With Power and a Cool Tone

Telecom Sisters

*RING*

Min Seo sighed and woke up with another normal day. She grabbed her phone, getting a call from Sung Byul.

“Hello?”

“Min Seo, the CEO called and we’re having our debut stage at China.”

“Oh, really? Thanks for calling me.” Min Seo yawned.

“Why?” Sung Byul asked on the other line.

“I might schedule another leave on my works. We’ll be there for how long?” Min Seo asked.

“Two weeks,” said Sung Byul.

“Okay…” Min Seo nodded and yawned again.

“Someone’s tired…” Sung Byul mumbled.

“Speaking of tired, are you taking your sister along?” Min Seo asked for the third time.

“No. I’ll let her stay with Na Young, her friend. Her friend was obliged, anyway,” said Sung Byul.

“Alright. See you at the company…” Min Seo said and hung up.

Min Seo would’ve woken up but instead, she texted the bank that she won’t be coming to work. She got her approval and went back to sleep.

***

*Shanghai, China*

A crowd greeted six performers. The crowd was so happy to see their rookie idols perform at their stage for the very first time. The stars were also happy and honored to perform in China…and Sung Byul and Min Seo were one of those stars.

*backstage*

Sung Byul was on medication due to her disease. Min Seo was there to guide her and stayed by her side during her medication.

“You shouldn’t join if you’re sick.” Min Seo said.

“But I want to, Min Seo.” Sung Byul pouted.

“What’s this, unnie?” Their maknae, Moon Soo Hee, asked of a box near Min Seo’s stuff.

Min Seo went closer to the maknae and was befuddled: it was the box from her promo.

“Ah…it’s a promo from SK Telecom that I won. It’s of adopting children,” said Min Seo.

“We’re curious of our multi-talented member and her little promo. How does it work?” Their leader, Shin Yeon Rin, asked as the whole group went closer to Min Seo.

Min Seo chuckled and showed her members of the promo. She grabbed Yeon Jung’s card, putting on a slot next to Chung Ha’s and got another card. She lets their leader read the instructions and they wowed.

“So…I had my adoptions before. I managed to adopt seven children and since you guys are curious, I will show you how it’s done…and by the time I get back, I might have to look after a child again.” Min Seo said and her group chuckled with her.

“Hm…Joo Kyul Kyung…Power Cool Tone. How mysterious.” Min Seo mumbled and showed the instructions to the group as she used her phone.

  1. Dial *101#.
  2. If you choose this card, type “6”.
  3. If you’re in China, this package is 75% faster. It’ll be at your household in a week.
  4. This is the foreign child. But be warned. There can be…circumstances.

“Again with the circumstances…” Min Seo mumbled as her transaction was granted.

“Isn’t it tiring to look after kids, Min Seo?” Kim Ki Nam, their main dancer, asked.

“It isn’t, actually. Although I might struggle along the way, who wouldn’t want to take care of children?” Min Seo answered.

***

Min Seo came back from their concert and was greeted by a woman, sprawled on her couch and was raising an eyebrow at her.

“Who…who are you and why are you in my home?” Min Seo asked the mysterious woman.

“If you want to know, I’m Joo Kyul Kyung from Shanghai, China. I’m the kid that was supposed to be your dongsaeng for a month. The representative just let me stay here.”

“But how did you get in here?” Min Seo asked again.

“Ah, I asked the experts in door locks to hack your password. I have the POWER, of course,” said Kyulkyung.

“Well, your ‘power’ will not work in this household. Didn’t they teach you manners in China?” Min Seo delivered her sarcasms.

Kyul Kyung stood up and pouted at Min Seo. Min Seo chuckled and continued to walk away.

“Yah!” Kyul Kyung stopped Min Seo.

“*sigh*…stay here and let me change and unpack my stuff first. We’ll talk afterwards,” said Min Seo.

“Why should I even listen to you?” Kyul Kyung said, poking a tongue.

“Talk to the hand.” Min Seo mumbled as she went to her room.

***

Having Joo Kyul Kyung for a sister, Min Seo never thought she could have fun taking care of such a worse dongsaeng than Jeon Somi. Kyul Kyung was dominating her life, even treating her unnie like a servant rather than family. What an irony…

“Unnie, make me some lunch!!”

