A Subtle Unsettled

Telecom Sisters

Min Seo woke up in another wonderful day. Usually, she would wake up so early due to her jobs but now, she had that settled.

Monday- Editor-in-Chief in the Korean Plateau (her own newspaper)

Tuesday - Artist in 1stClass Entertainment

Wednesday- IT specialist in Intel Korea

Thursday- Physical Therapist in Seoul Hospital

Friday- Accountant in Metrobank

And during the weekends, she was at home. She would settle with her online businesses, write another story for her newspaper, watch tutorials for her artistry and being an IT specialist, and did her usual house chores. Min Seo wouldn’t call herself a busy woman. For her, no one is busy. It’s all about prioritizing.

*KNOCK*

Min Seo got up to see who it was. As she peeked onto the door’s peephole, she opened the door to greet her friend Sung Byul.

“Min Seo-ah…” Min Seo noticed a different side in Sung Byul.

“Yes? What is it?” Min Seo asked while she lets her sit down.

“Can I share something?” She asked and Min Seo nodded hastily.

“Sure, Sung Byul. You can tell me,” said Min Seo.

Sung Byul and Min Seo sat by the couch. Min Seo waited for Sung Byul to answer but she gasped when Sung Byul broke into tears.

“Sung Byul…what happened-“

“I…I have cancer.” She confessed and it hit her.

“What?!!”

Min Seo gulped. What a way to greet her morning: a friend who just confessed of having a pandemic inside her own body!

“Sung Byul…I…are you alright? Did you conduct a check-up?” Min Seo asked.

“I have…I still need to verify it and know the stage. I don’t want Mi Na to worry about me.” She answered and I was so hurt.

“Let me settle that,” Min Seo said as she grabbed her iPhone 5c and called someone.

“Hello, Dr. Sedigo? This is Min Seo. When do you have a vacant time, doc? You see, I want to reserve an appointment with my friend here. Could you assess her for me? Really? Okay, doc. Thank you so much… yes doc… I’ll see you at the clinic soon.” Sung Byul could hear Min Seo babble.

As she hung up, Min Seo held Sung Byul’s hand and said:

“He said yes. You have to visit him on Tuesday. How about I’ll come with you? Let’s skip practice for once.” Min Seo suggested.

Instead of answering her with a yes or no, Sung Byul reached to her and hugged her tight. Min Seo sighed and comforted her.

“Min Seo…how could you be so good to me? We barely know each other for a long time and now you’re helping me…” Sung Byul cried.

“I have to, Sung Byul. We’re friends. Let me help you through this.” Min Seo said.

As much as Min Seo stopped helping people much, she couldn’t help but do so. It has been her instinct to help and with Sung Byul hiding it from her little sister Mi Na, it hit her. She had to help.

“Min Seo…what’s that?” She asked while looking at something.

Min Seo looked towards where she was looking at and saw the box from yesterday. She sighed and grabbed it.

“It’s a prize I won. It’s about adopting children or something.” Min Seo mumbled.

“Have you tried opening it?” Sung Byul asked.

“Not yet. Maybe I’ll try it later,” said Min Seo.

“Okay. I need to go. I still need to pick up Mi Na from school,” said Sung Byul, getting up on her seat.

“Speaking of which, how old is Mi Na?” Min Seo asked.

“She’s 17 years old. We have a gap of 10 years. She’s now in senior high,” said Sung Byul.

“If you’re wondering why I’m picking her up, she really wants to. I told her that you’re too old to get picked up by your unnie but she would whine. What a baby…” She added and Min Seo laughed.

“Then again, I want to do it. I’d do anything for Mi Na. I’m like you, Min Seo. You’d do anything for your sisters despite of the odds. And me being an unnie, I’d do whatever it takes for my dongsaeng. Anyways, see you on Tuesday.” Sung Byul finished and left.

Min Seo bids goodbye to Sung Byul and was all alone in the mansion. Min Seo thought about what Sung Byul said and it made her heart flutter a little. And with her reminder of trying out the box, Min Seo opened it. Inside, there were 11 pictures that looked like the children in the flyer. Min Seo picked one and it read:

I.O.I Care Center’s Children Selection Cards

In Association with SK Telecom and P101 Company, we give you these cards for you have won the promo for this year. In order to start with the promo, follow the steps enlisted in each card. Each card has a child with her distinct characteristics. Pick one to start your promo.

Min Seo shrugged and picked the pink card in the center.

