The Lively Person with a Human Smell

Telecom Sisters

Min Seo was up again, facing another month. For her, Na Young’s departure didn’t go well last time. She remembered how Na Young was staying still despite of the presence of the representative and the new relative for her. She tried to reprimand her but she was silent, her arms wrapped around her. Eventually, she had to go. Min Seo sighed and went to find the box again. Even though she grew tired of getting children from the center using the cards, she couldn’t stop. Was it for the discount of her telecom bills? Was it because of her dream to be a caring unnie…or was it for caring?

“There we go…” She mumbled and opened the box again.

Min Seo gazed at the cards again and thought about what she wanted for a sister again. She wondered what she would pick next.

“Hmm…I wanted a lively sister. Is there anything here?” She mumbled to herself and scoped on the box.

“Oh, here it is! Kim Se Jeong…Lively Person…” She added, checking the instructions.

  1. Dial *101#.
  2. If you have chosen this card, type ‘2’.
  3. Press 1 to subscribe.
  4. Then, the child will be sent to you through door-to-door process.
  5. This is a bonus card. The bonus will not be shared onto the user or in any premises available.

*RING*

Min Seo picked Na Young’s card, placing it on the second slot next to Yoo Jung’s. She then went to her door to greet another guest.

“Yes?” She opened the door and there was a girl carrying two cellophanes.

“Unnie~~” She said, her voice deep like an uncle’s and her smile as lively as pure bliss.

“Hello, Se Jeong-ah.” I greeted her and let her come inside.

“Hello, Min Seo-unnie.” Se Jeong bowed.

She went inside and placed the cellophanes in the living room’s table. Min Seo wondered of the sudden setting so she went to the counter and deal with the promo cards again. She also grabbed some water to drink while checking on the remaining cards when…

“Unnie~ Let’s eat this together here~” Se Jeong called.

Min Seo wondered and went to the living room where Se Jeong was complete in setting the table. She looked to see a tray with food, soju, and two shot glasses. In the side were plastic transparent gloves and a paper plate.

“I hope you like what I brought today. This is all for you, unnie,” said Se Jeong.

“Really? You bought this for me? Chicken feet and soju?” I asked excitedly while we sat down on the couch.

“Yeah. Flip over the soju with a twist and BAM!!” Se Jeong flipped the bottle, tapped the bottom with her elbow, and opened the bottle in one swoop, leaving Min Seo impressed.

“Now…want to do one shot one kill?” She asked.

“Okay~!!” Min Seo joined in the fun and served each other their shots.

“Cheers~!!” Se Jeong and Min Seo clunk their shot glasses.

Se Jeong the TV and changed the channel to sports, specifically to the UFC. Min Seo was happy. She loved UFC as much as Se Jeong did. They watched the fight, indulging some soju and chicken feet.

“Though you can’t do it like that…”

Min Seo ate some chicken feet using her plastic-covered hand to prevent any messes. She noticed Se Jeong babble about the fight while she grabs one foot and ate. But then, something disturbed Min Seo. She looked at Se Jeong eating sloppily, then wiping her fingers with excess sauce using her shirt. Min Seo’s eyes dilated as she saw the stain on Se Jeong’s shirt.

“Ah! You can’t do that!” Se Jeong mumbled, focusing on the fight.

“Look, unnie. Don’t you do a headlock like this?” She asked and did a headlock towards Min Seo.

Min Seo gasped and gulped as Se Jeong locked onto her head hard. She was in awe of Se Jeong’s strength but she needed to breathe soon. She choked a little and struggled onto Se Jeong’s grasp.

“Ah~ it is harder than you think~”

“Ow~ stop it~” Min Seo yelped, getting herself off of Se Jeong.

“What, low kick…ah, of course low kick is better to do…” Se Jeong focused on the fight again.

Min Seo rubbed her neck and continued to watch. Se Jeong got up and imitated the winning fighter on TV. Min Seo noticed it later and wondered of Se Jeong’s actions. She grabbed a wet wipe and wiped some excess sauce off of her lips and wiped her hands clean. Se Jeong stopped imitating and grabbed her left foot. She took a whiff and laughed. She was giddy and went closer to Min Seo again.

“Daebak! Unnie, smell my foot!” Se Jeong sat down and pointed her left on towards Min Seo’s cheek.

“Wait, what?” Min Seo was confused.

“There’s this new kind of smell. Give it a whiff,” said Se Jeong.

