Fixing the Fruit Juice Girl's Heart

Telecom Sisters

Min Seo had been a wreck. A lot of things happened. First, Sung Byul made it and got to tell Mi Na of her condition yet she died three days later. Second, Do Yeon was transferred to a new family. Third, the group was on hiatus and adjustments were made in their group now that Sung Byul’s gone. Fourth, Mi Na wasn’t her cheerful self since her sister died plus her whereabouts were unknown afterwards. And fifth, she resigned on her jobs to focus on her career as an artist then took a leave due to the incident.

*RING*

This is Choi Min Seo. Please leave the message until the end of the beep.

*BEEP*

“Hey, buddy. How are you? We’re doing our best to find Mi Na. Please don’t let the incident ruin you. We beg you, Min Seo. Don’t hurt yourself…we miss you and we love you…and please know that Sung Byul loved you too.”

It was Yeon Rin calling her. As the message ended, Min Seo groaned and stood up. Her room was a mess. Bottles of empty vodka were everywhere, her bed and other furniture broken, and the box of the promo sprawled on the floor. Min Seo saw the box and went to get it, cleaning the dust off of it, even. She saw that there was only one card left. She picked it up and looked at it.

“Fruit Juice Girl…this card is a limited edition. The girl on this card is anonymous. If you want to accept the promo, just dial 9.”

Min Seo coughed. With nothing to do and with a disorganized mind, Min Seo grabbed her phone and dialed the number.

“Good evening, this is SK Telecom. The promo you have settled has been void because the child has already been adopted.”

“Are you kidding me?” Min Seo mumbled, her voice hoarse due to the vodka.

“However, we managed to have a substitute. She will be at your household in three days. Have a good day and thank you for being a loyal customer of SK Telecom.”

Min Seo hung up. She was still dizzy, the effect of the vodka lingering her senses. Instead of sleeping on her bedroom, she went to her living room and slumped on the couch.

***

Min Seo woke up. She groaned and wondered of a lot of things. What was the date today? How long was she asleep? What happened when she was knocked out?

*CRASH*

Min Seo looked outside and it was raining cats and dogs. She snickered, her feelings correlated to the weather. She checked the time and she gasped. Three days have passed! She’s been asleep for three goddamn days!

*RING*

“Hmm…I wonder who it could be?” Min Seo mumbled.

Min Seo sighed and went towards the door. As she opened the door, a familiar person greeted her vision. Min Seo froze as she saw a girl crying in front of her.

“Unnie…”

“Mi Na…” Min Seo spoke her name and felt tears flow from her eyes.

Mi Na was there, a bag by her feet, and her face showing the same emotion since she last saw her. Min Seo went closer to the girl and the crying cutie tackled her for a hug. Min Seo was quick to hug her back and Mi Na sobbed completely on her arms.

“Min Seo-unnie~” Mi Na sobbed.

“Thank goodness…h-how did you get here? I’ve been looking all over for you…” Min Seo sobbed.

Min Seo stood up but the girl hugged her tight, wanting her to stay by her side. Min Seo could hear Mi Na’s sobs as she grabbed her bag and carried her like a child. When they reached a spare room, which was Do Yeon’s room before, Min Seo puts the girl down.

“Unnie! Don’t go…” Mi Na looked up at her and cried again.

Min Seo gave a pitiful look at the girl. She wiped her tears and nodded. Besides, how could she leave Mi Na, the most cheerful girl she knew, crying because of her sister’s death?

“Min Seo-unnie will stay by your side. I won’t leave you, okay?”

Min Seo felt Mi Na snuggle onto her. Min Seo laid on the bed and pets Mi Na’s head. Mi Na fell asleep on Min Seo’s arms, her tears flowing continuously. Min Seo held onto Mi Na and cried with her for they couldn’t accept that Sung Byul was gone…

***

Min Seo was calling Yeon Rin. With Mi Na’s sudden appearance two days ago, she found out that she was the substitute for the promo. And with that, Yeon Rin visited and told Min Seo of anything Sung Byul left before she died.

“I got a note. It said that Sung Byul was planning to send Mi Na to the orphanage, hoping that you can take care of her. She thought it would be for a lifetime…but what Sung Byul didn’t know was that Mi Na became a substitute for an evaluation.”

“Sung Byul-unnie wanted to leave me at the orphanage?” Mi Na asked and she was in the brink of crying.

