Bubble Tea

The Switch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PLEASE READ THIS NOTE: Hi guys, I just like to warn you guys to turn off the logical side of your mind for this story because you’ll just get a head ache and we don’t want that. With that said, I hope you guys understand that Minguk should be allowed to enter the hospital.

(AFTER 4 YEARS: APRIL)

“Hi Aunt Ji Soo! Uncle Song!” Kang Minguk energetically greets the two people as he climbs the chair and sits beside them in the cafeteria with Mo Yeon in tow, bringing a tray of food with her.

“Hello!” Both doctors greeted him enthusiastically, smiling at the little boy’s antics and cuteness.

Minguk is Mo Yeon’s son, the end product of the doctor’s Artificial Insemination. Thankfully, her first try was a success considering that this kind of operation has just 30% positive rates.

“Here you go.” Mo Yeon places the bowl in front of Minguk and starts blowing the noodles.

The arrival of her baby, although successful, is not that smooth. He was born with skin asthma that makes things a little bit difficult for her. Being a single parent is no joke and with her demanding job it is just impossible, so she decided to take a one year leave from the hospital and focus her attention to her only son. Her mother disapproves at her decision yet helped her through it all.

She resumed working in the hospital after a year and it was her mother who acts as Minguk’s baby sitter, although, she would sometimes bring him at her office on the hospital whenever she’s not that busy so she can spend quality time with her son. That resulted to the boy’s familiarity on the hospital, in fact, even the staffs and crew knows him now.

Minguk was born on December and he was now 3 years old. He had started school making it a lot easier on her and her mother who swore that even though she loves her grandson very much, whines that she has her own life too. So, it was a relief that Minguk himself, wanted to attend school.

Being a mother is hard, and a single parent just makes it more complicated. It requires patience, endurance, tolerance, self-control and a lot of things she never knew she possessed. Through all that, she never regretted having her son, he was her everything now, her happiness, worth, meaning. She can’t imagine a life without him.

“Hey kiddo, I heard you started schooling?” Dr. Song stares fondly at the mother and child, messing the boy’s hair. He was a bit reluctant at Mo Yeon’s decision at first but he expressed his support. ‘Who was he anyway to stop her?’ But that was long ago, he now adores Minguk to the core along with the other doctors and nurses. His natural cuteness and charm captivated the people around him.

“Yes Uncle. I had many friends already” Minguk told him, happily accepting the chopsticks his mother handed him and started eating.

“What happened? I thought Minguk was supposed to stay with your mother after school?” Ji Soo whispered at Mo Yeon as Dr. Song chats with the little boy.

“My mother” Mo Yeon sighed rolling her eyes, “Remember last year, I told you my mother had met someone? Apparently, he’s rich and offered my mom a month of free trip to Italy.”

Ji Soo’s eyes widened and gasped, “Are you serious? No expenses at all? I’m so jealous!” Mo Yeon nodded agreeing at her friend. “But- you’re already 36, isn’t your mother’s supposed to be 50 something? I mean, no offense, but how old is the guy she’s dating anyway?”

“My mother’s already 55 and I don’t know the age of the guy. We’ve only met a handful of times and in my calculation he could be at his late forties. I don’t know exactly what they see in each other” Mo Yeon told her, watching her son eats his noodles with loud slurping sounds reminding her of someone. She shakes her head as a memory of Si Jin enters her mind. She must have missed that guy so much because she is starting to see him in her son.

Si Jin took a very different route from hers. After Urk, he throws himself into any mission possible abroad and she hasn’t seen him since then. He would occasionally send a letter and a gift on her birthday and even her son’s birthday but that’s it.

“It’s true love. Maybe you’re like your mother and meet-“Ji Soo’s litany was cut off when Minguk laughs aloud and pointed at someone.

“Look mom! Nurse Min-Ji is coming this way!”

 “Dr. Kang! There is an emergency situation. You are needed in the operation room” she says holding on to her knees as she gathers her breath. “We need to hurry”

Mo Yeon looked at Ji Soo and Ji Soo nodded at her, “Don’t worry about Minguk. I’ll bring him to your office and keep an eye on him”

She knows that Minguk knows his way around the hospital but she wanted assurance that he will be safe.

“Minguk, mom needs to work for a while, be a good boy okay?” Mo Yeon told her son and gives him a kiss on the cheek. He nodded albeit a little bit sadly, hugging her mom for a second.

“Save him okay” Minguk whispers at her neck. She smiled at her son’s cuteness. She told him once what her work is; a doctor that saves someone when they are hurt. And from then on, every time she got home from work, he would ask if she saved someone.

“Okay” she pats his hair down and follows Nurse Min-Ji.

“You know? Seeing this kid here eat noodles reminds me of someone but I can’t remember who” Dr. Song scrutinizes Minguk as he eats his noodles with gusto, dancing at an imaginary song.

“You too? I thought I was the only one.” Ji Soo gazes at the boy hard, trying to solve the puzzle. “It feels like I should know, but for the life of me, don’t”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 

“Dr. Kang, you need to sign this first” The new Nurse stops her from entering the surgery room and handing her permission on operation slips, confusing her. It is supposed to be the duty of the guardian of the patient, not hers. ‘Since when does a doctor allowed to sign for a patient’s permission?’

“I think you made a mistake I am not someone’s guardian “she says kindly to the nurse, handing the slips back, intent on opening the door when she was stopped again by the nurse now blocking her way.

“Yah! Do you want the person to die?” she snaps at the nurse trying to go past her. ‘How can she start the operation if they keep on stopping her?!’

“No. The name here says you are the guardian. It’s Major Yoo Si Jin!” the nurse exclaimed. As if saying the magic word, Mo Yeon stops struggling and stares at her in shock. ‘Did I just hear HIS name?’ she thought.

“What? I am not Si Jin’s guardian” she blurted out dumbstruck at the revelation.

“His father is not available at the moment and he named you as his -” Mo Yeon cuts the nurse babbling, snatching the slips on her hand. ‘The more I need to hurry!’ she thought frustrated at the situation as she signs quickly and shoves the nurse out of the way. She’s going to kill him again if he dies on her watch.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“What happened to you?” Mo Yeon asked Si Jin, helping him sit so he could drink his water. He had just woken up since he was brought in, unconscious for almost three days. Thankfully, the operation was a success and they were just waiting for him to recover. He had a gunshot wound near his chest which was lucky he was given first aid or he’d be dead now. She missed him but she doesn’t want to meet him in this situation, ever again.

“I missed you too” Si Jin smiled at her, “You know I am not allowed to divulge informat-“

Si Jin swallowed the lump on his throat. He really missed his girl. So much. He could only stare, taking in her beauty. ‘How can I stay away from her?’

“YAH! You know what I mean, why did you not come back for 4 years?” she said holding back her tears, “I missed you too” She couldn’t deny she missed everything about him, his jokes, laughter, smile and the way he looks at her.

“I was promoted after Urk, and they need more of my service abroad.” He lied through gritted teeth. His service is not really necessary but he just need time to breath and heal himself. Funny his way of breathing is through countless of missions that he buried himself into, even not using his vacation going straight instead to another battle. He was afraid of coming home. Scared that he might not have the nerve to leave again

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter