Chapter 12 - The Meeting

Mind & Heart Affairs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N Part 1 of double update!

 

It was finally time.

Jihun felt his hands turned clammy as he waits patiently at the café. His head nervously swung up every time the bell on the door chimed in indication of the door opening. He took a long sip of his Americano before wiping his sweaty palms onto his denim pants. Jihun was starting to regret his decision to not have Seungjun with him, but he knows that he would have to settle this by himself.

Jihun’s stomach was starting to ache due to him being nervous and he briefly wondered if he got the time to make a visit to the bathroom, when he saw a pair of legs standing in front of him.

“Jihun-ah…” Jihun looked up to see the man that was at his doorstep a few days ago. He was once again taken aback by their resemblance, but quickly regain his composure.

Jihun held out a hand, “Mr...”

There was a flash of pain in the older man’s face before it fades away into a smile.

“Mr Lee Min Ki. You can call me Mr Lee, if that makes you more comfortable.” The older man took the hand to return the greeting.

Mr Lee sat down in front of his son before also making an order for an Americano. He duly noted the drink in Jihun’s palm before hiding a smile.

Like father, like son.

“I’m really glad that you agreed to meet me, Jihun-ah…Thanks for giving me a chance.”

Jihun gave a small nod as he remembered how badly things went when he didn’t give Seungjun a chance to explain himself. That was the main reason why he wanted to meet his dad.

Sensing Jihun’s discomfort, Mr Lee was quick to keep the conversation going.

“So, umm…I guess it’s time for me to give you an explanation,” Mr Lee said as he sees Jihun’s eyes widened in interest.

Mr Lee thanked the waiter and took a sip of his warm drink before rubbing his hands together.

“…Your mother and I…we met when we were still in high school. We first met each other at a party and things just- just got out of hand that night, and we ended up stepping over the boundaries. We were really young and both of us were really scared as to what to do with the pregnancy. Both of us decided to abort the baby but the decision was strongly rejected by her dad, your grandfather. Your grandfather is a really influential businessman and he didn’t want us to abort a child that could potentially be his heir.” Mr Lee nervously glanced at Jihun who had a blank look on his face as he stared at the interlocked hands on his lap.

“Since the decision to abort wasn’t approved, I decided that I should live my life giving the best I could to both you and your mother. After all, I was the one who should take responsibility of the pregnancy. But- but the one thing that your grandfather couldn’t forgive was me being poor. I was really poor at that point of time. My family barely had money to pay for my education, let alone for a baby. Your grandfather…, he forced me and Soo Ae to separate. I wasn’t allowed to see the both of you…” Mr Lee teared up as he remembered the sorrow he felt, being forced to separate with his own son.

My dad…he didn’t abandon me…he wanted me.

“I decided to came back after all these years because the guilt has finally taken over me. I felt guilty for not being able to be there for you when you grow up. I finally decided to follow my heart and took the risk of meeting Soo Ae just so I am able to meet you. I figured that Soo Ae would be mature enough for us to talk things through now. After seeing how tall you are, I don’t have any doubts that she has been taking good care of you,” Mr Lee said with a fatherly smile.

Jihun doesn’t know whether he should laugh or cry at the absurdity

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter