Photograph

The Switch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So she doesn’t have a boyfriend?” Si Jin clarifies holding his spoon on the air as Minguk digs in on his ice cream, not even sparing him a glance.

“Mom doesn’t have one. Minguk always chase them away” he said proudly patting his chest. Si Jin puts his thumb up at Dae Young's direction then hold out his fist to Minguk and the two fists bump.

“Does his mother know you kidnapped her son?” Dae Young asked his friend, staring at Si Jin whose busy scooping ice cream from his tub and sometimes scooping from the boy beside him, comparing the taste.

“Uncle Si Jin did not kidnap me Uncle Dae young! He saved me from the bad guy” Minguk defended Si Jin. Upon hearing the boy’s statement, he smiled and messed up the hair of the boy as he smirked at Dae Young whose eyebrows rose.

“She doesn’t know yet. Minguk and I just met earlier, it’s a long story” Si Jin said off handedly at him, offering the boy his tub. Dae young shakes his head the two unbelieving. ‘They didn’t looked like they’d just met’

“This one tastes better!” Minguk happily scoops up from the tub of ice cream Si Jin is holding, his chin filled with ice cream.

“Really?” Si Jin said, tasting the one on Minguk’s tub “Let’s exchange then”

The two of them were sitting on his bed while Dae Young sits on the chair in front of them, staring at the two in extreme fascination. He had already met Minguk before with Myung Joo on one of his vacations so he’s familiar with the kid but it was the first time he’d notice something about this boy. He couldn’t believe what he is seeing; looking at the two eats ice cream from each other’s tub. They actually looked like father and son. Especially with the two’s bubble tea spilled shirt, ice cream filled mouth and messy eating. He shakes his head at the thought. It was definitely impossible.

“Uncle Dae Young. Are you going to eat that vanilla flavor?” Minguk asked Dae Young giving him puppy eyes. Si Jin laughed at the kid and messes his hair.

“Here” Dae Young smiled at the boy and handed him the tub of vanilla.

“Thanks Uncle” Minguk said appreciatively.

Both of them stared at Minguk as he was now holding two tubs and is cheerfully scooping one after another.

“Yah. You already ate half of the chocolate and strawberry. Your mom would kill me if you got a stomach ache later“ Si Jin told the pouting boy.

“If she doesn’t kill you first when she saw the state her son is right now. You do know that eating ice cream that much is not good for children? You two looked like a mess” Dae Young smirks as Si Jin and the boy looked at each other staring at their shirts.

“You looked dirty Uncle Si Jin” Minguk giggled, still eating.

“Yes, because you’re so clean.” Si Jin said cheekily at the boy, “Aigoo... do you have spare clothes?”

“Yes, in my mom’s office” the boy answered, taking a big scoop of ice cream.

The door suddenly bursts open making the three of them jump, Minguk almost dropped one of the tub he was holding, thankfully, Dae young caught it before it spilled on the ground.

“Hey you’ve got to help me, Mo Yeon’s son is-“ Myung Joo stopped shocked at the sight of the three of them, then glared at Si Jin and Dae Young, dialing someone from her phone. “I’ve seen him. He’s here in Si Jin’s room.” She said, ending the call and turned to the three boys who’ still staring at her.

 Mo Yeon and her had been talking earlier when they’ve reached her office and noticed her friend’s uneasiness, Mo Yeon told her that Minguk is supposed to be back already so they started looking for him.

 “Minguk? Why are you here? Your mom is looking for you everywhere. She told me you were supposed to be back at her office before 6pm.” She said kindly to the little boy, taking note of the boy’s appearance.

Minguk gasped and stared at his pororo digital wrist watch, noting that it was almost 7 pm. The boy handed both tub of ice cream to Si Jin and scramble to get down the bed. “Thank you for today Uncle Si Jin, Uncle Dae Young.” He then holds her hand and start to drag her to the door, “Aunt Myung Joo, we’ve got to go now quick!”

“It’s okay. I already told her you’re here” Myung Joo smiled, stopping the boy and patting his cheek turning to the other two, “What happened to him?”

“It’s not me” Dae Young and Si Jin answered at the same time. She looked at the two suspiciously and was about to ask another question when the door bursts opens again and Mo Yeon entered the room.

“Mom!” Minguk happily run to his mom as she squat and hold her boy’s face, taking in his messy appearance. “What happened?” she said, wiping his face.

They turned to Si Jin as he hides the tubs of ice cream and attempts to go unnoticed, slinking down to his hospital bed. “This isn’t the reunion I am thinking of” he mumbles.

“I don’t know exactly what happened, I just found the two of them here” Dae Young defended himself when Mo Yeon looked at him questioningly, gesturing at Si Jin on the bed.

Mo Yeon squints at Si Jin, not fooled at his sleeping act, and swoops down to carry Minguk. “Yah. I know you’re not sleeping”

Myung Joo and Dae Young looked at each other, communicating silently.

“Oh look at the time!” Myung Joo said winking at Dae Young and feinting surprise, making a big show on looking at her watch. “Visiting hours is almost over.”

“We need to go.” Dae Young said smirking at Si Jin; “Bye” He said giving a hi-five to the boy while Myung Joo kissed the boy’s cheeks

“We need to properly celebrate after Si Jin got discharge. Bye everyone” Myung Joo told them as she link arms with Dae Young and exits the room.

“I didn’t do anything!” Si Jin exclaimed, sitting upright “Yah. Am I that untrustworthy? I didn’t spill his bubble tea on his shirt. I even have evidences on my phone” She might believe him right away if she hadn’t seen the traces of bubble tea on his shirt.

“Mom! He’s saying the truth! Uncle Si Jin-“her left eyebrow rose “-saved me from the bad guy and he gave me many ice cream!” Si Jin wanted to smack himself as Mo Yeon glared at her.

“It’s not what you think! It’s this,” He defended, summarizing what happened earlier, omitting the ‘are you my father’ part, “-and so, I brought him here and bought him ice cream to cheer him up”

“Is that correct?” she asked Minguk checking his arm as the boy nods his head. “I can’t believe that director! I never said I liked him! How can he hurt my son?”

“It is hard to move on from you” Si Jin mumbled staring at her face.

“Does it hurt?” she asked her son getting a first aid paste from her pocket and rubbing it to his skin gently. Minguk shakes his head no.

He couldn’t help but feel warmth in his heart as he watched the scene in front of him. Pulling out his phone he captures the moment, ‘Minguk must have been really lucky for having a mother like Mo Yeon’, he thought.

“Oh! Look mom! Uncle Si Jin is getting our picture!” Minguk pointed out, posing for the camera as she smiled and continue what she is doing.

She felt good, happy that the two of the most important people on her life was right before her, chatting like old friends. She always wonders what would happen when the two finally meet because they seem to have the same attitude and approach on things. ‘Would they stick together like glue or hate each other to the core?’ Guess it was the first. Her phone beeped and she looked at the caller’s id. It was Dr. Chi Hoon.

“Doctor Kang! I need your help, you remember the one time I re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter