Tempocardy

IOI Shikshins One-Shot Collection

This fanfic is based on the one-shot manga, Toki Doki, and is dedicated to a special reader who loved my stories and is celebrating a very special day.

===

I would've had a ing choice to live my life freely in this world, that I could fix any wrongdoing with an apology, sugarcoat all those indecent happenings, or even get a usual idea to reach any aspiration I could wish for.

If time was bounded as anything precious in this world, so did my life, especially the specific number of heartbeats I have that could possibly end this goddamn life of mine.

It couldn't be the truth...but this is the truth...

I was so sorry for myself.

I'm messing with y'all. How dramatic.

Anyways, I was in the second year of high school and I've recently got the gist of a new student. Her name was Kim Sohye and she was in the same classroom with me, here in a school by the remote countryside. I would gaze at her for some time and I noticed that she doesn't mingle with anyone.

Whoops. I forgot to introduce myself.

"Yah, Kang Mina! Cinnamon Roll! Baekjo!" I was out of reality when Yeonjung called me. "What the heck, Baekjo, are you even listening?! You're being called!"

My name's Kang Mina. I get a special nickname under the calling of "Cinnamon Roll" but in this institution, everyone calls me "Baekjo". It's ing weird but it almost self-explanatory, so why in Buddha's name would I explain?

I'm a normal teenager like any typical person would see everyday. I always keep my hair long. I had bangs when I was a debutant in high school but gor rid of that, and joined the light music club with the drums for an instrument.

And the cinnamon roll right now is having an interest on the cute penguin.

*tack*

"Oww..." I hissed, rubbing my back.

"What the , Baekjio?!" Yoojung stormed towards me. "I've been calling you for the umpteenth time!"

For now, I need to focus on my midget friend here, Choi Yoojung. "Sorry, what was what?"

+++

School went on like the usual. I was usually with my squad: Yeonjung, Doyeon, and Yoojung, and within those days, I always got a glimpse of the sophisticated Kim Sohye.

Not only she doesn't mingle, she doesn't talk. She goes home right away and she sits out during P.E., making the class speculate that she had personal problems or maybe she had a condition. But for now, we will never know. And with those mysteries piling up, I've taken more interest in her.

Fate had to be nutjob in the middle of July as we crossed paths.

I was going to the infirmary as I was exhausted for today. Not I only get to meet Nurse Haebin, I get to rest whenever I want to. 

"Nurse Haebin?" I called. "I'm skipping classes because I'm tired. Can I sleep on the-"

"Ahhh!!!"

I was damned and frozen on my spot. I gulped as I saw Kim Sohye...and she only had her undergarments on. 

The ...she's hot...

"Holy !" I averted my eyes. "I'm so sorry! I didn't do it on purpose! I didn't see anything!!"

I turned around, feeling the heat going up my face. I hesrd ruffling of clothes and I got my mind ed up because I didn't see anything. I saw everything!

She had a nice body, even her s were perky. I even saw her penguin-themed undergarments and even that little device by her chest that really caught my eye surrounded by the beautifully half- body.

"It's okay. You can face me now..." She spoke.

I nodded and turned around, seeing the beautifully clothed woman. I see Sohye a lot but I never thought the close proximity made my heart pound out of admiration. 

"Kang Mina." I lent a hand. "Sorry for the sudden intrusion."

She just nodded and shook my hand back. "I'm Kim Sohye."

+++

After that unexpected meeting, we had our talks in the infirmary. Sohye may be quiet but knowing her interests and a few more details, it's like I found my long lost sister. That went on until we got to the rooftop.

"Say..." I began. "...is it just me or I saw a little device by your chest?"

"That's called a pacemaker, Mina." Sohye said. "Have you heard of tempocardy?"

"Yeah. Some artist died of it years ago and now, it's well-known." I said.

"That's what it is." Sohye smiled. "Officially, just like in the case of cardiomyopathy, a weak muscle in the heart makes a particular heartbeat irregular. It's a strange disease that happens to one of the seven billion people living in this world."

"I see..." I could only nod.

"You know, they say that the amount of heartbeats of a person is decided when they're born. But a person who has this particular disease has lesser amount of heartbeats thstn anyone else." Sohye spoke as she showed an app through her phone. "The app in here coincides with the pacemaker in my chest. Check it out."