“I don’t want to.” Min Seo protested.

“It smells really new. I wonder what this is. Try it.” Se Jeong said, poking her toe on Min Seo’s cheek.

Min Seo gave up and obeyed to Se Jeong’s request. But as her foot got onto Min Seo’s nose, Min Seo jumped away and cursed.

“Aish!! F**k!!” Min Seo flipped her hand by her nose.

Se Jeong laughed of her unnie, slapping her back as an addition. Min Seo continued to scream and flip onto her face as she felt sick of Se Jeong’s intoxicating yet smelly foot. Se Jeong continued to laugh as Min Seo felt nauseous that she felt like hurling herself. As Min Seo was distracted from her reaction, Se Jeong smelled her right foot this time.

“Unnie…wait, it doesn’t smell here.” Se Jeong said again.

“Usually, it isn’t like this. Try to smell it.” She added.

“Yah, stop that! Put that away.” Min Seo said back.

“Really, unnie. Try to smell,” said Se Jeong.

“I told you to stop and put your foot away,” said Min Seo, crossing her arms.

“It’s being applied on your pearly face right now.” Se Jeong said, pinching Min Seo’s cheek with her right foot.

“Yah! I said put it down!!” Min Seo growled.

“Kkyu~ am I cute today~~?” Se Jeong chanted pinching Min Seo’s cheek harder.

“Aish!! Put it down already!!” Min Seo ranted, pushing Se Jeong’s foot off of her face.

“Smelly? It isn’t right?” Se Jeong asked cutely as her right foot landed onto Min Seo’s nose.

Min Seo screamed loud and wiped her nose of with a wet wipe. Se Jeong laughed harder, lying on the sofa while laughing and clapping her hands. Min Seo huffs her breath as Se Jeong slapped her back harder.

“Idiot! Idiot! How many times did I get you? Hahahaha!! Stupid! Stupid Unnie!!” Se Jeong remarked while laughing.

Min Seo gulped and covered . She ran towards the comfort room, leaving a laughing Se Jeong in the living room.

***

Later, Se Jeong was at her room, taking a nap. Min Seo didn’t recover from the sudden assault earlier that she continued to feel sick and to wipe her nose with a scented wet wipe. She looked onto the cards again and checked on Se Jeong’s card. She noticed a Korean message on the side of it and looked at it.

“Omo…I got ripped off again…” She mumbled.

She thought about Se Jeong’s character and it hit her. She snickered and made a mental note about the cards.

“Yah! ‘Lively Person’ and ‘Human Smell’ are connected. Aish!!” Min Seo ranted.

She face-palmed herself and went to get Se Jeong’s card. She snickered as she points to it.

“ ’Human Smell’ seriously smells too much! Waaay too much!!” She ranted and whiffed on the card.

That smell was the worst. Min Seo ranted about the smell and threw the card. But with the card on the floor, she couldn’t just throw it like a psycho. Min Seo grabbed her glove and grabbed the stinky card, placing it in a cute Ziploc and placing it inside the box. She also went to the sink to wash her hands and relieved herself from the smell in the living room.

‘How could they offer some s**tty promos?! That was super gross!!’ She thought.

Min Seo thought of an idea. She went to her bathroom, grabbed her toiletries and went to Se Jeong’s room. As she went inside, she gasped. The whole place was like a pigsty! Min Seo looked at Se Jeong watching a game between the Golden State Warriors and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

“Yah! What in the world!!” Min Seo screamed.

“Oh, unnie!! Come, hurry!! Let’s watch some basketball~!!”

“What happened in taking a nap?!” Min Seo flipped out.

“Uhh…I wasn’t sleepy anymore so…I the TV. I’m seeing NBA and was excited to watch.” Se Jeong said.

“What about the room? Why is it so messy? There’s a trash can next to the TV so why didn’t you clean your mess?!”

Se Jeong stopped as Min Seo grabbed the control swiftly and turned off the TV. Se Jeong felt Min Seo’s anger that she lowered her head. Min Seo told her to leave the room and stay at the living room. She obeyed and went out slowly. Min Seo face-palmed herself and went to get some cleaning supplies. She grumbled as she cleaned everything. She replaced the sheets with new and clean ones, mopped the floor with some chemically-mixed water, and even stashed cellophanes and trash bins inside. As she got out, she carried a big trash bag. Min Seo went outside to throw it out and came inside to check on Se Jeong. She looked at the little one sitting by couch and smelling her feet. Min Seo sighed again and went closer to her.

