered towards her and cheered. Mina showed her crescent smiles. Sohye noticed that she was sweaty that she grabbed a towel from her duffel, went closer to her, and wiped her face.

“You two look cute together, unnie. Are you two dating?” One of them asked Sohye.

“Ah…no…we’re just really great friends,” said Sohye and Mina nodded.

“But you two are meant for each other…” She pouted and tossed the ball to Sohye. “Can you shoot a ball, unnie?”

“She can’t…” Mina said and the children pouted. “…but do you want me to help her in teaching how to shoot?”

The children nodded. Sohye was flustered but Mina insisted. The children were on one side as they will save the ball just in case Sohye misses. Mina was at her back, helping her with the proper starting position, her hold on the ball, and her timing in delivering power on the shoot.

Sohye would’ve been focusing but with Mina so close to her, she couldn’t hold her blush. Then again, she did the shot but it hits the edge of the ring. The kids managed to catch it and they insist that she should try again.

“I don’t want to!” Sohye whined and pouted at Mina.

“Come on. Just one more…” Mina insisted.

Sohye huffed and agreed. She remembered all the things Mina taught her and she puts herself to the test. She did her shoot, the children anticipating and Mina watching Sohye in admiration.

The ball was shot cleanly inside the hoop. The children cheered as Sohye clapped for her little achievement. Mina couldn’t help but smile for the genius. Sohye went closer to Mina and hugged her, hearing coos from the children.

“Yah! It’s getting hot. You need to pass by to eat ice cream and shoot yourselves home.” Mina said to the children.

The children whined but they agreed. They got the names of the two cute teenagers and they hoped to see them again. “Bye Mina-unnie, Sohye-unnie.” They waved their hands and went off.

Mina and Sohye bid goodbye to the children. Mina looked up to see the sun shining, the rays hitting her cute eyes. Sohye was also squinting looking at the sun that she pulled Mina towards the trees, giving them shade.

“What do you want to do next?” Mina asked.

“Can we go by that little playground?” Sohye asked back and Mina agreed.

Mina and Sohye went out by the shaded playground. Sohye held Mina’s hand and Mina held back.

“You know…the children were right. We’re meant for each other.” Mina smiled and Sohye chuckled lightly.

They got to the shaded playground and sat by the swings. Mina and Sohye got awkward afterwards but…

“Hey, Mina…can I talk about something?”

“Sure…” Mina answered.

“Look at me…because I want to talk about us…” Sohye said and Mina did exactly what she said.

“Let me ask you. Is there something between us?”

“There is, Sohye…” Mina answered honestly, her hand holding Sohye’s. “…but I don’t want to risk anything yet. You’re a genius admired by everyone and I’m the MVP admired in the shadows. We are in opposite aspects but I swear that I am the happiest person when I am with you…”

“Mina…” Sohye held back. “…can’t we try?”

“Sohye…you would defy status quo for me?” Mina asked.

Sohye could only smile. Mina waited for an answer but she didn’t expect her answer turned into a kiss on the cheek.

Mina could only gulp and resist her feelings. It was strike two for her.

“Wait a second…” Mina said, letting go.

“What? What’s…” Sohye stopped when Mina knelt in front of her.

“Kim Sohye…will you be my girlfriend?”

Sohye didn’t hesitate and said yes, tackling Mina for a hug. Mina was overwhelmed. She felt like it was all a dream in which she never wanted to wake up.

“Sohye…what about our friends?”

“You’re right. We’re both so overwhelmed that we want to tell someone of our relationship…but you know we can’t do that.”

“Hmm…how about Chungha and Yeonjung? We trust them…” Sohye said.

“You’re right.”


“DATING? OMGGGGG~” Yeonjung squealed.

Chungha and Yeonjung were on the veranda. Yeonjung had checked Mina’s IG account and saw a picture of her and Sohye.

“Yah, Chungha, check it out!” Yeonjung shows a picture to her girlfriend.

“Thankful for her answer…#IGotAGirlfriend #Sohye<3 #MiSo #smile…” Chungha read then laugh. “Mina’s hashtags are so corny~”

“Forget the hashtags. Don’t you find it adorable?” Yeonjung asked as she wrapped an arm around Chungha.

“It’s cute…but maybe we’re being scammed? Maybe Mina was pranking us? Maybe she’s planning another prank?!” Chungha speculated as she held Yeonjung’s face.

“Oh, stop being such a drama queen!” Yeonjung laughed.

Chungha laughed with her and they leaned onto each other, bugging each other with their little jokes while having their precious moment. Little did they know…someone already heard and saw them...

++

“What?!”

“I heard it from Yeonjung and Chungha.” Chaeyeon said.

“It seems Sohye lied to us,” said Doyeon.

“How stubborn of her…” Haein mumbled.

“We should do something about it.” Doyeon advocated.

“Our multi-intelligence field is almost coming. Another thing is that we’ll be having a dry run. You two need to have a word with Somi and Yoojung about this.” Haein said and the two nodded.

++

The four mentors met with the Star Section and had the dry run. The progresses were good and everything went smoothly without any restrictions and little wars. As usual, Sohye would stay to train and Mina would watch over her.

Doyeon and Chaeyeon got the signal from Haein and went outside first, waiting for Yoojung and Somi to get out. Doyeon saw the two heading towards the exit but then she stopped as Yoojung and Somi grabbed Chaeyeon’s hand and hers. They got to a private sector and Doyeon spoke:

“We need to talk about something.”

“Let me guess. Mina and Sohye?” Yoojung asked and she nodded. “Don’t worry. We’d be obliged to do so.”

“Mina never practiced since grade school…until Sohye showed up-“

“Hey!” Doyeon reacted of their insult towards Sohye.

“Well, Sohye had never experienced a decrease on her grades until now. Mina has become a distraction.” Chaeyeon remarked.

“Yah!!” Somi yelped. “Disregard that. We have to do something. We need to keep them apart.”

“I agree.” Chaeyeon nodded.

“Me too…” Yoojung spoke.

“Okay. I have a plan…”

++

Yoojung, Somi, Doyeon, and Chaeyeon were discussing of the plan but then again, they had to do some other time. It was lunch time and naturally, all students were in their respective groups based on status quo. It was their nature…until the word of dating spread…

“Have you heard? The dancer Kim Chungha and singer Yoo Yeonjung are dating?” A student from the Technical Vocational Economics department spoke.

“That doesn’t matter. They’re both from the arts department,” said another.

“I also got another. Eunwoo is dating Siyeon from the Glee Club.”

“What the , Eunwoo?!” Yoojung snapped at Eunwoo. “Are you crazy?!”

“What’s wrong about it?” Eunwoo raised an eyebrow. “I’m not the only one. Even Yebin here’s dating Shin from the Technical Vocational Economics department.”

“Sorry…I can’t help it.” Yebin shrugged. “Let me share something. See Ki Heehyun?” Yebin pointed out to Heehyun with her beloved skateboard-slash-rapping team. “She was about to get a dose of Yoo Chaekyung from the cooking club…like, how crazy is that?”

Yoojung and Somi gulped. They saw Doyeon and Chaeyeon on one end with the Star Section, their faces disorientated due to the fact that some of them are dating from opposite departments and from opposite aspects.

And then a feud started from the Star Section and the Technical Vocational Economics Class. One of the teachers had reprimanded them and everyone went back to their usual businesses and mind-sets.

Mina and Sohye were of sweet timing. They almost got caught but they separated just in time. Mina went closer to where her squad was and asked of the sudden atmosphere.

“What’s up? Oh, let’s see…you had the guts to lie to us and spend a second date with Sohye!” Yoojung answered.

