Playing Along?

The Switch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hello?” Si Jin answered the phone sleepily. Yesterday had been a very tiring day for him what with helping Mo Yeon move in his house and playing with Minguk. He never knew it can be as tiring as his training. It was supposed to be his small vacation since he was given two weeks of health leave after his discharge from the hospital.

“Sir, Are you the guardian of Kang Minguk? We need you at school right now”

The one statement from the caller was enough to wake him up. Immediately standing up, he sprang into action to make himself more presentable.

“Okay I’ll be there-“ he said, dropping the call. In his haste to get dressed, he almost toppled down his sweat pants. “How do they get my number?” he wonders aloud while brushing his teeth, “Maybe Mo Yeon gave it in case of emergency?”

After a record breaking 10 minutes, he was already parking his car on the school’s driveway then proceeds on the front desk of the daycare center to ask for information. He was led by a young woman who keeps on sneaking looks at him into the principal’s room.

“I’ll leave you here sir” she said after opening the door slightly while blinking numerous times that he wonders if something is wrong with her eyes. The young woman frowns and left him when he ignored her. His attention was caught when he heard a loud scolding voice and a soft crying sound which is kind of familiar to him.

“-you see! This is what happened when a child grew up without a father! Such an insolent, aggressive brat hurting my angelic Terrence-” the woman shrieked making him grit his teeth in anger as he swiftly bursts into the room.

What he saw made him do things he was sure he would regret later. A cantankerous woman was scolding a crying Minguk, holding tightly into his little arm while another kid was hiding behind the woman, smiling smugly at Minguk.

“Let’s be reasonable madam” the principle countered, trying to calm the mad woman. Not noticing his entrance.

“Yah!” Reasonable was the last word he’d think of when he saw Mo Yeon’s son bleeding knee. All of the people present in the room look at him, startled at his outburst. The woman loosens her tight hold on Minguk making him escape as he immediately went to hug Si Jin.

“Are you okay?” he asked. The poor boy can’t stop crying as he swoops down to carry him, burying his head on the crook of Si Jin’s neck.

“Who are you?” the woman asked him, giving him a once over.

“You can’t be Minguk’s father because he doesn’t have one!” the other kid who Si Jin assumed was ‘Angelic Terrence’ pipes up making Minguk cry harder.

“I have a father! He’s my father!” Minguk screamed in a fit, his face was red from crying.

Minguk’s statement causes a stir. Everyone went silent until the hag laughed aloud, making her kid joined in her laughter.

Si Jin clenched his fist as he remembers his rule. He is protecting a child and a beauty, is it okay to ignore the elderly for this case? His patient was running thin as the woman continued to rant.

 “Nonsense. We all know that his famous mother, Dr. Kang, is a single mother. We never heard of her getting married so-“ she said in her irritating voice making him lost his last attempt on holding in his patience.

“I am his father!” he bellowed, one more word from that woman and he swore he would forget his rule, “Yes! I am Minguk’s father!” he repeated looking at their disbelieving faces. At this moment, Si Jin was very thankful that her AID case was not disclosed to public because it might cause a lot of problem. The public just know that she’s a single mother.

“It’s not possible” the hag looked at him

“What? Do I need to show you proof or anything?” Si Jin glared at her as Minguk’s crying turns into sniffs. “Now can you tell me what happened?” he turned to the open mouthed principal who stares at them as if he’s watching a drama.

“That brat you called your son-“ the hag started.

“Listen here madam, I am not usually rude to elders but can you just shut up for a minute and let the principle here talk? I promise you, if my son is at fault, we’ll do anything to earn your forgiveness”

“You do not know me do you? My son, Terrence father is a high ranking military soldier. A second lieutenant. He‘ll be here in another second. You’d better-”

Si Jin smirked and ignored her, choosing to sit beside the principal on the couch, Minguk on his lap as he gestures him to start. The principal cleared his throat making the woman stopped her rant.

“I think it’s better if we listen to the kids because none of us were there to witness the event. After all, kids don’t lie right?” he said gesturing at the kids to start speaking.

“He started it!”Minguk and Terrence exclaimed at the same time, pointing at each other.

“We were just playing football when Minguk hit me!” Terrence started.

“I didn’t! I just pushed you” Minguk answered making Si Jin closed his eyes as the mad woman smiled triumphantly at him. But he got fate on the kid, he knows that even though the boy is playful, Mo Yeon raised him well and would never hurt other.

“Why did you push him?” He asked kindly, ignoring the woman.

“He keeps on telling me I’ve got no father then hides my Dinosaur stuff toy and ripped my dinosaur books!” Minguk exclaimed as if it would solve the problem. Si Jin sighed, he knows that the kid just did what he thought in his young mind was right but it was not the solution. He promised the hag he’d ask for forgiveness and he never breaks a promise even if it hurts his ego.

“Minguk, pushing others even if they ripped your books was not good what if he got hurt-“ he started. Minguk started sniffing again, on the verge of crying.

“But he tripped me first!” Minguk blurted out, raising his bleeding knee.

“What happened?” Si Jin cried loudly, inspecting Minguk and leaning closer to the wound. He then wrapped his handkerchief on the wound and whispered to Minguk, “Why didn’t you say so earlier?”

“Is that true?” the principal asked Terrence sternly making the boy bursts into tears.

“How dare you talk to my grandson like th-“

The door bursts open and in come second lieutenant Lee. Upon seeing him, the man saluted at him, earning gasps from everyone in the room. Si Jin, although only knows the man by the name, smiled at the man and smirked at the woman.

“Major Yoo Si Jin! It’s a pleasure to meet you here!” he said after saluting and goes to his son.

“Y-you know him?” the woman beside them stutters.

“Yes, he’s the soldier I keeps on telling you about. The one who graduated in west point and the youngest Ma-” the soldier gushes.

“Stop. Okay. I get it” the woman turns red in her embarrassment, looking anywhere but him.

The principal coughs, “Mr. Lee your son bullied Minguk” he said gesturing at the little boy in Si Jin’s lap.

“I’m sorry for my son’s behavior you see my wife and I just got separated and he’s still adjusting.” He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter