4.

Would you let me?


"It's fine, Yuta hyung. I'll take care of----"

"Taeyong?" Yuta demands an answer as to why he wouldn't tell him he's sick.

"I'll be fine. You can go to your game now." Taeyong gave him a reassuring smile that had Yuta quiet for a second.

Winwin took the sports bag from the table, handing it to Yuta. "Yeah your fans are waiting for you at the field. Four of them. Johnny, Hansol hyung, Jaehyun and Doyoung because Jaehyun forced him. You can go no--"

"How bad is it?" Yuta asked Taeyong again.

"It's not that--"

"Yeah it's not that bad. Let me take care of----"

Yuta successfully pushed Winwin out of their apartment and ignored Taeyong's protest of "Don't hurt him!", locking the door behind his back and ignoring Winwin's knock and shouting. He walks towards Taeyong and pulled the older to the bed, making him sit down.

"I told you I'm fi---"

"Don't give me that. I'm not going to the game. I'll take care of you." Yuta announced, arms folded in his chest trying to look intimidating.

Taeyong is intimidated. "If you're really worried Winwin can take care of---"

Yuta sighed exasperated, palming his face.

"You should now. Your team is waiting for you." Taeyong insist but felt guilty when he saw the worried look on the younger's face. "I--I'm sorry. I know this game is important to you and--"

"It's not as important as you are to me, Taeyong." Yuta blurts out, his eyes falling on the ground when he saw Taeyong looking at him with big eyes.

"I'm really sorry." Taeyong felt like crying. He saw how Yuta worked hard on his practices for this game and now he had to miss it because Taeyong caught a cold.

 

Tonight, Yuta realises Taeyong and him are nothing alike when it comes to looking after another. He remembers how Taeyong would nurse him when he's ill. And now, he can't even make a proper porridge for the older without looking it up on the internet and it tasting close to average, well at least.


It's upsetting how terrible of a person he is. But Taeyong assures him he'll be fine and Yuta need not to worry before they sleep that night.

Yuta didn't sleep though. Watching Taeyong sleeping soundly and checking his temperature every now and then. His cheeks were red due to his cold and Yuta wonders if Taeyong will wake up if he runs his fingers on them. But that's not something he should be thinking about right now. He opts to stare at the ceiling instead of Taeyong's closed yet amusing eyes.

Yuta dozed off when Taeyong's fever cooled down and sleep knocks him off.

 


"Wake up. Wake up."

Yuta groaned when he feels someone is shaking his torso.

"Yuta, you'll be late for class. You need to go to school." Taeyong says.

"I'm not going. I'll take care of you." Yuta groaned sleepily, gently prying Taeyong's hands off him. It's making him dizzy. "Stop it."

"You need to come to class!" Taeyong insists, shaking him intensely this time.

"I said stop it." Yuta says calmly and pulls the other arm so Taeyong fell back on the bed close to him.

Taeyong should be pulling away right now but Yuta sounds so reassuring when he held Taeyong's hand and pulled their foreheads together and says, "I'll take care of you."

Yuta feels so warm and safe that Taeyong fell back to sleep.

 

He makes sure he gets up before Taeyong and heads to the kitchen to prepare breakfast. The sun has yet to rise but Yuta felt hot that he took his shirt off. He had to wear it back though, before Taeyong sees and scolds him.

He forgotten about that when he hears Taeyong yawns and hurriedly bring the breakfast he made to the bed. Making Taeyong groaned at him but softens when he sees the glass of juice and french toast that Yuta prepared. Taeyong stares at the food in admiration.

Yuta watches him eat in silence.

"About her. Seulgi." Yuta starts.

Taeyong gave hima blank look.

"The girl you saw I was with at the cafeteria. The night Ten and I went... drinking..." He paused at the memory. "I confessed to her through the phone. It was hell. She sounds so surprised. But I messed up, the stupid me, when she said I was just drunk and don't mean any of what I'm saying. Then I asked Ten to tell her to gave me another chance when I was sobber the next morning. But I got rejected again."

Taeyong has no say to it. But he was thinking and only staring at his lap. Listening to Yuta's words carefully.


"Ten likes her too. For years now. Ever since they were in gradeschool." Yuta added. "But then I just came in and try to steal her attention. Ten even helped me to win her heart. I ignored his feelings. I feel like a bad friend."


"A--about that. I'm sorry." Taeyong muttered timidly. "I called him a bad influence without actually knowing him. I didn't know--what both of you have gone through together."


Yuta smiled at him reassuringly. As though telling Taeyong he didn't have to worry about anything, like the word he says towards Ten are nothing that matters. "I'll be more honest with you from now on, Taeyong. I've been drinking... And smoking too. I know how you hate those. But now that you're here with me, near me, I don't need to let my stress out doing those. If anything is bothering me, I will talk to you. And you can always run to my side if you need someone, Taeyong. I'll be here for you."


The soothing smile that never leaves Yuta's lips as he say those words put Taeyong at ease. He knows that Yuta isn't someone who is strong, but rather someone who always do his best. He was emotional and likes keeping things to himself. Opting to keep hushed instead of voicing out how he feels until Taeyong pressed him about it.

"That girl... I don't like her for hurting you."

Yuta chuckled. "I didn't cry."

"You better not."

 

Taeyong could've been what you call a bully before, but he as well was a victim of everyone finding fault on everything he does. Yuta hurts as much as Taeyong does every time the gets insults and criticism towards his attitude, although the older may not say it, but his face screams pain when it happens. He wish those people can see how much Taeyong has changed.


Back then, Taeyong was only nice and gentle to Yuta. But now, he watches the older laugh along with his friends and it's uplifting to see.

"Take a picture of it, then." Ten says.

Yuta was sitting at the bleachers while everybody else is playing at the basketball court. They happened to meet each other after class and gathered together. The dance studio has not been used lately since there's no school competition sooner. Ten took a seat beside him and handed him a drink.

"I was kidding." Ten pulled him back when Yuta was about to walk out on him. "He's good to stare at. So handsome."

"Shut the hell--"

"Chill." Ten pats him on the shoulder. "When are you going to talk to Seulgi? She asked me how are you doing."

Yuta shrugs. "That's not worth talking about."

"Geez." Ten sighed. "My back hurts. I didn't know cheerleading could be this stressing."

"Do your best at that." Yuta reminds him. "As the team co-leader, get for the gold. Sports festival is coming soon."

"Yeah well guess what. Don't show your face to your coach. What of a valuable player missed their game." Ten sighed. Although their school still won, it wasn't as exciting as seeing his friend, Yuta, in the field at his best.

"I'm suspended. You think he'll let me play the next game if I beg?"

"Act sincere. Why did you two skipped school anyway?" Ten asked curious.

"He got sick."

"bricks." Ten breathes in and lost his composure when he looked at the court and saw Winwin stumbling over Taeyong's foot in slow motion and the older keeping him up so his face won't hit the ground. "That picklehead is so lame."

Yuta rolled his eyes at the scene. "Let's join them."

"My back hurts."

"Mine doesn't." Yuta says and left him alone.

 

 

Ten hesitates whether or not he should sit at the table where Taeyong and Winwin are at the library but his feet automatically lead him there. "Hey captain skinny-, have you eaten?" He pokes Winwin ear and took a sit.

"Huh. Why are you only nice to me when Yuta hyung is not around." Winwin pouts.

You call that nice? Was what Taeyong wanted to ask.

"You didn't eat breakfast. I'll get you food." Ten says and leave.

Taeyong was about to ask him what's the deal about Ten and Yuta not treating him well when the latter arrived and took a seat opposite to him.

"I got a call from mom." Yuta starts.

"Arigato kasa-san." Winwin muttered but precedes on writing his notes.

"I don't want to go home." Taeyong says, almost a whisper.

"Ruby misses you."

 

Friday evening when they packed the things they need and surrendered their apartment keys to the land lady. They'll be gone for 3 days.


The sun wasn't up yet but Taeyong and Yuta rose early and took a taxi to the bus station. They only bring back packs with them and a few snacks from the groceries. Choosing the second to the last row of the bus and Yuta sits by the window. Taeyong said people usually sit by the window and touch the glass and that it wasn't very sanitary.

"It's a 3 hour ride." Taeyong sighed and the other nodded sleepily. "Yuta, don't sleep on me."

Yuta groaned when Taeyong layed his head on his shoulder. "Aren't you the one sleeping on me?"

"You think I did something wrong that's why I don't wanna go home, right?" He asked.

"If you did, you would've tell me. Right?" Yuta replied.

Taeyong looks up at him, carefully studying Yuta's face. Upon realizing the close proximity, he nods and straightened his back. Yuta though, reciprocate the action and lay his head on Taeyong's shoulder instead.


"When I left Seoul, I didn't think I'd actually see you again." Yuta confesses.

Taeyong slaps his knees. "If you wouldn't come visit us on holidays, then I'll come to you. Like what I just did."

Yuta looks up at him and smiled. His big smile showing his perfect teeth. "I really thought you'd stop talking to me when you didn't text me for 3 months."

Taeyong nudged him on the head this time. "Silly. I was thinking you would text me first. But you didn't."

"Did you wait for me to text you first?"

Taeyong hummed. "It was frustrating. You're really a snob. I hate you for that."

"When I visited last Christmas you didn't even talk to me. Busy with that girlfriend of yours, huh?"

"Shut up." Taeyong hissed. "I ask if you ate and you only nod that's hella offending you didn't even say you miss me "

Yuta chuckled softly, placing his hand ob Taeyong's knees. "I miss you."

 

 

"Good job telling me to come home and they aren't even here." Taeyong groaned and lie down at the couch.

Yuta flops down next to him. "I didn't tell them we're going. I wanted to surprise them."

Taeyong groaned again when Yuta lays his head on his lap. "I still haven't talk to them about my transfer. They're going to scold me. Let's leave now, Yuta."

"Not my fault you want to see me so bad." Yuta chuckled and waits for a retort but Taeyong was to busy to answer his phone.

"Hello. Oh, Winwin!"

Yuta rolled his eyes.

"We're in Seoul. We'll be back on Monday. Yes, I'm with Yuta."

Yuta tries to eavedrops but fails.

"Miss me already?" Taeyong laughed. "Weren't we together just yester---"

Yuta took his phone from his hand. Ending the call and throwing it on the other couch. "You need not to talk to him when I'm around."

Taeyong wonders why Yuta did that and why his tone sounds too serious. "Why are you so mean to him?" He asked.

Yuta only stares.

"He's nice and needs caring. What are you acting like I did to everyone years ago?"

"Well, I guess I have the reason to hate him more now."

 

Yuta stood up when the door opened. Taeyong's mom and sister walked in, surprised and literally jumped to hug him instead of her son.

"Oh my god, you've gotten more handsome, Yu."

"Mrs. Lee, you still look young and pretty as ever." Yuta bowed at her then to Taeyong's sister.

"I have class today. University is tiring." She sighed, patting both of the boys on the head. "I'll see you guys at dinner."

 

Taeyong followed his mom at the kitchen to help her cook and Yuta helps set the table with the fruits and cake while enjoying a cup of ice cream. He feeds Taeyong who hesitates whether or not it's sanitary to eat from the same spoon and Yuta laughs when he actually ate it.

"You wouldn't answer my calls. Do you still have allowance?" His mother asked.

Taeyong nods. "Dad sends me money every two weeks. Noona too."

"I'd pull you back here. But I'm not worried because you're with Yuta." His mother smiled at both of them.

"Mom, if anything, I'm his babysitter." Taeyong says, matter-of-factly.


They could've been know as the evil duo in their previous school but Mrs. Lee knows what kind of person Yuta is. She trust him more than she trusts his own son. She believes Yuta is someone who owns a good heart and it is Taeyong who is emotionally and mentally problematic. Always thankful that there is a Yuta who can tact her son in sane.

"His apartment was a mess when I got there." Taeyong informed her.

"Don't tell me you still don't have a girlfriend to teach you house chores?" Mrs. Lee looks impossibly at Yuta.

"Who would want to date a messy person." Taeyong argues.

"Well,Taeyong teaches me to do house chores." Yuta laughed.

 

They ate lunch and Mrs. Lee was so engrossed in telling stories to Yuta about how many times she was called by the school's principal office because of Taeyong. She keeps on telling him how much of a hell Taeyong was when Yuta wasn't around.


