[R] This House Is Chaos

✍ VOYAGE THROUGH WORLDS | A Multi-Shop ✍ | Hiring! | Staff Gets Paid! | Open | Attention Graphics Artists of this Shop! Please Read 'Must Read Stuff'! |
THIS HOUSE ICHAOS
 
 
FF5vnLM.jpg
rFJfWbq.jpg
Poster
FF5vnLM.jpg
Reviewed By: Yoruclaw
Date Requested: July 7, 2016
Date Finished: July 10, 2016
Description Of The Story


I have once heard that humans can never be under complete control. It explains why I was thrown into the toilet bowl when I was two, trapped under blankets at the age of four, blamed guilty for something I never did, and by seven I had already had a taste of hell.

Now that I remember, there was also an incident I nearly got hit by the school bus when I was nine!

But I've miraculously survived.

So, did I ever mention having brothers yet?

No? Well I do. The one who tossed me in the toilet bowl to 'give me a bath', the ones who buried me under blankets claiming that they were superheroes who had to 'save me' from the dragon's dungeon. The one who insisted feeding a seven year old spicy chicken feet. The one who stole my bouncy ball to show off that he could bounce it higher than me, ended up on the road and I nearly saw my death in front of me.

Now eighteen, I thought they'd leave me alone. Oh, I was terribly wrong.

Help! This house is chaos!

 

 
-
 
Information
Genre(s):
     •
 Comedy
     • Family
     • Romance

No. of Chapters:
     • 7 Chapters

Story Status:
     • On-going

Category:
     • Multi-Chaptered

Total: 82 / 100
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 
The Review

    • Title: 008 / 010

The title strongly relates to the plot as 'This House' refers to the four siblings and 'Is Chaos' means that the four siblings muck around with each other and are consistently bickering.

The title is the opposite of cliche; it is unique. No other story has the same / similar title. However, in order to make it more eye-catching, it would be best if an exclamation mark was added to the end of the title to make it, 'This House Is Chaos!'. This would add a comedic effect.

Although this seems like a great title, it can be a little predictable.


    • Description / Foreword: 016 / 020

Both the description and foreword was clean and neat. The length of the description is just right as well. You author's note is also fine. The description and foreword can be easily read by mobile users. The poster is also eye-catching.
Of course, the description at first seems to be depressing, dark and dismal. However, the 'Help! This house is chaos.' line at the end of the description sets the mood and reveals to the reader that it is a comedy genre.

However, your description could do with some touch-ups to make it flow easier.

For example:

Original: I have once heard that humans can never be under complete control. It explains why I was thrown into the toilet bowl when I was two, trapped under the blankets at the age of four, blamed guilty for something I never did, and by seven I had already had a taste of hell.
Now that I remember, there was also an incident I nearly got hit by the school bus when I was nine!

Fixed: They say humans could never be under complete control. That explains why I was thrown into the toilet bowl when I was two, trapped under the blanket at age four, blamed guilty for an act I hadn't done, and by seven I had already gotten a glimpse of hell.
Now that I remember, there was an incident where I almost died from a school bus when I was nine!

    • Appearance: 003 / 005

The color palette chosen is the same in both the poster and story which is good. The colors also relate to the plot and title as there are so many colors that it seems like 'chaos'. However, some of these bright colors don't seem so appealing to me, especially in the poster and foreword. That red in the foreword is so bright that it just looks kind of unappealing, this is the same with the gold. Even though the amount of colors are like 'chaos', I think you should just stick with three colors and tone the red down a bit. Also, take a close look at the model's outfit in the poster and apply them to the words in the poster, as well as the story.
 
Your chosen font and size was consistent and stayed the same throughout the whole story. It was easy to read. The GIFs were amazing in every chapter, they expressed the situations very well. The kakaotalk messages / pictures were done so well and were very interesting to read. Your idea of making the poster a GIF was amazing as well.
 

    • Plot: 017 / 020

First of all, there weren't many plot holes in the story. There was only one contradiction regarding Kim Taehyung's age. In the foreword, it states that Heein is eighteen. In chapter two it says that Taehyung is two years older than Heein. Then, wouldn't that make Taehyung twenty years old? Well for some reason, in chapter three it says that Taehyung is twenty-two. How does this work?
 
Honestly, I think the plot is nice and something the audience can relate to. Especially the first chapter when the siblings fight over one bathroom or an older sibling takes a sip of their younger sibling's drink. The plot is unique, and instead of the overused romance tag, it has a family tag instead which is very refreshing.
 
So far, the story seems like an example of slice of life and seems very realistic. The last sentence in chapter seven as it adds suspense to the story. I suggest you continue adding cliffhangers to the end of your chapters like this.\
 
In conclusion, the only plot hole was regarding Taehyung's age. However, I feel as though it can do better and include more conflict between the characters to create and interesting storyline.
 
    • Characters: 017 / 020

Honestly, I think Taehyung is the funniest character. His relationship with his younger sister is gold. I love how he mucks around and is pretty much the definition of an older brother. Out of all your characters, he seems to be one of the most developed.

Taehyung, Jin, Namjoon and Heein seem to be consistent throughout the story. Taehyung and Seokjin seem to have distinct personalities while Namjoon so far seems like a cool older brother who just goes with the flow. Although these characters have great traits, I believe Jin and Namjoon especially need more attention. Jungkook had recently been introduced. So far he seems caring and loyal, but that's all that's been shown about him. We need to know more about him since so far his personality seems like a blur.

I'm not an ARMY, and I only like reading BTS fiction for some odd reason, so I don't know them too well. However, I know that the group is portrayed in a dorky way according to the fans. Seokjin in real life seems like a nice guy. That's also what he seems like in the story. Also, Taehyung seems like a guy who messes with his friends. That's what he does in the story as well.

I love the way you reveal the characters' personalities to the readers. Instead of directly stating that Jin is the eldest brother who is overprotective of his little sister, you reveal it through his actions. Another example would be that instead of saying that Taehyung likes to watch music shows and likes girl groups such as gfriend and twice, you show that by making him fight over the remote.

    • Grammar:: 009 / 010

For someone whose native language is one other than English, you have done very well. There were only a few flaws to pick on. In the beginning of chapter one, it says '20 minutes'. However, according to my sources, it is correct to spell out the numbers within one to one hundred instead of using the numerals. Of course, there are exceptions. The speech should instead look like, 'Get out now! You've been sitting there for the past twenty minutes!'. Again, the same thing happens in chapter five where is says '40 minutes' but should be 'forty minutes'.

Also in chapter five, Seokjin says, 'Excuse me, Mr.' However, Mr. Should be used only when put in front of a person's name such as 'Mr. Kim.' However, as Seokjin is using it as a replacement for a name, it should be, 'Excuse me, mister.'

Whoops! There are a few other small mistakes.

Original:
'He worker sighed.'

Fixed:
'The worker sighed.'

Original:
'I stopped, causing the boy behind to jump into my back.'

Fixed:
'I stopped, causing the boy behind me to jump onto my back.'

Original:
'"Planning on joining the club?" He asked, as if he already knew the reason as to why I had come.'

Fixed:
'"Planning on joining the club?" he asked as if he already knew the reason as to why I had come.'


    • Writing Style: 008 / 010

I reckon this is the type of story that depends on dialogue and actions rather than the main character's thoughts. I believe the length of the paragraphs in each story were appropriate.

The readers are able to visualize and hear. The characters didn't really eat anything or smell much, so I can't criticise that. However, in the first chapter, Heein's hair is still wet. So wouldn't it feel cold? There should be a description or even just an adjective to address how damp her hair is or how cold it is that it forced Heein to shiver.

The story is written in first point of view. There are a few do's and dont's of writing in this perspective. In the beginning of chapter one, the main character narrates, 'Namjoon kicked the door and I thought it would break open any minute.' However, it is meant to be 'Namjoon kicked the door that could break open any minute.' If you have not yet noticed, the phrase I mainly wanted to remove was 'I thought.' This is because words such as I thought, I feel, I hear, and it seems are all examples of filter words. Now I won't get too deep into that since this is a review, not a guide. However, please care to search 'filter words' up as it is very important in the first point of view story.

'Our class was sent into the gymnasium where the boys were playing the first game of basketball.' Hooray! You said 'gymnasium' instead of 'gym'. Nice word choice.

I love how in the middle of chapter one, you indicate that Heein has changed the channel to Descendants of the Sun by narrating 'Put down the gun' in italics instead of directly stating that she changed the channel.

Personally, I'm not a fan of dialogue filled with capital letters like this, 'HEY I HEARD THAT KIM TAEHYUNG!' But then again, this is a family comedy so it's actually quite suitable for the story.

Again, I'm not a fan of switching from one character's point of view to another. However, it's quite suitable for a comedic fanfic like this.

I think you could fix up some of the longer sentences such as:

Original:
Luckily the cafe was outvoted by the haunted house by 3 votes and our class finalized on following along with the preparations for the scare.

Fixed:
Luckily the cafe was outvoted. The haunted house won by three votes, so our class finalized on following along with the preparations for the scare.


'Seems like he lost his girl phobia. My boy's all grown up now. I thought.' Since this is already written in the first point of view, you don't need an 'I thought' tag, and you must get rid of the italics. It's already from Heein's perspective, and the reader can already see all her thoughts.

    • Personal Satisfaction: 004 / 005

'I'm always disregarded only because I'm the youngest.' Haha, I can relate. Also, when Heein finds Taehyung gulping down her banana milk is something I can relate to as well. I love how at the end of chap. 2, Heein yells, "Call me when the chicken's there!' and then Taehyung says, 'That pig."
 
The humor throughout most of the story was good. As the story progressed it got more serious and more interesting.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 
Don't Forget To Comment Down Below & Credit the Shop!
Reviewer's Notes / Advice
 
 
 
Sorry if my humour seems a bit bad. I don't have a good sense of humour. I laugh at stupid things. However, I hoped this helped you! Please continue writing! For someone who isn't a native english speaker, your English is very good and better than some who are native English speakers. I hope my review helped, even though I have the worst sense of humor. Your story was very entertaining. Keep it up!
 
Note that the examples/excerpts used in this review are not the only mistakes from your story.
 
| trxsh | Modified By StoicBread |