The Beautiful Book of Life

IOI Shikshins One-Shot Collection

Disclaimer: I do not own the songs. All of them are from I.O.I and Wanna One and their respective organizations and entertainment labels. All actions here are fiction and are not based on the artist’s real characteristics. 

The story was also based on the animated film Coco. By the time you finish reading this, you can ask me of the confusions on the story chat, a new update for AFF.

Enjoy the LOOOOONG story, everyone.

===

This foolishly regret-filled song
I hope it reaches the sky
My prayer that spent all night in tears
I hope it reaches your heart

I applauded as Wanna One finished their song at a local bar. For us, IOI as the locals would call us, we applauded and cheered them on. They thanked the spectators, local drinkers who have considered themselves as the residents of such a humble paradise.

Wanna One reunited with us. We were singers like them, coming from a survival show and debuted, disbanded, and sang at this local bar everyday, still embracing a dream of unity.

“We should go,” said Sungwoon-oppa.

“Yeah. Our loved ones are waiting.” Nayoung-unnie added.

+++

All of us got to special building. We lined up as Somi and Jinyoung got flowers and put them on each stone.

We were in a cemetery. And beyond those stone graves were our loved ones, our brothers and sisters, our association as a whole.

We were eleven each…and six of each group had to depart so soon.

It was a story of pure tragedy. We were all ambassadors of music. Our association lived through music and through each other. We all had a dream to sing for ourselves and for the world and a world tour featuring our groups would make that possible.

It was a success. But something happened as we went home…and twelve of us never returned.

I got closer to a particular grave and put a shark-themed cupcake by the stone since she loved it so much…as much as she loved me, and as much as I love her.

“You miss Sohye, hm?” Minhyun-oppa spoke.

“Ne, Oppa…” I spoke as I teared up. “I miss her so much…”

Sohye was one of the IOI members who never returned with Sejeong-unnie, Chaeyeon-unnie, Kyulkyung-unnie, Doyeon and Yeunjung. For Wanna One, it was Jaehwan-oppa, Daehwi, Woojin, Guanlin, Jisung-oppa, and Seungwoo-oppa.

“We miss everyone...” Somi sniffled. “…you know…sometimes I wanted to give up on this career.”

“Me too…” Yoojung cried the most. “…because I can’t sing nor dance without us complete…especially without Doyeon.”

All of us were. Hidden onto those stages were pessimism. Performing for our fans mostly hurt our hearts. Dancing and doing aegyo for fans hurt me a lot. I couldn’t bear it without everyone, especially without Sohye.

“We might have to discuss it soon.” Sungwoon-oppa said. “But not here.”

We all nodded and gathered by the twelve stones and sang Downpour. In my case, I sang lightly and grabbed Sohye's frame and hugged it close to my heart.

It was just too different. I never want to live a life without her.

+++

After the visit, it was a quiet journey back home, with Daniel-oppa driving. The weather had to go through our timing of sadness as the rain poured heavily.

“Slow down, Daniel. The road's slippery.” Sungwoon-oppa reminded him.

Daniel-oppa nodded and took the driving to a minimum. It went quiet again. Most of us were asleep as the others sat quietly. For me, I could watch the rain by the window…even an incoming light from a vehicle.

But then, my vision went white. I even saw a glimpse of Sohye smiling at me and holding my hand, telling me to come with her. I cried and became subservient to it when she disappeared and I was back to reality.

The car was on fire, bits of its parts scattered around the road as much as the rest of the members. I huffed and grew frantic, seeing the others motionless. I even winced due to the pain by my head and my vision had gone blurry. I wondered what really happened when I felt something from me being taken away.

Mina-ya…don’t forget me…

“S-Sohye-ya…” I sniffled.

I saw two pairs of feet wearing sandals and my world went dark.


“Mina, watch the cases of Coke!”

I bowed my apology as I decided to carefully pick up the bottles of Coke and putting them back in the carton. I sighed and carried the box towards the stock room. I got out and went to my duty as a cashier, entertaining customers here and there.

“One Coke.” A man spoke with a grand voice.

“And Pepsi for me.” Another voice was heard.

“Minhyun-oppa~ Jihoon~” I greeted them with a salute.

Minhyun-oppa was wearing a police uniform and Jihoon was still wearing his sports attire and boxing gloves. Minhyun-oppa passed his exams recently and became one and Jihoon was the ace boxer of a training studio. Both paid for their drink and I settled the transaction.

“Is your shift over?” Jihoon asked.

“An hour to go, Jihoon-ah.” I answered.

“We’ll wait for a bit. The others are waiting since it’s almost Chuseok.” Minhyun-oppa said. “We’ll be visiting some people later.”

I nodded as they went out to wait by Minhyun-oppa's car. I huffed and continued my shift.

+++

Minhyun-oppa, Jihoon and I were at the car as he drove us to the meeting place. The ride was too quiet that I wanted to play some music when Minhyun-oppa had a grim look.

“No music, Mina.” He said sternly.

Jihoon was whistling when he stopped as Minhyun-oppa was looking. “Sorry, hyung.”

I gulped and had to obey, remembering this sacred rule that we have on our group of friends:

The Arts are banned.

Nonetheless, we got there. It was a clean warehouse, almost having the ambiance of a nice home and the others were there, waiting, already in their Chuseok attires.

“Mina, Minhyun, Jihoon.” Sungwoon-oppa greeted. “Good that you’re here. Come on. On with your Chuseok attires.”

+++

We were at the cemetery and prayed back at the mausoleum with the frames of our loved ones. I could cry and chuckle at the same time.

There was Kyulkyung-unnie with her smile, Jaehwan-oppa with his psychotic laughing gesture, Jisung-oppa with his derp face, and Daehwi and Woojin looking adorable. There was also Chaeyeon-unnie in the group picture which had all of us in it when we were young but I wonder. Why aren’t there any complete faces on the group picture?

“Unnie.” I asked Nayoung-unnie. “Who are the rest of these people?”

Nayoung-unnie sighed. “Our friends before…but not anymore.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Unnie said they’re totally inclined to the arts and it’s a bad omen.” Yoojung said. “One of them collaborated with a y musician and created a mash-up of misunderstanding for all of us. Remember Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa’s incident?”

I gulped of what happened to Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa. They were asked to dance for a crowd when a big lantern landed on them and cost them sets of broken limbs and their lives. Daniel-oppa was in comatose while Chungha-unnie was differently able in a critical state. But with Chungha-unnie, I kept my secret.

I wanted to become an idol. And yes. I would act, sing, and dance to her.

“I remember.” I mumbled.

“Whatever happens, never incline yourself towards the arts.” Sungwoon-oppa said.

We all nodded. We stayed by their graves again. I was looking at the pictures one by one and my eyes stopped at one picture, the one with the incomplete heads. I focused on one figure on the right, wearing some onesie. I got my hand closer to the picture and…

“Mina.”

I stopped as I was called by Nayoung-unnie. I decided to follow and visit next time.

+++

After a shift at the restaurant, I would go back to the warehouse but not inside. I would go towards my hiding spot, a secret sanctuary of the Arts. I would try to sing, dance, rap, and play the drums. It was a place of my peace. It was in an attic and it was filled with posters of a singer who was at fault for my interests.

Heo Chanmi

Heo Chanmi was one of the greatest idols of all time. She was part of CFs, she had concerts, made appearances in musicals, and she even wrote the best songs. Beautiful was the best one.

She started as a member of 5Dolls and became a trainee again because of such issues. She joined a survival show and came 26th out of 101 contestants. But the final draw was that she had a major collaboration then gone solo. She made a wonderful concert in 2017 until she died because she fell from a 10 foot pedestal.

I wanted to be like her and follow the Arts. I tried banging pans in a beat at home yet Minhyun-oppa threw them away. Vehicles passed by and played Heo Chanmi’s Never and Sungwoon-oppa closed the windows. Locals danced by our gate and Stone Nayoung-unnie scared them off.

Despite of such warnings, I still followed. I’m not supposed to anymore. But thanks to a shark and penguin mobile by my shrine of Heo Chanmi, I kept going.

“I would’ve dreamed to become an idol like her… if it wasn’t for my family.” I batted as I mopped.

“Oh , Mina. That’s some story you have.”

I was working at the convenience store again and mostly talked with my fellow worker Hyeyeon.

“Tell me about it. My friends are my only family yet they don’t like the arts.” I sighed. “Mind me. I couldn’t tell such stuff to them.”

An announcement played by the store and we all gathered to watch. It was an announcement for an audition for a talent show. Flyers were posted by the store and I was in awe.

“Hmmm…they always promote performing arts in every Korean holiday. Seriously, Heo Chanmi had it big.” Hyeyeon said.

“That’s neat.” I said as I mopped.

“If you want to be like your heroine, then sign up.” Hyeyeon suggested. “You’d make a good dancer, Mina.”

“You think?” I asked.

“Yeah.” Hyeyeon said as she got her music player.

She played music and I was loving it. I dropped my mop and decided to start dancing when…

“Mina!!”

I gasped and stopped to see Jinyoung and Jihoon with Yoojung and Somi. Yoojung got feisty and shoved me off and pointed a running shoe at Hyeyeon's face and hitting her head with it. “Yah! You leave my sister alone!”

“Y-Yoojung-unnie, please! I was just talking to her-“

“Aish! I know your tricks, Hyeyeon! And she wants no part of the Arts!” Yoojung​ yelled again. “And you!” She points at me. “Let’s go. The rest of us will eat lunch together.”

Yoojung puts her shoe back on and I apologized to Hyeyeon for the fiasco.

“That’s fine…” Hyeyeon mumbled and puts something by the pocket. “But if you want to, go. I’ll be there to watch.”

Somi and Jihoon called me and I hid the flyer in my pocket and kept up.

“Mina.” Yoojung called. “Don’t get involved with her again.”

“She’s right, Mina-noona. Better be safe than sorry,” said Jinyoung.

“But-“

“Am I making myself clear?!” Yoojung spat.

“Alright…” I had no choice but to nod.

+++

We arrived at the warehouse and the big bros and Nayoung-unnie we’re preparing lunch. And I could kick Yoojung’s for saying the truth. “Big bros, unnie, Mina had gotten herself involved with a worker towards a talent show audition.”

Minhyun-oppa and Sungwoon-oppa were damned. Nayoung-unnie had the worst face. I sighed. “Come on. It’s just a talent show. And it wasn’t that of a major dance.”

“You? Dancing? That’s ridiculous.” Jihoon spoke.

“You do realize that you need talent to be in it, right Mina-unnie?” Somi commented.

“What are you going to do, noona? Shine the floor with your mop?” Jinyoung batted. “And do you even dance?”

“Mina.” Nayoung-unnie called. “No more working on the convenience store. Why don’t you continue to pursue your culinary course?”

“But-“

“No more convenience stores, Mina.” Nayoung-unnie said again.

“Enough talk.” Sungwoon-oppa said. “Let’s eat.”

+++

Nayoung-unnie and I were not the busy ones for today and we made plans to visit the cemetery first. The best part was that Chungha-unnie will be joining us.

The candles illuminated the dark mausoleum as the buckwheat flowers surrounded the graves. Nayoung-unnie helped Chungha-unnie onto her specialized wheelchair. She was responsive sometimes but only with her sight and voice. Nonetheless, I sighed. It was the audition today and I wanted to go there.