“Se Jeong?” Min Seo called.

“Unnie…mianhe…” Se Jeong apologized.

“It’s alright. Don’t mind about it. You’re just lively, that’s all.” Min Seo said.

“Here…” Min Seo said and gave a bottle of body wash to her.

Se Jeong wondered of this. Min Seo grabbed her hand and took her by the mirror to see her reflection.

“Look at yourself. You are a mess. Clean yourself up and get ready for dinner.” Min Seo instructed.

Se Jeong nodded. She went closer to Min Seo and hugged her. Min Seo’s anger diminished and she hugged Se Jeong back. Se Jeong went on to obey her unnie as Min Seo could only watch her from a distance. Min Seo sighed but before she could do something, she gave herself a whiff.

“Damn.” She cursed for the last time and went to shower.

***

Se Jeong was already clean and fresh from the shower. She went down the kitchen and noticed a meal for only one person. Se Jeong wondered of her unnie. Aren’t they eating together?

“Unnie?” Se Jeong called.

Se Jeong searched for her until she saw her at her work station. Min Seo was at her PC, wearing her glasses and reading a book at the same time. Se Jeong looked at her unnie, finding her so cute even if she was so serious.

“Unnie~” Se Jeong went closer slowly yet Min Seo noticed her presence.

“Ne?” Min Seo asked as Se Jeong sat next to her.

“Unnie, are you hungry?” Se Jeong whispered.

“I’m not. I can’t eat now because I have work to do. I’ve made dinner for you at the table. You have to eat now. You might be hungry,” said Min Seo.

Se Jeong went silent as Min Seo continued with her work. She didn’t mind of Se Jeong’s presence but Se Jeong was distressed when Min Seo took intervals to rest, only to see her unnie so tired. She thought about what she heard from the representatives about Min Seo, saying that she was a workaholic but she was so kind, caring, and sweet. She also knew how Min Seo was so lonely and was treated badly by her elder sisters. Se Jeong couldn’t help that feeling that she reached onto Min Seo’s hand and held it tenderly.

“Are you okay, unnie?” Se Jeong asked.

“Why wouldn’t I be, Se Jeong-ah?” Min Seo asked back.

“I’m worried about you, unnie,” said Se Jeong.

“Don’t. Don’t take unnie’s problems in that head of yours. Unnie’s fine,” said Min Seo.

“I can’t help it. I’m just worried about you, unnie.” Se Jeong said, her hands slipping off and reaching to Min Seo’s face.

“I’m fine. If you’re still worried for me, don’t sip it inside your thoughts. I’m alright, Se Jeong-ah…I swear…” Min Seo finished.

“Okay…” Se Jeong gave in yet she hugged her unnie tight.

“Thank you for taking care of me so well. I’m sorry if I ever burden you because of my uncleanliness and human smell. But I promise to be a good dongsaeng to you. I’m not going to litter again. I’m going to be cleaner than you’ll ever be. I also smell good and I want to be your loving dongsaeng as much as you are my loving unnie.”

It was another revelation from Choi Min Seo. Kim Se Jeong, whom she thought was a very messy and smelly kid, was a very caring, happy, and mature dongsaeng. Min Seo didn’t realize that Se Jeong kissed her cheek gently and lets her lean Min Seo onto herself. Min Seo didn’t want to but deep down, she was really tired. Se Jeong assured herself that she will eat later but she really wanted her unnie to rest first.

“You have to sleep, unnie. You haven’t slept all day and with work, you’ve gotten more tired.” Se Jeong said.

Min Seo didn’t argue and agreed. She saved her work, turned off her PC and went ahead. Se Jeong wanted to follow until they were in Min Seo’s room. Min Seo lay down sloppily and slept instantly. Se Jeong giggled and helped Min Seo out with her limbs and tugged her onto her blanket. She caressed her unnie’s face and her hands ran onto Min Seo’s hair. She kissed her cheek again and decided to go downstairs and eat her dinner.

***

The following weeks made Min Seo so happy. She never thought Se Jeong changed in a way she could never believe. Se Jeong lost her ‘human smell’ and turned out to be the ‘lively person’ she always has been. During the times when Min Seo had no work and Se Jeong had no classes, they went to see games. And when they were tired to go out, they would stay at home and spend the day together. Se Jeong enjoyed being at Min Seo’s side so much she never wanted to be replaced by another child from the center. She wanted Min Seo to be her only unnie and she wanted herself to be Min Seo’s only dongsaeng.