“With that coming up…and also for Chungha and Yeonjung dating, suddenly…the status quo is unbalanced and suddenly, opposites tend to attract themselves.” Somi said and dragged Mina to sit down. “Even these dweebs are dating opposites…all from the Technical Vocational Economics Department.”

Eunwoo and Yebin shared and Mina didn’t mind and was happy about that. Somi nagged them to shut up and she, Yoojung and Mina talk again.

“Don’t you see what’s happening? It could happen to you and Sohye. Another thing, our team is coming apart because you thinking about her, dating her, and just made us find out that you are her girlfriend.” Somi spoke.

“The Arts Department and the Technical Vocational Economics Department suddenly think they can talk to us, even the crazy rapper Ki Heehyun.” Yoojung pointed and Heehyun and Mina greeted each other.

“And now, the students might think they can mingle and date opposites, which actually tears the balance of the status quo in this institution, tearing one of its principles.” Somi said, stabbing a fork on her lunch.

“Students are doing stuff that is not their stuff! Eunwoo and Yebin’s cases are almost unbearable but yours, The Captain of the Basketball Team and the President of the Star Section in a relationship? It’s a major problem and it’s going to fall into place! You’re thinking of where you’ll take Sohye next while we have a game next week!!” Yoojung ranted.

*at the Star Section Table*

“Well…we can’t help that, right? Come one, guys. What’s wrong with orienting yourself to an opposite?” Sohye said.

“You’ve gone nuts…” Haein mumbled.

“You know interaction of opposites is not one of the principles in the university and you also know that the principles of the school are important in our academe life,” said Doyeon.

*ring*

“Come on. We’ll be late for class.” Sohye just gave them a smile.

They followed their President. In this state, they had to do something about it…

++

Sohye got a text from Mina to meet her at their favourite place. Sohye couldn’t agree more and went there after doing all her obligations and priorities. She got there, seeing Mina waiting and seeing the wonderful sunset.

“Hmm…how stealthy of you…” Sohye spoke.

“Yah. Our friends finally found out about us. It’s about time we go on stealth mode.” Mina said.

“Well, I can’t argue to that,” said Sohye, sitting next to Mina.

“Remember the principles of our university?” She asked and Mina nodded. “This has been Korea Women’s Polytechnic hidden principle: Don’t bite off more than you can chew. Don’t teach an old dog new tricks and stick to the status quo.”

“Some principle…” Mina muttered.

“For the first time, I felt that the principles had me thinking wrong. Because now…I see that there’s more to what meets the eye.” Sohye said. “And I got that…when I met you.” She looked onto Mina’s eyes.

“Me too, Sohye.” Mina answered back.

The bell rang and the both of them went back to classes. The little talk was memorable to both parties. Now they know that it won’t be their last meeting.


Sohye and Mina would meet secretly in school. It was risky and it would cost them their reputations and standings in their aspects but to them, emotions were much stronger, especially love.

They were by the stairs, talking a lot of stuff when they saw the door opening. They both hid by the walls as Yoojung got out and had a curious look. Mina and Sohye saw Yoojung leave and they sigh in relief.

Another scenario was that they were by their lockers, stealing gazes, getting their stuff for the next class. Doyeon was coming towards their direction and Mina excused herself and went ahead. Sohye saw Doyeon going to her locker, getting an Algrebra book as she talked to Sohye.

“Did you finish your homework?”

“I did.” Sohye said. “Even Mina helped me understand all the details that we were confused about since day one.”

The third meeting was at the music room. They made fun of the instruments and would hide everytime someone passed by. And at that time, they almost shared their kiss when Chaeyeon came inside. They hid by the timpani drums and almost got caught. With Chaeyeon being meek as she was, disregarded her senses and went outside after getting a clarinet.

It was all a good start for them. But then…all their priorities had been tossed aside without each of their awareness.

++

The Basketball Team had their training. Their coach wasn’t present. Mina would’ve been leading them but she wasn’t around. Yoojung and Somi were aware of the reason. They were growing restless of their captain’s incompetence that Yoojung had to take over.

It was tough. With Yoojung’s rage, all of them stepped up to their game abruptly. Yoojung’s yells filled the gym. Somi was about to get the ball when Yoojung caught it and asked her:

“Any news of Mina’s whereabouts?”

“No.” Somi said and Yoojung gives the ball to her, continuing the practice.

++

Their fourth attempt was at the volleyball court. They watched the varsity players play at their hardest. Kang Sira, Mina’s cousin, was the Captain. Sira got the chance to meet the two and was surprised to know that the two were dating.

“Don’t worry. We’re like you, Mina. The volleyball team won’t spread it and we also support you,” said Sira as the team nodded.

Mina and Sohye continued to watch and talked a lot about volleyball. Mina and Sohye were having a great time together and in return, obligations have been tossed aside.

++

Yoojung finished the training. All of them went to the shower rooms yet Yoojung stopped as she finally saw their Captain. Yoojung sighed, grabbed a ball, and tossed it to her.

“I…uh…I think I’m going to stay a while and do some free throws.” Mina said.

“Since you missed practice, I think we deserve a little effort from you today.” Yoojung said sarcastically.

Yoojung bumped her on purpose and went to the shower rooms. Mina felt the disappointment that she could only sigh and did some free throws. She just shrugged, her throws going in all the time. She did another one but it missed. But then, it wasn’t an intention. Mina was distracted as she saw Sohye.

“Hey.” Mina greeted, doing another good shoot.

“Is it me or the gym got smelly?” Sohye shrugged as she moved closer.

Mina chuckled as Sohye grabbed the ball. She did a shot and it got in. Mina was impressed. “Woah! Looks like someone’s getting good at hoops…”

“Of course! I have you to thank for that,” said Sohye.

Mina did another clean shot as Sohye talked to her. “So…Sira called me and they’re conducting a try-out for the volleyball team. They wanted to pick the big four from the different departments. And I’m planning to represent the Star Section but most importantly, our STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) Department.”

“I got an invitation too. She and her team wanted me to represent for the Sports Department. And by the way, I missed practice so I have to blame you for that.”

“Yah!” Sohye whined. “I wasn’t the one saying that you should-“

“Sohye…chill,” said Mina.

Sohye grabbed the ball and did bad traveling. Mina laughed and they played tag for a bit. Mina and Sohye stopped, with Mina hugging her from the back.

“Kim Sohye! What are you doing here? This is a closed practice.” They let go as they saw Yoojung.

”Come on, Yoojung. The practice is over,” said Mina.

“Not until the last player leaves. Come on, Mina. As the Captain, you should know that it’s the team rule.”

”Sorry, Yoojung.” Sohye bowed.

“What’s the gist of coming here, Sohye? Mina got plans for your next date?”

“Hey!”

“I’ll see you later, Mina.” Sohye mumbled. “You too, Yoojung.”

“See you in the dry run, Kim Sohye!” Yoojung yelled as Sohye ran.

Mina didn’t like this side of Yoojung. She held her arm and forced Yoojung to face her. “What’s with you? If you want to get your rants and sarcasms out, say it to me, not to Sohye.”

“Shut it! You haven’t missed practice since grade school. First you lose your focus, then you skip an important meeting about our big game, then you skip practices twice! That genius shows up and-“

“That genius…is named Sohye. She’s not harming anyone. What’s the big deal?”

“Well, her presence turned you into someone you’re not, at least in my book!” Yoojung expectorated.

“She’s not the problem, Yoojung. Why are you thinking that way? She’s just a girl!!” Mina spat back.

“Just a girl?! She’s the President of the Star Section! She’s not just any girl and you’re not just any girl too!” Yoojung ranted again. “You’re the MVP, Captain of the Basketball Team. The Sports Department may be third in the administration but we’re disliked by them. And now, what you’re doing effects not only to our team but to our standing in this university. If you’re not completely focused on the upcoming game, we’re not going to win and we’ll lose the respect of the administration.”

“Mina, you know the games don’t come along all the time. This is one thing we all dreamed of. This is a special event to you, me, and the team.”

“Yeah, well, a lot of things have been special as the games, Yoojung.” Mina reasoned.

“But...you’re going to be there and play with us…and stop being with Sohye, right?” Yoojung said her heart out.

“Did you ever embrace the wrong side of the principle of this school? Did you ever think that we’d all unite instead of shrugging other off because we’re different? But the one question that triggered me is that…did you ever think you’d just stop me from being with Sohye and trap me in this ty reality of such a principle?” Mina batted and Yoojung went silent.

“So much for a team…” Mina snickered and walked away.

Yoojung gulped. Somi and the others witnessed their argument as Somi went to pat the girl’s shoulder.

“I’m sorry. I know it hurts seeing our Captain like that…but we need to do this for them. We need to finish what we have started.”

“You’re right,” said Yoojung.


Yoojung and Somi saw Mina at the library. They went closer to their Captain and managed to talk things.

“Zip it, alright? I’ll be joining practice…but I won’t be there for the whole period. It’s not because of Sohye but…I’m representing our Department for the Major Volleyball Team.

“What? What did the God of Sports store in your heart that made you join?” Somi asked.

“I just want to. Besides, my cousin Sira invited me. I’m going to do it. I’m MVP so who cares?” Mina ranted.

“Who cares?” Yoojung asked. “Mina, we’re your best friends. Look, you’re more of the hoops girl, not a volleyball girl.”

Mina sighed and moved to another table. She had enough of their little doubts. But then, the two vitamins went closer to Mina to knock some sense into their Captain.

“Have you heard of Seohyung before?” Yoojung asked.

“Yeah. She was the girl who transferred out of this school for no reason.”

“But did you know why she transferred? Didn’t you know she really did have a reason to transfer?” Yoojung asked and Mina shook her head. “Exactly my point! Somi, you tell her.”

“She was known to be the divergent student because she moved from one department to another. Now the reason of that was that she was also a playgirl, having girlfriends per department.”

“Wait, didn’t she and our libero Seokyung date before?” Mina asked and Somi nodded.

“And when the word of it spread to the school, she was forced to transfer. Now my point is if the word that two major opposites are in a relationship would be leaked, you’re going to end up like Seohyung.”

“Now let me ask you another question. How are we going to focus on the game when our Captain is off on her little date with the genius and wearing shorts playing volleyball?” Somi batted another question.

“Sohye is not the problem! How many times do I have to plant that thought inside your heads?!” Mina ranted and the librarian shushes them.

“You may say that but time will come that you will regret it,” said Yoojung.

“Please, Mina…you’re our Captain. We need you. Big time,” said Somi.

Mina closed her book and left the library. Yoojung and Somi tried big time but it was no use. Since they couldn’t do anything to change their Captain’s mind, they had to initialize the plan.

++

The two went to the STEM Department and went inside the chemistry lab where Doyeon and Chaeyeon were.

“Huh? What are you varsities doing here?” Chaeyeon asked.

“We need to talk.” Somi said.

“Go on,” said Doyeon.

“Another thing has hindered Mina: it’s the Major Volleyball Team. One more thing is that Sohye has gone into Mina’s life too much.”

“I remembered something. Sohye talked about joining the Major Volleyball Team to represent our department.” Chaeyeon shared.

“Now that you mention it, we finally understand why she’s joining,” said Doyeon.

“It’s getting out of hand. We need to do something,” said Yoojung. “We might need to go with our plan.”

“But will it work?” Chaeyeon asked.

“It’s the way  to save our teams from the system and our leaders from themselves.” Yoojung said as Chaeyeon and Doyeon tend to agree. “So are we on?

“Yeah.” The two geniuses said.

“Let’s go.”

Mina got a text from her team of another meeting. She wanted to skip it but Sohye texted her that she was also having a meeting with her class. Mina sighed and decided to meet her team at the court. But as she got there, she wasn’t expecting to see such things…

“Kim Gyuhee, guard, class of ’09. She was the MVP in the league championship game.” Yoojung began as she showed the picture.

“Kim Danbi, forward, class of ’06, also known as ‘Dan to the B!’. She was the Captain and the MVP of the league championship team.” Somi said while doing a little dance.

“Park Jisul, center, class of ’15. She led our basketball team to back-to-back city championships and became the youngest international player in the history of this university’s basketball team. What a legend…” Yoojung spoke again.

“Yes, legends, one and all. But did you think these legends became legends by getting involved in events and not abiding the principles of this university before the league championships?” Somi asked.

“Get your head in the game!” The team chanted.

“No. These legends became legends because they set their minds on their proper obligations and kept their eyes on the prize,” said Somi, the team chanting again. “Who was the first freshman ever to make starting varsity and earned her title as MVP?”

“Kang Mina!” The team yelled.

“Who voted her captain for the past decade, from grade school until high school?” Yoojung asked.

“Us!”

“And who’s going to get their asses kicked if Mina worried about another sport and the girl of her dreams?”

“Ours…” The team went down.

“Guys, come on. There’s like 10 people on this team, not just me.” Mina spoke.

“Just 10, oh no! You forgot the 11th member of our squad.” Yoojung said and showed another picture.

“*sigh*…coach We.”

“Yes, Mina. She’s was the MVP and basketball champion, class of ’05. Champion, Coach…and is about to be a mother of twins. It’s a winning tradition like no other.”

*at the Star Section room*

“From lowly Neanderthal and Cro-Magnon, to early settlers, warriors, medieval knights, all leading up to…” Chaeyeon started as Doyeon and Haein showed their made-up picture of Mina. “…lunkhead basketball cutie.”

“Yes, our culture worshipped the aggressor throughout the ages and we end up with spoiled, overpaid, dense athletes, who contribute to civilization other than dunks, touchdowns, serves, and a ball. That is the inevitable world of Kang Mina.” Haein discussed.

“But the path of human intellect, the path we’re on, ours is the path that brought up a lot of good people: Ptolemy, Galileo, Newton, Einstein, Lee Hankyung, Kim Ungyong, even the idol Younha, and so many others the world reveres.” Doyeon finished.

“Okay…what is your gist here? I’ve got Mina waiting for me to practice for the Major Volleyball Team.”

“Yah Kim Sohye!” Haein yelled and Sohye froze. “Kang Mina represents a different aspect in our university. And our side, the side of education and accomplishment is the future of civilization. This has been your side, Pres. This is the side where you belong…and we’re not going to let some opposite ruin your place of being here and wreck you of your potential.”

“Are we really going through this again? I’ve decided, okay? Mina’s also like me. She ditched the basketball team as much as I’m ditching my studies for our love…and nothing’s going to stop that.” Sohye ranted.

“Really, now? You need to see this…” Doyeon opened her PC as it showed footage of...

“Huh? Mina?

*back at the court*

“Guys, if you don’t know I’ll put all my best, efforts, and my guts in that game, then you forgot who I really am,” said Mina.

“But Mina…we just thought-“

“I’ll tell you what I thought.” Mina interrupts Yoojung.  “I thought you were my team and you’d trust me with the decisions I make. But most importantly, I thought you were my friends. Whatever happens out in that game, win or lose, we’re a team.”

“But suddenly Sohye…and the dating and the union of opposites…”

“Come on, Somi. I’m for the team. I’ve always been for the team. Sohye’s just someone I met.” Mina said yet her teammates weren’t convinced.

“Alright, the volleyball thing and those times were nothing. Things went out of place and it was the only way to keep my nerves down, even my times were Sohye didn’t me anything. This is our team and the championship game matters a lot to us. Sohye is not important. I’ll break up with her, forget her, and I’ll forget the Major Volleyball Team and we’ll get that championship.” Mina exploded and everyone went silent.

“Everyone happy now?”

*at the Star Section Room*

Sohye witnessed the video and Mina’s confession. The words hit her heart like a stake. She felt foolish, used, and hurt as her hopes of finding love were taken in less than a snap.

“Behold…lunkhead basketall cutie.” Haein said again and Sohye felt tears flow out from her eyes.

“So Pres , we’d love to have you back for the quiz bowl next week. Do you want to come with us and grab some lunch?” Doyeon asked.

Sohye shook her head and looked away. Chaeyeon and Haein noticed something but Doyeon pushed them outside and said:


“We’ll be at the canteen if you want to catch up.”

Sohye nodded as the three left their President. Sohye sighed and heard cheering outside. She looked down to see the Basketball Team celebrating and Mina was there. Sohye laughed the pain off and left the room.

She walked silently by the hallways and thought of her times with Mina. She was the MVP that she admired and fell in love with. When she was with Mina, all chained boundaries were free. She felt calm, unpressured, and happy being with her. She felt love from Mina…and she also loved her.

But hearing Mina’s confession, she wondered. How could Mina do that to her? What did she do to make Mina say such words? Were all those moments a farce? Was Mina playing with her feelings all along?

They may be taught to never unite with opposites but Sohye would’ve believe and saw another phase of self-understanding if she jumped off of the university’s principles. She did that when she was with Mina, when she loved Mina, and when she was dubbed as the MVP’s girlfriend. But now, it all faded to dust. But what’s engraved on her mind now was the illusion of her and Mina.

She was at her locker, going back to her initial mind-set and grabbed a book. She felt a presence by her side that she turned around. She gasped. It was Mina.

“Hey.” Mina greeted, showing her crescent smiles.

Sohye ignored her and continued to scope inside her locker. Mina wondered of that yet she continued to talk. “How are you? Listen, I want to talk to you about something-“

“And here it is: I know what it’s like to carry a load with your friends. I get it. You got your team, Mina. It’s okay. So we’re good.” Sohye plastered a smile.

“Good about what? I want to talk about the Major Volleyball Team.” Mina said.

“I don’t want to do it either. I’ll just let Hyungeun or Hyemin to represent our department…” Sohye said and Mina was taken aback. “Who are we trying to kid? The principles rooted in this very university were meant to be implemented because of this. I thought we could change that…but I’m afraid to say this but…I was wrong. You have your team and your place as Captain and I’ve got mine being the President of the Star Section. You’ll do the championship game and I’ll do the quiz bowl. It’s where we belong…”

“Fighting…” Sohye said, giving her ring to Mina.

“But I-“

“Me neither.” Sohye interrupted her for the last time and left.

Mina took a while to process everything. She called Sohye but the President ignored her. She processed everything and it hit her.

She noticed a camera that was held down by Eunwoo. The event at a court was a setup. And with Sohye giving her ring to her, it was a sign that Sohye was hurt and she wanted to break up with her. Mina saw her own ring on her finger as thoughts of what she said earlier.

“What…what have I done?”


The Multi-Intelligence event of the Star Section commenced. Chungha and Yeonjung were excited to watch the performance and the games. They were also excited to see Sohye and Mina. Yoojung and Somi got to their seats as Yeonjung wondered of the missing seat next to Somi’s.

“Where’s Mina?”

“She texted me, saying that she won’t be coming.” Yoojung answered.

“Why? What happened?” Chungha asked.

“She won’t tell us. We’ve been calling her but she doesn’t answer.” Somi said.

Juna came down the podium and said something to Chungha and Yeonjung. As Juna finished, Chaeyeon and Doyeon raced down and said:

“Our President won’t participate in the event.”

“Is she nuts? If she doesn’t do this, she won’t have a grade for this subject!” Yeonjung grew worried.

“I’ll make an exception. I know of Sohye’s potential. She can’t fail this,” said Chungha.

“Right. We’re the ones grading so…yeah. We’ll take care of it.” Yeonjung assured the three.

The three thanked them as the song and dance performances commenced. Chungha and Yeonjung held hands and watched. Yoojung and Somi also watched but they were a little distracted. They had a feeling that things won’t be going well in the future…

*two days later*

The basketball team were practicing their passes at the basketball court outside the field. Mina came and Yoojung and Somi got excited seeing their Captain again.

“Hey, Cap!” Somi tackled her for a hug.

“Shoot some hoops with us, Cap,” said Yoojung.

Mina ignored them and went to the arena and ran a mile. The rest of them were shocked. Usually, Mina would be giddy in practice but today, she was so gloomy.

“What’s wrong with Mina?” Seokyung asked.

“Don’t worry. She’s just cranky,” said Yoojung.

++

On their second practices, Mina came after the official practice. Yoojung lets her practice alone but as of this time, she and Somi would be watching her. They saw Mina practice but her first shot missed the ring. She tried again but she still missed. Yoojung and Somi gulped. They saw Mina’s face and she was in the brink of crying.

“I have a bad feeling about this, Yoojung. Do you think she’s like that because of what we did?” Somi asked.

They watch Mina do another shot and it missed. Mina grew angry that she threw the ball on the benches and slumped on the floor. Yoojung and Somi never saw that side of Mina before. What hits them was that Mina’s cries filled the whole gym.

“Mina-“

“Don’t. Let’s leave her in peace.” Somi said as she and Yoojung leave Mina in the gym.

Mina crouched and cried. Her teary eyes gazed on the rings. She felt her heart clench as she remembered everything.

Ever since that unexpected meeting, she never saw Sohye again. Well, she did pass by her but she was ignored by the genius. Because of it, Mina was getting restless. She couldn’t sleep well, she couldn’t eat much, and she would miss practices to contemplate. With the events, she was lost without Sohye. Sohye was her energy, the person that kept her sane, and the person that made her happy.

It was all true. Sohye meant a lot to her. The words she spoke rang on her mind everyday that she felt guilty for saying it. She would’ve done something about it, even scold Yoojung and Somi for what they’ve done…but she was too wrecked. She would’ve done everything to bring Sohye’s love and trust back to herself but she could never find her. She could never think that initial phase of Sohye’s ignorance was the last time she could ever see and talk to her.

“Sohye-ya…I’m so sorry…”

++

Sohye was at her home, studying. Usually she would study one book per session. But now, she was reading every book she could find. She stopped for a moment and got out of her balcony to see the view. She remembered her times with Mina but she cursed and went back to her room to study.

In class, Sohye would pay attention on the lesson discussed and was reading a book during breaks. Doyeon and Chaeyeon thought Sohye was isolating herself and was getting restless. Haein also watched her and felt Sohye had been triggered because of their little scheme.

During recess, the three would ask Sohye what she wanted to eat but…

“No, thank you. Leave me alone to read.”

The three gulped. Sohye was always soft-hearted and kind. Now she was as cold as ice, a book or two plastered in front of her face all the time. The three got out. Haein held both of their arms and said:

“We were wrong. We shouldn’t have…”

“Maybe Haein was right,” said Chaeyeon.

“It’s nothing. She’s just persistent. It’s what we want her to be, right?” Doyeon spoke.

++

During lunch, Mina was walking with a carton of milk on her hand. She passed by and saw Sohye. They met each other’s paths. Mina was happy to see Sohye again. The carton of milk on her hand was chocolate, Sohye’s favourite. She wanted to give it to her when Sohye harrumphed and brushed her off. It was also different because she was sitting at the singles area and not on the table where the Star Section was.

“What the…” Yeonjung gasped as she saw Mina and Sohye’s little scene.

“How did that happen??” Chungha asked too.