“Don’t give me that look, Mina. It will always be a ritual for us to visit. And in return, our dead brothers and sisters also visit us.” Nayoung-unnie said. “Being a part of this family is being here for this family.”

“Jisung-oppa always said that.” I mumbled.

“That’s right. And now that he passed on, we’ll carry his words with us.” She said again and I nodded.

I nodded and lowered my head. I then raised it lightly as Chungha-unnie said something. “Sejeong-ah…”

Nayoung-unnie got closer and comforted Chungha-unnie.

“Nayoung-unnie?” Chungha spoke.

“Hey, Chungha…rest now. And Mina…” She looks at me. “Mind me for getting angry sometimes. I get so hard on you, even towards Yoojung and the rest, because I care.”

“I know, unnie. I’m sorry for disobeying sometimes.” I said

Nayoung-unnie nodded and was mending Chungha-unnie of her worries. I arranged the rest of the buckwheat flowers but then, I decided to make a run for it.

“Mina!” Nayoung-unnie called. “Where are you going?”

“I thought we were done.” I said.

“No, we’re not. Besides, the others will be coming.” Nayoung-unnie said as she went to grab me back. “We'll wait for them and go home together.”

I huffed and decided to wait and sit beside Chungha-unnie. There were times that Nayoung-unnie and I refuted between each other when Chungha-unnie mumbled something again.

“Sejeong-ah…Sohye-ya…”

Nayoung-unnie's face grew dim and she went to Chungha-unnie and comforted her again. I grew still…

“Sohye…” I mumbled. “Sohye-ya…”

“Mina.” Nayoung-unnie called. “You do not mention those names again.”

“Sejeong-ah…Sohye-ya…are they home?” Chungha-unnie mumbled again.

Nayoung-unnie hushes her again and I sat silently. A ring disrupted the place as Nayoung-unnie excused herself and answered the call. I was dazed until I saw a rat passing by.

I grabbed a stick and chased it, trying to hit it so that it would be away from the graves. But with its frisking, it toppled the frames. I hissed and caught them as quick as I could but I missed one: the group picture.

.

I placed the rest of the frames back on the proper graves and went to get the photo. I wiped the dust off of Chaeyeon-unnie’s part and I checked again, to see if it was torn but I wondered as there were folds on the sides of the picture. I unfolded them slowly and it hit me.

The unknown faces had various objects on their hands. In the top portion, two unknowns were holding microphones. On the right, two were holding instruments. Last were another two, the top right holding a music player…and the bottom right wearing a onesie that held a painting of…

…me?

“Mina?” I averted my attention to Chungha-unnie.

I couldn’t believe this. I was shocked that there were more of our friends but I was more shocked when I found out that we were inclined to the arts before. But then, I comforted Chungha-unnie and she pointed at the folded sides.

“Sejeong-ah…” She referred to the top left person. “…Sohye-ya…” She referred on the onesie holding a painting.

“Chungha-unnie…” I spoke. “…are our friends…inclined to the Arts?”

“Ch-Chanmi…” She mumbled.

“Chungha-unnie…is the late Heo Chanmi…part of our family of friends?” I asked.

She kept on saying the names and I teared up and pecked her cheek. I exited and cheered, dancing my way out. I finally met the rest of my family and cheered, holding the picture.

“Mina, what are you-“

“Mina, is that the group picture?!” Sungwoon-oppa disrupted Minhyun-oppa.

“Oppas, unnie, Jinyoung, Jihoon, Yoojung, Somi!” I cheered. “I know who these people are! And one of them is Heo Chanmi!”

“Mina, put that picture down-“

“Our family of friends are inclined to the Arts!” I continued to cheer. “I can finally be an idol!”

+++

I could cry of the scene before me and I could cry of my consequence.

After telling everyone of the revelations, all of us immediately went home. Nayoung-unnie was mad as Yoojung and Somi sent Chungha-unnie to rest. For the brothers, they found my hideout and destroyed my precious things.

“Were you keeping secrets from us, from your own family?!” Jihoon batted.

“Being part of this family is about being here for this family. Have you forgotten it?!” Jinyoung added.

“I don’t understand!” I cried. “Why are you doing this?!”

“Mina!” Minhyun-oppa grew serious. “Those people are a bad omen within this group and I’m not going to tolerate you to be like them! We don’t know the likes of them for they abandoned this family! And that is no future for my sister.”

“But what did they do wrong?!” I batted.

“I should’ve told you a long time ago. I apologize, Mina.” Nayoung-unnie spoke.

I continued to cry as Yoojung and Somi came back. My heart ached even more when I heard the breaking of my stuff.

“Mina, those people…they belonged to our family of friends before. They were long gone yet your Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa would mumble names before they slept. And we would guess that it was them.”

“Unnie…”

“They would think of them almost all the time, averting their time from us. The incident happened and we thought…those friends were a bad omen to this family. So we forget about them-“

“Is this why you ban the Arts?! Is it why you loathed dancers so bad?!” I yelled.

“Mina-“

“And the late Heo Chanmi is one of us, right?” I asked.

“How dare you speak of that name?! And how dare you talk about such a bad omen?!” Minhyun-oppa got madder.

“This has been the effect of you on that convenience store, Mina.” Yoojung batted.

“It’s getting you hooked up into that bad omen, unnie.” Somi finished. “Please…don’t refute again. Listen to your family.”

“Art is not a bad omen. Let me prove it to you!” I sniffled.

I got up and tried to dance when Nayoung-unnie slapped my face, freezing me.

“Do you want to end up like those women?! Do you want to end up in life-threatening states like Chungha and Daniel?!” She yelled.

She grabbed my prized music player. Somi wanted to stop her but she broke it into pieces, my heart finally torn apart.

“No. More. Arts.” Nayoung-unnie spat.

I was still crouched and crying. The rest of them went inside and I went closer to my stuff, my tears dropping. I scurried my hands over the bits until I gasped, seeing a part of the shark and penguin mobile still in one piece. I held onto it and hugged it close to my heart.

And that’s when I decided to throw away this family of friends and be on my own. And for the talent show, I’m joining.

I got the piece and the picture and ran away from home and went to the park. There were many participants and I wondered how I can actually audition when I had no music player.

I got to the side of the stage and there was the person in charge.

“Excuse me? I’m​ here to audition.” I spoke.

“Dance?” She asked and I nodded. “Do you have a music player?”

“No.” I answered.

“Go and borrow one. If you can catch up​, I'll sign you up.”

I nodded and sighed sadly. Nonetheless, I asked all the participants if they can borrow a music player. Some had none while some were too stingy to let me borrow.

Despite of the rain, the park was magnificent with the essence of celebration. But for me, I was losing hope to join. Walking around, I scanned the pictures. I stopped by a statue, a statue of the late Heo Chanmi. I looked at the statue and saw her hold a music player.

I smirked and decided to hitch a ride towards the cemetery.

+++

The cemetery was loaded with people. I even made stops towards the mausoleum and asked locals if Heo Chanmi was buried on the same cemetery. Thank the guides for the fact that she really was buried in the same place. And boy, was I too lucky?

There was a music player hung by her coffin, the same player that she held onto, just like on that statue.

I managed to arrive at the fanciest mausoleum. It was empty but then, none could get inside. I went towards the windows and huffed that they were locked. I looked up, seeing the clear sky and the fireworks already up. I waited for a right boom and broke the window. I jumped inside and was inside Heo Chanmi's mausoleum.

The music player was at the center and I went to grab it. I hopped on top of the coffin and spoke. “Chanmi. It’s Mina. I’m your sister…” I grabbed the player. “I have a dance audition later. Mind if I borrow your music player?”

I checked and played music on the device. I was shocked that it worked and I felt the urge to dance. I made graceful movements and live into this moment when steps were heard. I stopped and the buckwheat petals swept around the mausoleum like a breeze.

“Who’s in there?”

I freaked out and placed the music player down and heard mumbles outside that the music player was stolen. A guard got inside and I apologized as she drew closer. I try stopping her when I went through her body.

My legs turned to jelly as I watch her pass through me and as she puts the music player back. I flipped out and got out of the mausoleum. I ran and ran and even met Nayoung-unnie, Yoojung, and Somi, calling me. I waved my arms and went to hug them but I passed through. Seeing my transparent hands, it hit me.

I was an unseen being.

“What in the-ah!” I flipped out because I floated lightly.

I backed away and was horrified when I fell down a vacant hole for a burial. I panted and got up when I saw someone lend a hand. I managed to accept the help and got up when I screamed, seeing a dead soul. She even screamed too. I ran off and there were loads of them that I ran for my life, my “unseen” life.

There were even more of them, looking at me strangely. They were like zombies chasing after me. I huffed and ran as fast as I could until I bumped onto someone. I was horrified again due to the broken limbs. I huffed and decided to pick up the limbs.

“I’m so sorry!” I exclaimed.

“Mina?”

I flipped out again, dropping them. They magically levitated and gathered to form a body. Also, there were four other dead souls gazing at me. I gazed at one as she waved.

“Kyulkyung-unnie?!” I pointed.

“Yes.” She smiled. “Hi, Mina~”

The formed body had his head out wrongly. Kyulkyung-unnie went to him and adjusted his head.

“Jisung-oppa?!” I was shocked.

“Aigoo…hello, Mina.” He waved and did his clap.

I looked at the remaining three. One of them was serious. “Jaehwan-oppa!”

“Hey.” He waved.

“Daehwi?! Woojin?!” I pointed out.

“Hey, Mina-noona.” Daehwi waved then gasped as he hugged Woojin. “You can see us?!”

“Technically, she can and she’s like us… but half-dead and half-alive.” Jaehwan-oppa said. “Now how did you get here?”

“I…I kinda borrowed something from the dead.” I explained.

“No wonder.” Jaehwan-oppa added.

“Mina! Your finger!” Kyulkyung-unnie pointed with her dead finger.

I looked and it was just as dead as hers. They all gathered around me and worried.

“This is bad. You need to go back to the living realm now!” Jisung-oppa spoke.

“But she needs to go to Department of Relations in the death realm to settle that. She needs to get the blessing from the eldest female soul of our family.” Woojin added. “But the bad news is that-“

“Chaeyeon-noona hasn’t got here yet.” Daehwi spoke. “What are we going to do?!”

“Simple.” Kyulkyung-unnie held my hand. “We go back and meet her there.”

They all agreed. And for me, I was really desperate to go back home so I decided to obey whatever customs that need to be done. We got ourselves by a bridge of buckwheat petals. Jisung-oppa passed by first and looked like the same handsome Oppa before he died. The others went in too and they looked the same boys of Wanna One.

Wanna One? How did I…what was that all about?

“Come on, Mina.” Kyulkyung-unnie said. “Don’t be afraid. It’s going to be okay.”

I obeyed and followed them. I stopped by to pick some petals and gasped of the place. Who knew the death realm looked like a paradise?

It was filled with colorful buildings with millions of lights. Downwards, there were other bridges of buckwheat petals and other souls who came and went. There were even souls looking at me in fear so I decided to ask Kyulkyung-unnie about it.

“Buckwheat petals may mean for lovers but it paves way for the dead souls like us.” Kyulkyung-unnie answered. “It’s why there are always buckwheat flowers by graves so that we may be guided when we visit.”

“True.” Daehwi added. “And speaking of which, your case here in the realm is crucial, noona. The dead souls always fear of unexpected stuff, especially of the fact that you, a living being, got here in the death realm.”

