Rescuing Her

The Switch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Did you see the medical team leader?”

Si Jin stopped on his tracks and his ears perks up as he leans in closer to where the conversation is as he heard his soldiers talking about a certain medical team leader, which coincidentally means her, Kang Mo Yeon.

“She’s so beautiful”

He sighed proudly. Yes, of course she is.

“Aigoo... This is the reason why I can’t quit being a soldier. Just looking at her face every day makes the homesick go away”

He nodded his head, expressing his agreement. Yes, of course she has that affect.

“What are you doing?” Dae Young asked him appearing from nowhere and shocking the life out of him, almost busting his eavesdropping position.

“Shhh” Si Jin immediately holds his hand on her friend’s mouth and continues listening to their conversation.

“-I wonder if she has a boyfriend.”

That statement though, Si Jin decided, didn’t share his sentiment. He clenches his teeth as he attentively tried to distinguish their voices. Dae Young smirks at his friend as he understood the situation and swiftly pulls off his friend’s offending hand.

“I am not eavesdropping or anything but I heard it from her medical team that she was here because she rejects the advances of her hospital’s director” the soldier’s voice quivers, slightly defensive.

Si Jin’s brows furrowed at this. ‘What the hell? Who is that director?’ He didn’t leave her to be taken advantage by this-this horrible person. Although on second thought, he was really proud at his girl, he knows she is not that materialistic (no matter how much she protested she is) to fall into someone’s pawn that easily.

“Whoa... I like my woman feisty”

His eyes squints as he heard this, he couldn’t let anyone talk about her like that. 

“YAH! Don’t you even think about it. You’re not compatible-”

Si Jin agreed on this one whole heartedly, planning to know his name and make him an acquaintance. Or so he thought.

“-because I am the one that is much better suited with her”

He couldn’t help it. He tightens his fist and was about to tell them just who she is compatible with, when a hand stopped him.

“Do you think she is much better with you? What happened with the ‘it would happen on the right time and place’?” Dae young told him, knowing that his friend will get what he is trying to say.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Hey Dae Young, can I get the wifi password here?” Mo Yeon hesitatingly called as Dae Young and Si Jin are passing by. Dae Young, upon hearing her stopped and turns, looking at her questioningly as if to ask ‘Why me?’ and then stares at Si Jin’s back who continue to walk toward his car. She avoided his stare pointedly ignoring Si Jin.

“Password you say?” an idea crept up and he smirked as he gestured at Si Jin to come back “I’m sorry but I am not authorized to tell you any passwords, here is the Captain, he’s in charge”

“Yah! What do you think you are doing?” Si Jin called at Dae Young who just saluted at him as he passed them by. ‘That son of the-‘Si Jin perfectly knows what his friend is doing. ‘-he seriously knows how to cheer me up’

“I really need internet right now” she called at him, swallowing her pride and asked for his help. She doesn’t normally like the feeling of asking help from someone because it makes her feel helpless and useless but Si Jin is different case, he knows her and won’t judge.

He nods as a group of soldiers passed by and saluted, taking note of their lingering gazes at the oblivious young woman in front of him and confirming his instincts, it was these soldiers he heard talking before. Sometimes he couldn’t believe her ignorance on the fact that men looked at her appreciatively, even lustful at times. That was the reason why he asked Dr. Chi Hoon before how come she doesn’t have any boyfriend. Well, he could not blame them from looking but that doesn’t mean that he liked it even one bit.

“There’s no other way. Come on” he said, swiftly holding her hand, dragging her towards the car. That would just teach them not to leer at his ‘girl’. Or maybe not.

“YAH! I can walk on my own, you know” she glared at him noticing for the first time the other soldiers holding their laughter at their captain who just got scolded like a little kid.

“Get in or you’ll not get any wifi because the one we have here is exclusive to soldiers” he told her seriously, trying to regain composure and dignity in front of his soldiers.

“Tsked... you don’t have to use enforce on me you know, I would have come peacefully anyway” she rolled her eyes and climbed the car making him smile smugly at the crestfallen look on the soldiers faces. ‘Back off boys, she’s mine’

 “So... How have you been?” Si Jin asked her, breaking the silence that hung upon them. It’s like they forgot how easy it once was to talk to each other, like they were both on guard almost all the time, afraid that he or she might spill something and worsen their situation. Well who could blame them? Just being forced to converse with your ex who you still got feeling for is hard but being trapped for what like 2-3 hour ride is painful.

“Me? I’m fine, been busy with my workload, and career. I’m a professor now” she said proudly albeit a little bit sad. Yes it was her dream before but after everything that happened, she had lost the sense of truly becoming a doctor along with her innocence.

“Oh wow! Congrats. I know you could do it.” Si Jin smiled at her proudly. He knows just how much she wanted that position but he couldn’t help noticing the glimpse of sadness in her eyes and wonders why. ‘She couldn’t possibly regret it?’

“Thanks.” She said off handedly staring at the scenery ”What about you?”

“Me? I’m fine too.” He told her smiling sadly at her, knowing that he couldn’t disclose any information about his job which is what he is doing for the past 8 months.

“I see you’re still the same, as secretive as ever.” She smiled humorlessly at him. It has been their private joke before but now it was just a reminder of their break up.

“I see you’re still the same, as honest as ever.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

(LATER THAT DAY)

“If you become bewitched by a beautiful thing, you become like this.” Si Jin told her the story of the wrecked ship on the island. He brought her here on the island she saw an advertisement of, hoping to talk with her and revive their friendship.

“Have you ever been bewitched?” Mo Yeon asked him, her heart beating wildly at her question. She knew that she shouldn’t ask but curiosity won the battle.

“I have. I think you know.” Si Jin said looking at her in the eyes.

‘Curiosity kills the cat’ she thought feeling her pulse quickens up. This is what exactly she is avoiding. Quickly changing the topic, she pipes up, “You’re wrong you know, about what you said before” she couldn’t back lower the walls on her heart yet.

“What? Where exactly did I go wrong?” he asked her jokingly, as if he’s not used at making mistakes.

“About me being honest. You’ve mistaken me with someone else. I’m not that kind of person anymore. I haven’t been for a while.” She confessed, thinking of what she’s become. Even she didn’t like it, but it’s what she got right now.

“Hey! Stop kidding around. I know you remember? You’re passionate to your work, loving and understanding. Oh, and y at the surgery room” Si Jin pretends to be angry at her and huffs. It didn’t amuse her even one bit.

She knows he meant what he said and she just couldn’t face him thinking like she’s some God-sent miracle. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter