Pick Me

Telecom Sisters

*TACK*

Min Seo turned off her alarm clock as she got up. She looked to see Mi Na still asleep. She kissed the girl’s forehead and went off to shower.

*ten minutes later*

“Unnie?”

Min Seo looked to see Mi Na already awake. She went closer to the girl and greeted her a ‘good morning’ and an ‘I love you.’

“Mmm…I love you, too, unnie…” Mi Na said sleepily as she hugs a fresh Min Seo.

“You should sleep. It’s the weekends so you have the whole day to sleep,” said Min Seo.

“What’s with the get-up? Where are you going?” Mi Na asked.

“Ah…Unnie is off  somewhere important. I’ll be back soon.” Min Seo said.

“Let me come with you…” Mi Na said as she yawned.

“You’re sleepy. Get some rest,” said Min Seo.

Mi Na slept in Min Seo’s arms. Min Seo chuckled and places her on the bed properly. She grabbed her car keys and spirinted silently out of her room, going towards her car.

***

Min Seo panted as she rode off. She was also on her phone as someone called her.

“Where’s the nearest SK Telecom branch?” She asked.

“If you’re searching for the branch sponsoring the promo, it’s in every branch, Min Seo,” said Yeon Rin on the other line.

“So?”

“The nearest branch is at Intel,” said Yeon Rin.

“Okay-“

“Wait! If you’re rushing to talk about the promo, I suggest you go the the main branch at Jung District.”

“It’ll take me an hour from here…anyways, thanks for searching the info for me, Leader-ssi.” Min Seo spoke.

“Anything for my multi-talented dongsaeng. If you got the approval, let me take care of them too, especially Se Jeong and Do Yeon, okay?” Yeon Rin spoke back.

“Ne.”

With the big sign on the side of the building, Min Seo parked her car and got in the building. As she got inside, some staff greeted the idol, taking pictures of her while giving her a tour around. Min Seo nodded and asked:

“Who’s in charge for the promo by P101 Company?”

“Let me lead you there, ma’am. Our boss has been expecting you, Miss Choi.”

Min Seo nodded and the representative shows her around yet she did her task and a few minutes later, they were by the doors of the main office. Min Seo could hear noises, in which she figured out, were from the children.

“Since the Boss expected you to come, she had also called the children to come so that you can choose.” The representative spoke.

“But there’s still one child in my disposal. I thought she would let me choose when all children are at the company’s disposal,” said Min Seo.

“Despite of the extension Miss Park requested as her death wish, technically, her time’s over, Miss Choi. The Boss will be busy on the following months so she only has this time to discuss with you of the adoption.”

Min Seo nodded as she and the representative got in. They were greeted by the Boss, covering her ears. The representative did the same as Min Seo sighed, seeing such a ruckus, with Yeon Jung and Kyul Kyung pulling their hair off of each other. The two saw Min Seo and they went closer to her again.

“Unnie! What’s with all of them! Please kick them out,” said Kyul Kyung.

“Unnie, what the heck! You said that I’m only your younger sister!” Yeon Jung exclaimed.

“Enough! Kick everyone else out and choose me! I’m your younger sister!” Do Yeon joined in the three.

“No! It’s me, it’s me!! Pick me, pick me!” Chung Ha joined in as well and the four argued at each other.

Min Seo was shocked. The rest of the children joined with them as Min Seo’s shock grew.

“Wasn’t I first, unnie? Do you remember I’m fresh cute Yoojung~?” Yoo Jung added and Min Seo felt like her ears were bleeding due to the noise.

“Ah…so collapsing…” Min Seo muttered beneath her teeth.

Min Seo saw So Hye getting slapped by Yoo Jung that Min Seo went to stop her.

“No, no!” Min Seo stopped her but the children crowded onto her.

The representative and the Boss couldn’t do anything. They were sitting beside each other, covering their ears and closing their eyes due to the noise.

“No, stop! No, no!!” Min Seo faced Yeon Jung and Kyul Kyung who were endless in fighting off each other.

Min Seo was defenseless as the children continued to crowd on her, their noises filled with raging desires to get picked. Min Seo felt like she was going to blow. As much as she loved the children, their noise was getting on her nerves.

“STOP!”

The children froze and scurried to line up according to age. The representative and the boss were impressed of Min Seo, disciplining the children which would’ve taken them half a day to calm them down.

“Be good girls and listen to elders. Mostly, listen to your Unnie, understand?”

“Ne, unnie!” The children nodded.

“Sit down, make up for your fights, and stay quiet once you’re all through. Unnie will talk with the representative and the Boss. Please be good girls…for Unnie.” Min Seo said.

The children nodded. Min Seo sighed, the noise coming to a stop. She went by the adjacent desk and sat down, the shocked look of the boss and the representative meeting her vision.

“Good morning.” She greeted.

“It’s such a privilege to meet you here at the company, Miss Choi. I’m such a big fan of you,” said the boss as they shook hands.

“Thank you. I’m here to settle with the promo.” Min Seo.

“Of course. Follow me inside the office.” The boss said and she and Min Seo got in.

The representative was left and she could only wow, seeing the feisty children going all quiet, all because of Min Seo.

***

The boss sat by her desk as Min Seo sat on a adjacent chair. She fiddled her fingers a bit as the boss settled with some papers.

“Have you made your choice, Miss Choi?” The boss asked.

“Technically, I’m still a bit confused of who to pick. These children are all wonderful that I couldn’t pick one. And with Kang Mi Na still at my disposal, it made my choice harder,” said Min Seo.

“That’s fine by us, ma’am. You’re the first customer to make a choice among all participants in the promo. Of the 22 winners, half of them declined the offer of picking a child, saying that the children are rascals and that they’re hard to take care of.”

“I see. However, I’m here to make a compromise,” said Min Seo.

“What would that be, Miss Choi?”

“I want to adopt all of them.” Min Seo said, her will extended to new heights.

The boss chuckled. Min Seo expected this and sighed. The boss calmed herself and talked with Min Seo again.

“Miss Choi, the decision you’re making right now would affect not only the company, but you and the children. Let me ask you. What made you decide that you could just adopt all eleven children?”

It was Min Seo’s turn to chuckle. She sighed again, faced the boss and made a stand for herself.

“Being an artist who has a standing on other jobs made me realize something. All wealth at my disposal is like dust, like how God made the first man and woman, having worth in the beginning and got cut-off, withering like dead leaves in the end, all because of bad factors. With that, I thought I’d share my blessings to people. I did that but my wealth grows by the second. Even if I help all people in the world, including this company, it won’t suffice.” Min Seo began.

“Second, I am the youngest daughter of Engr. Choi and CPA Mrs. Choi. And one thing my parents taught me is that you need to share. And like God said, love your neighbor as much as you love yourself.” Min Seo sat down, scooting closer by the desk and pointing at some papers.

“These children made me see that. You’re saying that I could pick one but I want all. I’m not being selfish, ma’am. I’m here not to make an impression or that I’m an artist but I’m here as their Unnie, someone who they can lean onto. You think I’d just leave them? What made you think that I was only adopting them all for show?” Min Seo asked, the boss frozen by her words.

“I’m adopting them all because I love the children. I would do all means to take care of them, to let them feel the best of life, and to let them feel love despite of their abandonment and loss. Those children are in the dark of their feelings of worthlessness…and I’m here to guide them to the light in which they’ll feel that they really have a family.” Min Seo finished.

The boss had tears on her face. Min Seo gulped and went to grab some tissue by the side of the desk and handed it to the boss.

“I…I’m sorry, ma’am. I just needed to say everything. I really want to adopt all children.” Min Seo said.

“It’s okay, Miss Choi. I never thought I’d meet a perfect person this sweet to the children.” She mumbled while wiping her tears off.

“What do you mean?” Min Seo asked.

“We made observations of the promo. These eleven children were such rascals that they made a bad impression on the clients. Yet…you are the only client happy enough to take care of them, to adopt them…and to make them the best of themselves, Miss Choi.”

“Thank you. I also thought of the consequences. I would like to have a meeting with the clients and settle everything. I will not let anything happen to the company, especially the children,” said Min Seo.

The boss stood up, shook hands with Min Seo, an did her bows. Min Seo did too and she could only smile.

“It’s my pleasure, ma’am. The customer may always be right but I have to assure you and your services.” Min Seo added.

“Okay, Miss Choi. I will schedule a meeting tomorrow.”

“But your representative told me that you’ll be busy tomorrow. How about an SMS of the agreement? That way, you won’t be hectic with your schedules,” said Min Seo.

The boss agreed. She and Min Seo exited as the boss instructed the representatives of what they’re going to do. For Min Seo, she faced her dongsaengs again. So Mi was quick to come closer to her and give her a hug.

“Unnie, how did it go? Who will you pick from us?” So Mi asked.

“Yeah, unnie. Who will it be?” Do Yeon asked.

“Is it Mi Na?” Na Young asked out of the blue.

The rest of them were distressed, even So Mi felt like crying. Min Seo sighed, went closer to the group and said to them.

“I haven’t made my decision yet. However, I did something but I can’t tell you now. I’ll tell you when it’s time.”

In less than half a minute, ten clients came in. So Mi’s hug on Min Seo got tighter as Min Seo lets go. She saw Yeon Rin by the bunch and went to gather with the rest of the clients. The representative came to the dongsaengs out of the room, leaving the boss with the eleven clients, including Min Seo.

“I called all of you for an important matter regarding on the promo.”

“About that, I might decline picking a child. The daughter of my sister came just now and I’m asked to take care of her until the year. If I have another child at my disposal, I might not be able to take care for either of them.” A businesswoman by the name of Lee Hae In, spoke.

“Me too. Not that I don’t want to but the landlady told me she can’t accommodate another person per room. Only one per room,” said Kim Jong Son, a 24-year old man, working as a store clerk.

The rest of complaints went on. Yeon Rin held Min Seo’s shoulder but the fellow artist held onto her hand, telling her that she’s fine. As the complaints were settled, the boss finally spoke.

“At this juncture, we seek of your approval of a certain compromise, wherein ES7 member and all-time businesswoman Choi Min Seo will settle an adoption for all eleven children.”

The clients gasped as they saw Min Seo. She said her greetings as they all acknowledge her presence, especially Hae In. They shook hands and took pictures with the artist, including Yeon Rin. Once they were finished, Min Seo stood up and faced the clients.

“Good afternoon, everyone. Mind me for consuming your time for this day. What the boss of the company said was true. I plan to settle an adoption for all eleven children with the approval of the winning clients. I may be a bit relieved that some shared their complaints but ALL approval of the clients is necessary for this decision.”

“I approve. If Miss Choi approved it, I assure she’s obliged to take care of the children,” said Hae In.

“But wouldn’t you get tired of it, Miss Choi? What about your work? Who would pick them up?” Jong Son voiced out.

“I have everything settled, Mr. Kim. Rest assured no abandonment or harm will come to the children,” said Min Seo.

“She’s right, Mr. Kim. I, being a leader of ES7, also face the same responsibility Min Seo here is holding. I take care of my group and assure of their well-being. And knowing Min Seo for so long, she is responsible. She has her priorities, the children being one of them. That’s why I can say that she can handle this responsibility. With that, I approve.” Yeon Rin spoke.

“Miss Min Seo here is my neighbor. I saw her take care of the depressed child she had recently and I never thought she could sacrifice her time to be with her. As a result, the child grew happy again. Even my child, So Hye, would play with her when the child was left at home. With that, I witness a responsible woman. I approve too.” The old woman said.

The rest of them also said their approvals and Min Seo felt grateful for them. But then, one of them was against it. It was Sam Ta Mi.

“Are you all out of your minds? It’s hardly fair that Miss Choi here will take the children for herself. Are you even certain that she will raise all eleven of them? One child is hardly bearable, how much more eleven?”