“Why?” I asked.

“You’ll know soon enough.” Jaehwan-oppa said. “And we’re at the Heavenly Gate again.”

“The Heavenly Gate is a border between the living realm and the death realm. All souls go in but not all can go out.” Jisung-oppa explained to me. “As you can see, Heavenly Guards are on the lookout and inspect the souls. If a family puts a picture of the deceased by the grave, then they can have access to go in and out the realm.”

With the information, I gulped to why Chaeyeon-unnie couldn’t get through. “But what about me? I’m not a dead soul.”

“Leave it to us.” Jaehwan-oppa said.

We got to the Heavenly Gate and there were inspection booths. I saw a peculiar group, almost like a family. I could tell they were disguising yet one of them caught my eye.

I watched the fiasco unfold and the group wasn’t given access to exit, revealing themselves as poor souls. They tried to escape and made it as they run towards the bridge but they submerged. I even got myself to a predicament and bumped onto the said soul from that group, the soul that caught my attention.

“Sorry…” She spoke. “…my bad.”

We got to look at each other’s eyes and I felt tears. She was also shocked as I am when we got back to our realities. I was pulled away by Jaehwan-oppa and the soul was pulled away by the Heavenly Guards, cussing at the fact that the bridge was made up of buckwheat petals.

“You okay, Mina?” He asked.

“I’m fine, Oppa.” I spoke.

“I take pity towards them.” Daehwi pouted.

“We got no time to help fellow souls, Daehwi.” Jisung-oppa said. “We need to help Mina first. Family must always come first.”

Those words hit me in a way but I averted my thinking as we got in line. A Heavenly Guard greeted us nicely and asked us of the return.

“Uhh…we need to go back and go to the Department of Relations.” Jaehwan-oppa talked.

“Why?” The guard asked.

My family presented me. I waved hi and the Heavenly Guard almost collapsed. Nonetheless, we got passage and went inside.

A lot of dead souls were shocked as they looked at me but Jisung and Jaehwan oppas protected me. The cute and silent Woojin even commented that he missed having warm skin over the dead one. After all the walks, talks, and stares, we got to the Department of Relations and boy, were there were many souls in line?

“What is this?” I asked.

“The Department of Relations handles concerns of souls who cannot gain passage to visit the living realm. There are families, forgotten souls, and-“

Jisung-oppa was disrupted with a familiar yell. All of us went to a desk wherein a clerk was cowering because a mad woman was destroying the computer with her fist.

“Damn, she’s strong.” Jaehwan-oppa mumbled.

“Sh.” Jisung-oppa spat as he drew closer. “Uhh…Chaeyeon?”

She aimed her fist at Jisung-oppa's face and we were shocked. But then, she regained composure. “My family of friends! What are you all still doing here?”

“We’re in a bit of another situation, noona.” Daehwi said as I was drawn closer.

We both exchanged looks and I recalled who she was. She was also shocked. “Mina, is that you?”

“Uhh…hi, Chaeyeon-unnie…” I waved.

“What’s going on here?” She asked as she glared at me.

“Excuse me?” Another clerk appeared by the door of one of the DOR offices. “Are you the Produce 101 family?”

We all nodded and were guided inside as the computer of the desk broke a fuse.

+++

We got inside the office and the clerk settled matters immediately since Chaeyeon-unnie can get impatient. I was right of the fact that Chaeyeon-unnie couldn’t pass through because of the photo and yet, she would refute that no one forgets her photo.

“Uhh…I can explain of that…” I interrupted as I showed the photo.

“What in the-Mina…” Chaeyeon-unnie gasped. “…you took my photo from our mausoleum?!”

“I’m sorry, unnie. It was an accident!” I exclaimed.

“Okay! Can you give me a buckwheat stem?” Chaeyeon-unnie asks the clerk.

“Oh yes. For the benefit of the human to know, you, Miss Mina, need a blessing from the eldest female member of the family.”

“Which means you’ll get your blessing from me.” Chaeyeon-unnie said as the clerk gave her a stem, which was stuck by Kyulkyung-unnie's skirt.

The stem lit up. I gulped as Chaeyeon-unnie sighed. “Mina…I give you my blessing…to go home, to put up our photo…and that you never engage on the Arts again.”

“What?! That’s not fair!” I batted. “I want to be an idol like Heo Chanmi and the rest of our families.”

“You mean like the forgotten dead ones? Oh no!” Chaeyeon-unnie spat. “I refuse you to get involved like those idiots. They’re dead to this family.”

“Technically, all of us are,” said Jaehwan-oppa.

“Seriously, she can’t do that!” I yelled at the clerk.

“Sad to say, she has the privilege to decide certain conditions.” She answered me.

I disagreed and decided to ask the rest for the blessing. But . They were all too scared to refute.

“You don’t have an option, Miss Mina. Miss Chaeyeon is the only one who can give you the family blessing.” The clerk clarified.

I sighed and in the end, I agreed. I held the glowing buckwheat stem and got myself back to Heo Chanmi's mausoleum.

“Yosh!” I cheered and grabbed the player again.

I decided to run when I was sent back, hitting onto a stack of papers. I felt everyone look back and I lowered my head.

“Nine seconds passed and you broke your promise.” Chaeyeon-unnie batted.

“it’s unfair. You can’t decide for my life. You had yours and you’re not even alive.” I batted as I got the same group picture. “I want to become an idol. I’ll just let Heo Chanmi know that we’re related.”

They gasped and I looked at the picture again and sighed sadly. I had to get Chanmi’s blessing. It’s the only way to be in the same path she’s into.

“Mina, please reconsider.” I heard Jisung-oppa say. “Listen to Chaeyeon.”

“You only have until sunrise, noona. Please reconsider that you don’t have much time,” said Daehwi.

“She’s only looking out for you, Mina.” Kyulkyung-unnie said. “Be reasonable.”

“Uhh...I need to visit the restroom.” I said as I moved away and went out. “Be right back.”

+++

I ran off and decided to look for Heo Chanmi myself since all of them are against it, just like the remaining living members of our family. I hid my face tight and got a glimpse of them going out and asking the guard to where I am.

I shrugged the fact of. If I want to become an idol, I need to get an idol's blessing. I must find Heo Chanmi before sunrise.

“Hold it.” A hand stopped me.

I gulped. I was turned around and there was another guard. “It’s the living girl!”

I pushed him off and ran off. I went through various streets and stuck to crowds to avoid the chances of getting caught. I continued to run and hid by a station. I huffed and heard some people talking. I took a peek and I saw a familiar figure.

“Come on. It’s a special day wherein all souls have a chance to visit their loved ones.” She spoke.

“Not a chance, kid. This is the fourth time you and your family attempted to cross pass the Heavenly Gate.” A soul of a policewoman spoke.

“Hey! You love Heo Chanmi?! I could get you to meet her personally! She and my family worked together before! Just help us cross through the bridge!”

I felt enlightened. But then, she was given a warning slip and she ran off, crumpling the said paper as I followed her out. I ran towards her. “Excuse me?”

“Watch it…” She hissed as she grabbed her arm and placed it back.

I could hear the guard again and helped her up. We ended up running together and hid onto a payphone stall.

“Hey! What are you-“

“Sh!!” I shut her up. “I don't want to get caught!”

She grabbed my hand off and gasped. “You’re that person I bumped into by the Heavenly Gate!”

“And you…you’re that poor soul that couldn’t get out!” I said back.

“And you! You’re not a dead soul, you’re that living girl!!” She yelled back.

I shushed her again and we tried to hide further. I looked at her and she panted, looking frantically at me. I felt a heart beat and I gulped and got my hand off. Thank goodness she went obedient.

“Yeah, I’m alive. I’m the said living person…and I need Heo Chanmi’s blessing to go back to the living realm.” I said.

“That’s really specific.” She said. “What is even your relation towards her?”

“She’s my sister.” I answered.

She stuttered and had agape and her eyeballs fell on . I reacted. “That’s gross.”

“Wait a second.” She puts a hand on her forehead. “You came to this world for that?”

“Well, I stole her music player in the mausoleum for a talent show and I got here. Now I want to get her blessing so that I can go back and be an idol.” I said. “Will you help me?”

“Why ask me?” She asked back.

“I heard that you know her. I don't have time and I can’t do it alone.” I reasoned.

“I won’t help for free, you know. You also need to help me.” She said back and had papers inside her pocket. “I need to cross the buckwheat bridge.”

“You tried, right?” I asked her. “With your other family? Where are they, anyways?”

“Resting. I was tasked to do an errand for any lead that could help us. And luckily, I ran into you.” She said. “Now…will you help me?”

“I will if you help me as well.” I said.

She nodded. I wasn’t buying it that I went out. I never thought she’d run after me and stop me.

“Please. It would be a win-win situation. We both can help each other.” She spoke as I gasped seeing my family.

“Mina!” I heard Chaeyeon-unnie.

“Okay.” I nodded.

“Nice.” She lends a hand. “I’m Soh.”

I grabbed her hand and we both ran away again. I got her arm and her body was catching up to run. Nonetheless, we ran together again and talked.

“What’s with you and your limbs?” I asked.

“That’s a dead soul thing.” She answered. “Follow my lead.”

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“We need Se's help to get to Chanmi.” She said. “But first…you have to blend in.”

We stopped by a bridge and got under it. I panted and she helps me out to sit down. She then got something from a box and waited for me to catch my breath.

“For a soul, you run fast.” I said.

“Another dead soul thing.” She answered. “Anyways, what’s your name?”

“My name's Mina.” I answered.

I was relieved and waited for Soh when she froze. I slap her dead face and she got back. I asked her what’s wrong.

“It’s a familiar name. You have the same name as my girlfriend then.” Soh said. “Anyways, let’s make you up.”

She got some concealer and puts some on my face. She grabbed some red paint and added streaks by my face. The proximity was close to call and I couldn’t believe my heart beat. It was quicker around Soh.

“There.” She finished and showed my face by a mirror. “Dead as me.”

I wowed of Soh's talent for makeup. I looked just like a dead soul. I look back at her and saw her wince, her hand glowing a white streak.

“Soh, are you okay?” I asked.

“Nothing…” Soh answered. “Listen, Mina. This place is not just a paradise. It runs in memories and it also has its crevices of forgetfulness, a sanctuary of poor souls, like me. Now, we have a silver lining of passing the bridge if our living family have memories of us and have photos of us in a grave.”

“And let me guess. No one put up your photo.” I said.

“Exactly. That’s the help you need to do for me.” She said and got her papers out. “But if you have a family back home, try to ask them-“

“I have none. Just Heo Chanmi.” I batted.

I got a look at them and there were photos of two men and four women. I got lost on the last one and asked. “Is this you, Soh?”

“Yep.” I asked.

“You look…” I spoke sincerely. “…beautiful.”

“Really? Thanks.” Soh smiled.

“So…you help get to my sister and I out up these photos when I get home?” I asked.

“Yes. That’s it, Mina.” She smiled. “There’s a catch, though. Heo Chanmi is a tough woman to get into and my family and I need to cross the bridge soon.”

“We don’t have much time. Let’s move.” I said.

“Right.” She nodded and we both went off.

+++

We got back to the centerpoint and Soh led me to who knows where. She was walking sloppily and I imitated her.

“What are you doing?” She asked.

“Walking like a dead soul, blending in.” I said.

“Dead souls usually float.” Soh batted.

“But you walk like one.” I reasoned. “Anyways, how did you know Heo Chanmi?”

“We may have worked together on a project before but I don’t know much of her…but Se knows all. She used to work with her in a major collaboration.” Soh answered. “Anyways, here we are.”

We stopped by an old warehouse, almost like the one back home. Soh got inside and I followed. She turns on the lights and sighed. “Do? Is Se around?”

Another poor soul got out and was shocked to see me. I greeted her lightly and she still had her gaze at me.

“Soh…what is she doing here?” She asked.

“She needs Se's help, Do.” Soh answered. “Where is she?

“She’s at the other floor, helping Yeun.” Do answered.

Soh went up the stairs and I followed. Do was behind me and we got to the second floor. I could cry of the scene before me.

A girl was on each bed and was bedridden, white streaks flickering onto her skins. A sweet poor soul welcomed me. Soh introduced the bedridden one by the name of Yeun.

“Mina, this is Se.” Soh introduced.

“Hello, I’m-“

“Mina…” She spoke with a sad smile.

“How do you know my name?” I asked.

“You were in the news, the living girl everyone is talking about.” Do reasoned. “A family was looking for you.”

“That’s right. Anyways, are there any leads, Soh?” Se asked.

“We have Mina here to help us…but she also needs your help, Se.” Soh spoke.

“What is it?” Se asked.

Do was left to take care of Yeun and the three of us got down.

“I need to get to Heo Chanmi and get her blessing and become an idol.” I said.

Se had a sad look. I wonder why when Soh begged. “Please, Se. It’s the only way that we can be remembered by our loved ones. What about our photos?”

“Alright, alright.” Se huffed and nodded. “Let’s go.”

Se went out ahead. Soh bids goodbye to Do as we went to follow Se.

+++

We got ourselves on a studio. Se said that it was a studio where Chanmi rehearsed. Soh and Se were talking to a person and I decided to walk around. I looked at the setup and I wowed. I was lost within them when I saw a dead soul teaching people a basic dance.

“This is not going to work.” She huffed.

I got closer and asked her of the dance. She said it was a presentation for Heo Chanmi’s concert. I commented that it was too basic and I tried to dance and they applauded.

“That’s one neat dance, little one. Mind teaching it to us?” She asked.

I nodded and taught them. I was nervous but they were fast learners so the lessons went smoothly. In less that ten minutes, they had a nice routine.

“Such inspiration you have, child. You have the heart of an idol.” She commented.

“Thanks…anyways, is Heo Chanmi here?” I asked.

“She doesn’t come to her rehearsals.” A dancer rolled her eyes. “She’s over the Heavenly Tower hosting her own party.”

“You should sign up for the talent show, child. The winner gets to present at Heo Chanmi’s party.” Another dancer commented.

I saw Se and Soh and they were relieved, even Soh rushed towards me.

“Where did you run off to, Mina?” She asked. “I was worried sick.”

“Omo-it’s the long-gone members of P101, Se and Soh~” The dancers cooed and laugh.

“You know these poor souls?” I asked them back.

“They look indecent but they’re famous around these parts! They died so funnily. Se died from too much and Soh choked on a cupcake!” One commented and all of them laughed.

“Very funny, you idiots.” Soh mumbled sarcastically.

“That’s a lie, Mina.” Se rolled her eyes at them. “We didn’t die that way.”

I could laugh with the dancers but not in front of Soh. But then, I shared something to them of the talent show and Se and Soh grabbed be away from the dancers and we went on our way.

“You don’t have to be part of that talent show, Mina.” Soh said. “We’ll find another way to bring you back to the living realm.”

“But I need Chanmi’s blessing, Soh. Now what about the part of your bargain?” I batted at her. “Don’t you want your photos be remembered?”

Se and Soh stopped. I noticed Se crying lightly as she sighed and looked at me. “Alright…”

“But Se-“

“Come on, Soh. Let’s take her to the talent show…” Se said.

“But she would need an instrument or a music player, right?” Soh asked.

“I agree.” I mumbled, raising my hand lightly.

“Then we go back to the warehouse.” Se said and we followed her. “Our friends there will have the things you need.”

+++

The three of us got back to the warehouse and it had gone more old and bad-looking since the last visit. I saw Soh sigh sadly and I grew scared and held her hand. I thought she would react but she held back. And for a dead soul, her hand felt warm.

“Soh…is it me or this place is losing its-“

“life?” Soh asked and I nodded. “Yeah…that’s because someone will be forgotten soon. I can feel it.”

We got back to the room and Yeun was still bedridden. Do was by her side asleep but...her skin by her legs was flickering with white streaks like Yeun.

“Umm…Do?” Soh nudged her.

“Oh…you guys came back. What happened?” Do asked.

“Well, we need to borrow something-“

“Not again, Soh…” Do hissed.

“Come on, Do. It’s really important.” Se joined her. “We need to borrow two things: Yeun’s ocarina and your music player.”

“What?! You want me to borrow the only sentimental thing that’s left for me?! Even Yeun’s ocarina?!” Do batted.

“Uhhn…D-Do?”

All of us got closer as Yeun was awake. She looked at them but stopped at me. “Is…is that Mina?”

“How does-“

Yeun and Do were flickering and Soh and Se were worried sick. I could only watch them as I sat with them. Yeun was hoisted to sit up with Do as they were weak.

“Do…Yeun…” Soh sniffled.

“Soh…” I was somehow pained that she was crying for a soul.

“Mianhe, Se…Soh…I guess we’re about to fade. It seems…our family has forgotten us….” Yeun mumbled.

“And me…” Do huffed. “The mind may forget but not the heart. But in this case…” She held her flickering chest. “…Yoodaeng has forgotten me in her heart.”

“Yoodaeng…that’s Yoojung’s…” I was shocked that I got my picture out.

The part of the picture glowed and it showed their faces as they were the ones who held the instruments.

“It seems our Mina realized too late…” Yeun smiled. “But that’s okay…at least…we get to see each other for the last time.”

“And in time…” Do smiled at me. “…we’ll see each other again…”

I was too frantic and frozen at the same time when Soh comforted me. Se was granted permission of the ocarina and music player as Do and Yeun sat on the floor this time, leaning their backs by the bed. Soh got the ocarina and I held the music player.

“Se…please keep my guitar as well.” Yeun asked.

“I’ll k-keep it…” Se sniffled and Yeun smiled.

“Se…Soh…Mina…” Do mumbled. “Please sing us a song.”

“Okay.” Se nodded and strummed something on the guitar. “Remember this? This was your favorite…and you two sang it with Soh…”

Soh got the ocarina and played. The music was familiar and yes, I finally got it and decided to sing with them.

When I hear that song while walking along the streets
I occasionally think of you
Say hello to you
When I walk past the cafe we used to go to together
I occasionally think of you
Say hello to you

We pretend not to know each other
Looking elsewhere
We walk different paths
In this space that we don’t understand

Under the same sky, at the same time, At the same place
We’re probably seeing other people
We were too young and didn’t understand love
I wish you happiness, Now goodbye goodbye

Soh sang the last line with all her heart and Do and Yeun smiled and held hands. For me, I never thought Soh and Se could sing so beautifully and play such instruments so well. The flickering streaks on Do and Yeun’s skin turned into ashes and they disappeared along with it. The warehouse had gone dark again and Se and Soh lowered their heads. Then, they got up and went on.

“Soh…” I called. “What happened to them?”

“They’ve been forgotten.” Soh said as she faced me. “When no one is left to remember you in the living realm, you disappear from this world. Now…our Doyeon and Yeunjung are off to a place of nothingness…”

Doyeon…Yeunjung…

Those were one of the names Chungha-unnie mentioned before she got into her accident. I felt so shocked and foolish to not know that they were family. I could gaze at the picture with their part glowing, like a hidden puzzle piece formed onto the big picture.

“But you wouldn’t have to fret, Mina.” Se said. “You now have a memory that they’re part of your family and they’ll return once they have their photos remembered once more. Which is why…we really need to have our photos onto the living realm.”

“She’s right. Come on…” Soh lends a hand. “…let’s get you to that talent show.”

+++

We got a lift and sat there, waiting for ourselves to arrive at the venue. During the ride, it was quiet. And I even bemused and happy that Soh still held my hand. I could blush lightly as my heart pounded lightly.

“How cute, you two.” Se said as she played the guitar. “Such a couple.”

“Very funny, Se.” Soh grinned.

“Seriously, I shouldn’t have doubted you two. I didn’t even realize that you two were inclined to the Arts as musicians.” I spoke.

“We’re former idols, Mina. For Heo Chanmi, we worked with her…and Se here taught her everything she knows.” Soh explained.

“Word.” Se spoke.

“But that’s funny. You two working with the greatest idol of all time?” I asked them.

“Greatest idol? More like the greatest blonde of all time.” Se batted. “She has the skill of the idol but she doesn’t have the heart of an idol. To be a true idol is to express your original work to fans with humility and love…and believe me and Soh, she’s a farce.”

“You guys don’t know what you’re talking about.” I said to them.

I was stopped by my words as we arrived at the venue. It was like the ambiance of Hongdae with public performers. There was a stage, an audience, and many participants by the back stage. The three of us got to the backstage and Soh signs me up. Then, we got to our spot and waited for our turn.

“So…what are you going to showcase?” Soh asked.

“Mostly dance.” I smiled at her. “I’m going to sing and perform Heo Chanmi’s Beautiful.”

“Pick something else, Mina.” Soh said. “That song’s too popular.”

Se points at the other participants and they practiced with the same song but with different styles and versions. “Soh has a point, Mina.”

“Hmmm…maybe I’ll dance to Heo Chanmi’s Dream Girls?” I suggested.

“Nice. Now that’s a song.” Soh commented. “Do has the song right here in her music player.”

I was relieved. I watched the contestants come and go with their performances and I grew nervous. Soh checked on me and her concern made my heart flutter. “What’s wrong? You nervous?”

“Well…I haven’t performed before.” I spoke.

“What?” Se was shocked. “Damnit, Mina.”

“We’ll perform for you-“

“No. I need to do this.” I batted. “If I can’t perform once, how am I supposed to become an idol in the living realm?”

“How sentimental…in such a wrong time!” Se went frantic.

“You sure you want to do this, Mina?” Soh asked.

I nodded. Se was too frantic that Soh volunteered me to teach me the things I needed to know. She taught me tips from expressing my heart out to acting my way out in case I get nervous.

“It’s weird. I only became an idol once and mostly engaged on acting.” Soh commented towards herself.

“But you say it like you’ve been performing your whole life, Soh.” I said sincerely. “Thank you for the advice.”

I heard the crowd cheer wildly. The others said that it was duo of males singing Heo Chanmi’s Never in a better version. With that, I was pressured again.

“Gugu Girl, you’re up next,” said a staff.

“Get on that stage. I’ll take care of the music.” Soh assured me.

I nodded and went up the stage slowly, seeing a crowd. I gulped and my legs shook. I looked to the side and Se was cheering me on. I then saw Soh on one side by the technical as the music was played. I nodded lightly at her and spoke through the crowd. “What’s up everybody? You all got a dream?”

They cheered and I smiled. “This song is for everyone who wants to reach their dreams.”