“Aish, you kid. Do it yourself.” Min Seo mumbled, busy with her project.

Kyul Kyung pouted and whined as she went to where Min Seo was. Kyul Kyung watched with curious eyes as Min Seo fixed the system of her door. Min Seo covered Kyul Kyung’s eyes as she typed her new password.

“There. Now nobody can hack into the system.” Min Seo sighed as she flexed her hands.

“Now can you make me lunch?” Kyul Kyung asked.

Min Seo puts her tools back and faced the woman. Min Seo just nodded and went to cook.

Min Seo and Kyul Kyung ate together and sometimes they deliver each other’s sarcasms. Min Seo would’ve been offended on some of them but then, she liked her sister’s remarks. She sounded so cool.

“Alright, that’s enough.” Min Seo said as she fixed the table.

“Yah! Why are you laughing?! I was serious with what I said.” Kyul Kyung said again.

“You look cool rather than looking powerful.” Min Seo said.

Min Seo chuckled again and she froze when Kyul Kyung just stood there, looking at her with deadly eyes. Min Seo shrugged that off and did the usual work.

“Unnie…” Kyul Kyung called and Min Seo turned around.

“What?”

“Can you tour me around Korea?”

***

Min Seo and Kyul Kyung were walking around town. Min Seo felt Kyul Kyung hold her arm tenderly, an approach which was far more different than the usual.

“Let me ask you. You’re a foreign kid and you came from the Chinese branch?” Min Seo asked.

“Yeah. Actually, branches are not based on countries but on units. I was the only one left in my branch with Na Young-unnie.” Kyul Kyung answered.

“Im Na Young?” Min Seo asked again and Kyul Kyung nodded.

Min Seo and Kyul Kyung walked as Min Seo showed her some sights and places that she needed to remember. Also, she interviewed her of anything she could think of, from hobbies to the school she’s studying.

“You don’t have to walk, Kyul Kyung. I’ll pick you up everyday.” Min Seo assured her.

“Yay~” She pounced on Min Seo and got a sudden piggyback ride.

Min Seo huffed and felt her arms break. She adjusted Kyul Kyung properly and gave her a piggyback ride for the rest of the tour.

***

Kyul Kyung’s POWER didn’t end there. Whenever Min Seo was at home, she would boss her unnie around. Min Seo knew it was all for show but then something in her couldn’t stop doing things for Kyul Kyung. It was really weird. How could someone do anything for an annoying person such as her?

“Where were you even raised? Why are you bossing people around? Is it the reason why no one wanted to adopt you?”

Min Seo looked at Kyul Kyung and she sat down the couch. Min Seo gulped as she saw Kyul Kyung in the brink of crying. Min Seo sighed and went to comfort the little one.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to offend you. It’s not true, okay?” Min Seo patted her shoulder.

Kyul Kyung’s tears fell and Min Seo wiped them off of her face. Kyul Kyung chuckled and gained her cool composure and Min Seo was impressed of that.

“I was born from a rich family. A fire broke by our mansion and I lost my family. I was sent to the care center and I lived my life being pampered due to my status. But because of that, the caretakers hated me and gave negative feedback to the parents that I wasn’t adopted like the rest of us. I became friends with Na Young-unnie but we were separated. I saw her again but then I was still the powerful girl with a cool tone. I thought that if I deliver this kind of attitude, I would be oppressing everyone and that I would remain at the top of my game and survive the harsh reality.”

Min Seo sat next to her and patted her shoulder. Kyul Kyung lowered her head and felt a thump on her chest. She blushed lightly and listened when Min Seo spoke.

“I was like you. But then…I learned something. Sometimes being powerful and cool is not what you need to survive reality. Values should be kept and implemented to others. You need to earn the respect of people so that they respect you as well.”

“And one more thing…” Min Seo wrapped an arm around her dongsaeng and Kyul Kyung looked up at her.

“…you don’t have to bear your sufferings and emotions to look cool in front of anyone, even me. Know that as your unnie, I have to be there for you. Just let me in and I’ll be there.”

Kyul Kyung wrapped her arms around Min Seo and hugged her. She leaned her head on Min Seo’s shoulders and her emotions broke free. Min Seo heard her cries and waited for her to calm down and was by her side on that day.