“Choi Yoo Jung…Freshly Cute…” Min Seo read.

She flipped the card horizontally. It was a set of instructions through the telecom. She grabbed her phone and went through the instructions step by step.

  1. Dial *101#.
  2. If you have chosen this card, type ‘3’.
  3. Press 1 to subscribe.
  4. Then, the child will be sent to you through door-to-door process.

“Okay…then I’ll wait.” Min Seo said.

With that settled she went to her workstation and continued to write a new story.

***

Evening has passed and Min Seo was at the couch waiting for the package. With every second passing, she was getting restless. Three hours passed and there was nothing. She sighed and decided to go to her room to sleep.

“Aish…that was one heck of a total rip-off. I should switch to KT Corporation this time…” I mumbled.

“Unnie~~”

I stopped and my gaze focused on the door. I wondered who it was again. I went to the door and slowly opened it. And as I opened it fully, I was shocked. There was a cute girl wearing a giraffe kigurimi.

“Min Seo-unnie~~” She said cutely, her fists curled up against each other.

“Wow~ what a big house~” The cute girl went inside and got rid of her hood.

I was still shocked but five seconds later, I laughed a little. I was in awe of this girl. She was so cute.

“Why is it like this? Why are you alone, unnie? If like this, I’m going to be sad.”

“But now, you’ll be happy now that I’m here, then we’ll both be happy~” She said, wrapping her arms around Min Seo.

“Unnie…so…you’re Yoo Jung? And you calling me ‘unnie’…you’re my younger sister? You’re my dongsaeng?” I asked excitedly while pointing at myself.

“Your house is so big, unnie. It must be so boring. Let’s play together, unnie~” Yoo Jung grabbed Min Seo’s arm.

“Then, we’ll sleep together and I’ll make you something to eat tomorrow, hm? Now spend the night with me, Min Seo-unnie~” She added and cuddled up to Min Seo.

“Aish…so cute~” Min Seo giggled and smiled widely at Yoo Jung.

Yoo Jung laughed and she and Min Seo did everything for the night. And when Yoo Jung was tired, Min Seo carried her to a vacant yet pretty room. She laid her there but then she whined for she wanted to sleep with Min Seo. Min Seo sighed and they slept on her bedroom instead. Yoo Jung cuddled up to her and slept peacefully. Min Seo sighed and she was so happy. She pets Yoo Jung’s head and slept with her. For Min Seo, her three hours with her little sister went so well. Now, she was more excited to be with her in the days to come.

***

“UNNIE~”

Min Seo jolted, waking herself up in an instant. She yawned, rubbed her eyes, and felt something on her cheek. She turned around and there was Yoo Jung, already up like a fresh flower.

“Good morning, Min Seo-unnie.” Yoo Jung greeted.

“Morning, Yoo Jung-ah.” Min Seo said, patting the girl’s head.

“Breakfast is ready. Come on. I made you some kimchi soup~” She said cutely again.

Min Seo nodded and was about to fix her bed when Yoo Jung grabbed her and dragged her towards the dining room. They were there in a flash and Min Seo felt dazed by Yoo Jung’s sudden actions. Despite of that, she saw down and wowed with the plate of food on the table. Yoo Jung grabbed a bowl using her oven mitts and served the bowl to Min Seo.

“Tada~ Looks tasty~?” Yoo Jung asked, opening the lid.

“Woah~! This looks deicious~” Min Seo said as she grabbed a spoon.

“I learned this from Teacher Chef Baek Jong Won~” Yoo Jung said and I was proud of that.

“I really appreciate it! Shall I take a bite~?” Min Seo asked yet I tackled onto the soup.

“Wait…” She said and I stopped.

“Wait, when I was making this, I chop chop chop chop chop chop the spring onions and sprinkle sprinkle sprinkle the pepper~” Yoo Jung shared, finding her so subtle in the best of Min Seo’s ways.

“D’awwww~ you did?” Min Seo asked and Yoo Jung made a cute gesture at her.

“Now, Unnie will enjoy the food~”

“Wait! Listen to what I’m saying.” Yoo Jung stopped her again.

“I also sprinkle sprinkle sprinkle the salt~”

“Ah~ I see~” Min Seo responded again and tackled onto the soup again.

“Ah, I told you to listen!” Yoo Jung whined and slapped the spoon off of Min Seo’s hand.

“When I was making this, I say ‘I only love Min Seo-unnie’ while I put in the garlic!”