I then I got into position. The music played and I danced, hearing the crowd cheer. After doing the intro, I grabbed the mic and I sang while I danced.

Everyone laughed at me and left me behind
Even if I’m alone, I don’t care
I may not be beautiful or have the best body
Maybe I look mean, but so what?

Se joined in as she sang and then I accompanied her. Soh also joined and I gasped of this chemistry of a performance. It was better than I imagined. And with Soh by my side, I was relieved and performed at my best.

(Don’t worry) Just be yourself
(It’s my time) I’m the star
(I waited so long) The time is coming
(I’ll show them) Let’s go!

We here to rock the show
Get ready we’ll let you know
No one can stop me, boy
From now on I got you boy
Tell me what you want, I’ll make it true
Confident, be like that!

I was at the center and Se and Soh joined me in the performance and the crowd goes wild.

We are the Dream Girls, Dream Girls
Chasing our dreams, Dream Girls
There’s enough time, don’t rush
Trust yourself, don’t give up
We are the Dream Girls, Dream Girls
Hang in there a bit more, Dream Girls
Don’t mind being a little bit late
Over & over, Follow your fever like that

The performance ended with a pose, with Soh carrying me like a bride. The proximity made my heart beat quickly. I gazed at Soh’s chest and it lit as if it was her heartbeat. I gulped and reached for her face as the crowd cooed, even Se joined in. We were inching closer with every second and I was about to kiss her when I saw Daehwi and Woojin on one part of the crowd, Kyulkyung-unnie on the veranda, and Chaeyeon-unnie on the center.

I got myself off and held Soh’s hand as she follows me. Se managed to catch up as she wondered. “What was that? The winner is about to be revealed.”

“No time for that.” I said. “We need to get out of here.”

Everyone, before we announce the winner, I have an important announcement. Our fellow souls asking for help. Please be on the lookout for a living girl by the name of Mina. Earlier tonight, she ran away from her family.

“Wait…you have another family?” Se batted.

“W-Wait, I can explain-“

“Soh, we’re not going to go according to plan. Let’s go home.” Se glared at me as she lets go of Soh.

“But Se…the photos-“

“We’re not going to gamble ourselves for a living girl’s selfish desire.” Se batted.

“Come on, unnie. I’m sure Mina has a reason.” Soh batted back. “We need each other’s help. Now come on. We need to go and help Mina.”

“No.” Se held my hand. “We’re taking Mina back to her family-“

“No! I need to go to Heo Chanmi and get my blessing!”

“And then what? Become an idol and just forget the part of the bargain? Mina, you kept something from us-“

“Oh, look who’s talking. You didn’t tell me Doyeon and Yeunjung were my family and waited for me to find out myself!” I batted.

It was all silent but I couldn’t waste any more time. “You know what? Don’t help me and just forget our deal. I’ll find Heo Chanmi myself and you can just go back and have yourselves forgotten.”

I ran off and cried. I had to be away from this place as soon as possible. I ran around and made my own lead towards the Heavenly Tower when I was stopped by a hand. I turned around and there was Soh.

“Mina-“

“Soh, let go.” I shoved my hand off. “Go home or something…I won’t ask for your help again.”

“Mina, please…let me come with you. Let me help you-“

“Don’t you understand that I don’t need your help?!” I yelled at her. “You’re not some special person. You’re just a poor soul to be forgotten. Now go away, Soh! You can’t help me and you’ll never will!!”

She froze and I grabbed that chance to run. I cried as I did. I never wanted to do that to her…because I care for her.

“It’s that living girl!” I heard a woman say.

I covered myself with my hoodie as I was getting stares. I made a run for it again, passing by crevices and dodging any person that could tell me to authorities. I went down a bridge when alas! Chaeyeon-unnie was in front of me. The rest were behind her.

“This nonsense ends now, Mina! I am going to give you my blessing!” She yelled.

I ran for my life again as they were all chasing me. Kyulkyung-unnie and Woojin were the quick ones as they made attempts to grab me but I ran as fast as I could. I passed by an alleyway and a gate was blocking. What made it worse was that Chaeyeon-unnie was catching up. I saw a hole and I decided to crawl my way in.

“Mina, please! I’m trying to save your life!” Chaeyeon-unnie reasoned.

“You’re not saving it. You’re ruining it!” I huffed and got across.

Chaeyeon-unnie was on the other side as she couldn’t open the gate. I huffed and sniffled. “The Arts make me happy and you’re taking it away with your conditional blessing!! You’ll never understand.”

I made a run for it when I stopped because of a voice.

It’s just a passing downpour
It’s how I feel
After I met you
I haven’t lost the happy memories to the rain

“B-But…the Arts are dead to this family…” I mumbled.

“I should tell the truth, huh?” She spoke and I froze.

Chaeyeon-unnie still clung onto the bars and sighed. “The Arts were a foundation of my whole being. I was a temple of that. I was an idol…”

I froze of the revelation. But then, a part of me wanted to listen. Chaeyeon-unnie continued. “I debuted and was casted on a survival show and ranked 7th. I was in another girl group and we debuted together. I met with our counterparts and we became one association. Despite of not being able to stay with them in one dorm due to various schedules, the bond was there. Music and love for fans bonded us…and nothing else mattered.”

“Unnie…”

“But when a world tour happened and twelve of us died, an allegiance occurred. I was the only witness. Four of us were taken away by one selfish trainee. And the worst part? The four of them agreed to join her in the midst of that accident.” Chaeyeon-unnie looked at me. “They betrayed us. The Arts wrecked this family apart. Which is why I cannot let you become the likes of them, just as much as our living family did. We made sacrifices to get what we want…and you must make one as well, Mina.”

“But, unnie…we’re family. There are no sides to pick.” I spoke. “I’m family, aren’t I? Now why stick onto a grudge when you can just support me? It is what family is supposed to do…”

“Mina…”

“I guess you’ll never will…” I sniffled and ran away.

+++

After all the mishaps, I managed to arrive at the Heavenly Tower. There was a line of VIPs up ahead and I made my attempt to get in. I said I was Chanmi’s sister but the guard didn’t buy it and I ended up being kicked out of the line.

I huffed and picked the music player up when I saw those two guys who performed Never. And as guessed, they were the winners of the talent show. I had an idea and got closer to them. “Excuse me, aren’t you the winners of the talent show?”

“And are you the one who performed Dream Girls? That was neat.” The young one spoke in English.

“He says your performance was great.” The other spoke. “Just like how we remember it…”

I didn’t understand. I saw a glow by my jacket and grabbed the picture inside. Another piece of the puzzle came to life. I looked at them and the picture…and they were the ones holding the microphones. First was Doyeon and Yeunjung…and now…

Seungwoo-hyung…Guanlin…

Those were the names Daniel-oppa mentioned before. And I would guess that these two men were them. “Seungwoo-oppa? Guanlin?”

“Mina-noona!” Guanlin spoke and hugged me.

Another mystery was revealed and I could cry. They were another part of my family and I managed to see them.

“What brings you here, Mina?” Seungwoo-oppa asked.

“To see Heo Chanmi.” I answered.

I saw their skins flicker. They sighed and I got the gist to what’s happening. “Come with us.”

“But you’ll have to hide, noona.” Guanlin said as he opened a large empty bag.

I nodded and got in. It was tight but I needed to do it. It took a while for me to wait until I was released.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

We arrived at the top of the tower and the three of us got out. I saw Guanlin and Seungwoo-oppa glowing lightly. I got to them and asked of their pictures. Guanlin got both of the pictures and the golden ticket as winners of the talent show and he puts them in my hoodie.

“I’ll see you both again…r-right?” I asked, crying.

“You will, noona.” Guanlin smiled. “Send my regards to everyone, especially to Jihoon.”

“Tell Daniel not to forget me.” Seungwoo-oppa smiled.

They disappeared and I sniffled. But then, I focused on the task at hand and went inside to look for Chanmi. I got a glimpse of her but she disappeared within the sea of people. I called her and excused myself from the people and got in, gasping of the grand party I was in.

The ambiance was modern and there were projected scenes of Chanmi’s famous musicals. Chanmi was at the center entertaining guests and I call her again. But alas! There were many people in front of me and I was too short to see her. I gave up and walked away.

Seize your moment

It was an inscription in one of her musicals. With that, I grabbed the music player with me and climbed the pedestal. I relaxed and screamed. “Yeorobun!!”

Everyone got my attention, even the DJ. I got the player and played music. Everyone had smiles and I began to sing as I draw myself closer to Chanmi.

The warm sunlight was brightly shining
The spring that was filled with pink light is ending

Everyone made way. I got myself close to Chanmi and I somehow got her attention.

The pretty flowers that are falling one by one
I worry if your feelings will cool down too
Our spring that is ending without a sound
I softly close my eyes and pray that it won’t end

I gasped as I fell on water. I was ed up because I couldn’t swim. But another body dove and saved me from drowning. I felt myself back on land as I coughed.

“You okay, dear?” A voice asked.

I looked at the person and I heard gasps. I could even gasp myself because the person who saved me was Heo Chanmi herself.

“Omo-it’s you. You’re that girl from the living realm.” Chanmi addressed.

“You know about me?” I asked.

“Well, yes. Everyone has heard about you.” Chanmi answered. “What brings you here anyway?”

“I’m Mina. I’m your sister.” I spoke.

“Wait…I have a sister?” She asked.

“I came here to receive your blessing to go back home and become an idol just like you.” I spoke. “Our family bans the Arts and they wouldn’t listen...but I hope you would.”

“Well, dear…” She chuckled and helped me up. “…with a talent like that, how can I not listen?”

I hugged her and everyone cheered. She even carried me on her back and declared me as her sister. The cheers went on and I hugged her tighter. She chuckled.

This was wonderful. I can finally get her blessing and go home.

+++

It was a party and how could I not celebrate? After the revelation, I spent most of my time with Chanmi. I met other idols, did a lot of leisure with her, sang Beautiful together with the other idols, and even walked with her in a room filled with a lot of gifts.

“These were from the fans. They always left stuff by my mausoleum every time they visit. It’s too much in a way but I always kept them for memory.” Chanmi said.

I wowed. Chanmi looked at me and asked. “Someone’s bothered. What’s wrong, Mina?”

“Nothing. I’m too overwhelmed to meet you. I look up to you my whole life because you were the dominator of idols alike. Did you not regret of making that choice and leave everything behind?” I spoke.

“Mina. Being an idol takes a lot of sacrifice, from training to quality time with people. In my case, I had to leave my hometown and loved ones.”

“Even family?” I asked.

“Ne.” She nodded. “But I could’ve done stuff differently. One can never deny passion, especially of what it meant to be. And you, my sister, are meant to be an idol like me.”

I smiled as we stopped by a window. Chanmi still spoke. “We are temples of the Arts, Mina. We cannot belong to one family. The world is our family.”

The fireworks have begun and Chanmi was one excited woman. They were wonderful. But it also meant that it was midnight. I can’t waste time.

After all the chitchat, Chanmi said that she would have a spectacular sunrise party and she wanted to invite me as a guest.

“But Chanmi…I have to get back before sunrise.” I show her my body which looked dead and transparent, my bones visible.

“Aigoo…looks I really do need to send you back home.” Chanmi sighed and grabbed a buckwheat stem. “Mina, it’s been a privilege to see you. I’m sad that you have to go…but I hope you die soon.”

