Better Than Movies

It's Over

Our life is like the drama and movies we see on TV. We are the actors or the protagonists of our own stories. But still, it is not as perfect as those stories on dramas, Mingyu know that. Mingyu's life is definitely not like the movies. It's worst. His life is obviously opposite to thhose movies, it doesn't have happy ending. Mingyu doesn't even remember when he felt the genuine happiness in his life. Ever since he was born, he thinks that bad luck has become his twin. When the world showers all the burdens he was like standing in the middle filling up an olympic sized pool. Mingyu thought that he had felt all types of pain the world can offer. Name it, Mingyu surely knows how it feels, as far as he remembers.

 

 

Mingyu grew up in a family where silence and peace are unknown. He grew up witnessing the shoutings, flying plates, slamming doors and sobbings that happened within the four corners of their home - well, if you can still call it home. Love is obviously absent in this family. Whenever Mingyu's father lost in gamblings, he always put his frustration on Mingyu and his mom. He will slap and kick and hit Mingyu's mom until all his anger had released, until his mom gotten so weak. But most of the time, Mingyu is the main target. Mingyu is his mother's child from another man. He happens to be the result of his mom's depression. One night, his mom and his dad - stepdad, had their first major fight. His mom caught his stepdad having an affair. His stepdad denied it but his mom insist. And the hitting and exchanging of foul words between the two started. Mingyu's sister, the first child of his mom and stepdad, tried to comfort their mom. But because of extreme emotions, she walked away and stayed at the club for that night. There she met a random guy and they had a one night stand. She regrets it. She loves her husband so much that she will forgive him over and over again so she came back home. But after some months the secret has been unfold, Mingyu was formed on her womb. And the moment that Mingyu starts to speak, it was also the moment that his stepfather starts to use him as a punching bag. "Dad stop!" is probably his first words. His mom can't accept seeing him being tortured so she sacrifices her own body to take all the hit and punch of her husband. Whenever it happens, Mingyu is on his room, silently sobbing while watching from his slightly opened door.

 

 

After the fight, Mingyu will go to his bed and cry on his pillows. Just like a habit, also after the said incident, his door will opens and Mingyu will sat up to welcome the one who enters with open arms. And there he will continue to cry on his safe haven, his sister's arms. Minri, Mingyu's noona, is the only person in that house who is exempted on the violence. She's the first and legal child, so their dad really loves her and spoiled her. But Minri loves her younger brother. It hurts also to her whenever she sees her mom and brother being hurt. She hates to see the crying. She tries to stop her dad on abusing them but she can't do anything. Her dad doesn't wants her to involve herself. Her dad doesn't listens to her begs and pleads. So the only thing she could do is t show her mom and Mingyu that they are loved, especially Mingyu. As a five years old child, he don't deserve to be treated like this. It's not his fault, anyway. Minri is always there to cure Mingyu's cuts, bruise and even his broken heart. She stays on Mingyu's room until he fell asleep. Whenever their dad is at work, Minri always take Mingyu out. They will bond at the park, mall and anywhere so Mingyu forget everything, even just for a while. And tha'ts the reason why Mingyu loves her so much. She is his only reasonn to smile, to laugh, to live and to love. Mingyu's mom tries to abandoned him because she doesn't want to see him being hurt too much. But Minri didn't let that happen. She look after and take care of his brother. She never lefft Mingyu's side. Mingyu stays stronger because of his sister.

 

 

But not until an accident happened. Mingyu is on his junior year in high school when his sister got into a car accident. Mingyu's world had already shattered, but now it's badly devastated. He felt so alone, he has nothing now, he is nothing. He doesnt have no one to run to when he wants someone to cry on. No one will listen to his stories. The arms he holds for all this years,, he's only safe haaven has already gone. Mingyu feels like giving up on his life. But no, Minri taught him how to be strong so he moved on and tries to start a new life. He don't want to disappoint his noona. Anyway, he believes that Minri will hold on to her promise. She won't leave Mingyu's sid forever. Maybe, not physically but she will always be in Mingyu's heart.