It wasn’t only them that witnessed it. Yoojung, Somi, Chaeyeon, and Doyeon saw it too and they tensed. Doyeon and Chaeyeon grew worried as Sohye ate lunch alone. Yoojung and Somi saw Mina heading towards their way and they waved.

“Hey, Cap! Hey!!”

Mina shook her head at them and went by the stairs towards the hallways, skipping lunch. Yoojung and Doyeon looked at each other as they tensed like Chaeyeon and Somi.

Yeonjung and Chungha sensed something. They discussed some guesses until one of those guesses coincided with their ideas.

“Mina and Sohye must’ve broken up. Yoojung, Somi, Doyeon, and Chaeyeon worked together and made a plan to tear Mina and Sohye apart.” Chungha began. “Because if they did, they would’ve wrecked the principles in which Sohye had to practice.”

“But Chungie, it’s not wrong to love someone, right? I know the principles would affect their positions but it’s not the case. What’s wrong of loving an opposite? Like us…” Yeonjung said.

“It’s alright for us because we’re in the same department. Mina and Sohye are waay too different.”

“But the status doesn’t defy love.” Yeonjung said and Chungha knew she was right.

“You right, babe. How about we bring them back together?”

++

Chungha and Yeonjung called a meeting with Yoojung, Somi, Chaeyeon, and Doyeon. The four were wondering of their gathering when Chungha came closer and slapped each of their faces. The four were taken aback and felt their cheeks sting.

“Why did you-“

“That was for planning something and breaking love apart on your leaders…” Chungha spoke.

Yeonjung also went closer to them and gave her set of slaps. She even added a pinch on the ear for Doyeon and Yoojung.

“You two initiated this whole feud. Give me one reason why you did that to Mina and Sohye,” said Yeonjung.

“We thought Mina would wreck Sohye’s reputation and lose our chance in winning the quiz bowl!” Doyeon yelped.

“We thought Sohye would wreck Mina’s reputation and lose our chance in winning the championship!” Yoojung cried.

The four friends crouched and bowed to Chungha and Yeonjung, saying their sorry. Yeonjung felt pissed and was about to raise a fist when Chungha told her not to.

“You think your little scheme fixed everything? Because of it, your leaders’ thoughts are disoriented. You know that they love each other and you had to be in the way!” Yeonjung said angrily.

“Don’t say sorry to us. Say sorry to your leaders.” Chungha spoke.

“If you want our forgiveness, fix this mess. You must do all you can to bring your leaders’ happiness back,” said Yeonjung.

The four realized that what they did was wrong. They nodded, thanked the couple and went to separate on their own ways. Yeonjung and Chungha wanted to check it out, but…

“Let’s trust them. They can handle like us,” said Yeonjung.

“You’re right. Want to grab some snacks?” Chungha asked, wrapping an arm around her girlfriend’s waist.

“Sure babe.”

++

Yoojung, Somi, Eunwoo, and Yebin followed Mina silently as they saw her go up the veranda. They continued to follow and watch her contemplate. The four of them were still nervous of talking to their Captain, fearing of her rants and scolds. But they deserved it. Yoojung stepped forward and spoke:

“Uhh…hey Cap.” Mina heard them and she turned around. “We just had another team meeting.”

“Oh, wonderful…” Mina said as she looked away.

“We had a team meeting about how we haven’t acted like a team. I mean us, not you,” said Yoojung. “Look, about Sohye and the Major Volleyball Team-“

“Just stop! I don’t want to talk about it.” Mina interrupted.

“We just want you to know that we’re going to be there, to cheer for you and to support you and Sohye.” Somi said.

“Huh?” Mina raised an eyebrow at them.

“If being with Sohye boosts you up and makes you happy, we should’ve boost you up to that decision, not tear you down,” said Eunwoo.

“Yeah. No matter what happens in that game, win or lose, we’re a team.” Yebin said.

“That’s our main fundamental in the team. And even if you will play and of course we know you’re good at playing…”

“And of course, with Sohye being good at it and you two being in one team-“

“You’re not going to see me play volleyball, guys. Because Sohye and I broke up and she won’t even talk to me…” Mina stood up and looked at them intently. “…which I guess is the reason why you came here to explain your little scheme…am I right or am I not?”

The four nodded. Yebin had a big lunchbox on her hand and gave it to Mina. “I got Shin to make this for you. She was obliged to do so. You’ve been skipping meals and we don’t want you to listen to us in an empty stomach. You need to eat, Cap.”

Mina opened the lunchbox, grabbed her chopsticks and ate. “Okay, explain yourselves…”

++

In the chemistry lab, Sohye was writing on the board, trying to balance a complex chemical equation. Doyeon, Haein, and Chaeyeon got inside as they also did their part to fix their President and bring her and Mina back together.

“Sohye?” Haein called and Sohye stopped to face them.

“We were jerks. No, we’re worse than jerks. We’re imbeciles. We thought Mina, your relationship and you guys participating for the Major Volleyball Team was killing our chances of winning the upcoming quiz bowl.” Doyeon explained.

“I heard you and what she had to say. I’m going back. I’m on my team again. Done.” Sohye said as she continued writing.

“No, not done!” Chaeyeon grabbed the chalk before Sohye continued. “We were part of a setup. We knew that Yoojung and Somi could get Mina to say things to make you want to forget of spending time with her and participating for the Major Volleyball Team.”

“We never thought she could say she would break up with you. We planned it. We’re ashamed of what we’ve done and you had the right to loathe us. We are really sorry, Sohye.” Haein finished.

Sohye puts the book down and faced the three. She felt hurt that her closest friends could do that to her. “You don’t know how painful it is to know that you’ve been stabbed in the back by your trusted friends…”

The three lowered their heads in shame. Doyeon, being the one who initiated the plan with Yoojung, cried silently.

“You even set it all up and forced Mina to say those words. You just let me hurt like that. How could you, guys??” Sohye cried. “But you know Mina also had her mistake. The thought of being forced to speak was your faults…but those words she spoke were all on her. In general, no one forced Mina to say anything. And you know what? It’s okay. I know Haein here is joining our singles quiz bowl and the rest of you are with me.”

“Sohye-“

“You want focus? Fine! Let’s prepare and win the quiz bowl. It’s time to move on.”

“Sohye, it’s not okay!” Doyeon yelled as she wiped her tears away. “The quiz bowl, your progresses, our progresses, they mean nothing. But how we feel for each other, and even more, how you feel for Mina- that’s what really matters.”

Sohye disregarded it and continued to study. Doyeon was still crying as Haein and Chaeyeon comforted her and each other.

“We tried…” Chaeyeon whispered and the three of them left Sohye.

Sohye heard it. At one point, they were right. They also deserved her forgiveness. Things just fell out of place and she was so pissed off she didn’t have the heart to forgive. And with Mina flooding her thoughts, it got worse.

But knowing her friends, she had to forgive them. But Mina? She wondered if she could forgive her and bring themselves back together…


Mina was enlightened. She forgave her friends and she got help from them in order to get Sohye back. Mina got her address from Yoojung, in which she got from Doyeon, and went to that house to finally settle things with her.

*KNOCK*

“Yes?” A familiar girl greeted her.

“You’re Kim Sohee from the Glee Club, right? I heard that Kim Sohye is your cousin. I’m Kang Mina.”

“Oh! You’re the MVP of our university. Nice to meet you.”  Sohee said and shook hands with her.

“Is Sohye around?” Mina asked.

Sohee looked back and saw Sohye mouth a no. “She is but she’s still busy studying for the upcoming quiz bowl so now’s not a good time.”

“I made a mistake, Sohee, and I would like Sohye to know that. Could you tell her I came by to see her?”

“I will, Mina. Good night.” Sohee said.

“Good night, thank you…” Mina bowed and left the household.

