Can't Help Falling in Love

IOI Shikshins One-Shot Collection

Mina always had some questions in love. She wonders why people risk themselves for someone, why people give themselves to someone, and why people intend to care for someone. For her, love was one thing that made her mind fill with curiosity. One example now was her time with Nayoung and Kyulkyung.

She cringed of her very presence as the couple were slobbering themselves through their make-out. She hasn’t reached eighteen yet so she shouldn’t be watching these things but her eyes couldn’t avert, her body couldn’t move, and her face flushed a bright red, her face almost like a big tomato.

“Yah!” Nayoung pushed herself. “You didn’t tell me Mina is here!!”

“So what?” Kyulkyung pulled and kissed Nayoung’s neck. “She’s been curious of love so I’m showing her!”

“Not this side of us!! The other one!” Nayoung yelped.

Kyulkyung and Nayoung stopped and faced the flustered cutie. Nayoung could kick Kyulkyung’s for messing Mina’s now-corrupted mind but she couldn’t. She loved her.

“Mind your Daddy for that.” Nayoung said, patting Mina’s head.

“It’s fine, unnie. I would reckon you two were like the y couple.” Mina said.

“No. Sometimes we’re like the bipolar couple. Kyulkyung and I are complete opposites.” Nayoung said.

“True.” Kyulkyung nodded. “But we love each other.”

“Why?” Mina asked.

“Because it’s the very thing about love, Mina.” Nayoung said. “You care for a person without hesitation and it comes in many forms. In our case with Kyulkyung, ours is more of bipolarity and intense feelings.”

“As you see, we make out. In general, ours is more of the physical contact. It gives us assurance towards each other.” Kyulkyung added.

“So can I do that for someone I love too?” Mina asked.

“Hell no for you, my child!” Nayoung batted. “It’s a bridge you’ll cross when you get there, but not now, okay?”

Mina nodded. She gulped as she saw someone coming from the corridors. She was from Section F, the girl who had a conspiracy theory that humans came from penguins.

“Sohye!” Kyulkyung waved.

“Hello, penguin child.” Nayoung spoke.

“Hello, ostrich and sloth.” Sohye batted and the couple messed with the penguin girl.

Seeing the three, Mina laughed lightly. But as her gaze focused on the penguin girl, her soul cringed. She excused herself and left them. Nayoung and Kyulkyung wondered of Mina’s sudden leave.

“What was that?” Kyulkyung asked.

Sohye was quiet and Nayoung thought that maybe Sohye knew why Mina just left. She asked about and she only got a shake of the head from Sohye. Sohye decided to leave too, catching of a glimpse of the couple making out again, making her cringe. She went towards a place and sighed in relief as she saw the person she was looking for.

“Yah.” She batted. “What are you doing here?”

“What’s wrong of me here, Mina?” Sohye asked back. “I know the place as much as you do.”

Mina didn’t bat again as she and Sohye had their distance, all while watching by the veranda, seeing the green fields where students roamed free. Sohye loved the spot because of the air. Another was a time that has been in memory lane for so long, her time with a special someone…

“ this…” Mina mumbled. “I’m out.”

Mina left Sohye there. For Sohye, she could only look at the sky, feeling the tears from her eyes. Maybe they were right about thing…

Maybe you do only fall once…

+++

Mina got to eat lunch, sitting by a table with Chaeyeon and Somi. Mina and food was almost a pair made in heaven as Mina eats heartily. Somi was eating her usual favourite of a sloppy Joe but Chaeyeon cringed of her sense of taste. She got some veggies in Somi’s plate and the maknae whined.

“Ew, unnie. No veggies, please…” Somi puts the vegetable leaf back on Chaeyeon’s plate.

“And I don’t want greasy vegetables!” Chaeyeon batted. “You’re eating it, Somi. Your Mommy Chaeyeon said so.

Somi hissed and ate the leaf; cringing then taking a big bite of her burger to wash away the aftertaste.

“Don’t cringe of veggies, Somi. It’s delicious.” Chaeyeon said.

“But it’s gross…” Somi mumbled.

“Here.” Chaeyeon got some carrots and poked Somi’s mouth. “Eat.”

“No.” Somi shook her head.

“Don’t eat or you won’t take me out later.” Chaeyeon said.

Somi didn’t react and ate the piece of carrot. Chaeyeon scoots some extra vegetables she bought for Somi and the maknae suddenly ate them. Mina saw Somi eat and chuckled.

“What changed your mind, Somi?” Mina asked.

“The condition...” Somi said as she ate everything. “…if I don’t eat vegetables, I won’t get to take Chaeyeon out later.” Somi added. “The things that I do for love…”

I could chuckle of the couple in front of me.

Somi and Chaeyeon were both pretty but they had a gap of four years. Chaeyeon was older and more motherly yet Somi was like the Alpha of the two because she would protect Chaeyeon from anything that could cause her trouble. When Mina looked at the two, she would’ve thought these two were like a mother and a daughter, although Somi considered that idea. But Chaeyeon said that it was just their form of love towards each other. It was cute, really.

If only I can experience that again… Mina thought.

“Sohye.” Chaeyeon called. “Join us.”

Mina would’ve left but Sohye already got to sit next to her. They greeted lightly and ate peacefully and wholeheartedly.

“Wow, you two sure have deep pits for stomachs.” Somi said.

“Aigoo, watch the words, Somi,” said Chaeyeon. “No wonder you two are a Shikshin couple.”

Somi nudged Chaeyeon and Chaeyeon didn’t mean to say that. Sohye and Mina could only look at each other and gulped their food, losing their appetites. Somi sighed and decided to bid goodbye to Mina and Sohye while pulling Chaeyeon up. Mina sighed, getting her tray when Sohye said something.

“Aren’t you going to finish your food?”

“I’m not hungry anymore, Sohye,” said Mina.

“But you usually eat everything, Mina. It’s disrespectful if you don’t empty your plate. Think of the starving people out there.” Sohye said.

Mina chuckled in her thoughts of Sohye’s philanthropic address when it comes to food. Mina didn’t say anything but sat face to face with Sohye.

“Alright. I’ll resume eating.” Mina said. “And you better empty your plate too.”

Sohye nodded and she and Mina ate together. Mina would’ve cringed of this but somehow, her weary heart found its beat again, just like how Sohye was feeling in this time.

For Mina, maybe she was wrong that people fall in love only once…

+++

“Sohye~” Yoojung waved at the penguin girl.

Doyeon nudged Mina and Mina shooed her off. Sohye chuckled and sat next to Mina. Mina couldn’t get another seat because Doyeon and Yoojung already filled in the seats. Plus, all seats were filled up.

They were in a school field trip, riding on a plane to Sentosa. The trip was a bit loud due to Doyeon and Yoojung laughing while watching Peppa Pig. Mina and Sohye wondered of the two and the ing cartoon. For Mina, she knew much of the two.

Doyeon and Yoojung were childhood friends. Technically, the four of them, including Yeonjung, were childhood friends. Born on the year 1999, they shared their moments until they grew up. Yeonjung had to go so soon due to an accident so they were only left with each other. Doyeon and Yoojung developed and their love was more childish yet the purest and the most adorable of them all. For Mina and Sohye, well…they were always friends…

“Mina?” Sohye nudged the girl.

“What?” Mina asked, adding a little yawn.

“You can lean on me. You’re tired.” Sohye smiled.

Mina blushed lightly. “No, Sohye. It’s okay. I can lean on Yoojung here.”

“But her shoulder’s too short. Plus, she has Doyeon.” Sohye said back.

Doyeon and Yoojung were already asleep, with Yoojung leaning on Doyeon. If Mina would lean on Yoojung’s shoulder, she’d hurt her neck and get an angry point from Doyeon. Mina was still blushing, all while she lowered her head when she felt her head being placed on a shoulder.

“There.” Sohye said as she pats Mina’s cute cheek. “Now you can sleep properly.”

Somehow, Mina felt at ease. For her, Sohye’s shoulder felt so nice. She felt tired, stifling a yawn as she slept.

For Sohye, seeing Mina sleep made her smile in adoration. Sohye gulped, reaching for the girl’s cheek but she retracted and just let the rest of the trip pass by.

It couldn’t happen all over again, right?

+++

Mina was with Sejeong as she cusses, throwing the bouquet of flowers in a nearby trash bin. Mina wondered of her actions as she asked her unnie.

“Well, Chungha had to be the indecent and go mad at me.” Sejeong hissed. “She got mad because I flirted with Hana. I was just messing around.”

“Aish, you and your Ahjusshi side…” Mina huffed. “You should stop that, unnie. What would Chungha feel? I thought you love her.”

“Heh…look who’s taking, Mina.” Sejeong said.

Mina froze. Sejeong smirked but she pats the back of the shikshin. “You thought I didn’t know?”

Mina remembered it all. It was the reason she left Sohye on the veranda, she cringed of eating with Sohye, and she didn’t want herself to lean on Sohye’s shoulder during the trip.

The truth was obvious. Mina and Sohye as a couple was a thing before.

Mina and Sohye shared love like the rest of her friends who were now couples. Mina and Sohye were the cute couple, initiating their relationship because of food. They had dates on restaurants and enjoyed munching each other’s snack, plus each other, learning from Nayoung and Kyulkyung’s antics. Another thing was that they cared for each other. Sohye was the gentle one, making sure Mina didn’t fast and assured of Mina’s well-being through homemade lunches they share, almost like Chaeyeon and Somi. Third, they had hidden admiration towards each other since they were kids, just like Doyeon and Yoojung.

But what happened? How did it fell into place?

It was almost like Sejeong and Chungha’s current predicament. And it happened years ago.

Just as Sohye was surprising Mina with a gift for their anniversary, she saw Mina with Hyeyeon, a classmate. What made her heart break was that Mina and Hyeyeon kissed. Mina noticed Sohye, catching up to her to explain but Sohye didn’t listen and they broke up. In Mina’s case, she knew it was her mistake. She was just as flirty and idiotic as Sejeong was.

“You were just like me, Mina.” Sejeong said. “It’s the reason why you and Sohye are not a thing anymore.”

“Whatever.” Mina hissed. “But please get along with Chungha-unnie.”

“Why would I?” Sejeong hissed back. “She didn’t listen to me. What she saw with me and Hana was a mistake.”

“A mistake that YOU did…” Mina batted. “You knew that you had a girlfriend so why flirt, Sejeong-unnie?”

Sejeong knew that Mina had a point. She decided not to be full of pride anymore and nodded. “Come on. Help me with this.”

Mina and Sejeong went to look for Chungha. They took almost an hour. With the large campus, looking for a hamster-like girl was going to be hard. But then, when they got to the veranda, there was a crying Chungha and Sohye was comforting her.

“Sohye.” Mina gasped, seeing her.

“Mina.” Sohye reacted too.

“And what is she doing here?!” Chungha batted, pointing at Sejeong.

“Babe…I can explain.” Sejeong said, hugging Chungha from the back.

Chungha and Sejeong had their talk. Mina saw Sohye leaving already and then her words rooted onto her whole system.

If Sejeong is doing it, she should too. So, she ran to catch up to Sohye.

“Sohye, wait!”

The penguin girl stopped but she didn’t face Mina. Mina went to her, inching closer as she hugged Sohye from the back. “Sohye-ya…”

“If this is about what happened years ago. It’s over. Besides, I’ve forgiven you for that.” Sohye said, forcing herself to let go.

Mina didn’t want to let go. She did it before but some force in the universe was pulling her back to Sohye. And if she had the chance to be with Sohye again, she’s not letting her go this time.

Mina held her arm and faced her. “Sohye-ya…”

“You have Hyeyeon, right? Don’t play with me this time, Mina.” Sohye batted.

Mina hugged Sohye tight. She was crying now, not wanting to let go again. “But I don’t love her…” Mina’s tears dropped on Sohye’s shouders. “I love you…”

“Then why did you kiss her?” Sohye pulled herself away, facing Mina. “Why did you do that mistake, huh?”

“I didn’t mean to, Sohye-ya.” Mina kneeled in front of her, holding her hand. “I’m so sorry…”

Sohye knew of Mina’s sincerity. She knows that Mina didn’t mean to. That’s why she forgave her and moved on. “I know you are. But we can’t be together again, Mina…”

“W-Why??” Mina asked while crying. “I love you…and I know you still love me…”

Sohye felt Mina’s hug again. She cried a bit too. “I know…” Sohye added. “…but I can’t come back to you again because of what you said to me when we broke up.”

You only fall in love once…

Mina gulped as Sohye pushed herself away and left Mina this time. Mina could only cry and blame herself in this love. No wonder she had been curious of her friends and their forms of love just to get Sohye back.

But that phrase rooted on her. Maybe it was true. She fell in love with Sohye once…but she messed up and she can’t fall in love with Sohye again.

+++

Nayoung, Somi, Sejeong, and Doyeon were by the veranda as they went to Mina’s side. With everything that has happened, Mina had been so down. Sejeong and Somi knew why that they patted her back.

“Mina, I’m so sorry…” Sejeong said.

“Mina, why don’t we help you?” Somi asked.

“I can’t and I don’t want to…I had to say to Sohye. Now she won’t come back to me.” Mina mumbled. “I would do everything but I’m also the reason why Sohye has no assurance of me anymore.”

“You fall in love once, huh?” Nayoung guessed. “Who would’ve thought you’d say that to Sohye?” Nayoung batted and Mina groaned in pure agony.

“It was a mistake. You need to prove it to her more.” Doyeon said.

“I tried already. I had to kneel in front of her.” Mina batted.

“Just like me with Chungha before…” Sejeong sighed. “But seriously, Mina…it’s not enough. And don’t get enough because if you did love Sohye, you wouldn’t stop proving to her that you love her.”

“It’s confusing, though.” Doyeon wondered then her urge came and she clenched Mina’s collar. “Why did you have to kiss Cho Hyeyeon, you idiot?!!”

“I don’t know either!! But we didn’t love each other anyway! She had to die in an accident and that was the end of it! I love Sohye so much, I swear on my grave!!” Mina yelped then tears up. “I want her back…”

“Go.” Somi spoke. “…or else it’ll be too late.”

