Ontae PG

Prompts and Drabbles

Ontae #14 “Never in a million years.”

A companion to Chapter 16

Warnings:  Unrequited love and bitter bff Jonghyun


Jonghyun heard Jinki’s laugh from across the room.  He downed his glass of champagne in almost one gulp, immediately reaching for the one next to him.  Only a sip had been taken from it during the toast and it’s owner had disappeared leaving the drink behind.  Jonghyun shrugged and downed that one too.  

Taemin was nearly doubled over laughing, his nose crinkling, smile wide, holding onto Jinki. 

The dining hall was small but that’s all they had really needed.  It was an intimate ceremony with only a few of their closest friends, neither side had families that attended, both disapproving of the marriage.  

Who could possibly disapprove of this?  Jonghyun thought.  Even through his bitterness he watched the newly wed couple.  If they weren’t smiling and laughing, they were looking at each other with complete and total adoration.  

He cursed to himself.  If they had a bigger ceremony there would be more champagne he thought, looking around to see if there were any other unattended glasses.  

“Here.”  Jonghyun turned to see Taemin holding out a champagne flute.  “You look like you needed this.”

Taemin had come to him leaving Jinki and Minho going on loudly about something.  Minho was doing something really weird with his face and Jonghyun didn’t even try to figure it out.  “Thanks.”  He gladly took the drink, sipping it this time.

“Are you okay?”

Jonghyun looked at him confused.  “I’m fine.  Why?”

Taemin nodded.  “I know.”

“You know what?”

“About your feelings for Jinki.”

Well .  Jonghyun downed the remaining alcohol, not really caring if he looked like a lush at this point.  Never in a million years would he have pictured himself here.  Why can’t the ground just open up and swallow him whole right now?

“It’s okay.”  Taemin backtracked a little.  “I mean…I’m not angry or anything.  I just want you to be happy to.”

Jonghyun knew Taemin was trying to help, but this conversation was just dragging his pride through the dirt.  “I am happy Taemin.  I’m happy for you both.”  Jonghyun thanked the gods that Jinki was headed this way.  

Jinki hugged Taemin from behind.  “Ready to go hubby?  I think it’s time I get you back to the honeymoon suite.”

Jonghyun snorted.  “You mean your apartment.”

Jinki glared at him but couldn’t stop smiling.  “Tonight it’s our honeymoon suite.”  He bit at Taemin’s ear playfully. 

~

The couple said their goodbyes to the few remaining guests before getting in their getaway car.  Which just happened to be Taemin’s silver hatchback Honda Civic decorated with balloons, cans and window chalk.  

Jonghyun stood outside and watched them drive away.  He was contemplating on walking to the nearest bar when a bottle was pressed into his chest.  

“Here.”  Jonghyun looked up at Minho taking the bottle of champagne.   “You looked like you could use it.”

Jonghyun couldn’t help but laugh.  “Am I that obvious?”

Minho just shrugged.

“Fine.  Fine.  But you better go find another bottle, because you’re coming back to my place and drinking with me.”