She gave her phone to me so I could get a better look. I saw a monitoring system like in a hospital and saw the ID, her pulse, and the number of beats she has left on the bottom.

"As you can see, there's almost 290 million left and it continues to decrease in number. It big but in reality, it only suffices six or seven years in my life, eight if I don't strain myself." Sohye said. "The app is for everyone. You don't need a pacemaker. You can check your own heartbeat by placing your phone by your pulse."

"Neat." I commented.

"The pacemaker in my chest is just like any regulator as it reminds me of the remaining time I have. To tell you the truth, I have no problem with health but the price is high. If you are a person with a cardiac problem, you can't risk doing strenuous activities. The more you do that, the quicker your heart beats, and the shorter your lifespan will be." Sohye added.

I could only nod, listen, then look at her. I thought to myself that she can talk but inhibition was holding her back. I had that in my memory for so long and now, I'm witnessing it. I thought it was so sad...but I know one thing, that she's aspiring to live life despite her short time.

"Sohye." I called and she listened. "I'd be damned of having this privilege to talk to you and to listen to your story. But tell me..." I look intently. "...why me?"

"I see you as a respectful and secretive person that you wouldn't spread this info like a plague. In my previous school, I had lost trust in talking to others because when I did, they spread a rumor about me. But when I saw you, I wouldn't think your a bad person to spread rumors." Sohye answered.

"Thank you for trusting me, Sohye." I said. "You had it rough, huh?" 

"Not really. If you take the short lifespan out of the big picture, everything is normal. And I'm like any person who wants to talk to people, make friends, and spend time with them and have fun like them." Sohye grinned. "If things would turn out like this, I want to live life with every second that I have left."

Such words struck me. My thoughts were right about her.

"But with the short lifespan being a dickhead, it's like speck of dust within my galaxy of dreams." Sohye added as she got up. "Forget about that, Mina. Let's go."

I could only join her. But with her life and everything, it wouldn't be bad if I confessed my love at first sight towards her, right?

"Mina, please keep this as a secret." Sohye said. "Hm? Mina?"

"Sohye-ya..." I spoke. "Were those feelings true? If they are..." I held her hand and make her look at me. "... I'll help you! I'll help you live life to the fullest and make your heartbeat like crazy!"

Sohye's 'huh?' didn't stop my eagerness. And with her little smile and nod, I could thank the cosmos for this grand opportunity. 

I'm making this work.

*sigh*...the things that I do for love...

+++

With school and personal life, I helped Sohye with deciding on everything she wanted to do. I listed it secretly so that I can keep track. Our first stop was at the beach.

"The sea!!" She screamed happily. "Mina-ya, check it out! I never thought the sea was ing huge!"

"Eh?" I wondered as I put the stuff down. "You've never been in the beach before?"

"No. It's my first." Sohye shook her head. "Ah, my heart's beating fast!" She cheered. "What do we do in the beach? Do we look for shells or something?"

"You sure are excited." I grinned. "Anyways, are you okay with this?"

"Why ask that?" Sohye asked back.

"Well, I did say that I'll help but with your heartbeat, I'm wondering if I'm doing the right thing." I answered.

"It's fine, Mina-ya. I was deciding to do it anyways. Besides..." She looked at me. "...you're the first friend I have that knows my disease and you treated me so kindly so..." She went closer and held my hands. "...thank you."

, she was gorgeous. I blushed lightly and once she lets go, I was lost in this little achievement of mine, my subconscience doing a dab.

"And I don't know much of the outside world and I didn't know what to do first so I'm really grateful, Mina-ya." She finished.

"No sweat, Sohye-ya. I'm always happy to help." I smiled.

"Speaking of which..." Sohye and I sat on the mat. "...what does the class call you? I heard them call you a Bae...?"

"Uhh... Baekjo." I answered.

"Baekjo? Swan?" I asked and she nodded. 

Great. Now she knows too.

"Well that explains you name. You're beautiful and graceful, like a swan..." Sohye chuckled and I blushed. "...it's cute, Mina. Can I call you that too?"

I felt a thump on my chest. I could watch her chuckle of the forsaken nickname. But for Sohye...I could only nod.

•••••

Time passes and summer holidays came. Mina and I moved up to the second year of high school and we spent the first phase of holidays with family.

After that, we never missed a day of spending time together. We experience a lot of heartbeating moments and did everything we could possibly think of.

Our second stop was at the amusement park. And we were riding a rollercoaster.

"Omg-we're going up, Baekjo-ya!!!" I yelled.

"How can you even say that in a happy face, Sangeo-ya?" Mina wondered.

I couldn't answer as we rode. Mina and I screamed at the top of our lungs. I could see the summit. I would've thought this is bad. And I could feel my life shortening and those heartbeats beating out of the blue. But I was so happy. And with Mina with me, I felt the happiest woman alive.

After the ride, I was so fired up, even Mina could gasp at me.

"That was fun!!" I cheered loudly while holding Mina's arm. "Let's do it again, Baekjo-ya!"

Mina was so surprised. Nonetheless, I grabbed her hand and we rode again. After the second ride, we decided to calm ourselves and walk around fhe park.

The first time meeting Mina made me believe that she'd be surprised on how different my personality was with her and when I was in school. I wanted to let her see that I'm not the weak girl, the silent and the gloomy one, but the person who talks a lot, the one who could tell a joke and the one who could humor others, especially her.

I want Mina to see that and I want her to see that my reactions are always good.

We spend the whole day in the park and in the next day, we decided to go on a food trip foe our third stop. We tried a lot of food and our shikshin spirits rose with every bite. We never thought the day ended quickly but our last trip was at the ice cream parlor.

"Which flavor do you want?" Mina asked.

"You decide, Baekjo-ya." I answered. "I haven't tried it before so I don't know what to pick."

"Lolwhut. You haven't tried ice cream?!" She asked.

"No. When I was a kid, I was told not to cool my body so cold foods were a no-no." I explained.

"Okay."  Mina nodded and faced the store clerk. "Two chocolate ice creams, please?"

I got us a table and I sat there. Mina csme back with two cups and I wowed of the delicious goodness in front of my very eyes.

"Try." Mina smiled as she gave me my cup.

I thanked her, watching her eat hers with a satisfying look. I ate mine...and boy, if this was a person, I'd take it to Antarctica, dress it into a penguin costume, and hug it for the rest of my days.

In short, the ice cream was delicious!!

"This is yummy!!" I spoke with ice cream in my mouth.

"Haha...you even have to splatter me with your saliva..." Mina laughed as she wiped herself.

I said my sorry and ate again, feeling every taste of chocolate soothe my tastebuds. I ate slowly again. Even though I wanted to just gobble everything up, I need to take concern of my health too.

I would've been taken aback of splattering at Mina, and Mina would've been taken aback of the difference of my image and personality but she only knows this side of me and she'll be the only one to know this side of me.

They say people do the unusual things for love. Maybe I'm hiding this side of me from anyone but us because I love Mina.

I wonder of her smiling at me but she looked away and blushed. I giggled lightly and I could only admire her for now.

+++

The passing days can't be helped. Each and every day was a day well spent and we had fun together. From our fourth stop at the horror house to our sixth stop at an indoor pool, it was all a memory I can never forget. I didn't keep track of those number of beats beside it didn't matter to me. What matters was that I had fun...I had fun with Mina...

Our seventh stop was at a local park where you can ride bikes for free. Mina decided to get a big bike for the two of us and I agreed. I sat at the back as Mina rode.

"Ah! I had so much fine today! I want to all those things again!" I cheered.

"Of course you do, Sangeo-ya." Mina nodded. "There's a slope ahead. Please hold on tight."

"Okay..." I nodded and wrapped my arms around Mina. "Is this okay, Baekjo-ya?"

I felt Mina stiffen lightly and watch her raise her arms, cheering loudly. I giggled and my hug on her went tighter. I saw her calm down and she held the handlebars again. 

Healthy persons' lifespans won't decrease, even though they do vigorous and strenuous activities. With that, if one does strenuous movement in a particular time, one balances it out by breathing slowly during sleep. I tried that but it's just too different. Once my pulse rises, it's hard to lower it. It would cost me my life...

...but I can't think of it because of Mina...and it makes me happy that she eases my worries in a way I can never explain.

"We've been moving around all day, Sangeo-ya. Do your parent know about this?" Mina asked.

"Yes. When they found out about it, they were devastated but they understood and told me to live life and do things that I want." I said. "Right now, I'm so happy...although it's a bit sad..." 

"I see..." Mina said. "Sangeo-ya..."