“What?” I was confused.

“…so that we’ll see each other again and sing and dance to fans.” She finished. “Anyways, Mina…I give you my blessing-“

“Not a chance, you .”

I turned around and there were two figures. Chanmi even bowed to one of them. “Great King Sejong. Ahn Sohee, I thought you two wouldn’t make it.”

They sighed and took off their disguises. I gasped. “Se! Soh!”

“Mina, the deal wasn’t off. We promised each other.” Soh said as she and Se got closer.

“Do you know these souls, Mina?” Chanmi asked me.

“I just met them tonight.” I answered. “They said they knew you.”

I saw Chanmi gaze at them and she was shocked. “Sejeong? Sohye?”

Sejeong-ah…Sohye-ya…

Chungha-unnie mentioned those names before. My hoodie was glowing again when Soh got closer and had the pictures on her hand. “Mina…please…put these photos back to the living realm.”

I wanted to retrieve them when Chanmi took them. “Sohye, Sejeong…you both are being forgotten.”

“And whose fault was that?!” Se…well, Sejeong spoke and got mad. “Those weren’t your songs! Those are I.O.I and Wanna One’s songs! Those were the Produce 101 songs that OUR GROUP sang for the fans in which YOU stole so that YOU will be famous!”

“That’s crazy. Chanmi wrote all of her songs.” I said to Sejeong.

“Should I tell Mina?” Sohye raised an eyebrow at Chanmi.

“Sejeong…” Chanmi chuckled and I felt eerie. “I never meant to take credit of it but…the members of those groups died. YOU died, even Sohye here. And I made myself shine onto those songs do that I’d take your legacies and make them alive, a part of you alive.”

“Legacy, my . How generous of you!” Sejeong batted.

I mentioned Wanna One before and even recalled I.O.I before Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa’s accidents. The mysteries were piecing themselves together and it hit me. “That was P101, huh? The one the dancers talked about…you…you three worked together as a group.”

“That’s right, Mina.” Sohye said.

“Look. That’s been over and done but me and Sohye, even the late Doyeon and Yeunjung…we want to make things right. If Mina can put back our photos-“

“Sejeong!”

“-we could cross the bridge and see our loved ones again!” Sejeong finished. “Chanmi, remember the night that the four of us wanted to leave?”

“That was a long time ago, Sejeong.” Chanmi sighed.

“The two of us drank and you said you’d move heaven and earth for your friend. And now, I ask you…” Sejeong spoke. “…please…”

“Heaven and earth?” I asked, the three looking at me. “That’s in a musical before. It was a quote on Chanmi’s seventh musical.”

“This is about the real life, Mina.” Sohye spoke.

“No. That’s part of the musical…look…” I pointed at the screen.

Sejeong and Sohye looked at the scene and it was exactly what Sejeong said a while ago. “In the musical, Chanmi’s character, Shin Minjoo, had a toast with Choi Jihyun. But as you see, Choi Jihyun poisoned the drink Minjoo had. Another event was that there were three witnesses, who happened to be Jihyun’s henchmen. Minjoo kicked the asses of those three to stop them from spreading any gossip.”

“The night the four of us decided to leave…” Sejeong mumbled as she spoke her side of the story.

Sejeong and Chanmi were members of P101 together with Sohye, Yeunjung, and Doyeon. Chanmi and Sejeong were to be a part of a major collaboration when Sejeong, Sohye, Yeunjung, and Doyeon decided to quit being in the group.

One night, Sejeong was packing all her stuff. The rest of the three were to catch up to her. Chanmi and her talked in that room and Chanmi became desperate.

“You’re leaving now, when we’re this close to our dreams?” Chanmi batted.

“This is YOUR dream, Chanmi. You can manage-“

“But I can’t do it without you, Sejeong!”

“The four of us are going back, Chanmi. You may hate the four of us but our minds have been made up.” Sejeong batted. “We’re not going to hide anymore. We’re going back to the group where we always belong.”

Chanmi grew grim but she chuckled. “If you must, well…how about we have a toast?”

Chanmi was at the back pouring them drinks. She gave one to Sejeong and spoke. “Despite of a farewell, I would move heaven and earth for you, my friend. Salute!”

After the drink, Chanmi decided to Sejeong back to the train station. But then, Sejeong felt pain in her stomach. Her consciousness was losing every second and the last thing Sejeong heard was that…

“Perhaps it was that kimchi, Sejeong…”

“I woke up dead…” Sejeong mumbled. “…you poisoned me…”

More pieces of a mystery unfolded. Sejeong grew dim…but Sohye grew dimmer. I grew worried and got closer to her when she spoke.

“…and you decided to kill the three of us because we witnessed you…just like in that ing musical.”

“Where could Sejeong-unnie be?” Doyeon asked.

“Maybe she still has loads of stuff to pack.” Yeunjung spoke.

“Come on.” Sohye said. “Let’s go and help her.”

The three of them decided to go back when they froze of the sight. There was Sejeong with Chanmi…and Sejeong was lifeless as Chanmi took her guitar and suitcase. But then, Chanmi saw them and ran towards them. The three, being too young, were scared and ran for their lives.

Sohye was separated with the rest as she ran. She hid and cried, also praying for her dear life and the for the others’ lives. She saw an escape route and tried to get there when her arm was hit with a gun. She saw Chanmi, all bloody and another bloody guitar was on the other hand. A bloody music player was on her pocket and Sohye raged.

Chanmi killed Doyeon and Yeunjung.

Sohye became uncontrollable as she tries to destroy Chanmi for her great sin. But as a defenceless being, Chanmi had the upper hand and shot Sohye on the arm many times. Sohye felt herself bleeding and losing consciousness as Chanmi grinned evilly and went off. Sohye huffed, tears on her eyes as she wakes up dead as well.

And I became a concerned yet frantic woman as Sohye raged towards Chanmi, with Sejeong joining her.

“Sejeong, Sohye-“

“SECURITY!” Chanmi yelled.

“You wrecked everything apart!!” Sohye yelled as she struggled. “You took everything away from us!”

“We just wanted to go back home and explain to our brothers and sisters! We wanted our group back together!” Sejeong yelled.

I was frozen from all the revelations and watched Sohye and Sejeong being taken away. The doors slammed shut and Chanmi and I were the only ones left. Chanmi faces me and she still held the stem. “Mina.”

“Yes?” I responded.

“Listen, my reputation is important. I don’t want anyone to think that I’m the bad guy. You think I’m one…or not?” She spoke.

“No.” I responded. “You’re not. Well…Chanmi-unnie…” I lent a hand. “…my blessing?”

She looked at the stem then at me. She got the photos and placed them on her pocket. What shocked me was that she crumpled the stem. “Security! I’m afraid that Mina will be extending her stay.”

“What?!” I was shocked as I struggled beneath such tight arms. “Hey! We’re family!”

“And so were Sohye and Sejeong!” Chanmi snickered. “Mina, success is not free. You do whatever it takes to…seize your moment. I know you understand.”

I struggled again as I was sent off. I was dragged towards an abandoned area and fell onto a sinkhole.

+++

*gasp*

I huffed and swam to shore. I panted and looked up, asking for help and wanting to go home. Silence was an answer and I got hopeless. Seeing my skin already paling itself, my time was almost up. But then, I heard ruffling noises. I looked to see…

“Sejeong, Sohye?”

“Mina?” Sejeong stood up sloppily.

“Sejeong! Sohye!” I cried and went to them.

I went to hug the both of them but I hugged Sohye longer. Sohye hugged me back. “Oh, Sohye…I shouldn’t have said those things to my family! I should’ve just obeyed!”

“Mina-“

“I said I didn’t care…I didn’t care…” I sobbed and hugged Sohye tighter.

“Mina…” Sejeong pats my back. “...it’s okay.”

“Mina, don’t cry…” Sohye comforts me.

I hugged Sohye tighter when she pushed herself off and her body was flickering like an electric shock. Sejeong was of the same predicament as she panted. I checked on them, especially Sohye.

“They’re forgetting us...” Sejeong and Sohye said in unison.

“Who?” I asked.

“Our family…and our other halves, our girlfriends.” They said again.

“Those people…are the reasons you guys wanted to cross the bridge?” I asked them.

“We wanted to see them again. We should’ve had said no…” Sejeong hissed and wept. “…we shouldn’t have agreed to Chanmi’s wishes in that desperate measure.”

“Why?” I asked as I comforted them. “What happened?”

“We were part of an association composed of 22 members. We had a successful world tour and were divided into four vans as we went home. Two vans exploded in the middle of the road and we got into an accident.” Sohye began and I caressed her hair to ease her. “Six of us were on that van. The four of us were in a critical state.”

“Chanmi was there. She ambushed us. She said we have to agree on joining her or else she’ll harm us.” Sejeong cried. “We refuted…and Chaeyeon saw everything…”

“Chaeyeon?” I was shocked. “Chaeyeon-unnie…”

“She was killed in front of us…” Sohye cried. “… and so…we agreed and we went on that ed-up point of our lives…”

“We wanted to go back home in order to explain and ask for forgiveness of what we’ve done. I wanted to see my girlfriend again, that she would see my try to come back…and that I love her so much…” Sejeong sniffled.

“Same…” Sohye said.

“My Chungha…” “My Mina…”

It hit me. It was the final piece of this whole mashup. It was the final piece that would become a stand against my family’s hatred on the Arts. It was the final piece of my longing thoughts, the longing thoughts that have been proven real right now.

I got the group picture and it was pieced out completely. I showed to them as my tears flowed endlessly. Sejeong and Sohye were shocked as they wondered. “Where did you get this?”

“This…is my family. There’s even Chungha-unnie here…and me…” I pointed. “Sejeong-unnie…you held the music player…and S-Sohye-ya…” I stuttered as I faced Sohye. “…you wore that shark onesie I gave you…and held a painting of me…”

I lost it as I hugged Sohye. My tears would stain her now but…it was too overwhelming to know that they were my family this whole time. And I was overwhelmed that the dead soul Sohye, the soul that I fell for, was actually my lover in the real world.

“I’m so sorry…” I sniffled. “…h-how could I forget you?”

We broke and Sohye cupped my cheeks. I still cried as I held her face too. I felt another arm around me and we both hugged Sejeong.

“I waited for this moment to happen. We would’ve told you beforehand but…it’s not how it works. You had to know for yourself, Mina.” Sejeong-unnie said.

“Sejeong-unnie…Chungha-unnie…”

“Your Chungha-unnie meant a lot to me. I may never see her in the living realm but I know she always thought of me. I know she missed me and I even hoped that one day, she’d put all of our photos. But it never happened. And you know the worst part? I hoped that I’d see her here and give her hugs and kisses…and we’d dance like we did in our showcase. But she’s the only one who remembers me and she’s in a critical state.”

“You’ll disappear once she passes on…” I mumbled. “…and you’ll never see each other…”

“Exactly.” Sejeong said.

“So much for lovers…” Sohye spoke. “Remember the song that paves the way of our lovers in our association, Sejeong-unnie?”

“Yes. It’s what I would sing to Chungha.” Sejeong chuckled.

“And what I would sing to Mina.” Sohye spoke.

“Sohye…”

“This might be the last time we’ll sing it here…and I hope…” Sohye reaches my hand. “…that it will regain the memories we’ve lost…”

I gulped and my heart pounded. Sohye looks up as she sang first.