 

 

Mingyu starts to live alone. His mom transferred to him Mingri's bank account. Mingyu's stepdad doesn't mind, as long as Mingyu will be out of his sight. Mingyu moved in a dorm near his school. He doesn't want to just depend on his sister's money, so Mingyu find a part-time job to support his daily needs. At morning, he goes to school and at the evening he works as a cashier in a convenience store.

 

 

Living alone is not easy, especially on Mingyu's situation. He shared the dorm with some of students also studying on the sam school as him. Seungkwan, a sophomore student, is kinda loud and messy. He always love to eat while watching tv. But he didn't like to clean. Everytime Mingyu will go home, he always found the dorm unorganized and littery. He got used to it. He was not expecting Jihoon, a senior student, will do the cleaning since he is always locked inside his room and barely talk to them. Sometimes, Minghao, same year as Mingyu, will offer some help. Mingyu appreciates the guy though sometimes he was really shy that he is scared to help Mingyu. But the taller understands him, he understands them. Mingyu is not bothered at all. He doesn't mind if his dormmates are being brat sometimes and always depending on him. Mingyu loves them. Well, it's nature to him. He always wants to show care and love to others especially to his friends. Ever since Minri passed away, he promised to himself that he will be like his sister. He wants the other feel what Minri made him feel. To be loved.

 

 

Despite of being a happy kiddo, we can't remove the fact that bad luck is really his twin brother. A month before his graduation day, Mingyu has been fired on his part-time job. He was accussed by stealing some money on the counter. But the truth is he was framed-up by his co-worker and his classmate in History class, Kwon Soonyoung. According to Jun, also their co-worker, Soonyoung did it because of his long time envy to Mingyu. Mingyu's girlfriend is happened to be Soonyoung's first love. Mingyu had nothing to do with it since the damage has been done. He will just find a new job. But just a week after, Mingyu's girlfriend, also his first love same with Soonyoung-- broke up with him. He can't accept it since the girl has no specific valid reason for breaking up. Graduation day came and Kim Mingyu doesn't know what to feel. Be happy because he will graduate with honors or mourn because of the heart breaking events that happened to him.

 

 

But as expected, Kim Mingyu remains happy and positive. These pains.. it's nothing compared to all his sufferings before. He already got immuned with all this pain.

 

 

Finding job is never easy. Having a bad record on your past work also adds more difficulty for Mingyu to be hired. He wants to blame Soonyoung for this, but no.. it's his fate, he thought. But another depressing moment happened. On his way home, after a long day of job hunting, Mingyu was cornered by some robbers. He knows that life has been so rude to them, but despite of it, he still wants to live. He loves his life. So in order to save his own life, he surrendered to the robbers his phone and wallet. The robbers immediately run away after taking Mingyu's things. Good thing, he don't really have that much money on his wallet and his phone is already a faced out model, so Mingyu doesn't really mind losing it. But to conclude, it is indeed Mingyu's bad day.

 

 

---------------------------

 

 

Mingyu always spend his Sunday morning on the park where Minri used to brought him when he was a kid. Mingyu sits up from his laying on the grass. He releases a sigh that he seems to hold for the longest time.

 

 

He look up at the sky, "Hey you! Fate? Destiny? What ever you call yourself..You really love me, huh? I feel so special." Mingyu said in sarcasm and he frowns. He lay back again on the grass with his arms as his pillow. He sighs again, "What do you expect Kim Mingyu? You are not made out of love. You are made of sin." he told himself, "I guess, I was really born to suffer." Mingyu closes his eyes. He feels the fresh air embracing his body. He takes this moment to clear his mind and listen to his surroundings. Thelovely birds chriping, the laughters of the children, the sound of the feets running, the sobbing of someone near him, the be--- Wait. What?