"I don't know if I should find it cute or annoying that she is more fond of you than she is to me." Taeyong says when they entered his room. It's empty. Just one bed and clothes he didn't mind to bring to Yuta's apartment.

"Can't blame her if she wanted a son this handsome." Yuta states.

Taeyong looks at him. "What has gotten into you? You were humble. When did you become this conceited.....? Ah. Ten."

"You hate him so much, it's funny." Yuta teased.

"Lies." Taeyong bitesback. "You're the only one who's hateful. You hate Winwin so much, you're anno----"

Yuta made sure he pushed Taeyong not so hard on the wall to trap the older. "Say his name again." He dared.

Taeyong's eyes grew big, he could feel his hard beating out of his chest. When did Yuta become so violent.

"Aigoo. Did I hurt granpas back." Yuta laughed and pulled Taeyong for a hug, patting his back.

"Take a shower you smell like ."

 

 

They slept too much and woke up in the afternoon the next day. Last night, they thought calling each other names and tickling one another would be a great idea. They didn't realize that it was 3 at dawn.


They ate the lunch Mrs. Lee left at the table with a note "I left the food in the microwave. I didn't wake you boys up. I'll be home at 9."

They were washing the plates when Taeyong says, "When mom moved to that office, her schedule changed and transportation took longer too. Noona has gotten busy on her uni. Dad is so far away working abroad. I was always home alone."

Yuta notes the sad tone from his voice and he doesn't want Taeyong sad so he jokes, "Did you see ghosts?"

"Huh?!" Taeyong whined and hits his shoulder with wet hands.

"What? Aren't you the real life Courage the Cowardly dog?" Yuta laughed. Despite him looking tough, Taeyong is a sissy and afraid of ghost.

"Stop it."

"Super cute." Yuta pulled both his cheeks with his hands soaked in soap.

Taeyong pried his hands away. "You're not funny anymore."

"Even if I'm not funny, you'd still be cute."

"When did you become a sweet talker, huh?" Taeyong questions suddenly. "You fished out girls like this, now?"

Yuta told him he's changed a lot. But he pretty much can say the same thing to the other. It may only been a year and a half that they seperate, but Taeyong felt like he doesn't know a few parts of Yuta at some point. He didn't notice it the first time he moved, though. The younger was someone so reserved and quiet. People that aren't close to him might probably not hear his voice if you don't pay attention. But now, Yuta is a talker, a sweet talker that it makes Taeyong cringe to the bones. Nothing close to the Yuta he knows is a sweet talker. Hell it was surprising when the younger told him he confessed to a girl.


"You're my favorite fish." Yuta bumps his chest on some of Taeyong's back.

"Gross." Taeyong groaned. "I want my Yuta back. Who are you?"

 


They decide to visit the mall nearby Taeyong's home like they always used too, back then. According to Taeyong, they sell the best and cheapest snapbacks and have new items weekly. Ignoring Yuta's protest of "Stop wasting your money over things you don't use."


Yet, they're both trying out baseball caps and snapbacks on the booth. Taeyong wanted to pick the best cap but Yuta have the same opinion on every cap he tries to wear, "Perfect."


Yuta noticed the mood swing quickly because Taeyong's laugh fade immediately. He followed Taeyong's gaze and saw her looking back at them. Dahyun was with a guy, holding hands. He'd ask Taeyong what was going on but the latter quickly pulled him out of the department store.

He didn't say anything, until Taeyong let's go of his hand and they stopped in front of a coffee shop. Taeyong pulled him in, again and he waits on the table as he orders. Yuta wanted to ask Taeyong what went on but he decides not to until Taeyong speaks.

"She----"

"If you don't feel comfortable here. Let's just leave." Yuta says and prepares to stand.

"I--It's fine." Taeyong stutters. "We broke up already."

"Oh." Since when? Yuta wanted to ask.

"I--I don't want to talk about it."

Yuta could only nod because the last thing he wants to see is Taeyong looking uneasy.


As much as Taeyong was grateful that Winwin and Hansol are picking them up at the station, Yuta wasn't. Winwin jumped on Taeyong that the older almost fell in the crowds of people. Yuta tries his best to relax. Maybe if Hansol wasn't there his fist would've land on Winwin's face. It was an obnoxious feeling towards the younger he couldn't explain that even hearing his voice makes Yuta wants to grit his teeth.