***

Min Seo was at the university, picking Kyul Kyung up from her class. As she got in, she was greeted by the teachers and some students who knew her in being a professional accountant and a star. She asked one of them of Joo Kyul Kyung’s room and even took a picture with them. Once she got there, there was a feud. Min Seo saw Kyul Kyung fighting with Yeon Jung. The two girls saw their unnie and they rushed towards her, leaving the crowd and Min Seo shocked.

“Unnie, what’s Yeon Jung saying? You know I’m loved more than her, right?” Kyul Kyung batted.

“Unnie, Kyul Kyung’s lying, right? You love me more than her!” Yeon Jung batted back.

“It’s me!” Kyul Kyung went closer to Min Seo.

“Me! Choose me!!” Yeon Jung did the same thing, leaving Min Seo in quite a mess.

A teacher came in and reprimanded the two. Min Seo interfered and told the teacher that it was fine. Then, Yeon Jung’s new guardian came and apologized to Min Seo.

“It’s okay…” Min Seo nodded and pulled Kyul Kyung towards her.

“Unnie~” Yeon Jung called for Min Seo but then she came with her new guardian.

“Miss Choi, may I talk to you of Kyul Kyung?” The teacher asked.

“Of course.” Min Seo nodded as she looked sternly at Kyul Kyung.

***

Kyul Kyung was hugging Min Seo tight as they arrived at their home. Min Seo just sighed, typing the code and the both of them went inside. Kyul Kyung continued to assault her unnie with her endless apologies and pouts and Min Seo knew she had to forgive her…at least…

“I’m sorry, unnie.” Kyul Kyung apologized one more time.

“I forgive you…but don’t you ever fight with other kids again.” Min Seo said, pointing at her.

Kyul Kyung nodded and hugged her unnie again, her head leaned onto Min Seo’s shoulder. Min Seo was shocked but hugged her sister back. She never thought the oh-so-powerful-and-cool Joo Kyul Kyung became affectionate. But for her, the new approach was cool enough for her little dongsaeng.

***

Kyul Kyung went to school as she was picked up by her unnie. Some students found Kyul Kyung so cool, having a star for an unnie.

“Don’t get into a fight again.” Min Seo said before she could.

“Ne, unnie.” Kyul Kyung nodded as Min Seo bid goodbye and went off.

Her closest friends squealed and gathered around Kyul Kyung while walking towards their classroom. They talked about Min Seo until it was time for their class. For Kyul Kyung, she was daydreaming of her unnie. For her, her little admiration was going further she couldn’t stop it.

***

*lunch break*

Kyul Kyung got an address and went to the said address. Kyul Kyung wowed as she got inside an entertainment label. She asked where her sister was and one of the staff guided her towards a dance studio. Kyul Kyung took a peek and saw her unnie dancing with other members. Sung Byul called for Min Seo as she faced the door and went to greet her dongsaeng.

“Unnie~” Kyul Kyung hugged her.

Min Seo didn’t hug back. She lets go right away. Kyul Kyung wondered what’s wrong when she saw a familiar person sitting on the couch. She gasped as it was the representative from the telecom company.

“Unnie…what’s going on?”

“I’ll explain it later.” Min Seo answered her.

Sung Byul and the rest of their members went to the little one as Min Seo stayed inside the studio, talking to the representative. Kyul Kyung was curious as she took a peek. She couldn’t hear anything but she was distressed as she saw her unnie getting crossed. Once their little meeting was over, the representative and Min Seo finally got along. As the representative got out, she saw Kyul Kyung and gave her a snicker.

“Consider yourself lucky, princess.”

Kyul Kyung felt her soul cringe. But then, she looked at her unnie and went closer, hugging her. Min Seo told her to sit down and they talked.

“What was that, unnie?” Kyul Kyung asked.

“Your new family wanted to adopt you right away but I checked the date and it’s still not your due date. So I called one of the representatives and negotiated with her. Your new family got to talk to it through a call and they agreed. Sorry if I took so long. You must’ve been waiting.”

Kyul Kyung pouted and Min Seo pats her head. Kyul Kyung held Min Seo’s hands and tackled her unnie for a hug. She was afraid for a while, never wanting her unnie to be away from her. She had grown close to Min Seo. Of all the relatives she had, Min Seo was her favorite. She couldn’t stand it if Min Seo wouldn’t be there for her anymore. Her hug on Min Seo got tighter as her feelings started to develop.