Mina walked away but she wasn’t stopping there. She will do all means so that she and Sohye can talk. She saw a little fence by their home and went inside. She got to the backyard and she moved slowly yet surely. She dialled Sohye on her phone, hoping she could find the window to her room and make a way to get inside to talk to her.

*in Sohye’s room*

Sohye was contemplating again when her phone rang. She saw the dialler and didn’t want to answer it…but somehow she pressed the answer button and made the call.

“Hello?”

“Sohye! Look all of what you saw and heard none of that was true.” Mina answered on the other line. “I was sick of the team riding me so I said some things to shut them up. I’m sorry for that, Sohye. I didn’t mean any of it.”

“You sure sound convincing to me,” said Sohye, turning her lamp on.

“The girl you met during the practice of the dance troupe is more than the girl who said random and ended up hurting the feelings of the love of her life.” Mina started.

“Us dating and joining the Major Volleyball Team was a whack. You said so yourself. It was risky and we might get our images wrecked because of not abiding the university’s principles.” Sohye said.

“Maybe because we’re from different departments and different aspects...but I believe we can change that. They would’ve been supporting us to unite everyone but they were stubborn. It’s not our problem. It’s theirs.”

“What about Yoojung and Somi?” Sohye asked.

“And it’s not about Yoojung or Somi, not even Doyeon and Chaeyeon. This is about how we both feel and how I feel for you. And we didn’t let our teams down…they let us down.” Mina spoke again. “I’m going to represent our department for the Major Volleyball Team. What about you?”

“I don’t know, Mina.” Sohye said, putting a hand on her forehead.

“Well, you need to say yes…because I brought something for you.” Mina said.

“What do you mean?” Sohye asked.

“Turn around…”

Sohye did just that and Mina was outside her balcony, sweating and leaves were stuck on her hair. Sohye opened the door and went outside the balcony.

“Sohye…” Mina held her hand. “I’m so sorry for saying all those things to you. I want us back again. I wanted to start anew. I don’t care about the principles or what our friends think because I feel so happy and right being with you.” She held Sohye’s face and cried in front of her.

“I miss you. I miss our times together. I try to find you but you might’ve been busy. I try to talk to you when we see each other but you were mad at me. I was lost without you, Sohye. I feel in my heart that you made me complete…and I know you felt the same….”

“Mina…” Sohye was hit by Mina’s words and watched Mina give a rose to her.

“Sohye…” Mina released her fingers and the ring went down the stem. “…will you be mine again?”

Sohye’s heavy heart went light again. She nodded and Mina felt exultant. She wore Sohye’s ring on her finger and they shared their hugs.

“I miss you too…” Sohye whispered.

“Thank you…and I love you.” Mina whispered back.

Sohye laughed a bit as she got rid of the leaves on Mina’s hair. Then, she held her face and they share their kiss. They broke and smiled at each other, holding hands and leaning their heads against each other as they watch the stars.

“So…are you representing the STEM department and come with me to the volleyball team?” Mina asked.

“I don’t see why not,” said Sohye.


Mina and Sohye were official. Chungha and Yeonjung were so happy to have their ship back and their friends finally accepted them. Eunwoo and Yebin were also of the same aspect as they went on with their lives smoothly.

Mina practiced with her team every day and they had their wonderful practices. Yoojung, Somi, and the rest of their team were happy to have their Captain back with her will in the game, even their Coach came back with her twin baby girls.

“They’re so cute, Coach!” Somi said, holding the older twin.

“I named them Miso and Hyena…” Coach We said and Mina knew the reason behind their names. “Congratulations on your relationship, Mina. Do treat your girlfriend well.”

All of them cooed. Mina chuckled and she was at ease of getting the acceptance she deserved.

*at the Star Section Room*

“Since you got four here…you got two for sodium chloride and carbon monoxide, balancing the equation.”

The class finally understood and applauded. Haein was cheering lightly as Doyeon and Chaeyeon gave her a thumbs-up.

It was the start of the Major Volleyball Team’s practices. Mina just got changed and was prepping herself to go. She was also in a haste, in which Sohye might be the one waiting.

“Woah, Cap! What’s the rush?” Yoojung asked, wiping her hair.

“The volleyball practices are starting today. I need to go.” Mina waved and went on.

“Good luck!” Somi said and they couldn’t hold their chuckles.

In the chemistry lab, Sohye was teaching Doyeon and Chaeyeon for their vial. “To get the acidic state, all you have to is put five grams of baking powder. Do that and the acidic state will resemble the pH papers over there…”

Sohye checked the time and bid goodbye to the two. She hanged her apron and went outside. She ran to the hallways and saw Mina waiting for her. She tackled her for a kiss and pulled her as they both ran towards the volleyball court.

*at the volleyball court*

Mina and Sohye held hands as Sira greeted the four representatives.

“So…we got Kim Sohye from the STEM Department, Kang Mina from the Sports Department, Kim Sejeong from the Arts Department, and Han Hyeri from the Technical Vocational Economics Department. And as the captain of the Volleyball Team, I will be playing with you four.”

Mina and Sohye nodded with Hyeri and Sejeong. The four changed on their PE uniforms and practiced. Sira and Mina might be related but Sira was a bit rough on her cousin. Mina, in return, did her best and played well. Sejeong and Hyeri were impressed, even her girlfriend.

*five hours later*

“Nice game, everyone.” Sira said. “Go and take your showers.”

Sira went ahead and the other four followed. Sejeong and Mina knew each other before and Mina didn’t expect her to join. Hyeri got to know Sejeong, Mina and Sohye and they got along pretty well.

“So…you two are in a relationship?” Hyeri asked on the other cubicle.

“Yeah, we are.” Mina and Sohye said.

“Cute, isn’t it?” Sejeong remarked.

“Hey, Sejeong? Do you still have a crush on Doyeon?” Mina asked.

“No…I already got Kim Nayoung as my girlfriend.” Sejeong said and the three cooed.

“Sohye, can I ask something? Do you know Kim Sohee?” Hyeri asked.

“Yeah. She’s my cousin.”

“OMG-tell her that her girlfriend is missing her!” Hyeri squealed.

“You’re the girl Sohee was talking about everyday?!” Sohye gasped as she rinsed her hair.

“Some small world we have…” Mina muttered and the three had their responses.

The four of them got out of the shower room, fresh, changed, and clean. Mina and Sohye went ahead, their hands held together. Sejeong and Hyeri could look in adoration in approval.

“The two of them could change the principles of the school and unite everyone once and for all,” said Sejeong.

“You’re right. That’s why we need to win this game for the school,” said Hyeri.

“Mina! Sohye!”

The four rushed outside to meet a pair. Yeonjung and Chungha got to them, panting hard.

“Yeonjung? Chungha?” Mina wondered.

“There’s a problem…” Yeonjung muttered.

Chungha and Yeonjung told the five to follow and they ran towards the main bulletin board. The rest of their team was there as they check the announcement.

“The day of the two games is the same as the day of the quiz bowl.” Yoojung said.

“Also with our Technical Vocational Economics competition, the dance competition and singing competition,” said Shin.

“What? Why didn’t I get this?” Sira asked.

“The administration has seen our hidden agenda. We wanted to unite everyone, remember? This petty revolution of ours has triggered the administration that they’re doing all means to isolate us.” Chungha shared.

“She’s right. Meaning, if we are isolated, we only get to support our fellow students from the same department,” said Yeonjung.

“I can’t believe they would actually do that!” Somi ranted.

“I smell a rotten system,” said Chaeyeon.

“Me too,” said Sejeong.

“It IS a rotten system.” Sohye spoke and everyone listened. “They think that they’re protecting the influence of students in the different departments based on the principles. But the reality is that they’re doing it for themselves. If our little revolution would be heard, there will be changes. The administration today focuses on the traditional way that in order to protect their jobs they will do all means so that no new changes are implemented.”