*KNOCK*

“Someone’s at the door. I’ll get it.” Min Seo got up when Se Jeong held her hand before doing so.

“Stay here, unnie. Don’t go get the door. Please…” Se Jeong pleaded.

“It could be my friend coming here. I really need to answer it.” Min Seo said again.

“It might also be the representative. I don’t want to be taken away again! I want to stay here with you. So please don’t answer the door.” Se Jeong pleaded again.

“It won’t be the representative. There’s still one week to go. It must be Sung Byul. Let me get the door for a minute. I’ll be right back right away.” Min Seo said.

“It’s fine. We don’t need to get up anytime, anyways. We still have a game to watch and settle, remember? Come on, unnie~” Se Jeong said, holding Min Seo’s hands tight.

Min Seo went to grab her phone without letting go of Se Jeong’s hand. She called for Sung Byul and told her that she won’t be answering the door. Sung Byul understood it and decided to hang up and leave.

“It WAS my friend at the door. Be thankful she just left.” Min Seo said that Se Jeong was quick to snuggle onto Min Seo’s shoulder, nuzzling on Min Seo’s neck.

“Unnie…I love you…” Se Jeong mumbled.

“I Iove you too.” Min Seo replied.

“Don’t make me leave, unnie. I want to stay with you.” Se Jeong mumbled again.

As much as Min Seo really cared for Se Jeong as much as for the other children, she couldn’t. The evaluation period was on, considering the fact that she can’t just choose now. Min Seo nodded and hugged Se Jeong, making sure to always be there for her in their last moments together.

***

Se Jeong was at the living room while Min Seo was at her office. A knock was heard and Se Jeong unexpectedly opened it.

“Hello, Se Jeong-ah.” She was greeted by the representative and her new relative.

“What are you doing here?” Se Jeong was shocked and asked.

“Your time with Miss Min Seo is up. It’s time to transfer to your new family.” She said.

The time of the replacement came again. Se Jeong protested and struggled against the representative’s grasp. Se Jeong screamed for Min Seo and Min Seo got there in time. She got rid of the person’s hand off of Se Jeong. The two people bowed at Min Seo, earning respect due to a fact that she was an artist and their most loyal customer.

“Yah. You can’t just force her to come with you. That’s really pissing me off!” Min Seo yelled.

“Unnie…don’t let them take me.” Se Jeong pleaded.

“Se Jeong-ah…it’s time. Do you know what that means? You’ll be settled with a better family. I don’t want to disobey. They might not go easy on you.” Min Seo spoke.

“I’d rather disobey than to see myself without you by my side. “ Se Jeong replied.

“Don’t be scared and don’t disobey. Come on. You need to go. Change yourself and pack some things you want to bring,” said Min Seo.

Se Jeong obeyed Min Seo but she never wanted to go. Se Jeong shook her head and hugged Min Seo tight. Min Seo spoke through every protest and Se Jeong tears up. Min Seo kissed her forehead and patted the girl’s back.

“Always take care of yourself. Don’t worry about Unnie. I’ll be fine.” Min Seo said.

“Se Jeong…come on…” The representative said and held Se Jeong’s arm.

Se Jeong never wanted to let go. Min Seo sighed and was almost crying. She hated seeing Se Jeong like that. If only she could just say yes and adopt the children right away but it might cause a feud in which she could never heal quickly. Se Jeong hugged Min Seo one last time and came with the representative together with the new relative.

“Thank you so much, Miss Choi,” said the representative.

“Take her back to the center. Make sure she’ll be safe,” said Min Seo.

The representative nodded and did what Min Seo said. Se Jeong went to Min Seo again and hugged her so tight.

“I love you, unnie. Pick me soon…” Se Jeong mumbled.

“Now go. You might get caught up in the rain.” She added as she noticed the gray clouds.

Se Jeong held onto Min Seo’s hand for so long. But eventually, she had to let go. Se Jeong bid goodbye to Min Seo as she was sent off with the representative and the new relative. Min Seo sighed again and was so lonely. She slumped on the couch and thought about this whole deal.

“*sigh*…I’m going to miss this smell…” Min Seo mumbled.

She decided to rest herself with the cards. She closed the door, went to her bedroom, and decided to sleep all of her sadness. It was more of a try-out for the girls and it’s pissing her off. She thought about the cards and said:

“I’ll start tomorrow.” And Min Seo goes out to dream land.