***

During the weekends when Min Seo had her day-off, Kyul Kyung was there to bug her sister in the best of ways. Min Seo, in return, didn’t mind keeping her dongsaeng company as they remained inside the mansion by the living room, watching a drama. Kyul Kyung was busy watching and stealing glances at Min Seo and her eyes stopped at Min Seo’s gray socks.

“Yah, unnie. Take your socks off.” She said.

“Why? It’s cold. I need to warm my feet up.” Min Seo said back.

“But gray socks don’t look good on you. Use these,” said Kyul Kyung, showing a fresh pair of colored socks.

“Where did you get those? And I don’t like colored socks that much. I like monochromatic socks.” Min Seo shrugged.

“Wear these…please?” Kyul Kyung pouted, lending her the pair.

Min Seo agreed. She took off her grey socks and wore the colored ones. Kyul Kyung squealed and was happy. Min Seo smiled and felt happy seeing Kyul Kyung happy.

“Unnie…” Kyul Kyung turned off the TV and scooted closer to her unnie.

“Yeah?” Min Seo asked as she looked at her.

“Thank you…” Kyul Kyung hugged her softly, her head leaning on her shoulder as her nose nuzzled onto her unnie’s neck.

“…thank you for being there for me.”

Min Seo was shocked at first. But then, her arms wrapped around Kyul Kyung slowly and she hugged her back.

“You’re welcome, Kyul Kyung-“

“Pinky…call me by my nickname, unnie.” Kyul Kyung said, gazing at Min Seo’s eyes as her hands held her face.

“Okay…Pinky.” Min Seo said to her.

“Unnie…you’re the only relative who knows my nickname.” Kyul Kyung confessed and Min Seo felt honored.

“Can I have a nickname for you that only I can know?” Kyul Kyung asked.

“Uh…okay.” Min Seo agreed and Kyul Kyung’s hands were on her shoulders.

“Sofie…call me Sofie…” Min Seo added and Kyul Kyung giggled while she held her face again.

“Sofie…Sofie-unnie…” Kyul Kyung giggled and Min Seo couldn’t help but chuckle on how cute she was.

Min Seo chuckled as they locked gazes. Min Seo was happy to meet a cute child like Kyul Kyung. She remembered she only had a few days left until the transfer.

“Pinky…don’t cry for me when you go. Please promise me that.”

Kyul Kyung knew that. She nodded and hugged Min Seo again.

“I know, unnie. Don’ worry. With my powerful and cool self, I won’t be a wuss an cry.”

“I love you.” Kyul Kyung mumbled.

“I love you, too, Pinky-“ Min Seo said but stopped when she felt lips beyond hers.

Min Seo froze. Kyul Kyung looked at her unnie after they shared the unexpected kiss and said:

“I’m sorry. I know this is fishy but…I love you more than an unnie. You’re the first person who ever made me affectionate…and…I can’t stop admiring you to the extent.” Kyul Kyung spoke, holding Min Seo’s hand.

“Pinky…I’m sorry but…this isn’t what it should be. I’m your unnie.” Min Seo spoke directly.

“Let me feel it…just this once. I won’t know when I will see you again so please…make me feel that love. Please, unnie…” Kyul Kyung pleaded.

This wasn’t good. Min Seo knew she shouldn’t break borders in relationships. She did care for Kyul kyung but not to that extent. But something in Kyul Kyung made her do otherwise and in the end, she kissed her dongsaeng. Min Seo felt her soul cringe. Was it because of her powerful nature?

“Unnie…I love you…” Kyul Kyung mumbled and kissed Min Seo again.

But feeling her heart, Min Seo thought this is just a final request. After all, Kyul Kyung won’t be staying for long. And as an unnie, she will do everything for her dongsaeng. What a toll in her life…

 

 

That was Chapter 8. I'm sorry if I don't update frequently. Been busy lately...

Aside from this, don't forget to also like my other IOI Fanfiction. And I have great news!! I will be starting another IOI Fanfic. Details will follow once I complete all of my fanfiction. Please bear with me ^^

Love lots from asahdako