 

 

Mingyu sat up again. He furrowed his brows as he try to listen again on what he heard, hoping that he mistakenly heard it. But as he turn to his back.. he heard it right.

 

 

"Isn't it too early to witness this kind of scenario?" he muttered when he saw a guy not too far away from his position..crying.

 

 

He moves a little closer to the guy and he gets the phone on his pocket. Jeonghan, his room mate on his new apartment, let him use his other phone so they can have a contact with each other, in case of emergency. But it's just temporary. Mingyu will buy a new phone for himself soon. He went to the playlist on the phone and he look for a familiar lovely song. Mingyu remembers what Minri told him. Whenever he feel lonely, he just have to sing or listen to music. He don't trust his voice so he'll just play a song for the crying boy. But as he scroll down at the playlist, he can't find the perfect one. Mingyu stops as he saw an unfamiliar foreign song. "Born for you? Is this good?" he mumbled. Mingyu tries to listen and play the song. But the moment the intro runs, the guy near him cries harder. Mingyu panics so he immediately stops the music.

 

 

"Omg! I'm so sorry. I thought the song can make you feel better. Aish! I think I made the situation worst." he bites his lower lips as he move on the side of the guy. He offers his hankie to the crying boy but the other didn't accept it and he turn around. The guy told him to leave but Mingyu insists. He don't like seeing someone crying, he really wants to comfort the guy. Mingyu tilts his head to check the boy's crying face. For some unknown reason, Mingyu found himself smiling as he look to the other. But it suddenly turns into a frown when he look on the guy's eyes. "You're eyes are already swelling. How long have you been crying?"

 

 

"It is none of your business" the boy said finally facing Mingyu. And Mingyu smiles again. Everything stops. Everyone and everything around Mingyu stops. The only thing he can see and hear is the guy crying in front of him. He can feel his heart beating so fast. How can a crying face be this beautiful? No. How can a man be this so beautiful? It's weird. But.. but it's wonderful. He is wonderful. Mingyu was snapped out of his thoughts when the guy turns his back again.

 

 

Mingyu saw the guy looking at his phone. Ang as he glance on it, the guy is looking at the picture on his phone. Mingyu supposed,it his him and his boyfriend(?) Because the two seems to be so close and sweet in the photo. But Mingyu is not really sure so he tried to make a conclusion to see how will the guy react. Mingyu smirks and asked the guy -- but sounded as a statement, "So, you are crying because of that jerk."

 

 

The guy looks at him but now with an intense glare, "How dare you call Seungcheol like that? You.. you don't know him! I don't know you either.!" Mingyu apologizes because the guy was offended. Mingyu feels really bad for the guy. He still interrogates the guy and in the end he found out that the guy was left by his boyfriend. He felt pity for the guy. Mingyu thinks that this beautiful creature in front of him doesn't deserve to be hurt like this. As he watches the boy cry, he felt something inside of him. I want to take care of him. I want him to be happy again. I wanthim to feel that he is loved. I want to love him.

 

 

Mingyu wipes the other's tears and he gives him a hug. "Don't worry. I won't do the same. I will not leave you." Mingyu whispers to the guy on his arms. Is it really possible to fall in love with someone you just met? Am I inlove with a guy? Mingyu thought.

 

 

When the guy finally calmed down, he pulled back from Mingyu's arms. "Th..thanks." the guy said shyly.

 

 

"No worries beautiful." Mingyu smiles when he saww the blush on the other's face. "By the way, I 'm Kim Mingyu." Mingyu feel relieved when he saw the other finally smiles.

 

 

"Wonwoo. I'm Jeon Wonwoo."

 

 

-------------------------

 

 

Mingyu and Wonwoo became friends. As Mingyu promised, he never leave the other's side. Though Wonwoo is a year older, Mingyu really took care of him. Mingyu always visit Wonwoo on his house. He really wants to help Wonwoo to recover form pain. Moving on is never an easy thing. So to add more help, Mingyu takes this chance to ask Wonwoo if he can start again, a new beginning.. with him. After 3 months of knowing each other and becoming friends, Mingyu finally confessed his real feelings for the older. At first, Wonwoo hesitates but then he realized that maybe this could help, he and Mingyu can work out so he accepted him and they started dating.

 

 

It's been seven months since Mingyu met Wonwoo. They are both hurting back then. But now, it's really different. Mingyu feel so complete. He can't believe the sudden changes on his luck. He feels like dreaming. All of his sorrows has finally turned into extreme joy. He is very thankful for that day. He is now thankful on his fate. He was even thankful for Seungcheol for breaking up with Wonwoo -- tho that was really rude of him. But seriously, he is very grateful to meet Wonwoo. He never felt this happiness before. Having Wonwoo in his life is the best thing that happened to him. Wonwoo is the best gift he ever received.

 

 

Everytime Wonwoo is on his side, Mingyu is the happiest. Everytime he looks on Wonwoo's eyes he felt that he don't need the sun and the stars anymore for his lover's eyes gives the brightest light on his dim life. Everytime Wonwoo calls his name, Mingyu feels like it's the best music to his ears, he feel like floating on cloud nine. And everytime his lips touches the other's soft lips, it feels like heaven.

 

 

But Wonwoo never kissed back yet. Mingyu was a little disappointed with that but he undertands. He don't want to pressure his lover, he will just wait for it to happen.

 

 

And the day has finally come. They are in the park sitting with their burgers. Mingyu laughed when he saw a mayo on the corner of Wonwoo's lips. Wonwoo is about to get a tissue when Mingyu stops him. Mingyu suddenly wants to volunteer himself in wiping the mayo on Wonwoo. And Mingyu being Kim Mingyu as always, instead of using tissues, he uses his own lips in removing it. He smirks when he felt the other froze on his action. He then adjusts his head to face Wonwoo. After scanning the older's pink soft lips, he pressed his own to it. Mingyu wasn't expecting for return. He just really always want to do it to remind Wonwoo that he is so much loved. But when Mingyu finally feel on pulling back, Wonwoo suddenly moved his lips to answer. Mingyu was totally surprised. He feel so happy so he grins between those kisses. He pulled Wonwoo closer to deepen the kiss. I t was the first and probably the best kiss they ever shared.

 

 

After a minute, they parted. Mingyu chuckles when he saw the older's face full of glow and amusement. But it suddenly fades. Mingyu gets worried and he grabs the other's hand, "Are you okay?" he asked. Wonwoo gently pinches his hand, "Yes" and he smiles.

 

 

"I love you.." Mingyu can't help it. He is so in love right now. Wonwoo didn't answer instead he pulls Mingyu for a hug, "I.. I think.. I love you too."

 

 

Another first time. Mingyu is feeling it. This is the best day of his life. But in just a snap of a finger, it isn't anymore. Wonwoo's phone vibrates so they separated from the hug. Mingyu noticed Wonwoo's uneasyness as he raed the message on his phone. The taller gets confused and worried at the same time. But he was surprised when Wonwoo stands up and pick-up his bag. He immediately grabs the other's arms.

 

 

"Where are you going?"

 

 

"I.. I am going to the market. Mom is asking for some help.. yeah I'm helping my mom." Wonwoo stutters. He is lying. But why? Mingyu thought.

 

 

Mingyu trusts Wonwoo. But not this time, especially when the older didn't allow him to come with him. When Wonwoo walk away, Mingyu followed him.

 

 

Which is a bad idea.

 

 

Mingyu saw Wonwoo.. with Seungcheol, his ex-boyfriend. They are crying and hugging each other as if having a reconciliation. Mingyu felt his heart fell on the ground, shattered into pieces. Maybe life has back on being rude to him, he needs to go back on his worst life, to the reality. The happiness has been expired. He needs to wake up from this dream. It's already a nightmare. It hurts him.