“That’s right. I got her point,” said Sira.

“That’s our genius,” said Doyeon.

“I get it! Oh, I swear I’m going to rip on of their heads off!” Yoojung, despite of being the shortest among them, went feisty.

“No. We’re not going to do anything hasty or forceful, except to do our obligations in our competitions. Now, this is going to happen if we all work together.” Mina said.

“Mina… what are you…”

“I got me an idea.” Mina said.

“Me too.” Sohye said.

“Who’s in?” Mina lends her palm downward.

“I’m always in.” Sohye said, making everyone coo.

“You know I’m in,” said Sira, placing her hand on top of theirs.

Doyeon held Yoojung’s hand and the two puts their hands on top too. Everyone did the same and was agreeing to it.

They went quiet in the beginning…and it’s about time they do something and let their voices be heard.


Friday came quickly. The hallways were packed with students as they went to their corresponding rooms and were excited for the contests and for the support they will give to the contingents. As they got inside, it was empty again…except that there’s one squad roaming around.

Mina, Yoojung, and Somi were at the Star Section room, seeing Sohye, Doyeon, and Chaeyeon. The other four covered the geniuses’ eyes as Yebin and Eunwoo got a cake from Shin and Chaekyung. The four uncovered their eyes and the geniuses loved the surprise: a pi pie.

“Yebin’s girlfriend made it.” Eunwoo said and Yebin chukckled.

“Thanks, guys. We also have a present for you,” said Haein.

The four geniuses went to another board and showed it to the players as a surprise.

“Wow…an equation.” Yoojung cheered.

The four smirked and flipped the board over, showing a mural art about their team. The five players chanted wildly and they made fun of each other by throwing each other basketball plushies. Once they were done, they moved towards the Arts Department. They dragged Chungha, Yeonjung, Sejeong, Nayoung, Stone Nayoung, Sohee, Heehyun,  Kyulkyung, Jeon Soyeon, Chanmi, and Yeseul outside as the repiresentatives of the Sports Department have a little surprise for them.

“From our department to yours,” said Mina.

Mina, Yoojung, Somi, Eunwoo, Yebin, Sira, and Seokyung formed the Korean phrase,’ Fighting, Arts Department’, using their shirts. The Arts Department cheered. The STEM also had their surprise for them, starting a unity.

It didn’t end there. The Technical Vocational Economics Department also whipped up a surprise for the three departments and got the best surprise because of Yebin and Sohee, for they got a special gift for Shin and Hyeri.

++

The unity of all the departments was settled. Now, it was time to get the approval from the administration and let their message be heard on their first phase of the plan through their competitions. The 35 members of the squad from different departments were on their separate ways, getting ready for their respective competitions. Mina and Sohye remained as their teammates gave them some space.

“Good luck on your quiz bowl.” Mina said. “How are you feeling?”

“Nervous.” Sohye fidgeted and Mina chuckled, finding her so cute. “I wish I could see you play.”

“It’s okay. Bear with this for a moment and if we got the approval, you’ll see my games everyday.” Mina said.

“Do me a favour,” said Sohye.

“And that is?” Mina asked as Sohye held her face.

“The championship?” Mina asked and Sohye chuckled.

“I’d like that but that varies. What I want from you is to have fun. Spend time with your teammates.” Sohye answered. “I know you’re pressured in which probably most of it came from the admin. I may not see you play today…but I can picture my girlfriend having the time of her life with her team and playing the sport she loves. Do me that favour…and I sleep with a smile on my face no matter what happens...”

“You too, Sohye. Thank you.” Mina spoke and kissed her.

The drum rolls were already heard. Mina and Sohye broke from their kiss and went on their separate ways.

++

Their main rival for all events was Seoul Women’s University. For the STEM Department, Sohye’s team were starting their competition.

“Welcome to the Quiz Bowl. For the singles, please proceed with me to AVR 1. For the groups, you will stay here. This is a battle between SWU and KWP.”

The proctor gave instructions and once she gave the signal, the two teams were head on.

In the two auditoriums, Chungha and Yeonjung were in their respective contestants. Judges from prestigious art schools and representatives from SWU were also there to compete. The head of their department gave her speech and once she did, the competition started. Chungha went first and danced her heart out together with her team.

At the big court, Mina and her team were getting ready for the big game. They were hyped up and were doing their shoots to warm themselves up. Once they were done, they were gathered up and commenced the game.

-KWP wins the opening tip, pushing the ball up the court…-

“Let’s do this, guys!!” Mina cheered and her team cheered with her.

At the Home Economics room, Hyeri and Shin were flexing their limbs as they had their HE Olmypics.

“You ready?” Shin asked her.

“Of course,” said Hyeri.

++

It was up to one question. Sohye was answering a complex question and did her best to be quick yet sure of answering. In less than a minute, she was finished, with the opposing team only finished with half of the equation.

*ding*

The proctor went closer to validate Sohye’s answer. The three anticipated but as the proctor pointed to them, they cheered. The spectators from KWP cheered to the extreme.

“For the group quiz bowl, the winner: KWP. For singles, the winner: KWP.”

Haein came inside and the three hugged her, congratulated her for a job well done. They sat down for their little break and Haein opens up her PC.

“Hmm…the game would be over soon.” Chaeyeon said.

“Alright, lunkhead basketball cutie…time to make an orderly exit from the gym.” Haein whispered.

Haein did her skills and encrypted a code for the transmission of the main circuit in the basketball court. The message was transmitted and they saw Doyeon pour a secret chemical inside the vial.

“Will it work?” Sohye asked.

“Of course it will.” Haein said.

The basketball game went on. Mina and Yoojung intercepted the center of the opposing team and Mina did her two-point shot.

-Kang Mina for two! And SWU pushes the ball around the perimeter on the offensive end. Nice ball movement from SWU. Driving the lane… Kang Mina retrieves, shot it up and it’s gooood!!-

Mina cheered with the team as they won their tournament!

-Congratulations, KWP…- The announcer stuttered as there was a technical difficulty.

The game was come to halt just in time. Yoojung gave a signal to Mina and Mina left the gym. She hastily changed onto her volleyball uniform and ran towards the court.

At AVR2, Haein closed her PC. The four representatives watch the chemical inside the vial boil. It emitted a foul smell that everyone was forced to leave the place. The main squad gathered and called all the spectators.

“Go…” Haein said.

Sohye ran, took off her coat and skirt as she was ready, wearing her volleyball uniform. The students wondered of the President as Doyeon spoke.

“She will represent our department for the Major Volleyball Team. Let’s support our President!”

They all cheered. Doyeon led the way as they followed her to the gym.

++

At the court, the head of the department said her instructions. They were asked to make an exit for the gym. Yoojung and the rest of the squad spread the news of Mina and Sira playing for the Major Volleyball Team and all students nodded, following the group towards the volleyball court.

At the auditorium, Chungha and Yeonjung shared their hugs. All of their representatives from the Arts Department won their respective competitions. After the celebration, Chungha and Yeonjung texted everyone they know to support Sejeong for the MJT. Sejeong ran and changed on the way.

“Come on guys. Let’s go and support Sejeong!!” Chungha and Yeonjung cheered and they all ran towards the court.

++

At the court, Sira and Hyeri were pressured. The administration was there to watch them. Players from SWU were already there as they wait for the other players of KWP to arrive.

“We’ve waited long enough,” said one of them.

“Not yet, ma’am! They’ll be here.” Sira defended.

Hyeri watched the TVE Department cheer and chant, telling the admin to wait for the other players.

“The admin, I have pointed out, waits for no one. I’m sorry.”

Sira and Hyeri huffed. Hyeri was losing it as Sira held her shoulder. “Not yet! Give us ten more seconds!”