And it continued for a long time. Min Seo gasped of this. Despite of that, she had her patience and made Yoo Jung stop when she pulled her to sit down and shoved a spoon of rice on . She used her psychological skills and intercepted Yoo Jung with her words, making her obey and they ate together again. Min Seo sighed and shrugged it off and couldn’t help about the cute Choi Yoo Jung.

***

A week later, Min Seo settled with her promo to SK Telecom and got a copy of some information. She obeyed what was written and managed to let Yoo Jung be home-schooled while she was at work. She also got to spend time with Yoo Jung. They would have fun all day and Yoo Jung would always cuddle up to her every night when they sleep. Everything was going well for the past week…until…

‘*sigh*…success…’ Min Seo thought.

She was at the comfort room, doing her business. Even though she was relieved, it still hit her senses for the second time. She did ‘it’ again when-

“Unnie!” The door flung open and there was Yoo Jung.

Min Seo flipped her magazine on the wet floor and was shocked of Yoo Jung’s assault. She sighed and held onto the door tight to cover herself a bit.

“Look at my expression.” Yoo Jung and she pressed the remote.

The song “Bang Bang” by Jessie J ft. Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj filled the whole house and Yoo Jung danced in front of her. She swayed her torso on one side, made a come-hither with her hand, and swayed on the other side again.

“How is it? It’s the best, right?” She asked while dancing.

“Yoo Jung-jjang.” Min Seo uttered and closed the door.

“I asked you which is better!” Yoo Jung kicked the door open again.

“This one…or this one? Which is better?” Yoo Jung showed some expressions, asking her unnie again.

“Yoo Jung-ah…Unnie’s doing her business right now. I’ll tell you that BOTH of them are the best.” Min Seo mumbled.

Yoo Jung giggled and left her. Min Seo closed the door and the urge disappeared. She sighed and thought about the promo. When the two weeks passed, it was all so twisted and different. She couldn’t do much since Yoo Jung asks her too much of her cuteness. Sometimes, the cuteness was starting to get into her nerves that she was losing herself. She sighed again and decided to continue on her day with Yoo Jung.

***

Three weeks passed and Min Seo and Yoo Jung were at their bedroom. Instead of sleeping peacefully, Yoo Jung turned up the music so loud and danced on the bed, jumping up and down, wearing shades, and holding the remote like a microphone. For Min Seo, she worked without getting any rest so she was super tired. And with Yoo Jung as an addition, if felt like she was dying in fatigue.

“Unnie, this is a sound of a chimpanzee!” Yoo Jung said as she took off her shades.

She imitated the sound of the chimpanzee and it was louder than the music. Min Seo’s eyes were showing bags and she tears up a little.

“A chimpanzee ya!!” Yoo Jung screamed and continued to imitate its sound.

Min Seo face-palmed herself and searched through the box. She read her card and checked the calendar. It was still a week to go before Yoo Jung would be taken back to the care center again and someone else will pick her. She grabbed her pillow and decided to ignore the noise, to sleep, and just let Yoo Jung tire herself.

***

The next day, Min Seo woke up and felt something heavy on her chest. She looked down and Yoo Jung was dozed off, the shades still on her. She got rid of the shades and lets her sleep well. She did dance all night and might’ve exhausted herself off.

“I don’t want to go back to that man…” Yoo Jung mumbled on her sleep.

“I don’t want to go back. I want to stay with Min Seo-unnie…” She added.

*gasp*

Yoo Jung was about to wake up and Min Seo grew worried for the little one. She hugged her close and comforted her in her sleep. Then, Min Seo heard her cry. She reacted and didn’t notice Yoo Jung got up, crying. Min Seo hugged her and asked what’s wrong.

“I had a nightmare, unnie. I’d be sent back to the center again and be taken care of by another person. I had my first brother but he was so cruel that he’d yell at me for being so annoying. But you’re different, Min Seo-unnie. You’re so caring, kind, and sweet. I never thought you could handle a cute yet feisty child like me.” Yoo Jung confessed.

Min Seo never thought that Yoo Jung, the cute and feisty one, could be this sensitive. She sighed and hugged the little one again.

“Yah…how could I not handle a cutie like you? You’re my dongsaeng, remember?”

Yoo Jung hugged her back and cried on her arms. Min Seo wanted to let her stay but the promo prevented her to do so. This isn’t the real thing. It’s an evaluation period. Even if she’s going to pick Yoo Jung, what about the rest of the children who aren’t picked? She thought it would be unfair. She sighed and decided to cherish her last moments with the cute Yoo Jung.