I heard her say it and I hug her tighter. I could almost cry. I can't feel love. I'll go crazy. And Mina? She can't feel that because I'll just disappear only God can know when...

"I love you, Sohye..." Mina said. "Always remember that."

I had to control it. I could only stay quiet. But then...

"Don't say it." I said. "Please don't say it again..."

I felt bad. I felt idiotic to never admit the fact that I love her too. I made Mina into an idiot.

"Are you misunderstanding something, Sangeo-ya?" Mina asked. "Sorry for that. Just forget about it."

"Okay." I nodded for it was better that way.

"There's a fireworks display tomorrow. You should come with me." Mina said.

"Of course I'll come, Baekjo-ya." I smiled. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Then it went quiet. We arrived at the finishing point and walked back home. While walking, I smiled while holding Mina's hand.

"Thanks for everything, Baekjo-ya." I said.

"Anything for you, Sangeo-ya." Mina smiled back.

I could only hold her hand tight. I hope she sees this as a gesture that she's not an idiot...and that I love her too.

+++

Summer vacation passed quickly and it was now another year in high school. School life went with the usual and I was still hanging out with Mina. 

One day, we were walking and we stopped by the benches to rest. Mina was looking at me.

"What's that?" Mina asked as she pointed on my forehead. "Is that a guitar pick? Don't tell me you play guitar?"

"A little..." I answered. "When I was young, I wanted to be an artist." I point at the clip. "This is the first pick that Appa bought for me. It's penguin-themed. I used to compose songs, write poems, and practice singing...but I had to give it up."

"Why? It's such a waste not harnessing talents, Sangeo-ya. You're even in the brink of composing songs."

"I know, but-"

"Can you sing for me?" Mina asked. "I want to listen."

"No!" I batted back.

"Come on, Sangeo-ya. Everyone needs to listen to that kind of talent." Mina said.

"Well, it's the last thing I would do." I said again.

"Think of it, Sangeo-ya." Mina said again. "Isn't this a once in a lifetime chance to feel excited? I know you're shy and all but playing your composed songs for an audience is part of practice and part of youth. Since you went to trouble in composing your songs, isn't this a once in a lifetime chance to play them?"

I could kick Mina's for her suggestions. But seeing her kneel, pout, and saying please, I had no options of backing out.

"Fine." I sighed. "But after the lunch break."

+++

We got to the band room of Mina's light music club. She got the guitar and speaker ready and I got to the pedestal. I got my pick, held the guitar against my body with the strap, and stared at Mina.

"I'm only doing this once, okay? Don't laugh!" I said.

"Don't worry, Sangeo-ya. I won't." Mina assured her.

"Then..." I breathed and strummed the intro.

Mina's mouth was agape. I could only sigh in my mind as I sang.

I can’t fall asleep today somehow
I don’t wanna go home if I’m like this
It’s a good day today somehow
You’re always by my side

Do you know? I know everything
If you talk to me so only I can hear
I remember how I used to be lonely
How I hated to be alone

There’s not much time left
Until you can have me tonight
It’s not impossible so come closer
It’s a secret story that only we know

I can’t fall asleep today somehow
I don’t wanna go home if I’m like this
It’s a good day today somehow
You’re always by my side

I heard a good beat of a drum set. I saw Mina joinig me. I could only smile as I continued to strum until it ended. I wowed of Mina. She was so good with the drums.

"You are a star, Sangeo-ya." Mina smiled. "That wad the best voice I've ever heard.

I thanked her for that. But then, that smile was different. I wonder what was up when Mina went closer to me and held my shoulders. 

"Stay here. I'll be back." Mina said.

I didn't move a muscle as she ran outside. I sighed.

I wonder what she's up to?

•••••

"Who are they?" Sohye asked me.

"This is Choi Yoojung, our bassist." I pointed my members one by one. "Yoo Yeunjung, in charge of keyboard, then Kim Doyeon, lead guitarist and a childhood friend." I then point at Sohye. "Everyone, this is Kim Sohye and believe me, she's a good singer."

Sohye wss obliged to meet everyone and the rest were obliged to meet Sohye. 

"Sing again...in front of them." I said to Sohye.

"No! Never!!" Sohye yelped.

"Please~" I pouted and knelt.

"Is this why you dragged us in here, Baekjo?!" Yoojung asked.