This foolishly regret-filled song
I hope it reaches the sky
My prayer that spent all night in tears
I hope it reaches your heart

The memories were starting to form. Sejeong held my shoulder as she sang.

I was young, I didn’t know I’d be like this
I thought it was a given back then
The smile you left behind
Still remains in my heart

Honestly, I think I still need to receive love
The longer I’m left alone
The more afraid I get
I miss those days, I miss you so much, yeah

A moment as a trainee, a moment as a member of I.O.I, my moments with Sohye, the formation of Wanna One, the world tour, and the accidents. I’ve finally recalled them. And yes…I missed Sohye so much…

I miss you so much
Now I finally feel our space
I miss you so much
Tears are falling like this
But why didn’t I know?

I sobbed but Sohye comforted me with a kiss on the forehead. I hugged her tight as I sniffled.

So beautiful beautiful
You’re more beautiful than anyone else
So don’t be sick, don’t cry
If you can hear this song for you
Come back to me

Oh I miss you, I miss you
Seeing myself standing alone in the mirror
It’s strange and I’m afraid, I need you
I hate myself for realizing this now

It took some time to relieve ourselves from a big revelation. But in my case, Sohye’s presence mattered most. We stopped singing and I ended up hugging her.

“She ruined everything…” I mumbled. “We should be the one the world remembers, not her!”

“Ah…true. But it was a petty excuse for her and us. So much for me since…I created a mishap.” Sejeong said.

“Well, for a minute I thought one of my sisters was one hell on a syndicate. But…” I huffed and hugged them. “…it paved way for me to finally know my complete family…”

I was too happy. We all were. Despite of being stuck in a sinkhole, we’re all happy to know everything. For me, I was happy to finally meet my family, especially the love of my life.

“Now don’t get too sweet.”

“Huh?” I looked up. “Jaehwan-oppa!”

He waved and was with Chaeyeon-unnie. A spirit animal came down and were hoisted up from the sinkhole. I got hugs from the others and wanted Sohye and Sejeong to join in but Sohye lowered her head.

“Sohye…” Chaeyeon-unnie called. “…you think I’d forget you?”

I hugged her and the two also hugged Sohye, welcoming her. Chaeyeon-unnie broke and her face grew dim of the other visitor.

“Hey, Chaeyeon.” She waved.

“Sejeong.” Chaeyeon spoke coldly.

“Hello too, Jaehwan.” She waved. “You look good.”

“Okay.” Jaehwan-oppa was unfazed. “Let’s go.”

+++

All of us flew safely. Chaeyeon-unnie and Jaehwan-oppa were at the front, Sohye and I at the middle, and Sejeong was clinging onto the spirit animal’s tail.

“Come and sit with us, unnie.” Sohye said.

“I’m fine, Sohye. Have some time with your lover now-ahhh, my hair tie!!” Sejeong spoke.

We chuckled and I reached to cup Sohye’s face. She looked dead but was beautiful. Sohye smiled and I could ogle at her for being cute.

“You knew it was me all along, huh?” I asked her.

“Yeah. But as Sejeong-unnie said, you had to know for yourself.” Sohye answered.

“Oh, you…” I giggled and inched to kiss her.

“NO PDA.” Jaehwan-oppa commented.

“Please.” I pouted. “You just miss Minhyun-oppa.”

Jaehwan-oppa almost spits by the spirit animal of my remark. I looked down and there were the rest of our family. We landed and I got down to hug everyone.

“You cutie…” Chaeyeon-unnie was the last to hug me. “…you made me worried sick! I’m glad we got to you in time.”

But then, Chaeyeon-unnie grew dim of Sejeong-unnie and Sohye. But as I see, she was angry at Sejeong-unnie. She points at her. “You! How many times must I push you away?!”

“Chaeyeon-“

“I refuse that you’d be part of this, in life and in death! Jisung-oppa and I spent decades protecting and guiding this family from your biggest mistake! You got Sohye, Yeunjung, and Doyeon on your side but not Mina! She spends five minutes with you and look, I fish you three out of the sinkhole!!”

“Chaeyeon-unnie, I wasn’t there because of her. The two of them were there because of me.” I explained. “Sejeong-unnie and Sohye were trying to help me get home. I didn’t listen but I did it for our family…because as Jisung-oppa said, family comes first…”

“Mina…”

“I’m ready to accept your blessing, Chaeyeon-unnie…and your conditions.” I said. “But first, I need to find Heo Chanmi. I need to get their photos-“

“What?!” They all reacted.

“-so that they’ll be remembered.” I showed them the group photo with the hazy pieces put together. “All of the pictures should be in those graves. We’re all family. Sejeong-unnie, Sohye, Yeunjung, Doyeon, Seungwoo-oppa, and Guanlin are our family.”

“Not Sejeong!” Chaeyeon-unnie batted. “She left her family and dragged the little ones with her!”

“It was a misunderstanding, unnie. They were still conscious on the first accident. Chanmi was there and forced them to agree to join her to protect all of us. All of them wanted to go back but Chanmi MURDERED them!!” I finished.

Chaeyeon-unnie was shocked. But then, she was still mad. “And so what, Sejeong?! You should’ve said no in the first place. We’re 22 and she’s just one . We could’ve solved the problem together!! How could you just leave everything behind and make me forgive you just like that?!”

“Chaeyeon, I-“

Sejeong-unnie and Sohye flickered and collapsed. For me, I managed to catch Sohye and ease her. “Sohye-ya…”

“Yeunjung and Doyeon are gone…” Sejeong huffed.

“Seungwoo-oppa and Guanlin too…” I mumbled. “…and now you two?”

“We’re running out of time…” Sohye panted. “It’s Chungha-unnie…”

“Daniel-oppa has forgotten but Chungha-unnie…she’s getting there…” Chaeyeon-unnie mumbled.

“Unnie…you don’t have to forgive Sejeong and Sohye…but we shouldn’t forget them…” I pleaded.

“I did all I could to forget you all. I did everything so that Chungha-unnie will forget.” Chaeyeon-unnie hissed.

“Chaeyeon, it’s all my fault.” Sejeong-unnie spoke. “I’m sorry…”

“Mina…if we do this to help them, then will you go back home with no more love for the Arts?” Chaeyeon-unnie asked me.

“Yes.” I nodded and held Sejeong-unnie and Sohye’s hands. “Family comes first.”

“Sejeong.” Chaeyeon-unnie called. “I won’t forgive you…but we will help you.”

“Ne!” The rest of the family members cheered.

“Now how do we get to Heo Chanmi?” Jisung-oppa asked.

“I think I know a way.” I grinned.

+++

It was almost time for Chanmi’s sunrise concert and we conducted our mission from there. With the dancers’ help, we blended in and got backstage. We got the dresses off, even the fake monobrows. We gathered around and Sejeong and Chaeyeon unnies almost got themselves into an argument.

“Now, everyone knows what to do?” I asked.

“Find Heo Chanmi.” Kyulkyung-unnie spoke.

“Get the photos.” Jaehwan-oppa said next.

“Send them to Mina.” Jisung-opp pointed out.

“And bring Mina home.” Chaeyeon-unnie finished.

“Got your buckwheat stems?” Sejeong-unnie asked and we showed them.

We ran together, and I was by Sohye’s side as we held hands. Chaeyeon-unnie lead us and we hid as she and Chanmi were face to face. We got a look and Chaeyeon-unnie punched Chanmi on the face.

“Feisty.” Jaehwan-oppa commented.

“That’s for murdering my brothers and sisters, you !!” She ranted.

“What are you talking about?”

“She’s talking about us, you idiot!” I batted and were by Chaeyeon-unnie’s backs.

“I’m you sister?” Sejeong-unnie asked.

“ that ,” said Chaeyeon-unnie.

“You!” Chanmi pointed at me. “You’re related to I.O.I and Wanna One?!”

“The photos!!” Sohye pointed.

Chanmi made a run for it and we went after her. Sejeong-unnie was still too happy for Chaeyeon-unnie’s words but Chaeyeon-unnie shrugged her off. Sohye and I ended up teasing her when we faced the guards.

Jisung-oppa charged first and kicked . All of us separated and tried to counterattack the guards as I charged at Chanmi to get the photos. Chaeyeon-unnie went to help me and got them. A pedestal rose with Chaeyeon-unnie and Chanmi went up. One guard stopped us and I struggled when Sohye kicked his head and helped me up.

We went upstage as the boys distracted the guards. We gasped as we saw Chaeyeon-unnie on top of that pedestal. The introductions were made and the camera was on her. She was frozen that I waved and yelled. “Sing, Chaeyeon-unnie!”

The guards were catching up and Chaeyeon-unnie backed away. She held the mic and began to sing.

Yum yum yum yum yum
A strange, yet addicting taste

We were shocked. But then, Sejeong-unnie got my music player and played the right music. Chaeyeon-grinned and sang again.

Yum yum yum yum yum
A strange, yet addicting taste
Yum yum yum yum yum
1,2,3 Again attracting me

The guards were chasing Chaeyeon-unnie and she grabbed the mic and went down as if she was dancing.

The first time, I didn’t like it
And it didn’t capture my attention
Don’t mind me,
You will still find me eventually

Chanmi was right in front of her when Sohye jumped and got the photo, joining the performance.

Now I’m looking, pretending not to know
The corner of my mouth raises a little
Your eyes, always chasing after me, If it isn’t,
Take the box filled with me and open it

Chaeyeon-unnie and Sohye were dancing played catch with the photos. Chanmi and the guards hissed as they try to surround them. Chanmi manoeuvred and caught Chaeyeon-unnie and got the photos again, singing the last part. Sejeong-unnie went there and sang and tackled Chanmi as Chaeyeon-unnie got the photos again. I couldn't resist and joined in.

One bite, another bite, Ah~

(Gimme that) Yum Yum
(Gimme, gimme, gimme that)
Come on
(Gimme, gimme, gimme that)
Pretending not to know Yum Yum

Gimme that) Yum Yum
(Gimme, gimme, gimme that)
Come on
(Gimme, gimme, gimme that)
You’re really Yum Yum (Gimme that)

Chanmi got the photos again and pushed us off and took the stage. But Chaeyeon-unnie got up and stomped her foot, making her wince like a gay man. She managed to grab the photo and sang her last line.

1,2,3 Again attracting me

The crowd applauded and we ran backstage. Our family cheered. I even shared hugs with Chaeyeon and Sejeong unnies and with my beloved Sohye. The unnies commented on how good they were while I hugged Sohye tight and inched to kiss her.

“Mina.” Sejeong-unnie called and Sohye and I broke. “You blessing, remember?”

“Sejeong-unnie is technically the eldest female now so-“

“Mina.” Sejeong-unnie got her petal. “I give you my blessings…”

The stem glowed so bright. “…that you go home, that you put up all our photos, and that you never-“

“-love the Arts again…” I mumbled.

“- to never forget how much your family loves you, especially of Sohye’s love for you…” Sejeong-unnie finished.

“You’re going home now, love.” Sohye smiled at me.

I nodded and reached for the stem when I was pulled away. I looked back and gasped to see Chanmi. “You’re not going anywhere!!”

I had a gun on my head and I whimpered. Chaeyeon-unnie charged and Chanmi shot her. We all reacted and Sejeong-unnie went to her as the others were too scared to fight back but they went closer as I was pulled backwards, just by the edge of the building. Chanmi tells them to stay back when Sohye raged and Chanmi shot her by the arm again.