***

The next day came and Min Seo and Yoo Jung were having a blast. It was a day-off for the sisters from their work and school and they decided to chill at their home.

“Can you do this, unnie?” Yoo Jung asked as she imitated the chimpanzee.

“Ne.” Min Seo joined in, making a lower version of the voice.

“Daebak~ how about this?” Yoo Jung exhaled.

“I DREAMED OF A GHOST~!!” Yoo Jung yelled like a little kid.

“Sure.” Min Seo and did many versions.

Yoo Jung heard some from Japan, China, India, France, and Germany. Yoo Jung laughed hard again as they continued to mock each other.

“Haha…you’re off the hook, Yoo Jung-ah.” Min Seo said.

“No. You’re off the hook,” said Yoo Jung, pushing Min Seo lightly.

“Unnie?” Yoo Jung asked, going to a serious point.

“Yes…?” Min Seo asked as Yoo Jung held her hand tight.

“Make the company change their mind. Please let me stay.”

“Yoo Jung-ah…what about you sisters who have no families? It would be unfair, right?” Min Seo reasoned.

“I know…but I really want you to be my unnie.” Yoo Jung mumbled.

Yoo Jung leaned onto Min Seo and hugged her. Min Seo thought about it. If she can see all the children at the same time, she would’ve adopted all of them. But despite of the company’s restrictions, Min Seo vowed to find a way to adopt the children herself.

***

Min Seo and Yoo Jung spent the last week on a vacation. Min Seo was fine with the week-off. Money and grace were on her favor anyway. They went to Jeju Island. Yoo Jung chose some spots she wanted to see and Min Seo was obliged to have what she wants. They ate delicious food, saw some sights, and had fun. Yoo Jung was having the time of her life. She was reminded of her life before and all of this sums up to one thing: She was happier with Min Seo.

“Unnie…gomawo…” Yoo Jung said, kissing Min Seo’s cheek.

“You’re welcome. You deserve it.” Min Seo said.

“I promise to be the best dongsaeng ever.” Yoo Jung hugged her tight.

“I know you will.” Min Seo said.

The hug lasted long. Min Seo sighed and hugged her back with twice the passion. The moon in Jeju rose and shone brightly as another day waits for the youngest sibling having her youngest sister.

***

Yoo Jung figured the real thing when they got home and she wasn’t happy. She cried and hugged Min Seo tight as the client together with a representative of the promo came to pick Yoo Jung up to her new home.

“I don’t want to. I want to stay here with you~” Yoo Jung whined.

“You can’t, Yoo Jung-ah.” Min Seo said.

“But I choose you! I want you to be my unnie!” Yoo Jung whined again.

“Come on. You need to go.” Min Seo said as she called for the representative.

Yoo Jung shook her head. Min Seo wiped her tears away and said:

“I will see you again.”

“Really? Will I really see you again?” Yoo Jung asked while making a pout.

“You will soon. Now go.” Min Seo answered.

“Pick me, Min Seo-unnie.” Yoo Jung said and kissed her cheek.

Yoo Jung became obedient and went with the representative and her new relative. As they left, Min Seo sighed, closed the door and slumped on her bed. She was relieved to get a bit of peace and quiet but then, she missed Yoo Jung’s cute and feisty side, mostly Yoo Jung herself.

‘Aish…I’m bothered.’ She thought.

She grabbed the box again and gazed on the cards. She read the instructions again and noticed a rule she didn’t see before.

Once you’re finished with one card, put the chosen card on the big slot at the bottom. Store the chosen card then pick a new one.

Min Seo checked the bottom slot on the box and saw 11 vacant slots. She placed Yoo Jung’s card on the first slot and went to pick a new one. She picked a card on the side and it read:

“Im Na Young…Graceful Lady…”

“Graceful lady? She might be a little quiet, right?” Min Seo asked herself while flipping the card to the other side.

  1. Dial *101#.
  2. If you have chosen this card, type ‘10’.
  3. Press 1 to subscribe.
  4. Then, the child will be sent to you through door-to-door process.
  5. WARNING. This one can cause ear damage. Make sure to create noise as much as possible.

Min Seo shrugged it off and waits for another month with another child to choose and take care of.

 

 

 

That was Chapter 1 everyone. Mind me for the plot. My writing conscience has been a little off. Stay tuned.