Min Seo comforted the child. Mi Na cried in Min Seo’s arms as Yeon Rin apologized of triggering Mi Na at some point.

“This is crazy…” Min Seo mumbled.

“I need to go now, Min Seo. Do call me if you and Mi Na need anything.”

Yeon Rin left the mansion. Min Seo sighed as she comforted Mi Na again.

“Min Seo-unnie…why did Unnie want to send me away? Doesn’t she love me?” Mi Na asked, crying.

“Shh…don’t say that. Your Sung Byul-unnie loved you most in the world. She did it to assure your future in case she passes on,” said Min Seo.

“Why didn’t she tell me that she has cancer? We could’ve fought through the problem together…because that’s what sisters do…” Mi Na sobbed.

The girl continued to sob. Min Seo lets her cry, feeling Mi Na hug her tight, her face nuzzled onto Min Seo’s neck. Min Seo felt terrible like Mi Na. But knowing her promise to Sung Byul, she will make sure to ease Mi Na’s pain, to take care of her, and to bring her cheerful self again.

***

Min Seo faces another day. She woke up with Mi Na snuggled onto her. She sighed, patting the girl’s head as she gets up.

“Unnie…no…stay here…” Mi Na woke up and pulled Min Seo closer to her.

“I just need to get breakfast for us. You need to eat, okay? I’ll get-“

“Andwae! Stay here…please…” Mi Na pleaded.

Min Seo pats the girl’s head. Ever since she took care of Mi Na, she couldn’t leave her side because Mi Na always wanted her to stay by her side. Min Seo got up, her hold on Mi Na’s hands still intact, and made her walk with her.

“Then you’ll come with me downstairs. Don’t worry. I’ll be by your side…always…”

Mi Na’s heart eased a little. She nodded and got up slowly, taking little steps forward. Min Seo was by her side as Mi Na got her sureness back, little by little. Like a little kid, Mi Na was guided by Min Seo until they got to the kitchen. As Min Seo moved away a bit, Mi Na was quick to hold Min Seo’s arm, not wanting to widen their distance.

“I’ll just be here. I’m not going anywhere. Why don’t you wait here while I make us some breakfast?”

Mi Na nodded. Min Seo gave an assuring smile, pets the girl’s head, and made breakfast closer so that Mi Na won’t get anxious. Mi Na looked at a busy Min Seo. Somehow, she felt relieved. Sure Sung Byul’s passing triggered her. Sung Byul was the most important person in her life. She was her only family…her sister…and since she was taken, her world fell down. But somehow, her crumbled world found its pieces together, little by little…all because of Min Seo.

***

Min Seo continued to stay by Mi Na’s side, guiding the girl back to her usual self. There were oftentimes Mi Na triggered in some scenarios that reminded her of Sung Byul. Min Seo tries her best to divert her thinking in a positive path, not wanting Mi Na to go into a breakdown. For her, the cheerful child cannot be broken down into a puddle of emotions.

“Okay, okay…look at this.” Min Seo said, showing a magic trick to Mi Na.

Mi Na watched as the coin disappeared. Min Seo tugs her hand at Mi Na’s Dumbo-like ears and got the coin. Mi Na laughed, clapping her hands. Min Seo smiled, her heart eased and happy to see Mi Na with her cheerful self.

“Do another one, unnie~” Mi Na cheered, showing her crescent smiles.

*KNOCK*

“One second?” Min Seo asked and the girl nodded.

Min Seo was quick to answer the door. Yeon Rin came inside. Mi Na was happy to see her as Yeon Rin got a box of chocolates for the cutie.

“Yay~ Gomawo, unnie.” Mi Na smiled.

Yeon Rin wowed at Min Seo. She was impressed and she could also cry, seeing that she took care of Mi Na like her life, just as she promised to Sung Byul. However, she remembered her real agenda of coming. She got a note from her bag and showed it to the two.

“What is that?” Min Seo asked.

“I don’t know. But it has Mi Na’s name on it.” Yeon Rin said.

Mi Na grabbed that note and opened it. Yeon Rin excused herself as she leaves the mansion again. Min Seo wanted to give the child her privacy when Mi Na held her hand.

“Unnie…I want you to stay,” she said.

Min Seo nodded and sat down. She watched Mi Na read the note. She noticed that the child was tearing up. Min Seo checked on her and Mi Na broke into another puddle of tears. Min Seo held the note, placed it on the table, and held Mi Na’s quivering hands with one hand, her arm wrapped around Mi Na as the child sobbed helplessly on her arms.