“Alright… ten seconds it is,” said the head.

Ten seconds passed quickly. The head made the announcement when the doors busted open.

“Wait! Wait!!” Mina emerged on the left side together with the Sports Department.

“We’re ready! We’re ready to play!!” Sohye was on the right, the STEM Deparment on her back, cheering.

“I called your team twice already!” The head spoke.

“Ma’am! Please not yet!!” Sejeong emerged from the entrance with the Arts Department on her back.

“Rules are rules!” The head said.

“Consider the event, ma’am. All students came here to spectate. They want to be heard. If this goes on, there will be a change in the system,” said another.

“That’s what we’re avoiding, remember?! Do you want to lose your job?!” She whispered harshly.

“Their motive is just. Can’t we just let them get what they want?” A new representative spoke.

“Like I said before, it’s too late! The SWU wins by default! Didn’t you see your Captain’s ankle?”

Mina, Sohye, Sejeong, and Hyeri saw Sira with a cast covered by her shoes. “Injured athletes are prohibited to play! You’re down of one member! You can’t get new members from the volleyball because only the Captain can play.”

They gulped. Sira was the captain and was injured.

“Wait a minute!” Sohye spoke.

The girl went closer to Sira and checked her ankle. Sira didn’t reach as Sohye pinched a vital vein. “The captain’s ankle has been healed!”

“Prove it, Kim Sohye!” The head said.

“Let my friend, the most professional doctor of South Korea, examine that.” The new representative spat back.

The doctor went to check Sira’s ankle and made the conclusion. Sohye gulped, hoping her hunch was correct. The doctor stood up and spoke:

“The girl was right. It seems Kang Sira’s ankle has been healed. She can play!”

Everyone cheered. Sira was relieved. She got rid of her bandage and the admin gave them permission to play. SWU and KWP were on their positions. Mina was to make the first serve when she saw Sohye shaking.

“Sohye?”

“I can’t play, Mina. I’m going to at this…” Sohye said nervously.

“Look at me…” Mina said and Sohye did. “You’re going to be fine. I trained you and I know you’re going to do great.”

Sohye trusted Mina and nodded. Mina did the first serve and the game went on smoothly, the teams getting their scores alternatively. 

The interval of their game created a big impact on everyone. In the game, players from different departments played for the university. The new administration was also impacted with their players, the message of allegiance, unanimity, and the desire for a better interaction with everyone.

Hyeri did a good block despite of her height. Sejeong did a good set and Sira did a spike. The opposing team was blocking it. It was about to get in when Sohye dove to get the ball and Mina delivered a hard spike.

-23-24.-

Sohye did her serve and the game went on. The crowd was cheering non-stop as they anticipate of the game. Sohye dove for the ball again and Mina delivers her spike. The opponent blocked it and Sohye was about to dive again when she missed. Not only that, her knees were scraped.

“Sohye!” Mina went to help her out.

“Timeout!!”

Sira, Sejeong and Hyeri were getting exhausted. Mina was carrying Sohye on her back as she puts her down and checked her knees, all scraped and her left knee bloody. Mina grabbed a hanky from her pocket, wrapped it around Sohye’s knee, and placed one of her paddings around it.

“Mina…your other knee-“

“It’s okay. I’m not letting my girlfriend get hurt in a game again.” Mina said and the three cooed.

“Alright!! The scores are tied. We need to win this. It’s all or nothing! Hands in!” Sira spoke and all of them laid their hands on top of Sira’s.

They went back to the game again. Sejeong was at the back, doing the last serve.

-And SWU does a good spike. Kang Mina blocks it! What a fast move for KWP!! Kim Sejeong does her set and Kim Sohye’s quick to look for a good opening. Kang Sira delivers another spike and SWU blocks it-oh! The shot was blocked by Kim Sejeong! KWP head back to their game, having the ball and a spike goes blocked by Kang Sira! The game is getting intense, people!! SWU does another spike-and blocked by Kim Sohye! SWU delivers a surprise shot and Kang Mina dives, saving the ball!! Kim Sohye does her spike and it’s goooood!!!! A flawless spike as time expires for the victory! KWP has won their first Major Volleyball Championship!!-

Mina caught Sohye and they both got up, greeted by tackle hugs from Sejeong, Sira, and Hyeri. Everyone in KWP cheered to the extreme, even the administration.

“Sohye!! Mina!!” Chungha and Yeonjung hugged their ship.

“We won our competition!!” Chungha and Yeonjung.

“We won the quiz bowl.” Sohye said.

“And I won the tournament in time.” Mina said.

Sohye pulled her and kissed her. Chungha and Yeonjung wowed yet they also shared their kiss.

“OMG!” Yoojung, together with the rest of the squad, saw the couples.

Mina and Sohye hugged each other. Chungha and Yeonjung congratulated Sejeong for her game as Mina got attacked by Yoojung and Somi with their power hugs.

“The ball’s on you, Captain!” Yoojung said and Mina thanked her. “So…” She pulled Doyeon and they talked face to face. “…is it a yes?”

“Well…” Doyeon said, hiding her blush.

“We won, Doyeon. Accept-“ Yoojung was stopped as Doyeon kissed her, the squad of 33 chanting at them.

“Where’s Chaeyeon? Here. You hold the ball, plan maker.” Mina said.

They were all thankful for Chaeyeon. She was the one who initiated the timings of their plans, leading to a successful attempt in winning their competitions and the approval of the new system. Chaeyeon nodded shyly and held the ball like a little kid.

“Hey…” Somi went closer to her.

“…look up and be confident. You’re really pretty. Now…do a serve the ball like this!” Somi was behind her and Chaeyeon did a wonderful serve.


Mina, Sohye, Chungha, Yeonjung, Doyeon, Yoojung, Somi, and Chaeyeon were having a hangout with the rest of their 35-member squad. Being the closest in the squad, they went to the open field first, followed by their squad, with each member with a lantern on their hands.

But for the main couples, they shared one lantern and looked up the sky before they could fly their lanterns. The others went down and were having the time of their lives. Mina and Sohye stayed as Sohye leaned onto Mina.

“Cheers for a new phase of school life.” Sohye said.

“Nah…I’d say…cheers for new phase of our lives with our friends and us…together.” Mina said.

Sohye and Mina flew their lantern up, joining the rest of the lanterns. They looked at each other and shared their kiss. Fireworks lit up the sky and the couple broke their kiss and got a good look. They looked down and saw the rest of their friends having fun, all with the others shared kisses with their other halves.

Mina and Sohye shared another kiss when they felt something spraying. Sohye and Mina gasped as the sprinklers sprayed throughout the field.

“Yah, Jung Eunwoo!!” Yebin hissed, protecting Shin from getting wet.

“Yah!” Yoojung protected Doyeon despite of their heights.

The others ran back to their home stay yet some of them stayed. Somi got an umbrella and protected Chaeyeon, Siyeon reprimanded her girlfriend for pushing the wrong button, Sejeong and Nayoung ran around like little kids as Kyulkyung and her Nayoung shielded themselves from the sprinklers.

For Mina and Sohye they shared another kiss. They broke and hugged each other while watching their friends down by the fields, finally running around. Mina and Sohye were relieved. The system was changed in a good way. Opposites can interact and everyone united, feeling the true essence of a university.

“Want to play tag?” Mina asked.

“Sure!” Sohye said and ran.

Mina laughed. She could only laugh and ran to catch up to Sohye, welcoming a future with her, together with the unity of opposites.

***

That was the twelfth one-shot, everyone. ^^ Mind me if it's lengthy again.

@step1step2: Request granted...

@Yongkyongyeba: Yours will be next and yes, it will have a bit of angst to it.

Who's excited for the comeback? *raises hand*

Anyways, continue to comment your requests. 

Love lots from asahdako