 

 

He went to Wonwoo's house and waited for the older to come. Mingyu stay still when he heard the door opens. Wonwoo was surprised when he saw Mingyu. But Mingyu stares at him blankly and immediately asked him about Seungcheol. Wonwoo acted innocently at first but in the end, he admitted that they are together again.

 

 

Then, the room was filled with heavy atmosphere. The sobbings, exchange of hurtful words filled the room. Mingyu and Wonwoo are both drown in tears. Wonwoo admits that he can't really pay back Mingyu's love and he is really sorry for hurting the younger. Whie Mingyu, on the other hand, is full of hatred which can be seen on his eyes and words. He hates Wonwoo for hurting him. He hates himsellf. He hates this life. Mingyu is overwhelmed with everything that is happening to him. He realized, maybe he is not really meant to be happy. This hate and anger are suffocating him, so Mingyu let it out.

 

 

"I'm so stupid! Wonwoo.. I'm so stupid!"

"I regret that I loved you!"

"Jeon Wonwoo.. you are not worth it."

 

 

He left Wonwoo with those words. And those words haunt him until he got home..

 

 

---------

 

 

Jeonghan get up from the couch and make his way to his room when suddenly he saw Mingyu standing and leaning his back on the door, looking so exhausted. The long haired guy immediately approaches the younger.

 

 

"Mingyu! What happened to you?" he asked worrily. Then, Mingyu fell on his knees, now already sitting on the floor.

 

 

"I lied." Mingyu mumbles.

 

 

"What do you mean? Mingyu what happened?"

 

 

"Hyung.." tears starts to fall again from Mingyu's eyes. Mingyu is lookingon nothing in particular, " I lied .. i lied to Wonwoo.." his voice cracks," I didn't regret anything. I never regret loving him.. never.." Jeonghan wrapped his arms on Mingyu's shoulder, rubbing on his side to give comfort. "I loved him.. so much. He is the best thing that happened to me. He is worth loving. He made me the happiest person in the world. Hyung.." Mingyu faced Jeonghan, his face is so wet in tears, "even though he never loved me.. everything is worth it. I helped him bring back his smile. I made him happy again, even just for a short time. That was worth it. We helped each other without realizing it. He also, changed my life, my miserable life. But now, his gone.. hyuung.. Wonwoo.. he go back to his real happiness.. to Seungcheol. He is happy now.. I'm glad.. he's happy now. He didn't need.. to force himself .. to love me anymore.. I'm happy.. for him.. hyuung.. I'm hap--" Jeunghan pull Mingyu's head to bury on his chest. "Don't fool yourself Kim Mingyu! You are not happy. You're hurt! Admit it. Let that out.. please." and then Mingyu finally burst out his tears.

 

 

Jeonghan feels bad for his friend. He knew Mingyu's story and he knows how hard it is for Mingyu. Mingyu learned what really happiness is when he met Wonwoo. For the first time in his life, Mingyu believes in happy ending because of Wonwoo. But now, that everything has gone.. Wonwoo was gone in Mingyu's life. Jeonghan is worried on how will Mingyu face his life again.

 

 

"Mingyu, as I always told you.. life is like the movies. And you are just in the middle of the story. The is yet to come. We don't know what will happen next, just wait and be positive. Everything will be alright. Maybe there's a reason for this." Jeonghan said in a serious and sad tone. Before, Mingyu doesn't believe that life can be as perfect as movies. But Jeonghan and Wonwoo made him believe.

 

 

"But hyung.. I love Wonwoo."

 

 

"I know. That's why you need to let him go. Remember, if you love someone, you should let him/her go and find his real happiness."

 

 

Mingyu looked up and a tear fall again, "it's hard, but I'll do it. There could be a good result to this, just like in the movies."

 

 

"Yes, Mingyu. Be strong, I know that life is actually better than the movies."

 

 

----------

 

Will he ever find his happiness? Will he fall in love again? Love moves in mysterious way. He never know where it will lead him.