“You’re saying that because you want the children for yourself too, am I correct?” Hae In raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, I do.” Ta Mi spoke.

“But I heard from So Mi that you’re not a good parent. In retrospect, children are usually frank and in So Mi’s case, she’s frank and mature despite of her age. I was the parent next to you and when I got her to live with me, she had bruises.” Jong Son spoke as she showed a picture of So Mi’s bruised legs.

The rest of the clients began to mumble. Ta Mi snickered and spoke.

“Why did you take a picture of her legs? Are you molesting the child?”

Jong Son spoke again and was about to punch when Min Seo blocked his way, telling him to stop. Min Seo thought of something about this and came up with an idea.

“How about we let the children decide?”

“We already had that, ma’am. Based on the results, you had to most votes,” said the boss.

“See? Even the results suffice. We should approve. Let Miss Choi have the children.” Hae In said.

“Miss Lee’s right. Let Min Seo-ssi have the children.” Her neighbor said.

“That’s right. Miss Min Seo can handle it,” said Jong Son.

“Let her have the children, ma’am. It has been Min Seo’s dream. She’s also doing this because she wanted to share her love…that her sisters couldn’t give her…” Yeon Rin spoke.

Yeon Rin shared a bit of Min Seo’s story, even Min Seo cried a little. The clients, even the boss, were moved of the story, making them to convince that Min Seo can do it and that she should have the children.

“I still refuse.” Ta Mi raised his hand.

“You can’t do anything about that, Mr. Sam. The nine of us approve. Majority wins,” said Hae In.

Ta Mi snickered and didn’t oppose of the decision. As everything was approved and settled, the meeting was over. Min Seo thanked all of them and the rest of the clients were obliged of their decisions.

***

At the café, Min Seo treated Yeon Rin for the whole meeting. Yeon Rin was obliged, knowing Min Seo her whole life.

“So…I get to take care of them too, right?” Yeon Rin asked excitedly.

“Of course you can. I’ll let the children visit their favorite client despite of them picking me.” Min Seo said.

“You know…you’re a really good person, Min Seo. Sung Byul would be so happy that you did a way so that the children are happy, even Mi Na,” said Yeon Rin.

“Yeah…which reminds me, I need to go back home.” Min Seo said, checking her phone.

“I need to be back at the company too. I have to teach the trainees their voice lessons. You know, Se Jeong and Yeon Jung are trainees like So Mi, Kyul Kyung, Chae Yeon and Do Yeon. I’ll be training all of them later.” Yeon Rin winked.

“Lucky you. Send my regards to them,” said Min Seo.

Yeon Rin nodded. As they finished eating, Min Seo offered to send Yeon Rin before she could go home. Yeon Rin was thankful as they rode off.

***

Min Seo arrived at the mansion as she got off her car, a pack of treats on her hand. Min Seo saw Mi Na with So Hye as they played with the other children on their neighborhood. Min Seo smiled, happy to see them interacting and that Mi Na interacted with the other children.

“Unnie~” Mi Na stopped and ran towards Min Seo.

Min Seo crouched lightly as she and Mi Na shared their hugs. Mi Na called So Hye and the penguin girl hugged Min Seo too.

“Have you been playing all day? Sorry if I took so long.” Min Seo apologized, wiping the sweat on both of their faces.

“Ne. So Hye has been great company.” Mi Na said, hugging So Hye.

“Alright. I got some treats here.” Min Seo shows the pack.

Mi Na got some from the bag and shared with So Hye. So Hye was called by the old lady as she kissed Min Seo goodbye, heading back home. Mi Na pouted, kissing her unnie’s cheek as they got inside their home.

“Where did you go, unnie?” Mi Na asked.

“At the company, training.” Min Seo smiled as she said it.

“You’re so happy, unnie. What happened? Tell me~” Mi Na said cutely, nudging Min Seo’s shirt.

Min Seo carried Mi Na and the girl cheered, holding onto Min Seo tight. She told her all that happened but she hid something from her. For Min Seo, it was something Mi Na had to find out sometime soon…