Move on from me, Mi Na-ya. Live with your Min Seo-unnie because I know she will take care of you and she will love you…just like how I cared and loved for you…

Min Seo saw that line on the letter and her hug on Mi Na got tighter. She remembered that this was only a promo. But being Sung Byul’s most trusted friend, she will do all means to keep that promise.

***

Min Seo’s days were spent on keeping Mi Na company. As much as she loves to care for Mi Na, she knew that being by her side almost all the time won’t suffice. She needed Mi Na to go outside, to interact with her friends again, to go to school, and to spend life like the rest of the children. But knowing Mi Na might go to a breakdown, she needed to guide her.

“Mi Na?”

“Yes, unnie?” Mi Na asked, showing her crescent smiles.

“Why don’t we go outside? Don’t you miss the outdoors?” Min Seo suggested.

“You’ll be there with me, right?” Mi Na asked, the gleam present on her cute eyes.

“Yeah, well-“

“I would love to, unnie…but I want you to be there in every step of the way.” Mi Na cheered.

“Even at school? Come on, Mi Na…I won’t be there all the time. I have work.” Min Seo reasoned.

Mi Na frowned. She crossed her arms and made an angry pout. Min Seo sighed but deep down, she was ogling of Mi Na’s cuteness.

“Then I won’t go anywhere. I’ll only you go if you’re with me…always…” Mi Na said cutely.

Min Seo was going nuts. Sure she was doing her best and all but Mi Na can’t be like this for the rest of her life. As she was greeted by a cute Mi Na in front of her, her arms around her, hugging her tight, she chuckled and patted the girl’s head.

“Alright.”

“Thank you, unnie.” Mi Na said.

“You’re welcome.”

“I love you…”

Min Seo gulped. She looked at Mi Na, her eyes closed, a smile plastered on her face, and her arms were around Min Seo.

“Unnie loves you too…”

She loves Mi Na…just as much as Sung Byul did…

***

Despite of Min Seo’s promise to be there for Mi Na, she trained her to go on her own. Mi Na was against it at first, fearing she would lose Min Seo like how she lost Sung Byul. But Min Seo told her there was nothing to worry about and that she won’t be gone in Mi Na’s life. In the end, Mi Na lived normally. She went to school, got to see her friends again, and got home without any hesitations or breakdowns. As of now, she was with Do Yeon. She had a bag of treats on her hand as she wanted to give them to Min Seo. And just with the of luck, she saw Min Seo and Yeon Rin.

“Unnie?”

“Huh?” Yeon Rin poked Min Seo and they met.

“Mi Na…what are you…” Yeon Rin was stunned, seeing Mi Na interacting again.

“I taught her that. She’s my dongsaeng after all,” said Min Seo.

“Hello, Yeon Rin-unnie.” Mi Na bowed.

“Yes, hello…” Yeon Rin greeted back.

“Min Seo-unnie, you look tired and hungry after work so I went to the market with Do Yeon with some pocket money to buy treats for you. I did a great job, right?” Mi Na and Do Yeon smiled, showing their bags.

Yeon Rin clapped. Min Seo chuckled and hugged the both of them, mostly Mi Na.

“Ah, Yeon Rin-unnie…this is for you…” Do Yeon said, giving a bag to Yeon Rin.

“Wait a minute…you’ve been part of this promo, aren’t you?” Min Seo raised an eyebrow.

“Well…yeah-see you later. Come on, Do Yeon-ah.” Yeon Rin said.

Do Yeon nodded and they left Mi Na and Min Seo. Min Seo chuckled of the short unnie and the tall dongsaeng. Mi Na tackled Min Seo for a hug and the both of them went back home.

***

Mi Na was cooking something for their dinner. She waited and got it ready wherein she took a peek at the living room. Min Seo was there, sitting on the couch and was fast asleep. Mi Na went closer to her sleeping unnie and got a good look at her. She felt grateful and guilty for her unnie. She was eternally grateful for everything Min Seo did for her. She was guilty for letting Min Seo carry all her burden and letting her sacrifice her time just to be there for her aid.

*chu*

Min Seo’s eyes opened as she felt something on her cheek. She looked to the right and glimpsed at Mi Na who just kissed her cheek. Min Seo got up and asked the little one of her concerns.

“There’s none, unnie. I just want to kiss your cheek for being the best unnie and for loving me as much as Sung Byul-unnie did. Also, you looked cute.” Mi Na answered.