"Seriously, what's going on?" Yeunjung asked.

"I don't know where this is going," said Doyeon.

"You'll know once you sing." I said to them then faced Sohye again. "And you'll understand if you sing. Please, Sangeo-ya?"

"Ah, jeez... I'll do it already..." Sohye said as she hot ready.

My subconscience dabs in every direction. I sat with the rest of the members and we listen to Sohye sing the same song. I saw Dodaeng gasp and Yeunjung wowed. I could join her, my heart pounding with love. 

Sohye's voice was soothing like silk. It tugged in iur hearts and it was like a charm that was drawing us closer. For me, it soothed my heart and soul. It tughed my heart with adoration and it was drawing me closer to the fact that I love Sohye.

Sohye ended and I stood and clapped. The others joined in.

"Wow, that was phenomenal. It gave me goosebumps." Yeunjung said.

"You have a wonderful voice, Sohye." Yoojung applauded.

"Right?! Right?! Isn't it amazing?!" I asked the gals and they nodded.

"Thanks..." Sohye bowed lightly.

"Sangeo-ya." I held Sohye's hands. "Will you join our club and be a vocalist in our band?"

"But..." Sohye mumbled.

"Let's join the Winter Jam this November." Yeunjung suggested. "We already have the covers settled. With Sohye's voice and our skills, we can win this."

"That's a good idea." Yoojung cheered. "It's been a while since we had a vocalist." 

"Yeunjung here used to sing as good as you, Sohye." Doyeon began. "But thyroid cancer had to be a and she loses her singing voice. Now, she's into the keyboard. Mina tried to do that but she at it."

"Haha..." I reacted and faced Sohye. "We welcome you to perform, Sangeo-ya. Artist Kim Sohye and '99 band's first performance!" I let her have a certain point of view. "What do you say? Wanna do it?"

"Okay." Sohye said.

We cheered. I was happy that Sohye can join us and that she starts to mingle and have me and my group as her friends.

I smiled sadly. To the least, I get to see Sohye happy.

+++

With school comes out practices for the Winter Jam. We march ourselves to work extremely hard for our practice sessions to gain victory for the Winter Jam.

Sohye had her composition and a little bit of our covers to form one good song. As we got our lyrics and our melody, we wrote the music score for the band version of our song. We tried practicing it once. We would fail sometimes. But even though there was no assurance of a sure win performance, we pushed onto it everyday.

We also had our open forums and Sohye managed to share her disease to my members. I'm glad everyone understood and supported her, especially Doyeon. With that, we had better understanding and better flow of practices. 

And when the day was done, Sohye and I went home together. 

"The breeze has starting to get colder." Sohye initiated conversation."

"You're right." I chuckled. "It feels like a past few months were a dream and I never thought I'd be practicing with the team, now with you in it."

"I coyl thank you for that, Baekjo-ya." Sohye said as she faced me. "And it had to do the fact that you saw me half-."

"Omg-you shouldn't be thankful of that." I coughed lightly, blushing hard.

Sohye was still facing me and we stopped. I looked to the side and we were by her house. I escorted her until we got to the door. 

"See you at the Winter Jam, Baekjo-ya." Sohye said as she grinned.

"You too, Sangeo-ya." I answered.

I was leaving when I felt a hand holding mine. I looked back and Sohye was interlocking our fingers. I drew closer until out faces were almost inches apart.

"Sohye... Sangeo-ya..." I could only mumble as I draw even closer.

"Mina... Baekjo-ya..." She mumbled back.

*snap*

Sohye smiled lightly and moved away. She waves goodbye and went inside. I had my cute crescent eyes dilated and my cheeks flushed hard, even my weary heart wad beating out of love again.

I could walk home dancing happily. This is probably the most exciting point in my life.

+++

It was now the Winter Jam. We got to the place as we waited for out turn. I was sitting while banging my drumsticks when I saw Sohye pacing around.

"Uhh... I'm so nervous. It's almost time and we're next!" Sohye said.

"Calm down, Sangeo-ya." I said.

"What you're saying is almost impossible." Sohye huffed. "Since this morning, my heart's beating like an alarm bell. I would've thought that it was going ti pop out of my chest."

"Aigoo...such a waste of lifespan..." I sighed. "Sangeo, why don't you go and get some fresh air at the veranda?"