A call disrupted them all and they kept quiet. Nayoung was answering her phone. Naturally, Nayoung maintained a stoic face but when she gasped, everyone felt something was wrong.

“What is it?” Sejeong asked her.

Nayoung faced Mina. Mina wondered. Nayoung spoke. “It’s Sohye. She’s in the hospital. She got into an accident.”

“Where?!!” Mina clenched Nayoung’s collar despite of Nayoung’s tall height.

Nayoung could only let the team follow. Mina went ahead as her fear grew.

She can’t lose Sohye.

+++

Kyulkyung, Chungha, Chaeyeon, and Yoojung were crying by the glass as Sohye was inside, bloody and fighting for her life. Their girlfriends and Mina came in as they hug each other. Mina was storming inside as Sejeong and Nayoung stopped her. Mina screamed and cried as the beeps went faster.

“Sohye-ya!! No!!” Mina wept. “You can’t die! Sohye-ya…” Mina sniffled. “…Sohye-ya, don’t leave me-“

Mina wasn’t able to speak as Nayoung and Sejeong pull her out the room. Mina was forced to sit and stay put and she could only put her hands on her face and weep. Doyeon and Yoojung went to comfort her as Chaeyeon went to Mina and held her hands.

“Mina.” She called. “Sohye’s okay.”

Mina got up as the doctors exited. Mina could only bow then head towards Sohye’s side, seeing a mask on her face and a bandage by her head.

“How did this happen?” Mina asked.

“People said she crossed the street too late and a car hit her.” Chaeyeon said. “The doctor said she has no fatal injuries but since Sohye is still young, her recovery isn’t guaranteed.”

Mina didn’t say anything more as she held Sohye’s hand and pressed her lips onto it, her tears flowing out silently yet endlessly. Nayoung and the rest gave them their privacy. Mina looked at Sohye again and her heart broke even more.

“Sohye-ya…please live…” Mina huffed. “It’s my fault. I’m so sorry for everything between us…” Mina went to pat Sohye’s head. “I didn’t mean all of it. I was wrong…” Mina sniffled. “…I can’t fall in love with you once. When I look at you…” Mina pecked Sohye’s forehead. “…I fall in love all over again…”

Mina wept all over again and held Sohye’s hand tight. She was by her side that time, hoping, praying, that somehow Sohye will be okay.

+++

Sohye woke up lightly. She saw her friends by the couches, sleeping. But what made her heart light was Mina. She was asleep, her own hand being held by her tight. She noticed Mina’s tears as she remembered something.

I can’t fall in love with you once. When I look at you, I fall in love all over again.

Sohye heard Mina say that. She gazed at the sleeping girl as she thought of their relationship before. She had the urge. She wanted it back. She wanted Mina back too.

Mina-ya… Sohye thought. I’m sorry for not being open to you, knowing you really wanted to bring us back together. Sohye sighed silently. I want you to know that I love you too, that I want you back to me. I want to be with you again…

Sohye sheds a tear, her body weakening from her state. She looks at Mina again, feeling her hands. Sohye’s tears fell down, just like her droopy eyes.

I can’t fall in love once…but when I look at you, I fall in love all over again too.

+++

“Ah, this is delicious~” Mina said as she ate noodles.

She and Sohye were in the canteen, being the shikshin couple once again. Sohye enjoyed eating with Mina as she watched footage of starving people, even a little intermission on starving penguins.

“You need to stop watching those.” Mina said to Sohye. “They’re fine. The economy’s in a good state. They’ll get the help that they need.” Mina got some sundae and aimed it at Sohye’s mouth. “Eat.”

Sohye receives it and loved it. Mina giggled of the sight. They ate again when Mina felt a slap on her head. She turned around and there was their squad.

“What?” Mina asked as she munched.

“What happened to the deep pits?” Somi slapped her own stomach. “Eat quickly. We need to go.”

Mina and Sohye ate everything quickly and caught up to the squad. Mina and Sohye watched them walking in pairs. Mina stopped and lent Sohye a hand. “Shall we?”

Sohye smiled. She held Mina’s hand and pulled her for a kiss. Mina smiled and kissed back, hearing the others coo at them. They broke and hugged each other like cute plushies.

“Come on, you two.” Nayoung motioned them to come closer as Kyulkyung pecked her Stone Buddha’s cheek.

Mina and Sohye nodded, holding each other’s hands and they followed.

Mina and Sohye fell in love once. But when they look at each other, they can’t help but fall in love all over again...


Hey, everyone. It's asahdako, coming back into this collection with its 17th one-shot. With this, the one-shot collection shall continue. So for that, requests are acceptable. Keep them coming and doses of one-shots will rain upon this collection.

@10kmWeeWoo: Here's your request, my friend. I hope you like it.