Min Seo motioned Mi Na to come closer. Mi Na nodded and Min Seo tackled her for a power hug. Mi Na chuckled and hugged her back.

“This hug is for you…for being such a wonderful blessing in my life. I promise to take care of you…just as much as your Sung Byul-unnie did for you.” Min Seo spoke.

“I love you, Min Seo-unnie…” Mi Na said.

“I love you, too, Mi Na-ya…” Min Seo said back.

“Unnie…can you do me a favor?” Mi Na asked.

“Sure.” Min Seo answered.

“Can we visit Sung Byul-unnie?”

***

Min Seo granted Mi Na’s request and as of now, they were at the cemetery, visiting Sung Byul’s grave. Mi Na puts flowers by the stone as Min Seo watched the little one while meditating of Sung Byul’s presence.

“Hey, unnie. I miss you. I’ve been such a wreck that I wonder…how could I survive a life without my only family?” Mi Na began as she cried.

“Why didn’t you tell me that you were suffering? Why did you have to face this problem yourself? I thought we were sisters…that we were family? What happened to ‘nobody gets left behind or forgotten’?”

Min Seo stood there, watching Mi Na mourn for her Unnie. She would be comforting the girl instantly but somewhere deep into her heart, she had to let Mi Na say everything to her unnie.

“But unnie…I thank you. I thank you that you left me with Min Seo-unnie…because she reminded me of you…” Mi Na said and Min Seo reacted.

“Min Seo-unnie has been our lifesaver. She made us stop our little fight in the studio, treated us, and grew worried of us despite of the circumstances. Unnie…I love you so much. Thank you for being there for me, for all those memories we shared…and for being the best Unnie in the world. I’m going to move on for you, Unnie. I’m going to be happy…because Min Seo-unnie will be there for and she will never leave me…”

Min Seo looked at Mi Na then at stone. She sighed and tears fell on her face.

I’m sorry, Sung Byul-ah…but I might not be able to keep your promise…

***

Min Seo was at the balcony, sitting by the veranda while looking at the stars. She placed her face by her arms and sighed, a lot of thoughts were on her head once more. Her peace was disrupted when she felt arms around her. She felt something nuzzling onto her shoulder as she sat up and faced the person.

“Mi Na…what is it?” Min Seo asked.

“I was looking for you, unnie,” said Mi Na.

Mi Na scooted towards her unnie and sat in front of her. Mi Na grabs Min Seo’s arms and wraps them around her. Min Seo smiled and hugged Mi Na from the back as they watch the stars together.

“Unnie…I can’t believe I’m saying this but…you won’t be by my side forever, right?”

Min Seo’s eyes dilated. She never thought Mi Na could embrace it. She wrapped Mi Na tighter as Mi Na leaned onto Min Seo.

“Mi Na…I…”

“Unnie, I may be a kid on an evaluation promo but…please pick me. I know I’m being selfish to the other children. It’s just that…you’re the only person I have now…”

Min Seo watched as Mi Na faced her. Mi Na didn’t cry this time but she yawned lightly as she held Min Seo’s cheek.

“You’ve been like my second unnie next to Sung Byul-unnie. When she died, I thought I had no one to lean onto…but you were there, Min Seo-unnie. You helped me throughout these past few weeks, guiding me and teaching me how to continuously live on life. You made me live…for Sung Byul-unnie…and I don’t know what I do without you…”

“Mi Na…” Mi Na tackled Min Seo for a hug.

“Unnie, please stay with me. I need you, unnie…” Mi Na mumbled.

“Promise me you won’t leave me...” She added, leaning onto Min Seo’s shoulders.

“I promise.” Min Seo spoke, the words slipped off of .

“Cross your heart?” Mi Na asked.

Min Seo’s eyes dilated as she looked at a sleeping Mi Na on her arms. Min Seo adjusts her position, her head laid on her shoulder and her body placed by her arms, like a bride carried by  her groom.

“Cross my heart…” Min Seo mumbled as she made a cross onto her heart.

Min Seo looked up. She sighed as she wondered of what awaits her in the days to come.

“Yah, Sung Byul-ah…what did you drag me into?” Min Seo mumbled, looking up the sky.

She could only laugh it off. But somehow, for Mi Na’s sake, she had to do something to settle things once and for all…

 

That was the eleventh. Sorry if I broke my promise in posting frequently. TT