Sohye nodded and went there. I was getting to follow her when a hand stopped me.

"Mina." Doyeon called.

"What?" I asked, facing her.

"Don't push yourself too much, Baekjo." Doyeon answered.

I sighed. "Ah... I'll be fine, Doyeon."

"No! Ah! Baekjo-ya! Baekjo-ya!!" I heard Sohye scream. 

We all rushed to Sohye's aid. I looked at her and noticed something gone on her hairpin. "Where's your pick?"

Sohye was in the brink of crying. I comfort her. "You lost it?"

"I don't know where it blew off." Sohye said. "What should I do? That's was a very important pick. I was planning to use it during the performance as a lucky charm."

"But...the performance of the preceding competitor is almost over. We need to prepare." Yoojung said. "Don't worry, Sohye. I'll lend you another pick you can use."

"But-"

"Alright!" I stopped their discussion. "I'm looking for it."

"Yah, Baekjo!" Doyeon stopped me. 

"I won't be long!" I assured Doyeon. "I'll be right back. I'll find it so guys need to prepare."

+++

I went outside and looked up the veranda. I check where the wind was blowing and it went close to some bushes. I huffed and went there to look for the pick.

The bushy area was wide. Nonetheless, I went to look for the pick, crouching like a predator. I could hear the excitement of the people around. It was really exhilarating...and so did my breathing.

I felt myself sweat bullets. Not only that, my vision was grtting blurry. But I didn't give up and continued to search for it until I found it.

"Yes!" I cheered.

I wiped my sweat off and went back to the arena when Doyeon stopped me. 

"Mina!" She spoke sternly. "You're not joining the competition. If you want to give the pick to Sohye, I'll be doing it for you." She lends a hand.

I huffed again and nodded. I gave it to her and said. "Just make sure you perform well..."

"We will, buddy." Doyeon said, her eyes teary. "Now go home and rest...literally..."

I laughed of Doyeon's state as she left. But no, I need to make the time count. And besides, I want to listen to Sohye sing.

I sighed and went to the rooftop so that I can get a good spot to listen to Sohye...

•••••

"Sohye." I saw Doyeon arriving. "It seems Mina found your pick."

"Really?"

She got it in her hand as she went closer and gave it to me. "Here. Baekjo said I need to give it to you."

"I'm so relieved. I thought I won't be able to bring it back again." I said happily. "But where's Baekjo-ya?"

Doyeon sighed. "Sohye...Mina won't be coming."

"Huh?" I reacted. "What's that supposed to mean? Did she go to the toilet? It's almost time-"

"Sohye..." Doyeon faced me. "...Mina won't be performing with us. She won't be on stage."

"But why?" I asked. "Who'll be our drummer?"

"I will." Doyeon said and Yeunjung and Yoojung gave sad looks at me.

"I don't understand..." I said.

"She didn't tell you, huh?" Doyeon asked. "Sohye, Mina..."

I listened and when Doyeon said it, I felt the world fall in my feet. I could only hear our band name being called and I ran away, tears lingering on my face.

I need to go. I need to go and look for Mina...

+++

I ran as my blurry vision searched for Mina. I was huffing but I didn't​ care and looked for her everywhere. My last stop was at the rooftop and there she was, looking at the sunset. 

"Baekjo-ya!" I called.

Mina faced me and she gave me a questionable look. "Sangeo-ya...why are you so pale?"

I could only cry as I aim my phone at Mina. I gasped as I saw her info on the said app, her ID, her pulse, and the amount of beats she has that made my legs turn to jelly.

She was like me...but she only had 2462 beats left...and the numbers kept decreasing...

"W-Why...?" I asked as I cried.

"I see...Doyeon has told you, huh?" Mina faced me. "I only have almost 30 minutes left..."

I couldn't move. She moved closer and sighed, looking at me. 

"When my parents found out I had this disease, they did everything and anything just to attach the forsakenly expensive device on my chest. They told me to use the remaining time I have to do things thst make me happy...even if it means losing theirs...when they'll lose me..."

"Baekjo-ya..." My tears flowed harder. "Why didn't you..."

"If I told you, I sweat to God that you'll hold back." Mina said. "I was surprised someone had the same disease as me, you even shared to me of all you've felt in dealing such an unexpected predicament. I was like you too, Sangeo-ya..." She went closer and held my hand. "...the day to die is always inevitable so I made most of the remaining time to live life to the fullest of excitement. I dyed my hair in a shade of brown and formed a band with my friends..." She cupped my face. "...and I got to know love thanks to you..."