He couldn't grasp this inkling feeling either. But lately, It's so bad that he actually voice out to the younger how much he dislikes him. He didn't care if it makes him a bad person. Or maybe it's because Winwin reminds him too much of himself that seeing a reflection of him causes distress. When Winwin said he missed him too, he forced a smile but it turned out really bad and sarcastic.

"Have you two eaten?" Hansol asked.

"You're not coming back to class?" Yuta asked him once they're settled in the car.

Hansol shrugged.

"We're not." Winwin anwered. "Where do you want to eat, hyung?" He asked Taeyong.

"Anywhere is fi---"

"As long as he's eating with me. Anywhere is fine." Yuta butts in, earning a weird look from the three. "Hansol hyung, buy us KFC."

 

Taeyong couldn't shake off his suspicion Yuta is dating every girl they meet in the hallways. Maybe it was the exchange of flirty smiles. He should've get used to his bestfriend's popularity now that he's the school's best soccer player and he's in the same school for two months, but Yuta actually socializing with everybody still feels weird to him.

"Can I see your phone?" Taeyong asked suddenly.

Yuta hands it to him without questions once they're seated on the class.

Taeyong scans through Yuta's messages and his eyes lands on one conversation thread with a thousand texts stored. "Who is this 'princess' "?

Yuta half smiled. "Take a look at it yourself."
Taeyong wanted an answer and not an arrogant permision so he pushed the phone on Yuta's chest, surprising the other and even Ten who sat in front of them.

"Awww what was that for?" Yuta rubs at his chest.

"How many girl have he dated here?" Taeyong asked Ten.

Ten shared a look with Yuta before beaming. "I guess you can call it a lot. God. Yuta is a playboy." He says dramatically.

"What? You believe him?" Yuta says in defense when Taeyong looks at him in disbelief. The look he send to Ten meaning they'd have to deal about this later.

 

"Why would he ask me that though?" Ten asked when they were waiting for everyone at the auditorium.

"We saw his ex when we went home. He probably got curious of my relationship." Yuta concludes.

"You never dated anyone though?" Ten says unsure. "I mean, I thought the last one was a goal but you ed it up."

Yuta sighed. "Get over it."

"Taeyong's ex? He had girlfriends? Wow." Ten fakes a surprise.

Yuta hummed in response. "Five? Six? Fifteen? Thirty exes?"

"Oh well that's something." Ten shook his head. "Must've been hard for you."

"Huh?"

"Well from what you told me, the kind of person he was before, that's probably possible. He's very good looking. I doubt he can even touch a girl's hair now." Ten continued.

"He never told me about his relationship though." Yuta says.

Despite being the tightest of friends, he didn't want to meddle about anything that Taeyong isn't open to him about. Especially when Taeyong told him once that him, dating, is none of Yuta's business and nothing important.

"Winwin is..... gay, right?" Ten asked.

The younger used to tell them a lot about the person he loved and lied to him, that makes him a mess that he is now. Winwin isn't exactly tight-lipped about his orientation and he's relieved of his friends still welcoming him despite that. He thinks Yuta avoids him because of it, Ten, his roommate, too sometimes.

"What about it?"

"I don't know. I'm not sure but---he could be liking--crushing on Taeyong hyung?" Ten couldn't find the words.

Yuta thinks for a moment. "That doesn't makes sense. Taeyong is not gay."

"Are you sure?" He asked.

Yuta nods.

"How about you, are you gay? Are you sure?"

" you." Yuta groaned.

"See. Told ya." Ten laughed. "Spare my soul. Our ethics project is coming soon."


To: princess

where are u?

To: princess

have u eaten?

 

"You actually named him that, i'm laughing." Ten comments when he peeks at Yuta's phone.


=>From: princess

Yes.

To: princess

who r u with?

=>From: princess

******

To: princess

what? who?

=> From: princess

You told me not to mention his name?


Ten was playing Clash Of Clans and keeps on saying incoherrent words about the player that attacked his village. "1m elixir is gone, hoe. ing need to stay on his lane."


"Definitely." Yuta tossed his phone on the chair beside him.