“Sohye-ya, no!!” I wept.

“Stop it, Chanmi-“ Sejeong-unnie spoke when she flickered and collapsed. “Leave our little Mina alone!”

“I’ve worked too hard for this and I’m not going to let some child destroy everything, Sejeong!” Chanmi yelled.

“But Mina’s just a child-“

“She’s a threat!!” Chanmi spat again. “You think I’ll just let this child hang your photos and keep your memory alive and back to the way it’s supposed to be?!!”

“You’re a coward!!” Sohye spat as she flickered.

“Ha! I’m Heo Chanmi, the greatest idol of all time!”

“You’re a farce, Chanmi! We’re the real idols! I.O.I and Wanna One are the real idols! You’re just some useless trainee who attempted to murder all of us just to get our songs!!” I yelled.

“I’m the star! And I’m the one who’s going to do everything to seize my moment…whatever it takes!” Chanmi said as she choked me.

I was tossed and I plummeted. I heard fainted sounds of the others calling my name and I cried. I closed my eyes and would meet my death.

But I was still alive. Someone was hugging me. I looked to see that I was hanging and that…

“Sohye-ya!!”

She panted, her arm still bleeding. “I can’t believe a gun from the death would kill me twice.”

I cried and cupped her cheek as she climbed back up. I hugged her close and we managed to get back to the top. They hugged me tight and were worried sick, all the while I witnessed Chanmi’s humiliation and second death within this world.

But I worried again as Sohye flickered and bled. Sejeong-unnie did too and fainted beside Sohye. I got closer and in between them and nudged them.

“Mina…” Sohye reached for my cheek.

“The individual photos…I dropped them…” I sniffled. “…I only have the torn group photo left…”

“It’s okay, Mina.” Sejeong-unnie smiled. “We’re running out of-*groan*-time…Ch-Chungha…”

“No! We can still find the photos-“

“Mina, it’s almost sunrise…” Sohye panted as she grabbed the buckwheat stem with her bloody hand.

“No, no…I promised...I promise I’d put up the photos of everyone…that Sejeong and Chungha unnies will see each other…and that I’d love you more than ever…” I sniffed as Sohye cupped my cheek.

“There’s no time, Mina…” Sejeong-unnie panted as she got Sohye’s stem. “I want to ask forgiveness from our family…and tell Chungha that I love her…”

I shook my head and held Sejeong-unnie’s hand tight and leaned my forehead onto Sohye’s, pleading not to let go.

“You have our blessings, Mina…” Sohye spoke and the stem lit so brightly. “…now go home…” I felt her hand by my cheek again. “I love you…”

“No, Sohye-ya…I can’t let you go…” I sniffled, my tears dropping on her face.

Sejeong-unnie had the stem and was inching it closer to me as they flickered. I huffed and spoke. “I love you too, Sohye-ya…I promise…I won’t let our family forget you again!!”


I groaned and looked up to see that I was back in the living realm, my body surrounded by the buckwheat petals. I got up and it was sunrise. I looked down and the group photo was in my hand. I looked to the side and there was the music player. With that, I grabbed it and ran back home.

I need to see Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa.

I arrived at the warehouse and heard Jihoon and Jinyoung. I also saw Yoojung and Somi but I had to go to the back. I got to the door where the two are staying when…

“Where have you been?!” Nayoung-unnie was in front of me.

“Unnie! I need to see Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa, please!” I said as I try to pass through.

Nayoung-unnie saw the music and I manoeuvred myself off and got to the room, locking the door. Nayoung-unnie was knocking hard as I got to Chungha-unnie first.

“Chungha-unnie, it’s me, Mina…” I began. “I-I saw Sejeong-unnie and Sohye-ya…and the others…remember them?”

She didn’t respond and the beeps didn’t help. Daniel-oppa was on the same and I try to convince them again. “Unnie…Oppa…please remember them. If not, they’ll be gone, forever…”

I showed her Doyeon’s music player, even Sejeong-unnie’s guitar. I also showed the picture and pointed the lost ones out, especially Sejeong-unnie and Seungwoo-oppa. “Unnie…Oppa…your other halves, remember?”

Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa weren’t responsive. I was in defeat when the door was unlocked and the others got in. Nayoung-unnie and Minhyun-oppa went frantic and comforted both of them.

‘What’s gotten into you, Mina?!” Sungwoon-oppa scolded me.

I sniffled and crouched. I felt a hand by my shoulder and hugged the owner of the body.

“I thought we lost you, Mina.” I heard Yoojung.

“We’re together now and that’s what matters,” said Somi as they all hugged me.

“Not all of us…” I mumbled.

“Rest, the two of you…” Sungwoon-oppa said. “Mina. You apologize to your brother and sister!”

I obeyed and was about to when I saw the music player. My mind was torn, all the while Sungwoon-oppa waited for it. I picked it up and got closer to the two.

“Daniel-oppa, Chungha-unnie…Sejeong-unnie and Seungwoo-oppa would want you to remember this…” I spoke and played the song.

They were all shocked but I didn’t care. This was the last chance and I had to give it a shot.

This foolishly regret-filled song
I hope it reaches the sky
My prayer that spent all night in tears
I hope it reaches your heart

I sang the song and I could see Sungwoon-oppa wanting to stop me but Nayoung-unnie blocked him. I continued singing the first two verses and was in the brink of giving up when Chungha-unnie’s fingers moved and she sang with me. I huffed and joined her as her eyes began to open and she looked at me adoringly as we sang together.

I miss you so much
Now I finally feel our space
I miss you so much
Tears are falling like this
But why didn’t I know?

I heard Daniel-oppa’s voice sing the last word. His hands moved and his eyes opened. I was so happy that I sang the chorus and the three of us sang in harmony. I saw the rest of us cry up until the last lyric.

Chungha-unnie smiled at me and I spoke to her. She sat up and I helped her up. Daniel-oppa huffed and tried to sit up as Jinyoung and Jihoon helped him. Chungha-unnie saw the rest of the girls and had her eyes set on the crybaby. “Yoodaeng…what’s wrong?”

Yoojung got closer and hugged Chungha-unnie. All of them joined in and we were in a crying fleet. The boys got Daniel-oppa on his wheelchair and we all gathered for a group hug.

“And you, Mina…” Daniel-oppa spoke as he pats my head. “…what’s wrong?”

“Nothing, Oppa. Nothing at all.” I answered.

“Sejeong used to sing that song for me, even though it was a song by Wanna One.” Chungha-unnie spoke.

“Y-Yes, unnie…” I spoke as I teared up. “Sejeong-unnie wanted you to know that she loved you so much…”

Chungha-unnie had a bit of tears and I wiped them off. I got to Daniel-oppa and said the same thing about Seungwoo-oppa.

“He really did?” He asked as he cried for a man.

“He did, Oppa.”

Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa went to grab something by their drawers. They had books. Chungha-unnie’s was pink and Daniel-oppa’s was blue. We all gathered around as they both opened them. Seeing the contents hit us.

The pink book had memories of I.O.I while the blue was of Wanna One, from the members to the songs. Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa flipped the pages, saying that the books were made throughout their promotions until disbandment, then revived from reunions and the world tour. The last pages had torn papers and I got a look at both. The pink had four and the blue had two.

It was then that I grabbed the photo and asked Somi for some tape. I got the pieces together and fit them onto the picture and there was the complete picture of both groups. With that, I saw the rest in a daze, their memories returning to them.

I looked at Sohye’s part and I smiled as I felt that part of the picture. We had our moments but it was taken down by memory lane. But with the picture, I now hold her in my heart again, no matter how far we are.

+++

A year passed and within that time, the remaining members of both groups promoted again. We sang our songs again and we were given the fame we deserve by our fans again. The mausoleum was packed with fans. For Chanmi’s, it was now a dumpster.

I was at the mausoleum with the members right after our last concert. I said my prayers and looked at the individual pictures and the group picture at the center. Despite of losing them on the death realm, I retrieved them from Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa’s stuff. Nonetheless, my eyes stopped at the picture by the right. I grabbed it and kissed it.

“You’re kissing Sohye’s picture again?” Yoojung spoke and I saw her kiss Doyeon’s.

“Look who’s talking.” I batted.

Yoojung got some frames out and placed them on the vacant spots. I saw the others coming in and we were in silence for the recent deceased ones: Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa.

Life was never fair to them. They did recover but they had gone weak throughout the passing days and died too soon. In my case, I could be happy.

They’ll see the others and their other halves again. And I hope they’ll send me greetings to my Sohye.


I could chuckle and be nervous as much as Sejeong-unnie was. The others were up ahead and have crossed the bridge. I called Doyeon and Yeunjung to hurry up, even Seungwoo-oppa and Guanlin. We got ourselves in line as we grew nervous. Doyeon and Yeunjung made it, Seungwoo-oppa and Guanlin did too. Sejeong-unnie got her turn and smiled nervously. I was last and smiled just like her.

“Individual and group.” The Heavenly Guard said. “Enjoy your visit, guys.”

We sighed in relief and went by the bridge together. I watch Sejeong-unnie and Seungwoo-oppa smile as Chungha-unnie and Daniel-oppa finally met them and they shared their hugs and kisses. In my case, I was excited. I heard the ’99 liners of both groups developed their “mind eyes”. I hope Mina can see me with such an eye.

We all held hands and crossed the bridge. I looked to see that I didn’t submerged and walked smoothly. I was giddy that I ended up running towards the others close to the living realm.

“Yay~ matchy outfits!” Kyulkyung-unnie cheered.

“We need to match the occasion, of course,” said Jisung-oppa. “Now let’s go and see our loved ones~”

I was giddy and pulled Doyeon and Yeunjung and we ran towards the warehouse. As we got in, it was a celebration.

The older brothers and sisters were preparing the meals. The younger ones had fun and played instruments as everyone sang and danced. Somi even got to the player and played our songs for Pick Me.

“Our loved ones are here~” Sungwoon-oppa said as he tried the ghost-seeing goggles on.

The ’99 liners had their “mind eyes” and we were given hugs and kisses. The older brothers and sisters got their goggles and hugged us too. My last stop was Mina.

She had gone more beautiful and went slim as I did. I saw her look at me with such beautiful eyes. I may not be alive but she sees me. I saw her reach my hand and spoke. “Let’s have our moment by the mausoleum.”

I nodded and Mina bids goodbye to all of us. Nayoung-unnie and Jisung-oppa reminded us not to come late and we nodded again and went together.

+++

It was quiet night. We were inside the mausoleum as the candles glistened around the place, the petals kissing the floors. We faced the frames, my hand beyond hers.

“It’s almost weird to see my own picture here.” I said to Mina.

“You’ll get used to it in every visit, love…” Mina answered as she hugged me.

I glided and we danced inside. I wrapped my arms around her hips and she wrapped hers around my neck as we glided. It was all fun and memorable when I stopped and kissed Mina, trying to see if she felt it. And she did as she kissed me back.

“I feel alive…” I mumbled as we broke.

Mina giggled as she kissed me again and cupped my cheeks. “Sohye-ya, I love you…”

“I love you too…” I said and hugged her.

We leaned our foreheads against each other and relive the moments we have before. With those memories and our love for each other, it’ll live on forever.

===

That was the story, guys. I hoped you enjoyed it ^^