I could only feel Mina's hands on my face as she wipes my tears. My tears didn't stop...and Mina didn't stop wiping them.

"That's why I want you to cheer you on..." Mina smiled at me. "...because of you, I learned to fully live my life through your love..." I felt her kiss my forehead. "...thank you, Sohye...my Sangeo-ya..."

"You idiot..." I mumbled as I cried harder.

"I was supposed to join you, and I wanted to...but with all the running, I'm like a tired engine. I'm sorry I can't be with you on stage..."

I hugged her close to me, my arms circling around her build. I was weeping and Mina hugged me back, shushing me. 

"I will be with you..." I looked up at her. "... I'll be beside you, Baekjo-ya..." I wept harder. "I won't leave you. I'll stay here..."

"But we worked so hard on the band. You're not backing out, okay?" Mina made me look at her. "No matter whar happens, I'll be listening from here. Isn't it exciting to perform to a sea of people and let them listen your voice? That's why..."

She looked at me and inched to kiss me. I huffed and cried as I kiss her back. As she broke...

"...I love you. Now let me hear you sing."

+++

I got back to the backstage as Doyeon waitef, holding a pair of drumsticks. 

"Are you done?" Doyeon asked.

"Yes." I nodded.

"Let's go." Doyeon escorts me and we got to the stage.

I got to the center, seeing lights and a sea of people. I huffed as I calmed. I need to do my best. I need to sing well...

For Mina...

Doyeon played the drums and all of us connected through our music. I played well as I inhaled.

I am finding out that maybe I was wrong
That I've fallen down and I can't do this alone

Stay with me, this is what I need, please?
 
Why didn't I say it to her? How could I just let it slip?

Sing us a song and we'll sing it back to you
We could sing our own but what would it be without you?

I am nothing now and it's been so long
Since I've heard the sound, the sound of my only hope

This time I will be listening.
 
Mina had to be the one thete and listening to me but she would be the first one to let go. Why? Why didn't I listen enough?

Sing us a song and we'll sing it back to you
We could sing our own but what would it be without you?

This heart, it beats, beats for only you
This heart, it beats, beats for only you

This heart, it beats, beats for only you
My heart is yours
 
Why couldn't I say that my heart belonged to Mina before everything was too late? 
 
Yeunjung did the metallic scream and everyone was connecting to this song. I cried as I continued to sing. 
 
I have to sing. I have to sing for Mina.

This heart, it beats, beats for only you
My heart is yours
(My heart, it beats for you)

This heart, it beats, beats for only you (It beats, beats for only you)
My heart is yours (My heart is yours)

This heart, it beats, beats for only you (Please don't go now, please don't fade away)
My heart, my heart is yours (Please don't go now, please don't fade away)

(Please don't go now, please don't fade away) My heart is yours
(Please don't go now, please don't fade away) My heart is yours
(Please don't go, please don't fade away)
(Please don't go now, please don't fade away) My heart is...

The music died and everyone was cheering. For me, my tears kept flowing. 

I love you too, Mina...I hoped you like my singing...

===

Ah...such a beautiful voice...

I'm the most idiotic person in the universe. I should've kissed her longer...

I, Kang Mina, left the world at age 17, dead after the performance of my band, my body found at the rooftop, and the expression left on my face was an idiotic one.

When the events, my band members and Sohye graduated high school. Everyone in the band went on their walks of life and Sohye aspired on her dream as a songwriter.

Her voice became a hot topic overnight and society loved her works, just as much as I always did. She announced her illness to everyone and sang songs that have life and sense of hope to others. 

She kept singing for the past years with all her heart and soul, up until her last concert where she reunited with my band members and around 40,000 people came to witness a voice that always deserves love. And at the end of the rainbow, her parents took csre of her until her last breath...

My love, Kim Sohye, died at the age of 21, dead after being confined in a hospital, her body all pale and cold, but the expression left on her face was a very satisfied one.

And with that, I know that she lived her dream, her life all satisfied and well...

===

That was the one-shot, everyone. I hoped you liked it.

@Agyusshi: Heto na ang birthday gift mo, bes! Happy Birthday~

And keep the requests coming, everyone.