5.

Would you let me?

 

 

"Didn't Hansol hyung said meet at the auditorium? Why uncle Johnny wants us at the soccer field now?" Ten gets up and pulled Yuta with him.

"Damn not there." Yuta creaked. "The captain..."

"You are banned from the soccer field too?" Ten is controlling his laughter.

Yuta broodingly nods.

 

Hansol feels so sorry for Yuta that he told everyone to meet at the cafeteria instead and even bought them pizza. At least he doesn't have to stay at school till late watching bland football games he isn't interested too. This is somewhat a celebration.

"Ten is rich but he is stingy as heck it's embarrassing." Johnny sneered when he saw Ten munching at the pizza.

"What? He buys me food." Winwin defended.

"Eh? That's because you don't eat breakfast and you're so thin. It will be my responsibility to nurse you if you pass out since I'm your roommate!" Ten justifies.

"Ddaeng!" Winwin made an error sound. "No concern detected."

"I'm here." Taeyongs ruffled Winwin's hair

Everyone at the table laughs, except for Yuta of course. "Is this meeting important?"

 


=> From: 10

CALM THY

 

 

Yuta sent him a questioning look but Ten isn't looking at him.

 

 

To: 10
whats this for

=> From: 10

X send sorry.

 

"I think we should do the ethics project together. Let's have fun since Taeil's birthday is coming soon." Hansol said.

"Where do we go?" Taeil asked.

"What project is this?" Ten asked.

"The friendship day project, asshat." Doyoung says.

"What's friendship day project asshat." Jaehyun mutters.

"Is this about the photo album diary project?" Taeyong butts in.

Johnny nodded. "I don't have any other friends so let's do it altogether. Mr. Choi would be pleased. Jungwoo is joining too."

"Who's Jungwoo?" Jaehyun and Ten chorused.

"Me." Jungwoo raised a hand. He has yet to met everyone but is good friends with Doyoung.

"Taeil's cousin."

The diary project was for the incoming friendship day event from their ethics class. Only one teacher handles the said subject so it's the same concept even if they come from different classes. They just have to take pictures of themselves having fun with their bestfriends and write a short yet meaningful essay about it. The more emotional, the higher grade you get.

"I think he knows we don't have girlfriends so he keep on making us do this every year. Mind you, he's single too though." Ten blabbers.

"Is that important?" Johnny argues.

"Let's go to Hawaii." Jaehyun suggests.

"Let's go to New Zealand." Backs up Winwin.

"Be more realistic, children." Doyoung snaps.

"Let's swim?" Taeil adds.

"Hyung will wear bikinis." Jungwoo clapped his hand.

"In this weather?" Yuta wanted to choke him.

"Ten hyung's villa in Thailand that could fit 100 people." Jaehyun says again.

"We're only 10." Winwin argues.

Everybody stopped arguing after that when Hansol sighed loud. "Amusement park will be good too since none of you are amusing."

"Ok, punny." Johnny adds. "I like that, though. Ok, let's do that. On Saturday."

"Am I included here?" Yuta wonders.

"You don't want to?" Doyoung retorts. "Raise your hand if you don't want to do this project. Well, I just need to get this over with."

"Then pair up with Jaehyun. He's the only one you don't bicker with. I don't want to be partners with you." Johnny says honestly.

"Neither do I." Doyoung nods.

Jaehyun gave them two thumbs up.

"I'll go with Hansol. Jungwoo and Taeil are both old school so let's have them paired. " Johnny announced. "Ten, you go with Yuta. And Taeyong with Winwin. Any complaints?"

"Ok." Winwin two thumbs up.

"I'm fine with it." Taeyong smiled.

"That's no fun." Ten squabbled about, looking at Yuta then to Johnny. "How about Yuta and Taeyong are partners. And me and you."

"Okay since you complained I'm in it for the fun. This is imposed. You get partner up with someone you dislike. " Johnny stood up and points at everyone. "Me and Doyoung. Jaehyun and Hansol hyung--"

"I like Hansol hyung." Jaehyun cuts him.

"Silence." Johnny rolled his eyes. "Yuta and Winwin. Ten and Taeyong and Taeil with Jungwoo."

"I'm still partnered with him?" The latter said.

"I'm not going." Yuta says.

"Then I'll go with Taeyong hyung!" Winwin raised a hand.

Ten pulled Yuta back to his seat. "Let's do it. Food's on me." He told everyone.

"Woah. Someone's showing off. Make sure to invite Seulgi on Saturday." Johnny clapped.

"Nah, I saw him at the arcade last night. He won a bet." Jungwoo informs.

"Why are we planning this so early? It's like 2 weeks from now." Jaehyun asked.

"Last year we went to the plaza and used Johnny's dying camcorder and all of us get a C. Want an encore?" Hansol cringed at the memory.

"But... Taeyong hyung dislike me?" Ten asked after a sudden realisation.

Yuta lies his head on the table and stares at Taeyong beside him before muttering "A lot." And earned a pinch on his side.

"That hurts." Yuta groaned, earning a questioning look from the others.

Taeyong ignored him the whole day because of that.

 

Wednesday is practice day. Yuta did his best to avoid the football players and tiptoed to the next hallway. His science book awkwardly covering his face when he bumped onto Taeyong on the lockers.

"Hyung." Yuta whispered and pulled Taeyong so he's hiding on his back.

"W--what are you doing?!" Taeyong hits Yuta on the neck once the younger let's him go.

Yuta sighed in relief. "You saved me."

"They saw you. They were looking." Taeyong rolled his eyes. "If you don't want to talk to your captain, I will."

"And what are you gonna say?" Yuta challenged.

"That you'll never miss a game ever again." Taeyong starts. "You're their best player, I'm sure they just want you back in the team."

Yuta smiled at him. "Didn't you want me to quit before?"

"Still do." Taeyong mutters.

"You're pouting again it's cu---"

"All lovey-dovey blocking the hallways isn't exactly nice to see." Doyoung walked passed them.

"Lee Taeyong? Taeyong?"

Yuta and Taeyong looks at the guy that's with Doyoung, Jungwoo.

"Yeah?" Taeyong asked.

"Oh. Do you remember me?"

"Huh?" Taeyong studies his face and came up with an answer. "No. Sorry."

"Oh I'm---"

"No time for that." Doyoung pulled Jungwoo on the collar and the latter just waved goodbye at them.

Yuta was watching closely. "He knows you?"

Taeyong shrugs. "I don't remember."

"Probably someone from our previous school?" Yuta suggest.

He didn't fail to notice the way Taeyong looks blankly at the door of his locker. But shook it off when the older just smiled at him. "Probably?"

Yuta forgot what he's about to say.

"Did you eat?" Taeyong asked.

"I--I was gonna ask you that."

"Why didn't you?" Taeyong laughed.

Yuta forgots what he's about to say again. Maybe he's too fed up thinking about his failing history class and avoiding his football captain.

"Hmm?"

"I-- no. Let's eat?"

 

 

 

 


Thursday afternoon, Ten was grinning at him wide when they bumped into each other at the rooftop. "Who's this rare pokemon." He jokes.

"A hot pokemon." Yuta snorts.

"Bipolar jack as --"

"Don't call me that." Yuta punches him hard on the shoulder. Silence. He asked "Something the matter?"

"I should be asking you that. What is it again?" Ten placed a hand on Yuta's back.

"You first." Yuta insists.

"I miss home." Ten suddenly blurts. "How come you're so used to it?"

Yuta elbowed him. "Don't give up on it. You have two years left until you can pursue your dancing career. Many universities will die to get you."

"I shouldn't have made a promised. Right. What if I can't---"

"You have all the potential, you can do it." He said. "Just act decent and fix that attitude of yours."

"Coming from you?!" Ten slapped his arm. "What's up?"

Yuta couldn't exactly figure what's going on but he needs someone to talk to about it. "It's just---lately. Taeyong."

Ten hummed as if he knew what Yuta was thinking all along.

"He seemed off. Like, he.... It's nice that he's the person that he is now. But.. I don't know what he's thinking anymore. He's gotten..obscure ." Yuta couldn't find the right words to explain it but he hopes Ten understands.


"Was he better off back then?" Ten asked.

Yuta hesitantly nods. "He didn't have a lot of worries. Like, back then.. if he doesn't talk, he probably just fought with his sister or his mom. Or when he couldn't sleep, that would be because Ruby is sick. But now, I don't know anymore."

"What makes you think that?" Ten asked curious. "Something happened to him?"

"I--I guess." Yuta wonders too. "When we went back to, we saw her ex. She was holding hands with a guy and staring back at us. Taeyong saw her before I do. And then he just pulled me out of the place.
"

"She's cheating?" Ten raised an eyebrow.

"N--no. I don't know. Taeyong told me they broke up before he transferred here. He dated a lot but I've never seen him that affected because of an ex." Yuta says a matter-of-factly. "Since we got back from Seoul, I doubt he's gotten proper sleep. I always find him awake at night."

"Did you ask him why?" Ten asked. He noticed how Taeyong looks unhealthy lately too, if the bags under his eyes isn't proof enough.

Yuta shook his head.

"Then do so." Ten says confidently. "He could be needing someone to talk to and not know how. Because if anything, it's you. You're someone he trusts a lot. Make yourself reliable for him.Show him you care."

Yuta looks at Ten and nods in agreement. "I think something happened between Dahyun and Taeyong."

"You think he likes her a lot? Like not just like but love? Maybe that's why he's still affected. Because he seemed like it."

Yuta finds it hard to swallow the lump in his throat and denies it. "He dates everyone that likes him. I doubt he even have one bit of interest on them-."

"What." Ten blurts. "Think he's still a child who leaves his heart at home before coming to school because he thinks he doesn't need it? Dude, we're like 17. At this age, we get to have the feeling that is more than infatuation. Think about how you felt when you met Seul--- when you met the person who want to grow old with. Don't deny it. I know you have someone in mind."

Yuta figures he has to think about what Ten said.

 

 

=> From: princess
Go home without me and gather the laundry before it rains

=> From: princess
I'm gonna study with

 

 

It wasn't a mistake that the sentence was incomplete. Maybe he scowled too much because when Hansol sits beside him on the bus, the older tapped him on the forehead and said "Penny for your thoughts."

Yuta only hummed in response and rest his head on the window. He knows Hansol isn't one to push someone to speak and the older is quite and very gentle.

"Listen, Yuta. You aren't getting paid for keeping things to yourself." Hansol tells him.

"The two of us. We'd be rich." Yuta says.

"And you still can't buy the love you want to have."

Yuta wanted to ask what's that supposed to mean but he wants the conversation over more.


When he gets back to his apartment. He quickly collects the laundry and suddenly feels bad of the amount of clothes. Taeyong will have to iron and fold them all. Yuta can't do anything like that. To kill time, he tries to and immediately gives up when he couldn't even find the iron. Taeyong will kill him if any of their organized stuffs are moved so he quits.

=> From: princess

I asked Ten to buy you dinner. Is he there yet


Yuta rolled his eyes and changed his clothes quickly before dialling Ten. "Hey where do you live again. Give me your full adr---"

Ten who was about to knock, welcomed him right when he opened the door.

"Where is he?"

"He's studying with Winwin on our dorm." Ten says and pulled Yuta back inside, locking the door behind him. "Wait---wait. They're with Doyoung."

"Oh."

Ten nods and raised the paper bag he's holding. "I got them bingsoo for you. Someone's head needs chilling."

Yuta didn't hide his excitement on the iced dessert. "He asked you to buy me food?"

"He asked me to leave my own apartment and buy you food." Ten corrects. "Don't think too much about it. I heard they're waiting for Taeil too."

"What's with the sudden group study?"

"That one's legit. Unlike us whose group study amounts to drinking."

"Can't they study on their own."

"Why are you getting mad at me." Ten says, offended. "But hey."

Yuta gladly catch the stick of cigar Ten impishly tossed at him. Throwing the younger a smirk. "Let's do it outside. Don't want it to smell here."

"Fine whipped weed."

 

 

Yuta didn't listen to what Johnny said about the pairing for their project. Instead, when they were about to part to start their picture taking, he took out his phone and pulled Taeyong to his arms. Smiling brightly and telling Taeyong to do the same when he took a picture of them together.

"Taeyong and I are done. We're going home." Yuta announced, pulling Taeyong on the wrist.

"Wow, this -stick is really impossible." Johnny mumbles and pulled Taeyong to him.

Yuta seemed offended and pulled Taeyong back, hiding the older on his back. "Do not provoke me cheese titan."

"Is he always like this." Jungwoo asked Ten.
"Keep quiet, chicken head."

The banter didn't end for a good five minutes until Doyoung yelled at everyone to stop. The others looked confused though, especially Jaehyun who seemed hurt by the way his hyungs diss one another.

"If Yuta hyung don't wanna do it with me, it's fine." Winwin told everyone. There's pain in his voice.

"Yuta and Taeyong can go together since their legit bff. Johnny is awful for his idea, honestly." Hansol rolled his eyes.

Johnny nodded because he agree. "Then Ten can go with Winwin. Since they are roommates, it'll be more convincing right."

"Moving out soon." Ten waved his hand on his face.

"And since Hansol hyung used the word "legit". Johnny adds.

"Let's take a group shot before anyone gets hurt!" Jaehyun enthusiastically said, fixing his monopod. To his surprise, everyone is smiling bright at the hundred group photo he took.

 

 


Yuta sits there and wonder why. If he hadn't pulled Taeyong to the library with him, the older would've just ignored him. Although not totally ignored, but Taeyong just smiled and wave at him when they met at the hallways and what the heck was that.

Taeyong, too, didn't seem like he's gonna talk any sooner so Yuta just made him do something since the atmosphere is cruelly awkward.

"Why am I writing an essay about me when you should be doing it?" Taeyong complained.

He is the subject of Yuta's friendship diary and he didn't expect the younger will make him write the essay on his own.

"Hyung, I can't even write a proper sentence in English. How am I supposed to--"

"Eh. Calling me hyung when you need something. Seriously, Yuta." Taeyong gave up.

"Yuta hyung! Taeyong hyung!" Jungwoo greets them and flopped on the seat next to Taeyong.

Yuta watches him carefully before greeting back. "Yo, face masked goblin."

Jungwoo looked offended for a second then turned to Taeyong. "But really hyung, you don't remember me?"

Taeyong watches Jungwoo blinks. He wishes he didn't met him.

"We did the team building together! I'm in the same class with Dahyun. I---oh--sorry." Jungwoo bit his lip at the mention of the name. The whole school knows about their break up.

Taeyong looks away and tried to focus on his essay. Unaware of Yuta studying his face. "It's fine."

"I---should leave." Jungwoo bowed at them before walking out.

It was on the tip of Yuta's tongue. To ask what's bothering Taeyong all this time but he opts to say, "If you don't want to talk to him, you don't have to."

"I--it's not that." Taeyong looks so dejected.

And Yuta only watches him leave.

 


"Hey nugget."

As much as the mocking feels so familiar, Winwin is still shook at the nicknames Ten always come up to to address him. He didn't hide the sour look on his face for everyone at the lobby to see.

"What is it again Cheeta !" Winwin palmed his face when Ten sat beside him and took his notebook.

"Have you eaten?" Winwin nods. "I got a question."

Winwin smiled bashfully when Ten handed him a bar of chocolate and puts it in his coat pocket.

"You..... have the hots for Taeyong right?" Ten wriggles hid eyebrows.

"Don't we all." Winwin says blankly.

"Yes-- I mean, no!" Ten sounds defensive. "Not like your lust."

Winwin grinned wide and playfully winked at Ten. "Yeah, let's take care of that." He said and left Ten in awe.

 


Yuta patiently waits in their apartment. He wouldn't be surprise if the people living below will come knocking since he's been tapping his feet on the floor for good hours now. It's the 4th time of the week Taeyong didn't went home with him and only tells him he's going to study with Winwin. And Doyoung, sometimes.

So when he picked up Taeyong the next day on his P.E class, it irks him to see the older fixing Winwin's neck tie.

Or the next day when Winwin walked Taeyong in front of their apartment and he sees them tickling each others sides and the sound of their laughter stings onto Yuta's ears.

"We're going to stu---"

"Again?" Yuta didn't mean to yell, but the older just got back to their apartment and he's leaving again.

He's jealous because Taeyong spends more time with Winwin than his own bestfriend. That's all. Also, because Ten said Taeyong cooks for them in their dorm when he visits at night. He hasn't taste Taeyong's dish for awhile now since the older is never home until midnight. Yuta would just opt to order tasteless dinner from nearby restaurants or not eat at all. Mostly, he doesn't find it funny when Winwin is touchy with Taeyong. What if the people at school would think something weird is going on between them? He simply don't want Taeyong to be judged defenseless.

"Can't he study on his own?"

"We have a homework on---"

"Can't he do that on his own? And why are you so touchy with him? What if the school thinks you two--"

"What are you on about!" Taeyong scowled at him. He wanted to keep his calm but the way Yuta is interrogating him gets to his nerves."Why do you keep on bullying him!? You and Ten!"

"I'm not bullying him! And stop dragging Ten!" Yuta retorts, defensive.

"Yes you are!" Taeyong accused. "Then what do you call this? Is it so fun scorning him?!"

"I'm only protecting you! He could be taking advantage of you! Winwin is gay! The whole school knows!" Yuta glowers at him.

Taeyong paused for a moment and lowers his voice. "Then? And if he is? What has he done to you?"

Yuta was put to silence. He didn't mean to blabber regarding this. It wasn't necessary. He should've keep his composure and avoided this topic.

"So all along, you are harassing him for being gay? Is that what you're doing? Is it fun?!" Taeyong chides.

Yuta couldn't speak when Taeyong is mad like this.

"Didn't you feel disappointed the most when I was a bully? Do you want people to degrade you the same way it happed to me when karma bit back? I changed for you, Yuta. The last thing I want is to see you showing the person that I was on my face. I don't want you to feel the same way I did when the whole world turned it's back against me."


Taeyong's voice cracked at the last part. He couldn't help but disclose this topic. He didn't like the way Yuta treats Winwin. He might have done this several times to his targets before, but the guilt awaiting wouldn't let him sleep. He just doesn't want Yuta to regret anything. And what he didn't expect, was to see Yuta in tears.

"I just...want you to stay the night. With me. Is that so much to ask for?"

And Taeyong stays.

 

 

 

 

________ 

What is angst